PDA

View Full Version : amare out all year according to suns insiders

ducks
10-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Call it a year

It's too early to make any binding conclusions, but insiders in Phoenix are betting that Amare Stoudemire won't play at all this season. For one thing, the micro-fracture surgery is serious, even for a strong and healthy 22-year-old. Second, Stoudemire is in no mood to rush back.

"Four months is the minimum time frame," he said. "But in my mind, I want to make sure I'm 115 percent before I'm looking to get out there. It's all about the healing process. I want to come back healthy and better than ever. No matter how long it takes, that's what we're going to do."

When pressed on whether he expects to play this season, he said, "It's possible. If I can heal up the way we're expecting, then I probably will play this year. If not, then probably not. I want to make sure I'm me before I play."

But even as he's waving off some of the doomsday prognostications, he keeps extending the time frame on his return.

He was told that Chris Webber, a micro-fracture returnee, warned that it would take two full years before the knee felt normal again.

"I don't listen to that stuff," Stoudemire said. "My body is totally different than everyone else's. Webber and those other guys had surgery later in their careers. It was more intense because of the area the lesion was in. My problem wasn't that bad, but it was something we wanted to take care of and come back in four to six months."

Do the math: The 2006 NBA playoffs begin six months from this week.

ro_50
10-31-2005, 12:44 PM
I hope he goes get back to being fully healthy before he makes his return.

this is just one year, he has his future to look forward to.

dbreiden83080
10-31-2005, 12:51 PM
This is just a big loss for the NBA, Amare is one of the great young players in the league. He and Lebron are really carrying the torch for the young elite in the NBA. I say no doubt sit it out the rest of the year and get back hopefully healthy next year. A great storyline for the NBA next year hopefully will be Amare back to being the stud of a player he was before the injury.

Summers
10-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Ouch. That sucks.

ObiwanGinobili
10-31-2005, 01:01 PM
I hope he goes get back to being fully healthy before he makes his return.

this is just one year, he has his future to look forward to.

I agree.
He's so young. I 'd hate to see his career ruined becasue he was rushed back on the court before he was ready.
PLus- I want him to be 115% when we kick the Sun's ass! :lol
j/k truthfully - he's one of the few players in the NBA that inspires fear in me as a Spurs fan.

TDMVPDPOY
10-31-2005, 01:04 PM
Should take a year off seriously.

He doesnt wanna come back and down the track could reinjure it...

ploto
10-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Webber finally looks somewhere close to normal this pre-season and hasn't it been over 1 1/2 years.

sa_butta
10-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Really too bad for the Suns, just when they thought the were getting it together.

batman2883
10-31-2005, 01:26 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha thats what they get for thinking they could hang with the Spurs....i hope mike d'antoni realizes his dream is over

Supergirl
10-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Webber finally looks somewhere close to normal this pre-season and hasn't it been over 1 1/2 years.

I don't think Webber has been anywhere close his pre-surgery self. He used to be one of the top 10 PFs in the league, maybe top 3 or 5.

I don't think Amare's prognosis will be as dire, because he's younger. But you never know.

FromWayDowntown
10-31-2005, 01:40 PM
It's a terrible break for a great talent, but he's doing the right thing to take his time with this.

But I suspect that any second thoughts Finley had about deciding against going to Phoenix have been resolved now.

Rummpd
10-31-2005, 01:59 PM
"ha ha ha ha ha ha thats what they get for thinking they could hang with the Spurs....i hope mike d'antoni realizes his dream is over"

I surely hope the above is rarest of opinion of Spurs fans, it sure does not represent mine, as I never wish any player or organization to suffer due to injuries.

Pistons < Spurs
10-31-2005, 02:05 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha thats what they get for thinking they could hang with the Spurs....i hope mike d'antoni realizes his dream is over

Congrats'!!!! You've made the worst post of the day. :rolleyes :rolleyes IDIOT. I thought it was just Philly fans that cheered when players got injured. You sure you're a Spur fan?

Hopefully he heals quickly enough to play some this year, but as others have mentioned, he's too good of a player at such a young age to risk his entire career.

romsey31
10-31-2005, 02:08 PM

Not cool.

romsey31
10-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Call it a year

It's too early to make any binding conclusions, but insiders in Phoenix are betting that Amare Stoudemire won't play at all this season. For one thing, the micro-fracture surgery is serious, even for a strong and healthy 22-year-old. Second, Stoudemire is in no mood to rush back.

"Four months is the minimum time frame," he said. "But in my mind, I want to make sure I'm 115 percent before I'm looking to get out there. It's all about the healing process. I want to come back healthy and better than ever. No matter how long it takes, that's what we're going to do."

When pressed on whether he expects to play this season, he said, "It's possible. If I can heal up the way we're expecting, then I probably will play this year. If not, then probably not. I want to make sure I'm me before I play."

But even as he's waving off some of the doomsday prognostications, he keeps extending the time frame on his return.

He was told that Chris Webber, a micro-fracture returnee, warned that it would take two full years before the knee felt normal again.

"I don't listen to that stuff," Stoudemire said. "My body is totally different than everyone else's. Webber and those other guys had surgery later in their careers. It was more intense because of the area the lesion was in. My problem wasn't that bad, but it was something we wanted to take care of and come back in four to six months."

Do the math: The 2006 NBA playoffs begin six months from this week.

Do you have a link?

Pistons < Spurs
10-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Do you have a link?

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0510/31/D04-366359.htm

romsey31
10-31-2005, 02:55 PM
http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0510/31/D04-366359.htm

Thanks

Carie
10-31-2005, 02:58 PM
This sucks for him and Phoenix, but I have to say I am so glad he's not pushing it. Too much talent there to waste because someone is impatient. Here's hoping he fully recovers!

