Is OP bonafide?

GAustex
07-09-2019, 07:38 PM
He jumps so hard and high I am afraid something going to break
But he looks better this year
Hope it translates into the big boy games

Roscoe P. Coltrane
07-09-2019, 07:40 PM
He's an athletic Gary Neal with out Gary Neal's defense.

GreekSpursfan
07-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Why jinx him op why?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-09-2019, 11:39 PM

I like the Gary Neal defense sarcasm.

Dennis the Menace
07-09-2019, 11:41 PM

I miss Gary Neal’s commercials with Tiago

EricB
07-09-2019, 11:46 PM
The next Jimmy Butler

Dhbsr555
07-09-2019, 11:50 PM
The next Jimmy Butler
I see a lot of jimmy in his game

Spurtacular
07-10-2019, 02:08 AM
Walker gonna be the next Simmons, tbh.

SouthTexasRancher
07-10-2019, 05:42 AM
Is OP bonafide?

Well this is the 7th reincarnation of the bomb. I wonder if Kori and timvp are going to let him get to #10...?

dabom6
07-10-2019, 02:40 PM
Well this is the 7th reincarnation of the bomb. I wonder if Kori and timvp are going to let him get to #10...?

That guy is an impostor. :lol

polandprzem
07-10-2019, 02:48 PM
I think few minutes in Summer League game made him a superstar already and we need to think about supermax for him pretty quick

cool cat
07-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Kyle Anderson tore up the Summer League once upon a time, hell J Simms did as well.

duncan2150
07-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Kyle Anderson tore up the Summer League once upon a time, hell J Simms did as well.

And they were good bench players, just what we want for Lonnie next year.

cool cat
07-10-2019, 03:17 PM
And they were good bench players, just what we want for Lonnie next year.

Title of the thread is Superstar, not good bench player.

ceperez
07-10-2019, 04:08 PM
If he puts pace in his game (which he is indeed doing in Summer league), then he'll be a pretty good player. It's the bulk, athleticism and feel for the rim that is impressive for a 20 year old.

If he's shooting like the last game in SL, then he should be in the starting lineup with Forbes moving to the 2nd team.

White/Walker/DeRozan/Gay/Aldridge
Murray/Forbes/Belinelli/Caroll/Poetl

Subs: Mills, Johnson, ? (MLE)

Reserves: Metu, Samanic

2-Way: Eubanks, Weatherspoon

duncan2k5
07-11-2019, 02:47 AM
If Lonnie gets benched for Patty Mills and Bryn Forbes, he might walk when free agency comes for him and I wouldn't blame him

Pavlov
07-11-2019, 02:53 AM
If Lonnie gets benched for Patty Mills and Bryn Forbes, he might walk when free agency comes for him and I wouldn't blame him:lol preemptive whining

duncan2k5
07-11-2019, 03:02 AM
:lol preemptive whining

Tbh... Lol

monty4329
07-11-2019, 03:11 AM
Sure, it is between him, LBJ and KL

dabom7
07-11-2019, 03:18 AM
That guy is an impostor. :lol

You're an impostor, faggot. :lol

SAGirl
07-11-2019, 06:31 AM
He has looked great. Presumably he was shut down for summer league. I definitely look forward to watching him this season. :tu

RC_Drunkford
07-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Donovan Mitchell dominated Summer League like Lonnie and went on to average 20 Points per game in the NBA as a starter that season. While Mitchell was a way better defender than Walker, offensively they are quite similar. So yeah Walker's game should translate well and he should at least average 10 PPG

look_at_g_shred
07-11-2019, 09:28 AM
If he is taking beli's minutes this year, he's going to be a problem.

r0drig0lac
07-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Lonnie's first step is elite level even on the nba, and his shooting mechanics are excellent, it's not just about the numbers but about the kind of skill he has, and Lonnie's strengths will be strong anywhere.

ceperez
07-11-2019, 11:44 AM
Donovan Mitchell dominated Summer League like Lonnie and went on to average 20 Points per game in the NBA as a starter that season. While Mitchell was a way better defender than Walker, offensively they are quite similar. So yeah Walker's game should translate well and he should at least average 10 PPG

Spurs got a Donovan Mitchell player in the backcourt to play with Murray (2nd Team NBA defense) and White. The next step is to see how well they can play together!

8FOR!3
07-11-2019, 12:04 PM
Jonathon Simmons was an undrafted prospect who was 5 years older. Kyle Anderson lacked athleticism and shooting, you could see that at any stage but his overall skill, ball handling, and defense isn't really in question he is just held back bc he isn't athletic and can't shoot the ball.

Lonnie is 20 years old, has improved substantially from last year to this year, seemingly has a really good attitude, and has no glaring holes in his game or at least nothing that hasn't significantly improved already.

Floyd Pacquiao
07-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Watching Lonnie I get the same amount of excitement as i did watching young kawhi. And I just don't say this about any player

cjw
07-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Jonathon Simmons was an undrafted prospect who was 5 years older. Kyle Anderson lacked athleticism and shooting, you could see that at any stage but his overall skill, ball handling, and defense isn't really in question he is just held back bc he isn't athletic and can't shoot the ball.

Lonnie is 20 years old, has improved substantially from last year to this year, seemingly has a really good attitude, and has no glaring holes in his game or at least nothing that hasn't significantly improved already.

Exactly, no comparison. Anderson and Simmons dominated for those exact reasons.

Mugen
07-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Needs to get over himself first.

ivanfromwestwood
07-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Didn't Bryn Forbes dominate Summer League last year

4lifecowboy
07-11-2019, 12:57 PM
Certain players have an it factor that is obvious. Forbes is good but he doesn't have that "it" factor, Lonnie does.

BSfromTX
07-11-2019, 01:00 PM
Pull up jumper is super smooth. I kinda wish he wouldn’t be so quick to settle for so many jumpers, but he has found the space so easily it’s hard to be critical.

itzsoweezee
07-11-2019, 01:31 PM
I hope he actually gets to play. My guess, though, is he averages less minutes next season than Mills and Bellineli

ceperez
07-11-2019, 01:35 PM

That was D. White.

Bryn Forbes dominated the previous year.

Mr. Body
07-11-2019, 01:35 PM

People are sleeping on how greatly Forbes improved last year. Dude legit was competitive in the NBA playoffs.

bluebellmaniac
07-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Let me just take the time right now to be the first to say that I think he's going to be pretty good. Heard it here first.

Pavlov
07-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Didn't Bryn Forbes dominate Summer League last yearBryn was 23.

Why do you guys keep doing this to yourselves?

spurraider21
07-11-2019, 04:57 PM
bryn was putting up big points but shooting 40-43% from the field during last year's summer league. he wasn't as good a summer league player as anderson was. and as mentioned, he was 23 with ample NBA experience

hombre
07-11-2019, 11:59 PM
Yeah, hoping the post season showed Bryn the way. Spurs looking to compete this year.

Ice009
07-12-2019, 12:42 AM
Bryn was really locked in during the second half of game 7. He really showed me something. When the pressure was at it's highest, he was really focused and locked in. I didn't think he was a great player, and didn't even want him in the rotation at the end of games, but he really did show some toughness in the second half of that game 7 on the road. I will give him props for that.

tim_duncan_fan
07-12-2019, 01:08 AM
People are sleeping on how greatly Forbes improved last year. Dude legit was competitive in the NBA playoffs.
With the very few guys on the team that show guys on a regular basis, I'm kinda tired of people disrespecting Forbes, tbh. Dude was great for us.

We would not have made the playoffs without Forbes.

