PDA

View Full Version : Should we rest Lonnie

Dhbsr555
07-09-2019, 04:44 AM
He has shown he’s the best player in summer league IMO.. and I believe he will be in the rotation for us this year I just don’t want to risk anything at this point.. I’d rather see Luka Weatherspoon and kj.

Hyperhypo
07-09-2019, 05:46 AM
I was thinking this had to be his last game

tmtcsc
07-09-2019, 07:55 AM
Did anyone else see him limping at the end of the game ? Dude hits the ceiling on his jump shots.

GreekSpursfan
07-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Rest him? If he can't make it through playing against scrubs for a few games how is he going to make it against NBA competition? He's not the No1 overall pick that a team has invested so much on(Zion), he's a guy that has to continuously prove stuff, like the fact that he can stay healthy for a few games against scrubs. I would play him more to gain even more confidence as well.

Dhbsr555
07-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Rest him? If he can't make it through playing against scrubs for a few games how is he going to make it against NBA competition? He's not the No1 overall pick that a team has invested so much on(Zion), he's a guy that has to continuously prove stuff, like the fact that he can stay healthy for a few games against scrubs. I would play him more to gain even more confidence as well.

I just don’t want to risk injury is all I’m saying

SpursGenius
07-09-2019, 08:41 AM
He needs to dominate more than one game. Crater face will play belli and patty over Lonnie anyway

exstatic
07-09-2019, 10:15 AM
He needs to dominate more than one game. Crater face will play belli and patty over Lonnie anyway

He's had 3 games of 20+ between the two summer leagues.

EricB
07-09-2019, 10:17 AM
I’d shut him down. However he’s got a check list of stuff to get through and I’m not certain he’s done with them yet. He might get one more game.

Dex
07-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Shut him down. He's proven all he needs to prove.

If PATFO doesn't want to play him after last game, putting up another 30pt performance isn't going to move the needle.

No need to risk injury and stunt his growth further. Let him rest up and get ready for training camp.

Harry Callahan
07-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Yes.

spursparker9
His jumper already better than Nephew when Nephew was in 2nd YEAR

Ed Helicopter Jones
Are NBA players made of glass these days??

I understand the concern, but what the hell. Do guys put their bodies under so much stress from training that they're just totally injury prone?

I was listening to Reggie Theus this morning talking about how during Theus's rookie season that Artis Gilmore used to drink 10-12 beers after every game and he'd have Theus be his personal Uber. I'm not sure I ever remember Artis being hurt, ever, and there was no load management back then. And then you have Lonnie Walker, a ripped 20 year old, and he can't last for 5 meaningless summer league games?

It's baffling.

exstatic
07-09-2019, 10:23 AM

I understand the concern, but what the hell. Do guys put their bodies under so much stress from training that they're just totally injury prone?

I was listening to Reggie Theus this morning talking about how during Theus's rookie season that Artis Gilmore used to drink 10-12 beers after every game and he'd have Theus be his personal Uber. I'm not sure I ever remember Artis being hurt, ever, and there was no load management back then. And then you have Lonnie Walker, a ripped 20 year old, and he can't last for 5 meaningless summer league games?

It's baffling.

Spurs are known for looking for specific things, and then shutting down players after they see them. Kawhi played ONE SL game his second year. IIRC they shut down Dejounte after a few games his second season, too.

tonight...you
07-09-2019, 10:25 AM

It's baffling.
The lesson to be learned? Drink more beer.

Dex
07-09-2019, 10:27 AM

It's baffling.

I'm still overly cautious after watching Murray, White, and Walker all go down within the span of like a week last season. And that was just during training camp / preseason (which guys actualy have to participate in). I believe Lonnie would've gotten many more minutes in San Antonio last season if he hadn't torn his meniscus and pushed his timetable back.

I'd love to see Walker play more and have more time to work some kinks out, but let's be honest...one missed step or silly foul, and he could be out for weeks or months at a time which would delay his progression for another year. Not worth the risk for a some meaningless games in which he has already proven he can be the best player on the court.

r0drig0lac
07-09-2019, 10:29 AM
The lesson to be learned? Drink more beer.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bobo.gif

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Spurs are known for looking for specific things, and then shutting down players after they see them. Kawhi played ONE SL game his second year. IIRC they shut down Dejounte after a few games his second season, too.

I'm not opposed to them shutting him down, especially considering last year, and the goal of working him into the rotation. It's a good call I think. I'm just confused about why these guys are so fragile when they're so highly tuned, physically, compared to what guys were doing 30 years ago.

ulosturedge
07-09-2019, 10:33 AM
They should shut him down. There is still training camp to get some more work in. Most of what he needs in development is on the defensive end now. He has the physical tools, he just needs to put it all together.

Keepin' it real
07-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Should we rest Lonnie

That depends. Are "we" pussies in constant fear of getting an ouch? If so, sure, rest him.

But if "we're" a team committed to improving young talent and giving them more experience whenever possible, then put him back out there.

exstatic
07-09-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm not opposed to them shutting him down, especially considering last year, and the goal of working him into the rotation. It's a good call I think. I'm just confused about why these guys are so fragile when they're so highly tuned, physically, compared to what guys were doing 30 years ago.

