PDA

View Full Version : Article on Assistant Coach Tim Duncan

timvp
07-22-2019, 06:29 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/tim-duncan-assistant-coach-spurs-gregg-popovich/

You gotta imagine Pop will be having even more fun with Duncan around...

Leetonidas
07-22-2019, 06:32 PM
I'm fully convinced just having Tim on the sidelines will improve the teams performance and morale. So stoked about this.

kjhip1
07-22-2019, 06:33 PM
Can’t wait to see bench reactions this season. This year is goin to be fun. Thanks for the article, good read!

MultiTroll
07-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Wonder where Tim was/is on the
:pop: Patty is the Leader give him 50 and lots of key minutes along with Gasoft extension heist.

MultiTroll
07-22-2019, 06:41 PM
<Secondly, the addition of Duncan may convince Popovich to stick around longer. The 70-year-old coaching legend is expected to ink a three-year deal this summer that he can opt out of at the end of either of the first two seasons. With Duncan around, the chances of Popovich sticking around for at least the next three seasons just increased considerably.>

Or I wonder if a Duncs with a years experience makes the Crater retirement sooner rather then later.
With modern coaches winning the Championship with little or no experience (granted teams with very good rosters), perhaps Duncs could be moved to head coach sooner rather then later. If that is what he wants. Will be a great test run 1st season.

Dennis the Menace
07-22-2019, 06:46 PM
I think Becky as the future head coach and Timmy as her lead assistant would be the best combination. Becky has shown excellent work in the opportunities she’s been given and Tim commands respect & integrates well with teammates & culture aspect.

BillMc
07-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Just hope he's doing it cause he wants to and not having financial problems after the divorce and that adviser ripped him off.

ginobilized
07-22-2019, 07:27 PM
Great article! I just couldn't be happier about this news.

Hopefully, TD can rise to the occasion in a sartorial sense.

Marrow
07-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Great read! Even more excited for the upcoming season and what this move could mean for the future of the Spurs

timtonymanu
07-22-2019, 07:45 PM
It’s gonna be refreshing instead of the team relying on Patty’s fake culture and acting like he has any value.

tonski17
07-22-2019, 07:52 PM
I hope Manu could also join the team as an assistant. I love his knowledge of the game and the experience he could impart with the current lineup.

BackHome
07-22-2019, 08:06 PM
I think Manu will spend two or three years away from Basketball spending time with his kids. But he is way to competitive to sit at home for longer then that the question is were and what does he want to do Basketball wise.

spursfan09
07-22-2019, 08:16 PM
Nice to know there are people out who actually like being spurs and want to be sprus

RodNIc91
07-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Timvp writing again, Tim Duncan coming back to the spurs. This season sure is starting to look the most exciting since 2015

stu scotts eye
07-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Just hope he's doing it cause he wants to and not having financial problems after the divorce and that adviser ripped him off.

The adviser problems were really minuscule relative to his career earnings. Plus, I am sure there's back end compensation hes been receiving for taking less upfront for over a decade for the Spurs.

r0drig0lac
07-22-2019, 08:40 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lobt2.gif

z0stix
07-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Timmy 1st coach to wear shorts and sandals to games??

spursfan09
07-22-2019, 08:51 PM
Nice to know there are people out who actually like being spurs and want to be sprus

Spurs Homer
07-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Welp

Tim Fucking Duncan

Hope all you Kawhitter faggots stay the fuck away and allow real spurs fans to enjoy our season now.

At least Timmy brings back some kind of pride in this franchise that was frayed by that piece of shit quitter and all his faggot supporters.

RD2191
07-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Welp

Tim Fucking Duncan

Hope all you Kawhitter faggots stay the fuck away and allow real spurs fans to enjoy our season now.

At least Timmy brings back some kind of pride in this franchise that was frayed by that piece of shit quitter and all his faggot supporters.

Shut up, faggot.

Spurs Homer
07-22-2019, 09:10 PM
Shut up, faggot.

Pinche Roberto -

you disappointed me more than all the other faggots combined -

YOU

of all people.

