PDA

View Full Version : The Story Behind the Knicks/Morris/Bullock Situation

ZeusWillJudge
07-10-2019, 10:37 AM
This is an overview of what happened with Morris and the Knicks. I've rounded numbers - the exact amounts aren't important. I've made some conclusions, but the facts make it pretty hard to conclude otherwise. It may not be perfect, but it's close enough, I think.

The History:

The Knicks had a shitload of cap space this year, but failed to land any top-tier FA's (like Durant). After signing a number of lesser FA's the Knicks agreed to a 2/$21M contract with Reggie Bullock, which left them with their $4.67M room exception. But then the Knicks saw Marcus Morris agree to sign for "just" the full MLE with the Spurs, and figured out an angle where they could get him and Bullock both. The first step was finding a way to "re-work" Bullock's contract. To do that, they claimed that something had come up in his physical. The story is that Bullock missed 8 of the last 10 games of the season due to plantar fasciitis, and so he "might not be able to play a full season" next year. And if he can't play a full season, the reasoning goes, they shouldn't have to pay him a full salary. (Remember that the Knicks knew about him missing those late games, but offered him a contract anyway.)

The Facts:

Bullock finished last season with the Lakers. In the last month of the season, he missed 4, then played 2, then missed 4 more. The reason given for missing the first 4 games was plantar fasciitis, but the reason given at the time for missing the second four games was "neck soreness". Missing 4 games in March with plantar fasciitis isn't a reason to say that the player likely "can't play a full season" the next year. And if you remember, the Lakers went into full tank mode at the end, because they were out of the playoff picture - they weren't even trying to field their best players in those last few games. Bullock sitting those last 4 games likely had less to do with any medical issue, and more to do with the Lakers mailing it in, and evaluating younger players, since they didn't plan to sign Bullock the next season anyway. (I've got a link below from April 7, which was the second to last game of the Lakers' season. The reason given for him missing games at that time was still "neck soreness" - not plantar fasciitis, like the media is helpfully claiming.)

The Goal:

If the Knicks could void their deal with Bullock, they would have about $14.6M to offer Morris - which they figured would be more than enough to get him to renege on the Spurs. But remember they weren't really trying to void the deal with Bullock. This is all about finding a way to get Bullock and Morris both, with the cap room they have and their Room Exception.

The Problem:

To make it all work, the Knicks needed Bullock to go along, and they had to give him a deal that would be enough for that, but still leave them their full remaining cap to give Morris. They knew that Bullock and his agent would challenge the idea that he is unfit to play, if they went that route. So they cooked up this story that he "won't be able to play a full season", as a way to explain them "reworking" his contract.

Now... there's no way Bullock is going to agree to play for the Room Exception. That's roughly $6M/season less than the deal they offered him. (Give or take.) So they are busily trying to come up with a scheme that he will accept, and still leave them the room to sign Morris.

Where It's Probably Going:

Logically, there's no way the Knicks can pull this off with the money they have available. The Room Exception is way too much less than he was offered. And he knows that he's not unfit to play - there's no reason for him to take that much less. (Everyone knows that he's not unfit to play - the whole thing is a farce.) They can't combine the room exception with cap space to give Bullock more, and even if they could, they can't short Morris or he won't sign.

The only way for the Knicks to get there, IMO, is going to be to promise him some kind of back door money, or shorten his deal to 1 year, with the promise of a much bigger payday next year. Both of which are illegal. But as "creative" as they have been so far, I don't see any reason why they would stop short now. Bullock and his agent are now in on the deal - which is why the agent is praising the Knick's FO, rather than blasting them for trying to void the deal. Morris and his people have to know, but all they care about is getting $15M instead of $10 - but the understand the reason for the delay, and that's why we don't have anything official yet. If the Knicks' deal falls through, Morris falls back on the Spurs' offer like nothing ever happened, and exercises his player option next season. The media (especially the NY media) are playing their part, talking about Bullock missing the end of the season due to plantar fasciitis. The League has to know that it's a farce, but they are going to accept the Knicks' cover story, if they work out the details well enough.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/lakers-reggie-bullock-remains-shelved/

Bullock (neck) has been ruled out for Sunday's game against Utah.
Bullock will remain on the bench for the third straight contest while dealing with neck soreness. He figures to be a game-time call for the Lakers' final regular-season game Tuesday against Portland.