Players, overall, are stronger and more athletic than they were 30 years ago. The playoffs are also MUCH longer if you're a contender. I'm not sure about A-Train's era, but I once looked it up, and every one of those 10-11 1960s Boston titles in the Russell era required them to only win two playoff series. Now, you have to win four.

FkLA
07-09-2019, 10:41 AM

One of those shutdowns was not like the other. Neph was just that dominant. Instagram Baller OTOH got "shutdown" to save him from further embarrassment. Bryn stole the show despite all the hype about how it was IB's time/team.

Mugen
07-09-2019, 11:06 AM
Zero reason for him to play another SL game tbh. Zero.

buujness
07-09-2019, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure what else he could prove in the Summer League. He's clearly the best player on the floor when he's out there. Nobody can stop him.

I'd shut him down and see how the other fare going forward.

duncan2k5
07-09-2019, 11:28 AM

I agree with this

duncan2k5
07-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Lonnie could get shut down now and injured in the preseason... If he really is healthy, fear of injury should never be a reason to sit a young player... He hasn't even made the regular rotation yet... For all we know Pop will have him in the G league again... Play him and let him build confidence

Seventyniner
07-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Players, overall, are stronger and more athletic than they were 30 years ago. The playoffs are also MUCH longer if you're a contender. I'm not sure about A-Train's era, but I once looked it up, and every one of those 10-11 1960s Boston titles in the Russell era required them to only win two playoff series. Now, you have to win four.

This. And in addition, players play much faster now than back then, in that the toll they take on their joints is much higher. Can you see a player from the 80s dig in to the post and sprint out to contest a 3, over and over?

tmtcsc
07-09-2019, 11:47 AM
One of those shutdowns was not like the other. Neph was just that dominant. Instagram Baller OTOH got "shutdown" to save him from further embarrassment. Bryn stole the show despite all the hype about how it was IB's time/team.

Exactly. DJ was awful and may have even told the coaches he couldn't go because of an injury. That dude is one of the most unproven, over-hyped players to ever suit up for the Spurs. As a Spurs fan, I hope he lives up to all the behind the scenes props he's been getting but he's only shown occasional flashes of being useful. Don't get me started on his IG videos. All that unguarded, unpressured stuff counts for nothing.

OldMan88
07-09-2019, 11:54 AM
As long as they’ve seen what they needed to see, shut him down. No need to risk injury when goals have been accomplished.

Everyone needs to remember there are players still trying to impress and make a team, and those guys can be loose cannons that may inadvertently cause a severe injury to another player while diving for a ball or some other crazy hustle play. It’s not prudent to expose a valuable asset any longer than necessary. Same reason to pull starters during a blowout.

Mr. Body
07-09-2019, 11:57 AM
If so, only to work on his playmaking and to see if he can warm up quickly. If so, not starting him and seeing how he does coming off the bench.

I'd give more time to Keldon, Q, see what they can do, get them reps.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Sure, you've seen what you need to see and you have other players who would benefit from more time and touches in SL.

Blackhaus
07-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Let him play if he wants too, injuries can happen at any time. I’m already cringing every time he jumps, he’s very reckless with his athleticism. Whether it happens now or next year, not much anyone can do about it. You don’t get better by not playing.

Blackhaus
07-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Sure, you've seen what you need to see and you have other players who would benefit from more time and touches in SL.

that would be the only reason imo, to give more looks to other people.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-09-2019, 12:14 PM
He should get shut down when he's met the objectives set out for him by PATFO. Not sooner. It's not "play it by ear" or feel thing. I'm sure he and every player have definitive aspects of their game that is communicated to them they need to refine and when they show they have done it at this level, then it's time to allow someone else to work on theirs.

So, whatever those objectives are (# of minutes, outside shooting, on and off ball defense, etc.), he sits and watches or plays sparingly after displaying EACH GAME that he can do it.

Chinook
07-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Nah. Thread's ridiculous. If Walker gets hurt, he gets hurt. You don't put him in bubble wrap unless he has a legit medical reason. You let him go out there and try to win a title.

07-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Old ass Spurs fans that despise their players for using instagram are one of the reasons Spurs will never be a primetime destination for FAs :lol

1990s small town feel isn't the destination a 24 year old, social media using, superstar athlete is looking for :lol

RGMCSE
07-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Trade him the fuck outta here. He’s the biggest overhyped bust I’ve ever seen. Dude is balling against rec league stars and can’t play a lick of defense.

BackHome
07-09-2019, 01:19 PM
Zion was shut down just after getting his knee banged in first game.

spurraider21
07-09-2019, 01:43 PM
That depends. Are "we" pussies in constant fear of getting an ouch? If so, sure, rest him.

But if "we're" a team committed to improving young talent and giving them more experience whenever possible, then put him back out there.
he's not going to gain anything playing against summer league competition. he's already too good to be there. injury risk is always there, but its especially stupid to let it happen when there's absolutely no reason for the guy to be on the floor.

his next step is to show up in preseason against NBA players

timtonymanu
07-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Exactly. DJ was awful and may have even told the coaches he couldn't go because of an injury. That dude is one of the most unproven, over-hyped players to ever suit up for the Spurs. As a Spurs fan, I hope he lives up to all the behind the scenes props he's been getting but he's only shown occasional flashes of being useful. Don't get me started on his IG videos. All that unguarded, unpressured stuff counts for nothing.

My sentiment exactly and I actually am a Murray fan.