PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Agree to Exhibit-10 Deal with F Dedric Lawson

BatManu20
07-22-2019, 10:22 PM
Undrafted F out of Kansas. BIG 12 leading scorer & rebounder last season.

BatManu20
07-22-2019, 10:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAIQQ6pWwAAP4V9?format=jpg&name=large

BatManu20
07-22-2019, 10:23 PM
https://youtu.be/Mocwjngf2iE

exstatic
07-22-2019, 10:25 PM
Austin fodder.

timvp
07-22-2019, 10:27 PM
Wow, that's a good prospect for an Exhibit-10 deal. Lawson averaged ~20 points and ~10 rebounds at Kansas.

The Bill Self-RC Buford connection probably helped too.

Good stuff, even though it's a long shot he ever does anything outside of Austin.

sananspursfan21
07-22-2019, 10:27 PM
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Chinook
07-22-2019, 10:31 PM
I like it. Fuck, I really like it. I would have been okay with him at 29 (at least at the beginning of last season). Getting him at 49 would have been very good with me. So I guess this is like the best-case scenario. Like if he's good, he'll bump Metu from the team and be yet another young prospect. If he's just okay, he'll be another guy to potentially follow in Austin and in next year's summer league. If he sucks, the Spurs can prove (once again) that they scout better than I do and just cut him without a second thought.

Russ
07-22-2019, 10:36 PM
Good stuff, even though it's a long shot he ever does anything outside of Austin.

Probably right. But after Forbes I'm willing to entertain some optimism here.

ZeusWillJudge
07-22-2019, 10:37 PM
The Exhbit 10 deal looks like a way to throw a little extra money at a guy that you can't put on any kind of contract, but you'd still like to get him to stick around on your G-League team. I thought they might do that for Ben Moore when they took away his 2-way contract. An extra $50K is a big deal to a guy just trying to pay the bills.

I thought Lawson might get a 2-way from someone. He signed up to play with Golden State's SL team, but I never saw if he actually played for them. If he did, he must not have shown them much? I'm a little surprised that he comes to the Spurs that easily.

Dennis the Menace
07-22-2019, 10:37 PM
I like this a lot. He’s already a solid player with room for growth. Development standpoint, Spurs can create something here. Can handle the 2-4 positions

Might be better than Metu

BatManu20
07-22-2019, 10:39 PM
Just for the record, Lawson turns 22 in October. Still some room for growth. If only he was more athletic tbh..

Chinook
07-22-2019, 10:42 PM
The Exhbit 10 deal looks like a way to throw a little extra money at a guy that you can't put on any kind of contract, but you'd still like to get him to stick around on your G-League team. I thought they might do that for Ben Moore when they took away his 2-way contract. An extra $50K is a big deal to a guy just trying to pay the bills.

I thought Lawson might get a 2-way from someone. He signed up to play with Golden State's SL team, but I never saw if he actually played for them. If he did, he must not have shown them much? I'm a little surprised that he comes to the Spurs that easily.

They wouldn't X-10 Moore, because Austin already has his rights. They could just sign him to a camp deal, guaranteeing whatever they want before cutting him to do the same thing. The Spurs should sign someone else to an X-10 deal for camp, because I believe you can have two or three a year.

Seventyniner
07-22-2019, 10:42 PM
Anyone here with a take on his strengths and weaknesses, and why he went undrafted and hadn't even signed with a G-League team yet?

Russ
07-22-2019, 10:43 PM
He looks like a grinder -- kind of a poor man's Lamarcus Aldridge.

Mocwjngf2iE

But he won't even attempt a jump shot.

Keepin' it real
07-22-2019, 10:43 PM
Wasn't James Anderson also Big XII leading scorer and rebounder a few years ago?

sasaint
07-22-2019, 10:45 PM
I like this a lot. He’s already a solid player with room for growth. Development standpoint, Spurs can create something here. Can handle the 2-4 positions

He is definitely not quick enough for a 2 and only quick enough to guard 3s on short switches.

Chinook
07-22-2019, 10:48 PM
Wow, that's a good prospect for an Exhibit-10 deal. Lawson averaged ~20 points and ~10 rebounds at Kansas.

The Bill Self-RC Buford connection probably helped too.