Edit: The first link was from April 7. This one is April 4. Note that he had just played 2 games. So he missed 4 with PF, then missed the last 4 with neck soreness - not plantar fasciitis.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/lakers-reggie-bullock-game-time-call-thursday/

Bullock is questionable for Thursday's game against Golden State due to a stiff neck, Mike Trudell of the Lakers' official site reports.
Bullock was a late addition to the injury report, and his status likely won't be cleared up until right before tipoff. He's come off the bench for the Lakers in each of the previous two contests.

weebo
07-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Seems plausible. Good work.

Keepin' it real
07-10-2019, 10:55 AM
If Colin Cowturd corroborates this, I'll believe it.

mo7888
07-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Good stuff

Spursfanfromafar
07-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Doesn't seem plausible as the expectation is that Reggie Bullock will be willing to take a paycut and is acceptable to being labelled someone who failed a medical to enable a backdoor pay-in. Seems very unlikely. He may be a bullock but he ain't accepting this bullshit.

rjv
07-10-2019, 10:57 AM
can't imagine that the spurs FO is sitting idly by, while the knicks, the league and some shady agents try to conspire to find a way to bend the rules to their advantage.

mo7888
07-10-2019, 10:58 AM
I think this all gets resolved today

ZeusWillJudge
07-10-2019, 10:59 AM

I just added a second injury report and link. It shows clearly - Bullock missed 4 games with PF. Then he came back and played 2 games (with no problems, looking at the game logs). Then they shelved him for the last 4 games, and blamed neck soreness.

Is that enough reason to re-work a guy's contract?

Spursfanfromafar
07-10-2019, 11:00 AM
The more likely reason is that Bullock did actually fail his physical and that got the Knicks in a soup. They tried to make something of this by contacting Morris who is now undecided whether this really helps him in the medium term. In the short term, its a clear salary increase compared to the Spurs.

ZeusWillJudge
07-10-2019, 11:05 AM
The more likely reason is that Bullock did actually fail his physical and that got the Knicks in a soup. They tried to make something of this by contacting Morris who is now undecided whether this really helps him in the medium term. In the short term, its a clear salary increase compared to the Spurs.

Except for the fact that they are explicitly not trying to get out of signing Bullock. They want him - they just want him for less money. They aren't even attempting to hide that. So he didn't "fail" his physical.

That, and the fact that they keep crowing about how "re-working" Bullock's contract lets them sign Morris.

I've linked to injury reports from the time that show he only missed 4 games with plantar fasciitis, then came back and played well. Those last 4 games listed "neck soreness".

Believe what you want - but we all saw the Lakers shelf some of their better players in those last games. There is nothing to show that Bullock had an injury problem that cost him the end of the season - but that's exactly the story the NY media is giving. Why make that up?

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2019, 11:06 AM
:tu

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2019, 11:08 AM
NBA reporter types will make plantar fascilitis out to be akin to AIDS if it will help the Knicks.

K...
It would be much more ethical if the Knicks jettisoned Bullock and then committed to Morris at a 11mill or more offer and offer Bullock the scraps. Cap space is rare, but a team shouldn't play agents like this. They're playing two agents against each other for a small pool of money.

Spursfanfromafar
Except for the fact that they are explicitly not trying to get out of signing Bullock. They want him - they just want him for less money. They aren't even attempting to hide that. So he didn't "fail" his physical.

That, and the fact that they keep crowing about how "re-working" Bullock's contract lets them sign Morris.

I've linked to injury reports from the time that show he only missed 4 games with plantar fasciitis, then came back and played well. Those last 4 games listed "neck soreness".

