PDA

View Full Version : What To Do In San Antonio

djohn14
07-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Whats up guys? I haven't posted in quite sometime. Obviously I'm a huge Spurs fan, and I'm a big UFC fan as well. I use to post quite a bit in the MMA forum. Anyway, for the first time since I was a kid in the late 90's, I'll be heading to San Antonio.

My wife and I will be traveling down from Missouri for 4 nights, August 7-10. I was just wondering if any of you had some suggestions on what to do, eat, or see? Obviously theres the Alamo and the Riverwalk, but are there any hidden gems out there in terms of sights to see or places to eat? My wife is Mexican and was about an hour outside of Monterrey. We have yearly travels to her hometown and pass by San Antonio every time. I'm excited to go in and explore the city this time. Bonus points given for any tips for Mexican sites or authentic foods. We appreciate any and all feedback given

SpursforSix
07-25-2019, 04:14 PM
Whats up guys? I haven't posted in quite sometime. Obviously I'm a huge Spurs fan, and I'm a big UFC fan as well. I use to post quite a bit in the MMA forum. Anyway, for the first time since I was a kid in the late 90's, I'll be heading to San Antonio.

My wife and I will be traveling down from Missouri for 4 nights, August 7-10. I was just wondering if any of you had some suggestions on what to do, eat, or see? Obviously theres the Alamo and the Riverwalk, but are there any hidden gems out there in terms of sights to see or places to eat? My wife is Mexican and was about an hour outside of Monterrey. We have yearly travels to her hometown and pass by San Antonio every time. I'm excited to go in and explore the city this time. Bonus points given for any tips for Mexican sites or authentic foods. We appreciate any and all feedback given

This isn't exactly a hidden gem but a few months ago, we checked out the Hemisfair tower and had lunch at the restaurant that slowly turns. It was actually cooler than I thought it would be and the food was good.

baseline bum
07-25-2019, 05:06 PM
This isn't exactly a hidden gem but a few months ago, we checked out the Hemisfair tower and had lunch at the restaurant that slowly turns. It was actually cooler than I thought it would be and the food was good.

I liked it better when half the view was of the worst housing project in the city (Victoria Courts RIP).

baseline bum
07-25-2019, 05:16 PM
On a serious note, if you want really good BBQ hit up either Luling or Lockhart. In Lockhart Black's and Smitty's are first rate, in Luling there is a place called City Market that is outstanding. If you don't want to travel that far there is a place on West Ave called Two Brothers that has outstanding brisket, but everything else is pretty average there. I find Black's, Smitty's, City Market, and Two Bros to be pretty comparable on brisket. For sausage City Market and Smitty's are god tier, Black's is pretty good, and Two Bros isn't very good. For ribs City Market, Black's, and Smitty's are all really good. Also don't expect to hit up those places and get the meat you want at dinner time, they can run out late in the day. There is another really famous place in Lockhart called Kreuz Market that's also pretty beloved, but I haven't eaten there and can't comment.

baseline bum
07-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Also if you want a great local beer, Busted Sandal's El Robosuto Porter is killer.

djohn14
07-25-2019, 06:51 PM
I appreciate the responses guys! Sounds like one day we will have lunch at the Hemisfair, and I'll absolutely hit up one of the BBQ joints too, probably for the brisket.

baseline bum
07-25-2019, 06:58 PM
I appreciate the responses guys! Sounds like one day we will have lunch at the Hemisfair, and I'll absolutely hit up one of the BBQ joints too, probably for the brisket.

Spursforsix is fucking with you I think. I ate there once and it was cafeteria food with a sweeping view of housing projects. I think that area has been redeveloped to be only partly public housing now though.

Millennial_Messiah
07-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Summertime? Not as much because it's so hot and sticky, but there's always great Mexican food. Avoid eating at any national chain places. My favorites for Mexican are are El Rodeo De Jalisco (2 locations on the far W side, on Potranco) and Taqueria Garibaldi (2 locations on the W side by Military and Lackland area). Apetitos (by John Jay HS on Marbach Road) is just as good but the prices are a bit steep for SA Meixcan.

Seriously. There are gem's everywhere. Also Bud Jones on the SW side has very good and inexpensive American food with great portion sizes and sometimes all you can eat chicken fried steak and fried codfish specials. JAnthony's Seafood on the NW side by Loop 410 is great Mexican seafood, a little pricey but not if you're used to Dallas/other metro prices.

And since it is summertime you should definitely hit up Sea World - within walking distance of my house growing up - if you've never been before.

SpursforSix
07-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Spursforsix is fucking with you I think. I ate there once and it was cafeteria food with a sweeping view of housing projects. I think that area has been redeveloped to be only partly public housing now though.

