PDA

View Full Version : GM, Buford is getting prepared to bequeath the role to assistant GM Brian Wright

ace3g
07-19-2019, 09:30 PM
https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/1152404408522727424

lmbebo
07-19-2019, 09:38 PM
unfamiliar with Brian Wright ...

gambit1990
07-19-2019, 09:39 PM
interesting.

gambit1990
07-19-2019, 09:39 PM
more on wright here: https://www.nba.com/spurs/finding-mr-wright (https://www.nba.com/spurs/finding-mr-wright).

lmbebo
07-19-2019, 09:41 PM
https://www.nba.com/spurs/finding-mr-wright

Floyd Pacquiao
07-19-2019, 09:45 PM
We're pretty much fucked when RC stops drafting. As long as he's still at the top making decisions we'll be alright.

Ron Swanson
07-19-2019, 09:45 PM
What are his drinking habits like?

ZeusWillJudge
07-19-2019, 09:48 PM
Wow, he's young to take over those reins. Buford has shown that he has pretty good judgement about people - no reason to think this is any different.

It'll be interesting to see what changes and what stays the same over the next few years.

playblair
07-19-2019, 09:59 PM
Wow, he's young to take over those reins. Buford has shown that he has pretty good judgement about people - no reason to think this is any different.

It'll be interesting to see what changes and what stays the same over the next few years.

u mean like when he signed dennis lindsey & we proceeded to have one of our worst ever front office runs

Atl Spur
07-19-2019, 10:08 PM
Well done young buck; great people to learn from!!!

John B
07-19-2019, 10:09 PM
Click bait. I can’t read the full story unless I subscribe.

I always thought TP would succeed someday because he has the aspirations of being a GM, and maybe Manu succeeds Pop. Timmy? Well he can do whatever he wants, even dress up as Coyote on some nights if he so wishes

ElNono
07-19-2019, 10:10 PM
fuck paywalls

slick'81
07-19-2019, 10:11 PM
Rc better not be going anywhere anytime soon.especially not for some 5'8 no name scout

Gordy58
07-19-2019, 10:12 PM
LAS VEGAS — It’s Wednesday, July 10, the official last day of the NBA Summer League pre-tournament play in Las Vegas edition. R.C. Buford is sitting next to Peter J. Holt, who in March succeeded his mother, Julianna, as chairman and co-chief executive officer of Spurs Sports & Entertainment.
As Buford was busy discussing the inner workings of the Spurs and assisting Holt in his new position, information regarding Buford’s future started to intensify inside the Cox Pavillion at the University of Nevada Las Vegas campus.
Some around the NBA were a bit surprised, but that wore off as the Spurs’ deal with forward Marcus Morris started to make the rounds in the gossip circles.
The news: After a little more than 15 years serving as GM, Buford is getting prepared to bequeath the role to assistant GM Brian Wright, league sources have confirmed to The Athletic. Wright will report directly to Buford, who will officially get a new title that some around the NBA believe will be a role helping to oversee Spurs Sports & Entertainment.
When the Spurs initially hired Wright in 2016, he stayed behind the scenes and focused mainly on scouting. But sources have informed The Athletic over the last year Wright has been more involved, even fielding calls and packages for the trade of Kawhi Leonard the previous summer.
Wright has made his presence felt over the last few weeks, too. He led the negotiations to re-sign Rudy Gay to a two-year deal that could be worth up to $32 million. Wright assisted in engineering the sign-and-trade of DeMarre Carroll and trade of Davis Bertans to Washington to free up money to offer what turned out to be a deal involving Morris that fell apart.Buford has been busy preparing for a new role over the last years taking business/leadership courses at Stanford University and Duke University.
It’s still uncertain if anything will be different with Wright as GM. Ask those in the NBA about his management style. The University of Central Florida product and Maryland native is praised for his hands-on approach, “engaging, authentic and trustworthy,” one NBA agent said.
“I like Brian,” another agent added. “I think he’s sharp.”
The question now becomes: Are the Spurs finished with their front office moves with some around the NBA suggesting they are now done realigning the staff?
With the loss of Andy Birdsong, another Spurs assistant GM who once led the Austin Spurs and went to the Brooklyn Nets in May — could the team create another slot to add to their front office? Perhaps the Spurs might benefit from using a model that is becoming more frequent in the NBA, one the Utah Jazz used by hiring and converting an agent for their front office.
Former Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey — now with the Jazz as executive vice president of basketball operations, promoted Justin Zanik. The former agent at ASM Sports is now at the forefront and helped lead an aggressive offseason for the Jazz, landing free agents Bojan Bogdanovic, Ed Davis and Jeff Green and helped orchestrate the deal that acquired Mike Conley from the Memphis Grizzlies. Though Lindsey still has the final say, in some circles, the move to elevate Zanik is also to use the contacts he’s built around the NBA while working at ASM.
Whether the Spurs will add to their front office or continue to promote from within, time will tell. Though Buford and Gregg Popovich will continue to oversee the team and have the final say, Wright’s promotion to a position Buford held for more than a decade suggests he will have more authority when roster moves are collectively discussed, and more than likely obtain additional powers in the future.
“This is a place where there are no bad ideas or wrong ideas, it’s an environment where everybody’s free to think creatively,” Wright told the Spurs’ website in 2016. “Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford invite everyone to bring their own diverse background and diversity of thought into the group. Hopefully, the right ideas bubble up, and it gives the organization the tools to make great decisions.”
And now, some of those decisions will fall on Wright, which the Spurs are hoping will assist in producing championship results.

