PDA

View Full Version : The disrespect of Duncan

Collins21
07-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Today Cris Carter says if Kawhi wins a title next year with the Clippers then we have to start questioning if he's better than Duncan or Kobe. Is this dude back on the pipe???

lmbebo
07-18-2019, 11:16 AM
He benefits from Kwahi doing well.

RD2191
07-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Carter is a fucking idiot. Kawhi could possibly surpass Kobe but Duncan? Come on man.

Mr. Body
07-18-2019, 11:30 AM
He's on the payroll, dude.

BillMc
07-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Carter is a fucking idiot. Kawhi could possibly surpass Kobe but Duncan? Come on man.

This.

Kobe is slightly overrated and Kawhi the flavor of the month. Neither can match prime Duncan both in terms of on the court, and being the bedrock of the franchise.

TheCerebral1
07-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Cris Carter, didn't play the sport and honestly has track record for anything more than mindless speculation.

John B
07-18-2019, 11:49 AM
19 years straight playoffs and 5 rings, nuff said

KayBee
07-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Cris Carter: All he does is catch touchdowns, er, spew bulls*it.

Dennis the Menace
07-18-2019, 11:54 AM
He's on the payroll, dude.

RD2191
07-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Duncan would have 10+ rings had he joined super teams like today's soft ass stars.

MultiTroll
07-18-2019, 12:29 PM
:lmao Just take these modern sports media for what they are.

btw Kwa has already surpassed Kobme and neither are anywhere close to Duncan.

timvp
07-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Today Cris Carter says if Kawhi wins a title next year with the Clippers then we have to start questioning if he's better than Duncan or Kobe.

People scoffed at me when I said this would become the narrative. Neph wins another ring and the narrative will have him top ten all-time, tbh.

Collins21
07-18-2019, 01:02 PM
People scoffed at me when I said this would become the narrative. Neph wins another ring and the narrative will have him top ten all-time, tbh.

I never thought it would it happen I thought people had more common sense but I guess I was wrong.

widowmaker
07-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Michael Irving is better than chris carter.

Phenomanul
07-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Duncan was a beast on both ends of the court right 'out of the gate'. He never shrunk in the playoffs. Never had an Andre Roberson or Matt Barnes caliber player shut him down (or at worst nullify his impact). Carter is pushing historical revisionism at its worst.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-18-2019, 05:46 PM

How about Kawhi as top 25?

Hyperhypo
07-18-2019, 05:53 PM
He got people talking about his comments. It's just the media

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2019, 06:04 PM
This.

Kobe is slightly overrated and Kawhi the flavor of the month. Neither can match prime Duncan both in terms of on the court, and being the bedrock of the franchise.

Nobody in the history of basketball can match Duncan as the bedrock of a franchise. As a player he's top 5, top 7 at worst. But neither Jordan, nor Kobe, nor Kareem or anybody else gave a franchise 19 straight 50 win seasons

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2019, 06:05 PM
You could tell Kawhi was dealing with some leg pain in this last playoffs, even with taking a third of the regular season off. If he doesn't win another title in the next year or two, I doubt he ever will. His wheels will come off fast, which is why I was surprised to see him sign just a 3 year deal. He's in the midst of his fame right now, and people have short-term memories when it comes to greatness sometimes. I mean, LeBron is great, but he's no MJ, and people actually debate their respective places in basketball history.

Plus, the sheep migrate towards the next hot item, and then they tend to migrate away in droves, just as fast. His fame was ramped up by the Raptors run, but it could all be forgotten with an underwhelming Clipper season, or an injury, or maybe even by being outplayed by Paul George.

TD 21
07-18-2019, 06:06 PM
Duncan would have 10+ rings had he joined super teams like today's soft ass stars.

Imagine if Olajuwon went to the Bulls in the 90s, or Duncan to the Lakers in the early 00s, or Bryant to the Spurs in the mid 00s, etc. They too could have piled up a bunch of meaningless rings.

These divas today are creating scenarios that otherwise wouldn't exist. Take scumbag, for example. If him and his sleazebag uncle don't tank his value to such an extreme degree, the senile front office doesn't even contemplate making the trade they ultimately made, in which case the '18-'19 Raptors never exist in the iteration they did and he doesn't win the championship.

