PDA

View Full Version : The Witcher - Netflix series

Xevious
07-20-2019, 01:06 AM
I thought there was a thread on this already, but couldn't find it through search. Anyway, we finally get to see a trailer:

cSqi-8kAMmM

daboom1
07-20-2019, 01:42 AM
Looks alright, but unless there is a gay romance I might have to skip this one.

Leetonidas
07-20-2019, 02:40 AM
Pretty hyped for this. Hope it delivers

lefty20
07-20-2019, 03:45 AM
Well, I'm hyped.

Xevious
12-20-2019, 07:56 AM
It's out now, fuckers. Going to try to watch an episode or two later.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Lemme know on a 10 point scale what Kiera Metz titties are like

Trill Clinton
12-20-2019, 11:37 AM
I'll wait for the Cantthinkofanything review before diving in.

RandomGuy
12-20-2019, 12:29 PM
Pretty hyped for this. Hope it delivers

Think so. I would be willing to bet that the crew for this series is going to absorb a lot of free talent now that GOT is over.

The trailer, and sheer physicality of the lead, along with the ready-for-screen action from the games means that the sword fights should be vastly cool.

That puts it step up. As long as the screenwriting doesn't really suck. Definitely on the watch list for tonight.

Blake
12-20-2019, 07:06 PM
These two blew it up

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/12/20/netflix-the-witcher-review/

Surely it's not as bad as that. Rotten Tomatoes sitting at 63%

Reck
12-20-2019, 07:15 PM
I can see why some would think its boring. From the trailers I’ve seen, Netflix took the more grounded in reality approach where the CGI, dragons, beasts and all the fantasy parts which makes the game is probably mostly absent from the TV show.

This is too ambitious for TV. It will never live up to the game and it’s lore.

Xevious
12-20-2019, 07:34 PM
I can see why some would think its boring. From the trailers I’ve seen, Netflix took the more grounded in reality approach where the CGI, dragons, beasts and all the fantasy parts which makes the game is probably mostly absent from the TV show.

This is too ambitious for TV. It will never live up to the game and it’s lore.
It's not based on the games. It's an adaption of the books. And I can't see them omitting the fantastical stuff. Geralt is a monster hunter, that's a core part of his character. But all the political stuff and him protecting Ciri is really where the story happens.

Trainwreck2100
12-21-2019, 04:07 PM
it's more politics than fantasy, but it was still pretty good.

DMC
12-21-2019, 06:12 PM
Started watching it, stopped midway through 1st episode. Too much yapping, not enough slapping.

Trainwreck2100
12-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Started watching it, stopped midway through 1st episode. Too much yapping, not enough slapping.

that's pretty much how the show goes

Xevious
12-21-2019, 11:31 PM
I watched three episodes so far, I like it a lot. But I can see how people unfamiliar with the material could be put off. Like something like GoT, there's a whole lot of characters, locations, etc being thrown around with not a lot of time for the viewer to get caught up.

The Yennefer story was confusing me at first, because she is supposed to be a little older than Geralt (who is already old), then they revealed that her scenes were taking place in the past.

Reck
12-22-2019, 02:54 AM

Pretty much a niche show that’s for sure.

the fight sequences that are there aren’t even that impressive. Season 1 was light on action sequence, heavy on story. Specifically on Yennefer. Too much time spent with her. Specially looking all deformed and ugly as shit.

Anyways, a decent outing for a first season. Probably won’t get more than 2 or even 3 of these.

RandomGuy
12-22-2019, 08:16 AM
These two blew it up

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/12/20/netflix-the-witcher-review/

Surely it's not as bad as that. Rotten Tomatoes sitting at 63%

Watched the whole thing.

Well acted, well written. It was pretty good.

My guess is that the negative reviews were from GOT fans expecting GOT 2. This is its own story/hero/milieu

RandomGuy
12-22-2019, 08:17 AM

cool cat
12-23-2019, 05:13 PM
I didn't care for the first episode, does it get better or just more of the same?

SpursforSix
12-23-2019, 05:25 PM
I didn't care for the first episode, does it get better or just more of the same?

It's like...