MoSpur02
07-19-2019, 10:31 PM
R.C isn't going anywhere. From my understanding he is being promoted to like CEO or something like that. Not sure the title he'll be given.

MoSpur02
07-19-2019, 10:33 PM
I've actually known for like a month or so. Just didn't think it was that big a deal.

Dverde
07-19-2019, 10:37 PM
So Wright’s great successes are the Nephew trade, overpaying an injury prone Rudy Gay, and trading Bertrans, an elite shooter, for nothing. Well done, take dem reins boy.

ZeusWillJudge
07-19-2019, 11:00 PM
u mean like when he signed dennis lindsey & we proceeded to have one of our worst ever front office runs

Tell us, specifically, some of the things that Lindsey himself did wrong while he was Assistant GM here. Not general shit you think wasn't done right. Tell us what Lindsey himself did wrong.

EricB
07-19-2019, 11:24 PM
He’s going to run all of The organizations. Austin. The hockey rampage.spurs. He’s pretty much running the entire conglomerate now. It’s Holt’s son and him pretty much. Unreal move. RC loves Wright.

NickiRasgo
07-19-2019, 11:53 PM
Kinda wish it's Sean Marks but obviously he's with the Nets.

slick'81
07-20-2019, 12:01 AM
Well brian wright you got the juice now lil man

Mr. Body
07-20-2019, 12:03 AM
The Spurs are a talent factory. They spawn great coaches and at least two great GMs. Say what you will about Presti, his tenure at OKC has been pretty impressive despite getting hamstrung on the Harden trade.

playblair
07-20-2019, 12:23 AM
Tell us, specifically, some of the things that Lindsey himself did wrong while he was Assistant GM here. Not general shit you think wasn't done right. Tell us what Lindsey himself did wrong.

its no coincidence why utah demoted him..........

timvp
07-20-2019, 12:32 AM
its no coincidence why utah demoted him..........

He was promoted, not demoted, tbh.

To be fair, I could never really forgive Lindsey for coming over from the Rockets and then right away orchestrating the Scola trade to the Rockets in which the Spurs got nothing of note :lol

DPG21920
07-20-2019, 01:56 AM
So he played a prominent role in the Kawhi trade? Is that like a D- start?

apalisoc_9
07-20-2019, 03:00 AM
One of the guys here in ST who claimed he had inside sources said this dude disliked kawhi and kawhi disliked him

I cant remeber his username. He had like 50 post...but i didnt even know about this guy till now.
And that user said the new assistant GM wasnt a big fan of kawhi and kawhi wasnt a big fan of him. If i only i can remeber.

Its just interesting to me cause i didnt even know about this guy.

apalisoc_9
07-20-2019, 03:03 AM
If i recall he said he was one ofnthe reasons why kawhi left and he linked a post from 2016 that in his first few months kawhi didnt like him at all.

Could this be the guy?

I remeber the rumors that there was someone in the organization that disliked kawhi and had a funny opinion of him.