Instead, they created the scenario, the Warriors injuries did the rest and now it's been decided that he's on course to be a short list all-timer because the masses only care about the results and not how the sausage was made.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2019, 06:09 PM

apalisoc_9
07-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Kawhi winning another tittle as a FMVP puts him above durabetas, and curry of the world, but its hard to put himover Duncan and Kobe.

Kobe and Duncans sheeer volume contribution alone puts them over Kawhi, they also have won more championships.

Duncans 4th and 5th > Kawhis first
Kawhis 2nd and 3rd = TDs 99, 05, 03 run

Same thing with kobe.

But the narrative will have hil at top 10 if he wins with the clippers though

TD 21
07-18-2019, 06:15 PM
If he would have stayed a Spur, they'd be contending for titles. Their roster was only in need of a couple of tweaks and it was just as strong, or stronger, than the Raps.

And whatever titles he did win as a Spur, while it was his team (despite the media's now second revisionst history, now pretending the '14 Spurs were his team, when before they preteded it was Pop's), would have been far more meaningful than the one he just won or whatever one(s) he might win in the future.

Not because I'm a Spurs fan, but because they would have been organic.

To me, no matter what they do, the likes of Durant and him have disqualified themselves from ever so much as being mentioned in the same breathe as Duncan. They forfeited that possibility by doing what they did.

exstatic
07-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Kawhi is 28 YO, has only 8250 points in 8 seasons, an amount that Tony Parker exceeded in one less season, and his leg is about to fall off. There is no way he's going to be an all time great. I'd question, long term, if his legacy will be better than Parker's.

ZeusWillJudge
07-18-2019, 06:40 PM
The NBA has been slobbering to crown the "Next Michael Jordan" since Jordan retired. Kawhi is just the latest in a long line. If he wins a third ship this season, they'll have their narrative. If he gets hurt again, they'll pretend like they never heard of him.

Joseph Kony
07-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Tim Duncan was an all-star/1st teamer since the moment he entered the NBA and was winning rings and FMVPs in his 2nd year. Kawhi can't even wipe his own ass without uncle's permission in year 8. Not even comparable. Who tf cares when some retired football clown says about Timmy. dude's clearly brain damaged tbh

BillMc
07-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Nobody in the history of basketball can match Duncan as the bedrock of a franchise. As a player he's top 5, top 7 at worst. But neither Jordan, nor Kobe, nor Kareem or anybody else gave a franchise 19 straight 50 win seasons

100 PERCENT. Spot on, bro. :bobo

Seventyniner
07-19-2019, 12:16 PM
You could tell Kawhi was dealing with some leg pain in this last playoffs, even with taking a third of the regular season off. If he doesn't win another title in the next year or two, I doubt he ever will. His wheels will come off fast, which is why I was surprised to see him sign just a 3 year deal. He's in the midst of his fame right now, and people have short-term memories when it comes to greatness sometimes. I mean, LeBron is great, but he's no MJ, and people actually debate their respective places in basketball history.

The general consensus is that he did this because 2021 is the earliest that he can get a bigger max as a 10-year vet. This could help the Spurs, because 2021 is a huge year for free agents and the Spurs could snap up one or two big names while some other teams wait on Number Two to make his decision.

It could also be a calculated gamble, where Number Two hopefully puts in two more seasons of load management and signs a 5-year max right before his leg falls off. If he signed a 4-year deal he could start to break down in year 3, screwing up the long term. Then again, with how much money Uncle Dennis left on the table, I don't think I can credit him with being that smart.

DMC
07-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Flavor of the month. If KD wasn't injured KL is light one.

jehawk81
07-19-2019, 01:41 PM

^^^
True story right here

MultiTroll
07-19-2019, 01:44 PM
Flavor of the month.
If KL wasn't Zaza'd, Kevina is light 2.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-19-2019, 02:44 PM
if skip heard this he’d plotz

KimmyGib
07-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Kawhi wasn't even very impressive in the finals. Now suddenly he's the best player in the league and part of goat conversations?

Spurtacular
07-19-2019, 08:19 PM
Poetic justice: Kawhi suffers a real career-ending injury on his shortened contract.

Kawhitstorm
07-19-2019, 09:58 PM

He literally played with two HOFers (Evita/Enrique) for the majority of his career along w/ prime (not peak) Robinson early in his career :lol

Ron Swanson
07-19-2019, 10:01 PM
I thought Carter kicked his drug habit. Guess not.