No...I wasn’t kidding at all. I took my daughter and it was pretty cool checking out the view. Especially when it rotated where we could see the Riverwalk area. We’d pick out or hotel or the different things we saw on the RW boat ride. Some of the views weren’t as good but it rotated a couple of full times while we ate.

And it definitely wasn’t cafeteria food. Maybe they changed the restaurant since you’ve been. I think it’s run by the Landry’s group now. It wasn’t a 4 star meal but was very good. Plus when you eat at the restaurant, you get free tickets to the lookout area.

If he’s taking the family, I definitely recommend it. As touristy as it seems, it was worth doing.

Millennial_Messiah
07-25-2019, 08:02 PM
No...I wasn’t kidding at all. I took my daughter and it was pretty cool checking out the view. Especially when it rotated where we could see the Riverwalk area. We’d pick out or hotel or the different things we saw on the RW boat ride. Some of the views weren’t as good but it rotated a couple of full times while we ate.

And it definitely wasn’t cafeteria food. Maybe they changed the restaurant since you’ve been. I think it’s run by the Landry’s group now. It wasn’t a 4 star meal but was very good. Plus when you eat at the restaurant, you get free tickets to the lookout area.

If he’s taking the family, I definitely recommend it. As touristy as it seems, it was worth doing.

Bingo. You have a daughter and you're posting on a message board with Larry on it?

baseline bum
07-25-2019, 08:57 PM

Shit, my bad. :lol

BD24
07-25-2019, 10:00 PM
Check out the Pearl and Southtown. Lots of good restaurants and bars in those areas. Not quite as touristy as the riverwalk

Millennial_Messiah
07-25-2019, 10:18 PM
Check out the Pearl and Southtown. Lots of good restaurants and bars in those areas. Not quite as touristy as the riverwalk

also check out the houses in Edgewood, Harlandale and the neighborhoods off Houston street just west of the AT&T center, for a real authentic taste of SA culture.

pgardn
07-25-2019, 10:20 PM

Si

What he said.

BD24
07-25-2019, 10:52 PM
also check out the houses in Edgewood, Harlandale and the neighborhoods off Houston street just west of the AT&T center, for a real authentic taste of SA culture.
Don’t listen to this faggot.

Spurtacular
07-25-2019, 10:55 PM

You're sure you're not a Rockets fan?

phxspurfan
07-29-2019, 04:16 PM

SA has changed a lot since the 90s. The area at 1604/281 is now the best, but pretty suburban. I liked the Japanese Tea Garden downtown when I was a kid. Not sure if they've kept it up, but it's free. La Villita for random cheap souvenir goods, like a big red sombrero. The main public library downtown has pretty interesting architecture, and is also free ofc. For entertainment, the Santikos Palladium at the Rim (I-10/1604 area, NW) is nice, and there's a Top Golf there for a brew if you like driving ranges, beer and TVs. For BBQ, I usually go to Rudy's at I-10 and Boerne Stage Rd (far NW). Longhorn Cafe is still decent there too.

Chucho
07-29-2019, 04:26 PM
The Whitte Museum has grown leaps and bounds since I left the city. Looks worthy of being a large city's main museum. The dinosaur exhibit last summer was very, very awesome and the renovation was well done.

The Missions are worth checking out, very cool to see some of the oldest buildings still standing in the country.

El Mercado is fun, even on a slow summer day. A whitewashed flea market for tourists, but fun.

The one thing to remember about San Antonio; the more expensive the Mexican food is, the more likely it is to be inferior white man TexMex. If it looks gross on the outside, go the fuck in to be honest.

baseline bum
07-29-2019, 04:30 PM
SA has changed a lot since the 90s. The area at 1604/281 is now the best, but pretty suburban. I liked the Japanese Tea Garden downtown when I was a kid. Not sure if they've kept it up, but it's free. La Villita for random cheap souvenir goods, like a big red sombrero. The main public library downtown has pretty interesting architecture, and is also free ofc. For entertainment, the Santikos Palladium at the Rim (I-10/1604 area, NW) is nice, and there's a Top Golf there for a brew if you like driving ranges, beer and TVs. For BBQ, I usually go to Rudy's at I-10 and Boerne Stage Rd (far NW). Longhorn Cafe is still decent there too.

Rudy's is fucking terrible. If you want chewy flavorless brisket with lots of unrendered fat that's your place I guess.

clambake
07-29-2019, 04:37 PM
if you are flying in..........take the next flight to cali.

phxspurfan
07-29-2019, 04:50 PM
Rudy's is fucking terrible. If you want chewy flavorless brisket with lots of unrendered fat that's your place I guess.

What's the best? When I'm in SA I'm basically a tourist now, since it's changed so much.

