PDA

View Full Version : Is Metu the SF we've been looking for?

Light
07-12-2019, 09:02 PM
I see a lot of posters penciling in Metu as the third big next year (if he's still on the team), but weren't the Spurs experimenting with him at the three last season? The only way I see him sticking around is if he's able to transition himself into a wing player. With his frame and athleticism, it'd be great if he could give solid minutes at that position. Sucks to not see him at SL.

K...
07-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Are you looking on the garbage for scraps? Metu is a trade chip now. Maybe he keeps a roster spot in training camp, but he's literally a non nba player at this point

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-12-2019, 09:12 PM
I’m going to wait and see him play again before declaring him toast, but his time is getting short for the Spurs, that’s for sure. It will be interesting to see how he fares against Lyles.

SpursGuy91
07-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Metu has terrible lateral quickness, I'd be surprised if he can even stay in front of tweeners at the NBA level

timvp
07-12-2019, 09:19 PM
Metu at SF is the myth that won't die. He's closer to a C than a SF.

Spurtacular
07-12-2019, 09:20 PM
Freshman OP really classing up the joint.

Chinook
07-12-2019, 09:23 PM
I've seen the Light, but now I'm ready for the darkness once more.

gambit1990
07-12-2019, 09:25 PM
no.

Light
07-12-2019, 09:38 PM
Freshman OP really classing up the joint.

:toast

BatManu20
07-12-2019, 09:41 PM
Metu is not even an NBA talent right now tbh. At any position.

spurraider21
07-12-2019, 09:46 PM
we're still looking for Metu... havent seen him in a while

John B
07-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Has anybody seen his game since last season?

BSfromTX
07-12-2019, 10:17 PM
He was close to promising, but I think the best he could be is a stretch 4. Apparently he’s just not getting better

John B
07-12-2019, 10:22 PM
I mean I like his size and athleticism for SF/PF. I’m really hoping he improved this summer, looking at other people made tremendous stride, Lonnie, Ewwbanks.

ZeusWillJudge
07-12-2019, 10:22 PM
So far this season he's been MIA due to a leg injury. I think comparisons to Kawhi are in order. I mean, other than the part about him being a SF and... you know... good.

TimDunkem
07-12-2019, 10:23 PM
No, idiot.

Blackhaus
07-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Who the hell even knows what his level of talent is at this point. Fuckimg horrible time for him to be injured and not play any summer league.

FireMicoHalili
07-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Why do people keep forcing him into a position he didn’t even play in college or the G-League lmao have you seen him play and handle the rock? You want THAT at arguably the most important position in the NBA?

JADG79
07-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Metu could be waived before end of the season as a player could be a rotation player in Filipinas or China.
He is not even a good g league player.

ceperez
07-13-2019, 09:19 AM
The only thing we do know is that he's still in the team.

monty4329
07-13-2019, 10:56 AM
What? Did you see him play? he can't play any position in the NBA.

Seventyniner
07-13-2019, 12:02 PM

And he's much closer to a DNP than either of those.

GreekSpursfan
07-13-2019, 12:38 PM
How the fuck every single pick we've made the last few years has suffered some kind of injury?

TheGreatYacht
07-13-2019, 02:14 PM
It’s right there with the “Bertans will finally be an NBA player if Pop plays him his natural position, the Small shoulders Forward.” myth

UZER
07-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Why do people keep forcing him into a position he didn’t even play in college or the G-League lmao have you seen him play and handle the rock? You want THAT at arguably the most important position in the NBA?

You've obviously never watched me coach.

:pop:

Truth4sale$
07-13-2019, 03:40 PM
Metu will be battling Trey Lyles, Samanic for 15th spot. He better hope nobody gets a camp invite and outshines him.

SpursDynasty85
07-13-2019, 05:25 PM
Metu will be battling Trey Lyles, Samanic for 15th spot. He better hope nobody gets a camp invite and outshines him.

We traded Bertans to open up spot number 15. Belinelli should be sure to go soon leaving another roster spot open but for the beginning of the season I think you can only suit 12 players for games though.

cutewizard
07-13-2019, 10:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAcPZMhAWyk

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2019, 11:31 PM
To be fair, Duncan played the 3 for like 10 minutes in his rookie season, IIRC.

