PDA

View Full Version : Summer League Grades: Spurs vs. Suns - July 10, 2019

timvp
07-11-2019, 01:12 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-spurs-summer-league-suns-game-7/

Quinndary Weatherspoon looks like a helluva second round pick. Luka Samanic and his tools also continue to impress.

slick'81
07-11-2019, 01:13 AM
Im trying not to be too excited but kj,q and luka all look like solid picks the spurs can develop

timvp
07-11-2019, 01:16 AM
Im trying not to be too excited but kj,q and luka all look like solid picks the spurs can develop

White, Murray, Walker, KJ, Spoon, Luka, Forbes, Poeltl .... nice :tu

KobesAchilles
07-11-2019, 01:33 AM
:lobt2::lobt2:

poopbox
07-11-2019, 01:36 AM
I'm going to need to find a happy place to go to during the season because I feel like Weatherspoon is a better fit...and probably already better player... than patty mills...yet no matter how well weatherspoon plays he is going to be in austin and no matter how much coffee gang gets torched he is going to be closing out at least 1 game a week for the spurs...

John B
07-11-2019, 01:43 AM
Thanks Timvp. I already know about Luka/Keldon upsides. But QDarry is ready to be a 3rd PG I believe. He’s an insurance in case we move Mills/Belli.

I like Ewwbanks tonight. And I really am rooting for him to develop better defense, boxing out, holding his ground at the paint, raise his arms and just use his height. He has the offensive skills, quick feet, variety of moves, but I want him to be tough on defense. He has the body, speed and athleticism, just dedication to defend, stand ground, bang. Splitter was not particularly good at defense at first, but he learned to use his size and body, toughness. I think he has the potential to be better than whoever available out there. I’m surprised to say I’m rooting for him to get that 3rd big spot.

duncan2k5
07-11-2019, 02:20 AM

Forbes?? GTFOH

duncan2k5
07-11-2019, 02:20 AM
I'm going to need to find a happy place to go to during the season because I feel like Weatherspoon is a better fit...and probably already better player... than patty mills...yet no matter how well weatherspoon plays he is going to be in austin and no matter how much coffee gang gets torched he is going to be closing out at least 1 game a week for the spurs...

Completely agree, sadly

ceperez
07-11-2019, 07:14 AM
Thanks Timvp. I already know about Luka/Keldon upsides. But QDarry is ready to be a 3rd PG I believe. He’s an insurance in case we move Mills/Belli.

I like Ewwbanks tonight. And I really am rooting for him to develop better defense, boxing out, holding his ground at the paint, raise his arms and just use his height. He has the offensive skills, quick feet, variety of moves, but I want him to be tough on defense. He has the body, speed and athleticism, just dedication to defend, stand ground, bang. Splitter was not particularly good at defense at first, but he learned to use his size and body, toughness. I think he has the potential to be better than whoever available out there. I’m surprised to say I’m rooting for him to get that 3rd big spot.

Eubanks is a decent player, but doesn't have the size, foot speed or shooting to make it in the NBA. He does well against G-league talent, but his game doesn't translate to the larger and quicker NBA players. I think its good that the Spurs have him on a 2-way to fill in for backup duties when needed. Spurs got their money's worth with Eubanks as a 2-way last season.

ceperez
07-11-2019, 07:19 AM

Weatherspoon, with 4 years under his belt in college, is a more polished player than Keldon Johnson. There could still be a spot in the roster for him if Morris doesn't sign. But, there would be too many guards in the roster. I don't see him cracking the wing roster because there are too many players queued up in front of him:

Murray, White, Mills, Forbes, Walker - That's five players. Not even considering Belinelli, DeRozan and Keldon Johnson, also wings.

He's got to begin playing out of his mind to crack that roster and the only way that happens is he makes ridiculous improvement in the G-league.

Weatherspoon is already behind Walker in the pecking order. This season we add two new wings Murray and Walker that weren't present last year. I just don't see a spot this year.

Mr. Body
07-11-2019, 07:42 AM

Will people quit this shit? Q has never played against actual NBA talent. He couldn't get a shot in two possessions down the stretch, two turnovers instead. I realize Patty is hated on this board but it's not with turning your brain into mush.

Mr. Body
07-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Eubanks is a decent player, but doesn't have the size, foot speed or shooting to make it in the NBA. He does well against G-league talent, but his game doesn't translate to the larger and quicker NBA players. I think its good that the Spurs have him on a 2-way to fill in for backup duties when needed. Spurs got their money's worth with Eubanks as a 2-way last season.

