PDA

View Full Version : Kerr on today's Star Movement

SpurPadre
08-01-2019, 05:50 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/kerr-doubles-down-says-star-movement-bad-for-business/ar-AAFc33f?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=DELLDHP
(https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/kerr-doubles-down-says-star-movement-bad-for-business/ar-AAFc33f?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=DELLDHP)
Kerr doubles down, says star movement ‘bad for business’

Jason Rowan, Sportress of Blogitude

3 hrs ago

The frequency — not to mention magnitude — of stars switching teams in the NBA is arguably one of the biggest issues the league will be forced to confront in the near future. Count Steve Kerr in the camp who thinks the recent run of seismic star player movement is bad for the NBA.

Speaking to ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan, Kerr marveled at how NBA superstars are calling all the shots, and the Golden State Warriors head coach believes it’s an ominous sign for the league.

“The league has always revolved around the top 15 guys,” Kerr told MacMullan (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27282369/you-plan-next-year-coaching-nba-where-stars-call-shots). “But how many of them left? Larry [Bird] stayed, Magic [Johnson] stayed, Tim Duncan stayed, Kobe [Bryant] stayed, even Michael [Jordan] mostly stayed.
“What’s shocking is the caliber of the players — LeBron, KD, Kawhi — that are leaving. And they kind of run the league.”

Kerr originally created headlines last week (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27250922/kerr-forced-trade-davis-bad-league) when he railed against how Anthony Davis orchestrated his way off the New Orleans Pelicans by making a public trade demand despite being under contract, calling it a “real problem” and “bad for the league.”
While Kerr later clarified his remarks (https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/07/31/warriors-coach-steve-kerr-sidesteps-kendrick-perkins-fractured-logic-twitterati-pile-on/) by saying it would have been more acceptable had Davis done his dealings with the Pelicans behind closed doors, he doubled down on his original opinion while speaking to MacMullan.

“That’s the real danger,” Kerr said of the situation with Anthony Davis as well as Paul George’s move to the Clippers. “That’s where you start to get concerned. At least I do. As for our league, it’s bad for business.”

Regarding overall player movement in free agency and not specifically superstars demanding trades, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said he could see the recent massive moves coming (https://www.sportressofblogitude.com/2019/06/07/adam-silver-nba-significant-superstar-movement/) before it all happened. It remains to be seen if and when the NBA will choose to address the issue, but it’s clear it’s seen as a problem by some of the bigger names in the league.

sasaint
08-01-2019, 06:21 PM
Makes a difference when you aren’t on the receiving end, eh, Steve?

Genovaswitness
08-01-2019, 06:53 PM
fuck steve “cuckold” kerr.

gambit1990
08-01-2019, 07:00 PM
:lol

timtonymanu
08-01-2019, 07:04 PM
He's not wrong but lol @ this faggot crying when his 73 win team signed KD.

RD2191
08-01-2019, 07:14 PM
He's not wrong but lol @ this faggot crying when his 73 win team signed KD.

To be fair, KD joined as a free agent. Yeah it was a bitch move but you're not gonna be like "nah KD, we fine without you". :lol

picnroll
08-01-2019, 07:22 PM
To be fair, KD joined as a free agent. Yeah it was a bitch move but you're not gonna be like "nah KD, we fine without you". :lol

Except Kerr pointed out players that remained loyal to their team, Bird, Jordan, Magic, Kobe, Duncan. Of course Kerr is the ideal person to endorse team loyalty.

dbreiden83080
08-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Uh yeah.. Was nice to be on the receiving end Stevo..

dbreiden83080
08-01-2019, 07:33 PM

In the old days yep.. Jordan would have told Ewing and Reggie Miller to take their ass kicking like men..

MultiTroll
08-01-2019, 07:37 PM
They *stayed with their teams. STFU Kerr!

Bird: Brought in Bob Parish, drafted Kevin McHale, Dennis Johnson from Phoenix. Great draft of Cornbread Maxwell, later Lenny Bias whose coke death is a major reason we had to put up with Fagic.