I think if he doesn't make it it'll be because he seems to lack NBA athleticism. He's a bit bigger than Ben Moore, though, so maybe he would be able to transition to being a small-ball center. He showed some real potential in all facets of the game, with intriguing D on and off the ball, flashes of playmaking, strong rebounding and even good outside shooting. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he manages to get minutes for some team within the next two years. He's either good enough to make it, or he's not. I don't know if that developing in the d-league would change anything.

sasaint
07-22-2019, 10:49 PM

I read a quick summary of his SL. He averaged about 17 minutes a game. He had averages of 6+ pts., 4+ rbs., 2 assts., but apparently showed pretty good IQ.

Chinook
07-22-2019, 10:49 PM

Mocwjngf2iE

Shot 39 percent from three on 2.5 attempts a game. He's not Curry or anything, but he seems to be a much better shooter than, say, Metu.

sasaint
07-22-2019, 10:53 PM
I think if he doesn't make it it'll be because he seems to lack NBA athleticism. He's a bit bigger than Ben Moore, though, so maybe he would be able to transition to being a small-ball center. He showed some real potential in all facets of the game, with intriguing D on and off the ball, flashes of playmaking, strong rebounding and even good outside shooting. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he manages to get minutes for some team within the next two years. He's either good enough to make it, or he's not. I don't know if that developing in the d-league would change anything.

He has shown a little range. He seems like a good, fairly old school PF prospect. Tim might have something to do with his signing and his future.

spurraider21
07-22-2019, 11:05 PM

Mocwjngf2iE

he attempts a few 3's per game, hits them at a respectable clip too

Dennis the Menace
07-22-2019, 11:05 PM
Have Timmy work with Poetl, Metu, Salmanic, Thomas Robinson and Lawson. Then see what happens

dylankerouac
07-22-2019, 11:12 PM
He has shown a little range. He seems like a good, fairly old school PF prospect. Tim might have something to do with his signing and his future.

Thats what I was thinking... project for Timmy. I guess we’ll see if he measures up.

palangi
07-22-2019, 11:14 PM

Definitely different players

ZeusWillJudge
07-22-2019, 11:43 PM
They wouldn't X-10 Moore, because Austin already has his rights. They could just sign him to a camp deal, guaranteeing whatever they want before cutting him to do the same thing. The Spurs should sign someone else to an X-10 deal for camp, because I believe you can have two or three a year.

The first I'd ever heard of an Exhibition 10, was reading that someone had been signed to one. I never dug into them to really know for sure - like I said, it looked to me like a way to throw a few bucks at a guy you like more than the average G League player. I know it doesn't count against the cap, but it's chump change to the team anyway. Minimum $5K and max of $50K. It sounded like it would be a good gesture to Moore, just because he took a financial hit when they cancelled his 2-way. I feel for those G-League guys.

I didn't know you could sign a guy to a "camp deal" and pay them whatever you want. I thought you had to have a roster spot to make a contract.

DPG21920
07-22-2019, 11:54 PM
The first I'd ever heard of an Exhibition 10, was reading that someone had been signed to one. I never dug into them to really know for sure - like I said, it looked to me like a way to throw a few bucks at a guy you like more than the average G League player. I know it doesn't count against the cap, but it's chump change to the team anyway. Minimum $5K and max of $50K. It sounded like it would be a good gesture to Moore, just because he took a financial hit when they cancelled his 2-way. I feel for those G-League guys.

I didn't know you could sign a guy to a "camp deal" and pay them whatever you want. I thought you had to have a roster spot to make a contract.

Yup- that is why you always see training camp rosters well beyond the normal allowable limit. Then they make the cuts. Pretty cool deal/contract.

ZeusWillJudge
07-23-2019, 12:00 AM
I read a quick summary of his SL. He averaged about 17 minutes a game. He had averages of 6+ pts., 4+ rbs., 2 assts., but apparently showed pretty good IQ.

Thanks. He's one I forgo to look for this summer.

I watched him play a couple of times with Kansas. I thought he had an NBA-ready body, and could play the 4, even though he was listed as a combo forward. I don't think I ever saw him shoot a 3, but he got to the line a lot, and knocked down his FT's. I thought there was a good chance that someone would take a throw at him with a second round pick.

But I just checked his combine numbers. He's only 6'7" without shoes. He had some of the slowest sprint times at the combine this year, and he had the second worst standing vertical and the worst max vertical at the combine this year. A 6'7" guy with a standing vertical of 23.5" is going to struggle above the college level, I'm afraid.

ZeusWillJudge
07-23-2019, 12:05 AM
Yup- that is why you always see training camp rosters well beyond the normal allowable limit. Then they make the cuts. Pretty cool deal/contract.