EricB
07-12-2019, 02:33 AM

And Bryn forbes is a solid guard off the bench and one of the best shooters.

cutewizard
07-12-2019, 03:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyKyvVLMVQI

cutewizard
07-12-2019, 03:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70khKN4Dd3E

cutewizard
07-12-2019, 03:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSkQ4hcMeIs

Spurtacular
07-12-2019, 04:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSkQ4hcMeIs

1:42 I was gonna post this play. Sweetest play of the summer.

ceperez
07-12-2019, 04:38 AM
Yeah, the hesitation and then the drive. If he gets Tony parker skills and learns to finish with contact and off balance, then he'll be unstoppable.

Lonnie has all the talent, he just has to start playing assuming he doesn't have that athleticism. Keep adding more tools to the tool box.

In terms of raw athletic talent, I think the two best wings in the Spurs are Lonnie and Keldon. These two players can build a lot of muscle without compromising their game. What I didn't like about Bertans is that he didn't build more muscle for fear it would compromise his game. But Bryn Forbes did show that you could add a lot of bulk and still keep on shooting.

kobyz
07-12-2019, 07:28 AM
his game doesn't translate to winning basketball, like a Zach LaVine type player, but not as freaky athlete

Mr. Body
07-12-2019, 07:42 AM
his game doesn't translate to winning basketball, like a Zach LaVine type player, but not as freaky athlete

Why don't we let him play first?

emanueldavidginobili
07-12-2019, 08:17 AM
What’re you basing this off of?

picnroll
07-12-2019, 08:26 AM
As impressive as Walkers scoring was in SL equally encouraging was the way he dialed up his defense in Vegas and in the second half of the last game he used the attention he was drawing on offense to get good looks for his teammates. Impressive and a hopeful sign of good things to come in those areas.

Russ
07-12-2019, 10:37 AM
As impressive as Walkers scoring was in SL equally encouraging was the way he dialed up his defense in Vegas and in the second half of the last game he used the attention he was drawing on offense to get good looks for his teammates. Impressive and a hopeful sign of good things to come in those areas.

I was a skeptic of Walker and can't be happier about looking so wrong. I was at the Toronto SL game and Walker passed the eye test big time (even his D looked at least on the scale).

The only thing that really concerns about Walker is -- he seems a bit happy-go-lucky. Does he have "killer instinct?" Would he rather die than lose?

Every title team must have one (at least) such guy and, so far, I can't figure out who that is on this Spurs roster. (Duncan and Manu both fit the bill in earlier days -- either one might have been enough.)

This is not just on Walker, no one else on the team fits the bill either.

Sometimes a coach can be that guy, but that's a bit tricky with a 70 year-old coach.

White and Forbes might have that potential, but both are late-bloomers so they don't have that alpha-dog since the age of ten mystique.

My guess is the team is grooming Forbes for that role, he showed killer instinct in the Denver series (let the righteous outrage begin :)).

If you think that Forbes is getting minutes that he doesn't deserve, that might be part of the reason.

ceperez
07-12-2019, 10:43 AM
I was a skeptic of Walker and can't be happier about looking so wrong. I was at the Toronto SL game and Walker passed the eye test big time (even his D looked at least on the scale).

The only thing that really concerns about Walker is -- he seems a bit happy-go-lucky. Does he have "killer instinct?" Would he rather die than lose?

Every title team must have one (at least) such guy and, so far, I can't figure out who that is on this Spurs roster. (Duncan and Manu both fit the bill in earlier days -- either one might have been enough.)

Sometimes a coach can be that guy, but that's a bit tricky with a 70 year-old coach.

White and Forbes might have that potential, but both are late-bloomers so they don't have that alpha-dog since the age of ten mystique.

My guess is the team is grooming Forbes for that role, he showed killer instinct in the Denver series (let the righteous outrage begin :)).

If you think that Forbes is getting minutes that he doesn't deserve, that might be part of the reason.

Spurs had wanted to get Klay Thompson but he was picked #11 instead of #15 (Leonard). The argument at the time was his killer instinct.

Now what about Lonnie? Well, if you listened to the Donovan Mitchell interview last year during the draft, he said something to the effect that Lonnie had the same mentality as he has.

Mr. Body
07-12-2019, 10:59 AM

I think you've identified two good possibilities. I'm impressed with Forbes. I know people don't like him here -- because wankers -- but he's busted his ass and visibly improved, very quickly, as the season went on last year. He's a tough guy and wants to be as great as he can in this league. I hope we don't lose him, but understand his limits.

White is a guy I think will grow into a leader. I think he's still deferential and still figuring things out, but I figure Pop sees a leader in him. Goodness knows he has nearly the total package right now. Really. He's great with the ball, great vision, good shooter, terrific defender.

Mugen
07-12-2019, 11:02 AM
And Bryn forbes is a solid guard off the bench and one of the best shooters.

Off the bench? Weird, I don't remember him coming off the bench last year.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-12-2019, 11:04 AM
I've been talking about this kid since after the All Star break. He had all the physical tools and his shot wasn't broken coming from school. He so far has shown that he likes to work and wants to get better. If he stays healthy and keeps working the skies the limit!

He is going to beat out Marco and maybe even Carroll for more minutes than a lot of people on here think. He has to tighten up his off the ball defense to really cut into Carroll's playing time and I think the coaching staff will continuously be in his ear about that

Mr. Body
07-12-2019, 11:05 AM
I've been talking about this kid since after the All Star break. He had all the physical tools and his shot wasn't broken coming from school. He so far has shown that he likes to work and wants to get better. If he stays healthy and keeps working the skies the limit!

He is going to beat out Marco and maybe even Carroll for more minutes than a lot of people on here think. He has to tighten up his off the ball defense to really cut into Carroll's playing time and I think the coaching staff will continuously be in his ear about that

Frankly I don't think Carroll is his opposition. Marco's more in line, yeah.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-12-2019, 11:09 AM
I think you've identified two good possibilities. I'm impressed with Forbes. I know people don't like him here -- because wankers -- but he's busted his ass and visibly improved, very quickly, as the season went on last year. He's a tough guy and wants to be as great as he can in this league. I hope we don't lose him, but understand his limits.

White is a guy I think will grow into a leader. I think he's still deferential and still figuring things out, but I figure Pop sees a leader in him. Goodness knows he has nearly the total package right now. Really. He's great with the ball, great vision, good shooter, terrific defender.

I agree Forbes got better and better as the season went on. I hated his defense early in the season but he started to figure things out and wasn't completely trash by the end of the season. He got way better overall on offense which definitely helped the team be more dynamic on that side of the ball. Forbes worked his ass off and has made himself into an NBA player.

White is awesome! My only gripe with White is he needs to be more aggressive on offense. His shot from 3 will be at the very least league average I'm sure because he shot okay from there this season and he was good in school. He just needs to be a bit more aggressive on offense which would open up so many shots for his teammates

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Frankly I don't think Carroll is his opposition. Marco's more in line, yeah.

I agree Walker is more of a 2 than a 3 but I feel coming off the Bench he can play some 3 which is where Carroll will play some of his minutes. Carroll I'm sure will play the 4 also but I think initially Pop is going to play Carroll at the backup 3 spot more until a player can beat him out or he plays like shit guarding 3's.

exstatic
07-12-2019, 11:27 AM
I agree Forbes got better and better as the season went on. I hated his defense early in the season but he started to figure things out and wasn't completely trash by the end of the season. He got way better overall on offense which definitely helped the team be more dynamic on that side of the ball. Forbes worked his ass off and has made himself into an NBA player.