Coach X
07-14-2019, 05:00 AM
It's a Shame we couldn't watch Chimezie play this summer. It's impossible he hasn't progressed significantly considering his starting point. I believe Spurs want to play him at the 4. He clearly is a PF to me, not a C or a SF at all. There is no doubt he has good physical tools and he just needs to add some weight ala L Walker. He has the correct attitude and he's an intelligent person so there is no reason to doubt he can improve under player development coaching team.

He might be a good rotation player. Capable of rebounding, versatile defender, conscious of his offensive limitations, smart enough to not impede the offense.

There are recent examples of successful progression from rookie year to second year players: Murray, Forbes, White. It Looks like Walker will continue the pattern. Historically, Spurs managed to play at the PF "who's-that-people" like Malik Rose, Matt Bonner, Tonny Massenburg or Dejuan Blair. Not to mention other "invented" players in differente positions. I wouldn't give up on Metu until we see there is no progression during next season.

barakz21
07-14-2019, 07:29 AM
“Posters penciling Metu as the 3rd big”

Which posters do you speak of? The only thing posters have been saying about him is to either cut him, or use him as trade filler.

Atl Spur
07-14-2019, 08:25 AM
I see why you suggest this after reviewing both players combine numbers (siakim); he might just be but only time will tell. The numbers are almost identical.....

CGD
07-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Nah, Metu’s ceiling is a poor poor mans Amare Stoutamire. Face up big, with quick first step, and reliable jump shot to keep D guessing. That’s the type of big that does well now. Of course he has a ways to go, but I think that’s the idea, not SF.

Light
07-14-2019, 09:28 AM
“Posters penciling Metu as the 3rd big”

Which posters do you speak of? The only thing posters have been saying about him is to either cut him, or use him as trade filler.

I agree that's the general sentiment and didn't mean to imply that posters are actively arguing for him to be on the team. I'm referring to the "c depth" and "current roster" type threads where Metu is literally listed as the 3rd big over Eubanks, for some.

BackHome
07-14-2019, 10:25 AM
He is only listed cause he is on the team but pretty much every one is saying cut him since his contract is so low and bring in another big. I think after Morris screwed us we won’t make any changes until maybe buy out time and then will see what happens. But I can almost 100% if Metu is on the team he plays in G League full time this year.

Ocotillo
07-14-2019, 10:41 AM
Looking back now, I am a bit puzzled by how Metu was handled last season. While he did play in Austin some (and underwhelmed) he was up in San Antonio a lot of the season and when he did play, he looked totally lost. Many of us are convinced that Samanic and Johnson will be spending the season in Austin and with that logic, why was Metu not down there the whole season getting PT and learning?

BackHome
07-14-2019, 10:46 AM
The other problem will be in G League as him and Luka play the same position :dramaquee

talkspurs
07-14-2019, 12:08 PM
The other problem will be in G League as him and Luka play the same position :dramaquee

I believe you can only assign 2 players to the gleague at a time. of the three I think most people have playing in the g league (luka, KJ, metu) only two can be assigned at a time.

John B
07-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Metu has all the athleticism to POTENTIALLY cover SF/PF/Small C. I really wished he didn’t hurt his foot and was able to showcase his development in the Summer League. But as somebody mentioned, Spurs have good track records in developing players onto their 2nd year, Murray, White, Forbes and now seems Lonnie will continue the trend. Why not Metu? He needed to get stronger like Lonnie did to slow down PF and still fast enough to closeout 3’s and G’s on pnr. Come on Metu!

tmtcsc
07-14-2019, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately, Metu has not shown much to prove himself as an NBA caliber player. I think his time on the Spurs may be up. Eubanks is a much better player than he is.

Atl Spur
07-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately, Metu has not shown much to prove himself as an NBA caliber player. I think his time on the Spurs may be up. Eubanks is a much better player than he is.

It’s only been 1 year; let’s give it a sec����

exstatic
07-14-2019, 02:27 PM
Metu is absolutely the towel boy we need. No question.

look_at_g_shred
07-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Metu is not nba talent

exstatic
07-14-2019, 03:10 PM
I believe you can only assign 2 players to the gleague at a time. of the three I think most people have playing in the g league (luka, KJ, metu) only two can be assigned at a time.

