PDA

View Full Version : Luka Samanic And His Passing Ability - Film Room

timvp
07-16-2019, 09:09 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/luka-samanic-passing-videos-film-room/

Luka Samanic struggled at times during summer league but his ability to pass the ball was better than advertised...

Hyperhypo
07-16-2019, 09:25 PM
tbh I wish the had Spurs passed on him

3&D_TBH
07-16-2019, 09:26 PM
Like Becky alluded to in that quote, if he can develop his handle, and rebound and push the ball up the court, opposing team’s bigs will be faced with mismatch city. Wouldn’t that be something!

Mr. Body
07-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Being a good passer depends on being judicious with unleashing them. Of course, Ginobili was author of many balls slung into the stands, but I'd like Luka to stop with the behind the back pass fanciness. Probably a factor of strength and not being able to finish. His overall court sense is pretty strong.

BSfromTX
07-16-2019, 09:52 PM
He does have good vision and the ability to make the passes. He reminds me a bit of Diaw with not quite the creativity, but the desire to setup his teammates

Nivek_ogre
07-16-2019, 09:56 PM
Throw him in the starting lineup. His passing and shooting is needed. Starter in name only sort of like when Milwaukee started thon maker and he only played about 12 minutes a game

Uriel
07-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Damn, so good to see OP back and writing again after years of being in absentia. Only a matter of time until he takes over Michael Wright's job, tbh.

Dejounte
07-16-2019, 10:07 PM
He does have good vision and the ability to make the passes. He reminds me a bit of Diaw with not quite the creativity, but the desire to setup his teammates

A much faster, more agile, more athletic Diaw.

This dude has shown special ability to shoot, pass, and drive. Projects to be a special offensive player, honestly. Only glaring weakness is his lack of awareness/ hand eye coordination for loose balls and careless turnovers.

cutewizard
07-16-2019, 10:13 PM
Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaa aaaaaaannnnnnnnnniiiiicccccccccccccccccccc!

rules!

cutewizard
07-16-2019, 10:14 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/luka-samanic-passing-videos-film-room/

Luka Samanic struggled at times during summer league but his ability to pass the ball was better than advertised...

------------------------------------

Thank you and kudos good Sir!

Keep them coming!

SpursDynasty85
07-16-2019, 10:14 PM
Immedoately when I saw his highlights and even his jumpshot form, looks like Manu. Even more confirmation with the great article you made. You can tell he has passion for the game, I think he just needs to be around the right system to thrive. This will be very fun to watch in the future. He is a future all star like Lonnie!

cutewizard
07-16-2019, 10:20 PM
I wonder if he can develop into a POINT FORWARD type,.....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baBdnA7cui0

Bird is Bird!

And Manu is Manu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yPdHdlhaxg

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2019, 10:31 PM
:tu

Dex
07-16-2019, 10:55 PM
Great article. timvp is raising the bar on the site for sure.

I know Luka has a long ways to go, but there are some flashes of Manu and/or Diaw-esque passing there.

If he can incorporate that on top of his shooting, and learn to function in an NBA defense...this kid is going to be a steal at 19.

Oh, and KJ and QW look pretty damn good too. What a draft.

TheDoctor
07-16-2019, 11:13 PM
Throw him in the starting lineup. His passing and shooting is needed. Starter in name only sort of like when Milwaukee started thon maker and he only played about 12 minutes a game
Not a chance but he does have a lot of upside. He needs to stay focused and things will fall respectively.

ducks
07-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Ducks will write the next article

szkorhetz
07-16-2019, 11:36 PM
I don't know why you guys act surprised. He is European.
We tend te have much better court vision and passing abilities, while being much less of athletic freaks. :D

John B
07-16-2019, 11:45 PM
Thanks Timvp. The kid has got handles and can create. Once he improve his outside shot, it would help even more to suck defense and open his teammates for open shots. He should be better than Splitter. Hopefully he could add 25 muscles to help his defense and overall play.

cutewizard
07-17-2019, 12:54 AM
:bobo

BillMc
07-17-2019, 01:32 AM
0P with some crazy good articles lately. Many thanks. A welcome return.

phxspurfan
07-17-2019, 03:28 AM
Most of those clips seemed pretty opportunistic and off huge defensive lapses that may only happen to this degree in SL/G-League. But he does have some decent speed and dribbles, as well as IQ to see some of those cuts or lead a pass like that (like a lot of Euro players have). But the last clip looked pretty special, the way he hit that sweet spin move, then passed cross court for the open 3 on the wing. Very :lol Today's NBA :lol to pass up an open layup or floater for a three.

slick'81
07-17-2019, 03:34 AM
Itll be fun watching him in austin this season

San Antonio Slayer
07-17-2019, 03:40 AM
oh man, this "passing ability" is the minimum level of every coached youngster in Europe. what else could be brought to the table to justify this draft pick?:spin

Kurgan
07-17-2019, 04:02 AM

He doesn't have the body to play in the NBA yet. Maybe in a year or two. The Euro team he was on should have already had him on a weight program but unfortunately most Euro teams are horrible at player development.