ZeusWillJudge
07-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Shut up, faggot.

:lol

RD2191
07-22-2019, 09:47 PM
Pinche Roberto -

you disappointed me more than all the other faggots combined -

YOU

of all people.

Never meet your heroes.

Ron Swanson
07-22-2019, 10:12 PM
Good stuff, timvp.

DJR210
07-22-2019, 10:39 PM
Jakob Poeltl is gonna be a player now! Luka is gonna benefit big time too :tu

Best news off the off-season for me

dbreiden83080
07-22-2019, 10:43 PM
When LA is having a shit night, can Duncan suit up the old #21, and get us some rebounds?

DieHardSpursFan1537
07-22-2019, 10:45 PM
Wow this is incredible. It's going to be such a blast watching the GOAT coach on the sidelines

look_at_g_shred
07-22-2019, 10:47 PM
I’m excited for the young guys to be coached by Timmy. Should be fun.

DieHardSpursFan1537
07-22-2019, 10:47 PM
Welp

Tim Fucking Duncan

There's no reason to talk about the autistic mute anymore on this board. It's beyond old news at this point.

daslicer
07-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Watch the intro of this video. It sums up how I feel about Tim coming back.
n1LeVCwyHas

Chinook
07-22-2019, 11:01 PM
Tim might also give the Spurs some credibility with free agents. A lot of these guys grew up idolizing Duncan, so having him be part of the coaching staff during the next two summers could give them a recruiting boost.

Arcadian
07-22-2019, 11:28 PM
Tim is one of the few people who Pop actually respects enough to trust and take advice from. He has said numerous times that he'd be nothing without Duncan, so this might serve to keep his ego in check.

ZeusWillJudge
07-23-2019, 12:13 AM

You gotta imagine Pop will be having even more fun with Duncan around...

So what is really going on with that 3 year deal to Pop? You mentioned that he can opt out of his coaching contract at the end of each of the first two seasons. Why would he even want that? If he's retiring, he can opt out at any time he wants to. Nobody can force you to keep working. Usually an opt out clause means you could go work somewhere else if you want to. I can't think of any other reason why you would have one.

SpurSpike
07-23-2019, 12:22 AM
No one will be able to say Pops assistants are "yes men" anymore!

siraulo23
07-23-2019, 12:33 AM
:tu

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-23-2019, 01:16 AM
I bet by game 5 at the latest Pop will get himself ejected after a DDR tantrum and leave Becky and Timmy coaching. Will be fun!

tbdog
07-23-2019, 01:19 AM
2 rookie assistants. Is this fine to have?

apalisoc_9
07-23-2019, 01:20 AM
I think tim will likely play a more leadership role rather than coaching. Valuable when LMA and Demar are your two best players.

szkorhetz
07-23-2019, 01:49 AM
Hardy sat in the back row for like the last 3 seasons.

tbdog
07-23-2019, 01:50 AM
So back row coaches are not assistants?

monty4329
07-23-2019, 06:13 AM

And the supposed "lead" is there just because she is a she....But maybe in the players empowerment age that's what we need.

monty4329
07-23-2019, 06:15 AM
So back row coaches are not assistants?

They do not run the in-game side of things. Same as a manager is not an executive, even if he is a critical piece in an organization.

8FOR!3
07-23-2019, 06:42 AM
And the supposed "lead" is there just because she is a she....But maybe in the players empowerment age that's what we need.

Meh I don’t really agree with that. Maybe it’s part of the reason why she got the job in the first place but she had a really good pro career in San Antonio and if it made sense to give any woman that job it definitely made sense to give it to her. But now she’s been with the organization for 5 seasons and I have no doubt she has the mind for coaching. She’s gonna be the lead assistant likely bc she earned it. Women can’t compete with professional men athletically in basketball but there’s nothing that handicaps her from understanding the game. Not to mention plenty of men former players (Lue, Kidd, etc.) were handed head coaching gigs they had no business having just bc they were former players.