Believe what you want - but we all saw the Lakers shelf some of their better players in those last games. There is nothing to show that Bullock had an injury problem that cost him the end of the season - but that's exactly the story the NY media is giving. Why make that up?

The Knicks' problem is that they aren't getting any free agents to come to them. And they dont have anything on their roster beyond projects. Bullock could be useful later in the season, which is why they want to rework his contract considering his physical state. Again I am speculating, but I dont see your roundabout take on a possible skulduggery logically consistent.

monty4329
07-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Doesn't seem plausible as the expectation is that Reggie Bullock will be willing to take a paycut and is acceptable to being labelled someone who failed a medical to enable a backdoor pay-in. Seems very unlikely. He may be a bullock but he ain't accepting this bullshit.

I totally agree with this.

He legitimately partially failed his physical, Morris agent called the Knicks -probably not telling the whole extent of the agreement with the Spurs (or maybe yes, we don't know if Spurs told him if you can get more, go get it).

In my view, there is no way a player of average caliber smears himself like that, this things come out sooner than later...

exstatic
07-10-2019, 11:10 AM
The Knicks' problem is that they aren't getting any free agents to come to them. And they dont have anything on their roster beyond projects. Bullock could be useful later in the season, which is why they want to rework his contract considering his physical state. Again I am speculating, but I dont see your roundabout take on a possible skulduggery logically consistent.

You're naive.

K...
07-10-2019, 11:12 AM
I can just see it. The Knicks lose at free agency, then they get a little cap space when everyone else had filled their roster , and suddenly it's "dance for me my pawns, I control the money"

Spursfanfromafar
07-10-2019, 11:14 AM
You're naive.

Think what you will. I think the Knicks aren't that naive that they can get away with such skulduggery involving a team like the Spurs. It is clearly more a case of Morris being upset with the lack of a market for him despite a decent season and a below-his-expectations salary and wanting another chance at the free agency thing earlier next year in a more limited market. By earning $5 million (and somewhat less because of the tax thing), he is trying to maximise both his short and long term earning possibilities. He is still thinking because the only team offering him $5 million is the wretched Knicks.

Mr. Body
07-10-2019, 11:15 AM
It would be much more ethical if the Knicks jettisoned Bullock and then committed to Morris at a 11mill or more offer and offer Bullock the scraps. Cap space is rare, but a team shouldn't play agents like this. They're playing two agents against each other for a small pool of money.

Going after a committed player ain't kosher.

GreekSpursfan
The only way for the Knicks to get there, IMO, is going to be to promise him some kind of back door money, or shorten his deal to 1 year, with the promise of a much bigger payday next year. Both of which are illegal. But as "creative" as they have been so far, I don't see any reason why they would stop short now. Bullock and his agent are now in on the deal - which is why the agent is praising the Knick's FO, rather than blasting them for trying to void the deal. Morris and his people have to know, but all they care about is getting $15M instead of $10 - but the understand the reason for the delay, and that's why we don't have anything official yet. If the Knicks' deal falls through, Morris falls back on the Spurs' offer like nothing ever happened, and exercises his player option next season. The media (especially the NY media) are playing their part, talking about Bullock missing the end of the season due to plantar fasciitis. The League has to know that it's a farce, but they are going to accept the Knicks' cover story, if they work out the details well enough.

This is the part we should pay attention too. Good job op

monty4329
This is an overview of what happened with Morris and the Knicks. I've rounded numbers - the exact amounts aren't important. I've made some conclusions, but the facts make it pretty hard to conclude otherwise. It may not be perfect, but it's close enough, I think.

The History:

The Knicks had a shitload of cap space this year, but failed to land any top-tier FA's (like Durant). After signing a number of lesser FA's the Knicks agreed to a 2/$21M contract with Reggie Bullock, which left them with their $4.67M room exception. But then the Knicks saw Marcus Morris agree to sign for "just" the full MLE with the Spurs, and figured out an angle where they could get him and Bullock both. The first step was finding a way to "re-work" Bullock's contract. To do that, they claimed that something had come up in his physical. The story is that Bullock missed 8 of the last 10 games of the season due to plantar fasciitis, and so he "might not be able to play a full season" next year. And if he can't play a full season, the reasoning goes, they shouldn't have to pay him a full salary. (Remember that the Knicks knew about him missing those late games, but offered him a contract anyway.)

