PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgic game of the day - 2003 - Spurs @ Lakers - Rodeo Road Trip

Millennial_Messiah
07-29-2019, 02:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq1K40P3Nvo

Spurs on a long winning streak in their first ever rodeo road trip. Halfway through a Spurs championship season, but the Spurs were only in 5th place in the West at the time.

Witness the greatness of Prime Timmy and Prime Kobe in action. Two of the greatest 5 players in NBA history at their very best in the same game.

Also fun to watch through the video and the state of the league at the time, reminisce how ESPN ambiance was like, hear Tom Tolbert's funny-isms and Tirico (who was always better than boring-ass Mike Breen, and great at football; ESPN lost their best one) and even watch the commercials that were nationally televised in a better, less PC, less scaredy-cat, less "woke" and less "triggered" society and time in American media history. Also, flip phone commercials and those old cars you see on Craigslist... what they looked like when they were new.

Enjoy :hat

TimmyBuckets
07-29-2019, 03:30 PM
OP I did not check previous threads to see if you posted this type of thread before, but if you are planning on making "Nostalgic game of the day" an ongoing thing, I am all for it. 10/10 thread

KimmyGib
07-29-2019, 04:31 PM
OP I did not check previous threads to see if you posted this type of thread before, but if you are planning on making "Nostalgic game of the day" an ongoing thing, I am all for it. 10/10 thread

Seconded.

This game has it all, including a TP slam dunk. Thanks OP.

ginobilized
07-29-2019, 04:44 PM
Forgot about Carlesimo on the bench. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

MultiTroll
07-29-2019, 04:54 PM
#25 Steve Kerr lol.

Capt Bringdown
07-29-2019, 04:57 PM
Where's the Admiral?

Dex
07-29-2019, 05:00 PM
Where's the Admiral?

Didn't travel...was getting an injection on his hurt knee.

Joseph Kony
07-29-2019, 05:04 PM
wow so stuff there were commercials for things that were new in 2003? groundbreaking stuff

Seventyniner
07-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Ugh I hated the low nameplates on those uniforms.

Dex
07-29-2019, 06:13 PM
Ugh I hated the low nameplates on those uniforms.

I never noticed this, and now it is something I will never be able to un-see. :dizzy

BD24
07-29-2019, 07:33 PM
This faggot throwing out the bait by calling Kobe a top 5 player of all time :lol

Arcadian
07-29-2019, 08:08 PM
Do you rank Kobe above Shaq in the all time rankings? I don't.

Duncan > Shaq > Kobe

Mr. Body
07-29-2019, 08:17 PM
Kobe ain't a top 5 player. Shaq was better than him anyway.

Tom Tolbert fucking sucked. He was terrible.

I loved that 2003 team.

Mr. Body
07-29-2019, 08:24 PM
Great to see hard-nosed, post-play basketball.

Parker was such a game-changer. Choads hate him on this board, but he transformed this team.

paperboy77
07-29-2019, 09:32 PM

+1

Really appreciate this. Absolutely loved that NBA.

BillMc
07-30-2019, 08:20 AM

Duncan > Shaq > Kobe

This.

Kobe shot a not terribly impressive percentage despite the other team double and sometimes triple teaming Shaq. Kobe is bottom of top 20, if that.

San Antonio Slayer
07-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Kobe is the 2nd shooting guard in the history and he could score 40 on Bowen, Artest and Battier easily just like in this game. I remember one game 2 seasons before retirement how young Kawhi couldn't handle his elder version. I hate the lakers but I do respect his offensive skills.

Floyd Pacquiao
07-30-2019, 11:14 AM
Tony with his 1st dunk of his career at 1:54

KimmyGib
07-31-2019, 01:40 AM

Duncan > Shaq > Kobe

Agreed, which puts Kobe as the Laker's all-time 6th best player :lol

Wilt
Kareem
Magic
Shaq
Lebron

-----

Kobe

Dex
07-31-2019, 09:03 AM
Agreed, which puts Kobe as the Laker's all-time 6th best player :lol

Wilt
Kareem
Magic
Shaq
Lebron

-----

Kobe

Lebron hasn't done shit for the Lakers, he has no place being on a list of their all-time greats.