Hyperhypo
07-19-2019, 10:42 PM
If Duncan played on LA or NY and did what he did in San Antonio everyone would say he is the best ever

Thomas82
07-19-2019, 10:47 PM
If Duncan played on LA or NY and did what he did in San Antonio everyone would say he is the best ever

Cosign!!

james evans
07-19-2019, 11:04 PM
I agree. But instead he played under a coach that basically cut his stats to prolong his career in that he kept the playoff steak alive and lost a lot of playoff series that we should have won.

PHComassetto
07-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Poetic justice: Kawhi suffers a real career-ending injury on his shortened contract.

Won't deny THAT would put a big smile on my face...

Spurtacular
07-21-2019, 12:11 PM
[FONT=Verdana]

Won't deny THAT would put a big smile on my face...

It sounds good on paper, and it would be just desserts for that rat. I guess I'm not actively rooting for it, though.

spurraider21
07-21-2019, 04:22 PM
neither did duncan

apalisoc_9
07-21-2019, 05:58 PM
After kawhi wins his third this year, about 90% of millenials will rate Kawhi over TD. And in 10 years these millienials would be your average espn writers and commentators

Cane
07-22-2019, 07:06 AM
After kawhi wins his third this year, about 90% of millenials will rate Kawhi over TD. And in 10 years these millienials would be your average espn writers and commentators

Say what? Millennials grew up watching Duncan, ain't no way in hell they're going to rank a cornrowed clown over him
:bobo

Phenomanul
07-22-2019, 09:00 AM
He literally played with two HOFers (Evita/Enrique) for the majority of his career along w/ prime (not peak) Robinson early in his career :lol

Ummmm… I don't think you understand the concept of "super teams". The Spurs drafted both Tony and Manu and the end of the 1st Round and 2nd Round of their respective drafts. They were developed in SA. The Spurs' GMs didn't look at the MVP ballot list and sign 2-3 players from said list to run with TD. That's essentially what the Warriors did in signing KD to a team that already included an MVP caliber player (Curry) and two other all-stars (Klay, Draymond).

Kawhitstorm
07-22-2019, 09:08 PM
Ummmm… I don't think you understand the concept of "super teams". The Spurs drafted both Tony and Manu and the end of the 1st Round and 2nd Round of their respective drafts. They were developed in SA. The Spurs' GMs didn't look at the MVP ballot list and sign 2-3 players from said list to run with TD. That's essentially what the Warriors did in signing KD to a team that already included an MVP caliber player (Curry) and two other all-stars (Klay, Draymond).

At the end of the day, a "super team" is based on the collection of high-end talent. It's dumb to claim that Evita/Enrique signing as free-agents would have made the team a "super team" when they were called the "Big 3" for a reason.

Curry plays on a "super team" just like Bird & Magic. How the talent got there has nothing to do with the product on the court.

BTW, Tim damn near left the team to form a "super team" in Orlando.:lol

Dingle Barry
07-22-2019, 10:05 PM
His parents didn't even know how to spell Chris. He never had much of a chance in the brains department.

Dingle Barry
07-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Say what? Millennials grew up watching Duncan, ain't no way in hell they're going to rank a cornrowed clown over him
:bobo

Yet another reminder of why I have this apalisuck faggot on ignore.

venitian navigator
07-23-2019, 02:38 AM
At the end of the day, a "super team" is based on the collection of high-end talent. It's dumb to claim that Evita/Enrique signing as free-agents would have made the team a "super team" when they were called the "Big 3" for a reason.

Curry plays on a "super team" just like Bird & Magic. How the talent got there has nothing to do with the product on the court.

BTW, Tim damn near left the team to form a "super team" in Orlando.:lol

The term "super team" is from the Heat days when the team was made just by player's decisions to form a unit of all stars with a nba championship goal...in that sense the first super team was LBJ/Wade/Bosh plus someone else...aka three of the top players that decided to form by themselves what was at the time the best team in nba.
Before that, all teams were made by the team, not the single players...and also the big teams of the '80 (Lakers and Celtics) were made by a coincidence of good draft picks and trades or free agents commitments to the teams (and not agreements made by players)...with big markets having big benefits by being big markets and exploiting, via absurd trades, some stupidity from inexperienced owners of small markets teams (see the "famous" Steptien Rule)...
In this sense the Spurs have been unique...'cause they achieved tremendous goals just by (some lucky) draft, scouting and internal development...