PDA

View Full Version : U.S. House passes bill to raise federal minimum wage to $15 an hour

boutons_deux
07-18-2019, 01:12 PM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-minimum-wage/house-passes-bill-to-raise-federal-minimum-wage-to-15-an-hour-idUSKCN1UD2DV

McConnell will kill it, probably not even allow a vote

boutons_deux
07-18-2019, 01:22 PM
hmm, somewhat adjusted for inflation, but not for regional CoL, so typically stupid from fucked-up Congress

The House just passed a $15 minimum wage. It would be the first increase in a decade.
The Raise the Wage Act would also tie future increases to changes in middle-class pay.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/18/20697509/minimum-wage-bill-raise-the-wage-act (https://www.vox.com/2019/7/18/20697509/minimum-wage-bill-raise-the-wage-act)

Chucho
07-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Boutons, real questio; what do you do for a living?

Millennial_Messiah
07-18-2019, 08:41 PM
Stupid, dumb, dumb, dumb to not even do it on a federal level. Rural areas will be crushed. No point of even doing any kind of business, everyone would revert back to subsistence agriculture and everything else would be a luxury item. Get ready for the "everyday low prices" at Walmart to be a thing of the past.

DMX7
07-18-2019, 08:42 PM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-minimum-wage/house-passes-bill-to-raise-federal-minimum-wage-to-15-an-hour-idUSKCN1UD2DV

It's DOA -- there's no "probably" about it. They should have at least tried to pass something more reasonable to put a tiny bit of pressure on the senate. Something more like $12 per hour.

Will Hunting
07-18-2019, 08:43 PM
Stupid, dumb, dumb, dumb to not even do it on a federal level. Rural areas will be crushed. No point of even doing any kind of business, everyone would revert back to subsistence agriculture and everything else would be a luxury item. Get ready for the "everyday low prices" at Walmart to be a thing of the past.
Works for me, I fucking hate Walmart and don’t go near the place.

Chris
07-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Would destroy our economy. 3.7 million jobs would be lost. Also a $9 billion drop in real income.

Millennial_Messiah
07-18-2019, 09:23 PM
Why? I don't get it. I don't get the stuck up preppy whites that would rather pay 50% extra for the same fucking food at Tom Thumb or one of those overpriced places :lol

spurraider21
07-18-2019, 09:26 PM
bad bill imo. needs to be region specific. though i would be ok with a federal bill that indexes all minimum wages to inflation

and dumb politics. its basically large-scale grandstanding passing a bill they KNOW is doa in the senate, and even if 2/3 of the senate has a stroke and it passes, will get struck down by POTUS.

Will Hunting
07-18-2019, 09:50 PM
Why? I don't get it. I don't get the stuck up preppy whites that would rather pay 50% extra for the same fucking food at Tom Thumb or one of those overpriced places :lol
:lol most people say places like Whole Foods and Central Market are overpriced. I've never seen someone say places like Tom Thumb/Kroger are.

You are one low rent motherfucker.

Millennial_Messiah
07-18-2019, 09:54 PM
:lol most people say places like Whole Foods and Central Market are overpriced. I've never seen someone say places like Tom Thumb/Kroger are.

You are one low rent motherfucker.
Whole Foods is the pinnacle of course. Central Market is the overpriced version of HEB. Tom Thumb and Kroger are NOT on the same tier. Tom Thumb charges 30-50% more for the same amount of run-of-the-mill, non-organic stuff from Walmart, Kroger or Aldi. Kroger is just average I guess if Walmart is discount. Aldi is the best store IMO but their selection is very limited.

Chris
07-18-2019, 10:19 PM
https://twitter.com/RepDanCrenshaw/status/1151889873458081793

Quadzilla99
07-19-2019, 01:46 AM
Would destroy our economy. 3.7 million jobs would be lost. Also a $9 billion drop in real income.

You know a lot about economics, huh?

Spurtacular
07-19-2019, 02:33 AM
You know a lot about economics, huh?

You don't have to have an advanced degree in economics to know that costs cause cutbacks, dickhole.

Chris
07-19-2019, 02:44 AM
salty snark

Good stuff. Thanks for your input.

ElNono
07-19-2019, 04:00 AM
bad bill imo. needs to be region specific. though i would be ok with a federal bill that indexes all minimum wages to inflation

and dumb politics. its basically large-scale grandstanding passing a bill they KNOW is doa in the senate, and even if 2/3 of the senate has a stroke and it passes, will get struck down by POTUS.

