PDA

View Full Version : Final Grades and Statistics for 2019 Spurs Summer League

timvp
07-15-2019, 10:31 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/final-spurs-summer-league-stats-grades-2019/

All five of the top prospects played reasonably well. Good, productive run despite the 4-4 record.

Mr. Body
07-15-2019, 10:41 PM
Lonnie is like Kawhi in having tunnel vision with the ball. I'm sure the team can start building his court awareness once he gets his scoring established.

Samanic got better as the leagues went on. You're spot on -- needs better handles, much better strength -- but what he has is really intriguing.

Keldon needs a lot more work than many say. He's invisible and often had no real impact on the game. Those bigger scoring games feel like flukes.

Eubanks I'm high on as far as potential. I love how scrappy he is. Fouls way too much and could stand to develop an outside shot.

Weatherspoon is crafty and skilled for this level. I'm not sure where he projects, but if he can get his 3pt percentage up, I can see a spot for him somewhere.

Robinson just looks done. I'm not even sure he'd be good enough for a post-and-pound era. How'd this guy get picked #5? Sheesh.

Chinook
07-15-2019, 11:02 PM
Walker needs to lock himself in a room with Beli and not come out until he's figured out every vet trick Marco has. He has a legit chance to be an elite off-ball shooter, and he should focus on that more than on play-making for now. He has a real chance to start with a PG, DeRozan and Aldridge, so he's not going to have the ball in his hands a ton. His finishing will be much better if it comes from attacking close-outs, and his athleticism makes it easy to toss in some back-door attempts if defenders try to cut off Walker's movement.

spurs10
07-15-2019, 11:51 PM
Good read. Hopefully Johnson can indeed develop into a NBA 3 & D player. Eubanks did play with some toughness! :toast

ZeusWillJudge
07-16-2019, 01:23 AM
You're really putting up a great bunch of articles. The front page is more than a worthy first stop, with the forum being second tier. Destination Spurs, TBH.

The chart with SL totals was good perspective. Not a lot of big surprises. LW did what he should have done with his experience. Most figured Samanic needed work when he was drafted. KJ showed flashes, but less than consistent - also to be expected. I always like bargain players for value, and Spoon is looking like a great value from this draft - his Per36 numbers are pretty eye-popping. If he can get that 3P% closer to 40%, and cut down on the turnovers, he'll be able to reach out and take some minutes in SA.

I like Eubanks' aggression. Or more, I like him when he's aggressive. And I can't help but like Ben Moore - he's not making this roster, but I really hope he gets a shot somewhere.

Thanks for taking the time to write up all those SL games, and then compile everything at the end.

leo07251413
07-16-2019, 02:01 AM
Thanks for sharing.

It's really great to see Quinn showing potential of becoming a combo guard other than just to be a pure scorer.

Also I really like Drew's performance throughout the summer league, especially on offensive side.
His shooting looked decent, his jump hooks and the way he attacked the rim after receiving passes around the free throw line were impressive.
The one thing that I don't like about him is the flagrant foul that got him ejected (Elbowing), that wasn't very appropriate.
It would be great to have a "Aron Baynes" on the team, but we don't need players like "Zaza" or "Kelly Olynyk".
Hope to see Drew makes it into rotation next season, will definitely root for him.

leo07251413
07-16-2019, 02:09 AM
I like Eubanks' aggression. Or more, I like him when he's aggressive. And I can't help but like Ben Moore - he's not making this roster, but I really hope he gets a shot somewhere.

Ben is just really likable w/ his basketball IQ, but his overall performance throughout the summer league is a bit disappointing,
especially on the lase game, which Ben should be the leader on the court.

I can see why we decided to sign a 2-way contract w/ Quinn but not Ben, really hope that other teams could give him a shot thoough.
If there are no teams would sign him at the moment, hope that Ben could stick with us at Austin and develop more offensive skills.

phxspurfan
07-16-2019, 02:28 AM
Record doesn't mean shit. No injuries is key. Can't wait to see Lonnie in the regular season. Weatherspoon/Keldon/Luka, go to Austin plz. You all are decent but you all need work.

venitian navigator
07-16-2019, 04:02 AM
Walker needs to lock himself in a room with Beli and not come out until he's figured out every vet trick Marco has. He has a legit chance to be an elite off-ball shooter, and he should focus on that more than on play-making for now. He has a real chance to start with a PG, DeRozan and Aldridge, so he's not going to have the ball in his hands a ton. His finishing will be much better if it comes from attacking close-outs, and his athleticism makes it easy to toss in some back-door attempts if defenders try to cut off Walker's movement.

That's the point about his offense...he doesn't move at all without the ball in his hands. In this I completely agree with you that having Belinelli as a teacher could be an incredible value for the team (and maybe the main reason not to trade Belli this season).

CGD
07-16-2019, 04:54 AM
I’d rather the spurs try to flip Marco and sell high on Bryn to thin out the backcourt.