Capt Bringdown
07-29-2019, 05:16 PM
San Antonio Current Reader's Poll: Best of List (food & Drink) --> (https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio/BestOf?category=2240658&year=2018)

phxspurfan
07-29-2019, 05:16 PM
The one thing to remember about San Antonio; the more expensive the Mexican food is, the more likely it is to be inferior white man TexMex. If it looks gross on the outside, go the fuck in to be honest.

The definition of ugly outside, bomb inside (at least used to be, no guarantees)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-gallito-de-jalisco-san-antonio-2

phxspurfan
07-29-2019, 05:18 PM
I also liked Mama Margie's for fajitas and frozen margaritas:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mama-margies-san-antonio-9

Chucho
07-29-2019, 05:21 PM
The definition of ugly outside, bomb inside (at least used to be, no guarantees)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-gallito-de-jalisco-san-antonio-2

I was born and raised in Alamo Heights, so I knew that if I ever saw loads of rich people at Mexican joints in the North Side, it's not good. It really worked and I think the best Mexican joint I ate at was this hole in the wall, filthy ass place near the Elizan courts. The family that owned/operated the place lived literally next door and had a screen door separating their living quarters from the dining room so you could hear them watching their Friday night TV shows while you were eating. Fucking ay, it was delicious.

Big Empty
07-29-2019, 06:06 PM
If u want to cool off head up to Boerne Lake or the Guadelupe River to drink a few and take a dip. You can find good Mexican food downtown at Mi Tierra or in uptown at Papacitos. You want to shoot the sh&t head on over to top golf & hit some balls with a waitress bringing cold beer. Pref in the morning as its too hot by noon.

baseline bum
07-29-2019, 06:07 PM
What's the best? When I'm in SA I'm basically a tourist now, since it's changed so much.

Two Bros had really good brisket and pretty average everything else. For sausage and ribs I'd go to Luling or Lockhart to some of the places I recommended above.

Biernutz
07-29-2019, 06:16 PM
This isn't about food but It's a FREE show and something you don't want to miss. A Lazer light show with music about
the history of San Antonio that is projected on the walls of the San Fernando Cathedral that is next to the court house. As far
as I know they have shows, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights at 9:00, 9:30 and 10:00 PM...From what I understand the guy
who did this show is working to do one on the Alamo.

baseline bum
07-29-2019, 06:23 PM
If u want to cool off head up to Boerne Lake or the Guadelupe River to drink a few and take a dip. You can find good Mexican food downtown at Mi Tierra or in uptown at Papacitos. You want to shoot the sh&t head on over to top golf & hit some balls with a waitress bringing cold beer. Pref in the morning as its too hot by noon.

Yeah tubing the Guadalupe is a lot of fun and a great way to beat the summer heat.

pgardn
07-29-2019, 06:40 PM

The clammer body-slamming our fine city...

Chucho
07-29-2019, 06:48 PM
Do people still cruise Military Dr. on Sundays?

Millennial_Messiah
07-29-2019, 07:04 PM

That was a thing?

That street gets pretty ghetto on the SW side.

Millennial_Messiah
07-29-2019, 07:05 PM

Mi Tierra and El Chaparral (NW side by La Cantera) are good if you want to pay more for the ambiance. If you want the same quality but mediocre ambiance for REALLY cheap there are a ton of other places tbh.

Chucho
07-29-2019, 07:15 PM
Even with the "ambience", Mi Tierra is still a white-washed cracker ass Mexican joint that is more of a tourist trap than a good eatery, tbh.

Chucho
07-29-2019, 07:16 PM
That was a thing?

That street gets pretty ghetto on the SW side.

Man, you must never have lived in San Antonio.

BD24
07-29-2019, 07:31 PM
If you get really bored you can always fuck Andy’s mom. Heard she gives A+ mouth hugs from my nigga SFS

benefactor
07-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Man, you must never have lived in San Antonio.
Andrew is afraid of everything. Ghetto to him is probably and average neighborhood tbh

leemajors
07-29-2019, 07:53 PM

2M smokehouse is supposed to be pretty good.

Chucho
07-29-2019, 08:50 PM
Andrew is afraid of everything. Ghetto to him is probably and average neighborhood tbh

He's probably never stepped 1 foot east of the MLK bridge.

Chucho
07-29-2019, 08:50 PM
If you get really bored you can always fuck Andy’s mom. Heard she gives A+ mouth hugs from my nigga SFS

Probably gots no teef.

Millennial_Messiah
07-29-2019, 08:51 PM
Even with the "ambience", Mi Tierra is still a white-washed cracker ass Mexican joint that is more of a tourist trap than a good eatery, tbh.

I agree though... not sure about white washed, but it's definitely like Christmas all year round inside. Prices are still relatively reasonable for a tourist trap, though. Basically Dallas prices instead of your routine SA prices. But their portion sizes are always excellent.

