PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Poetl wants to take a significant step forward

Dejounte
07-16-2019, 11:06 AM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/content/jakob-poeltl-wants-to-prove-to-he-is-ready-to-take-the-next-step

Lmao at those who thinks he'll only be playing 18 mpg next season

Lmao at those who think he'll be coming off the bench

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-16-2019, 11:08 AM
I hope he does well. I like his game.

ragas
07-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Some parts of the interview that are missing in the story of newssanantonio

Pöltl can well imagine signing his next contract in San Antonio. He likes the team-oriented game of the Spurs. The future of the Spurs is bright because there are a lot of talented young players, who will take over more workload in the next seasons.

Dejounte
07-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Some parts of the interview that are missing in the story of newssanantonio

Pöltl can well imagine signing his next contract in San Antonio. He likes the team-oriented game of the Spurs. The future of the Spurs is bright because there are a lot of talented young players, who will take over more workload in the next seasons.

Thanks for sharing!

R. DeMurre
07-16-2019, 11:45 AM
:lol "NBA player hopes to return this season with exact same skill set as last year."

That's a headline you don't see too often.

RC_Drunkford
07-16-2019, 11:47 AM
According to reports Poeltl only took 10 days off. So he's really working on his game, if he keeps that up he will be big next season

Ice009
07-16-2019, 11:49 AM
I'm very happy to hear he's working hard. Hopefully it pays off for him and he takes his game to the next level. That would be awesome.

Spurs da champs
07-16-2019, 11:55 AM
I hope he gets a semblance of a jump shot or at least gains some muscle, he gets pushed around by other big centers a little too easily. He has a very low ceiling so any improvement would be impressive and welcolmed.

TimDunkem
07-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Cool. Stay on the bench.

timvp
07-16-2019, 12:05 PM
Hitting open jumpers would literally double his market value. We'll see, tbh.

Mr. Body
07-16-2019, 12:39 PM
I hope he can be played more than 16 minutes a game.

Dex
07-16-2019, 12:48 PM

My thoughts exactly.

If Poetl can put on some muscle, work on his defensive rebounding, and add some semblance of a jumper out to like 15 feet...he becomes a serious threat in the Spurs system.

phxspurfan
07-16-2019, 12:52 PM
and I want a million dollars. Hope he does, but let's see the proof in the pudding. He better not have his balls shrivel up like they did a bunch of times last year.

If he turns into prime Splitter that would be his ceiling IMO

John B
07-16-2019, 01:45 PM
He needed to put a little lore muscle not to get pushed by bigger bigs, Jokic, Cousins, Town, etc. He needs to make those 9 footers to open Aldridge and help unclog the paint. If he eclipsed his game, he would be a very good young player to boost with the young 3 White/Murray/Lonnie.

Spurs9
07-16-2019, 01:58 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/2ebf5z.jpg

bklynspursfan
07-16-2019, 02:08 PM
and I want a million dollars. Hope he does, but let's see the proof in the pudding. He better not have his balls shrivel up like they did a bunch of times last year.

If he turns into prime Splitter that would be his ceiling IMO

Maybe higher if he could knock down the mid range shot. Or dare I say, the 3 ball.

mookie2001
07-16-2019, 02:37 PM
No shot, no face up game, no post moves, weak finisher. Needs to just catch the ball on offensive rebounds and not try for so many halfassed tips, poor defense rebounder. Pointless reach in fouls on Jokic when drawn into no-mans-land.

It’s a lot to work on.

DAF86
07-16-2019, 02:40 PM
I would be reeeeeally surpised if Poeltl ever develops a jumpshot. His form is as awkward as they come.

8FOR!3
07-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Maybe higher if he could knock down the mid range shot. Or dare I say, the 3 ball.

And Splitter's ceiling would have been higher too but I don't see either of them could have realistically added that to their game. Poeltl's shot looks awkward like someone else said. If he puts on muscle and etc. he can get better at what he's already good at but I'd be pleasantly surprise if he adds new skills to his game. That's why I don't think he has high upside at all, but that doesn't mean he's a bad player.

bklynspursfan
07-16-2019, 03:39 PM
And Splitter's ceiling would have been higher too but I don't see either of them could have realistically added that to their game. Poeltl's shot looks awkward like someone else said. If he puts on muscle and etc. he can get better at what he's already good at but I'd be pleasantly surprise if he adds new skills to his game. That's why I don't think he has high upside at all, but that doesn't mean he's a bad player.