Makes sense to listen on both LMA and DDR, but at this point no need to actively shop in my view.

Hyperhypo
07-16-2019, 05:51 AM
Good read. Luka was a C- for me

hater
07-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Final grade:I

For It still hurts :cry

Mugen
07-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Lonnie was an A.

Only the Bryn Krew would grade him lower tbh.

duncan2150
07-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Good read thanks !

I agree with the Grades, it was a really cool summer league with a lot of prospects. Walker is ready and i hope he gets 15-20 minutes minimum next year, the others johnson samanic showed promises and they will continue their progressions in G league.

One guy i was impressed with is Whaterspoon, i did'nt have many exceptations and he did pretty well, he is more ready than others rookies. With the logjam he will probably not play next year but he looks good.

Pavlov
07-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Lonnie was an A.

Only the Bryn Krew would grade him lower tbh.Jesus, you're obsessed.

John B
07-16-2019, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the grades. Spot on. I’m really happy with the rookies, they did not disappoint. I’m excited with Lonnie’s progression. I’m hoping Pop would give him more minutes as a result. I’m disappointed with Moore, very underwhelming now that I get to see a closer look. We needed that position badly, but he lacks the strength, the decent outside shooting to warrant another look. While I like Eubanks offensive skills, he is still not athletic enough to defend in that position. I don’t know if it’s timing. But he is a hardworker and will root for him to fix his defensive/rebounding flaws. TRob I was hoping to see more because he has the size and athleticism, but nope he’s not an NBA player. My biggest disappointment was Metu. I expected to see what improvements he’s made. And based on excellent Spurs trend on developing 2nd year players, I was expecting a lot. He could be the answer to the athletic big who is quick enough to cover SF, and hopefully strong enough to cover PF. But we’re left to our imagination. I trust the coaching staff to make the correct decision.

In all, only Lonnie addresses Spurs immediate need, for now. But Spurs have a very bright future with the young core. Great stuff.

jjktkk
07-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Jesus, you're obsessed.

No shit. I don't think he's all there.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Thanks Timvp! :tu

I think we have 4 guys that have the potential to contribute to an NBA roster in a meaningful way. Walker, KJ, Samanic and Weatherspoon. A 5th in Eubanks that can be a spot reliever on an NBA roster, similar to his role last year.

Weatherspoon was a very pleasant surprise. He reminded me a little bit of Super Mario...I was impressed. Samanic has a long way to go, but I love the physical tools. Walker and, to a lesser extent KJ, should both be able to contribute this season. I'm hoping we get meaningful minutes out of Walker. You could tell he's physically a lot stronger, and he's certainly more confident. For Walker, the question mark for me is his defense...he just didn't seem as dialed in as I would have expected on that side of the ball.

RC_Drunkford
07-16-2019, 11:56 AM
For Walker, the question mark for me is his defense...he just didn't seem as dialed in as I would have expected on that side of the ball.

give Walker a full season in the rotation and that will be fixed. He has great potential to be a good 1-on-1 defender as well as help defender due to his leaping ability. His weakness on defense is overall positioning and footwork. Pop will fix that once Walker gets consistent minutes

phxspurfan
07-16-2019, 01:02 PM
Thanks Timvp! :tu

I think we have 4 guys that have the potential to contribute to an NBA roster in a meaningful way. Walker, KJ, Samanic and Weatherspoon. A 5th in Eubanks that can be a spot reliever on an NBA roster, similar to his role last year.

Weatherspoon was a very pleasant surprise. He reminded me a little bit of Super Mario...I was impressed. Samanic has a long way to go, but I love the physical tools. Walker and, to a lesser extent KJ, should both be able to contribute this season. I'm hoping we get meaningful minutes out of Walker. You could tell he's physically a lot stronger, and he's certainly more confident. For Walker, the question mark for me is his defense...he just didn't seem as dialed in as I would have expected on that side of the ball.

Don't forget Eubanks. He is already probably replacement level as a backup center

cjw
07-16-2019, 01:03 PM
I’d rather the spurs try to flip Marco and sell high on Bryn to thin out the backcourt.

Makes sense to listen on both LMA and DDR, but at this point no need to actively shop in my view.

No way can you move both guys having already dealt Bertans. But in a way, you need to deal both together as Beli brings back no value, and Forbes’ contract isn’t big enough to trade for much in a trade (175% of his salary plus some change)

Kurgan
07-17-2019, 02:58 AM
Lonnie is like Kawhi in having tunnel vision with the ball. I'm sure the team can start building his court awareness once he gets his scoring established.

Samanic got better as the leagues went on. You're spot on -- needs better handles, much better strength -- but what he has is really intriguing.

Keldon needs a lot more work than many say. He's invisible and often had no real impact on the game. Those bigger scoring games feel like flukes.

Eubanks I'm high on as far as potential. I love how scrappy he is. Fouls way too much and could stand to develop an outside shot.

