PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else now excited to have Lyles?

Fusternino
07-29-2019, 09:26 PM
Feels like another Diaw situation the more I think about it. Guy with all the physical tools, point forward, super inconsistent play year to year.

tmtcsc
07-29-2019, 09:44 PM
Feels like another Diaw situation the more I think about it.

I'm honestly not sure if you're serious. Boris Diaw was a talented, hell of a player who struggled staying in shape. His BB IQ was off the charts, could post up, play PG, shoot the three, rebound. Ok, I'm stopping now.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5t9wJjyHAOxvnxcPNk/giphy.gif

timtonymanu
07-29-2019, 09:51 PM
Close this thread tbh

Same shit when people overrated Fathead and called him the next Diaw

FkLA
07-29-2019, 10:23 PM
No.

RD2191
07-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Close this thread tbh

sananspursfan21
07-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Well, for whatever it’s worth, a lot of San Antonio media is optimistic about having him here. Fwiw tbh lol idk

Poolboy5623
07-29-2019, 10:50 PM
He's better than nothing...kind of.

buttsR4rebounding
07-29-2019, 10:58 PM
Would have rather signed Singleton, so no.

cd021
07-29-2019, 11:11 PM
Weird comp, tbh.

Atl Spur
07-29-2019, 11:12 PM
I like him here. I trust Patfo

wildcardX
07-29-2019, 11:48 PM
Feels like another Diaw situation the more I think about it. Guy with all the physical tools, point forward, super inconsistent play year to year.

I hope you're right that it's a Diaw situation and not an Ayres situation. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

TimmyBuckets
07-29-2019, 11:50 PM
He's still a #12 pick. I think its mainly his work ethic. If he doesn't even work hard in this organization, he's a definite bust. I'm leaning toward this guy sucking and being worthless. Hope I'm wrong.

ZeusWillJudge
07-30-2019, 12:08 AM
Diaw started out as a point guard, and even his first couple of years in the NBA he played a lot of his time at the 2. A best case scenario for Lyles still doesn't have him looking anything like Boris Diaw.

I'll be satisfied if this time next year we aren't comparing him to Jackie Butler.

phxspurfan
07-30-2019, 01:09 AM
ZBcr-0B4zEo

phxspurfan
07-30-2019, 01:10 AM
PQdmVfUSigo

phxspurfan
07-30-2019, 01:14 AM
DhvPA4ySc_Q

superbigtime
07-30-2019, 06:17 AM
As excited as I was for Ayres. And sux to lose the Laser.

BillMc
07-30-2019, 07:54 AM
DhvPA4ySc_Q

Damn.

Not that Davis was the be-all and end-all but sucks to lose him for no reason at all (thanks to Morris), especially as the team needs outside shooting.

mexicanjunior
07-30-2019, 08:04 AM
Lyles is trash...

Atl Spur
07-30-2019, 08:25 AM
Lyles is trash...

Trash? I hope you are wrong. I liked Bertans but he just didn’t have the correct body type for the position ( PF ) we need him to play. Lyles may surprise u guys.

jermaine
07-30-2019, 08:30 AM
I'm excited to see him. Hopefully he can be a big piece we need to win a championship

MarCowMar
07-30-2019, 08:58 AM
The only thing I'm excited about is Morris being completely miserable with the Knicks.

Hopefully Bobby Portis manifests the action we're all thinking...

Dex
07-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Lyles didn't really get a fair shake because people around here will always compare him to Morris and Bertans. I think perception would have been different if he had been just another late-offseason pickup.

Time will tell if he ends up being a good grab or not. He has well underperformed his draft value thus far in his career, but he still has time to turn things around.

look_at_g_shred
07-30-2019, 09:05 AM
Low risk. High reward. Like a guy you draft in the late rounds of a fantasy draft. Drafting for upside tbh

look_at_g_shred
07-30-2019, 09:06 AM
I do wonder however how much affect TD will have on TL. There's got to be some admiration there. Maybe Timmy gets the best out of our guys. Who knows. I would bet anything regarding the GOAT though.

Degoat
07-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Lyles does work on NBA 2k19 at least lol

vavvi
07-30-2019, 09:33 AM
Close this thread tbh

Fathead is much closer to Diaw tbh

KobesAchilles
07-30-2019, 10:03 AM
I’ve literally never seen him play before... Can he play any D? Bc he’s gonna be paired with Mills, Lonnie, and Marco the majority of the time.

rjv
07-30-2019, 10:10 AM
He's still a #12 pick. I think its mainly his work ethic. If he doesn't even work hard in this organization, he's a definite bust. I'm leaning toward this guy sucking and being worthless. Hope I'm wrong.

