PDA

View Full Version : Biggest winner of Spurs offseason is Derozen

Noey7448
07-08-2019, 09:46 AM
Really think we are gonna surprise some people this year. We have most balanced team we've had in a long time. Last year was Derozens 1st year in system where he had pressure of guarding other teams best player, til White emerged, and also be teams playmaker. Now he has Murray, White to guard best guards and be playmakers. He also has Carroll and Morris to guard other teams best forwards and hit 3s. We also have Morris who is known to hit clutch shots and Murray who also has that closer mentality. We also have Carroll and Morris to hit 3s and play def which will spread floor much better and more consistently than last year when Pop had to keep swapping out offense for def. With White off the bench in the Manu role, our 2nd unit can also dominate opposing benches. Derozen is primed to have a great year and now has a team that fits him better. Hes no superstar but I do see a Detroit Pistons type of championship as a possibility.

raybies
07-08-2019, 09:48 AM
:tu

drpill
07-08-2019, 09:59 AM
I think the Spurs have done a pretty decent job of building a team around Derozan and Aldridge that mostly plays to their strengths and covers their weaknesses. No surprise there. Just as importantly though they have acquired a couple of guys in Carroll and Morris who are going to round out the veteran core with some experience, skill, toughness and attitude. I saw some swagger at times last year from the Gay/Derozan/Aldridge trio but it didn't sustain itself against top tier competition. Hopefully with the new guys, and the continued improvement of our young guys/return of Dejounte's skillset and leadership, this team will have a more cohesive identity next season.

If Demar can stay focused, continue to define his role on the team both on and off the court, and keep his composure when things aren't going his way, he is in line for a very nice year and we could be looking at a very successful season for the Spurs.

Pavlov
07-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Really think we are gonna surprise some people this year. We have most balanced team we've had in a long time. Last year was Derozens 1st year in system where he had pressure of guarding other teams best player, til White emerged, and also be teams playmaker. Now he has Murray, White to guard best guards and be playmakers. He also has Carroll and Morris to guard other teams best forwards and hit 3s. We also have Morris who is known to hit clutch shots and Murray who also has that closer mentality. We also have Carroll and Morris to hit 3s and play def which will spread floor much better and more consistently than last year when Pop had to keep swapping out offense for def. With White off the bench in the Manu role, our 2nd unit can also dominate opposing benches. Derozen is primed to have a great year and now has a team that fits him better. Hes no superstar but I do see a Detroit Pistons type of championship as a possibility.If Murray is starting w/o White DDR is still going to be the playmaker but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Surrounding him with shooters and defenders is good.

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Guys don’t be surprised if dd is shipped out

Harry Callahan
07-08-2019, 10:09 AM
DeRozan is still a very good player. A team with a lot of young guys and draft picks might be a good trading situation. Still, he can stay in SA and get better with what I see as a good, deep roster.

vavvi
07-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Well. If he's not traded tomorrow

drpill
07-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Guys don’t be surprised if dd is shipped out

I mean, by all means, if he can be traded, please do so. I see our time with Demar as making the best of a bad situation. If Pop and RC have another plan I'm eager to see what it will be.

Duncan87
07-08-2019, 10:20 AM
DD needs to stay away from summer league every time he shows up to support he gets traded lol

NASpurs
07-08-2019, 10:27 AM
DD needs to stay away from summer league every time he shows up to support he gets traded lol

prayingdog.jpg

John B
07-08-2019, 10:31 AM
He needs to help himself tbh, and keep hitting them 3’s and become a better defender

ceperez
07-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Really think we are gonna surprise some people this year. We have most balanced team we've had in a long time. Last year was Derozens 1st year in system where he had pressure of guarding other teams best player, til White emerged, and also be teams playmaker. Now he has Murray, White to guard best guards and be playmakers. He also has Carroll and Morris to guard other teams best forwards and hit 3s. We also have Morris who is known to hit clutch shots and Murray who also has that closer mentality. We also have Carroll and Morris to hit 3s and play def which will spread floor much better and more consistently than last year when Pop had to keep swapping out offense for def. With White off the bench in the Manu role, our 2nd unit can also dominate opposing benches. Derozen is primed to have a great year and now has a team that fits him better. Hes no superstar but I do see a Detroit Pistons type of championship as a possibility.