Fagic: Ya joining still relatively young Kream and Keith Wilkes etc was really tough. Stern taking out the Rockets once they popped the Lakers bubble.

Duncan: Would have been great anywhere but majorly helps when Manu and Porker become HOF late drafts. DRob still an excellent starter in his later years.

Kobme. Won't even entertain any nonsense about staying. The rigged help he got is historic.

RD2191
08-01-2019, 07:55 PM
In the old days yep.. Jordan would have told Ewing and Reggie Miller to take their ass kicking like men..

This ain't the old days though..I seriously doubt PATFO would've turned down KD if he wanted to join the Spurs.

KDKSpurs24
08-01-2019, 07:59 PM
Doubt it.

ZeusWillJudge
08-01-2019, 08:13 PM

No way you turn down KD. But when he leaves his original team to join your super-team, just don't say anything when he leaves. Kerr talking about player movement is more irony than I can stomach.

dbreiden83080
08-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Doubt it.

So you don't know the era... Jordan was obsessed with beating the shit out of his rivals..

dbreiden83080
08-01-2019, 08:18 PM
This ain't the old days though..I seriously doubt PATFO would've turned down KD if he wanted to join the Spurs.

Yeah they wanted Kidd back in the day along with Tony.. But it is more the cowardly attitude of the players now..

tbdog
08-01-2019, 10:07 PM
Blake Griffin made a counter point to Kerr. It's a good read. Regardless what fence you on, there will be a lengthy lockout. Too many controversial things has happened by both players and owners. And Silver still has his hands in his pockets.

tmtcsc
08-01-2019, 10:15 PM
What the fuck? He's talking about star players demanding trades before their contracts end. - Kawhi (Telling Spurs he wants to be traded), Anthony Davis (Telling Pelicans he wants to be traded) & Paul George (Telling OKC he wants to be traded). These are 2 different things - Stars bolting their teams within the rules and stars leveraging their power to force trades.

I wish the Spurs would have told Kawhi to suck it up and play out his contract or force the issue with the league. They didn't want to stomach the drama I guess. Should have forced that asshole to play or sit out & taken it to court to own his rights despite uncle's bullshit.

daslicer
08-01-2019, 10:31 PM
What the fuck? He's talking about star players demanding trades before their contracts end. - Kawhi (Telling Spurs he wants to be traded), Anthony Davis (Telling Pelicans he wants to be traded) & Paul George (Telling OKC he wants to be traded). These are 2 different things - Stars bolting their teams within the rules and stars leveraging their power to force trades.

I wish the Spurs would have told Kawhi to suck it up and play out his contract or force the issue with the league. They didn't want to stomach the drama I guess. Should have forced that asshole to play or sit out & taken it to court to own his rights despite uncle's bullshit.

That's exactly what I wanted them to do. Spurs feared their reputation being destroyed if they did it but it got destroyed anyways by #2 and his people/media. To make matters worse they traded him to a contender which was very stupid and in return it enhanced his rep at the suspense of the Spurs.

SpurPadre
08-01-2019, 10:54 PM
Anything to make of Kerr mentioning TD by his full name while the other legends just by first name?

Spurtacular
08-01-2019, 11:22 PM
I've yet to see the proof that stars leaving is bad for business. Seems like it's even enhancing business in the offseason.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-02-2019, 09:56 AM
Anything to make of Kerr mentioning TD by his full name while the other legends just by first name?

And before Kobe.

Kerr is a Spur at heart.

Dex
08-02-2019, 10:28 AM
I've yet to see the proof that stars leaving is bad for business. Seems like it's even enhancing business in the offseason.

Yep. I agree that it's bullshit that these guys can sign contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars, then force the hand of their team to take that bag and leave...but others will argue that teams won't bat an eye to trade a guy under contract if they feel like it works out better for them.

Either way, the NBA has gotten a ton of attention and coverage this offseason due to all of this player movement, and that is exactly what Silver wants.

People are going to want to tune in to see how all these stars do in their new environment and who is going to come out on top, and that is good for the NBA as a whole.