Ozballer
07-20-2019, 03:13 AM
So he could see through Kawhi's bullshit earlier than most and called it for what it was? It's a good early sign. I'm impressed.

daslicer
07-20-2019, 03:21 AM
So he could see through Kawhi's bullshit earlier than most and called it for what it was? It's a good early sign. I'm impressed.

Surprisingly I have to agree. I don't know if this guy will be great at this job but judging by his history he's definitely a hard worker.

RC_Drunkford
07-20-2019, 04:48 AM
I don't know how to feel about this. If he's the one who had a problem with Kawhi Spurs should've fired him

Ozballer
07-20-2019, 05:09 AM
I don't know how to feel about this. If he's the one who had a problem with Kawhi Spurs should've fired him

I hear you and it is all speculation of course. However, I struggle with the concept of someone or anybody triggering Kawhi's departure et- al. If anything, the recent handling on his move to the Clippers shows that him and his group are a bunch of ruthless, calculating and reckless self serving folk that could not give a toss about goodwill from any party or the opposite of it for that matter.

99 Problems
07-20-2019, 05:50 AM
Probably had the job of driving Uncle Denny around when he was in town.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-20-2019, 07:12 AM
I hope Mr. Wright does as well as Mr. Buford has done in his tenure as GM.

MVPCues
07-20-2019, 07:41 AM
Hey timvp, need a "been" in a sentence.

"This isn't the first time there have <been> rumblings about Buford...".

SpursDynasty85
07-20-2019, 07:51 AM

Pretty sure Spurs wouldve if he really did something wrong. Kawhi and his crew were starting the transition away from the Sours. He wanted a beauty contest that only LA or NY was going to win anyway. The only thing Spurs couldve done to keep him was hand over control of operations ala Lebron. Screw that.

pgardn
07-20-2019, 07:54 AM
If i recall he said he was one ofnthe reasons why kawhi left and he linked a post from 2016 that in his first few months kawhi didnt like him at all.Could this be the guy?I remeber the rumors that there was someone in the organization that disliked kawhi and had a funny opinion of him.Then he has a great sense of what it means to grow into a douche while led around by your uncle. And assisting the ass wiping.

MultiTroll
07-20-2019, 08:14 AM
So Wright’s great successes are the Nephew trade, overpaying an injury prone Rudy Gay, and trading Bertrans, an elite shooter, for nothing. Well done, take dem reins boy.
Does any of this maneuvering mean Crater has a retire date?
Or no correlation?

Twisted_Dawg
07-20-2019, 09:28 AM

Exactly. He's done very well in Utah, starting with picking Gobert in front of us. And their recent offseason has them as an ascending WC team.

LkrFan
07-20-2019, 09:31 AM
http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/8fen5LSZcHQ5O/giphy.gif
Now the Spurs will get Pelinka'd in future LMA or DD deals :lmao

Twisted_Dawg
07-20-2019, 09:37 AM

Pretty sure Pop and RC's hands were all over these moves.

ZeusWillJudge
07-20-2019, 09:57 AM
To be fair, I could never really forgive Lindsey for coming over from the Rockets and then right away orchestrating the Scola trade to the Rockets in which the Spurs got nothing of note :lol

LOL. Dark Necessities, TBH. But that always chafed a little more that he went to Lindsey's last team. Some people in Atlanta felt the same way about Budenholzer taking Tiago's contract off our hands. Truth - I'm sure the familiarity and contacts had something to do with both of those deals getting done where they did.

Okay, that's one. :lol

So he played a prominent role in the Kawhi trade? Is that like a D- start?

More Dark Necessities. I know there's stories that the Clippers made an offer. Maybe the Spurs organization had a reason for picking Toronto over the Clippers. But it's pretty obvious that not many teams were willing to give up a lot for a 1-year rental, even for a player of Kawhi's caliber. Finding a deal that wasn't LA may have been his mandate from the team. If I had to guess, I think that's pretty close.

Twisted_Dawg
07-20-2019, 09:59 AM
Ok

Twisted_Dawg
07-20-2019, 10:12 AM
He was promoted, not demoted, tbh.

To be totally fair, part of the Scola debacle needs to be shared by Pop for listening to his buddy Larry Brown's glowing review of Jackie Butler when Brown coached him in NY. Based on Brown's high recommendation, the Spurs gave Butler a decent contract for the time only to find out he was a worthless player who Spur players couldn't understand him while on the court.

