PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Silver wants to back out of the BSPN/TNT TV deals and make more money from broadcasting

phxspurfan
07-10-2019, 12:24 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27158043/nba-needs-enforceable-free-agency-rules

Buried at the end of the article but arguably more important than the tampering BS that will never stick, Silver hinted he wants to use globalization as justification to renegotiate the TV/broadcasting rights (currently solely owned by BSPN/TNT).

Silver's probably getting pressured by business development folks from the Youtubes/Facebooks/Comcasts etc of the world to open up broadcasting to more than just old school TV (aka, open it more to OTT/streaming/mobile). Which would of course lead to more revenue for the league, more global audiences, and, as a consequence, more money spread around to teams (especially shitty small markets) and more money for LeBrons.

My guess is co-branded BSPN/TNT streams (with in-stream video ads) on Facebook/YT/Hulu, etc., with a mobile shift as well. BSPN/TNT will want to keep the rights and branding to retain audiences and ad dollars, but make a (huge) cut by licensing the streams out.

Silver did, however, say that the way the media landscape has changed since the league's current television deal was agreed to five years ago could lead to the NBA attempting to reopen it with its television partners -- ESPN and Turner Sports -- to allow the league to better optimize its business.

"It's amazing to me, again, having been at the league for a long time and having watched change over the years, how much that change is now accelerating," Silver said. "I think even just from the time we negotiated this set of television deals less than five years ago. I think there's a realization with us with our television partners that at the end of the day, even though we have six years left on these deals, there are potentially modifications we should be making so we can do a better job finding those fans.

"So I don't think there's anything endemic to the league. In fact, at our board meeting we discussed the growth in popularity of the sport, the growth in participation, the fact that we have a young, diverse, global audience. All very positive indicators. But at the end of the day, a large component of our revenue come from traditional media. It's not something we can ignore and it's something that we and our television partners need to address."

Millennial_Messiah
07-10-2019, 01:14 AM
Translation: Jew increases level of jewry to jew more money

In other news: Jumping off a balcony is not an effective means of healing your hickey or canker sore.

Spurtacular
07-10-2019, 01:37 AM
Jew gonna Jew.

Othyus Lalanne
07-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Jew gonna Jew.

You meant to say, humans gonna human.

DeadlyDynasty
07-10-2019, 09:01 AM
It's a pretty Jewish move for a human

Othyus Lalanne
07-10-2019, 09:15 AM
It's a pretty Jewish move for a human

There is no such thing.

Spurtacular
07-10-2019, 11:53 AM

Did I offend you, snowflake?

Othyus Lalanne
07-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Did I offend you, snowflake?

No, you offended all sentient life.

Spurtacular
07-10-2019, 06:22 PM
No, you offended all sentient life.

The higher forms of sentient life are aware of how shrewd the Jews are, snowflake.

I guess my comment isn't appropriate for your nursery life though.

Pavlov
07-10-2019, 06:58 PM
They're rightly alarmed about the decline of cable and the rise of streaming. My guess is they'd like to be able to push more LeaguePass in home markets without the current restrictions and sell some national games to Amazon. The stupid way NBA TV is bundled or not in cable and streaming packages almost makes me think it would be better off as an ad supported streaming service itself.

LkrFan
07-10-2019, 07:02 PM
TNT I'm good with. They can 86 BSPN tho.

Othyus Lalanne
07-10-2019, 11:19 PM
The higher forms of sentient life are aware of how shrewd the Jews are, snowflake.

I guess my comment isn't appropriate for your nursery life though.

People are shrewd.

You only say that if you are dumb or some mentally sheltered weirdo.

Chucho
07-11-2019, 12:12 PM
You only say that if you are dumb or some mentally sheltered weirdo.

Like someone seeking strangers' approval of their sign and avatars.

Othyus Lalanne
07-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Like someone seeking strangers' approval of their sign and avatars.

i was looking for that?