Also didn’t Will Hardy basically go the Spoelstra route? Would be surprised if he’s not a head coach one day as well, teams really covet Spurs assistants.

monty4329
07-23-2019, 07:17 AM
Meh I don’t really agree with that. Maybe it’s part of the reason why she got the job in the first place but she had a really good pro career in San Antonio and if it made sense to give any woman that job it definitely made sense to give it to her. But now she’s been with the organization for 5 seasons and I have no doubt she has the mind for coaching. She’s gonna be the lead assistant likely bc she earned it. Women can’t compete with professional men athletically in basketball but there’s nothing that handicaps her from understanding the game. Not to mention plenty of men former players (Lue, Kidd, etc.) were handed head coaching gigs they had no business having just bc they were former players.

Also didn’t Will Hardy basically go the Spoelstra route? Would be surprised if he’s not a head coach one day as well, teams really covet Spurs assistants.

In fact, almost all of the best and/or the longest tenured HC in the leage were not players. Having played gives short term credibility in the eyes of dumb owners and dumb players. It lasts a month or two then they either perform or not. Same will be valid for most of the ladies given a HC role just because it looks good in the PR dept. Eventually a few will prove good, probably.
Hammon is a PR stunt and will be even bigger when next year just before the elections she will be on every cover page as the NBA answer to trump machism bla bla bla....

I have no problem with Hardy on the front bench, if the two before him are experienced coaches who actually coached teams, successfully when there were games to win at professional level. Frankly, what can he bring in terms of in-game management, now?
Again, all great if Hammon had ever coached professional basketball players winning games at high rate.
Duncan albeit being the Spurs GOAT, has zero experience of that type.
He will be the first to tell you he needs some time to manage the game from a coach perspective.

So basically we have Pop, and then three guys who never had to call a play out of the pocket with the game on the line. Pretty thin.

kobyz
07-23-2019, 07:30 AM
Why not to add Bruce too?

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-23-2019, 07:50 AM
In fact, almost all of the best and/or the longest tenured HC in the leage were not players. Having played gives short term credibility in the eyes of dumb owners and dumb players. It lasts a month or two then they either perform or not. Same will be valid for most of the ladies given a HC role just because it looks good in the PR dept. Eventually a few will prove good, probably.
Hammon is a PR stunt and will be even bigger when next year just before the elections she will be on every cover page as the NBA answer to trump machism bla bla bla....

I have no problem with Hardy on the front bench, if the two before him are experienced coaches who actually coached teams, successfully when there were games to win at professional level. Frankly, what can he bring in terms of in-game management, now?
Again, all great if Hammon had ever coached professional basketball players winning games at high rate.
He will be the first to tell you he needs some time to manage the game from a coach perspective.

So basically we have Pop, and then three guys who never had to call a play out of the pocket with the game on the line. Pretty thin.

How is Hammond a PR stunt?

Before she even became an assistant coach for like two seasons she would come up during her WNBA off season and shadow the coaching staff. Then they hired her as an assistant and due to other assistants getting promoted elsewhere she is now the lead assistant. She is putting in the work just like most former players who turn into coaches. Of course some players get preferential treatment like Jason Kidd and come right into a job but most grind and that is what she is doing.

Could the team have hired a former coach to add to the staff? Sure. But it seems obvious they think Becky and Will can handle running the ship if Pop is ejected from a game or sick. Not to mention one of the reasons they have had Will and Becky coaching Summer League is to get a better feel for actual in game head coaching

vavvi
07-23-2019, 08:10 AM

Not disagreeing with you but last year we had plenty of experienced guys on the bench, and we all remember that in-game management to end the season...

Would be fun seeing Duncan out there every other night anyway

monty4329
07-23-2019, 08:41 AM
Not disagreeing with you but last year we had plenty of experienced guys on the bench, and we all remember that in-game management to end the season...

Would be fun seeing Duncan out there every other night anyway

We don't know what was suggested to Pop. I guess nobody recommended throwing the towel with 30 secs to go. That's not the point.

My point is that during the whole game, suggestion from coaches that have_been_there don't need any second gessing from HC: he says yes or not in half a second, because he knows that those suggestions are deeply thought of.