Equal blame should be shared by Holt for mandating we would never be in luxury tax, and management was ordered to do whatever it took to keep us out of it.

Hence, having to bribe another team to take Butler's contract and throwing in Scola's rights as a sweetner.

To blame Lindsey for a trade that clearly Pop and RC signed off on I think is a bit unfair.

dbreiden83080
07-20-2019, 10:15 AM

Kawhi faking an injury and stealing 19 million. I think everyone had a problem with that..

dbestpro
07-20-2019, 10:33 AM
So now we know who to blame.

MultiTroll
07-20-2019, 10:53 AM
Kawhi faking an injury and stealing 19 million. I think everyone had a problem with that..
Was Pau faking his injury too? Awarded over 20 million.

MultiTroll
07-20-2019, 10:58 AM
“This is a place where there are no bad ideas or wrong ideas, it’s an environment where everybody’s free to think creatively,” Wright told the Spurs’ website in 2016. “Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford invite everyone to bring their own diverse background and diversity of thought into the group. Hopefully, the right ideas bubble up, and it gives the organization the tools to make great decisions.”

Could we get a replay of who in the room bubbled up then promoted signing 50 Patty and extending Gasoft? :lmao

Hopefully more hit's then misses coming up with the return of DJ, White year 2 and vastly improved Walker.

07-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Could we get a replay of who in the room bubbled up then promoted signing 50 Patty and extending Gasoft? :lmao

:lol

07-20-2019, 11:08 AM
So this is why we’ve been drafting more americans lately :tu

Dennis the Menace
07-20-2019, 11:19 AM

james evans
07-20-2019, 12:19 PM
The new figurehead.

TheGreatYacht
07-20-2019, 12:46 PM
Drunkford’s new scapegoat :lol

Dont get it twisted. The drunk driving POS still calls the shots. This guy is an assistant to the general manager.

Rosewood
07-20-2019, 12:48 PM

Dont get it twisted. The drunk driving POS still calls the shots. This guy is an assistant to the general manager. Being drunk in a car is better than being shot up in a car, tbh.

Capt Bringdown
07-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Heads have rolled. RC kicked upstairs, typical corporate procedure.
Fuck up - promote up.

Dennis the Menace
07-20-2019, 01:31 PM
This their way of handling the fuck up with losing the franchise player? Oh and on top of that, for peanuts

r0drig0lac
07-20-2019, 01:37 PM
So now we know who to blame.

ZeusWillJudge
07-20-2019, 01:54 PM
This their way of handling the fuck up with losing the franchise player? Oh and on top of that, for peanuts

Kawhi won a championship with the Raptors, and was positioned to repeat - and they let him walk away for nothing. I guess they're going to have to promote Bobby Webster to president, and make Ujiri the King of Canada.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/quiz/445000/445350_1279411487593_500_375.jpg

callo1
07-20-2019, 01:55 PM
The Spurs could not have ever kept he who i shall not speak his name. Why do people think otherwise?

Did you see his list of demands to the Raptors organization?

I think the fact that he bolted for the Clippers was more than evident to the fact that he never wanted to stay.

To be completely honest, I am glad the malcontent is gone. I can't stand that diva mentality.

We were all duped by a quiet personality and assumed that he was another Tim Duncan...we were completely fooled.

TheCerebral1
07-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Hopefully new insight, brings up new ideals for the flaws that we've been circling the drain for over a season and a half.

FkLA
07-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Phew I was thinking he was going retire. Say what you want about his goofy ass smile, but post-Pop RC will be the one keeping us relevant. We're in good hands as long as he's here, tbh.

said7
07-20-2019, 01:58 PM
He might have cancer or some kind of disease tbh.

ZeusWillJudge
07-20-2019, 02:04 PM
He might have cancer or some kind of disease tbh.

The article said he's been taking some high level management-type classes, preparing for this. Sounded like it's just part of a plan.

picnroll
07-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Young Holt probably wants more guidance/advice related to the whole business.

DPG21920
07-20-2019, 03:09 PM
Shouldn’t be much to fret over yet, but this is a big move in the context of Brian being groomed as the future decision maker.