It's pandering and a campaign talking point. That said, indexing minimum wage to inflation would be way more expensive than this bill in the long run. The current minimum wage already has seen a depreciation of ~20% since instituted.

Only about 2.3% of the entirely hourly-paid employable population make minimum wage or less. That pretty much dismisses both the claims that this is going to bankrupt businesses or that it will economically lift the poor.

TheGreatYacht
07-19-2019, 06:52 AM

18 States Raised Minimum Wage, It Helped the Economy
https://youtu.be/7DIinP1TiJ0

boutons_deux
07-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Only about 2.3% of the entirely hourly-paid employable population make minimum wage or less. ... that it will economically lift the poor.

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017

Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

About 1.3 million had wages below the federal minimum.

Together, these 1.8 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2017/home.htm

The other Capital big win on Labor was the Repugs raising the pay threshold for OT pay.

Capital ALWAYS rapes Labor and Repugs are their never-fail hired rapists.

$15, indexed, regionally CoL adjusted would help the people on the very bottom, after the oligarchy has helped itself to $Ts in tax breaks, tax cuts, subsidies.

pgardn
07-19-2019, 09:21 AM
You don't have to have an advanced degree in economics to know that costs cause cutbacks, dickhole.

Oh. So let’s look at it from the giveaway point of view.
Like a tax cut for big business.
It of course trickles back to the entire economy making up for lost revenue.

Fucking genius Spurter thinks economics and human behavior are straightforward.
There are no clear rules or complex situations containing many variables.
Economics is not hard science Einstein.

pgardn
07-19-2019, 09:23 AM

And the first paragraph may not touch all the unintended consequences

boutons_deux
07-19-2019, 09:29 AM
"grandstanding passing a bill"

Dems giving the Repugs chances to demonstrate how Repugs fuck over their poor, low-ed, low-wage base.

SpursforSix
07-19-2019, 09:47 AM

I'm guessing you don't have kids. Wait until you need poster board and magic markers at 11:00 PM. Then you'll find some appreciation.

baseline bum
07-19-2019, 10:01 AM

It's like the 61 times Ryan repealed the ACA.

clambake
07-19-2019, 10:04 AM
walmart blows. whole foods is not the pinnacle, Gelsons and Bristal farms are way better.

koriwhat
07-19-2019, 10:05 AM
big fucking deal... it won't pass the senate and the house is full of retarded loons trying to ruin our economy by upping min wage for half-assed teen labor. say hello to full automation in no time at all.

koriwhat
07-19-2019, 10:05 AM

i hope he does!

DarrinS
07-19-2019, 10:24 AM
What happens to the person already making $15/hour?

Does they get a bump? Or just demoted to min wage worker?

Xevious
07-19-2019, 10:25 AM
No, megacorps like Walmart and McDonald's can afford to pay more and are exactly the type of places that should raise wages without it affecting pricing structure a whole lot. It's the rural mom-and-pop business that would suffer. Some family owned grocery store in Podunk, TX (or pick your state) probably cannot afford to pay somebody $15/hour to stock shelves and run a cash register. That would just open the door for the Walmarts, etc to complete their world domination.

Millennial_Messiah
07-19-2019, 10:55 AM
No, megacorps like Walmart and McDonald's can afford to pay more and are exactly the type of places that should raise wages without it affecting pricing structure a whole lot. It's the rural mom-and-pop business that would suffer. Some family owned grocery store in Podunk, TX (or pick your state) probably cannot afford to pay somebody $15/hour to stock shelves and run a cash register. That would just open the door for the Walmarts, etc to complete their world domination.
That's correct regarding the rural mom and pop stores, they'll go out of business and people living in small rural areas will be forced to drive 30+ miles to get groceries.

Stores like Walmart, even though they should probably dock their filthy rich executives' pay and stock price, you just know they'll pass on the beef of the costs to the customers which is BS but it's America.

boutons_deux
07-19-2019, 11:04 AM

a "smart" $15/hour would consider the number of employees paid minimum wage and revenue of the company.

In any case, a business that depends on paying poverty wages is a pretty shitty business.

koriwhat
07-19-2019, 11:07 AM
a "smart" $15/hour would consider the number of employees paid minimum wage and revenue of the company.

In any case, a business that depends on paying poverty wages is a pretty shitty business.

those who seek employment at min wage jobs not in their teens are the real problem tbh. get educated and not at the indoctrination stations nation wide, up your game, find a niche, become an entrepreneur, etc... settling for min wage is a teenager's problem and shouldn't be an adult's nor an adult with a family to take care of.