BillsCarnage
10-31-2005, 03:06 PM

Here's hoping you break a leg. :drunk

BTW, this story was in the a local paper about a week ago. Amare says he'll be back when he's ready. Nice of them to credit the source.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=51439

BigVee
10-31-2005, 03:16 PM
The guy is amazing. I have watched many times some of his games and I still can't believe he gets to the basket from where he starts on the court so quickly and as if there were no defenders on the court. He is something else.

Slo spurs fan
10-31-2005, 03:47 PM
:huh :td

dknights411
10-31-2005, 03:53 PM
I've always liked Amare, and it just sucks for him and Phoenix for this to happen just when things started to look great. I just hope he can be the same dynamic player like he was in the WCF last year when he comes back.

Obstructed_View
10-31-2005, 03:56 PM
That sucks, but I'd rather he miss a year and come back completely healthy. This year will just be a blip. The Suns are probably wishing they'd kept Johnson and Hunter right about now.

thekingrobert
10-31-2005, 04:05 PM
lets hope for his sake he doesnt get all outta shape they always had concerns of him getting too fat in the off season will he be another shawn kemp, we'll see

boutons
10-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Is he already extended or still in rookie contract?

Losing Amare and JJ is real challenge for Mike this year.

HB22inSA
10-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Well, at least he won't light up the Spurs for 44 points/game.

JMarkJohns
10-31-2005, 04:13 PM
cough, cough, BULLSHIT!

The docs say 4/5 months. They say by March. Why should the Suns towel boy say differently. If these "Insiders" had any pull in the case, they'd be named.

It's a little trick of journalism. That and the "Those familier with this line of thinking" garbage.

Why are the doctors just completely disreguarded?

SirChaz
10-31-2005, 04:18 PM
This is just a rehash of earlier statements.

There is nothing new here.

Amare will be back when he is ready.

4 months or 12, nobody knows for sure. His rehab schedule still calls for 4 months. We will only know how close he is after the 4 months has passed.

Anyone that tells you they know for sure when he will return is lying.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-31-2005, 04:30 PM
Now we will have to wait an entire season until we prove to suns fans that their new team is inferior to last years.

JMarkJohns
10-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Not sure what fans you've been talking to, but once JJ opted for Hotlanta, every Suns fan I know of was blasting the Suns ups for letting Championship contention slip away.

Perhaps the Suns needed it proved to them...

BillsCarnage
10-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Is he already extended or still in rookie contract?

Losing Amare and JJ is real challenge for Mike this year.

The extension doesn't kick in until next season.

tlongII
10-31-2005, 05:24 PM
No surprise. The original estimate of 4 months was ridiculously optimistic. It's been over 6 months for Zach and he still isn't close to his pre-injury self.

SirChaz
10-31-2005, 05:51 PM
No surprise. The original estimate of 4 months was ridiculously optimistic. It's been over 6 months for Zach and he still isn't close to his pre-injury self.

I guess that would mean something if they had exactly the same injury.

...and the same work ethic.

JMarkJohns
10-31-2005, 05:52 PM
Zach's injury was worse. Please. There are various forms of surgery for various forms of injury.

Fact is, it was a lesion no bigger than 1 centimeter and in a non-load bearing area of the cartilage. It happened in March. He sat out a few games and trucked on.

SirChaz
10-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Zach's injury was worse. Please. There are various forms of surgery for various forms of injury.

Exactly.

Didn't Randolph have ligament damage of some kind?

And for people jump on the Suns fans for drinking the Kool-Aid nobody is saying he will for sure be back after 4 months.

This "article" does not tell us anything new. The medical prognosis for his recovery has not changed from what it was the day after the surgery.

ducks
10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
why would sun fans want him to rush back

do they not think nash can play for 2 more seasons at the high level he played at last year?

amare is not going to be the same tell next year... even if he comes back this year

JMarkJohns
10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
None of the articles I've found said the extent of the microfracture surgery, but a few added that he had bone contusions as well.

At any rate, Randolph was never expected to be back sooner than six to seven months.

We're just finishing the seventh month. He's obviously able to play, just not up to full strength, but then, like you mentioned, he was a fat and has never had the health or work ethic of Amare.

SirChaz
10-31-2005, 06:21 PM
why would sun fans want him to rush back

do they not think nash can play for 2 more seasons at the high level he played at last year?

amare is not going to be the same tell next year... even if he comes back this year

I want Amare to come back when he is ready to come back.

I am comfortable with Amare and the doctors deciding when.

I am not going to write off Amare's season becuse Webber or Randolph took longer to recover from their injuries.

Like I said earlier, anyone that says that they know for sure when that will be is lying or they don't know what they are talking about.

samikeyp
10-31-2005, 06:22 PM
As much as I dislike his owner and his coach....I do like and respect Amare's game. I hope he can come back 100% no matter how long it takes.

E20
10-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Hopefully, he gets better.

boutons
10-31-2005, 07:33 PM
"he has his future to look forward to."

We ALL are looking forward to his future. :)

exstatic
10-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Four months was never a realistic timeframe, but they had to sucker fans into buying season tix, and they wouldn't have if they said he was out for the year.

This may be a blessing in disguise for the young man. If his gifts are diminished, he may actually have to learn how to play the game of basketball. I know this will be heresy, but I've always thought that Amare = Darryl Dawkins : a basket full of snazzy dunks and points, and nothing else. He won't block your shot, or frankly, defend you in any other way, and if the rebound doesn't fall into his hand, he won't get it.