PDA

View Full Version : Adam Silver addresses free agency issues

SpursDynasty85
07-10-2019, 10:18 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27158043/nba-needs-enforceable-free-agency-rules

Edit: Looks like this was posted in the NBA forum but with all that's going on I thought I would share on the Spurs forum.

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Silver ain't gon do shit

exstatic
07-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Silver ain't gon do shit

weebo
07-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Silver ain't gon do shit

Dex
07-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Silver ain't gon do shit

Nope. This is the extent we will hear from it until next season, when he will pay more lip service to the issue and then continue to do nothing about it.

Besides, what are they going to do about players talking with each other? Wiretap them?

GreekSpursfan
07-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Nope. This is the extent we will hear from it until next season, when he will pay more lip service to the issue and then continue to do nothing about it.

Besides, what are they going to do about players talking with each other? Wiretap them?

pretty much this.

coachmac87
07-10-2019, 11:18 AM
What can he do?

Contracts are fully guaranteed..unless they limit the length of contracts, don’t fully guarantee them what can they do? A player can only request a trade with a certain amount of years remaining?

Teams shouldn’t be able to trade players with one year remaining unless the player 100% agrees to the destination?

exstatic
07-10-2019, 11:22 AM
What can he do?

Contracts are fully guaranteed..unless they limit the length of contracts, don’t fully guarantee them what can they do? A player can only request a trade with a certain amount of years remaining?

Teams shouldn’t be able to trade players with one year remaining unless the player 100% agrees to the destination?

Players are prohibited from coaching, assistant coaching, or owning any portion of an NBA team while playing. If they add that they can't own an agency that represents NBA players, a LOT of this shit goes away over night. LeBron would be forced to either retire or sell Klutch.

monty4329
07-10-2019, 11:54 AM
What can he do?

He can do this:

-A player under contract can be traded only in his last year of contract.
-If a player still wants to leave before, he can do it but he is going to be paid the vet min; the difference goes to the league and counts on the new team cap anyway.
-buyouts cannot sign anywhere until the following season

That would already do a lot to put some reins to this madness

cjw
07-10-2019, 11:59 AM
He can do this:

-If a player still wants to leave before, he can do it but he is going to be paid the vet min; the difference goes to the league and counts on the new team cap anyway.

Interesting ideas

I also think buyouts should go through an auction process and then be immediately tradeable. Teams with cap space or available exceptions can block players going to team of their choice. Or buying out team then gets credit towards next year’s cap for whatever the player signed for that year (or a trade exception).

ZeusWillJudge
07-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Early in that conference, Silver acknowledges that he's aware people are violating the moratorium and tampering rules. Then he does a little politician tapdance, and makes it sound like no big deal.

Silver wont do shit. And it's going to get worse before it gets better. Because until that dick with ears gets run out of town, this is the way it's meant to be.

vy65
07-10-2019, 12:14 PM
He can do this:

+1

Public trade demands result in 50% forfeiture of salary owed by the team.

Longer possible terms (6-7 years)

Unguaranteed contracts

Harry Callahan
07-10-2019, 12:48 PM
Adam Silver is an uber Beta. Nuff said.

JuneJive
07-10-2019, 12:52 PM
He's talking like he isn't the commish but some average Joe.

Mr. Body
07-10-2019, 12:53 PM
Adam Silver is what, I believe, alt-right incels call a beta cuck.

timtonymanu
07-10-2019, 12:56 PM
Yeah he’s not doing shit. He’ll make new rules for his SJW fanbase though.

buujness
07-10-2019, 12:57 PM
It wouldn't help preventing players from leaving, but it'd be nice to have a compensatory draft pick if one of these max or supermax players forces their way off of the team. Lose a supermax player, and you get a back end of the lottery pick.

Not ideal, but it would lessen the sting a little bit.

Mr. Body
07-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Yeah he’s not doing shit. He’ll make new rules for his SJW fanbase though.

He's not doing shit and then he is? You're a marvel.

lmbebo
07-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Silver doesn't mind all of this. This "drama" creates intrigue in the bigger markets and in social medial. So he will turn a blind eye to all of this.

RD2191
07-10-2019, 01:09 PM
The real problem is players forcing trades 1 year into their contract a la Paul George.

lmbebo
07-10-2019, 01:20 PM
The real problem is players forcing trades 1 year into their contract a la Paul George.

Don't think Presti was too upset. Think he was ready to blow it up himself.

But OKC had leverage on there side to say no.

spurs50_
07-10-2019, 01:29 PM
This fool should just admit that smaller market teams are only a farm system for the bigger
markets...
..He has no balls.