Well now I feel stupid. I never knew all those guys had contracts. I thought a lot of them were just guys hoping to get looked at, and that the training camp roster was just a piece of paper. Are they all getting paid?

DPG21920
07-23-2019, 12:12 AM
Well now I feel stupid. I never knew all those guys had contracts. I thought a lot of them were just guys hoping to get looked at, and that the training camp roster was just a piece of paper. Are they all getting paid?

Nothing to feel stupid over my friend; but yes, if you are at training camp it’s my understanding you are compensated. Sometimes these deals are real looks, most of the time it’s to get them to Austin. But they are getting paid. And really, with it being as low as 5K it really is just paper to SA tbh...(especially since there is zero impact to the cap)

Edit: Camp deals I am not sure about the minimum guarantee but they are compensated.

ceperez
07-23-2019, 05:46 AM
https://archive.commercialappeal.com/columnists/geoff-calkins/nba-combine-a-valuable-lesson-for-dedric-lawson-330f96f2-03f6-2fa6-e053-0100007f9351-379857751.html

His 12.48 lane agility was among the worst recorded. His three quarter court sprint and shuttle run were also among the absolute slowest of the combine. Let's hope his vertical numbers of 22.5 (one step) and 28.0 (max) were not enhanced. It's safe to say Lawson did not have a good showing in the athleticism testing and would have been best advised to skip it.

8' 10.5'' - standing reach
7' 2.5'' - wingspan
6' 8'' - with shoes

kind of like a Kyle Anderson without any skills.

or a Kawhi Leonard without bulk and athleticism (what's Kawhi's vertical numbers?)

99 Problems
07-23-2019, 06:02 AM
I think Kyrie’s Dad is Dedric. This guy may be the best Dedric seen for a while.. welcome Dedric.

Big Empty
07-23-2019, 06:34 AM
Taller Malik Rose?

kobyz
07-23-2019, 07:21 AM
He always reminds me of David Lee with his play in college...

cutewizard
07-23-2019, 08:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDIpwFIYoxo

cutewizard
07-23-2019, 08:06 AM
omg a poor man's barkley!!!!

Gentlemen, we are STACKED!!!!!

cutewizard
07-23-2019, 08:08 AM
how can this guy go undrafted, hahahahaha

yyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppppppeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee

cutewizard
07-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Lumalaban to!!!!

Dedric Lawson is in the house!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mocwjngf2iE

cutewizard
07-23-2019, 08:16 AM
A cross between Barkley and Draymond

what an acquisition by the magnificent Spurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahahah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6MvvwloO7U

Duncan87
07-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Wonder if there signing a vet big man maybe Thomas Robinson???

cutewizard
07-23-2019, 08:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-NofwkEi8k

Dennis the Menace
07-23-2019, 08:36 AM
Poor man’s Lamarcus Aldridge. He lacks elite athletism but he’s a good well rounded basketball player with good range/stroke. From his interviews seems like a good character/locker room guy. Spurs might have a steal on their hands

cutewizard
07-23-2019, 08:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7hcO5CsA14

cutewizard
07-23-2019, 08:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgfP5JfAF6I

cutewizard
07-23-2019, 08:58 AM
Poor man’s Lamarcus Aldridge. He lacks elite athletism but he’s a good well rounded basketball player with good range/stroke. From his interviews seems like a good character/locker room guy. Spurs might have a steal on their hands

----------------------------------------------------------

agree

Truth4sale$
07-23-2019, 11:11 AM
I am happy to see the Spurs bringing in some prospects for training camp. At least it puts Metu on notice.
Unfortunately Lawson is a slow footed combo forward. Ben Moore has the athleticism and hustle but no offensive game. Lawson has an offensive game but he is slow amd unathletic. He can give you spot duty but dont expect more than that. But probably the best you can get at this point.

sasaint
07-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Thanks. He's one I forgo to look for this summer.

I watched him play a couple of times with Kansas. I thought he had an NBA-ready body, and could play the 4, even though he was listed as a combo forward. I don't think I ever saw him shoot a 3, but he got to the line a lot, and knocked down his FT's. I thought there was a good chance that someone would take a throw at him with a second round pick.

But I just checked his combine numbers. He's only 6'7" without shoes. He had some of the slowest sprint times at the combine this year, and he had the second worst standing vertical and the worst max vertical at the combine this year. A 6'7" guy with a standing vertical of 23.5" is going to struggle above the college level, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the combine numbers. They explain a lot. I watched him several times last season. The KU fans were pissed that he wasn’t the Big 12 POY over Culver. I thought he was an excellent college player but I had a hard time seeing him in the NBA - a little like Grant Williams.