Pop and friends
07-17-2019, 05:09 AM
I think he can be a poor mans Siakam

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-17-2019, 05:34 AM
Good article

I honestly think this is the 1st time I'm looking forward to the G-League. I can't wait to check out their games and see how the young players are working out. Luka has a lot of potential and hopefully he works hard and listens to the coaching staff

RC_Drunkford
07-17-2019, 06:23 AM
thanks for the article TimVP. I think after one year in the G-League Samanic could crack the rotation. He should improve his body, strength, conditioning and 3-point shooting this season

r0drig0lac
07-17-2019, 06:30 AM

it may come to have a near impact, which would be good, but he will never be as good a defender as Siakam imo.

offset formation
07-17-2019, 07:29 AM
tbh I wish the had Spurs passed on him

That's a waaay too early take, tbh.

Let Pop and the coaches get after him to toughen him up. Let him get in the gym. And let him get around his teammates and learn the Spurs ways.

And let him get out of his teens.

You realize most people don't reach their peak until they are like 26-28, and then maintain that until their early 30s? He could have 6 or 7 years of growth before he even maxes out skillwise.

Namundy
07-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Great read and nice clips.

acoelho1
07-17-2019, 08:02 AM
Got to give RC some credit with restocking this team with some talented young players. In terms of Luka, once the game slows down for him, he's going to be a handful for opposing bigs to deal with on the open court and the perimeter. That's one advantage of the Spurs program has over a lot of teams is their development program so I expect Luka to reach his full potential although not sure what that is yet.

MoSpur02
07-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Damn that was a good read LJ. Thanks for posting. He reminds me of Manu. Just bigger. Obviously Manu is a lot to live up to and I'm not saying he is the next Manu, but his court awareness, his somewhat reckless, but somewhat under control style of play, and fearlessness reminds me of #20.

duncan2k5
07-17-2019, 09:02 AM
A much faster, more agile, more athletic Diaw.

This dude has shown special ability to shoot, pass, and drive. Projects to be a special offensive player, honestly. Only glaring weakness is his lack of awareness/ hand eye coordination for loose balls and careless turnovers.

And desire... He doesn't seem to behave like an Alpha when on the court... He disappears a lot

JuneJive
07-17-2019, 09:25 AM
His moodiness is what is worrisome.

Hopefully it's just his young age.

Passing wise, yeah, good thing is he's got the court vision. But, i'm kinda not having that as something special. He's an Euro. It's in his blood.

BackHome
07-17-2019, 09:44 AM
Him and Keldon seem to be hitting it off and Keldon is always joking and having fun hopefully that rubs off on him and he make that leap to be the player we think he can be. One thing that I like is that our draft picks are matching to team needs for young guys I like White, Murray, Keldon, Luka, and Poodle that should be a great defensive team for sure.

LASToog36
07-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Is he going to be a draft and stash??

Pavlov
07-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Is he going to be a draft and stash??Is this a parody account of some sort?

exstatic
07-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Is this a parody account of some sort?

I was just thinking 'moron', but sure, we can go with parody account.

drpill
07-17-2019, 10:19 AM
Great article. Samanic's passing immediately jumped out at me on highlight films after he was drafted. Nice to see that translating immediately on the court for Austin. I'm very excited to see what he will bring to this team long term. Samanic, Lonnie, Murray, White, Poetl, KJ... whew! All of these guys have shown enough already to be excited about their potential. I can't imagine any fewer than two or three of these guys becoming borderline stars or better, and the rest are shaping up to be high quality role players. Future looks bright!

picnroll
07-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Great article, my favorite to date. You should write more player breakdowns, both positive and negative. You should also think about doing a Spurs podcast, maybe with guests, trhere’s no decent one.

Dejounte
07-17-2019, 11:57 AM
And desire... He doesn't seem to behave like an Alpha when on the court... He disappears a lot

I dont know how you can try to be an alpha when Lonnie's hogging the ball 98% of the time when he's on the court.

kobyz
07-17-2019, 11:59 AM
am i the only one that see a Tom Gugliotta clone?

exstatic
07-17-2019, 12:12 PM

You mean like Kawhi against the Clips in 2015 or OKC in 2016?

duncan2k5
07-17-2019, 01:23 PM
You mean like Kawhi against the Clips in 2015 or OKC in 2016?