Keepin' it real
07-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Lol change the title. He talked about it but ain't addressing shit.

SpursDynasty85
07-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Lol change the title. He talked about it but ain't addressing shit.

To be fair, it seems like everyone found loopholes in the CBA. He is saying that there must be a lot of changes for the next CBA in 2021. There will be a huge fight and things will have to be addressed then. It will be probably a lost season.

steak n eggs
07-10-2019, 01:39 PM
This fool should just admit that smaller market teams are only a farm system for the bigger
markets...
..He has no balls.

That's what it feels like and if your team doesn't draft well, good luck. I know some people here complain about RC but I think the Spurs have a very good chance of becoming bottom of the barrel for a long time once he leaves. Might as well chop the league down to 8 big market teams so these diva players can live it up while playing a game for millions of dollars.

SpursDynasty85
07-10-2019, 01:42 PM
markets...
..He has no balls.

Who do you think approves the commissioner of the NBA? (OWNERS) Which owners have the most power? (The big market ones or the richest ones). This is the same reason why all big industries have corruption. People are acting like this is all on Silver. It's going to take a fan base, owners, media, and some part of government to overhaul this stuff where it actually enforces accountability.

DJR210
07-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Had this talk with someone the other day.. Thanks to social media everybody is connected. The league now is not really about building teams, it's about having cap flexibility to make sudden moves in the event a group of talented friends happens to want to borrow your facilities

ZeusWillJudge
07-10-2019, 01:55 PM
It's all working exactly the way Silver wants it to work. Why change?

JeffDuncan
07-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Abolish the moratorium period.

Make all contracts for one season only.

And you're done.

widowmaker
07-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Yeah I’ll probably just wrap it up ansd quit watching the nba maybe just stick to college ball or euro

Gervin44Silas13
07-12-2019, 06:40 AM
I like this..but Silver is too much of a pussy......and if they try this the player union will go apeshit on the new CBA.... the NBA needs to take a little reign on this shit....the draft will be pointless

He can do this:

HarlemHeat37
07-12-2019, 07:54 AM
I disagree with the posts in this thread, there's no way the white governors are going to continue allowing the Black players to have so much power:lol

The next CBA will definitely address trade demands while under contract, which I agree with, you should honor a deal you signed..

lmbebo
07-12-2019, 08:05 AM
shorter contracts, player empowerment, etc. Part of the last CBA created this. the Supermax was supposed to be a way to keep players at home. But it hasn't worked. Creates more issues. Plus money flowing from tv contracts, endorsements, etc. That players are willing to ignore the supermax to move.

Its a problem without clear solution.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-12-2019, 08:08 AM
I disagree with the posts in this thread, there's no way the white governors are going to continue allowing the Black players to have so much power:lol

The next CBA will definitely address trade demands while under contract, which I agree with, you should honor a deal you signed..

I dunno the last time I fully agreed with a tbHH post tbh

GAustex
07-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Yeah I’ll probably just wrap it up ansd quit watching the nba maybe just stick to college ball or euro
I am of the same viewpoint-for me it will be interesting if I keep the same rabid devotion to the Spurs.
This latest fiasco and the #2 thing and some other things have pushed me away.

K...
07-12-2019, 08:45 AM
They should lower the Max but sponsor big awards for first team and season awards. So a featured guy can sign in a local small team and try to put up stats to catch an eye, while superteams punish players by diminishing their production.

Maybe do some more mid season awards. Players probably hate this, but it solves the problem of borderline stars getting the big max and ruining teams.

baseline bum
07-12-2019, 08:56 AM
To be fair, it seems like everyone found loopholes in the CBA. He is saying that there must be a lot of changes for the next CBA in 2021. There will be a huge fight and things will have to be addressed then. It will be probably a lost season.

I don't think the CBA can be renegotiated until the summer of 2023, when the owners will surely opt out.

baseline bum
07-12-2019, 08:59 AM
+1

Public trade demands result in 50% forfeiture of salary owed by the team.

Longer possible terms (6-7 years)

Unguaranteed contracts

I can't imagine the owners won't be pushing hard for NFL style contracts in 2023. What a sucker's bet a max contract looks like right now for a small market when you're stuck paying it if the player sucks but when he lives up to it he can just demand a trade to a big market like Leonard, like Davis, like George. I used to be firmly on the side of players having guaranteed contracts but they can't have it both ways. If players get effectively perpetual free agency then owners should also get to re-evaluate their contracts every year too.