ZeusWillJudge
07-23-2019, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the combine numbers. They explain a lot. I watched him several times last season. The KU fans were pissed that he wasn’t the Big 12 POY over Culver. I thought he was an excellent college player but I had a hard time seeing him in the NBA - a little like Grant Williams.

Yeah, his agility drill times aren't that big of a deal, and that can be improved. But his 3/4 court sprint time was third worst at the combine - the two guys above and the two below him were all Centers. That's a measure of raw speed, and he's just too slow to be a combo forward.

But man, that max vertical is bad. Like middle-aged white guy bad. I looked back at combine numbers all the way to '12-'13, and there have only been two players with worse verticals. One was Tacko Fall this year, and the other was a C named Dakari Johnson back in '15. But he's got a pretty long wingspan, and standing reach. And I just noticed that he had the third highest body fat % at the combine, so maybe he can get a little more athletic with conditioning and diet?

I don't hate the guy or the Spurs bringing him in. But it seems like he's going to have limited NBA use, the way the game is being played today. Which is probably why GSW passed after SL.

TheGreatYacht
07-23-2019, 03:16 PM
He’s basically a red state- welfare dependent version of Thaddeus Young tbh.

phxspurfan
07-23-2019, 11:30 PM
This guy seems beyond terrible. Like a DeJuan Blair w/o the athleticism, drive, youth or plus rebounding ability (average rebounder). We will do better with the post training camp cuts I think.

spurraider21
07-24-2019, 12:34 AM
somebody to push metu as a developmental 4. i like that.

cutewizard
07-24-2019, 03:41 AM
somebody to push metu as a developmental 4. i like that.

-------------------------

agree

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-24-2019, 06:08 AM
https://archive.commercialappeal.com/columnists/geoff-calkins/nba-combine-a-valuable-lesson-for-dedric-lawson-330f96f2-03f6-2fa6-e053-0100007f9351-379857751.html

His 12.48 lane agility was among the worst recorded. His three quarter court sprint and shuttle run were also among the absolute slowest of the combine. Let's hope his vertical numbers of 22.5 (one step) and 28.0 (max) were not enhanced. It's safe to say Lawson did not have a good showing in the athleticism testing and would have been best advised to skip it.

8' 10.5'' - standing reach
7' 2.5'' - wingspan
6' 8'' - with shoes

kind of like a Kyle Anderson without any skills.

or a Kawhi Leonard without bulk and athleticism (what's Kawhi's vertical numbers?)

He actually has pretty good footwork, a variety of post moves, knows how to seal off defenders, gets in good spots for rebounds, and has decent range on his jumper, although his mechanics on his long ball doesn’t look great. His athleticism is his Achilles heel and he hasn’t displayed a lot of passing ability. He makes up for some of his shortcomings with heady play, but that can only take you so far. If he had decent combine numbers, and was a little taller, he’d of been a top 15 pick, but he makes even an old Tim Duncan (2016 version) look athletic out there.

Maddog
07-24-2019, 06:34 AM
Camp fodder

Long shot to even get preseason minutes

exstatic
07-24-2019, 06:53 AM
Why are you guys not getting this?

HE IS A TRAINING CAMP BODY, AND A FUTURE AUSTIN SPUR.

Pavlov
07-24-2019, 07:20 AM
Why are you guys not getting this?

HE IS A TRAINING CAMP BODY, AND A FUTURE AUSTIN SPUR.:lol right?

Dudes are acting like we took him at #19. He'll be quite good as a G-League PF/C. Won't get in the way of the assignees.

bdictjames
07-24-2019, 12:46 PM
No one's talking how this guy looks like Roger Mason Jr.????

He really looks like RMJ.

Keepin' it real
07-24-2019, 04:49 PM
No one's talking how this guy looks like Roger Mason Jr.????

He really looks like RMJ.

I suppose we all look alike to you, right Costanza?

https://y.yarn.co/92ce1160-0b7f-43e9-b208-6e143f2020b9_screenshot.jpg

cutewizard
07-25-2019, 01:32 AM
Ok foddertootsipie

cutewizard
07-25-2019, 01:32 AM
Q could visit him and bestow some abilities

cutewizard
07-25-2019, 01:33 AM
So, he 8s a Q-visit away from becoming the best player in the nba

cutewizard
07-25-2019, 01:34 AM