Millennial_Messiah
07-29-2019, 09:00 PM

There are obviously different levels of ghetto. There is ghetto like Houston street just west of the AT&T center... Edgewood area by Old Highway 90, parts of South San, and parts of the SW side by Military/Marbach, John Jay HS, Pinn Road, etc. Some are worse than others. In DFW you have parts of Dallas that are bad, the suburbs are mostly clean though.

In Dallas you have the upper NW tip of Far North Dallas that is bad because of the nearby tollways and lack of police in the area, cheap apts. etc., Vickery Meadow which is downright bad and full of impoverished foreign scum (and Ebola), and Deep Ellum area by Malcolm X street and the DART East Transfer center, full of black hoboes living on the streets and begging for money to get drugs.

Heck, when I was in Ohio. Cincinnati's east of downtown area is horrid... Columbus's Hilltop area west of downtown is like a third world country out there. Manhattan, famously, has Harlem. Detroit's East side, etc.

I'd want to live in none of those places.

Big Empty
07-29-2019, 09:35 PM
Yea to be honest if i had a gun to my head i’d choose Henrys Puffy Tacos. Best tortilla soup in town along with the cheese enchilada plate with beef fajitas! Comes with a free nap and under 30 bucks for all that! U dont like soup then get the fajita nachos as ur appetizer. :)

Death In June
07-30-2019, 09:13 AM
The Pearl District has a lot of good places to drink and eat. If you need a place to stay, The Emma is the best hotel in San Antonio IMO.

Millennial_Messiah
07-30-2019, 04:30 PM
Yea to be honest if i had a gun to my head i’d choose Henrys Puffy Tacos. Best tortilla soup in town along with the cheese enchilada plate with beef fajitas! Comes with a free nap and under 30 bucks for all that! U dont like soup then get the fajita nachos as ur appetizer. :)
that's 2 party fouls, better hit the pine now so you don't pick up your 3rd early in the first quarter.

07-30-2019, 06:11 PM
:lol

DJR210
07-30-2019, 08:43 PM

The food is pretty good since it became Chart House.. just expensive

DJR210
07-30-2019, 08:45 PM

Hell yeah.. far right lane FTW. I got hoodrats picking up their skirts and shoving their ass in my window

SpursforSix
07-31-2019, 09:50 AM
The food is pretty good since it became Chart House.. just expensive

Sure. But you're also getting the free pass to the observation area as well as the pretty cool rotating view while you eat.

MultiTroll
07-31-2019, 11:06 AM
How about if you go over to SpursforSix (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49684) and watch a doc?
Then after spending the night together you could both go to IHOP.

SpursforSix
07-31-2019, 11:59 AM
How about if you go over to SpursforSix (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49684) and watch a doc?

Or we could take turns fucking your mom while she eats nachos.

Anyway, I don't live in SA so your fantasy is moot.

MultiTroll
07-31-2019, 12:59 PM
Or we could take turns fucking your mom while she eats nachos.

Anyway, I don't live in SA so your fantasy is moot.
We've been over this before.
Your wanting to have sex with an urn is creepy.

SpursforSix
07-31-2019, 01:26 PM

So I don't live in San Antonio and your mom isn't alive.
Seems like we're even in errors.

MultiTroll
07-31-2019, 06:24 PM
So I don't live in San Antonio and your mom isn't alive.
Seems like we're even in errors.
Could you swing over to SA and hook up with dj when he's in town?

Chucho
07-31-2019, 08:08 PM

You keeping your mom's remains in your home is even more creepy considering all the creepy things you've said here. Explains a lot, tho.

gambit1990
07-31-2019, 08:56 PM
#1 option of what to do in san antonio is drive to austin tbh.

SpursforSix
07-31-2019, 08:56 PM

That’s a gay as fuck thing that you’re thinking about.

MultiTroll
07-31-2019, 09:30 PM
That’s a gay as fuck thing that you’re thinking about.
tailor suited.

SpursforSix
07-31-2019, 09:45 PM
tailor suited.

So you admit your fantasy is to have a straight white guy and a straight black guy meet up and have gay sex in San Antonio?

DJR210
07-31-2019, 09:45 PM

SMH.. what a faggot

MultiTroll
07-31-2019, 09:49 PM
So you admit your fantasy is to have a straight white guy and a straight black guy meet up and have gay sex in San Antonio?
No it's your fantasy.

MultiTroll
07-31-2019, 09:51 PM
I'm a faggot
:lol Self loather #2 right on cue.

SpursforSix
07-31-2019, 09:52 PM
No it's your fantasy.

You literally just asked for it.

SpursforSix
07-31-2019, 09:53 PM

MultiTroll
07-31-2019, 10:05 PM
Usually I don't like Brian Johnson covers of Bon Scott.
But this one is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcQPJjuGbXU