PDA

View Full Version : NBA: NBA turning into baseball "you can't plan beyond next year"

phxspurfan
08-02-2019, 06:36 PM
MLB where 3 teams (New York, Boston, LA Dodgers) get all the players and everyone else sucks/develops players to go to NY/LA/BOS

Each year every team has to either pick up a shit ton of players before the trade deadline or have a massive fire sale bc they realize they suck
Every good player always rumored to be traded to NY/BOS/LA

Good shit NBA, make the league like MLB with dwindling fan base and empty stadiums.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27282369/you-plan-next-year-coaching-nba-where-stars-call-shots

Teams traditionally map out a five-year plan (or longer) for growth, factoring in future drafts, trades and free-agency signings.

"But you can throw that out the window now," says New Orleans Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry. "There's too much movement -- too much unexpected movement. You can't plan beyond next year."

"You have Paul George, one of our premier players in the league, who was paid very well by the team, suddenly announce, 'Hey, I want to be traded.' You have no recourse but to get the best deal you can."

"I'm a realist," Gentry says. "When Anthony signed with Klutch Sports, I knew what was going to happen. They told me, 'No, we're not trying to get him traded,' but we all realized it was just a matter of time.

contracts "don't really mean anything anymore, so make them all two-year deals. It will save us a lot of headaches."

basquetbol
08-02-2019, 07:22 PM
If they don't like it NBA executives can get jobs doing something else. The NBA should be exempt from having a changing business landscape?

FkLA
08-02-2019, 10:06 PM
1-2 year contracts would be interesting

Y'all want to be bitches and flock to the coasts? Fine but the price is long-term security.

UZER
08-02-2019, 10:27 PM
If they don't like it NBA executives can get jobs doing something else. The NBA should be exempt from having a changing business landscape?

Same for the players. If they don’t like it, they can get jobs doing something else.

lefty
08-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Impossible, baseball is not a sport

Spurtacular
08-02-2019, 11:07 PM

Who outside of the NBA would hire an NBA exec? They're mostly shit.

Othyus Lalanne
08-02-2019, 11:37 PM

It's a cartel that already has the best product aka players.

Yes, they should be to some extent.

Millennial_Messiah
08-03-2019, 02:50 AM
Baseball has the best parity in sports. Sooooooo many years recently where the Yankees/Sox haven't made the playoffs and the Rays/Jays etc. have had the glory. Even the Pitt Pirates made it a few years back. It's a league of parity.

Yogatti
08-03-2019, 03:09 AM
cry more

ElNono
08-03-2019, 03:11 AM

08-03-2019, 11:21 AM

Millennial_Messiah
08-05-2019, 04:44 AM

More of a sport than poorball tbh.

midnightpulp
08-05-2019, 06:41 AM
MLB where 3 teams (New York, Boston, LA Dodgers) get all the players and everyone else sucks/develops players to go to NY/LA/BOS

Each year every team has to either pick up a shit ton of players before the trade deadline or have a massive fire sale bc they realize they suck
Every good player always rumored to be traded to NY/BOS/LA

Good shit NBA, make the league like MLB with dwindling fan base and empty stadiums.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27282369/you-plan-next-year-coaching-nba-where-stars-call-shots

Teams traditionally map out a five-year plan (or longer) for growth, factoring in future drafts, trades and free-agency signings.

"But you can throw that out the window now," says New Orleans Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry. "There's too much movement -- too much unexpected movement. You can't plan beyond next year."

"You have Paul George, one of our premier players in the league, who was paid very well by the team, suddenly announce, 'Hey, I want to be traded.' You have no recourse but to get the best deal you can."

"I'm a realist," Gentry says. "When Anthony signed with Klutch Sports, I knew what was going to happen. They told me, 'No, we're not trying to get him traded,' but we all realized it was just a matter of time.

contracts "don't really mean anything anymore, so make them all two-year deals. It will save us a lot of headaches."

As mentioned, the MLB has the best parity in sports and the superteam concept is impossible to implement in the sport since offensive and defensive responsibility (pitchers) is more evenly distributed than in basketball, where it's 5 vs. 5 and stars can control possession. I don't get where the belief comes from that NY, LA, and BOS hijack small market talent? The best player in perhaps the history of the sport is on the fuckin' Angels and reupped rather quickly instead of making a dog and pony show of his upcoming free agency.

The stars on the rosters of the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox are largely homegrown, with the exception of Stanton, Sale, JD Martinez, and Price. The Braves have built a contender that will challenge the Dodgers out of home grown farm players and resurrecting Josh Donaldson. The Twins, a very good team that could make some noise, homegrown talent. And it was the Houston Astros (also a roster built largely of homegrown players, Verlander aside [who was thought to be on the decline]) who landed the biggest trade deadline fish in Zach Greinke.