"Ha ha...I'm the Witcher."
"run it's the WITCHER"
"ARRRGGGGGGG"
"have a mead?"
"please"
"oh snap...the Witcher!!!!!"
"ARRRGHGHGHG"

Reck
12-23-2019, 06:21 PM
It's like...

"Ha ha...I'm the Witcher."
"run it's the WITCHER"
"ARRRGGGGGGG"
"have a mead?"
"please"
"oh snap...the Witcher!!!!!"
"ARRRGHGHGHG"

The perky titties abound in the show make up for the herp derp though.

Im honestly surprised Netflix took the slow buildup approach like they think it’s going to go for 3-4 seasons. I’m through 5 episodes and Geralt and Ciri haven’t even met yet. Or Yennefer for that matter.

Xevious
12-24-2019, 01:28 AM
I'm kind of torn tbh. I like it, but it feels really disjointed. I understand why they structured the season the way they did (to introduce and develop Ciri and Yennefer early on in the show, when they weren't really a thing early in the short stories). But I kind of feel like they should have skipped some of the short stories and maybe used flashbacks to flesh out the necessary parts. As it is you have these random events spread over a period of many decades framed by the Ciri-on-the-run scenes, which aren't that entertaining. The entire season feels like set up for what will happen in season 2 and beyond.

Season 2 should begin with one of the novels in the series and hopefully will have a more cohesive storyline.

DMC
12-24-2019, 01:40 PM
It took me a while to realize "hey, that's Superman"

At least the CGI on his face isn't nearly as idiotic as what the JL had.

lefty
12-24-2019, 02:19 PM
It took me a while to realize "hey, that's Superman"

At least the CGI on his face isn't nearly as idiotic as what the JL had.
THICC mustache

lefty
12-24-2019, 02:20 PM
Witcher is meh

Still better than overrated Wachtmen from HBO tbh

Trainwreck2100
12-24-2019, 02:21 PM
Witcher is meh

good enough for a watch, not really worth a rewatch is what i would say about it

Reck
12-25-2019, 05:58 AM
I barely finished it. Had enough by the end of episode six but saw no point in quitting that far in so I pushed myself to watch the last two. What a drag

DMC
12-25-2019, 12:05 PM
It must not have much of a story, the episodes drag on relentlessly with boring dialogue. Everyone has a monologue.

BD24
12-25-2019, 01:22 PM
Just finished it last night. Avoided this thread until then to avoid spoilers.

I was a fan. The story was a bit hard to follow at times due to taking place in two different time periods. Once you started making that connection out and they connected it for you it was quite an enjoyable watch imo

DMC
12-25-2019, 01:57 PM

I was a fan. The story was a bit hard to follow at times due to taking place in two different time periods. Once you started making that connection out and they connected it for you it was quite an enjoyable watch imo

I thought Witcher got a bit gushy toward Yen, out of character. Is that part of the game or just some Netflix level drama?

Xevious
12-25-2019, 08:27 PM
I thought Witcher got a bit gushy toward Yen, out of character. Is that part of the game or just some Netflix level drama?
Part of the books. Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri become a non-traditional, dysfunctional family due to their bond to each other - Geralt made that wish to the djinn linking his fate to Yen's, and he is linked to Ciri due to the law of surprise. Geralt and Yen are on-again, off-again, fucking other people though... always getting drawn back together.

That's one thing the tv show explained poorly. That episode where they hunted the dragon was supposed to take place years after their encounter with the djinn (when they first met). It doesn't feel like it though because it's literally the very next episode... their feelings toward each other feel completely unearned.

Trainwreck2100
12-26-2019, 01:26 AM

At one point it was 3 different timeliness

LaMarcus Bryant
12-31-2019, 08:49 AM
Show is decent. Has potential to improve and grow.

The music score was A+, sword fighting A+.

Show just has awkward pacing, tries to throw you in the deep end, then also drags along at times. Took me a sec to realize there were different timelines, which I didn't mind, but they should have done a better job explaining for a second or two longer that years (or even decades) had passed between certain episodes.
I read that this season was based on short stories that take place prior to the first actual Witcher book. I think that may be partly why the show seems to be so monologue heavy and not much political/war/relationship storybuilding.
I'll watch the next season, still a solid fantasy show, I expect it to improve.
I'd say the first season plays out kind of like a live action anime lol.

