PDA

View Full Version : Did the Warriors steal Jordan Poole from the Spurs in the draft?

D WHITE
07-11-2019, 01:30 PM
The Warriors’ pre-draft intel suggested the Spurs were interested in taking Jordan Poole with the 29th pick. Poole can confirm such whispers. He’d worked out in San Antonio in the weeks leading up to the draft and had been given hints of their strong attraction.

“I was really preparing for 29,” Poole said.

The Clippers, at pick 27, were on the clock. Poole figured his moment was only about 10 minutes away. It actually arrived sooner. His phone buzzed. The Warriors were on the other line. They were taking him at pick 28.

https://theathletic.com/1071453/2019/07/11/jordan-poole-on-landing-with-the-warriors-his-love-of-shooting-and-surviving-the-snowy-winters/

I'm okay with Keldon but I wonder if this is true?

timvp
07-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Interesting.

It's amazing how many teams' draft strategy is to try to figure out who the Spurs want and then draft that guy. Then again, with the success the Spurs have had in the draft, can't really blame them :lol

joeyjfive
07-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Interesting.

It's amazing how many teams' draft strategy is to try to figure out who the Spurs want and then draft that guy. Then again, with the success the Spurs have had in the draft, can't really blame them :lol

It’s annoying but maybe it worked out for us because everyone seems to love Keldon.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2019, 02:03 PM
Interesting.

Happened with Batum.

K...
07-11-2019, 02:04 PM
I don't believe the Spurs have any draft Intel edge now. They know player development and pick players ammenable to it.

If you don't have the player development you don't want the Spurs pick. You want Max athlete it big name.

In a league with high base talent personality and humbleness can be the edge over similarly athletic kids.

Part of me thinks the Spurs would be screwed by high draft picks because they aren't used to it.

Keepin' it real
07-11-2019, 02:08 PM
No / thread

Steve-O-Matic
07-11-2019, 02:12 PM
I highly, HIGHLY doubt that the Spurs would have taken Poole over Keldon Johnson at 29 if both had been on the board at that point. So in that sense, no, I don't believe the Warriors "stole" Poole from the Spurs.

Dejounte
07-11-2019, 02:15 PM
I think the Spurs sent out false signals on purpose

Poole is a small guy with very short wingspan. He would have been incapable to play small forward. Do we really need another guard?

ZeusWillJudge
07-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Interesting.

It's true. And exactly why I rarely believe "inside info" about who the Spurs are going to draft. Anyone who really has that info ought to know that they have to be totally tight-lipped with it.

My question is what in the hell the Spurs were going to do with another 6'5" shooting guard? Keldon Johnson is only about 1.5" taller, but has a significantly bigger frame. I think he's going to match up on a lot of SF's just fine. I understand why Poole would be desirable, but with this roster they would almost have to be planning on trading another guard.

ZeusWillJudge
07-11-2019, 02:19 PM
I highly, HIGHLY doubt that the Spurs would have taken Poole over Keldon Johnson at 29 if both had been on the board at that point. So in that sense, no, I don't believe the Warriors "stole" Poole from the Spurs.

Another good point. They probably didn't expect KJ to be there at 29. It's really hard for me to think that Poole was there guy if Johnson was there.

BacktoBasics
07-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Interesting.

It's amazing how many teams' draft strategy is to try to figure out who the Spurs want and then draft that guy. Then again, with the success the Spurs have had in the draft, can't really blame them :lolI've always believed that the process of development is way more of a factor than the actual player in my eyes. Hard to say which players are the real targets and which ones are the contingency or false flag.

If Kawhi was a Pacer he’d be a 14 and 7 guy looking keep his starting spot.

ironman2886
07-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Keldon was a lottery pick in most NBA scouts’ minds. I remember peeps on twitter getting mad that the Spurs might steal him at #29.