Furthermore, the Yankees lost just about every one of their brand name stars for like half the season, and persevered to the division lead through backups and farm call ups. An impossibility in the NBA. The Yankees basically lost Curry (Judge), Draymond (Severino), Klay (Betances), and Durant (Stanton) for the season/significant amount of time.

Also contributing to the better parity in the MLB is the much larger talent pool size, especially regarding elite players. In the NBA, it's the top 5 and everyone else. In the MLB (Trout aside, who is in a league of his own), a mere +2 wins separates the 3rd best in the league and the 29th best player in the league. In the NBA, +6 wins separates the 3rd best player from the 29th best player, and that's 82 games vs. 110-115 (where we're at in the current season).

Dwindling fanbase? The MLB absolutely destroys the NBA head-to-head in shared markets, and the better parity and roster building aspects is a key reason why. Attendance is up in over half the markets. Now, agreed, some franchises are horribly and ineptly run, like the Marlins, Blue Jays, Tigers, White Sox, Mariners, etc that find themselves in an eternal draft/firesale cycle, because they don't know how to scout, develop, and sustain or are at the mercy of cheap ownership, but the MLB is much more balanced across the board in terms of parity than the NBA could ever hope to be, where in any given season, the same 5 players dictate the outcome.

R. DeMurre
08-05-2019, 11:17 AM
The Knicks didn't land any of the top free agents, Boston lost two key starters for nothing, the Jazz improved significantly, Golden State couldn't resign Durant, the Clippers swiped the top free agent from the Lakers, Milwaukee has the MVP... all of these things seem to me to be good signs for parity. Who can really blame Anthony Davis for wanting to leave? New Orleans had seven years to put a better team around him, and couldn't. The parity in the West will be incredible next season. I don't get the complaints. I love the way the NBA looks right now.

Killakobe81
08-05-2019, 11:28 AM
The Knicks didn't land any of the top free agents, Boston lost two key starters for nothing, the Jazz improved significantly, Golden State couldn't resign Durant, the Clippers swiped the top free agent from the Lakers, Milwaukee has the MVP... all of these things seem to me to be good signs for parity. Who can really blame Anthony Davis for wanting to leave? New Orleans had seven years to put a better team around him, and couldn't. The parity in the West will be incredible next season. I don't get the complaints. I love the way the NBA looks right now.

Clippers swiping Kawhi is irrelevant he just went to the other big market team. OP pointed to Market not glamour teams in big markets... Not saying I agree with OP but using Clippers, Angels and Nets as examples when they are in big markets don't exactly refute his point...

Killakobe81
08-05-2019, 11:30 AM
My bad, he used cities but said only three teams... Disagree with him... But Kawhi trout KD etc still chose little brother big market teams.

R. DeMurre
08-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Clippers swiping Kawhi is irrelevant he just went to the other big market team. OP pointed to Market not glamour teams in big markets... Not saying I agree with OP but using Clippers, Angels and Nets as examples when they are in big markets don't exactly refute his point...

Well, big markets are destined to get some of the players on the move-- they represent at least 25% of the teams-- but the fact that major market teams like the Knicks, Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls for the most part lost out on free agency kind of shows me that parity is doing pretty well. Phoenix, Dallas, and Chicago are top 10 cities in terms of population and hardly have any draw at all.

phxspurfan
08-05-2019, 03:43 PM
I don't get where the belief comes from that NY, LA, and BOS hijack small market talent?

the 2019 Yankees roster (before their injuries) included a super team of players, many of which were plucked from small markets:

Gary Sanchez, C
Luke Voit, 1B -- from the Cardinals
Gleyber Torres, 2B
Troy Tulowitzki, SS -- from the Rockies originally, then the Blue Jays
DJ LeMahieu, 3B -- from the Rockies
Edwin Encarnacion 1B -- from the Reds, then Blue Jays
Brett Gardner, LF
Aaron Hicks, CF
Aaron Judge, RF
Giancarlo Stanton, DH -- from Miami Marlins
Jacoby Ellsbury, OF -- from the Red Sox

many pitchers were big signings from other small market teams as well:

Aroldis Chapman RP -- from the Reds
CC Sabathia -- from the Indians
JA Happ -- from a bunch of small market teams
Zack Britton - Orioles

They also made a huge run and offer for 3B Manny Machado, who was originally from the Orioles.

midnightpulp
08-05-2019, 05:57 PM
the 2019 Yankees roster (before their injuries) included a super team of players, many of which were plucked from small markets:

Gary Sanchez, C
Luke Voit, 1B -- from the Cardinals
Gleyber Torres, 2B
Troy Tulowitzki, SS -- from the Rockies originally, then the Blue Jays
DJ LeMahieu, 3B -- from the Rockies
Edwin Encarnacion 1B -- from the Reds, then Blue Jays
Brett Gardner, LF
Aaron Hicks, CF
Aaron Judge, RF
Giancarlo Stanton, DH -- from Miami Marlins
Jacoby Ellsbury, OF -- from the Red Sox

many pitchers were big signings from other small market teams as well:

Aroldis Chapman RP -- from the Reds
CC Sabathia -- from the Indians
JA Happ -- from a bunch of small market teams
Zack Britton - Orioles

They also made a huge run and offer for 3B Manny Machado, who was originally from the Orioles.