He has the size and athleticism, so you're wrong there. He may be slow, but I don't think you're right there, either. He shows no reason why he can't develop a shot (which I don't think Poeltl can). His problems are elsewhere.

Dejounte
07-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Damn no highlight video for Luka from last night

Nivek_ogre
07-11-2019, 08:15 AM
Forbes?? GTFOH

Give that man the respect he deserves! :deadhorse

duncan2150
07-11-2019, 08:26 AM
I really like what i saw for quindarry, he played in control and has a good BB IQ. Will be a good nba player imo in a few years.

Luka has all the tools, needs to work on his decison making and ball handling, his BH is pretty good but out of control sometimes.

Keldon was not very good but his defense looks great.

Eubanks looks good on offense but i don't like his D, he is often late.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Looks like a great draft by the Spurs. I will definitely watch some G-League games to check out the rookies

Play Boban
07-11-2019, 08:57 AM
The average ST poster has a lower IQ than anyone on the kindergarden short bus tbqh.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Forbes?? GTFOH

:lol :lol

look_at_g_shred
07-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Would Q wear 15 for the big club too? I need his Jersey tbh

SpursDynasty85
07-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Thank you for the grades. I thought it was worth mentioning Becky using the coach's challenge near the end of the game. It turned out to be a crucial mistake as Spurs had to rush up the court with 5 seconds left and essentially a game winning play turned into a disaster after the lost timeout.

Thunder1
07-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Thanx for the grades...looks like the Spurs have 3 very promising rookies to develop...

RC_Drunkford
07-11-2019, 09:39 AM
all 3 rookies need a full season in the G-League. After that Weatherspoon should definitely compete for minutes on the main team

dbestpro
07-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Just remember this. If you put Mills in the summer league and he was playing for a roster spot he would torch everyone on the floor. Just wanted to keep everything in a real perspective.

duncan2150
07-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Just remember this. If you put Mills in the summer league and he was playing for a roster spot he would torch everyone on the floor. Just wanted to keep everything in a real perspective.

that's a really poor statement, mills is nearly 31 and we talk about 19 to 22 years old players. People are not dumb, everybody knows that it still a long way too go for the majority of them.

Mugen
07-11-2019, 10:02 AM
If the Morris thing falls apart as expected, I'd be inclined to give some spot minutes to Keldon throughout the season. Luka should have a permanent place down there but I think Keldon can be an asset with the big club tbh.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Spoon seems to be showing promise. But hasn’t played against an NBA team yet. Pump the brakes. Play Patty less if possible, sure, but maybe those minutes go to White and DJ. Just throwing out crazy ideas.

ZeusWillJudge
07-11-2019, 10:19 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-spurs-summer-league-suns-game-7/

Quinndary Weatherspoon looks like a helluva second round pick. Luka Samanic and his tools also continue to impress.

Why do you think Ben Moore won't take 3P shots? He made a pretty respectable percentage, when he did. Is it just attitude/confidence? Afraid that missed shots will hurt his chances? Because I can't think of anything that would help his chances more than draining some 3's. Do the coaches not tell them things like that?

Dhbsr555
07-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Pump the breaks on q it’s f-in summer league.

Keepin' it real
07-11-2019, 10:59 AM
The average ST poster has a lower IQ than anyone on the kindergarden short bus tbqh.

:cry

duncan2k5
07-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Give that man the respect he deserves! :deadhorse

LMFAO

ceperez
07-11-2019, 11:47 AM
If the Morris thing falls apart as expected, I'd be inclined to give some spot minutes to Keldon throughout the season. Luka should have a permanent place down there but I think Keldon can be an asset with the big club tbh.

This year we got 4 additional players... Murray, Walker, Keldon and Caroll. That's a big upgrade!

Sunmaster14
07-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the grades, timvp!

As Bertans has been traded away, I will probably frequent this place less now, but just wanted to say you are the treasure of this forum and I wish other fanbases had posters of similar knowledge and dedication (Mavericks forums, for one, are so inactive and meek compared to here :D )

poopbox
07-11-2019, 02:07 PM
Will people quit this shit? Q has never played against actual NBA talent. He couldn't get a shot in two possessions down the stretch, two turnovers instead. I realize Patty is hated on this board but it's not with turning your brain into mush.

Do you think if you put Patty Mills in the summer league right now...he could play as well as Q has..

Cause I honestly don't... And I think Q can impact an nba game in favor of the spurs in a more positive way than patty does...