White is awesome! My only gripe with White is he needs to be more aggressive on offense. His shot from 3 will be at the very least league average I'm sure because he shot okay from there this season and he was good in school. He just needs to be a bit more aggressive on offense which would open up so many shots for his teammates

Not sure where that is coming from. He shot 40% at Colorado, and very well his rookie year, like phenomenally well in a small sample. He had pretty much chronic plantar fasciitis last year, leading to two stints on the shelf, and if you think that won't affect your jump shot then you don't understand shooting at all. League averages is about 35%, and I see Derrick shooting somewhere between 38 and 40%. If you think that's not a big difference, on 100 shots, 35% is 105 points, 38% is 114 points, and 40% is 120 points.

picnroll
07-12-2019, 12:20 PM
I’m a Forbes fan and have been since before last season started. He busts his ass, has made steady improvement, never appears to complain and I don’t think his defense is as bad as most make out to be. I expect he’ll show more improvement this year as well. Clowns who talk about dumping Forbes, ridiculous. Some have invested so much of bashing Forbes in their Spurstalk persona that they can’t/won’t admit they’re wrong. He does tend to get down on himself though when his shots not falling which a leader shouldn’t do and which he should get over.

ceperez
07-12-2019, 12:35 PM
I’m a Forbes fan and have been since before last season started. He busts his ass, has made steady improvement, never appears to complain and I don’t think his defense is as bad as most make out to be. I expect he’ll show more improvement this year as well. Clowns who talk about dumping Forbes, ridiculous. Some have invested so much of bashing Forbes in their Spurstalk persona that they can’t/won’t admit they’re wrong. He does tend to get down on himself though when his shots not falling which a leader shouldn’t do and which he should get over.

Bottom line is Forbes exceeded expectations when he was one of few Spurs with a pulse in game 7 against the Nuggets. You can't teach this kind of mental attitude.

Chomag
07-12-2019, 02:12 PM
I hope he doesn't have an uncle tbh

cjw
07-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Bottom line is Forbes exceeded expectations when he was one of few Spurs with a pulse in game 7 against the Nuggets. You can't teach this kind of mental attitude.

Too bad Forbes hasn’t made Mills expendable yet. Or at least in PATFO’s eyes

SpursDynasty85
07-12-2019, 02:21 PM
Too bad Forbes hasn’t made Mills expendable yet. Or at least in PATFO’s eyes

I honestly thought Forbes was set to do just that especially after his G League and Summer League Stints. I was always pretty high on him being a rotation player but i was probably 1 year too early for them to lose Patty and the bigger breaking point was knowing Manu was going to leave at any given moment.

That being said, Patty was just voted the "backbone of the team" award. Rumors are the Spurs locker room, especially the Summer League guys, are gelling well and hanging out together. This kind of stuff is the reason Spurs are perennial winners and Knicks are... the Knicks.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Not sure where that is coming from. He shot 40% at Colorado, and very well his rookie year, like phenomenally well in a small sample. He had pretty much chronic plantar fasciitis last year, leading to two stints on the shelf, and if you think that won't affect your jump shot then you don't understand shooting at all. League averages is about 35%, and I see Derrick shooting somewhere between 38 and 40%. If you think that's not a big difference, on 100 shots, 35% is 105 points, 38% is 114 points, and 40% is 120 points.

You highlighted what I posted and disregarded it in your post. Lmao. I said I think White's shot should be at the very least league average.

I'm not saying the man can't shoot, I'm saying at his worse he should be a league average 3 point shooter in my opinion. Are you just bored and trying to argue? Lmao. We agree that he should be a good shooter this upcoming season. Lmao.

ceperez
07-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Ranked the best player in Summer League 2019: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2844987-ranking-the-top-25-nba-summer-league-players-so-far#slide13

cjw
07-12-2019, 03:17 PM
You highlighted what I posted and disregarded it in your post. Lmao. I said I think White's shot should be at the very least league average.

I'm not saying the man can't shoot, I'm saying at his worse he should be a league average 3 point shooter in my opinion. Are you just bored and trying to argue? Lmao. We agree that he should be a good shooter this upcoming season. Lmao.

Happens a lot around here. I think he missed the “at the very least” part.

White will be off the ball a bit more this year with Murray back, and excited to see him get more open looks. Him hitting at a 37ish% rate from deep will be immense to spacing, especially with Bertans gone.

exstatic
07-12-2019, 03:18 PM

:lol Reading fail. Somehow 'least' became 'most'. We're on the same page.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-12-2019, 03:53 PM
:lol Reading fail. Somehow 'least' became 'most'. We're on the same page.

It's all peace.

You had me confused as fuck at 1st. Lmao

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-12-2019, 03:56 PM
Happens a lot around here. I think he missed the “at the very least” part.

White will be off the ball a bit more this year with Murray back, and excited to see him get more open looks. Him hitting at a 37ish% rate from deep will be immense to spacing, especially with Bertans gone.

Yeah, I expect him to hit 37%-38% also. With Demar, Lonnie, and Dejounte all looking like they will be creating it will most definitely have him play a bit more off the ball which should help White get more open 3 point looks

exstatic
07-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I expect him to hit 37%-38% also. With Demar, Lonnie, and Dejounte all looking like they will be creating it will most definitely have him play a bit more off the ball which should help White get more open 3 point looks

White is also MUCH better, at this point, doing catch and shoot 3s. I think the fact that he had the ball in his hands so much last year dinged his percentage. Shooting off the bounce is something I hope he's working on this summer.

ceperez
07-12-2019, 04:28 PM
White is also MUCH better, at this point, doing catch and shoot 3s. I think the fact that he had the ball in his hands so much last year dinged his percentage. Shooting off the bounce is something I hope he's working on this summer.

He can shoot off the bounce but Spurs staff don't like that kind of a play!

barakz21
07-12-2019, 04:32 PM
Anybody know if they shut down LW4 for summer league?

exstatic
07-12-2019, 05:20 PM
Anybody know if they shut down LW4 for summer league?

I think that's a foregone conclusion. They didn't make the bracket of 8 teams, so they only have one more game, a consolation match, meaningless even by SL standards.

Degoat
07-12-2019, 05:22 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised if Lonnie, keldon, luka, quinndary, and Eubanks didn’t play.. hope the rookies do at least

SAGirl
07-12-2019, 05:24 PM
I am lighting candles in this shrine.
:lobt:

tonight...you
07-12-2019, 06:21 PM
You're an impostor, faggot. :lol
Oh snap! This is like the Chicken Strip/Other Guy feud from days of Yore!

Mugen
07-12-2019, 06:26 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised if Lonnie, keldon, luka, quinndary, and Eubanks didn’t play.. hope the rookies do at least

?

tonight...you
07-12-2019, 06:32 PM
?
Old boy went full drug-addled Robert Downey Jr.

barakz21
07-12-2019, 06:34 PM
I think that's a foregone conclusion. They didn't make the bracket of 8 teams, so they only have one more game, a consolation match, meaningless even by SL standards.

Gotcha, thanks bud

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Yes that is important in today's league

ceperez
07-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Lonnie Walker is way ahead of his peers, but he might need to slow down eventually:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27125793/these-kids-ticking-bombs-threat-youth-basketball

Ice009
07-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Lonnie Walker is way ahead of his peers, but he might need to slow down eventually:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27125793/these-kids-ticking-bombs-threat-youth-basketball

Shit, that's pretty scary that kids are showing more wear and tear on their bodies these days than older players didn't show until they are much older. I really think they need to look at what he's going with his legs when just taking a jumpshot. I hope that is not putting too much stress on his knees or joints the movements he's making. I hope Lonnie and all the young guys on the team have long careers.

Pavlov
07-13-2019, 11:00 AM

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27125793/these-kids-ticking-bombs-threat-youth-basketballI like that they brought up Jordan's offseason routine -- a bit of a contrast from ST coaches' demands of young players.

JuneJive
07-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Sure hope so.

His ability to create his own shot is very valuable.