The Facts:

Bullock finished last season with the Lakers. In the last month of the season, he missed 4, then played 2, then missed 4 more. The reason given for missing the first 4 games was plantar fasciitis, but the reason given at the time for missing the second four games was "neck soreness". Missing 4 games in March with plantar fasciitis isn't a reason to say that the player likely "can't play a full season" the next year. And if you remember, the Lakers went into full tank mode at the end, because they were out of the playoff picture - they weren't even trying to field their best players in those last few games. Bullock sitting those last 4 games likely had less to do with any medical issue, and more to do with the Lakers mailing it in, and evaluating younger players, since they didn't plan to sign Bullock the next season anyway. (I've got a link below from April 7, which was the second to last game of the Lakers' season. The reason given for him missing games at that time was still "neck soreness" - not plantar fasciitis, like the media is helpfully claiming.)

The Goal:

If the Knicks could void their deal with Bullock, they would have about $14.6M to offer Morris - which they figured would be more than enough to get him to renege on the Spurs. But remember they weren't really trying to void the deal with Bullock. This is all about finding a way to get Bullock and Morris both, with the cap room they have and their Room Exception.

The Problem:

To make it all work, the Knicks needed Bullock to go along, and they had to give him a deal that would be enough for that, but still leave them their full remaining cap to give Morris. They knew that Bullock and his agent would challenge the idea that he is unfit to play, if they went that route. So they cooked up this story that he "won't be able to play a full season", as a way to explain them "reworking" his contract.

Now... there's no way Bullock is going to agree to play for the Room Exception. That's roughly $6M/season less than the deal they offered him. (Give or take.) So they are busily trying to come up with a scheme that he will accept, and still leave them the room to sign Morris.

Where It's Probably Going:

Logically, there's no way the Knicks can pull this off with the money they have available. The Room Exception is way too much less than he was offered. And he knows that he's not unfit to play - there's no reason for him to take that much less. (Everyone knows that he's not unfit to play - the whole thing is a farce.) They can't combine the room exception with cap space to give Bullock more, and even if they could, they can't short Morris or he won't sign.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/lakers-reggie-bullock-remains-shelved/

Bullock (neck) has been ruled out for Sunday's game against Utah.
Bullock will remain on the bench for the third straight contest while dealing with neck soreness. He figures to be a game-time call for the Lakers' final regular-season game Tuesday against Portland.

Edit: The first link was from April 7. This one is April 4. Note that he had just played 2 games. So he missed 4 with PF, then missed the last 4 with neck soreness - not plantar fasciitis.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/lakers-reggie-bullock-game-time-call-thursday/

Bullock is questionable for Thursday's game against Golden State due to a stiff neck, Mike Trudell of the Lakers' official site reports.
Bullock was a late addition to the injury report, and his status likely won't be cleared up until right before tipoff. He's come off the bench for the Lakers in each of the previous two contests.

That might be true, but I can't see how an average player -not a superstar, they have other rules- can jettison his future contracts this way. Accepting to fake a partially failed physical?
Seems career suicide to me. And for the agent.

Also Mills doesn't have a bad reputation (this might mean nothing, I know).

Other than that, yours is a plausible scenario. I just believe it being less plausible than others.

K...
07-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Going after a committed player ain't kosher.

I agree, but the facts wouldn't be as damming as trapping a player (Bullock) into bidding with himself. I'm normal times Bullock would just give all teams the chance to sign him with the medical red flag. But Bullock is trapped because rosters are mostly full. Screwing a competitor team, bad, but also renegging and negotiating in bad faith on your own players contract is worse

ZeusWillJudge
07-10-2019, 11:23 AM
He legitimately partially failed his physical, Morris agent called the Knicks -probably not telling the whole extent of the agreement with the Spurs (or maybe yes, we don't know if Spurs told him if you can get more, go get it).