Whereas in the case of inexperienced assistants, he has to think about the same suggestions and wonder if they are deeply analyzed in each layer and from each angle etc, or are they a shot in the dark?. Takes a few seconds. BIG difference during a 82 + (20?) games season.

robert1886
07-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Offseason is officially A+

cutewizard
07-23-2019, 09:13 AM
Spurs gonna win the NBA title

like i foresaw, hehehehe

BackHome
07-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Can’t wait for Timmy to start working with Luka and Keldon man he is going to run there asses raged. For Luka he has to be the luckiest PF drafted to be able to be coached and tutored by the greatest PF of all time!!!!!!!!!

Truth4sale$
07-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Unlike most here, I am not thrilled about the coaching changes. There needed to be a seasoned voice outside of the organization, or adding a previous assistant like Chad Forcier(joined Bucks)
Adding Duncan is nice but why should he get first row? Very few great players make good coach. I agree he adds a former play element to the staff that was loss with the departure of Udoka.
What makes Hardy worthy qualified also? While Chip sits in the back row for the last decade. Hammon I understand, but Chip England still sits in the back row? Way to reward a loyal employee.

Seventyniner
07-23-2019, 11:30 AM
The idea that Pop might have turned to Tim out of desperation rather than actual desire is interesting. Probably not true, but interesting nonetheless.

Big P
07-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Unlike most here, I am not thrilled about the coaching changes. There needed to be a seasoned voice outside of the organization, or adding a previous assistant like Chad Forcier(joined Bucks)
Adding Duncan is nice but why should he get first row? Very few great players make good coach. I agree he adds a former play element to the staff that was loss with the departure of Udoka.
What makes Hardy worthy qualified also? While Chip sits in the back row for the last decade. Hammon I understand, but Chip England still sits in the back row? Way to reward a loyal employee.

:rolleyes

8FOR!3
07-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Politically I get what you’re saying I just don’t think Becky Hammon is under qualified. And there are plenty of more experienced coaches available yes but that doesn’t really mean they are better. I even thought Messina was underwhelming as an assistant given his vast experience and legitimate credibility

DMC
07-23-2019, 12:52 PM
I knew in 2016 Tim would be an assistant coach.

DMC
07-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Tim spent more time on that bench with Pop and the Spurs system than the rest of those coaches combined. He belongs on the 1st row. Only an idiot would put him anywhere else.

Dejounte
07-23-2019, 01:06 PM
Can’t wait for Timmy to start working with Luka and Keldon man he is going to run there asses raged. For Luka he has to be the luckiest PF drafted to be able to be coached and tutored by the greatest PF of all time!!!!!!!!!

I think Luka would benefit more if Manu became a coach.

Dejounte
07-23-2019, 01:07 PM

I think there's more than what's on the surface.... I believe Chip probably doesnt want an assistant coach role. If he did, he would have left a long time ago. Im pretty sure hes getting paid though.

Dex
07-23-2019, 01:33 PM

Chip is a player development and shooting coach. He doesn't do the Xs and Os.

Dave_ET
07-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Tim spent more time on that bench with Pop and the Spurs system than the rest of those coaches combined. He belongs on the 1st row. Only an idiot would put him anywhere else.

Truth4sale$
07-23-2019, 03:26 PM
I am not questioning Duncan's knowledge of the system. Sure, he knows how to play, and teach guys moves, basketball IQ, how to be a professiona, etcl..but can breakdown video, call a play?? Scout another team? That is yet to be seen. But I am sure he would venture into this if he didnt want to.
I am questioning the assistants overall as well. You have an old man and 3 very young assistants that are not battle tested. Hammon just got to the front row last year, Hardy moved up now, and Duncan has been per diem for 2 years. It's not like the Spurs are a team of superstars and Popovich can be stubborn. Who is checking him when he does something crazy?

bklynspursfan
07-23-2019, 03:47 PM
This was Tim's idea it appears. Dude is a legend, and came up clutch as always.

beirmeistr
07-23-2019, 03:59 PM

Bingo

Dex
07-23-2019, 04:18 PM

Not sure what's more surprising...that this was Tim's idea, or that Pop was having trouble filling his assistant spot?