Like...do you really want to compare Q and Patty when it comes to turnovers down the stretch :lol

ZeusWillJudge
07-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Do you think if you put Patty Mills in the summer league right now...he could play as well as Q has..

Cause I honestly don't... And I think Q can impact an nba game in favor of the spurs in a more positive way than patty does...

Like...do you really want to compare Q and Patty when it comes to turnovers down the stretch :lol

I think Q has a better chance of learning to play at the NBA level than Patty does.

Mr. Body
07-11-2019, 02:26 PM

This is legit idiotic. You probably think you could take Matt Bonner one on one, right? You have no clue how a lifetime player like Mills is far, far better than anyone playing in SL right now in terms of skills.

poopbox
07-11-2019, 02:27 PM

I saw mills get torched by to many no name 3rd stringers last year to believe this

Mr. Body
07-11-2019, 02:29 PM
I saw mills get torched by to many no name 3rd stringers last year to believe this

Yes, the guy who played a significant role on a championship team wouldn't easily drop thirty on guys just out of college. Good fucking grief.

ZeusWillJudge
07-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Yes, the guy who played a significant role on a championship team wouldn't easily drop thirty on guys just out of college. Good fucking grief.

Mills shooting the ball is one thing. He has nights when he makes a lot of them.

Mills getting his pocket picked is another thing. Pressure him and he's likely to cough it up - or make a shitty pass that someone has to go get, and leaves them holding the bag.

Mills' problem is that he loses games. And I think Q has a better chance of learning to play at the NBA level than Patty. Still.

DAF86
07-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Bertans :depressed

poopbox
07-11-2019, 02:34 PM
This is legit idiotic. You probably think you could take Matt Bonner one on one, right? You have no clue how a lifetime player like Mills is far, far better than anyone playing in SL right now in terms of skills.

Matt Bonner is a bad comparison...that guy is larger than the average nba player...

Patty is the opposite where he is much smaller than the average nba point guard and significantly smaller than the average nba player...

Like...who do you think would win if Q and Patty played one on one right now?

The only advantage Patty has on Q is the knowledge of how to play at an nba level...and not actually being a better nba player...

Like have you ever seen what nba defenses do when petty is on the court? Or what nba offenses do against patty when he is on the court?

Chinook
07-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Some real dumbasses on here.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2019, 02:44 PM
In general I agree, though I do remember when Antonio Daniels got into an altercation because someone got the better of him in a pickup game in SA once upon a time.

poopbox
07-11-2019, 02:45 PM

That was 5 years ago...

You think that just because a guy was good 5 years ago that automatically makes him good now?

ZeusWillJudge
07-11-2019, 03:00 PM

And just for the record, he played a significant role in three first round exits, too.

But to be fair, there's no way Q will ever carry the culture like Patty. Hell, I doubt he even has a towel.

Ocotillo
07-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Of the three draft picks, I am thinking Keldon gets the most playing time with SA Spurs. Unless something unforeseen shakes out in this standoff between the Knicks and Bullock, Keldon may get playing time due to the thiness of his position and his readiness to play defense.

tdominate21
07-11-2019, 03:33 PM

In order to really contend, we need 3 of those to turn into all-star caliber players AND one of those 3 to turn into a top 10 player. Can it happen? Odds would say no. But this year is going to be really interesting to see if they take the next step:corn:

spurraider21
07-11-2019, 03:33 PM
reading the game thread i thought samanic was the greatest player of all time and then i see he made 3 shots all game :lol

hopefully he tears it up in austin. aldridge and gay aren't getting any younger, so there's going to be a huge void at the 4 in the not so distant future

timvp
07-11-2019, 03:38 PM
1. Mills would average 40+ in summer league.

2. Forbes could easily drop 50 in summer league right now. He could easily drop 35+ two years ago and he wasn't close to as good then as he is now.

3. I don't understand why Spurs fans have to be so weird about Forbes. The guy was the best player on the team in the second half of a Game 7 on the road ... yet Spurs fans laugh when he's listed as a positive asset on the team. Strange, tbh. I guess being a SpursTalk edgelord makes it necessary to hate Forbes -- unless you're including him in trade packages. At that point, Forbes is valuable, according to the edgelord handbook, apparently.

spurraider21
07-11-2019, 03:41 PM

2. Forbes could easily drop 50 in summer league right now. He could easily drop 35+ two years ago and he wasn't close to as good then as he is now.