Your two ways don’t count against that number, so it was just Metu and Walker assigned last year.

exstatic
07-14-2019, 03:14 PM
I see why you suggest this after reviewing both players combine numbers (siakim); he might just be but only time will tell. The numbers are almost identical.....

Combine numbers only tell part of the tale. Siakam played 3 years of D1 ball, and had a red shirt season, so, four years of D1 coaching. Metu had one year.

Seventyniner
07-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Forbes didn't really look like an NBA player early in his career either, so I wouldn't completely throw Metu out yet. But his leash is going to be short, if he doesn't make a big improvement this season he's probably not long for the roster.

exstatic
07-14-2019, 03:24 PM
Forbes didn't really look like an NBA player early in his career either, so I wouldn't completely throw Metu out yet. But his leash is going to be short, if he doesn't make a big improvement this season he's probably not long for the roster.

To make an NBA roster, you need ONE very strong NBA skill, and Bryn has ALWAYS been a deadeye shooter, from day one. That’s what got him a camp invite, that buttery smooth, wet jumper. Metu lacks a goto skill.

talkspurs
07-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Your two ways don’t count against that number, so it was just Metu and Walker assigned last year.

I know that. I was replying to the quote that Metu and Luka play the same position. If you put KJ up there as well then only 2 of the 3 can be in the G league at a time this year. they can rotate but all 3 cant be up there at the same time.

spurraider21
07-14-2019, 04:23 PM
Chimezie Jean-Charles

John B
07-14-2019, 04:52 PM
It’s do-or-die for Metu this year and it’s a position Spurs has dire need. What Spurs had before was the Big 3 who can elevate, inspire young players to work harder. Now we have Demar, Aldridge and Gay.

tmtcsc
07-14-2019, 10:19 PM
To make an NBA roster, you need ONE very strong NBA skill, and Bryn has ALWAYS been a deadeye shooter, from day one. That’s what got him a camp invite, that buttery smooth, wet jumper. Metu lacks a goto skill.

Exactly. Perfectly said and the example I was thinking too. Metu does nothing great and everything average to below average.

Seventyniner
07-15-2019, 12:31 AM

I agree, Metu's hold on an NBA spot is even more tenuous than Forbes's was. I just thought that Forbes didn't belong on an NBA court at the time even with his one A+ skill because everything else was so bad. Props to him for making improvements, and Metu's road is even tougher.

DJR210
07-15-2019, 12:34 AM
Metu is a trade chip now.

Useless trade chip.. he has zero value

slick'81
07-15-2019, 12:38 AM
Metu is doo doo

RC_Drunkford
07-15-2019, 06:35 AM
Problem is Metu is already 22 and it looks like none of his skills translate to the NBA. Hope he proves me wrong this season, maybe he has improved

Atl Spur
07-15-2019, 11:00 AM
It’s his 1st year chicken littles! Let’s see what he does year two because obviously Patfo does think he has an NBA skill.

exstatic
07-15-2019, 11:11 AM
It’s his 1st year chicken littles! Let’s see what he does year two because obviously Patfo does think he has an NBA skill.

NOT his first year. Last year was his first year, and he showed shit at the NBA level.

monty4329
07-15-2019, 11:21 AM
I agree that's the general sentiment and didn't mean to imply that posters are actively arguing for him to be on the team. I'm referring to the "c depth" and "current roster" type threads where Metu is literally listed as the 3rd big over Eubanks, for some.

Metu and Eubanks have absolutely no business seeing an NBA court. The both seem good guys, and fight. But there is no NBA talent there, sorry.

Atl Spur
07-15-2019, 11:43 AM
NOT his first year. Last year was his first year, and he showed shit at the NBA level.

Bro chill out! His first completed year.....happy? Secondly, it takes most athletes a few years to acclimate.

Atl Spur
07-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Some of you same dudes bitch and complain about every prospect only to have to eat crow! Just chill and see what you have before always condemning players.......my fault, that would be to much like right!

exstatic
07-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Some of you same dudes bitch and complain about every prospect only to have to eat crow! Just chill and see what you have before always condemning players.......my fault, that would be to much like right!