Defense will come with experience as he has the physical prerequisites.

GAustex
07-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Sure hope so.

His ability to create his own shot is very valuable.

Defense will come with experience as he has the physical prerequisites.
If LWIV could develop some of MJs competitiveness that would accelerate his development. I recall MJ played pretty hard from the very beginning of his career

SAGirl
07-15-2019, 12:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4LVCV0OhJw

John B
07-15-2019, 12:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4LVCV0OhJw
This guy is ready for Prime Time.

07-15-2019, 12:51 PM

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27125793/these-kids-ticking-bombs-threat-youth-basketballPlayers are so much today because they’re actually working harder :wow

:tu today’s NBA

GreekSpursfan
07-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Not sold yet, need to see more against non scrubs

exstatic
07-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Not sold yet, need to see more against non scrubs

You will. Just based off of his SL performances, one of the announcers, for ANOTHER TEAM, actually used the word superstar to describe his future trajectory. He was head and shoulders above any other player in SL, and that included #3 overall pick Barrett.

ginobilized
07-15-2019, 01:59 PM
Superstar right after he's a star right after he's a solid role player...........

Mr. Body
07-15-2019, 02:16 PM
You will. Just based off of his SL performances, one of the announcers, for ANOTHER TEAM, actually used the word superstar to describe his future trajectory. He was head and shoulders above any other player in SL, and that included #3 overall pick Barrett.

Agree, but Barrett looks like a dumpster.

exstatic
07-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Agree, but Barrett looks like a dumpster.

:lol I think he and Reddish will both bust.

monty4329
07-15-2019, 02:30 PM
With the very few guys on the team that show guys on a regular basis, I'm kinda tired of people disrespecting Forbes, tbh. Dude was great for us.

We would not have made the playoffs without Forbes.

that

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-15-2019, 03:05 PM
I think people need to pump their brakes with the superstar talk. I do think he has the potential to get there but we have to see how he performs against real NBA players and if he can actually use his 1 on 1 offensive gifts to get his teammates involved more. Not to mention being consistently solid on defense

I must admit I'm very excited about his potential and how well he will play this upcoming season

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2019, 03:10 PM
I think people need to pump their brakes with the superstar talk.

Do you not know where you have landed?

This is Spurstalk...the land of overreaction.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Do you not know where you have landed?

This is Spurstalk...the land of overreaction.

Lmao.

There is a solid amount of reasonable posters on here.

I really look forward to seeing how well Walker IV can mesh with the team

Ocotillo
07-15-2019, 03:27 PM
Listening to one of the shows on Sirius today and the host brought up who did the other guys think was the best player in summer league? My first thought was Lonnie did not get enough playing time for them to even notice but he was the first guy they brought up.

With the usual qualifiers about talent level etc... at summer league, I have to say, the games I watched, he was head and shoulder above the competition.

DJR210
07-15-2019, 03:36 PM
I think people need to pump their brakes with the superstar talk.

For real.. we should let him become a mainstay in the rotation before we get out the anointing oil.. He has the tools to score and play D in the pros, my question is will he have the balls to assert himself and take control of his own opportunity. If he makes the hustle plays on defense and takes the open 3 when called upon he has a shot he has a chance, but we'll see what his mindset is in year 2..

exstatic
07-15-2019, 03:38 PM
I think people need to pump their brakes with the superstar talk. I do think he has the potential to get there but we have to see how he performs against real NBA players and if he can actually use his 1 on 1 offensive gifts to get his teammates involved more. Not to mention being consistently solid on defense

I must admit I'm very excited about his potential and how well he will play this upcoming season

That's all we're saying. I don't think anyone has posted that he WILL be a superstar.

exstatic
07-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Listening to one of the shows on Sirius today and the host brought up who did the other guys think was the best player in summer league? My first thought was Lonnie did not get enough playing time for them to even notice but he was the first guy they brought up.

With the usual qualifiers about talent level etc... at summer league, I have to say, the games I watched, he was head and shoulder above the competition.

Well, he averaged 30 in Vegas. That'll get the attention of even casual media types.

Em-City
07-15-2019, 04:48 PM
That's all we're saying. I don't think anyone has posted that he WILL be a superstar.
Ummm isn't that the title of the thread?

exstatic
07-15-2019, 05:01 PM
Ummm isn't that the title of the thread?

It's...dabom. That hardly counts.

tmtcsc
07-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Was it Joel Meyer's show? He always brings up the Spurs because he has mad respect for Pop and the organization. He's almost a homer. The Spurs are improved from last year's team but will need a lot of things go right for them to make the playoffs.

exstatic
07-15-2019, 06:03 PM
Was it Joel Meyer's show? He always brings up the Spurs because he has mad respect for Pop and the organization. He's almost a homer. The Spurs are improved from last year's team but will need a lot of things go right for them to make the playoffs.

WTF? They had almost NOTHING go right last year and made the playoffs.

Ice009
07-15-2019, 10:58 PM

Is this people linked to the Spurs that mentioned him, or was it people from other teams that mentioned him?

RC_Drunkford
07-16-2019, 07:08 AM
there's no doubt in my mind that a guy who averages 30 in SL with a 2-point FG% of 60% can't put up 20 Points on 45% Shooting in the NBA. Especially with his speed and athleticism. Most NBA Players won't be able to defend those off the dribble pull-ups any better. Walker and Gay should be the main scoring options off the bench

Ocotillo
07-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Is this people linked to the Spurs that mentioned him, or was it people from other teams that mentioned him? It was the hosts. I honestly don't recall who they were (there were three) but I think one was Tim Legler.

duncan2k5
07-16-2019, 09:14 AM
there's no doubt in my mind that a guy who averages 30 in SL with a 2-point FG% of 60% can't put up 20 Points on 45% Shooting in the NBA. Especially with his speed and athleticism. Most NBA Players won't be able to defend those off the dribble pull-ups any better. Walker and Gay should be the main scoring options off the bench
Not if LMA has something to say about that

tmtcsc
07-16-2019, 12:49 PM
WTF? They had almost NOTHING go right last year and made the playoffs.

It's more about other teams getting better personnel-wise. Who would you say doesn't make it from this list?

2018 Playoff teams:

Warriors, Nuggets, Rockets, Blazers, OKC, Jazz, Spurs, Clippers -

OKC is out this year & Warriors will not be a lock to make it.

Realistically, these teams should be locks to make it to the playoffs: Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, Blazers & Jazz

6 teams (Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Kings, Pelicans & Mavs) will be battling for the final 3 spots in my opinion. Who doesn't make it?

exstatic
07-16-2019, 02:28 PM
It's more about other teams getting better personnel-wise. Who would you say doesn't make it from this list?

2018 Playoff teams:

Warriors, Nuggets, Rockets, Blazers, OKC, Jazz, Spurs, Clippers -

OKC is out this year & Warriors will not be a lock to make it.

Realistically, these teams should be locks to make it to the playoffs: Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, Blazers & Jazz

6 teams (Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Kings, Pelicans & Mavs) will be battling for the final 3 spots in my opinion. Who doesn't make it?

Mavs, Kings, and Pels will be better and make some noise, but have little team experience with a playoff stretch run and very few players with that experience, either. People don't see it yet, but the Rockets are going to be a train wreck. Russ just kind of doesn't fit at all.

