PDA

View Full Version : Trey Lyles - 2019 Free Agent

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2019, 08:39 PM
https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/headshots/nba/latest/260x190/1626168.png

Trey Lyles
Position: F
Height: 6-foot-10
Weight: 234
College: Kentucky
Years Pro: 4

Stats (https://www.nba.com/players/trey/lyles/1626168)

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2019, 08:40 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

slick'81
07-09-2019, 08:40 PM
Fck it

lmbebo
07-09-2019, 08:41 PM
:vomit:

Mr. Body
07-09-2019, 08:43 PM
He's like a cardboard cutout of the things you want him to do.

slick'81
07-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Welp chip can fix his broken shot hopefully

r0drig0lac
07-09-2019, 08:44 PM
no
/thread

Atl Spur
07-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Bruce Bowen wasn’t that hot commodity as I recall; if we are top notch at player development we surely can make trey useful.

slick'81
07-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Bruce Bowen wasn’t that hot commodity as I recall; if we are top notch at player development we surely can make trey useful.

He was a established defender though

TheGreatYacht
07-09-2019, 09:36 PM
He’s absolutely god awful. Can’t believe the Jazz traded their pick and this scrub to move up and steal Mitchell

timvp
07-09-2019, 09:38 PM
I mean, Lyles isn't ideal but he's the best option left on the market.

Big P
07-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Nope...if Morris does not sign, save the money for another fa or a buyout candidate by the trade deadline.

CitizenDwayne
07-09-2019, 09:39 PM
...so it’s come to this.

8FOR!3
07-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Rather give Keldon Johnson minutes at the 3 or Luka minutes at the 4. Trey Lyles has been in the league 4 years and I don't think he's really better than either.

ZeusWillJudge
07-09-2019, 09:41 PM
He’s absolutely god awful. Can’t believe the Jazz traded their pick and this scrub to move up and steal Mitchell

They traded 24 and Lyles to move all the way up to 13. All the talk this year was that there was no way the Spurs could move up that far from 19. I posted it last night, but remember that Denver drafted Gobert and sent him to Utah in exchange for cash and a future second round pick. Utah owe their current franchise to Denver's stupidity.

Atl Spur
07-09-2019, 09:47 PM
Like I said player development.... He may be trash but so was Danny Green , Jaren Jackson, etc.... I’m not buying the 4 year ideology.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2019, 09:58 PM
I could see a small money ~$2MM deal for Lyles and preserve the rest of the MLE for the rest of the season. One does wonder what it would take for Mulitinov - if around $4 to 5MM per for a couple seasons there's a case to be had to see what he can do, and the frontcourt does look a little thin.

ZeusWillJudge
07-09-2019, 10:02 PM
His only saving grace comes if you look at his per-36 numers, and the fact that he shot .381 from 3P last season, and .383 in his rookie season.

But if you're going to commit to developing a young guy, why go outside the system? The Spurs have a lot of good young players in the pipeline. Right now, the main thing Lyles has going for him is height.

look_at_g_shred
07-09-2019, 10:04 PM
How’s his defense

look_at_g_shred
07-09-2019, 10:04 PM
How’s his defense

Atl Spur
07-09-2019, 10:13 PM
His only saving grace comes if you look at his per-36 numers, and the fact that he shot .381 from 3P last season, and .383 in his rookie season.

But if you're going to commit to developing a young guy, why go outside the system? The Spurs have a lot of good young players in the pipeline. Right now, the main thing Lyles has going for him is height.

The guy has skill that needs to be honed; height is a great thing.

Mr. Body
07-09-2019, 10:13 PM

He shot .255 from three last season, a big drop. It's telling that Denver ain't bothering with the guy when they could use the frontcourt depth.

Atl Spur
07-09-2019, 10:14 PM
He may be a bum......kick the tires.

Mr. Body
07-09-2019, 10:14 PM
How’s his defense

Not as bad as his offense.

Atl Spur
07-09-2019, 10:15 PM
He shot .255 from three last season, a big drop. It's telling that Denver ain't bothering with the guy when they could use the frontcourt depth.

