PDA

View Full Version : Report: NBA opened investigation into free agency tampering

ducks
07-23-2019, 11:54 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-nba-opened-investigation-free-040043151.html

DAF86
07-24-2019, 12:08 AM
lol how do you prove this shit?

Also, every team and player have done it. I would bet my house on it.

Do you think RC and/or Pop haven't had "friendly talks" with Gay telling him: "you are going to stay with us next year, right?". People talk, it's just part of human nature.

NBA needs to cut it with all it's retarded ass rules (like "agreeing" to a contract instead of signing it) and come up with better rules that apply common sense, tbh.

DAF86
07-24-2019, 12:11 AM
Also, I love how they "opened investigation" once the Lakers got fucked, when this shit has been happening year after year. :lol

DJR210
07-24-2019, 12:32 AM
What are they gonna do, force social media sites to shut down? Anybody can message anyone now, it's gonna be hard to stop. LeBron has been tampering since he left Cleveland the 1st time.

99 Problems
07-24-2019, 01:06 AM
2ays nBa. :rollin

csy1911
07-24-2019, 01:15 AM
Knicks....:dizzy

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAM7oEfU4AA-MVP?format=png&name=small

tbdog
07-24-2019, 01:44 AM
Something like a 1.39 billion dollars of contracts were agreed upon before free agency even begun. Hopefully that puts in perspective how tampering is ignored.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-24-2019, 02:14 AM
They've never done anything against tampering and will not do anything this time as well. It benefits all sides - players, teams, NBA.

That said, it'd be fun if they single out someone to make a point for once.

Spurtacular
07-24-2019, 04:24 AM
Not even good enough for a dog and pony show, tbh.

Dverde
07-24-2019, 07:50 AM
The only thing I really have a problem with is the Knicks contacting a player with a public agreement. I don’t understand how that can be tolerated. Madam Silver blows ass as an enforcer.

lmbebo
07-24-2019, 07:57 AM
Silver is a push over to the players.

MultiTroll
07-24-2019, 09:15 AM
That said, it'd be fun if they single out someone to make a point for once.
Any chance they can single out Pattys 12:01 Fiddy Million and void the contract?! :hungry:

Keepin' it real
07-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Maybe they'll force Kenwi to pay back what he stole???!!!

r0drig0lac
07-24-2019, 09:26 AM
Also, I love how they "opened investigation" once the Lakers got fucked, when this shit has been happening year after year. :lol

sasaint
07-24-2019, 10:05 AM
Any chance they can single out Pattys 12:01 Fiddy Million and void the contract?! :hungry:

:lol

superbigtime
07-24-2019, 10:14 AM
Silver is as tough as he looks.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-24-2019, 10:19 AM

My thoughts too.

They are not going to do anything about it other than likely issue a blanket warning at the end of their "investigation". This whole saga keeps getting reported on NBA media outlets, and the discussion focusses on how great of a ratings boost all of the FA moves are, and how it keeps the league relevant in the off season. Silver likes this crap more than the games themselves, I think. High drama reality TV.

Ultimately the small market teams are going to be screwed, and the integrity of the league will suffer, but it's creating buzz, and buzz creates short term returns. Silver will turn a blind eye.

DPG21920
07-24-2019, 10:35 AM
1) It’s not tampering to talk to your own FA’s. So the examples of Rudy don’t make sense.

2) I don’t think the league minds what would be considered minor tampering - reaching out for a meeting, players talking that are friends, etc..That is too difficult to police and really hard to define.

What I think the NBA and owners have a serious problem is real tampering; as in collusion to screw teams over by players/agents/teams along with under the table deals (Uncle Dennis) designed to circumvent the CBA. That is what is being discussed here; not the “Lebron had dinner with CP3” stuff.

I absolutely think you will see some form of changes. I read that the NBA discussed seizing phone records and servers as a means to prove things along with interviewing all parties (players, agents and nba team staff).

I don’t know that we will see punishment for the stuff Clippers/Kawhi pulled all last season/this off season but I do think you see changes that at least define what tampering is more strictly, change rules that allow for it to be a more open process where all teams can partake equally, etc..

exstatic
07-24-2019, 10:48 AM
My thoughts too.

They are not going to do anything about it other than likely issue a blanket warning at the end of their "investigation". This whole saga keeps getting reported on NBA media outlets, and the discussion focusses on how great of a ratings boost all of the FA moves are, and how it keeps the league relevant in the off season. Silver likes this crap more than the games themselves, I think. High drama reality TV.

Ultimately the small market teams are going to be screwed, and the integrity of the league will suffer, but it's creating buzz, and buzz creates short term returns. Silver will turn a blind eye.

Short term solutions always fail in the long term.

Killakobe81
07-24-2019, 10:50 AM

Isn't about Lakers... Small market teams like Hornets and especially Bucks who are worried about losing Giannis... Requesting league to investigate.

YGWHI
07-24-2019, 11:12 AM
Isn't about Lakers... Small market teams like Hornets and especially Bucks who are worried about losing Giannis... Requesting league to investigate.

But if Bucks are worried about losing Giannis to Lakers in 2021 or if he would get illegal offers in CBA from big market teams, we should hear more about why AD got $4M for Space Jam II production just after he waived his $4M trade bonus.
But that's not the case. We're reading about only the Clippers offseason moves. I wonder why

It's always about the Lakers.

Dex
07-24-2019, 11:35 AM

Otherwise they would be long term solutions

Killakobe81
07-24-2019, 12:07 PM
But if Bucks are worried about losing Giannis to Lakers in 2021 or if he would get illegal offers in CBA from big market teams, we should hear more about why AD got $4M for Space Jam II production just after he waived his $4M trade bonus.
But that's not the case. We're reading about only the Clippers offseason moves. I wonder why

It's always about the Lakers.