Hell, I wouldn't even write in the Lakers as a lock. Did ANYONE predict they wouldn't make it last year? They are going to be fucking thin as hell on that roster, a rotten stinky bench. If you merge-compared our rosters, I'd put LeBron and AD first, followed by about half of our roster, Kuzma-Green-Boogie, the rest of our roster, then the shit that's left over playing in LA.

dabom7
08-03-2019, 06:32 PM
Walker will probably J Sim it for the first 30 games; some moderate double digits. This will probably be his last season missing the all star game, tbh.

dabom7
12-03-2019, 10:52 PM
I told ya'll fools what was up. :lol

Ya'll better listen next time!

davidbowie
12-03-2019, 11:30 PM
lonnie basketball cards flying on ebay lol

gotta love it!!!!

r0drig0lac
12-03-2019, 11:34 PM
I'm sure it will be, and it's not the first time this is said in this forum

DAF86
12-03-2019, 11:38 PM
I wanna believe this finally earned him a definite spot on the rotation. Should be a starter but we all know that's a move that will probably take Pop about 2 or 3 seasons to make, tbh.

Spurtacular
01-09-2020, 01:28 AM
Gregg needs to get over himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjKy-M4GnuI

gospursgojas
01-09-2020, 02:13 AM
The next Kawhi. Kawhi was Michael Kidd Gilchrist when he joined the league. Spurs make role players into MVPs.
Oh but Kawhi faked and injury in order to go home and please his uncle.

NASpurs
01-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Once he has the ultimate green light, my dude is going to have a 50 point game in a year or so. He just has that microwave mode.

TDomination
01-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Once he has the ultimate green light, my dude is going to have a 50 point game in a year or so. He just has that microwave mode.

No doubt

His PER36 stats shows him averaging 18.2 PPG.

He's ready to explode. He's the reason I want the Spurs to make the playoffs.

Spurs Homer
01-09-2020, 12:34 PM
No doubt

His PER36 stats shows him averaging 18.2 PPG.

He's ready to explode. He's the reason I want the Spurs to make the playoffs.

:pop:

“lonnie is not built for these playoffs- this is why Marco & Brynn are crucial to the team- they will share the workload and lonnie can watch and learn!”

Dejounte
11-30-2020, 08:28 PM
CIPCXM7Bzla

Lonnie working on his finishing.

Breakout SZN??

Watch out, league???

GreekSpursfan
11-30-2020, 09:07 PM
CIPCXM7Bzla

Breakout SZN??

Watch out, league???

Burn all mix tapes of any player, misleading and jinx material. Lets hope he doesn't fall into that category.

tim_duncan_fan
11-30-2020, 09:13 PM
I'll get excited when I see him finish a score after getting bumped on the way up.

Chomag
11-30-2020, 09:30 PM
Its always hard to judge anything from these videos but its great to see him putting in the work!

John B
11-30-2020, 09:38 PM
He needs to work on finishing with contact. Go strong to the rim and not settle too much on jumpshot. Take the and1. Same with DJ. Keldon, on the other hand, has a knack on finishing at the rim, at very young age. He relishes contacts.

4lifecowboy
11-30-2020, 10:29 PM
He has the smoothest jump shot on the team.

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 10:34 PM
He needs to work on finishing with contact. Go strong to the rim and not settle too much on jumpshot. Take the and1. Same with DJ. Keldon, on the other hand, has a knack on finishing at the rim, at very young age. He relishes contacts.

He's the biggest of the 5 (himself, Derrick, DeJounte, Devin & Lonnie) and has the strongest frame. Lonnie, DeJounte & Devin all have a more "wiry" type of frame although Lonnie seems to have added more muscle.

Have to see him around other NBA - sized athletes & not a bunch of training "dummies" that are my height (5'11").

Not just learning to absorb and/or finish through contact but also use their (meaning DeJounte & Lonnie) off - hand and better evasive moves. Manu & Tony were great at finishing through contact but they also used a lot of spin moves, Euro steps & other evasive moves to avoid defenders.

Sugus
11-30-2020, 10:53 PM
CIPCXM7Bzla

Breakout SZN??

Watch out, league???

Buckets for DAYS. People sleeping all over Lonnie... Fair enough. Just like that retard Th:lolldren. He's got a lot to prove next season, and will be fighting for his right to be in the rotation, maybe even start.... I can't wait to see that hunger.

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 10:59 PM
Buckets for DAYS. People sleeping all over Lonnie... Fair enough. Just like that retard Th:lolldren. He's got a lot to prove next season, and will be fighting for his right to be in the rotation, maybe even start.... I can't wait to see that hunger.

He has all the physical gifts to be as good as Zach LaVine on offense, but he needs to be a lot more assertive & have more opportunities/plays ran for him.

And, like other people said he needs to become a better finisher through traffic, in the restricted area (period) & more apt at using his off - hand. Too many of his drives end with an awkward, contorting shot because he's unable to use it currently.

His jumper is pure & he does have the best mechanics of the young bunch. Unfortunately, pro basketball isn't played in an open gym against midget defenders in the paint.

Sugus
11-30-2020, 11:18 PM
He has all the physical gifts to be as good as Zach LaVine on offense, but he needs to be a lot more assertive & have more opportunities/plays ran for him.

And, like other people said he needs to become a better finisher through traffic, in the restricted area (period) & more apt at using his off - hand. Too many of his drives end with an awkward, contorting shot because he's unable to use it currently.

His jumper is pure & he does have the best mechanics of the young bunch. Unfortunately, pro basketball isn't played in an open gym against midget defenders in the paint.

Agree on all counts. It's why last season was so frustrating for me, a Lonnie truther - Pop literally called for him to sit on the corner, for entire plays on end. Posters here would call Lonnie "passive" and "unassertive" like he could just disrupt plays as he wanted and take the ball for himself. Not how it works. I definitely think he has star potential, but don't really see him fulfilling it until Pop leaves, sadly. We've already seen how stubborn Pop can be at changing his ways once a certain player gets on his "bad side", and Lonnie last year was exactly a poster boy for that. I'm not expecting him to get many plays called for him, or offensive focus, next season.

I really hope it doesn't turn into one of those situations where a player is traded, and then grows into the player they could be in that new team, like Oladipo or Harden. I like Lonnie far too much for that. But I fear that even if he's bulked up, and worked on the flaws in his game, he might not get the best chance to shine here in San Antonio... Under Pop at least.

Hope both Lonnie AND Pop prove me wrong next season, but watching this past season was awful - for many reasons, not only Lonnie's misusing, of course.

KobesAchilles
11-30-2020, 11:21 PM
Agree on all counts. It's why last season was so frustrating for me, a Lonnie truther - Pop literally called for him to sit on the corner, for entire plays on end. Posters here would call Lonnie "passive" and "unassertive" like he could just disrupt plays as he wanted and take the ball for himself. Not how it works. I definitely think he has star potential, but don't really see him fulfilling it until Pop leaves, sadly. We've already seen how stubborn Pop can be at changing his ways once a certain player gets on his "bad side", and Lonnie last year was exactly a poster boy for that. I'm not expecting him to get many plays called for him, or offensive focus, next season.

I really hope it doesn't turn into one of those situations where a player is traded, and then grows into the player they could be in that new team, like Oladipo or Harden. I like Lonnie far too much for that. But I fear that even if he's bulked up, and worked on the flaws in his game, he might not get the best chance to shine here in San Antonio... Under Pop at least.

Hope both Lonnie AND Pop prove me wrong next season, but watching this past season was awful - for many reasons, not only Lonnie's misusing, of course.
I agree with your first paragraph 100%. It was my biggest knock of the season. Idgaf about missing the playoffs but more about developing the youngsters. I said that Lonnie should have that gunner, Jaren Jackson role and Pop just neutered him. Put him in the corner, let everybody else dribble dribble dribble and then not pass to him. Pop also called ZERO plays to get Lonnie a bucket or to get him in rhythm. Beyond frustrating. The old man needs to go if he keeps up the same bullshit antics from last year.