Millennial_Messiah
07-31-2019, 11:55 AM
#25 Steve Kerr lol.

Only because Claxton was still on the shelf with that bad injury he suffered in the 3rd game of the season. He didn't come back until the Indy home game post-RRT. At this point of the season, Pop had figured out that Anthony Goldwire was trash and just went with Kerr/Manu as the combo backup PG until Claxton returned.

Millennial_Messiah
07-31-2019, 12:00 PM
Tony with his 1st dunk of his career at 1:54

Nope. The Seattle home game in mid November was his first career dunk. Put us up 20 early in the 4th quarter. Sonics came back and won that particular game by 1 point thanks to Brent Barry, ironically enough. Barry made the GW 3-pointer to beat the Spurs in Tony's first dunk game. Hmmm, maybe Tony remembered that one a little too much :lol

I'm the ultimate master of 2003 & 2005 trivia. Don't ask me about 1999, though... too young.

Millennial_Messiah
07-31-2019, 12:04 PM

I was going to post a bunch of 2003 and 2005 games... my favorite 2 years in Spurs history... but can't find 'em anymore on Youtube for the most part. There was a guy on here who allegedly had 81/82 of the 2002-03 season and playoff games (I think the November '02 game at Philly wasn't televised for some reason) plus a lot of random games from other seasons, but I lost the account.

Millennial_Messiah
07-31-2019, 12:11 PM
Kobe ain't a top 5 player. Shaq was better than him anyway.

Tom Tolbert fucking sucked. He was terrible.

I loved that 2003 team.
People lest not forget, the Spurs were NOT particularly good in the 2002 part of the 2002-03 regular season... they were about on par with today's Spurs, tbh :lol but they really turned it on in the RRT and beyond.

I think there was a point in time around New Year's that year that a lot of us Spurs fans just began to accept that the Spurs just weren't simply good enough to contend that year, were sad for David but excited for the further development of TP, SJ, Manu etc but accepted that the Spurs were a first round out, possibly second round if we got lucky in 2003.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2003_games.html

Chomag
07-31-2019, 02:22 PM
Lol Tony's dunk

Mr. Body
07-31-2019, 03:09 PM
People lest not forget, the Spurs were NOT particularly good in the 2002 part of the 2002-03 regular season... they were about on par with today's Spurs, tbh :lol but they really turned it on in the RRT and beyond.

I think there was a point in time around New Year's that year that a lot of us Spurs fans just began to accept that the Spurs just weren't simply good enough to contend that year, were sad for David but excited for the further development of TP, SJ, Manu etc but accepted that the Spurs were a first round out, possibly second round if we got lucky in 2003.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2003_games.html

Duncan was awesome, but there were enough scrappy players on the team who could contribute. D-Rob still had bits left, Malik was hard-nosed, Parker transformed a backcourt that couldn't even get the ball across the timeline against Kobe's defense, Manu was starting to make plays off the bench, and then Stephen Jackson was a wild card. They had to depend on deep bench guys like Kerr in the playoffs, but it was a super-fun ride.

Millennial_Messiah
07-31-2019, 03:13 PM
Duncan was awesome, but there were enough scrappy players on the team who could contribute. D-Rob still had bits left, Malik was hard-nosed, Parker transformed a backcourt that couldn't even get the ball across the timeline against Kobe's defense, Manu was starting to make plays off the bench, and then Stephen Jackson was a wild card. They had to depend on deep bench guys like Kerr in the playoffs, but it was a super-fun ride.

It was a super fun ride indeed, against premium competition too unlike in '99.

There's no denying that team was mediocre the first 2+ months of the season, but that was part of the fun.