John B
07-30-2019, 10:12 AM
A lottery pick and has all the tools to be a very good basketball player, if he chooses to come to work with positive attitude. This is his 3rd team in 4 years. There’s not a better team to maximize his potential. I hope it pans out. Very low risk with great upsides.

John B
07-30-2019, 10:16 AM
I’ve literally never seen him play before... Can he play any D? Bc he’s gonna be paired with Mills, Lonnie, and Marco the majority of the time.
Tbh I was expecting any of Mills, Beli or Bertans to be gone. I was hoping it was Beli and not Bertans though.

TimDunkem
07-30-2019, 10:51 AM
Well, for whatever it’s worth, a lot of San Antonio media is optimistic about having him here. Fwiw tbh lol idk

Since when does SA media know anything?

hater
07-30-2019, 11:07 AM
Who?

superbigtime
07-30-2019, 11:35 AM
Not much to be excited about w him.

sananspursfan21
07-30-2019, 11:43 AM
Since when does SA media know anything?

Dunno *shrugs*

SpurPadre
07-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Austin Daye 2.0 tbh.

PHComassetto
07-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Nope. Zero expectations from me.

Chinook
07-30-2019, 01:14 PM
I'm not "excited", but I think they got him at an decent enough deal. Deeks has Lyles as being completely non-guaranteed next season. The APY isn't good, but essentially having a team option for another year is pretty good. He and Beli can both be thought of as expiring contracts, so that gives the Spurs some matching power if they need to make a trade. Depending on the guarantee date (HoopsWorld is saying 06-30, but they also think he has a guarantee next season, which Deeks and Spotrac don't agree with) he could be a guy who competes with Samanic for minutes or even replaces Poeltl if he has the second-year bump a lot of vets do in SA.

I'm still not sad about Bertans. Obviously, Morris screwed SA over by making them trade Bertans for nothing. But Davis actually not being on the team isn't a big deal. We already knew how good he was, and that wasn't good enough. Spamming highlight videos or using on-off stats -- just no. He wasn't winning games for the Spurs last year. He wasn't their most impactful player. Very few posters here thought that last year, and Bertans being gone now doesn't change that. He and Beli were the easiest spots to upgrade in the rotation. They didn't do that because of Morris, and that sucks, but they lost their 10th man, not their sixth or a starter. There's a good chance that any of the new players or Walker slides in and takes that spot without much issue.

Arcadian
07-30-2019, 01:26 PM
I need to see him play first.

Solid D
07-30-2019, 01:39 PM
I'm honestly not sure if you're serious. Boris Diaw was a talented, hell of a player who struggled staying in shape. His BB IQ was off the charts, could post up, play PG, shoot the three, rebound. Ok, I'm stopping now.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5t9wJjyHAOxvnxcPNk/giphy.gif

Boris’ BBIQ was indeed high. Unfortunately his BBQ outweighed his BBIQ

BackHome
07-30-2019, 01:45 PM
I agree with almost everything you said except him being a backup in case Poodle leaves. If Poodle leaves we definitely bring Nikola over no way can this guy guard any bigs or be Poodles backup in anyway shape or form.

As as far as Morris well their is a special place in Hell waiting for him. Just kidding though he is still a complete douche for what he did.

ceperez
07-30-2019, 01:56 PM
I lost all interest when he remarked in an interview that he was shocked with 3 hour practices in Utah.

It's bad enough that millennials feel entitled, but the lazy ones are the worst!

8FOR!3
07-30-2019, 02:09 PM
I would have preferred Chris Singleton but I'll embrace Trey Lyles bc of what Marcus Morris did. I have a feeling Lyles actually wants to be here.

phxspurfan
07-30-2019, 02:12 PM
Would have rather had Justin Holiday tbh. Or Kenneth Faried / a proven replacement level big. Lyles is most likely just another bust on his last team in the league.

tmtcsc
07-30-2019, 02:40 PM
Boris’ BBIQ was indeed high. Unfortunately his BBQ outweighed his BBIQ

:lol

objective
07-30-2019, 03:28 PM
I have the same excitement level for Lyles that I would have for Joffrey coming back. That's about the same level of impact.

'Scoring big' with no threes and no defense with soft play. Except Joffrey was a second round wash-out instead of a late-lottery bust, so he didn't have the entitled ego to bring to the table.