The FO the past few years has not been nearly as sharp as other FO in terms of personnel decisions/contracts and if he was influential in that it’s legitimate cause for concern.

Kawhi trade was not optimal even given the tough circumstances. Pau deal was awful. Mills deal was awful. Trading of Bertans was extremely questionable in terms of results. There are things to point to that make it tough to blame anyone, but results wise it there are a lot of curious decisions.

Drafting is key and that has gone well, but free agency (external and internal) have been questionable at best (giving dead money to players for no reason, Pau/Mills, not making any changes to a team that very clearly needs big changes in order to truly compete).

timvp
07-20-2019, 04:06 PM
Say what you want about his goofy ass smile, but post-Pop RC will be the one keeping us relevant. We're in good hands as long as he's here, tbh.

:tu

Hopefully he has at least another dozen years in him before he wants to ride off into the sunset.

Kool Bob Love
07-20-2019, 04:11 PM

Dont get it twisted. The drunk driving POS still calls the shots. This guy is an assistant to the general manager.

baseline bum
07-20-2019, 04:11 PM
:tu

Hopefully he has at least another dozen years in him before he wants to ride off into the sunset.

Dozen? We need another dozen from Pop tbh. RC better have another 20 in him.

ZeusWillJudge
07-20-2019, 04:51 PM
Shouldn’t be much to fret over yet, but this is a big move in the context of Brian being groomed as the future decision maker.

The FO the past few years has not been nearly as sharp as other FO in terms of personnel decisions/contracts and if he was influential in that it’s legitimate cause for concern.

Kawhi trade was not optimal even given the tough circumstances. Pau deal was awful. Mills deal was awful. Trading of Bertans was extremely questionable in terms of results. There are things to point to that make it tough to blame anyone, but results wise it there are a lot of curious decisions.

Drafting is key and that has gone well, but free agency (external and internal) have been questionable at best (giving dead money to players for no reason, Pau/Mills, not making any changes to a team that very clearly needs big changes in order to truly compete).

Out of that list, Pau and Patty concern me. There is so much we don't know about the Kawhi trade, but I'm not inclined to believe that they threw in the towel. I've even wondered if they tried to "do the right thing" by Kawhi, even in that situation - that would be consistent with their philosophy all along. So they sent him to a contender, but got him out of the West? It's impossible to say whether they could have gotten someone like Siakam out of the deal.

Trading Bertans looked like a very good move, when they did it. I don't see how you hold them responsible for Morris reneging. It's such a ridiculous, rare occurrence, teams haven't based their plans around it happening. It would be like staying home all the time, for fear that someone might break in.

The article talks about how the Spurs process is open, and everyone has an opportunity to weigh in on decisions. That says they weren't looking for one guy to make all the brilliant decisions on his own, so I doubt that his input was given any outsized weight in what happened. More likely he understands their methodology and culture, and is likely to continue it. That's the way I read it until I hear or see something different.

MoSpur02
07-20-2019, 05:14 PM
From my understanding RC is going to be in charge of everything under Spurs Sports and Entertainment. Pretty much CEO. Rick Pych is probably out. Don't quote me though. I'm not 100 % sure on that.

MultiTroll
07-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Kawhi won a championship with the Raptors, and was positioned to repeat - and they let him walk away for nothing.
Kawhi was an unrestricted free agent.

MoSpur02
07-20-2019, 05:16 PM
I've also heard the Spurs will have a familiar face as a new assistant coach. A fellow by the name Timothy Theodore Duncan. I'm about 95% sure on this.

emmo
07-20-2019, 05:21 PM
I've also heard the Spurs will have a familiar face as a new assistant coach. A fellow by the name Timothy Theodore Duncan. I'm about 95% sure on this.

DPG21920
07-20-2019, 05:21 PM

Wow - that would be surprising :tu Makes sense as to why SA has not replaced all their losses yet and why some familiar faces like Chad didn’t come back if true.

MultiTroll
07-20-2019, 05:23 PM
Sause?

acoelho1
07-20-2019, 05:50 PM

This news deserves a thread on it's own. Pop's successor maybe?

slick'81
07-20-2019, 05:51 PM

Holy fckn moly!

Dejounte
07-20-2019, 06:13 PM

That would be fucking rad.