How many people in the Spurs coaching tree have gone on to have successful careers in coaching or other opportunities? You would think candidates would be chomping at the bit just to have a chance to put "Spurs assistant coach" on their resume.

bklynspursfan
07-23-2019, 05:06 PM

The fact that they reached out to Manu before TD volunteered is interesting.

I wonder if he committed to it, but maybe they tried to get him in there this year vs next (or whenever) after finding it difficult to land someone.

A coaching staff with TD/Manu on it would be something.

bklynspursfan
07-23-2019, 05:08 PM
Not sure what's more surprising...that this was Tim's idea, or that Pop was having trouble filling his assistant spot?

How many people in the Spurs coaching tree have gone on to have successful careers in coaching or other opportunities? You would think candidates would be chomping at the bit just to have a chance to put "Spurs assistant coach" on their resume.

Yea, both are surprising. I guess it's possible they weren't crazy about some of the options out there? Still seems a little surprising

DMC
07-23-2019, 05:52 PM
The fact that they reached out to Manu before TD volunteered is interesting.

I wonder if he committed to it, but maybe they tried to get him in there this year vs next (or whenever) after finding it difficult to land someone.

A coaching staff with TD/Manu on it would be something.

Paying to see a game just to see the coaches call the timeouts. :lol

timvp
07-23-2019, 05:56 PM

That's not accurate, tbh. Pop wasn't "struggling to find an assistant" and Duncan didn't approach Pop. Pop approached Duncan before even discussing the position with anyone else. Duncan as an assistant coach has been a not too quiet secret for most of the summer. Only reason it took this long to announce: Duncan took a bit of time deciding he wanted to do it ... and obviously Duncan didn't want to make too big of a deal out of it.

Dex
07-23-2019, 06:41 PM
That's not accurate, tbh. Pop wasn't "struggling to find an assistant" and Duncan didn't approach Pop. Pop approached Duncan before even discussing the position with anyone else. Duncan as an assistant coach has been a not too quiet secret for most of the summer. Only reason it took this long to announce: Duncan took a bit of time deciding he wanted to do it ... and obviously Duncan didn't want to make too big of a deal out of it.

Thanks for the scoop. Not surprising Duncan wanted to mull it over...I'm still surprised he took the position, tbh.

That said...Pop and Duncan literally made the Spurs what they are today. I know that I rest easier with both of them being back at the helm, despite the growing pains it will take for Duncan to get used to coaching.

BackHome
07-23-2019, 06:52 PM
It’s going to be hard for players to wine about practice “Lyles, Luka” when you have one of the greatest players staring you down with his famous dead pane look. Lol. I see Timmy telling Poodle to be more vocal on offense and work on bank shots and with Luka he is going to help with defense assignments and work with him on getting core strength vs heavy muscle. And Lyles teaching him how to be a NBA player with hard work in practice and also helping him with offense and defense assignments

Ozballer
07-23-2019, 06:54 PM
It is pretty clear to me that the Spurs long lasting success was the result of the dynamics between both Duncan and Pop. Duncan was the general on the field and Pop was the Commander in Chief. However, the players responded to Duncan, not the coach (progressively Ginobili and Parker broke away from this model). Duncan I felt was the most coach like player I've seen in any sport. Clearly he was always looking at getting the best out of his teammates and was an outstanding motivator. He was in the finer details of his team mates (always focused on winning) and no doubt he was always the the foil between players sensitivities and Pop's brashness. He was the one that could always meddle on conflict too between the FO and the playing group. A true decoder of lost in translation moments. For all these reasons, for his natural winning instinct, he can prove instrumental to help the team, particularly in finding a mental edge for winning games consistently, which , in my view, is the Spurs weakest link right now. i'm sure it will be big challenge and I cannot think of many players transitioning better as coaches than TD.