They just signed Grant.......they’re good up front

ZeusWillJudge
07-09-2019, 10:20 PM

I don't disagree. I was just saying that those are the only reasons for even considering him.

Personally, I think he was just overrated coming out of college. He was one of those kids who develop early, and in high school he was a man among boys. He was underwhelming as hell at Kansas. And I remember watching the lead-up to that draft. They were billing him as a stretch 4 in the NBA, even though he only made something like 4 or 5 3-pointers in college, at some stupidly low percentage. I think he's been way over-hyped his whole life.

NASpurs
07-09-2019, 10:21 PM
Talk about a downgrade in every since of the word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

Xx_SpursNation_xX
07-09-2019, 10:56 PM
If the spurs have to throw money in the garbage just cause then im available

Mr. Body
07-09-2019, 11:18 PM
I don't disagree. I was just saying that those are the only reasons for even considering him.

Personally, I think he was just overrated coming out of college. He was one of those kids who develop early, and in high school he was a man among boys. He was underwhelming as hell at Kansas. And I remember watching the lead-up to that draft. They were billing him as a stretch 4 in the NBA, even though he only made something like 4 or 5 3-pointers in college, at some stupidly low percentage. I think he's been way over-hyped his whole life.

He went to Kentucky. My thing has always been Kentucky players never improve much -- Calipari just lets them run around and win games due to talent. They rarely get much better in the pros, either. Kansas players are usually straight up busts.

EricB
07-09-2019, 11:48 PM
Save the money for Iguodala

slick'81
07-09-2019, 11:49 PM
Signing this guy would be a disaster

ZeusWillJudge
07-10-2019, 12:00 AM
He went to Kentucky. My thing has always been Kentucky players never improve much -- Calipari just lets them run around and win games due to talent. They rarely get much better in the pros, either. Kansas players are usually straight up busts.

I've read your comments about it a number of times. Have to say, there's more than a little truth to it.

Made me think when I started even talking about Oubre. He was at Kansas at the same time as Lyles. He progressed a little better than Lyles, but I've got a little more doubt because he's a Kansas product who's been on two bad teams. Lots of potential for empty calories there.

The biggest problem, to me at least, about this Morris mess is that it means Gay plays more minutes than I would like. The chance that he's not around at 100% come playoff time is pretty significant. Morris would have let Pop manage his minutes a little more. I don't see anyone else on the list that accomplishes that.

Mr. Body
07-10-2019, 12:03 AM
I've read your comments about it a number of times. Have to say, there's more than a little truth to it.

Made me think when I started even talking about Oubre. He was at Kansas at the same time as Lyles. He progressed a little better than Lyles, but I've got a little more doubt because he's a Kansas product who's been on two bad teams. Lots of potential for empty calories there.

The biggest problem, to me at least, about this Morris mess is that it means Gay plays more minutes than I would like. The chance that he's not around at 100% come playoff time is pretty significant. Morris would have let Pop manage his minutes a little more. I don't see anyone else on the list that accomplishes that.

Kansas players are almost like magically sucky. Some dude put together a list of Kansas picks all-time and it's a shitshow. Guys like Xavier Henry and Josh Jackson and Wayne Simien and Ben McElmore. Just horrible pros. When Marcus and Markief Morris are your best players in twenty years, something's wrong. (Although Embiid is looking good.)

Atl Spur
07-10-2019, 12:21 AM
Like I said again, have any of the guys you mentioned been with organizations known for solid player development? I’m not advocating for this dude but kick the tires. Many talented players in the nba draft graveyard; just google the last five drafts!its easy to play Monday morning quarterback.

raybies
07-10-2019, 12:49 AM
Exactly my thoughts. Can people be traded into the mid level like players can with cap?

timvp
07-10-2019, 01:00 AM
Exactly my thoughts. Can people be traded into the mid level like players can with cap?

Negative.

dbestpro
07-10-2019, 06:15 AM
Negative.

Would a work around occur by the Spurs trading a player for peanuts and the team the player goes to cuts a player or agrees to a buyout that the Spurs then sign to the MLE?