His shot looks better than Splitters (ain't saying much lol)

This little baseline shot he shows some nice touch. (1:33 mark)

https://youtu.be/UcZnjUaTw1w?t=93

TD 21
07-16-2019, 03:54 PM
:lol "NBA player hopes to return this season with exact same skill set as last year."

Exactly.

The reality is, no matter how much they prefer to start 2 bigs, there's no way it can work with Murray re-joining the starting lineup. Murray will help stabilize the defense, which was the main reason Poeltl was starting anyway.

Unless they grow a pair of balls and trade DeRozan for Gordon, Gay is going to have to start, at least until mid season, when they should be able to trade for Marvin Williams.

tbdog
07-16-2019, 04:43 PM
I like bigs who have good hands. At first, when he was awful and benched, his hands were dreadful. But later on he could catch anything and look to pass. Getting a PG means at all.times, he should have a playmaker running the pick with him. Too many times last season Forbes or Mills were the small.

Play Boban
07-16-2019, 04:52 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/content/jakob-poeltl-wants-to-prove-to-he-is-ready-to-take-the-next-step

Lmao at those who thinks he'll only be playing 18 mpg next season

Lmao at those who think he'll be coming off the bench
OP dropping troof bombs :wow

cd021
07-16-2019, 05:01 PM
No shot, no face up game, no post moves, weak finisher. Needs to just catch the ball on offensive rebounds and not try for so many halfassed tips, poor defense rebounder. Pointless reach in fouls on Jokic when drawn into no-mans-land.

It’s a lot to work on.

He shot 71% at the rim, that's remarkably good.

cd021
07-16-2019, 05:02 PM
Still think he back's up Aldridge tbh. Pretty clear that was PATFO's plan with adding Carroll and the attempted addition of Morris.

slick'81
07-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Poodle power and lma the new twin towers

timtonymanu
07-16-2019, 05:11 PM
Just glad Pau isn't in his way anymore.

Play Boban
07-16-2019, 05:21 PM
He shot 71% at the rim, that's remarkably good.
Don’t let facts get in the way of the fake narrative tbh.

acoelho1
07-16-2019, 05:24 PM
We always forget about Poetl with all our other young guys but I like his game a lot and he still has room to grow. If he gets a jumper, look out.

CGD
07-16-2019, 05:52 PM

Especially when the player is due a big pay bump next year.

Scottstarbuck785
07-16-2019, 06:30 PM
A lot can be said for a playmaker on the squad also. With a true full time PG at the helm not PG by committee will help JP A lot.18mpg in his 2nd year in canada he doubled his output and only 5 more mpg. We all know big men in this system always have better 2nd years remember LAs first 2 years here.
First year 5 pts 2 reb. Down
Second year 6pts. 3 reb. Down from the last year in por.
Just last year he got back,to,23 ppg and hes still down boards by 2 a game.
We are crazy deep and if we are healthy I think all that will help with JP and his growth. I see 18-22 mpg for JP
8ppg 7rpg 1 block 2 ast comfort with his jump shot out to 12 would be a win for me.
GO SPURS GO

paperboy77
07-16-2019, 06:36 PM

You ain’t lyin

RC_Drunkford
07-16-2019, 06:59 PM
I hope he makes a leap but only so much that we can lock him up on a good value deal. Would be bad in the long run if he looks like a stud and then gets crazy offers next offseason.

Hyperhypo
07-16-2019, 07:24 PM
He wants to go from scrubadub to a role player or is he aiming to be good? Cant wait to see his hard work pay off.

gambit1990
07-16-2019, 07:28 PM
he'll be better than splitter due to his ability to stay healthy.

Down Under
07-16-2019, 07:52 PM
I don't care about the jump shot, he shouldn't bother. You collapse defenses as a rim runner as much as a stretch big. He should just continue to work on his finishing & passing when help rotates & he'll be a very effective offensive player & an elite defender.

Arcadian
07-16-2019, 07:54 PM
Of course he does. Every NBA player wants to get better every year.

MaNu4Tres
07-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Spurs need him rolling more than anything. He opens up the entire weakside of the floor and open 3's when he does.

Developing a jump shot would be nice, but it should be utilized seldomly in time compressed (shot clock) situations if anything, or if he's trailing above the break in semi-transition.

Ron Swanson
07-16-2019, 09:10 PM

http://d2ws0xxnnorfdo.cloudfront.net/meme/249147

8FOR!3
07-16-2019, 09:32 PM
His shot looks better than Splitters (ain't saying much lol)

This little baseline shot he shows some nice touch. (1:33 mark)

https://youtu.be/UcZnjUaTw1w?t=93

Yeah that looks nice (although it still looks kinda like a super long floater lol,) but you get my point.