Weatherspoon is crafty and skilled for this level. I'm not sure where he projects, but if he can get his 3pt percentage up, I can see a spot for him somewhere.

Robinson just looks done. I'm not even sure he'd be good enough for a post-and-pound era. How'd this guy get picked #5? Sheesh.

Mostly agree with this, especially about Keldon. He had the same issue at Kentucky. Would look legit one night but follow it up with three no shows. Consistency is a problem with him. Might have to do with this work ethic. He was also surprisingly unathletic. Closer to Kyle Anderson than to Danny Green I think.

BackHome
07-17-2019, 09:27 AM
Umm no...no one is as slow and Slow Mo - He is what 19 I think most draft picks his age are going to take a year or two before they have any impact on the court. What I liked about him is that he fits well with the team he loves playing D he doesn’t need the rock to score and has legit 3 pointer range.

MoSpur02
07-17-2019, 09:48 AM
Thanks again. I don't remember the last time I was excited about more than one draft pick for the Spurs. They drafted three guys who can potentially be good to very good players. Lonnie Walker has improved a lot. His defense is the only thing that worries me. I'm not sold on Eubanks. As I've stated before, something about his game bothers me. I hope he proves me wrong and can be solid role player this upcoming season.

DPG21920
07-17-2019, 10:03 AM
I felt like Eubanks showed better when he was with the big club than this. His timing for blocks seemed better with real Spurs and so did his instincts on defense.

Still really like him for the third C spot and it’s not worth allocating any resources to that spot while SA has him IMO. He’s more than good enough unless some real value players becomes available that is appreciably better.

Eubanks may be one of those guys, aka role player, that looks much better when surrounded by all nba caliber players and filling a that role vs a premier guy at any level.

exstatic
07-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Thanks again. I don't remember the last time I was excited about more than one draft pick for the Spurs. They drafted three guys who can potentially be good to very good players. Lonnie Walker has improved a lot. His defense is the only thing that worries me. I'm not sold on Eubanks. As I've stated before, something about his game bothers me. I hope he proves me wrong and can be solid role player this upcoming season.

Eubanks is undersized.

timvp
07-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Wow, congrats to Magette. He wasn't a fit for San Antonio's future but he's not a terrible emergency point guard and he's helpful for a G League team.

Mugen
07-17-2019, 07:40 PM
As what? The fucking peanuts vendor? :lol

talkspurs
07-18-2019, 11:20 PM
Why does Moore not shoot more 3s? last year for the G-league he shot 36% on 1.5a game. https://gleague.nba.com/player/ben-moore/ This to me is not bad. I think it is about league avg.

wildbill2u
07-20-2019, 01:42 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/final-spurs-summer-league-stats-grades-2019/

All five of the top prospects played reasonably well. Good, productive run despite the 4-4 record.

They should give up on trying Walker at the PG. Keep him a shooting guard and work on his d to get him playable early. Learning the PG position at the same time is too much. I'm in favor of force feeding Luka at SF with lots of rookie minutes between here and Austin. Practice is nothing like a real game and he needs lots of playing time to get used to NBA level skills of opponents. Once he figures out that there are pretty good defensive players against him, he won't be dribbling into trouble so much.Too bad they held out Murray cause he will need time to get back to game level skills.

RC_Drunkford
07-21-2019, 06:19 AM
They should give up on trying Walker at the PG. Keep him a shooting guard and work on his d to get him playable early. Learning the PG position at the same time is too much. I'm in favor of force feeding Luka at SF with lots of rookie minutes between here and Austin. Practice is nothing like a real game and he needs lots of playing time to get used to NBA level skills of opponents. Once he figures out that there are pretty good defensive players against him, he won't be dribbling into trouble so much.Too bad they held out Murray cause he will need time to get back to game level skills.

they have him handling the ball so he learns how to score coming off of screens. That's why his off the dribble pull up looks so good now

picnroll
07-21-2019, 07:33 AM
they have him handling the ball so he learns how to score coming off of screens. That's why his off the dribble pull up looks so good now

Spurs have four players with high level skills attacking off the dribble in Derozan, Murray, White and Walker. That’s a tremendous burden to put on the other teams ‘s defense on mismatches from screens and ball movement. I cant think of another team with that many 1v1 weapons.

RC_Drunkford
07-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Spurs have four players with high level skills attacking off the dribble in Derozan, Murray, White and Walker. That’s a tremendous burden to put on the other teams ‘s defense on mismatches from screens and ball movement. I cant think of another team with that many 1v1 weapons.

Facts. If Walker breaks out playing Walker and DeRozan together is very intriguing tbh

SAGirl
07-21-2019, 10:58 PM
The kind of game you describe doesn't fit the game he showed in SL (I didn't watch him in the gleague). If anything shooting when spotting up was the least impressive of his skills and not just bc of mediocre percentage, (short sample). It was bc he wanted to shoot off the dribble and get midrange shots.