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 11:32 PM
I agree with your first paragraph 100%. It was my biggest knock of the season. Idgaf about missing the playoffs but more about developing the youngsters. I said that Lonnie should have that gunner, Jaren Jackson role and Pop just neutered him. Put him in the corner, let everybody else dribble dribble dribble and then not pass to him. Pop also called ZERO plays to get Lonnie a bucket or to get him in rhythm. Beyond frustrating. The old man needs to go if he keeps up the same bullshit antics from last year.

With some many of his so called "pets" (to borrow an ST term) gone, I don't see how Pop can get away with misusing all the young players, again.

He needs to more or less put the ball in their hands & let them sink or swim. Yeah, Aldridge, DeRozan, Gay & Mills remain but there are enough positions in a game (IMO) to at least begin to showcase the younger guys.

Plus, he can use White as a primary ball handler in the starting lineup (with one of Vassell, DeJounte, Keldon or Lonnie beside him) & the remaining youngsters more or less running the second unit. Mills would go back to a similar role of how he was used when Manu was here & Gay can play off the youngsters more, set screens, cut to the rim & iso/control the offense ONLY when he's hot (or they need a tough basket).

He & DeMar need to be utilized like in the Bubble & LaMarcus needs to be transitioned to a pick - and - pop/stretch 5 that can still occasionally score inside or the mid range (think Brook Lopez with more touches).

And that is all contigent on the belief that none of the 4 veterans fall off in play. If/when that happens the youngsters should get even more responsibility.

Sugus
11-30-2020, 11:39 PM

Man, I'm heating up just from remembering this shit.

You get the highest draft pick in decades, draft a guard with a raw game but all the tools to put it together, force him into a G-League season with no real minutes on the main squad... And then just shun him again after he's been through all that? You try and mold him for defense - then proceed to pull him out after every first mistake, to never put him back on the game? You want to develop his offense, yet consistently call for him to be as uninvolved as possible, standing still in the corner waiting for a pass that you know won't come, because you're literally the one designing the offensive scheme? You could literally watch Forbes and Lonnie last season and, without prior knowledge, not know who's the spot-up shooter and who's the promising guard. Pop literally tried to have Forbes running the offense before he told Lonnie to try and make plays for others in the bubble, for fuck's sake :lmao

And the worst of all, after Lonnie beat every odd against him and proved the haters wrong with a 28 points tour-de-force over the Rockettes.... You play him TWELVE MINUTES the very next game?!? Like, what kind of reward is that? He predictably scored 2 whole points as a result. Talk about learning experiences... Outside of that game, Lonnie played 30 minutes or more, exactly three games out of 61 he took part in last season. Is the dude made out of glass or something? Of course, he put up double digit points every one of them, perhaps at Pop's chagrin. Just all-around a mind-boggling coaching job.

This is not to say "just play him 35mpg all season and learn on the fly!". That's also not how it should be done. But to play one of, if not the most promising player on your team (Keldon hadn't broken out yet), so little, and on such a ridiculously tiny role that isn't even suited to his game or strengths... I was close to pulling my teeth out. What a shitshow.

Sugus
11-30-2020, 11:45 PM
I forgot to mention the most hilarious thing about that game after the OT win led by Lonnie...... His twelve minutes played were, by far, the lowest on the team. No other player except for Lyles (mother fucking Lyles :lol) played less than 18 minutes. Check the boxscore if you don't believe me - or don't. It's aneurysm-inducing.

KobesAchilles
11-30-2020, 11:53 PM
Man, I'm heating up just from remembering this shit.

You get the highest draft pick in decades, draft a guard with a raw game but all the tools to put it together, force him into a G-League season with no real minutes on the main squad... And then just shun him again after he's been through all that? You try and mold him for defense - then proceed to pull him out after every first mistake, to never put him back on the game? You want to develop his offense, yet consistently call for him to be as uninvolved as possible, standing still in the corner waiting for a pass that you know won't come, because you're literally the one designing the offensive scheme? You could literally watch Forbes and Lonnie last season and, without prior knowledge, not know who's the spot-up shooter and who's the promising guard. Pop literally tried to have Forbes running the offense before he told Lonnie to try and make plays for others in the bubble, for fuck's sake :lmao

And the worst of all, after Lonnie beat every odd against him and proved the haters wrong with a 28 points tour-de-force over the Rockettes.... You play him TWELVE MINUTES the very next game?!? Like, what kind of reward is that? He predictably scored 2 whole points as a result. Talk about learning experiences... Outside of that game, Lonnie played 30 minutes or more, exactly three games out of 61 he took part in last season. Is the dude made out of glass or something? Of course, he put up double digit points every one of them, perhaps at Pop's chagrin. Just all-around a mind-boggling coaching job.

This is not to say "just play him 35mpg all season and learn on the fly!". That's also not how it should be done. But to play one of, if not the most promising player on your team (Keldon hadn't broken out yet), so little, and on such a ridiculously tiny role that isn't even suited to his game or strengths... I was close to pulling my teeth out. What a shitshow.
Yeah I have a long list of gripes with Pop that I feel are inexcusable. Even his greatest fans (which believe it or not I am a HUGE fan of Pop) can’t really come up with a valid retort other than well he has 5 rings so he knows what he’s doing.

Pop has always had weaknesses as a coach, every coach I feel except Phil and Red has them and he never improved on two weaknesses. Pop has come a hell of a far way from his beginning days, so this isn’t to shit on him and say he hasn’t evolved or improved. But Pop never knew what to do with athleticism. He would’ve been a shit coach for DRob. Like it isn’t rocket science, but Pop doesn’t know how to run an athletic fast break. Lonnie is the best athlete on the team, can get to the rim in 3 strides from half court, and can FLY, and yet Pop never has him run the fast break? He never had a Lonnie just take off with the ball in the open court. Instead we pass it to Demar or Bryn or Patty or Derrick and I’m just like there are open points just begging to be had if you give Lonnie the ball and tell him to run. It’s like Andy Reid not having Hill run go routes. It’s just dumb.

I get hard coaching and I get trial through fire. And I’m all for that. But it isn’t what Pop did to Lonnie. He cussed the hell out of Tony and Manu but guess what, he played them the next game. He didn’t put a shitty broken down 35 year Marco type player in their way. He benched Green for stupid mistakes, but he played him afterwards, started him even. With Lonnie he yelled at him, pulled him, and then benched him for 3 games. Then rinse and repeat. That’s not good coaching.

rankingtear
11-30-2020, 11:54 PM
Don't see it with him. He's a very poor playmaker to warrant the touches everyone is clamoring for. Maybe tops out as Jordan Clarkson type microwave scorer off the bench.

Joseph Kony
11-30-2020, 11:57 PM
I forgot to mention the most hilarious thing about that game after the OT win led by Lonnie...... His twelve minutes played were, by far, the lowest on the team. No other player except for Lyles (mother fucking Lyles :lol) played less than 18 minutes. Check the boxscore if you don't believe me - or don't. It's aneurysm-inducing.

:pop: I didn't want him getting a big head after that performance. He needed to get over himself. :pop:

BackHome
12-01-2020, 12:55 AM
He could have played more but to be honest he was lost on defense kinda like Metu he just didn't know where he should be. On a good note he showed that he can really be a good 3 point shooter if he can figure out the team defense and is able to finish at the rim then he might become the best of the Spurs. On a side note I hope he doesn't do that kick his leg out anymore cause every time he does that I cringe thinking he is going to tear his knee up again.

Chinook
12-01-2020, 01:01 AM
Don't see it with him. He's a very poor playmaker to warrant the touches everyone is clamoring for. Maybe tops out as Jordan Clarkson type microwave scorer off the bench.