He wasn’t coveted that much if the Spurs could have took him at #19, but waited till #29

pad300
07-11-2019, 02:25 PM
If they did "steal" Poole from us, IMO, good. I like Keldon better as a player and a fit (although I would have been even happier with Claxton).

ceperez
07-11-2019, 02:30 PM
I've always believed that the process of development is way more of a factor than the actual player in my eyes. Hard to say which players are the real targets and which ones are the contingency or false flag.

If Kawhi was a Pacer he’d be a 14 and 7 guy looking keep his starting spot.

Player development is now a big factor. Kawhi wouldn't be a top 5 player. That said, a player also needs talent. In Kawhi's case it's his work ethic and obviously his wingspan and large hands. Kawhi doesn't have an elite vertical, but through player dev he plays in a way that maximizes his length and bulk.

acoelho1
07-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Don't forget the Spurs weren't expecting Keldon to be there at 29 so it's probably safe to say that they would have chosen Keldon over Poole.

poopbox
07-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Would MUCH rather have Keldon...who the spurs never expected to be their anyway...

And weren't they trying to move up...so who even knows if they actually had planned to keep the 29 pick in the first place...

This seems like people knew he worked out for the spurs so ...gasp...he is the spurs guy...

poopbox
07-11-2019, 03:00 PM
It's true. And exactly why I rarely believe "inside info" about who the Spurs are going to draft. Anyone who really has that info ought to know that they have to be totally tight-lipped with it.

My question is what in the hell the Spurs were going to do with another 6'5" shooting guard? Keldon Johnson is only about 1.5" taller, but has a significantly bigger frame. I think he's going to match up on a lot of SF's just fine. I understand why Poole would be desirable, but with this roster they would almost have to be planning on trading another guard.

Well I mean...aren't we actually trying to trade at least Marco now...who is a guard...

And while most logical people probably see Lonnie as a 2...Spurs might see him ass a 3...which would remove him from the guard spot as well...

When we put players in position groups we never stop to think if the spurs put them in the same group...

kobyz
07-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Make sense, spurs looking for a future backcourt partner to White (I've told Spurs seeing IB more as a backup, change of pace type player down the road when all of his hype settled down), Poole I've always seen as a big sleeper, second best shooter in the draft!

sananspursfan21
07-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Mixed guy with a goofy haircut. Fits the mold of some of the more recent picks

phxspurfan
07-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Leave it to the Warriors brass to look at actual successful front offices and just copy their shit. Just one look at Kerr and you can tell he got through school copying answers

cd021
07-11-2019, 05:23 PM
This happened before with Tony Bradley and Utah but it hasn't worked out for them thus far, only 13 NBA games in two seasons. Derrick White turned out to be a great pick and K.J looks like a great one too.

barakz21
07-11-2019, 05:24 PM
Wasn't he the one that acted like a douchebag during the interview? Saying something like he'll do/get them something something?

tonight...you
07-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Leave it to the Warriors brass to look at actual successful front offices and just copy their shit. Just one look at Kerr and you can tell he got through school copying answers
They're "light years ahead" yo.

phxspurfan
07-11-2019, 05:33 PM
Wasn't he the one that acted like a douchebag during the interview? Saying something like he'll do/get them something something?

He said he's gonna bring the drip to the splash brothers. And the reporter just stared blankly and went back to the announcers

barakz21
07-11-2019, 05:36 PM
He said he's gonna bring the drip to the splash brothers. And the reporter just stared blankly and went back to the announcers

YES!!! Thank you. Lol I also just noticed I left out the splash brothers part. Good eyes for catching that. Anyway, with that snippet alone, for some reason he brings to mind Kuzma. Must be me, I dunno

playblair
07-11-2019, 05:42 PM
nick kerr gave warriors the inside scoop on who the spurs were going to take............

phxspurfan
07-11-2019, 05:48 PM
nick kerr gave warriors the inside scoop on who the spurs were going to take............

Other teams have been stealing Spurs pick ideas for years since we got Manu and TP. Now CIA Pop floats fake rumors to lead them off our real picks

TheDoctor
07-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Can you imagine the Spurs throwing snips at Nick to see if that changed something? Most likely fired by now.