Xevious
12-31-2019, 10:52 AM

Show just has awkward pacing, tries to throw you in the deep end, then also drags along at times. Took me a sec to realize there were different timelines, which I didn't mind, but they should have done a better job explaining for a second or two longer that years (or even decades) had passed between certain episodes.
I read that this season was based on short stories that take place prior to the first actual Witcher book. I think that may be partly why the show seems to be so monologue heavy and not much political/war/relationship storybuilding.
Yeah now that introductions are made, and everybody is all in the same timeline, I am anticipating big improvements once they get into the meat of the series. I just hope that there isn't a huge drop-off in viewers that were turned off by the awkwardness of the first season.

BD24
12-31-2019, 12:39 PM

Agree with a lot of this. I did think it was an odd choice to not just jump into the main story. It definitely seemed a bit fragmented and broken at times. Regardless, as you said I enjoyed it and am pretty excited to see where they take season 2

DC23
01-04-2020, 02:17 PM
Watched the first two episodes last night and am loving it. Will try to wrap it up in a week or two.

lefty
01-04-2020, 09:42 PM
good enough for a watch, not really worth a rewatch is what i would say about it

True true

I’m not the biggest Cavill fan but I really like him as Geralt

Overall, acting was pretty good in season 1, probably because there are a lot of British actors

Holden_Caulfield
01-04-2020, 10:18 PM
i didnt feel anything when they finally met at the end but i enjoyed it. the little girls story was boring to me but the other two was interesting enough to watch season 2 but it wont be available until 2021

LaMarcus Bryant
01-06-2020, 09:40 AM
True true

I’m not the biggest Cavill fan but I really like him as Geralt

Overall, acting was pretty good in season 1, probably because there are a lot of British actors

This is the first thing I've seen Cavill in where he didn't annoy the shit out of me.
Only played Witcher 3 in spurts, he nailed that Geralt voice and tone, that's for sure.

Why are british actors superhumans when it comes to faking accents?

LaMarcus Bryant
01-06-2020, 09:41 AM
i didnt feel anything when they finally met at the end but i enjoyed it. the little girls story was boring to me but the other two was interesting enough to watch season 2 but it wont be available until 2021

So I read that Ciri doesn't appear until way further in the books, if they did season 1 in sequential order she'd not be introduced until season 2 or 3. But she's a huge huge part of the overall storyline, so for the viewer they felt it made sense to do two timelines so her character is explained and developed alongside Geralt and Yen

lefty
01-06-2020, 09:49 AM
This is the first thing I've seen Cavill in where he didn't annoy the shit out of me.
Only played Witcher 3 in spurts, he nailed that Geralt voice and tone, that's for sure.

Why are british actors superhumans when it comes to faking accents?
Because most of them are stage actors

spurraider21
01-06-2020, 12:08 PM
3 episodes in

the structure is wonky. I don’t even mind the timeline thing (should have been better explained) but Geralts story to this point is just a disjointed series of new mini adventures with no overall advancement

only yen has shown growth

ciri just running in forest, nothing really to follow there

Blake
01-08-2020, 10:59 AM
Finished it.

There's a lot of problems with it but I still liked it.

Seemed like the show was more about Yennifer and less about Witcher. The princess running around the whole season was just annoying. They could have completely cut her out after the castle siege until the season finale and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

I thought the witcher mini adventures were pretty good. And I wanted to see more of that assassin that Yen fought against.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Finished it.

There's a lot of problems with it but I still liked it.

Seemed like the show was more about Yennifer and less about Witcher. The princess running around the whole season was just annoying. They could have completely cut her out after the castle siege until the season finale and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

I thought the witcher mini adventures were pretty good. And I wanted to see more of that assassin that Yen fought against.