It sucks for the teams who get stuck with the short stick (like the Spurs did with Kawhi)...but then Kawhi goes to Toronto and takes out the mighty Warriors (with help from some key injuries), and the casual NBA fan is applauding it.

The league isn't going to intervene because they are beholden to the almighty dollar. The only pressure that will be put on them is if the owners threaten lockout, but that hurts both sides equally.

Big P
08-02-2019, 11:03 AM
FSK...he would have been fine with it if AD landed with the warriors.

superbigtime
08-02-2019, 11:16 AM
I like Kerr a lot and he's right.

Spurtacular
08-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Yep. I agree that it's bullshit that these guys can sign contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars, then force the hand of their team to take that bag and leave...but others will argue that teams won't bat an eye to trade a guy under contract if they feel like it works out better for them.

Either way, the NBA has gotten a ton of attention and coverage this offseason due to all of this player movement, and that is exactly what Silver wants.

People are going to want to tune in to see how all these stars do in their new environment and who is going to come out on top, and that is good for the NBA as a whole.

It sucks for the teams who get stuck with the short stick (like the Spurs did with Kawhi)...but then Kawhi goes to Toronto and takes out the mighty Warriors (with help from some key injuries), and the casual NBA fan is applauding it.

The league isn't going to intervene because they are beholden to the almighty dollar. The only pressure that will be put on them is if the owners threaten lockout, but that hurts both sides equally.

Yup. But a word of caution: it's working out for now; but for a long time, people were talking about Bird's Celtics, Michael's Bulls, Isiah's Pistons, and Magic's Lakers over the current teams. They could be heading for the falls if the on-court product is trash. Hard to say.

Mugen
08-02-2019, 01:22 PM
Big difference in how they acquired KD tbh, literally every single other team in the league would have welcomed that shiny-faced POS to their squad if he said I'm coming.

If guys want to play out their contracts and join up with another team, that's perfectly fine tbh.

But when you got losers like Nephew, PG, AD quitting on their team with multiple years left on their contract, that's a problem tbh. Maybe not ratings/buzz wise but that's a problem with owners, small market teams, etc.....

MultiTroll
08-02-2019, 02:46 PM
Big difference in how they acquired KD tbh, literally every single other team in the league would have welcomed that shiny-faced POS to their squad if he said I'm coming.

If guys want to play out their contracts and join up with another team, that's perfectly fine tbh.Beg to differ as regards KD.
From what I saw in OKC up 3-1 vs the Golden Phaggots, he knew he was going there. It was not solely his overrated ass missing shots under pressure, I think he did some tanking too.

duncan2k5
08-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Teams trade players all the time

RC_Drunkford
08-04-2019, 05:57 AM

PATFO had a free agency meeting with KD during that offseason tryin to get him to the Spurs

tbdog
08-04-2019, 06:34 AM
PATFO had a free agency meeting with KD during that offseason tryin to get him to the Spurs

Rumour was Leonard was not at that meeting.

Othyus Lalanne
08-04-2019, 06:37 AM

They just used a statue. KD did not notice he was not there.

MoSpur02
08-04-2019, 11:07 AM

:lol

RD2191
08-04-2019, 12:12 PM

That's a good one. :lol

Bill Walton Saga
08-04-2019, 05:05 PM
https://www.nba.com/suns/sites/suns/files/legacy/photos/kerr_gallery_blazers_portra.jpg

sasaint
08-04-2019, 05:07 PM

If the meeting had been with Paul George, Number 2 would have been there.

Mark Celibate
08-04-2019, 11:53 PM
Beg to differ as regards KD.
From what I saw in OKC up 3-1 vs the Golden Phaggots, he knew he was going there. It was not solely his overrated ass missing shots under pressure, I think he did some tanking too.

:lol that literally makes zero sense. How does that benefit him in anyway tanking the Western Conference Finals where they'd likely be the favorites for a title if they made it to the Finals?

4lifecowboy
08-05-2019, 05:48 AM
In the long run it will eventually bankrupt small market teams, unless the middle and lower tier players see this it will be them playing oversees in 10 years.