Can you give me another example of a guy "partially" failing his physical, and the team says, "Hey, we still want you - we just want to pay you partial money, since you're only partially healthy"? I can't think of when I've seen it happen.

And you think Morris' agent called the Knicks, because he got wind of the fact that Bullock might be getting partial payment, which would allow them to sign his client for more? That somehow seems more plausible to you? LOL... okay.

Here - this is from NBC Sports:

"But Bullock appeared healthy entering free agency. Though he missed several games late in the season with neck stiffness, the Lakers were out of the playoff chase. They were sitting several veterans.

Maybe Bullock’s physical uncovered something. This is a strange development.

The Knicks were counting on Bullock’s outside shooting. They’ll probably be bad next season either way, but their spacing would be better with Bullock.

If his contract with New York falls through, Bullock would look like damaged goods as he re-enters the market. Cap space has also evaporated around the league since he agreed to terms. There’s pressure on him to salvage a deal with the Knicks."

weebo
07-10-2019, 11:24 AM
The NBA is a shady business. Why wouldn’t it be plausible?

weebo
07-10-2019, 11:24 AM
The NBA is a shady business. Why wouldn’t it be plausible?

offset formation
07-10-2019, 11:27 AM

exstatic
07-10-2019, 11:28 AM
I agree, but the facts wouldn't be as damming as trapping a player (Bullock) into bidding with himself. I'm normal times Bullock would just give all teams the chance to sign him with the medical red flag. But Bullock is trapped because rosters are mostly full. Screwing a competitor team, bad, but also renegging and negotiating in bad faith on your own players contract is worse

Bullock has a case if NY renegs on him. He can flat just say that NY has to live up to their offer. If they don't, all other agencies other than Klutch will be reluctant to deal with the Knicks.

exstatic
07-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Think what you will. I think the Knicks aren't that naive that they can get away with such skulduggery involving a team like the Spurs. It is clearly more a case of Morris being upset with the lack of a market for him despite a decent season and a below-his-expectations salary and wanting another chance at the free agency thing earlier next year in a more limited market. By earning $5 million (and somewhat less because of the tax thing), he is trying to maximise both his short and long term earning possibilities. He is still thinking because the only team offering him $5 million is the wretched Knicks.

He's not thinking at all, because there's nothing to think about. $15M > $10M. You're either about the money, and you go to NY, or you're not, and you go to SA. Since he's not in SA, he's about the money, and is waiting for NY and Klutch to make this happen behind closed doors.

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2019, 11:33 AM
Factor in that Morris only earned 5 Million last year and you can see why he considers this offer. Good breakdown Zeus, I can't see Bullock taking a big paycut like that either

monty4329
07-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Can you give me another example of a guy "partially" failing his physical, and the team says, "Hey, we still want you - we just want to pay you partial money, since you're only partially healthy"? I can't think of when I've seen it happen.

And you think Morris' agent called the Knicks, because he got wind of the fact that Bullock might be getting partial payment, which would allow them to sign his client for more? That somehow seems more plausible to you? LOL... okay.

Here - this is from NBC Sports:

"But Bullock appeared healthy entering free agency. Though he missed several games late in the season with neck stiffness, the Lakers were out of the playoff chase. They were sitting several veterans.
Maybe Bullock’s physical uncovered something. This is a strange development.
The Knicks were counting on Bullock’s outside shooting. They’ll probably be bad next season either way, but their spacing would be better with Bullock.
If his contract with New York falls through, Bullock would look like damaged goods as he re-enters the market. Cap space has also evaporated around the league since he agreed to terms. There’s pressure on him to salvage a deal with the Knicks."

My point in bold. Not saying you don't make sense, just I can't fathom how Bullock can accept that.