Ron Swanson
07-20-2019, 06:28 PM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/31e7df8b1c901055ce350404057d87eb/tenor.gif?itemid=4502052

FkLA
07-20-2019, 06:34 PM

:wow

Kori Ellis
07-20-2019, 06:54 PM

This is great news for the franchise.

ZeusWillJudge
07-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Kawhi was an unrestricted free agent...

...who had every reason to want to stay with a team that he just won a championship with. And they couldn't hold onto him. So by the logic you dumbshits are applying, Toronto fucked up and lost their franchise player - so they should be covering for their management's incompetence by promoting them.

It's the same as when people blame PATFO because they didn't surround Kawhi with good enough players to let him win it all. But Toronto did, and he still left.

You don't get to have things both ways.

ZeusWillJudge
07-20-2019, 09:47 PM

Wow! I hope this one turns out to be true. Especially for what it should mean for the development of big men. Mostly, Tim belongs in basketball, and the game would be better off with him in it.

dbreiden83080
07-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Was Pau faking his injury too? Awarded over 20 million.

He sucks healthy or injured..

dbreiden83080
07-20-2019, 10:10 PM

That would be awesome..

MultiTroll
07-21-2019, 09:47 AM
...who had every reason to want to stay with a team that he just won a championship with. And they couldn't hold onto him. So by the logic you dumbshits are applying, Toronto fucked up and lost their franchise player - so they should be covering for their management's incompetence by promoting them.

It's the same as when people blame PATFO because they didn't surround Kawhi with good enough players to let him win it all. But Toronto did, and he still left.

You don't get to have things both ways.
Not sure what you are strawmanning but Toronto did not have Kawhi under contract.
Boiled down, they got a Championship and got out of Derosians contract.
Win / win.

OTOH what exactly did Clippers offer the Spurs?

JPB
07-22-2019, 05:38 AM
I've actually known for like a month or so. Just didn't think it was that big a deal.

Don't worry... An NBA team changing GM is just a insignificant detail.

My sauces actually told me about Marcus Morris reneging before it was in the news but I didn't think it was such a big deal either...

ZeusWillJudge
07-22-2019, 07:23 AM
Not sure what you are strawmanning but Toronto did not have Kawhi under contract.
Boiled down, they got a Championship and got out of Derosians contract.
Win / win.

OTOH what exactly did Clippers offer the Spurs?

OMG you're fucking dense. Toronto didn't do anything wrong. Neither did the Spurs! And neither did their assistant GM. There are people here saying that the upcoming promotions are to cover for their incompetence. The only thing more idiotic than that is... you.

Why do't you tell us EXACTLY what the Clippers offered the Spurs for Kawhi? Cite your source - other than unsubstantiated rumors from people like yourself. Maybe drop TSpence a PM, and he'll tell you.

BillMc
07-22-2019, 08:36 AM
As long as RC has the ultimate say, I OK with it.

Don't know how old RC is - 50's? But hopefully he's around at least a decade more.

DPG21920
07-22-2019, 11:21 AM
As long as RC has the ultimate say, I OK with it.

Don't know how old RC is - 50's? But hopefully he's around at least a decade more.

RC is 60 I think.

Drom John
07-22-2019, 11:44 AM
According to Wikipedia, R.C. was born in October 1960.

BillMc
07-22-2019, 03:15 PM
RC is 60 I think.

According to Wikipedia, R.C. was born in October 1960.

Thanks guys. Should be around at least 10 years, health-willing.

MoSpur02
07-23-2019, 12:18 PM
It's official. R.C Buford is the CEO of Spurs Sports and Entertainment. Wright is the new GM. Pretty much what I was told.

GoSpurs99
07-23-2019, 12:30 PM
It's official. R.C Buford is the CEO of Spurs Sports and Entertainment. Wright is the new GM. Pretty much what I was told.

Amazing stuff Mo, thanks for entrusting us with your info and keep it coming! (Unless it hurts the team!)

BatManu20
07-23-2019, 12:33 PM
Mo for President tbh.

BatManu20
07-23-2019, 12:35 PM

Floyd Pacquiao
07-23-2019, 12:46 PM
So is that it for RC in the scouting department? Is he gonna still be out there working the draft? Kinda worrisome, but if RC trusts this guy...

barakz21
07-23-2019, 10:27 PM
Amazing stuff Mo, thanks for entrusting us with your info and keep it coming! (Unless it hurts the team!)