Don't worry Kerr us going after the AD situation publicly but we all now he doing pop's dirty work and really speaking about Kawhi...
But tbh I agree unless in the last year of a contract and you don't plan to sign an extension... Because at least the team can recoup some assets in return...

Vic Petro
07-24-2019, 03:10 PM
It’s the under the table deals that could threaten the integrity of the game. If film and TV roles can be offered under the table it unfairly weights teams in markets that can offer that. If a plane can be offered under the table, it unfairly weights owners with the highest personal fortunes. The NBA will never stop teams from talking to agents and agreeing to contracts early, but it’s in their best interests to get this other stuff cleaned up.

Mr. Body
07-24-2019, 03:56 PM
Just shut the Knicks down and start a new franchise

superbigtime
07-24-2019, 04:18 PM

you forgot "Confucious say..."

dbestpro
07-24-2019, 11:06 PM
Fine 10% of a year's salary for a player or take away a teams first round draft pick and give it to the team who the free agent belonged to before he became a free agent.

What happened with George requesting a trade after Leonard singled him out is as bad as it gets. League should have made Leonard's FA signing null like they did Paul in the past.

coachmac87
07-24-2019, 11:41 PM
The NBA should treat tampering like the NFL treats domestic violence...

If there’s any evidence or a hint of wrong doing you best believe you’ll get some type of punishment...

The difference is we don’t need the proof or Videos that it happen...gossip and leaks will do the work

lmbebo
07-25-2019, 08:35 AM
Fine 10% of a year's salary for a player or take away a teams first round draft pick and give it to the team who the free agent belonged to before he became a free agent.

What happened with George requesting a trade after Leonard singled him out is as bad as it gets. League should have made Leonard's FA signing null like they did Paul in the past.

League doesn't care. Its good for "business" for LA to be a strong media market again. ESPN is happy about it and they paid billions for the rights....

Silver is weak and bends over to the players. I'd be surprised if anything happens of this investigation. Its just to placate small teams like us. It will mean nothing in the end.

Phenomanul
07-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Don't worry Kerr us going after the AD situation publicly but we all now he doing pop's dirty work and really speaking about Kawhi...
But tbh I agree unless in the last year of a contract and you don't plan to sign an extension... Because at least the team can recoup some assets in return...

I'm sure Uncle Dennis and Magic Johnson had discussions while Kawhi was still a member of the Spurs. I've read credible reports that indicate that the two were colluding and forming a plan that would move Kawhi to the Lakers before Bron joined them last season.

ZeusWillJudge
07-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Do you think RC and/or Pop haven't had "friendly talks" with Gay telling him: "you are going to stay with us next year, right?". People talk, it's just part of human nature.

Tampering is making any kind of move (even comment) toward a player under contract with another team. You can't tamper with your own player.

Chucho
07-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Tampering is making any kind of move (even comment) toward a player under contract with another team. You can't tamper with your own player.

:lol How'd he think that was tampering?

ZeusWillJudge
07-25-2019, 11:45 AM

He was desperate for an example that proves "everybody does it". Just got a little ahead of himself.

He's right about the moratorium rules. They're broken. And the league has gotten incredibly lax with the tampering in recent years. They didn't even give wrist slaps for a lot of incidents. If they were really concerned they would change the rules around verbal agreements, and make tampering hurt. They haven't done that, so it's fair to say they really don't want it to change.

koriwhat
07-25-2019, 12:13 PM
I'm sure Uncle Dennis and Magic Johnson had discussions while Kawhi was still a member of the Spurs. I've read credible reports that indicate that the two were colluding and forming a plan that would move Kawhi to the Lakers before Bron joined them last season.

i wouldn't doubt it.

tbdog
07-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Absolutely. However both overplayed their cards. Essentially once LeBron chose Lakers, the Lakers reduced the offer. Dennis leaked that Leonard now prefers Clippers. Lakers didn't bite. I have no doubt Dennis wanted Leonard in Lakers uniform without LeBron.

DAF86
07-25-2019, 04:52 PM

Didn't really know what the word meant. Multi-linguals' problems, tbh. I just assumed that, in the NBA context, it meant not making under the table arrangements before legally being allowed to.

He was desperate for an example that proves "everybody does it". Just got a little ahead of himself.

He's right about the moratorium rules. They're broken. And the league has gotten incredibly lax with the tampering in recent years. They didn't even give wrist slaps for a lot of incidents. If they were really concerned they would change the rules around verbal agreements, and make tampering hurt. They haven't done that, so it's fair to say they really don't want it to change.

Why would I be desperate for examples of tampering? There are plenty out there. :lol

I don't know if it constitutes tampering but back in 2008 when the Spurs traded Barry for Kurt Thomas and then signed Brent right back, I'm sure there was a pre-arrangement that must have broken some kind of rule, tbh.

ZeusWillJudge
07-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Why would I be desperate for examples of tampering? There are plenty out there. :lol

I don't know if it constitutes tampering You should just stop right there, TBH. You don't fucking know, but you say it anyway.

Because you said everybody does it, you ignorant fucktard. Then you used Gay as an example of how (you think) the Spurs have tampered. You don't know the rules, and you make shit up. Other than that, you're a great resource.

Also, every team and player have done it. I would bet my house on it.

Do you think RC and/or Pop haven't had "friendly talks" with Gay telling him: "you are going to stay with us next year, right?".

DAF86
07-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Because you said everybody does it, you ignorant fucktard. Then you used Gay as an example of how (you think) the Spurs have tampered. You don't know the rules, and you make shit up. Other than that, you're a great resource.

Damn, that excalated quickly :lol

Do you have some sort anger management issue, son? Not the first time I see you flip like that for what, honestly, on this forum is quite a tame exchange, tbh.