Mr. Body
07-30-2019, 04:17 PM
Lyles is a lazy, entitled player who is as 'untapped,' i.e. unimpressive as he was coming into the league, a league he's one year from being out of forever.

exstatic
07-30-2019, 05:46 PM
I would have preferred Chris Singleton but I'll embrace Trey Lyles bc of what Marcus Morris did. I have a feeling Lyles actually wants to be here.

Really? Your great 'get' is a guy who played three years and hasn't been on an NBA court for over 5 years? Oh, and he's almost 30.

DPG21920
07-30-2019, 06:07 PM
I'm not "excited", but I think they got him at an decent enough deal. Deeks has Lyles as being completely non-guaranteed next season. The APY isn't good, but essentially having a team option for another year is pretty good. He and Beli can both be thought of as expiring contracts, so that gives the Spurs some matching power if they need to make a trade. Depending on the guarantee date (HoopsWorld is saying 06-30, but they also think he has a guarantee next season, which Deeks and Spotrac don't agree with) he could be a guy who competes with Samanic for minutes or even replaces Poeltl if he has the second-year bump a lot of vets do in SA.

I'm still not sad about Bertans. Obviously, Morris screwed SA over by making them trade Bertans for nothing. But Davis actually not being on the team isn't a big deal. We already knew how good he was, and that wasn't good enough. Spamming highlight videos or using on-off stats -- just no. He wasn't winning games for the Spurs last year. He wasn't their most impactful player. Very few posters here thought that last year, and Bertans being gone now doesn't change that. He and Beli were the easiest spots to upgrade in the rotation. They didn't do that because of Morris, and that sucks, but they lost their 10th man, not their sixth or a starter. There's a good chance that any of the new players or Walk slides in and takes that spot without much issue.

I just hate that Bertans had positive value and a salary that was very helpful in trades and now that is gone. Who knows if SA would have used that, but it appears evident they would have been fine using him in a deal that meant improving the team and that opportunity is gone.

DAF86
07-30-2019, 06:13 PM

I'm still not sad about Bertans. Obviously, Morris screwed SA over by making them trade Bertans for nothing. But Davis actually not being on the team isn't a big deal. We already knew how good he was, and that wasn't good enough. Spamming highlight videos or using on-off stats -- just no. He wasn't winning games for the Spurs last year. He wasn't their most impactful player. Very few posters here thought that last year, and Bertans being gone now doesn't change that. He and Beli were the easiest spots to upgrade in the rotation. They didn't do that because of Morris, and that sucks, but they lost their 10th man, not their sixth or a starter. There's a good chance that any of the new players or Walker slides in and takes that spot without much issue.

Dude, you are so so so damn bad at analyzing basketball.

callo1
07-30-2019, 06:15 PM
Always to see new blood injected into the team. I think for Lyles, it is al about what he puts in work wise. I have little doubt concerning ability. That being said, he can't guard athletic wings, so he doesn't help there. My best guess is that Pop will give the new kids a chance to show what they can do, and make a trade as needed.

Dex
07-30-2019, 07:02 PM
Bold prediction: Lyles will shoot better than .375 from three this season.

tonski17
07-30-2019, 07:24 PM
If he could provide the defense needed against smaller opponents and could also guard big men, then count me in. He has the potential offensively, he just have to fit to the role that spurs would give him and produce

Chinook
07-30-2019, 07:53 PM
Honestly, at this point I'd be okay with Samanic and Lyles competing there's no ideal candidate on the team right now. Just let one of them run with the first unit for a couple of minutes before subbing in Gay.

spurraider21
07-30-2019, 07:54 PM
austin daye 2.0

Leetonidas
07-30-2019, 08:01 PM
I'm holding out hope because he's still pretty young and has the size and athleticism. He also shot decently from 3 the first two years in the league though his shot vanished in year 3. If he is willing to put in the work he can be a solid rotational player. But I question his work ethic and dedication

timtonymanu
07-30-2019, 08:15 PM
Fathead is much closer to Diaw tbh

But he wasn’t even close to Diaw as well other than his ability to play make which never was really used on the Spurs anyway. He was slow, unathletic, couldn’t shoot the 3, couldn’t post up smaller defenders. He wasn’t even better than post 2014 Diaw.

Uriel
07-30-2019, 09:05 PM
Relax guys, he's only 23 :lol

TimDunkem
07-30-2019, 10:47 PM
But he wasn’t even close to Diaw as well other than his ability to play make which never was really used on the Spurs anyway. He was slow, unathletic, couldn’t shoot the 3, couldn’t post up smaller defenders. He wasn’t even better than post 2014 Diaw.

Someone made a shitty Diaw comparison back in 2014 when Fathead was drafted and sadly it has stuck ever since. If anything, the only similarity was a hesitance to shoot the ball...and that's it.