Ugh. That black and yellow star.

EricB
07-24-2019, 04:43 AM
So is that it for RC in the scouting department? Is he gonna still be out there working the draft? Kinda worrisome, but if RC trusts this guy...

He pretty much runs SS&E. Which is all the franchises they own. Wright heads up the basketball operations now, however if there’s a trade etc he reports to RC, but I believe from what I was told, RC is running pretty much the business of the Spurs ownership group now.

DPG21920
11-05-2019, 10:27 PM
timvp - Wright didn’t build this roster but he was instrumental in orchestrating the Derozan deal right? Does he have any actual power or does Pop run the show?

Because if he’s worth his salt he has to see how flawed this roster is and one of the biggest flaws was seemingly heavily influenced by him.

timtonymanu
11-05-2019, 10:29 PM
He pretty much runs SS&E. Which is all the franchises they own. Wright heads up the basketball operations now, however if there’s a trade etc he reports to RC, but I believe from what I was told, RC is running pretty much the business of the Spurs ownership group now.

Lol “from what I was told.” Wonder how BS your source was that told you Mills and Beli would play less this year.

Mugen
11-05-2019, 10:31 PM
Lol “from what I was told.” Wonder how BS your source was that told you Mills and Beli would play less this year.

TPark's "sources" are just the food vendors in the AT&T Center :lol

Kurgan
11-06-2019, 06:15 AM
timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) - Wright didn’t build this roster but he was instrumental in orchestrating the Derozan deal right? Does he have any actual power or does Pop run the show?

Because if he’s worth his salt he has to see how flawed this roster is and one of the biggest flaws was seemingly heavily influenced by him.

Is there a GM in this league with less authority than Wright? He doesn't just report to Buford but Pop as well. Even if he wanted to make some radical changes to this shitshow of a roster, he has two people above him in the chain of command.

DPG21920
11-06-2019, 09:14 AM
Is there a GM in this league with less authority than Wright? He doesn't just report to Buford but Pop as well. Even if he wanted to make some radical changes to this shitshow of a roster, he has two people above him in the chain of command.

I genuinely don’t know. My hunch is you are correct but I don’t know for sure.

ZeusWillJudge
11-06-2019, 10:31 AM
timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) - Wright didn’t build this roster but he was instrumental in orchestrating the Derozan deal right? Does he have any actual power or does Pop run the show?

I don't get the impression that anything happens over Pop's objections - ever.

None of us knows what else was really on the table when they Spurs made the DeRozan deal. I don't really blame him for that. He's not responsible for Beli being here, or for Pop using him as much as he does. I'm sure if he knew that Pop wasn't going to start Poeltl, after last season, he would have suggested trading him. I could go on, but you already know. This roster construction, and the lineups - they're on Pop, not Wright.

I don't know if Wright is weak or not - I think he's mostly an afterthought.

DPG21920
11-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Well regardless of what was on the table, Wright was heavily involved and we have to grade based on what happened and the result imo. It’s turning out bad even if that was inevitable based on losing a player of Kawhi Caliber. Not blaming him/SA for Kawhi being a snake but maybe for taking a “win now” package and then absolutely failing to step on that gas pedal to do more to win now.

If you make the trade for Derozan you have to build the roster for the best chance at winning now and they simply have not done that. They stood pat mostly.

UZER
11-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Well regardless of what was on the table, Wright was heavily involved and we have to grade based on what happened and the result imo. It’s turning out bad even if that was inevitable based on losing a player of Kawhi Caliber. Not blaming him/SA for Kawhi being a snake but maybe for taking a “win now” package and then absolutely failing to step on that gas pedal to do more to win now.

If you make the trade for Derozan you have to build the roster for the best chance at winning now and they simply have not done that. They stood pat mostly.

They went win now because the 70 year old coach won’t retire and doesn’t want to deal with a team of young players. Hell he does everything he can to keep the young guys locked up until late 2nd or early 3rd year before they see significant playing time.

This is why I started the other thread, why is he still coaching? If he’s not in the future plans (can’t coach more than 2 more years), then why not hand the reigns over to the coach that will actually be coaching the young guys in their primes to grow with them.

Pop coaching the team in his style at this point is pointless.