I like most of our prospects. Heck, I'm one of the few that likes Poeltl. That being said, Metu is a waste of a roster spot. I probably watched 60-70 games last year, and never saw a hint of NBA talent or game from him. People think that if you can run fast, and jump high, you can be molded into an NBA player, but that's not true. It would be like thinking you can take a player with a 32" vert, and train them up to a 42" vert. It's just not possible, either way.

You have to actually know how to play basketball. Metu seems really clueless.

Dverde
07-15-2019, 12:17 PM
He is the new victory cigar.

Atl Spur
07-15-2019, 12:42 PM
I like most of our prospects. Heck, I'm one of the few that likes Poeltl. That being said, Metu is a waste of a roster spot. I probably watched 60-70 games last year, and never saw a hint of NBA talent or game from him. People think that if you can run fast, and jump high, you can be molded into an NBA player, but that's not true. It would be like thinking you can take a player with a 32" vert, and train them up to a 42" vert. It's just not possible, either way.

So, you are a better talent evaluator than the pro’s? We shall see; book mark this convo. Btw you can increase a persons vert & speed through training; how much varies from case to case.

exstatic
07-15-2019, 02:18 PM
So, you are a better talent evaluator than the pro’s? We shall see; book mark this convo. Btw you can increase a persons vert & speed through training; how much varies from case to case.

Not 10", which is why I used that as an example. Metu's game needs to be increased '10" '. That's why I don't like his odds. I don't think I'm a better talent evaluator than PATFO, it's just that second round picks are a long shot in the best of cases, especially when you get deeper than 40 or 45 on the pick counter. Other than Manu and Blair, even PATFO doesn't have the best record with second rounders. LOTS of busts through the years.

cd021
07-15-2019, 02:46 PM

Forbes was pretty bad up until last season, it takes time sometimes but Metu may not have it if the Spurs find someone better for the 15th spot

Seventyniner
07-15-2019, 03:00 PM

James White!!!!

Atl Spur
07-15-2019, 03:03 PM
Not 10", which is why I used that as an example. Metu's game needs to be increased '10" '. That's why I don't like his odds. I don't think I'm a better talent evaluator than PATFO, it's just that second round picks are a long shot in the best of cases, especially when you get deeper than 40 or 45 on the pick counter. Other than Manu and Blair, even PATFO doesn't have the best record with second rounders. LOTS of busts through the years.

To be fair, I get the point you are trying to make but it’s not true regarding vert improvement just so you know.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2019, 03:03 PM
From what I saw of Metu last season he looked like a gangly, undersized 4-5, who couldn't shoot from outside the lane and could barely shoot inside of it. Considering we haven't seen him play at all this season, I'm not sure how you can say he's an answer to anything other than "How can we fill a roster spot with a live human being?" I'm assuming he's alive.

Atl Spur
07-15-2019, 03:04 PM
Metu May surprise you.....

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2019, 03:08 PM

That would be nice.

Forbes, as an example, surprised me last year by being better than I expected. I expected hot garbage, I got second-day leftovers that weren't horrible. Expected a D- player, and got a solid C-....better on some nights.

Metu was a D- last year by NBA standards, maybe an F in that sustained play like he gave us last year wouldn't ever make him a fixture on an NBA roster. If he can work his way to a C, C- this season that would be awesome. :tu

exstatic
07-15-2019, 03:48 PM
To be fair, I get the point you are trying to make but it’s not true regarding vert improvement just so you know.

You can't improve an athlete's vert 10". That's what I said, 32" to 42". It just can't be done. If you're really lucky genetically, and work really hard. you can maybe bump it up 1"-2".

kaji157
07-15-2019, 03:59 PM
Yeah, it´s either Metu or myself for the last SF spot....

My god..

cjw
07-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Useless trade chip.. he has zero value

Nah, he’s useful...

Useful to make salaries match in a trade and is on an expiring deal, so Spurs could just send cash to other team to break even.

DJR210
07-15-2019, 04:06 PM
Metu has zero future with the team.. Jeff Ledbetter has more of a shot :lol If a roster spot is open for either him or Samanic dear god that would be stupid to go with Metu

I doubt it.. He has hops to block a shot here or there, but I don't see any other pros to his game. He can bulk up but no matter what he's still gonna be limited by his narrow shoulders