3. I don't understand why Spurs fans have to be so weird about Forbes. The guy was the best player on the team in the second half of a Game 7 on the road ... yet Spurs fans laugh when he's listed as a positive asset on the team. Strange, tbh. I guess being a SpursTalk edgelord makes it necessary to hate Forbes -- unless you're including him in trade packages. At that point, Forbes is valuable, according to the edgelord handbook, apparently.
i think he's limited, and would prefer more of his minutes (not specific to the game 7, but generally) had gone to white, or even walker. those guys need the minutes to develop. that said, i dont understand the appeal of dealing forbes considering how cheap he is

rjv
07-11-2019, 03:44 PM
Some real dumbasses on here.

well, it is ST, after all.

rjv
07-11-2019, 03:46 PM
I guess being a SpursTalk edgelord makes it necessary to hate Forbes -- unless you're including him in trade packages. At that point, Forbes is valuable, according to the edgelord handbook, apparently.

exstatic
07-11-2019, 03:49 PM

crofl @ edgelord.

Pavlov
07-11-2019, 03:51 PM
i think he's limited, and would prefer more of his minutes (not specific to the game 7, but generally) had gone to white, or even walker. those guys need the minutes to develop. that said, i dont understand the appeal of dealing forbes considering how cheap he isThose guys aren't near Forbes' level when it comes to shooting. I guess it's some kind of chicken and egg thing, but Walker wasn't going to play regardless after missing so much time. White had neither the 3pt shooting percentage nor the volume to replace Forbes.

Mugen
07-11-2019, 04:06 PM
i think he's limited, and would prefer more of his minutes (not specific to the game 7, but generally) had gone to white, or even walker. those guys need the minutes to develop. that said, i dont understand the appeal of dealing forbes considering how cheap he is

Don't bother, apparently you're an edgelord if you think Bryn isn't as good as DJ, White, or Walker and don't want to see Pop overplay him over those guys (Pop would never do such a thing). He's one of the best shooters in NBA history so it doesn't really matter that he provides literally nothing else when he's not hitting shots.

Pavlov
07-11-2019, 04:20 PM
Don't bother, apparently you're an edgelord if you think Bryn isn't as good as DJ, White, or Walker and don't want to see Pop overplay him over those guys (Pop would never do such a thing). He's one of the best shooters in NBA history so it doesn't really matter that he provides literally nothing else when he's not hitting shots.He's a better shooter than any of the players you listed and helped make White better when he played with him. He'll make DJ better when he plays with him. If Walker shoots as well as Forbes from the arc, he can definitely take minutes from him.

Forbes was overplayed last season because of injuries but he's a big reason they got as far as they did.

That's all.

And you can't change that.
That's all.

spurraider21
07-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Those guys aren't near Forbes' level when it comes to shooting. I guess it's some kind of chicken and egg thing, but Walker wasn't going to play regardless after missing so much time. White had neither the 3pt shooting percentage nor the volume to replace Forbes.
you're right that forbes is the best pure shooter of the 3. but thats not the only factor

Pavlov
07-11-2019, 04:44 PM
you're right that forbes is the best pure shooter of the 3. but thats not the only factorWith the rest of the roster out there it is the overriding factor.

High percentage.

High volume.

spurraider21
07-11-2019, 04:50 PM
With the rest of the roster out there it is the overriding factor.

High percentage.

High volume.
he shared the floor with patty more often than white did (not just total minutes, but also as a % share of their respective minutes). i think they could have found a good deal of minutes for either white or walker. those guys have much more room to improve with experience/development than forbes does.

Pavlov
07-11-2019, 04:55 PM
he shared the floor with patty more often than white did (not just total minutes, but also as a % share of their respective minutes). i think they could have found a good deal of minutes for either white or walker. those guys have much more room to improve with experience/development than forbes does.Sure, but Forbes doesn't get to game 7 form without his development.

It's never going to be exactly what you or I want it to be.

phxspurfan
07-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Is Weatherspoon a poor man's D Wade? He has the same body type and scoring ability...

Mugen
07-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Spurs playing another SL game or are they done?

Ice009
07-11-2019, 11:22 PM
Didn't Harlemheat say that he played in a game or two against Cory Joseph years ago and Cory dropped 50 on them? Not sure if that story was true, but if so, that makes me believe just how good these end of the bench players are against lesser than decent NBA competition.

As much as I hate Mills, he used to score a lot when he was the primary offensive weapon for a team like Australia where I think he led the Olympics in scoring one year.