About 'partially failing', if indeed he has still a plantar fasciitis, that can certainly prevent him playing for a few months (see Teodosic two seasons ago, played a couple preseasons games and one reg season before sitting months -he didn't get it during training camp, I suppose).
I can see his agents telling Knicks 'don't kill the deal, his career would be over, sign him anyway for less'.

exstatic
07-10-2019, 11:34 AM
What would be funny is if SA pulled their offer, and then NY told Morris, he'd have to split the money with Bullock ($7.5M each) or take the room exception. What could he do? Right now, he has our offer as leverage.

cjw
07-10-2019, 11:37 AM
I’m going to laugh when the NBA docks them a first round pick for these shenanigans when they’re going to be in the top 4 for lottery balls.

daslicer
He's not thinking at all, because there's nothing to think about. $15M > $10M. You're either about the money, and you go to NY, or you're not, and you go to SA. Since he's not in SA, he's about the money, and is waiting for NY and Klutch to make this happen behind closed doors.

It depends on what type of risk he wants to take. The 2 year deal gives him insurance in the sense if he gets a serious injury like an acl tear in the first year of the contract that he will be covered for another year. He also has the option of opting out if he’s healthy and wants to test the market. The Knicks deal is high risk high reward.

Marcus Bryant
What would be funny is if SA pulled their offer, and then NY told Morris, he'd have to split the money with Bullock ($7.5M each) or take the room exception. What could he do? Right now, he has our offer as leverage.

Pretty much. Spurs would have to reach that point to cut the cord, maybe they are there at this point.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2019, 11:38 AM
I’m going to laugh when the NBA docks them a first round pick for these shenanigans when they’re going to be in the top 4 for lottery balls.

The league office would never do that to its Knickerbockers. C'mon.

cjw
07-10-2019, 11:40 AM
The league office would never do that to its Knickerbockers. C'mon.

NFL did it to the Patriots and Saints

And NBA has precedent on the Joe Smith saga

exstatic
07-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Silly you. The NBA only enforces these things with small market teams, like Minnesota, for instance...

monty4329
07-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Anybody has memory of something similar, relatively recently?

cjw
07-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Silly you. The NBA only enforces these things with small market teams, like Minnesota, for instance...

Meanwhile the Knicks get cold envelopes but no titles since then to show for it

ZeusWillJudge
07-10-2019, 12:00 PM
My point in bold. Not saying you don't make sense, just I can't fathom how Bullock can accept that.

About 'partially failing', if indeed he has still a plantar fasciitis, that can certainly prevent him playing for a few months (see Teodosic two seasons ago, played a couple preseasons games and one reg season before sitting months -he didn't get it during training camp, I suppose).
I can see his agents telling Knicks 'don't kill the deal, his career would be over, sign him anyway for less'.

Yeah, but my question was: have you EVER known of a team to say that a player "partially failed" their physical, so they are willing to pay partial money? I wonder if you can even get insurance for a player that you've already admitted has a serious medical condition?

I said it in the other thread - I think they have Bullock over a barrel. If they say he failed and that he's unfit, he's screwed. If they find a creative way to split the difference, even if it's back-door, he's better off than trying to go on the open market this late with the reputation of being unfit to sign.

monty4329
07-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Yeah, but my question was: have you EVER known of a team to say that a player "partially failed" their physical, so they are willing to pay partial money? I wonder if you can even get insurance for a player that you've already admitted has a serious medical condition?

I said it in the other thread - I think they have Bullock over a barrel. If they say he failed and that he's unfit, he's screwed. If they find a creative way to split the difference, even if it's back-door, he's better off than trying to go on the open market this late with the reputation of being unfit to sign.

OK, say that's the case.

To sign Morris? Are they totally mad? I know it is the Knicks, but Mills is a reputable executive, this is suicidal.

(let's sign Bullock....)

Dverde
07-10-2019, 12:10 PM
To do all this for the hope of an eighth seed seems ridiculous. I could understand if they had the same agent. We all know they are trading Marcus Morris or buying him out.