There's a high chance that DeRozan could be better in his 2nd season with the Spurs.

ZeusWillJudge
07-08-2019, 10:40 AM
If Murray is starting w/o White DDR is still going to be the playmaker but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Surrounding him with shooters and defenders is good.

So are you talking Murray, Forbes, and Morris? I'm pretty sure we'll see that lineup.

DDR is going to be in the SL - he'd go full Prozac if he wasn't. And that pretty much necessitates Forbes. Those two are weak on D, so that points to Murray over White.

Poeltl clogs the paint for Murray and DDR, and Murray is an exceptional rebounder. So Morris over Poeltl, to provide a much-needed extra 3P threat, and a reasonable addition to the defense.

I don't think the Spurs will start the season with that SL, but it looks like a good possibility that's where they wind up.

r0drig0lac
07-08-2019, 10:41 AM
he is the biggest winner because now he can be the worst defender of the team without really hurting the team, he really has a supporting roster with defensive pieces so versatile that it should be encouraging for him. But with the roster built to minimize their weaknesses, he has no excuse for not performing some kind of individual / collective success this season (under normal conditions)

Pavlov
07-08-2019, 10:55 AM
So are you talking Murray, Forbes, and Morris? I'm pretty sure we'll see that lineup.

DDR is going to be in the SL - he'd go full Prozac if he wasn't. And that pretty much necessitates Forbes. Those two are weak on D, so that points to Murray over White.

Poeltl clogs the paint for Murray and DDR, and Murray is an exceptional rebounder. So Morris over Poeltl, to provide a much-needed extra 3P threat, and a reasonable addition to the defense.

I don't think the Spurs will start the season with that SL, but it looks like a good possibility that's where they wind up.Yeah, I put in the other thread the SL I thought would be implemented early:

Murray
Forbes
DeRozan
Morris
Aldridge

And pray that Murray's 3 is better this season. Morris just solves a lot of problems for the SL but Forbes is still needed. White's playmaking would be crucial for the second unit, which I think could end up overwhelming a lot of opponents.

White
Mills/Walker
Carroll/Belinelli
Gay
Poeltl

There's a ton of flexibility there with the new additions. I can see how a DDR-for-Westbrook trade could be exciting, but I'm already pretty jazzed about the possibilities with this roster.

ZeusWillJudge
07-08-2019, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I put in the other thread the SL I thought would be implemented early:

Murray
Forbes
DeRozan
Morris
Aldridge

And pray that Murray's 3 is better this season. Morris just solves a lot of problems for the SL but Forbes is still needed. White's playmaking would be crucial for the second unit, which I think could end up overwhelming a lot of opponents.

White
Mills/Walker
Carroll/Belinelli
Gay
Poeltl

There's a ton of flexibility there with the new additions. I can see how a DDR-for-Westbrook trade could be exciting, but I'm already pretty jazzed about the possibilities with this roster.

Yeah, I think that's where it's got to go. I still think Pop keeps White in the SL for the opener, just because Murray was out for a year and White played so well. And even though it will make a lot of people here scream, DDR and Forbes both improved their defense by the end of the season. Morris for Poeltl I can see happening from the start. The one thing I regret about that is that Poeltl sets really good screens, and I think he's got potential to be a very good roll man. I hate losing that threat from the SL, but they won't allow 6 players on the floor so I think he'll just have to torture second units with the PnR. Morris plays big enough, and offers too much in terms of spacing and defensive range.

One thing I agree with 100% - I'm really excited about the possibilities with this roster. Especially if the young guys have made a few improvements. Not major change - just a little higher 3P% for White, a little better handles and decision making for Murray. I said it in another thread, but I think one of the big challenges is going to be managing an excess of players who could arguably be starting.

I don't see any reason right now why this team shouldn't be looking at the WCF. If they gel right, and maybe see those little improvements in the young guys, they could contend.

Seventyniner
07-08-2019, 12:19 PM
The one thing I regret about that is that Poeltl sets really good screens, and I think he's got potential to be a very good roll man. I hate losing that threat from the SL, but they won't allow 6 players on the floor so I think he'll just have to torture second units with the PnR. Morris plays big enough, and offers too much in terms of spacing and defensive range.

White/Poeltl can definitely do the old Manu/Splitter thing, with shooters around them. I'm not worried about Poeltl coming off the bench.