DeadlyDynasty
07-19-2019, 12:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8EMx7Y16Vo

Chucho
07-19-2019, 04:13 PM

I'll ask again; Boutons, what do you do for a living? How much of your personal wealth do you redistribute the way you envision everyone else needs to?

koriwhat
07-19-2019, 04:15 PM
I'll ask again; Boutons, what do you do for a living? How much of your personal wealth do you redistribute the way you envision everyone else needs to?

:lmao

Spurtacular
07-19-2019, 04:27 PM
big fucking deal... it won't pass the senate and the house is full of retarded loons trying to ruin our economy by upping min wage for half-assed teen labor. say hello to full automation in no time at all.

And Trump would veto it in either event. But this is a virtue signal win to their imbecile constituency. It's what they do.

Chris
07-19-2019, 04:47 PM
And Trump would veto it in either event. But this is a virtue signal win to their imbecile constituency. It's what they do.

Let's call it what it is. Bribery.

Spurtacular
07-19-2019, 04:58 PM

Pretty much.

DarrinS
07-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Lulz

Chris
07-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Less hours you say? :lol

koriwhat
07-19-2019, 05:30 PM

Lulz

he did this because he had them on salary and was working them 60+ hrs. that dude is a crock of shit!

boutons_deux
07-19-2019, 06:06 PM

Smart recognition of small businesses is how San Antonio is implementing mandatory paid sick leave, unless the shitbag TX Repug fascists screw over SA Labor.

pgardn
07-19-2019, 08:25 PM

Just like the no reply when I asked him to help his community out by volunteering...

ElNono
07-19-2019, 09:52 PM
How many people make minimum wage or less? 3% of employable individuals? Just want to see some substance to both the allegations this is the end of business as we know it, and that it will economically lift the poor.

Xevious
07-19-2019, 10:57 PM
Exact same thing can be said of tax cuts.

Chris
07-19-2019, 11:14 PM

Someone else brought this up in another thread which I easily debunked. Bribery is something that otherwise isn't on the table. Taxes and tax policy are always on the table.

spurraider21
07-20-2019, 12:09 AM
are tax cuts bribery?

edit: see that somebody else raised this again. fitting as you've never explained it

spurraider21
07-20-2019, 12:10 AM
Someone else brought this up in another thread which I easily debunked. Bribery is something that otherwise isn't on the table. Taxes and tax policy are always on the table.
:lmao you never debunked it. you ran away from the question. how does something "being on the table" (however you quantify that) mean that it can't be bribery?

do you consider tax cuts to be "something of value" chris?

how are increasing minimum wages not on the table?

so many unanswered questions that will remain unanswered

Chris
07-20-2019, 12:10 AM
Speak of the devil.

spurraider21
07-20-2019, 12:12 AM
Speak of the devil.
ya know, when you leave questions unanswered, those questions tend to come back for you

Chris
07-20-2019, 01:33 AM
ya know, when you leave questions unanswered, those questions tend to come back for you

A game of semantics is probably why I initially avoided your inane interrogation to begin with.

Blake
07-20-2019, 02:28 AM
I'm guessing you don't have kids. Wait until you need poster board and magic markers at 11:00 PM. Then you'll find some appreciation.

Lol truth. Nobody wants to go to Walmart but sooner or later you have to

DeadbeatDadCuck
07-20-2019, 05:56 AM
Lol truth. Nobody wants to go to Walmart but sooner or later you have to

It helps that they have a McDonalds. Amirite?

Thread
07-20-2019, 07:03 AM
What the... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0700/5771/products/344A1354.jpg?v=1562884658

boutons_deux
07-20-2019, 07:21 AM

this asshole Chris is really fucked up, typical Trash/Repug supporter

boutons_deux
07-20-2019, 07:29 AM
and that it will economically lift the poor.

... the post above from the govt had estimate of the effect of $15 on the poor

btw, the Repugs/conservatives love to LIE that the '60s War on Poverty failed, so quit spending on the poor.

Poverty rate was 30% in 1960, even after the post war boom '46 - '60, then War on Poverty dropped it to about 15% where it has pretty much stuck.

Cutting the poverty rate in half, AND keep it there, was/is huge "social democracy" success, motherfuckers.

Sociopath Repugs would love to destroy the social safety net, to pay for the oligarchy's tax scam, and grind the poor down, force more, esp non-white children, into poverty, destitution, homelessness, Calcutta-style street life.

spurraider21
07-20-2019, 11:08 AM
A game of semantics is probably why I initially avoided your inane interrogation to begin with.
You’re dismissing policies you don’t like as bribes even though policies you like could just as easily be described as bribes. That is all.