Yeah it's bc they didnt wanna wait until season 2 or 3 to introduce ciri

Blake
01-09-2020, 05:07 PM
Yeah it's bc they didnt wanna wait until season 2 or 3 to introduce ciri

Well it made the show worse, imo

lefty
01-09-2020, 06:36 PM
Eh I already have Ciri on my iphone anyway

I’m sorry 😐

spurraider21
01-14-2020, 07:04 PM
4 episodes in now. the production quality of the show is pretty great (except for the ridiculously obvious CG backdrop of ciri in the weird forest)... but man i think they do a really poor job of explaining the story to an audience unfamiliar with the lore

this episode introduced the law of surprise thing, which i had to rewatch and then read about to really understand. seemed like a really stupid coincidence that both times it comes up in the episode there just happens to be an unknown child :lol

i kinda wish i had played the games first before watching. i'm just hearing weird things and having to read up on them

Reck
01-14-2020, 07:16 PM
4 episodes in now. the production quality of the show is pretty great (except for the ridiculously obvious CG backdrop of ciri in the weird forest)

That unfortunately is not their lowest point in the CGI department. They have a long ways to go before they get Game of Thrones money to make the CGI competent.

Sometimes during certain scenes the special effects were so laughable you could actually see the green screen reflecting off the actor's faces. :lol

spurraider21
01-14-2020, 07:19 PM
That unfortunately is not their lowest point in the CGI department. They have a long ways to go before they get Game of Thrones money to make the CGI competent.

Sometimes during certain scenes the special effects were so laughable you could actually see the green screen reflecting off the actor's faces. :lol
go back and rewatch season 1 of thrones... its nothing special from the effects department

Blake
01-14-2020, 11:04 PM
4 episodes in now. the production quality of the show is pretty great (except for the ridiculously obvious CG backdrop of ciri in the weird forest)... but man i think they do a really poor job of explaining the story to an audience unfamiliar with the lore

this episode introduced the law of surprise thing, which i had to rewatch and then read about to really understand. seemed like a really stupid coincidence that both times it comes up in the episode there just happens to be an unknown child :lol

i kinda wish i had played the games first before watching. i'm just hearing weird things and having to read up on them

Yeah the law of surprise thing is kind of a weak underlying premise to carry the plot on.

I mean all he had to do was say okay toss me a coin oh valley of plenty and be on his way

Trainwreck2100
01-15-2020, 01:20 AM
Yeah the law of surprise thing is kind of a weak underlying premise to carry the plot on.

I mean all he had to do was say okay toss me a coin oh valley of plenty and be on his way

nope he fucked himself by telling the guy he'll take the law of surprise as payment, in the last episode when he's offered it again, he doesn't accept it.

spurraider21
03-03-2020, 01:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exgoaU3Fr5E

Xevious
07-09-2021, 06:09 PM
2aMVzFlApa0

LaMarcus Bryant
07-12-2021, 08:17 AM
Gotta rewatch season 1. I liked it but none of it stuck with me. Don't remember shit except that chick's face was fucked up then it got fixed :lol

SpursforSix
07-12-2021, 12:42 PM
Season 2 recap:

"I'm the Witcher...arrggggg!!!"
ping pang bong (swordfight)
"he's dead"
"I'm the Witcher!!!!! ARUUUUUGGGH!"
"look at my boobs!!!!!"
"I'm the Witcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Xevious
07-12-2021, 02:10 PM
Gotta rewatch season 1. I liked it but none of it stuck with me. Don't remember shit except that chick's face was fucked up then it got fixed :lol
Will try to rewatch before season 2 releases, but it was definitely disjointed as all hell. Hopefully season 2 feels more cohesive.

lefty
07-12-2021, 02:35 PM
:lol I was about to post the same thing, I don't remember anything from S1
Except that creepy crypt episode, shit that was well done

LaMarcus Bryant
07-12-2021, 03:02 PM
Will try to rewatch before season 2 releases, but it was definitely disjointed as all hell. Hopefully season 2 feels more cohesive.

The timelines were all jumbled, right? It def didn't go chronological....

Flash back based plot is so played out. But I remember enjoying the show and the singer guy was funny. Will 100% re-watch.

Xevious
07-12-2021, 03:08 PM
The timelines were all jumbled, right? It def didn't go chronological....