YoungbuckMurray
07-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Would a work around occur by the Spurs trading a player for peanuts and the team the player goes to cuts a player or agrees to a buyout that the Spurs then sign to the MLE?

Like Forbes to Memphis for a 2nd and then they buyout iggy for us to sign him?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2019, 04:13 PM
I could see a small money ~$2MM deal for Lyles and preserve the rest of the MLE for the rest of the season. One does wonder what it would take for Mulitinov - if around $4 to 5MM per for a couple seasons there's a case to be had to see what he can do, and the frontcourt does look a little thin.

That's the only way I'd do it. See if he pans out. Nothing impressive about his game, tbh.

Dverde
07-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Like Forbes to Memphis for a 2nd and then they buyout iggy for us to sign him?

Watch Iggy change his mind and sign with the Lakers instead :lol :lol

YoungbuckMurray
07-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Watch Iggy change his mind and sign with the Lakers instead :lol :lol
Pop would go nuclear on the whole system and get banned for life lol

timvp
07-11-2019, 11:53 PM
I mean, Lyles isn't ideal but he's the best option left on the market.

Sucks but it is what it was, tbh.

DPG21920
07-11-2019, 11:57 PM

Whoops! He’s 3x 2M evidently

DPG21920
07-11-2019, 11:59 PM

Hmmm - your tune changed on this all of the sudden.

slick'81
07-12-2019, 12:00 AM
Soo we have about 3mil ish left of that mle?

DPG21920
07-12-2019, 12:01 AM
I just dont understand how he got any money in year 2. Hopefully the reports are wrong and it’s all money in the first year. Don’t care if it was 2/20 like Morris as long as second year has nothing.

EricB
07-12-2019, 12:05 AM
Hmmm - your tune changed on this all of the sudden.

Information changes things. Sorry I’m not old man screaming at clouds enough for you.

EricB
07-12-2019, 12:05 AM
Soo we have about 3mil ish left of that mle?

About 4 or 5

DPG21920
07-12-2019, 12:08 AM
Information changes things. Sorry I’m not old man screaming at clouds enough for you.

What info changed? This thread was literally already in context of Morris screwing SA and what options where available. Only thing that seemingly changed was it happened and you retroactively talked yourself out of your previously held opinion because you had to.

EricB
07-12-2019, 12:11 AM
What info changed? This thread was literally already in context of Morris screwing SA and what options where available. Only thing that seemingly changed was it happened and you retroactively talked yourself out of your previously held opinion because you had to.

Whatever makes you you feel better. Just don’t jump the fuck on the bandwagon if he plays well.

DPG21920
07-12-2019, 12:12 AM
Whatever makes you you feel better. Just don’t jump the fuck on the bandwagon if he plays well.

You were allowed back after jumping off the bandwagon; that’s not fair to me tbh..I hope he’s an all star - but as things stand my opinion is backed by evidence that he would have to disprove.

It’s not like I’m sitting here dogging a guy in hindsight that on paper was great.

slick'81
07-12-2019, 12:19 AM
The Spurs have reportedly agreed to a two-year deal with free agent Trey Lyles.
This comes immediately on the heels of Marcus Morris changing his mind and heading to New York. Lyles was the No. 12 pick in the 2015 draft and he's shown some promise as a stretch-big, making 1.1 threes on 38.1% shooting in 2017-18. He regressed in a smaller role last season, though, and is unlikely to help fantasy owners in a bench role for the Spurs.

SOURCE: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1149462178052759554)
Jul 11, 2019, 7:38 PM ET

Spurs da champs
07-12-2019, 12:34 AM
This is probably Lyles last chance in the NBA, typical Canadian disappointment.

Drom John
06-30-2021, 10:20 AM
29 June 2021
Sixth man Center for Canada against Greece
21 min
8 pt
2 rebounds
2 assists
-4 +/-

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2021, 10:29 AM
I forgot Lyles was on the Spurs roster last year. Strong candidate for the team's least impactful player.