Pops coaching and LMA's complete disappearance after the first couple games is what lost those series... The first year Kawhi was allowed to be the Alpha over LMA, he was destroying the greatest regular season team ever assembled, single-handedly

wildbill2u
07-17-2019, 01:47 PM
The kid has so many tools and size and speed at 19, I think he can be a star in the league with some development. The other two draftees look good in Summer League, but I don't see any "Star" potential and high ceiling there.

Would love to see Manu coach him on handle, passing and Euro Step. I see a lot of that "let it all hang out" attitude in Luka.

exstatic
07-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Pops coaching and LMA's complete disappearance after the first couple games is what lost those series... The first year Kawhi was allowed to be the Alpha over LMA, he was destroying the greatest regular season team ever assembled, single-handedly

Nephew was handed the ball in the 2014 Finals, and it was never taken from him. LMA wasn't even a Spur until the summer AFTER the Clippers melt down.

duncan2k5
07-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Nephew was handed the ball in the 2014 Finals, and it was never taken from him. LMA wasn't even a Spur until the summer AFTER the Clippers melt down.

No Kawhi wasn't given the ball in the 2014 finals... He took it... The first several games he was the 4th option until he started to go nuts in the following games...

Secondly, no SHIT LMA wasn't a spur... Which is why I separated the two... Coaching cost us the series VS the clippers because Pop couldn't figure out how to defend the Blake Griffin CP3 pick and roll... Kawhi was guarding neither... That was the killer for us...

And when LMA came, HE was the focal point of our offense until 2017,when Kawhi took over... LMA completely fell off a cliff after his first couple great games VS OKC... dude had some incredibly bad games, and OKC was destroying us on the boards... Both LMA and David west were getting plunked by OKC and their big guys, and Pop didn't adjust

koriwhat
07-17-2019, 03:22 PM
Damn, so good to see OP back and writing again after years of being in absentia. Only a matter of time until he takes over Michael Wright's job, tbh.

benefactor
07-17-2019, 03:26 PM
He's 19, stupid.

acoelho1
07-17-2019, 03:30 PM
No Kawhi wasn't given the ball in the 2014 finals... He took it... The first several games he was the 4th option until he started to go nuts in the following games...

Pop had to get on his case to do more and that’s when he was more aggressive but nice try on twisting the facts. Go be a clipper fan. Nobody cares for your takes.

TD 21
07-17-2019, 03:34 PM

duncan2k5
07-17-2019, 03:36 PM
He's 19, stupid.

Have u not ever seen other 19 year olds with an aggressive mentality? How long have you been watching basketball?

duncan2k5
07-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Pop had to get on his case to do more and that’s when he was more aggressive but nice try on twisting the facts. Go be a clipper fan. Nobody cares for your takes.

How is what u said different from what I said? You southerners really are low IQ

picnroll
07-17-2019, 03:43 PM
No matter a thread’s topic is there anything duncan2k5 knows what to say except to suck on nephews eggplant?

acoelho1
07-17-2019, 03:52 PM
How is what u said different from what I said? You southerners really are low IQ

Your statement was implying that Pop was making KL the 4 option when in fact he wasn’t playing well and Pop had to get on his ass. That’s the difference but I know reading comprehension is an issue for you.

duncan2k5
07-17-2019, 03:54 PM
No matter a thread’s topic is there anything duncan2k5 knows what to say except to suck on nephews eggplant?

And ur stalking my every move... So what does that make you? Hmmm.....

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-17-2019, 03:56 PM

Technically the US Virgin islands are further south than the contiguous 48, so I think that actually makes you the southerner....

Oh, wait, I get it. Self-deprecating joke...nice! :tu

duncan2k5
07-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Your statement was implying that Pop was making KL the 4 option when in fact he wasn’t playing well and Pop had to get on his ass. That’s the difference but I know reading comprehension is an issue for you.

Huh?? Bro... Kawhi was the 4th option that entire playoff run... I never said pop MADE him the 4th option... He just was... Nobody will back me up on this, but everyone knows it's true... He played his normal role in the first couple finals games, then the guy just went off... He didn't go off because pop gave him the ball more... Pop gave him the ball more because he went off

duncan2k5
07-17-2019, 04:00 PM
Technically the US Virgin islands are further south than the contiguous 48, so I think that actually makes you the southerner....

Oh, wait, I get it. Self-deprecating joke...nice! :tu

Only a real southerner would think that people from the virgin Islands are called southerners... Lmfao... No wonder yall lost the war

DJR210
07-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Damn good article!