Walker probably has the most potential as a play-maker out of all the young players. I think before the bubble, it was more like an absence than an established weakness. The bubbled showed what he might be able to go, and it was bending the defense in a way no one else on the team can.

rankingtear
12-01-2020, 01:49 AM
Walker probably has the most potential as a play-maker out of all the young players. I think before the bubble, it was more like an absence than an established weakness. The bubbled showed what he might be able to go, and it was bending the defense in a way no one else on the team can.

Scouting reports on him from highschool to the NBA points to lack of playmaking. Drive and Kick is what he thrived in the Bubble and Summer League. Pick and roll and live dribble passes are still a disaster.

PhantomDashCam
12-01-2020, 02:14 AM
Thanks for posting Dejounte. Here is a more expansive video if anyone interested.

https://youtu.be/kSzWy4JOlZo

Ex-Spur Ray Mcallum Jr. in the video too.

Gives you an idea of how big a guard Jrue is.

KobesAchilles
12-01-2020, 08:27 AM
https://youtu.be/oeCsbTq1PcA
Proves my point even more. Dude gives the ball to everybody else EXCEPT his best athlete. Him running that red set doesn’t change that fact. Patty push the pace :lol

rankingtear
12-01-2020, 09:17 AM
Proves my point even more. Dude gives the ball to everybody else EXCEPT his best athlete. Him running that red set doesn’t change that fact. Patty push the pace :lol

Lonnie is surprisingly very bad in transition and he ran it often, his frequency on those possesions are higher than anyone on the team.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/transition/?CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*SAS&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=PERCENTILE&dir=1

SpursDynasty85
12-01-2020, 09:52 AM
Thanks for posting Dejounte. Here is a more expansive video if anyone interested.

https://youtu.be/kSzWy4JOlZo

Ex-Spur Ray Mcallum Jr. in the video too.

Gives you an idea of how big a guard Jrue is.

thanks for posting. Jrue is on another level than these guys. Lonnie showing he has hops for days and a very good jump shot. Still needs work on handles, change of pace, and functional strength. Still shying away from contact.

KobesAchilles
12-01-2020, 10:33 AM
Thats why I made the video, you see what Red(the guy who pretty much invented the fast bread) looked like and said about his offense and then you see how POOP fucked it up. Its as if pop is the one guy who never saw that Auerbach Coaching movie and if he did it got scrambled in his head.
Phil is not unscathed either, he had spent that better part of the last 10 years and all his time in NY as GM blabbing about Tex's Triangle as it failed miserably. Tex Triangle looks mint when you have Pippen and Jordan running it along with those two as Top 99.99 percentile GOAT wing defenders. Jackson though it was Tex's Scheme.

Ohhhh :lol my bad. Only watched like a minute of it

Phil looks bad now but when you've been to the Finals 13 times out of 19 years, idgaf how good your talent was, that's some amazing shit. Did he have the best player in Michael Jordan? Absolutely. But I don't think Jordan goes 6 for 6 without Phil. Same for Kobe. He couldn't win shit without Phil. He was uncoachable from like 01-07. That's always glossed over in the Kobe vs Duncan debates. And I feel like Duncan would've 3peated had he had Phil as a coach... Though he might be stuck at 4 rings instead of that amazing 14 season which is like the GOAT coaching season ever.

SpursDynasty85
12-01-2020, 10:34 AM
Combine Measurements
For all Tense and Purposes Jrue and Lonnie are the same height and length, True has his mans strength and body after 10+ years in the NBA.(both 19 when drafted)

2009-10

Jrue Holiday
PG-SG
6.30%
-
-
6' 3.25''
6' 4.25''
8' 4.5''
6' 7''

2018-19

Lonnie Walker
SG
5.65%
6' 3.75''
6' 4.5''
8' 3.5''
6' 10.25''

Jrue is a great player for Lonnie to look to model as he grows into his game.

The Truth #6
12-01-2020, 10:43 AM
I think Lonnie needs confidence. His childhood was abusive and Pop’s treatment seems to have either backfired or perhaps slowed his growth. I’m not saying Pop is abusive but he needs a much different approach with Lonnie it seems.

TD 21
12-01-2020, 05:17 PM
Players like Walker don't just get plays run for them, they have to build up to it. Also, with the lack of 3-point shooting on this team, they need him in more of an off ball role.

He seems more suited to a secondary ball handling/play making role anyway, where he can leverage the threat of his 3/athleticism/speed, drive close outs and attack a rotating defense.

Sugus
12-01-2020, 09:22 PM
Players like Walker don't just get plays run for them, they have to build up to it. Also, with the lack of 3-point shooting on this team, they need him in more of an off ball role.

He seems more suited to a secondary ball handling/play making role anyway, where he can leverage the threat of his 3/athleticism/speed, drive close outs and attack a rotating defense.

I'm interested - why would "players like Walker" not get plays run for them? I sure see a lot of very athletic, ball-handling guards around the league getting plenty plays run for them. It also should be noted that needing more 3pt shooting doesn't necessarily correlate with having Walker play off-ball, when they can teach and encourage him to take off-the-dribble or ISO 3's like Tatum does. That's more debatable and depending on Walker's game though, but it's coaching at the end of the day (for better or worse, considering it's Pop calling the shots right now).

I also don't see why Lonnie can't perform as a primary ball-handler or initiator. Is he ready right now? No, and he probably won't be through this season. But his first step, athleticism, and game are such that he shouldn't have to rely on a badly set defense to penetrate. I'd rather the Spurs focus on making him a primary initiator, especially with the league trending away from do-it-all PG's calling the entire offense, and more into do-it-all wings and guards that can run everything by themselves. It's an uphill battle, but that's certainly Lonnie's ceiling. I guess we'll have concrete answers to this after this season, though, especially considering White is already injured.

GAustex
12-01-2020, 09:45 PM
Lonnie needs to have plays run for him to get the shot or make the move. He also needs to be a willing but likely secondary ball handler. He has the ability. Now is the time to step up and do it.

Sugus
12-02-2020, 12:26 AM
Lonnie needs to have plays run for him to get the shot or make the move. He also needs to be a willing but likely secondary ball handler. He has the ability. Now is the time to step up and do it.

I'm expecting Pop to make him a focal point for the team given the multiple injured players to start the season.

...ok, I'm not expecting it, but I'd like it.

TD 21
12-02-2020, 12:28 PM
I'm interested - why would "players like Walker" not get plays run for them? I sure see a lot of very athletic, ball-handling guards around the league getting plenty plays run for them. It also should be noted that needing more 3pt shooting doesn't necessarily correlate with having Walker play off-ball, when they can teach and encourage him to take off-the-dribble or ISO 3's like Tatum does. That's more debatable and depending on Walker's game though, but it's coaching at the end of the day (for better or worse, considering it's Pop calling the shots right now).

I also don't see why Lonnie can't perform as a primary ball-handler or initiator. Is he ready right now? No, and he probably won't be through this season. But his first step, athleticism, and game are such that he shouldn't have to rely on a badly set defense to penetrate. I'd rather the Spurs focus on making him a primary initiator, especially with the league trending away from do-it-all PG's calling the entire offense, and more into do-it-all wings and guards that can run everything by themselves. It's an uphill battle, but that's certainly Lonnie's ceiling. I guess we'll have concrete answers to this after this season, though, especially considering White is already injured.

His ball skills are relatively rudimentary. He's more wing than combo guard. He might develop a pull up 3 in time, but right now he's mostly a spot up shooter.

His bubble performance gave me more clarity on what I perceive his role to be in the league. I see solid starter as more so the ceiling than puncher's chance at a star.

Sugus
12-02-2020, 01:10 PM
His ball skills are relatively rudimentary. He's more wing than combo guard. He might develop a pull up 3 in time, but right now he's mostly a spot up shooter.