SequSpur
07-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Pop is a moron. Who trades the best player in the NBA for this dude and DeRozan? Pop should've been fired.

cutewizard
07-16-2019, 09:59 PM
Its proving time!!!!

ducks
07-16-2019, 11:32 PM
Still think he back's up Aldridge tbh. Pretty clear that was PATFO's plan with adding Carroll and the attempted addition of Morris.

Pop is a moron. Who trades the best player in the NBA for this dude and DeRozan? Pop should've been fired.
He greater then you and taller short bus

DJR210
07-17-2019, 12:13 AM
He needs to add a couple moves to compliment his go to knee to the opponent's quad :tu

ragas
07-17-2019, 12:27 AM
I hope he leaves after this season. When Pop ends his career, the Spurs are done. Most of the fans are always talking about the new big 3 and have no respect for Poeltl’s game. Wake up! There are no „big“ 3. That‘s laughable and disillusional. Walker didn‘t play significant minutes in the NBA. Murray already tear his ACL and averaged 8 points in the season before as a starter. That‘s not impressive. And his jump shot didn‘t look promising in the last preseason. All I saw from him is a guy who didn‘t pass at all. Sure, there‘s a chance he improves, but in that case you can waive goodbye. As soon as the season is over he‘ll be gone. His agent is Rich Paul. You remember?

Poeltl‘s game might not be flashy, but he didn‘t back down in the Playoffs at least. If he is that bad as many posters wrote replace him with Milutinov or another C. I‘m sure that there are some title contenders who would be happy with Poelt‘s skillset.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/platform/amp/2019/7/16/20697018/examining-where-jakob-poeltl-fits-in-the-spurs-future?__twitter_impression=true

Gordy58
07-17-2019, 01:53 AM
I hope he leaves after this season. When Pop ends his career, the Spurs are done. Most of the fans are always talking about the new big 3 and have no respect for Poeltl’s game. Wake up! There are no „big“ 3. That‘s laughable and disillusional. Walker didn‘t play significant minutes in the NBA. Murray already tear his ACL and averaged 8 points in the season before as a starter. That‘s not impressive. And his jump shot didn‘t look promising in the last preseason. All I saw from him is a guy who didn‘t pass at all. Sure, there‘s a chance he improves, but in that case you can waive goodbye. As soon as the season is over he‘ll be gone. His agent is Rich Paul. You remember?

Poeltl‘s game might not be flashy, but he didn‘t back down in the Playoffs at least. If he is that bad as many posters wrote replace him with Milutinov or another C. I‘m sure that there are some title contenders who would be happy with Poelt‘s skillset.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/platform/amp/2019/7/16/20697018/examining-where-jakob-poeltl-fits-in-the-spurs-future?__twitter_impression=true

and you’re somehow a Spurs fan? Lol

ragas
07-17-2019, 02:05 AM
and you’re somehow a Spurs fan? Lol

No. I didn‘t mention that. I‘m going wherever Poeltl is going. I know his flaws and I also know his strengths. It‘s funny how Spurs fans are sure that every other young player than Poeltl will be able to take an immense leap. Is it because he wasn‘t drafted from the Spurs. Fact is, he is one year younger than White and for a young guy who had to learn a new system Poeltl did a pretty good job in his first Spurs season.

cd021
07-17-2019, 02:10 AM
I don't care about the jump shot, he shouldn't bother. You collapse defenses as a rim runner as much as a stretch big. He should just continue to work on his finishing & passing when help rotates & he'll be a very effective offensive player & an elite defender.

This tbh. Vertical spacing from a center is very useful, especially when surrounded by shooters.

I would hope that he can get up to 70% as a freethrow shooter, that is more important than a jumper for him.

Fusternino
07-17-2019, 02:25 AM
I don't think there's any reason Poeltl gets more than what Zubac just got?

Kurgan
07-17-2019, 02:28 AM
It's nice to want things but it's a whole different matter to prove it on the court. What I saw of him this year wasn't too different from what he showed in Toronto. Realistically, it doesn't seem like he has the skills to be much more than a role player at best. A decent defensive big with some nice mobility(aka Splitter) but he won't ever be anything more than that. Luka is already more skilled imo, but he doesn't have an NBA body or the experience yet. I'm much more interested in his potential.

slick'81
07-17-2019, 02:30 AM
I don't think there's any reason Poeltl gets more than what Zubac just got?