Flash back based plot is so played out. But I remember enjoying the show and the singer guy was funny. Will 100% re-watch.
Each of the three plotlines were played chronologically, the problem is they were all happening decades apart from each other early in the season. :lol

Trainwreck2100
07-12-2021, 03:17 PM
Each of the three plotlines were played chronologically, the problem is they were all happening decades apart from each other early in the season. :lol

iirc, from earliest to latest, order was girl, geralt, blonde

Blake
07-12-2021, 11:56 PM
About the only thing I recall is the song to toss a coin to your witcher

lefty
09-25-2021, 07:30 PM
https://youtu.be/bSDKdjLlFxE

Reck
12-19-2021, 09:34 PM
Two episodes into it and I am questioning if I should continue. Very boring and the dialogue is basically NyQuil.

benefactor
12-19-2021, 09:47 PM
Two episodes into it and I am questioning if I should continue. Very boring and the dialogue is basically NyQuil.
It picks up. Im on episode 5

lefty20
12-19-2021, 09:56 PM
Yup, definitely gets better.

Ef-man
12-19-2021, 10:43 PM
Yup, definitely gets better.

(In deep Witcher voice) Hmm

baseline bum
12-19-2021, 11:02 PM
It picks up. Im on episode 5

When do we get to see Keira Metz tho?

Xevious
12-20-2021, 12:48 AM
Yennifer's storyline definitely drags the show down, early in season 2 anyway.

BD24
12-22-2021, 12:05 AM
Just finished the season. Really good season. Preferred it to season 1 honestly. Think they setup next season nicely as well

FrostKing
12-22-2021, 08:12 PM
Starting series tonight

spurraider21
02-24-2022, 04:16 PM
episodes 1 and 2 of season 2 have been quite a drag tbh

Xevious
02-24-2022, 04:50 PM
episodes 1 and 2 of season 2 have been quite a drag tbh
IIRC, the first episode was the worst of the season.

spurraider21
02-24-2022, 04:53 PM
IIRC, the first episode was the worst of the season.
found it more interesting than episode 2 tbh

hope it gets better from here

benefactor
02-25-2022, 10:20 AM
It picks up tbh

spurraider21
02-25-2022, 03:09 PM
episode 3 was also boring as fuck except for seeing ciri train

this season is a drag

benefactor
02-25-2022, 07:27 PM
Get through the slow start. It gets much better

spurraider21
02-27-2022, 12:27 PM
4 episodes in and still completely boring as fuck. I understand “it gets better” but I’m halfway thru the season lmao

lefty
02-27-2022, 03:27 PM
“mmmmmm…..fuck……..mmmmmm……fuck”

spurraider21
02-28-2022, 11:07 AM
episode 5 was the first good one. waste of half a season tbh

BD24
02-28-2022, 02:59 PM
Yo SR…your my dude. But do you like any shows bro? Lol. I feel like I don’t see ya in here saying good things about any shows ever

spurraider21
03-01-2022, 03:18 PM
Yo SR…your my dude. But do you like any shows bro? Lol. I feel like I don’t see ya in here saying good things about any shows ever
lot of good shows tbh. i mostly enjoyed season 1 of the witcher. season 2 has been complete dogshit. im 6 episodes in now and theres been exactly 1 good episode (5). just because i dont go around calling every show amazing doesnt mean i dont like em. but when a show has multiple consecutive episodes that are slogs which dont move the plot along... im going to call it just that.

marvelous mrs maisel is actually a pretty good show too, but i have similar complaints about some of the recent episodes there

there are a number of running shows that are fun to watch that i wouldnt call great must-see TV. cobra kai is actually fun to watch too :lol. right now im mainly waiting for better call saul. still havent had the chance to catch Dexter new blood which i was pumped for

spurraider21
03-01-2022, 03:23 PM
i guess its kind of like playing a witcher game tho. interesting main plot that never progresses because you are too busy doing dumb shit like recovering a woman's frying pan

i also get a kick every time the subtitles say "winds howling"

spurraider21
03-04-2022, 11:22 AM
Yeah season 2 was trash :lol

lefty
03-07-2022, 01:20 AM
i guess its kind of like playing a witcher game tho. interesting main plot that never progresses because you are too busy doing dumb shit like recovering a woman's frying pan

i also get a kick every time the subtitles say "winds howling"
:lol the rare shows that offer subtitles without SDH/CC are a blessing