ZeusWillJudge
07-10-2019, 12:17 PM
OK, say that's the case.

To sign Morris? Are they totally mad? I know it is the Knicks, but Mills is a reputable executive, this is suicidal.

To do all this for the hope of an eighth seed seems ridiculous. I could understand if they had the same agent. We all know they are trading Marcus Morris or buying him out.

That's the cherry on the cake. It's the fucking Knicks. You can see from that NBC article I posted - they pissed off all that cap money, and they are STILL worried about how bad their spacing will be even with Bullock. And they're scared about how bad it will be without him.

Yes, they're that stupid and desperate. And have been for a lot of years.

Dverde
07-10-2019, 12:21 PM
So do Spurs fan boo both brothers or only Marcus? I’m thinking both.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Great analysis, Zeus.

Mr. Body
07-10-2019, 12:45 PM
This Knicks team may be the worst all-time. Hell, have you seen R.J. Barrett play? He's straight up trash at this moment, tunnel vision with no skills.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2019, 12:47 PM
That's the cherry on the cake. It's the fucking Knicks. You can see from that NBC article I posted - they pissed off all that cap money, and they are STILL worried about how bad their spacing will be even with Bullock. And they're scared about how bad it will be without him.

Yes, they're that stupid and desperate. And have been for a lot of years.

:tu What they are trying to pull is obvious and it would directly screw a player. It's a bad precedent for players to have deals rescinded over a common player condition like this. I would be very surprised to see this go down without some kind of blowback.

monty4329
07-10-2019, 12:50 PM
:tu What they are trying to pull is obvious and it would directly screw a player. It's a bad precedent for players to have deals rescinded over a common player condition like this. I would be very surprised to see this go down without some kind of blowback.

Motiejunas got a ton of millions on a settlemnt for something somewhat similar, freom HOU (differnt case, but involved a dispute over a pulled offer and failed physical)

Mr. Body
07-10-2019, 12:52 PM

This isn't really accurate. What he's going for is a big FA payday in a seller's market next summer. He's not considering how fucking over a franchise might impact things for him next year. Hint: he's a FA if he wants either way. Of course Marcus Morris ain't known for thinking.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-10-2019, 12:56 PM

I think it would take a national reporter to write a negative article for a blowback to occur. And it can’t be Skip.

wildbill2u
07-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Morris wasn't going to be a miracle player for the Spurs anyway, so if he has an attitude that he can back out and go somewhere else, I don't want him to be forced to come here. The Spurs should ask the league for a fine equal to half his salary in NY. They'd get some 'found money' in the pot without having to earn it. The league would make a feeble assertion that they are going to enforce tampering rules and everyone goes home happy.

sasaint
07-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Morris wasn't going to be a miracle player for the Spurs anyway, so if he has an attitude that he can back out and go somewhere else, I don't want him to be forced to come here. The Spurs should ask the league for a fine equal to half his salary in NY. They'd get some 'found money' in the pot without having to earn it. The league would make a feeble assertion that they are going to enforce tampering rules and everyone goes home happy.

Marcus wasn’t going to be a miracle player for us, but he would have been VERY GOOD. Nonetheless you paint a dream scenario.

spurraider21
07-10-2019, 02:45 PM
i dont understand why the knicks are going through all these hoops and gymnastics only to add marcus morris on a 1 year deal in a season when they're going to be bottom barrel regardless

lmbebo
07-10-2019, 02:47 PM
i dont understand why the knicks are going through all these hoops and gymnastics only to add marcus morris on a 1 year deal in a season when they're going to be bottom barrel regardless

Maybe trying to curry favor with Klutch?

spurraider21
07-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Maybe trying to curry favor with Klutch?
for who? lebron? davis? john wall?