Mr. Body
06-30-2021, 11:00 AM
He's playing in China next year or the Philippines or wherever.

slick'81
06-30-2021, 03:56 PM
I hated this damn signing from the start. Peeps here actually thought he should of been a starter at one point:rollin

CGD
06-30-2021, 06:50 PM

But first I hope he’s used in a draft day sign and trade to match salaries in a Simmons trade :-)

Drom John
07-01-2021, 02:35 PM
Speaking of China, Lyles started against China.
19 min
11 pt
7 rebounds
2 assists
+7 +/-

EricB
07-02-2021, 10:26 PM

someone in Europe will get him.

Rosewood
07-02-2021, 10:32 PM
I hated this damn signing from the start. Peeps here actually thought he should of been a starter at one point:rollin Desperation breeds ignorance. I wouldn't hold it against them. He had the physical ability. Just no heart at all. Maybe the least I've seen in recent memory. He was the 12th overall pick and Kawhi was 15th overall and Derozan was 9th overall to put it into perspective. Had he turned out skill-wise like either of those players, he would be a centerpiece.

Just how the wind blows sometimes.

Dex
07-02-2021, 10:40 PM
Desperation breeds ignorance. I wouldn't hold it against them. He had the physical ability. Just no heart at all. Maybe the least I've seen in recent memory. He was the 12th overall pick and Kawhi was 15th overall and Derozan was 9th overall to put it into perspective. Had he turned out skill-wise like either of those players, he would be a centerpiece.

Just how the wind blows sometimes.

He showed some flashes in his first year (when he actually got minutes and the team was scrapping just to put talent on the floor), but yeah....once he got buried in the rotation, dude literally just stopped giving a fuck.

He actually had the audacity to try to demand a trade at the deadline...as if anyone else was really rushing out to bring in a malcontent Trey Lyles.

He didn't play a single game after that, and was in street clothes with a mysterious "ankle injury"

Rosewood
07-02-2021, 10:42 PM
He showed some flashes in his first year (when he actually got minutes and the team was scrapping just to put talent on the floor), but yeah....once he got buried in the rotation, dude literally just stopped giving a fuck.

He actually had the audacity to try to demand a trade at the deadline...as if anyone else was really rushing out to bring in Trey Lyles.

He didn't play a single game after that, and was in street clothes with a mysterious "ankle injury" Yeah how the Spurs do it. Lol same thing happened with Lamarcus. No more drama since that stupid fucking Kawhi shit that could have been easily avoided.

Unfortunately I also think we hit a dud on our replacement for him, that euro guy Luka. But might be bias/ignorant on it because haven't seen much of him other than him being a young dumb kid.

timtonymanu
07-02-2021, 11:10 PM
One more reason to hate Marcus Morris. Made us lose Bertans too, who is overrated but still an NBA talent compared to Lyles.

Rosewood
07-02-2021, 11:12 PM
One more reason to hate Marcus Morris. Made us lose Bertans too, who is overrated but still an NBA talent compared to Lyles. Yeah luckily that punk ass bully ain't ringing this year either. Fucking hate that guy.

GAustex
07-03-2021, 07:47 AM
Yeah Morris played pop like a fiddle

Fusternino
07-03-2021, 03:09 PM
I liked Lyles and KBD a lot in the games they played together. Still not sure what happened and why Pop keeps going with 4 guard lineups.

John B
07-03-2021, 04:00 PM
I liked Lyles and KBD a lot in the games they played together. Still not sure what happened and why Pop keeps going with 4 guard lineups.
KBD is fine. But Lyles, while skilled in some areas, is lazy and entitled. The guy was given a perfect opportunity to redeem himself after 2 teams dropped him. He was a starter almost all 1st season and was even in the Fiesta promo. He showed up unprepared. Such a waste of talent.

Mr. Body
07-03-2021, 10:02 PM
KBD is fine. But Lyles, while skilled in some areas, is lazy and entitled. The guy was given a perfect opportunity to redeem himself after 2 teams dropped him. He was a starter almost all 1st season and was even in the Fiesta promo. He showed up unprepared. Such a waste of talent.

He trained in the offseason with guys like Jabari Parker. Why you training with other guys close to falling out of the league?