PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Patterson - 2019 Free Agent

MoSpur02
08-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Per Woj, him and OKC agreed on a buyout making Patterson a free agent.

KDKSpurs24
08-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Clippers

r0drig0lac
08-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Clippers

Seventyniner
08-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Clippers

Makes sense. The only way the Spurs could compete is by offering the rest of the MLE and perhaps a player option for a second year, and I don't know off the top of my head the difference between the remainder of the Spurs' MLE and the minimum. Or do the Clippers have some way of offering more than the minimum, like the room exception?

I didn't pay attention to Patterson much, but according to bkref around 62% of his shots have been threes over the last four seasons and he hits around 37% of those. He's also a bad rebounder for a PF, at least as judged by recent TRB%. Stretch 4 is a position of need for the Spurs, but he probably isn't good enough to be a starter because OC let him go and might not move the needle otherwise anyway.

apalisoc_9
08-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Clippers or Lakers or Jazz

Chinook
08-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Yeah, the issue is that Patterson probably shouldn't start, and Gay, Carroll and Lyles are all players who ideally (at best), you want to play in the second unit. If the Spurs had had Morris and somehow missed out on Carroll rather than the other way around, this could make some real sense. Now, it's harder to put him into the rotation unless Rudy starts. I mean, if he wants to join up on a one-year deal, you still do it. Having the option of starting Gay or Carroll or having good injury insurance still has more value than having nobody at all. But I don't automatically think it makes the regular rotation better.

Murray, Mills
White, Forbes
DeRozan, Walker
Gay, Carroll
Aldridge, Poeltl

That rotation has some areas it could be improved obviously (like breaking up that second-unit back court). But not just any JAG is going to come in and take a spot.

monty4329
08-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Toronto's Patterson would be a must-sign. OKC Patterson not really.

Moot anyway, he will go to LA. They could have saved themselves the trouble and just include him in the PG trade.

exstatic
08-01-2019, 02:17 PM
Lakers

cd021
08-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Yeah, the issue is that Patterson probably shouldn't start, and Gay, Carroll and Lyles are all players who ideally (at best), you want to play in the second unit. If the Spurs had had Morris and somehow missed out on Carroll rather than the other way around, this could make some real sense. Now, it's harder to put him into the rotation unless Rudy starts. I mean, if he wants to join up on a one-year deal, you still do it. Having the option of starting Gay or Carroll or having good injury insurance still has more value than having nobody at all. But I don't automatically think it makes the regular rotation better.

Murray, Mills
White, Forbes
DeRozan, Walker
Gay, Carroll
Aldridge, Poeltl

That rotation has some areas it could be improved obviously (like breaking up that second-unit back court). But not just any JAG is going to come in and take a spot.

That's the rotation that I worry about tbh.

Mills and Forbes are a no go as a pairing given their lack of size and defensive issues. Walker is a question mark in that end, Carroll is solid and Poeltl is good but that unit has little offense and sketchy defense unless Pop breaks up the starters minutes and plays a couple of them with the bench but Pop historically doesn't do that.

Personally prefer; (minutes distribution)

Murray, Mills (28/20)
Forbes, White (20-22/26-28)
DDR, Walker ( 30-32/ 16-18)
Carroll, Gay (22/26)
LMA, Poeltl (30/18)

Starters-2 ball handlers and interior scorer who can pick and pop and two off ball players whom are high volume 3 point shooter. Defensively, they have an elite defensive guard, a solid wing, and a rim protector.

Bench- two, possibly three starting caliber players. White can run the second unit and defend the other team's best guard.

Gay can get buckets against opposing benches and hopefully stay healthy in the process by not having to start. Mills as the high volume 3pt shooter, Jakob as the roll man, rim protector and Walker as a bit of a wild card.

EP Money Man
08-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Pat Pete? NFL corner?

phxspurfan
08-01-2019, 03:14 PM
Would rather have him than Lyles tbh

TD 21
08-01-2019, 04:57 PM
He wouldn't have filled either need, which is starting caliber big wing and third center.

When he signed with the Thunder 2 years ago, he had what was deemed minor knee surgery, yet hasn't been the same since.

He's basically a 6 year older version of Lyles. They're now close enough defensively that I'd rather the latter's offensive upside and superior rebounding at this point.

Dex
08-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Non-issue, tbh.

Strategic
08-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Billy Donovan made every effort to not play Patterson, including using Markieff Morris ahead of him in the rotation. But Donovan also thought Enes Kanter was unplayable. So there’s that.

sananspursfan21
08-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Our front court is no longer as depleted as it once was. The front court is now deceptively adequate (I hesitate to say ‘deep’ until we’ve seen further evidence), and I feel like Patrick Patterson would create a logjam.

timtonymanu
08-01-2019, 11:08 PM
It's okay, we've got Trey Diaw Lyles. NBA = fucked.

sasaint
08-01-2019, 11:40 PM
Our front court is no longer as depleted as it once was. The front court is now deceptively adequate (I hesitate to say ‘deep’ until we’ve seen further evidence), and I feel like Patrick Patterson would create a logjam.

Haha. I hesitate to call it “deceptively adequate.”

Maddog
08-02-2019, 06:32 AM
He wouldn't have filled either need, which is starting caliber big wing and third center.

When he signed with the Thunder 2 years ago, he had what was deemed minor knee surgery, yet hasn't been the same since.

He's basically a 6 year older version of Lyles. They're now close enough defensively that I'd rather the latter's offensive upside and superior rebounding at this point.

I agree,
Patterson is guy you sign if you've a reasonable shot at a title to provide spot minutes. Not for a team in transition like the Spurs

sananspursfan21
08-02-2019, 07:14 AM
Haha. I hesitate to call it “deceptively adequate.”

Fair enough :lol I hope we’re both wrong in an underestimating kind of way

sasaint
08-02-2019, 10:08 AM
Fair enough :lol I hope we’re both wrong in an underestimating kind of way

:tu Good turn of phrase.

8FOR!3
08-02-2019, 10:29 AM
I'd prefer Lyles at this point to Patterson, wouldn't be surprised if Patterson is only slightly better.

R. DeMurre
08-02-2019, 11:48 AM
I liked Patterson a few years ago, but he's been invisible for a while now. Clippers probably are a good situation for him to rehab his career.

John B
08-02-2019, 01:38 PM
I’m happy with Ewwbanks for 3rd big