SpursRussia
07-10-2019, 03:10 PM

They are not just incompetent, but also stupid. Once they realized they had lost the FA battle to Brooklyn and to a lesser extent Miami (first day of FA) they should've started to accumulate assets using their capspace, taking on bad 2 year contracts for picks or players on rookie scale, with no less than 2 years under contract. That way they would have been able to be players for Giannis, CJ McCollum, Gobert, Beal, Oladipo and other top tier FAs of 2021 class. They could've made space for 2 max FAs and have a bunch of talented youngsters with 2-3 years on rookie deals, experienced enough to go deep in playoffs but cheap enough to fill the roster with role players. Or they could also trade those youngsters and accumulated assets for 3rd star.

But they did some of the dumbest things I've ever seen, filling the roster with mediocre players on 1+1 contracts, looking for non existent FA class of 2020 or waiting until 2021, but with lesser assets, than in the above mentioned scenario.

I think they just panicked seeing Brooklyn get a competent FO, getting a good team, go into playoffs and attract big FAs, so they decided to field a better team, but did it the Knicks way. Also there is some smart ass move to get all the PFs on the market to create a shortage and trade them to contenders at the deadline, but contenders don't usually have premier assets at that point and having 5 guys, some of them headcases, fight for playing time and next contract is going to explode big time, affecting the development of their young guys.

DAF86
07-10-2019, 03:20 PM
If Morris goes to the Knicks, just offer Bullock the MLE.

spurraider21
07-10-2019, 03:22 PM
we need that PF who can dabble at SF... bullock doesnt move the needle. we have enough guards and we brought in carroll primarily to be the reserve 3

DAF86
07-10-2019, 03:24 PM
we need that PF who can dabble at SF... bullock doesnt move the needle. we have enough guards and we brought in carroll primarily to be the reserve 3

Meh. Sure, Bullock isn't as ideal as Morris. But a 6'7" guy who shoots 40% from 3 isn't too shabby.

DAF86
07-10-2019, 03:25 PM
White, DeRozan, Bullock, Carroll, Aldridge
Murray, Forbes, Walker, Gay, Poeltl

That's better than Layles or whoever other stiff is there at PF.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2019, 03:39 PM

Can't the MLE be split amongst multiple players?

DAF86
07-10-2019, 03:54 PM

I would rather secure it on good one. Than divide it among several mediocre ones.

slick'81
07-10-2019, 04:00 PM
All this because the fcker has plantar fasciitis.A 7 mil pay cut

tbdog
07-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Yes but we don't have space.

Pavlov
07-10-2019, 05:56 PM
All this because the fcker has plantar fasciitis.A 7 mil pay cutThat part doesn't make any sense, especially during the summer. They're acting like he has to replace his foot with one of those springy blade things.

cd021
07-10-2019, 06:25 PM
NBA reporter types will make plantar fascilitis out to be akin to AIDS if it will help the Knicks.
:lol
I actually have plantar fasciitis; it's pretty painful, no doubt, but simply wearing a compression sock cut the pain level down significantly. No way it would be serious enough for Bullock to agree to take half of what he was initially offered from the Knicks- one would think, at least.

Chinook
07-10-2019, 06:40 PM
:lol
I actually have plantar fasciitis; it's pretty painful, no doubt, but simply wearing a compression sock cut the pain level down significantly. No way it would be serious enough for Bullock to agree to take half of what he was initially offered from the Knicks- one would think, at least.

Remember how many games White missed with it last year. It certainly can flare up if you don't rest it. I actually have it myself too. There are days where it feels completely fine, and there are days where I can barely walk. I can't imagine how much harder it is to play at an NBA level with that pain. It does feel like they have enough time to fix it at this point without it affecting the season, but yeah, he could miss a lot of time if he's still suffering come October.

Of course, it's hard to reasonably expect that issue to warrant such a drop in salary. Keeping the same APY but dropping or altering the guarantee on the second year? Makes sense. Reducing the money for both years? Not really.

weebo
07-10-2019, 10:10 PM

Leasshole?

weebo
07-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Just give TRob a shot.

Mr. Body
07-10-2019, 10:14 PM
Just give TRob a shot.

Oh hell no.