Tbh, after reading this article I can't help but feel excited for Luka, even if it's basically a draft and stash pick that will be developed state side.. Instead of thinking of him as a Davis Bertans type player, pointing out his ability to rebound and bring the ball up the court plus serve as an offensive hub has me thinking his potential is more along the lines of a Nikola Jokic type player.. with more ability to drive to the basket at that :tu

picnroll
07-17-2019, 04:23 PM
And ur stalking my every move... So what does that make you? Hmmm.....
Makes me tired of the shit you constantly post. Try to stay on topic with the thread d-bag.

Down Under
07-17-2019, 05:50 PM
Looks like he has good instincts, not necessarily flashy passes, but when to make the right pass. It's a pretty important thing. All the tools are there, he's just got to put it together.

Down Under
07-17-2019, 05:54 PM
You won't see Bertans cross anyone up at any level.

XDT76
07-17-2019, 07:46 PM
Damn good article!

Tbh, after reading this article I can't help but feel excited for Luka, even if it's basically a draft and stash pick that will be developed state side.. Instead of thinking of him as a Davis Bertans type player, pointing out his ability to rebound and bring the ball up the court plus serve as an offensive hub has me thinking his potential is more along the lines of a Nikola Jokic type player.. with more ability to drive to the basket at that :tu

If he can get it all together, hope that he will resemble a young "Suns" Boris Diaw with better 3 ptrs.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Only a real southerner would think that people from the virgin Islands are called southerners... Lmfao... No wonder yall lost the war

Ouch...nice zinger!! You should rap battle!! :lol

Let's try a new game...when someone posts a great article about Luka Samanic and his passing skills, don't turn it into another platform to tell us how great Kawhi is, or how awful PATFO is, or what terrible players Demar DeRozan or LaMarcus Aldridge are. Sadly, we all know your agenda/motive for living/hang ups already. You could have posted it once, instead of 3,000 times. Point made...move on. Save us all, for the love of God.

Chinook
07-17-2019, 10:46 PM

:lol can't even vote and trying to talk regional smack.

kw780101
07-18-2019, 02:19 AM
Huh?? Bro... Kawhi was the 4th option that entire playoff run... I never said pop MADE him the 4th option... He just was... Nobody will back me up on this, but everyone knows it's true... He played his normal role in the first couple finals games, then the guy just went off... He didn't go off because pop gave him the ball more... Pop gave him the ball more because he went off
Nope, you're wrong. He sucked the first couple games and Pop told him to stop fucking around. Then he started playing better within the system. You're talking like he turned super saiyan or something. Please take No.2's dick out of your mouth because you sound retarded.

duncan2k5
07-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Makes me tired of the shit you constantly post. Try to stay on topic with the thread d-bag.

Stay on topic? Tell that to the asshole I was responding to you dumbfuck

duncan2k5
07-18-2019, 06:21 AM
Ouch...nice zinger!! You should rap battle!! :lol

Let's try a new game...when someone posts a great article about Luka Samanic and his passing skills, don't turn it into another platform to tell us how great Kawhi is, or how awful PATFO is, or what terrible players Demar DeRozan or LaMarcus Aldridge are. Sadly, we all know your agenda/motive for living/hang ups already. You could have posted it once, instead of 3,000 times. Point made...move on. Save us all, for the love of God.

U guys are so blinded u don't even realize I was RESPONDING TO SOMEONE... So clearly it wasn't me who changed the topic... Can u get that through your brain? Or does it not count when other ppl go off topic? Ur bias is showing

duncan2k5
07-18-2019, 06:33 AM
Nope, you're wrong. He sucked the first couple games and Pop told him to stop fucking around. Then he started playing better within the system. You're talking like he turned super saiyan or something. Please take No.2's dick out of your mouth because you sound retarded.
Now ur changing what u said... U were claiming Pop gave him the ball, so then Kawhi played better... That's simply not true... Kawhi played better, THUS he got his number called... Kawhi was the 4th leading scorer on the team for the playoffs... Pop wouldn't for no reason give him the ball to be the 4th option... No one expected it out of Kawhi... But after game 3 where he hit 29ppg on almost 80%, that's when he started having his number called... And he shot almost 70% the rest of the way with great defense and rebounding... No one is saying he played like a God... But he played good enough to win MVP

Atl Spur
07-18-2019, 07:33 AM
Luka will be nice with seasoning; a little time is necessary.

cutewizard
07-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Damn good article!

:bobo

cutewizard
07-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Ramon Fernandez of the NBA