Yea 7-9 mil seems reasonable

Down Under
07-17-2019, 05:12 AM
Poeltl is a way better defender than Zubac IMO. It's a matter of what he will be offensively. Is it Gobert? Adams? Drummond?

RC_Drunkford
07-17-2019, 06:33 AM
Already working out with Skip Bayless. He will teach him some post moves :spin

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz_ME87jx2-/?igshid=mltdovcw0py4 (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz_ME87jx2-/?igshid=mltdovcw0py4)

r0drig0lac
07-17-2019, 06:34 AM

#sad

BackHome
07-17-2019, 09:14 AM
I like Poodle I think most posters like his toughness and his rebounding and blocked shots so all in all he is a very good player. You have a few posters who believe the center should play outside and rain down threes. Lol I am old school just give me a guy who can catch the lob and slam dunk and play tough D rebound and set devastating picks and I am good.

I think Poodle will have a great year he was playing great but had Gasol bitching about playing time really messed with his MoJo last season. Hopefully he tells his agent not to be an ASS and decides SA is a good place to stay for a long time.

JuneJive
07-17-2019, 09:16 AM
IMO, he should focus on defense. He's already a very good rim protector and can switch out on the perimeter pretty decently.

He can become an elite defensive center, well suited for the modern NBA.

On the offensive end, focus on the p'n'r game. He's an excellent screener already.
Make the "roll" his primary bucket getting move.

A modernized version of Splitter is a very good player.

J_Paco
07-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Spurs need him rolling more than anything. He opens up the entire weakside of the floor and open 3's when he does.

Developing a jump shot would be nice, but it should be utilized seldomly in time compressed (shot clock) situations if anything, or if he's trailing above the break in semi-transition.

Also, he needs a go - to move in the post. Either a drop step, spin move or even just a consistent over the left shoulder hook shot.

He already possess great touch, a nice "stand still" floater (ala Steven Adams) and finishing ability. He also could bulk up and gain some strength down low.

I think there is still some "potential" to unlock with Poeltl, but he needs to be more consistent and assertive on both sides of the floor.

Also, whether he comes off the bench or starts Poeltl should be getting a good dose of minutes (25 - 30 per night). He is our best young big, so no reason why he should be spending 2/3 of the game on the bench.

Jsmythe
07-17-2019, 01:22 PM
No. I didn‘t mention that. I‘m going wherever Poeltl is going. I know his flaws and I also know his strengths. It‘s funny how Spurs fans are sure that every other young player than Poeltl will be able to take an immense leap. Is it because he wasn‘t drafted from the Spurs. Fact is, he is one year younger than White and for a young guy who had to learn a new system Poeltl did a pretty good job in his first Spurs season.

I haven't underrated Poeltl. In fact, in this thread where we were ranking the potential of all the young players, I had Poeltl at #2 right behind Murray:

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280064&page=2&p=9848400#post9848400

Here are my rankings from that post:

1. Murray
2. Poeltl
3. Samanic
4. White
5. Walker
6. Johnson
7. Weatherspoon
8. Metu

I like that Poeltl sets hard screens, which seems to be a lost art these days. Also, in the past year he's gotten very good at boxing out and grabbing defensive rebounds.

alpha_HaZE
07-19-2019, 01:31 AM
It's silly to rank our young players. So far, Derrick White has played the best basketball followed by Murray and Bryn. If Jakob were able to have a Bryn type of impact offensively while playing solid defence then he would have a superb year!

But the player I am the most excited to see is Dejounte :)!

If he were to have a Derrick type of year or possibly better, then we will be second round team and based on the our opponent, we might make the conf finals :)

Gagnrath
07-24-2019, 07:47 PM
I like bigs who have good hands. At first, when he was awful and benched, his hands were dreadful. But later on he could catch anything and look to pass. Getting a PG means at all.times, he should have a playmaker running the pick with him. Too many times last season Forbes or Mills were the small.

Forbes is actually effective as a pg....The real problem is more a lack of shooting outside of Bryn in the starting lineup tended to cause the whole defense to collapse into the paint if he was driving.

The real issue is that the spurs roster has defense or shooting not defense and shooting in the same players.

BackHome
07-24-2019, 11:30 PM
To reach his true potential he needs to be paired with White and I am talking offense as White is great at finding bigs lobs and back door cuts. One thing I noticed is that he kinda labored when playing heavy minutes I am thinking Timmy is going to put him through his boot camp good luck Poodle just remember what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger :spin