Also lol at the frying pan, today’s games and their side missions smh

lefty
10-29-2022, 07:15 PM
Liam Hemsworth will replace Henry Cavill as Geralt

Massive downgrade :lol

steak n eggs
10-29-2022, 07:57 PM
Liam Hemsworth will replace Henry Cavill as Geralt

Massive downgrade :lol

I wonder if Liam is envious of Chris. I think they picked the wrong brother.

lefty
10-29-2022, 09:51 PM
I wonder if Liam is envious of Chris. I think they picked the wrong brother.

Liam, Chris, doesn’t matter
Cavill was perfect in that role

Xevious
10-29-2022, 10:50 PM
That really sucks. The show has problems, but Cavill wasn't one of them. Hopefully he isn't bailing simply because he gets to play Superman again.

Blake
10-30-2022, 01:49 AM
Well it's not because he'll be in mission impossible 8

Xevious
10-30-2022, 12:11 PM
Well it's not because he'll be in mission impossible 8
I just mean why would one have to interfere with the other? DC doesn't release movies at the pace that Marvel does.

And Cavill has said recently that he'd like to join HoTD as Aegon the Conqueror. I'm sure that'll be just as time consuming (if not more so) than the Witcher.

I don't know, maybe he's leaving because the show kind of sucks. :lol

spurraider21
11-02-2022, 12:16 PM
we know cavill was a huge fan of the witcher before the show launched. maybe he's not a fan of the creative direction the writers are going in and would rather pass the torch than play a role he doesnt really believe in

:lol obviously chris is a bigger name than liam but that would also make him harder to land

Blake
11-02-2022, 03:14 PM
I just mean why would one have to interfere with the other? DC doesn't release movies at the pace that Marvel does.

And Cavill has said recently that he'd like to join HoTD as Aegon the Conqueror. I'm sure that'll be just as time consuming (if not more so) than the Witcher.

I don't know, maybe he's leaving because the show kind of sucks. :lol

I was kinda joking cuz he got death in the last MI

but yeah, I concur. Weird that he would drop out of this show. He was great even tho the show is kinda sucky. I haven't even finished season 2

benefactor
11-02-2022, 04:56 PM
we know cavill was a huge fan of the witcher before the show launched. maybe he's not a fan of the creative direction the writers are going in and would rather pass the torch than play a role he doesnt really believe in

:lol obviously chris is a bigger name than liam but that would also make him harder to land
This what I read. They keep veering too far away from the source material and it pissed him off to the point he wanted out. It will likely get canceled after season 4. There's wide gap between Hemsworth and Cavill

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2022, 02:39 PM
This what I read. They keep veering too far away from the source material and it pissed him off to the point he wanted out. It will likely get canceled after season 4. There's wide gap between Hemsworth and Cavill

shit like this is why he left

Hissrich admits that when she first wrote the Roach death scene, her instinct was to puncture the moment with a bit of meta-comedy. Henry Cavill pushed for a more heartfelt moment, and eventually Hissrich caved — which she says was ultimately the right call.

“Henry was so unhappy with the line,” she recalls. “Finally I said, ‘You know what, you come up with something. I trust you, you know this material so well, you know the book so well, you don’t even have to pitch it to me.’ And he came back the next day with a beautiful speech that’s at the end of Sword of Destiny when Geralt is facing death and it’s such a pitch perfect moment.”

Bitch killed of roach and wrote that Geralt would joke about it, then the actor had to come up with his own line from the source material to respect the audience and the character

FrostKing
02-19-2023, 08:20 AM
Finishing Season 2. I'm not a fantasy guy but dove in because Polska.

I like the character development. I'm invested in the characters.

Story wise I sympathize with each side. I understand the decisions.

lefty
02-19-2023, 01:12 PM
Finishing Season 2. I'm not a fantasy guy but dove in because Polska.

I like the character development. I'm invested in the characters.

Story wise I sympathize with each side. I understand the decisions.

Now watch Blood Origins and that animated one with young Vezimir