Mugen
07-12-2019, 09:06 AM
I can't imagine the owners won't be pushing hard for NFL style contracts in 2023. What a sucker's bet a max contract looks like right now for a small market when you're stuck paying it if the player sucks but when he lives up to it he can just demand a trade to a big market like Leonard, like Davis, like George. I used to be firmly on the side of players having guaranteed contracts but they can't have it both ways. If players get effectively perpetual free agency then owners should also get to re-evaluate their contracts every year too.

It used to be that if you locked a player up for 3-4 years, you'd feel safe about their future. Nowadays, it's just an opportunity for guys like Dennis, Klutch to secure the bag and then pick their destination of choice.

Sure, the owners might not care too much with revenue sharing but when small market fans start catching along, it might be a problem. I dont know but there's a lot of time before the next CBA agreement and I think things get worse before they get better....

vy65
07-12-2019, 09:56 AM

It used to be that if you locked a player up for 3-4 years, you'd feel safe about their future. Nowadays, it's just an opportunity for guys like Dennis, Klutch to secure the bag and then pick their destination of choice.

Sure, the owners might not care too much with revenue sharing but when small market fans start catching along, it might be a problem. I dont know but there's a lot of time before the next CBA agreement and I think things get worse before they get better....

Guaranteed contracts function as a negotiated-rate for large markets, like Paul George's contract. It's not an actual promise to the team that the player is committed to playing out his term with the team. As it stands now, small to mid markets are operating like farm teams for the coastal cities. Like BB said, it's perpetual free agency. I don't think you can disincentize or otherwise combat the super-friends culture most players have nowadays: "Let me get mine, fuck ownership" is pervasive. I think ownership needs to come back with some draconian tools since that'll be the only real thing that can be used in response.

SpursDynasty85
07-12-2019, 10:03 AM
I wonder if there is really an "OUT" for NBA players? Will there every be a viable 2nd option for the Players union to start there own league or have a league outside of the NBA?

monty4329
07-12-2019, 10:18 AM
I wonder if there is really an "OUT" for NBA players? Will there every be a viable 2nd option for the Players union to start there own league or have a league outside of the NBA?

Oh yes that would be fun. Have them run a league themselves before coming back begging. What a shitshow it would be, it would make the ASG look like organized basketball.

SpursDynasty85
07-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Oh yes that would be fun. Have them run a league themselves before coming back begging. What a shitshow it would be, it would make the ASG look like organized basketball.

Yea. I wouldn't want that at all either but I see I don't see how players lose leverage in the next CBA when they have even more options to showcase there talents via social media and separate streaming sites. Of course the contracts they signed will have something to say about that but people are saying "owners won't allow this, won't allow that" but all I see is a more pissed off ownership base but with less leverage than the last CBA agreement in the future.

monty4329
07-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Yea. I wouldn't want that at all either but I see I don't see how players lose leverage in the next CBA when they have even more options to showcase there talents via social media and separate streaming sites. Of course the contracts they signed will have something to say about that but people are saying "owners won't allow this, won't allow that" but all I see is a more pissed off ownership base but with less leverage than the last CBA agreement in the future.

Owners can't care less. Besides a couple which are involved, most of them are gazillionaires for whom a team is no more than a pet at best, or just an investment. Moneywise, it is working great. It will soon veer towards a wrestling-style league where no real basketball will be played, just a circus. If you have a kid in HS or younger playing ''basketball'' you know what I mean. Sad state of affairs, I am afraid.

SpursDynasty85
07-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Owners can't care less. Besides a couple which are involved, most of them are gazillionaires for whom a team is no more than a pet at best, or just an investment. Moneywise, it is working great. It will soon veer towards a wrestling-style league where no real basketball will be played, just a circus. If you have a kid in HS or younger playing ''basketball'' you know what I mean. Sad state of affairs, I am afraid.

Yea I feel you. But for the amount of times players craped on fans and owners there honestly probably has been 10x more times owners have crapped on players. Look at what they did to Kevin Durant. If that was your friend or your favorite all-time player, you might feel a different way about owners and contract negotiations.

All this will really do is hurt the ones that have historically "done things the right way" but at the NBA level, no one has "clean hands".

ZeusWillJudge
07-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Trey Lyles was a lottery pick who underperformed so badly that is first team traded him, and his second team just let him go for free. The Spurs sign him, fix what's wrong, showcase him in a winning program - and he'll be leaving to pair up with Zion in LA.

It's the Circle of Life.

ZeusWillJudge
07-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Players' Basketball League. Pole dancers on the stanchions. Full end zone style celebrations after every dunk. Dance-off at the ASG. It'll be great.

ZeusWillJudge
07-12-2019, 11:03 AM
I disagree with the posts in this thread, there's no way the white governors are going to continue allowing the Black players to have so much power

I see white people!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/mandelaeffect/images/d/db/I_see.jpg