Hyperhypo
07-30-2019, 11:16 PM
Nope

Ice009
07-31-2019, 12:06 AM

Sorry, but a you fucking high? NO. NO. NO. The answer is no.

You don't remember Diaw being a triple double threat nearly every night when he played with the Phoenix Suns? Diaw was way further ahead when he came here and had accomplished way more than Lyles ever has to be making that comparison. The only thing they may have in common is laziness, but Diaw still showed a lot more than Lyles ever has even when he was lazy.

Lyles could turn into a good player, but I don't believe Diaw is the comparison to make.

spurs10
07-31-2019, 01:49 AM
Comparing him to a veteran and champion like Boris is just apples and oranges. People either greatly underestimate how great Boris Diaw was or they don't know. As for Lyles, I'm very excited to have a 23 year old on our team that could possible have his best season ever. He was wrongly compared to Morris for obvious reasons, but it could be he ends up being a good fit. If he is pushed to defend better and can defend smaller players, and Chip gets his shot back it's a win.

I'm mainly going by what others have said and understand he's a much different 4 than Morris, who people thought could defend perimeter players. He's only 23 and maybe under the right coaching staff that includes the greatest PF of all time he will surprise us.

RC_Drunkford
07-31-2019, 03:57 AM
no

8FOR!3
07-31-2019, 11:43 AM
Really? Your great 'get' is a guy who played three years and hasn't been on an NBA court for over 5 years? Oh, and he's almost 30.

He was doing good in the EuroLeague from what I understand, he could be a solid defensive stretch 4 in today's league. I think it's fair to say he could defend wings better than Lyles. I don't know a shit ton about him these days which is why I'm not that upset we didn't get him, maybe he's not an NBA player who knows. I'm also partial bc that's who I wanted the year we traded up and drafted Kawhi, obviously I was super wrong then and the Spurs were super right.

Truth4sale$
07-31-2019, 03:38 PM
I am excited because he is still young and he knows this is his last shot in this league. Nobody wanted him in free agency. He Improve by committing to his Craft amd live us to his lottery expectations or he can expect the rest of his career to be in Europe or china.

exstatic
07-31-2019, 04:03 PM
He was doing good in the EuroLeague from what I understand, he could be a solid defensive stretch 4 in today's league. I think it's fair to say he could defend wings better than Lyles. I don't know a shit ton about him these days which is why I'm not that upset we didn't get him, maybe he's not an NBA player who knows. I'm also partial bc that's who I wanted the year we traded up and drafted Kawhi, obviously I was super wrong then and the Spurs were super right.

30 NBA GMs say hello....

wildbill2u
08-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Low risk. High reward. Like a guy you draft in the late rounds of a fantasy draft. Drafting for upside tbh:clap

buujness
08-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Low risk. High reward. Like a guy you draft in the late rounds of a fantasy draft. Drafting for upside tbhThis is exactly right.

Lyles has potential to be better than he has been. And there's evidence to suggest that he is a positive player, as long as he gets to touch the ball and distribute it around. Not expecting anything from him, but if he turns into something, then he's another young piece that you could have around for awhile. If not, then you can trade his contract for something and when coupled with Belinelli's contract, you might be able to get a decent player back.

Mr. Body
08-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Cool because Lyles is almost out of the league at 23.

r0drig0lac
08-04-2019, 02:30 PM
no
/thread

jhfenton
08-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Low risk. High reward. Like a guy you draft in the late rounds of a fantasy draft. Drafting for upside tbh

I do wonder however how much affect TD will have on TL. There's got to be some admiration there. Maybe Timmy gets the best out of our guys. Who knows. I would bet anything regarding the GOAT though.

+ 2 I wouldn't say that I'm excited; I expect nothing from Lyles. But I agree that there is upside, and I'm hoping TD and Spurs can get him to put in the work.

Maddog
08-04-2019, 06:06 PM
+ 2 I wouldn't say that I'm excited; I expect nothing from Lyles. But I agree that there is upside, and I'm hoping TD and Spurs can get him to put in the work.

Hopefully, Timmy will have an a positive influence
That said I suspect he'll be gone in a year.
However, I still like the move. The Spurs have always been good at reclamation or getting some thing out of a player no else wanted. Danny Green, Patty Mills, Forbes, eEson Oberto, Jackson etc.
Late 1st Round picks etc.

Of course they don't always work out.
Austin Daye was mentioned earlier. Livio to name two.
So I like the move. Excited, no. But I wasn't excited aboutmany of their success stories at the time.