PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Daniels. “We decided if we lost this game pop was gone”

blizz
07-27-2019, 12:15 AM
After the KL/PG article.
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/ex-spur-daniels-discusses-how-close-popovich-was-going-to-be-fired

K...
07-27-2019, 07:47 AM
this isn't new at all

"According to former San Antonio Spurs guard Antonio Daniels, early in the NBA lockout season of 1998-1999"

Twisted_Dawg
07-27-2019, 08:02 AM
So, the players could have ordered Gen. McDermott to fire Pop?

baseline bum
07-27-2019, 08:17 AM
I thought it was common knowledge that win in Houston saved Pop's job after an incredibly embarrassing loss on NBC to Utah. David gave a big rallying speech before the Houston game that it was an absolute must win, and damn the team responded. Pop was about to get replaced by Doc Rivers, who had unofficially worked with some of the team during the lockout. There were also a lot of rumors about the Spurs getting ready to trade David to Portland for Rasheed Wallace.

Keepin' it real
07-27-2019, 09:29 AM
So did they lose???

Maddog
07-27-2019, 10:50 AM
So did they lose???

You're kidding?
They won.
Went 19-4 then finished the regular season on a 12-1 tear then 15-2 in the playoffs.
Counting the playoffs finished 46-7.
They where dominant.

ZeusWillJudge
07-27-2019, 10:56 AM
People who want to make their living singing should be able to carry a tune. And people who want to make their living writing should be able to write a coherent sentence. I'm sorry, but that is one of the worst-written pieces of crap I've ever read on a newspaper website.

"Tim Duncan played over 40 minutes in the win and rallied 23 points, 14 total rebound, and 5 rebounds."

"He will stay with the Spurs after his current deal expired but how many season left does he has left in his tank remains to be seen."

paperboy77
07-27-2019, 11:56 AM
People who want to make their living singing should be able to carry a tune. And people who want to make their living writing should be able to write a coherent sentence. I'm sorry, but that is one of the worst-written pieces of crap I've ever read on a newspaper website.

"Tim Duncan played over 40 minutes in the win and rallied 23 points, 14 total rebound, and 5 rebounds."

"He will stay with the Spurs after his current deal expired but how many season left does he has left in his tank remains to be seen."

If that guy can write for a paper and get paid anyone can.

Dex
07-27-2019, 12:26 PM

Even the opening line is crap:

Gregg Popovich will retire on his own time but you may not have known he was close to losing his job.

Way to shortchange one of the greatest coaches of all time and turn an interesting, surprising fact into something that just completely falls flat.

phxspurfan
07-27-2019, 12:39 PM
Pop was about to get replaced by Doc Rivers

Good coach tbh

the Spurs getting ready to trade David to Portland for Rasheed Wallace

Good trade idea tbh

Dex
07-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Good trade idea tbh

If Spurs had made that trade, Wallace wouldn't have ended up on two of the biggest posters in Spurs history. Pass.

Vito Corleone
07-27-2019, 01:42 PM
This city would have flipped out if the Spurs tried to trade Robinson.

lefty
07-27-2019, 01:50 PM
So Timmy bailed out Pop

SHOCKER

phxspurfan
07-27-2019, 01:52 PM
This city would have flipped out if the Spurs tried to trade Robinson.

He was at the end of his career. Could have still retired a Spur once Portland realized they got a dude with a 50 year old back.

jhfenton
07-27-2019, 02:38 PM
I thought it was common knowledge that win in Houston saved Pop's job after an incredibly embarrassing loss on NBC to Utah.

It was. That article was embarrassing.

Ocotillo
07-27-2019, 02:47 PM
He was at the end of his career. Could have still retired a Spur once Portland realized they got a dude with a 50 year old back.

Actually when word got out they were stiffing Robinson to make a run at CWebb one time, the city revolted and DRob was brought back.

Mikeanaro
07-27-2019, 05:13 PM
Great IF story, Daniels is irrelevant and will always be.