MultiTroll
07-23-2019, 06:59 PM
I am not questioning Duncan's knowledge of the system. Sure, he knows how to play, and teach guys moves, basketball IQ, how to be a professiona, etcl..but can breakdown video, call a play?? Scout another team? That is yet to be seen. But I am sure he would venture into this if he didnt want to.
I am questioning the assistants overall as well. You have an old man and 3 very young assistants that are not battle tested. Hammon just got to the front row last year, Hardy moved up now, and Duncan has been per diem for 2 years. It's not like the Spurs are a team of superstars and Popovich can be stubborn. Who is checking him when he does something crazy?Yes wonder if Duncan signed off, simply tolerated or even was in favor of Bonner as a 1st round starter for 5 playoff games. Pops affair with Michael Finley which continued for years. Patty Coulture and the bullshit that has been.

FkLA
07-23-2019, 07:03 PM

Is there any truth to the rumor that they also offered an assistant position to Manu? Would've been kind of awkward though, since one of them would've had to sit in the back row unless Hardy didn't get promoted to the front row.

bklynspursfan
07-23-2019, 07:21 PM

Ah thanks. Shows how clued in some of these guys are. Makes sense, especially about TD wanting to keep things quiet. Vanessa seemed to have been keeping this quiet for some time based off her tweet.

Have you heard anything about the Manu part? Could definitely see him on the bench at some point.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-23-2019, 09:45 PM
Would love to see Manu on the bench, but by the time he is likely to even consider coming back, Pop may have already retired. Would he want to be a coach without Pop? Depends if Timmy is still there I imagine.

beirmeistr
07-23-2019, 10:09 PM
Would love for Pop to ask Manu to tutor Luka on his offensive moves, at Manu ‘s conveniente of course.

spurs10
07-24-2019, 12:11 AM

You gotta imagine Pop will be having even more fun with Duncan around... Absolutely! The team and the fans too. This is really great for everyone and exactly what the doctor ordered after some of the drama we've been subjected to of late. It's always been about the team and fortunately we've had a run that's mindboggling- the most wins of any team in team sports for a couple decades. This is great for morale and great for the team.
:flag:

gilmor
07-24-2019, 03:58 AM

Man.. Luka and TD.. can't wait..

Rummpd
07-24-2019, 07:20 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/23/tim-duncan-san-antonio-spurs-assistant-coach-gregg-popovich

Great article

Ocotillo
07-24-2019, 07:24 AM
Does Manu live in Argentina these days or does he have a home in the US?

Roscoe P. Coltrane
07-24-2019, 10:10 AM
I think Becky as the future head coach and Timmy as her lead assistant would be the best combination. Becky has shown excellent work in the opportunities she’s been given and Tim commands respect & integrates well with teammates & culture aspect.Your sissy ass would rather have Hammon as coach over Duncan.

Frank Dux
07-24-2019, 10:35 AM
hat
A publicity stunt for which they have sought no publicity. The Spurs didn't do shit to publicize her hire. And to keep her on staff as a coach for five, going on six years...just for publicity? Sure. lol

Seventyniner
07-24-2019, 11:07 AM
Any chance Tim wants to eventually be a head coach? He already has a lot of parallels with Bill Russell imo, this would only strengthen it.

Spur|n|Austin
07-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Maybe Tim will talk some sense into Pop when he goes through the stretches of midget ball and the sometimes atrocious lineup choices he has.

wildbill2u
07-27-2019, 11:42 AM
In a fantastic fantasy for fans, I could imagine TD as head coach with Parker coaching the guards and Manu as a utility coach , teaching all sorts of values including passion, character, and will to win along with the importance of role playing and some fancy moves and passing/

The Big 3 ride again.

bklynspursfan
07-31-2019, 06:32 PM
TD man. Bet there's so many other stories like this

HankChinaski
07-31-2019, 07:10 PM
He is going to legit boost the players with his presence. The level of mad respect players that have played with him and coaches that have worked him have for Duncan is amazing. His retirement alone says a lot about how influential of a person he is. People legit teared up in interviews when he stepped down as they confirmed his retirement and what his time with them meant.

I can't recall recently or over long length of time of an NBA player receiving that level of love and appreciation for them when they retired.

You don't get that level of appreciation or love from your everyday co-workers.