His bubble performance gave me more clarity on what I perceive his role to be in the league. I see solid starter as more so the ceiling than puncher's chance at a star.

I see, fair assessment. To be honest, I think ball skills as a 21yo guard are certainly something he can work on, and I thought he was much more careful with the ball in the bubble that he was in the G-League or his first games with the Spurs. I see progress there - will it be enough to get him to make the jump from bench piece/fringe starter to fringe star? Maybe, maybe not... But I don't see it as a lost cause, the way that I see someone like Samanic for example, who will probably never have the fluidity to be a primary penetrator at the NBA level.

The pull-up 3 game, I see more as a confidence thing. We know he can hit it - but I don't think he knows to attempt it. To be fair, I wouldn't be taking many pull-up 3's playing under Pop, and it's a large part on why I think this next season won't be "the year" for Lonnie, if it ever comes for him. He needs a modern coach, who understands and embraces the way the league is trending. Lonnie's bulked up to the point where he could succeed as a wing, I agree with you there, but he'll never succeed as anything without a proper coaching behind him, IMO.

XDT76
12-02-2020, 08:08 PM
I see, fair assessment. To be honest, I think ball skills as a 21yo guard are certainly something he can work on, and I thought he was much more careful with the ball in the bubble that he was in the G-League or his first games with the Spurs. I see progress there - will it be enough to get him to make the jump from bench piece/fringe starter to fringe star? Maybe, maybe not... But I don't see it as a lost cause, the way that I see someone like Samanic for example, who will probably never have the fluidity to be a primary penetrator at the NBA level.

The pull-up 3 game, I see more as a confidence thing. We know he can hit it - but I don't think he knows to attempt it. To be fair, I wouldn't be taking many pull-up 3's playing under Pop, and it's a large part on why I think this next season won't be "the year" for Lonnie, if it ever comes for him. He needs a modern coach, who understands and embraces the way the league is trending. Lonnie's bulked up to the point where he could succeed as a wing, I agree with you there, but he'll never succeed as anything without a proper coaching behind him, IMO.

I am okay for him not to do too much, just concentrate on shooting spot up 3, finishing at the rim and continue to develop his passing which shows potential in the bubble. He could then concentrate on the pull up the next season. I think it is better for him then follow Murray to try and do too much in one go which resulting only minor improvement in all area. I rather he follow Kawhi's of major improvement in one area every season.

RC_Drunkford
12-03-2020, 08:16 PM
Pop has to develop Lonnie into a 6th man. He has to be groomed to be a scorer. Let him score on opposing bench players and give him the green light. Once he can do that we might have something

Dejounte
12-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Pop has to develop Lonnie into a 6th man. He has to be groomed to be a scorer. Let him score on opposing bench players and give him the green light. Once he can do that we might have something

Bingo. It's what I've been saying all along.

It's also a strategic way to pay him less if all the young guys pan out, since we won't be able to afford them all if they're all good.

The Truth #6
12-03-2020, 09:44 PM
Bingo. It's what I've been saying all along.

It's also a strategic way to pay him less if all the young guys pan out, since we won't be able to afford them all if they're all good.

Perhaps. But with White and Keldon injured to start the season, I tend to think LW will get the start at least in the beginning, unless Vassell really impresses Pop.

SpursDynasty85
12-04-2020, 12:03 PM
​

https://youtu.be/6glSQEx_yRo

:lobt2::lobt2:

ceperez
12-04-2020, 04:11 PM
You know Walker IV has a killer instinct. Remember that shot 3 point shot he made out of nowhere at the end of game. He was looking to take that shot from anywhere and he took and made it.

Murray doesn't have that kind of instinct. The only one that might be comparable is White.

DeRozan, Aldridge and Gay are known chokers.

Drom John
12-05-2020, 06:01 PM
NBA.com, clutch +/-

+2.4 Poeltl
+2.1 Belinelli
-0.2 Mills
-0.3 DeRozan, White
-0.4 Gay, Forbes
-0.6 Murray
-0.7 Walker
-0.9 Johnson, Aldridge
-1.0 Eubanks, Weatherspoon
-2.3 Lyles
-3.0 Metu, Samanic
-5.0 Carroll

GAustex
12-05-2020, 06:05 PM
I just don’t see what pop saw in Carroll

koriwhat
12-05-2020, 06:11 PM
I am okay for him not to do too much, just concentrate on shooting spot up 3, finishing at the rim and continue to develop his passing which shows potential in the bubble. He could then concentrate on the pull up the next season. I think it is better for him then follow Murray to try and do too much in one go which resulting only minor improvement in all area. I rather he follow Kawhi's of major improvement in one area every season.

All resources directly focused on one or two aspects of the game. That's the winning recipe and I totally agree with you on that.

This isn't basketball but in the same regard I have always been told, by those who have been tattooing longer than I have, that focusing all your energy on one style is what helps you succeed in this business and creates a name for yourself.

rankingtear
12-05-2020, 07:14 PM
If he does not learn to impact the game off ball he won't be on the roster long. Some posters is blaming pop for Lonnie passivity camping on the three point line, but I think it's more on Lonnie's inability to read the game on where to go or where opportunities are when the play develops. Same thing with his off ball defense. Keldon looks more involved not because he has more responsibilities than Lonnie, but because Keldon reads the game at a higher level. The game is still too fast for him to process. Pop and Lonnie have stated this several times.

Advance stats also prove this comparing Lonnie and Marco who have the same role last season.

Lonnie: OBPM -2.5 , Offensive Rating 100
Marco: OBPM -0.7 , Offensive Rating 110

-2.5 OBPM is usually only seen on offensive liabilities like Dunn, Melton, Frank, Smart.

exstatic
12-06-2020, 04:08 PM

Not sure he was consulted. It was just a deep bench spot. Judging by his virtual non playing, Pop saw nothing in him.

GAustex
12-06-2020, 04:26 PM
Not sure he was consulted. It was just a deep bench spot. Judging by his virtual non playing, Pop saw nothing in him.
Interesting
My impression that pop has say so on all roster decisions I guess I was wrong.

ismael-robert
12-06-2020, 04:32 PM
My impression he didn't buy into system

TimDunkem
12-06-2020, 04:45 PM
Pop thought he was Jae Crowder.

GAustex
12-06-2020, 04:46 PM
My impression is that Carroll sucks, is broke and never should have been given a contract and that besides flirting with Morris and getting used and giving away Davis he should have never been considered and therefore was a fuck up of epic proportions

toki9
12-06-2020, 05:14 PM
Interesting

Last season was also very unusual, with Pop doing his US Basketball duties and RC moving into the CEO role.

exstatic
12-06-2020, 09:12 PM
My impression he didn't buy into system

If you’re a major piece, you can pull this shit. He’s a role player, and never was anything else. I remember him saying that he and Pop had a great relationship off the court, so it wasn’t any kind of mutiny.

exstatic
12-06-2020, 09:15 PM
Interesting

I think he trusts the FO to fill out the last few roster spots.

exstatic
12-06-2020, 09:20 PM
Pop thought he was Jae Crowder.

:lol.

ismael-robert
12-06-2020, 10:54 PM
Right he meant non bball they were good but on court didn't see eye to eye. He probably was meant to provide 15 to 20 min a night but wouldn't learn the system

SAGirl
12-07-2020, 04:33 PM
If he can stay healthy...

spurraider21
12-07-2020, 04:54 PM
Not sure he was consulted.
:lmao

It was just a deep bench spot. Judging by his virtual non playing, Pop saw nothing in him.
remind me how much they paid for that deep bench spot

GAustex
12-07-2020, 08:51 PM
Some in here trying to wallpaper over the poop shitstain decision