Luke Voit was a no name in St. Louis and was obviously moved to make room for Goldschmidt.

Tulo just retired. His career hit the wall hard his last year in Colorado and Toronto, with a 0.2 WAR in his last season with the Jays.

LeMahieu came out nowhere this season. His last season with the Rockies, he was only a 3.0 WAR player.

Encarnacion is way past it and overrated. One dimensional homerun hitter. Never over a 5.0 WAR player.

Ellsbury, always hurt and 35. Wasn't anything particularly special when he left Boston. Had one good season there.

None of those pitchers I would consider elite. Britton was lights out in 2016, but has treaded water ever since. Sabathia is always injured.

None of the Yankees moves would qualify as hijacking a team's core talent. It's not like the 90s/early 00s Yankees where they nabbed Clemens coming off back-to-back Cy Youngs in Toronto, David Cone from Toronto (4th in Cy Young), then Mussina (6th in Cy Young), and then Giambi at his peak (coming off an MVP season and runner up with the As). Stanton was the biggest fish, but he's a player to be skeptical about since his game is one dimensional and he's a strikeout machine, the kind of player who kills your team in the playoffs.

They're also outgunned on paper by the Astros, who would be considered a mid-market team.

DAF86
08-05-2019, 07:14 PM
As mentioned, the MLB has the best parity in sports and the superteam concept is impossible to implement in the sport since offensive and defensive responsibility (pitchers) is more evenly distributed than in basketball, where it's 5 vs. 5 and stars can control possession. I don't get where the belief comes from that NY, LA, and BOS hijack small market talent? The best player in perhaps the history of the sport is on the fuckin' Angels and reupped rather quickly instead of making a dog and pony show of his upcoming free agency.

The stars on the rosters of the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox are largely homegrown, with the exception of Stanton, Sale, JD Martinez, and Price. The Braves have built a contender that will challenge the Dodgers out of home grown farm players and resurrecting Josh Donaldson. The Twins, a very good team that could make some noise, homegrown talent. And it was the Houston Astros (also a roster built largely of homegrown players, Verlander aside [who was thought to be on the decline]) who landed the biggest trade deadline fish in Zach Greinke.

Furthermore, the Yankees lost just about every one of their brand name stars for like half the season, and persevered to the division lead through backups and farm call ups. An impossibility in the NBA. The Yankees basically lost Curry (Judge), Draymond (Severino), Klay (Betances), and Durant (Stanton) for the season/significant amount of time.

Also contributing to the better parity in the MLB is the much larger talent pool size, especially regarding elite players. In the NBA, it's the top 5 and everyone else. In the MLB (Trout aside, who is in a league of his own), a mere +2 wins separates the 3rd best in the league and the 29th best player in the league. In the NBA, +6 wins separates the 3rd best player from the 29th best player, and that's 82 games vs. 110-115 (where we're at in the current season).

Dwindling fanbase? The MLB absolutely destroys the NBA head-to-head in shared markets, and the better parity and roster building aspects is a key reason why. Attendance is up in over half the markets. Now, agreed, some franchises are horribly and ineptly run, like the Marlins, Blue Jays, Tigers, White Sox, Mariners, etc that find themselves in an eternal draft/firesale cycle, because they don't know how to scout, develop, and sustain or are at the mercy of cheap ownership, but the MLB is much more balanced across the board in terms of parity than the NBA could ever hope to be, where in any given season, the same 5 players dictate the outcome.

Says MLB has the most parity in Sports >> Yankees have more than double the championships the next team has.

midnightpulp
08-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Says MLB has the most parity in Sports >> Yankees have more than double the championships the next team has.

I'm not talking about the 1920s-50s MLB. Yankees domination was a problem once, not so much anymore.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/general/futures-betting-odds-sports-parity-nba-nfl-mlb-nhl-golf-tennis

Chucho
08-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Baseball players starting to work harder than Today's NBA players, tbh.

Will Hunting
08-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Yankees have won one championship since 2000 iirc

Mark Celibate
08-06-2019, 09:56 PM
In the past 20 years of baseball, 22 out of 30 franchises have made it to the World Series. And of those eight teams that didn't make it, the Padres are the only team to not have any real shot of winning it all during that time frame, and even they made it to the WS in 1998. The other seven (Mariners, Athletics, Pirates, Blue Jays, Nationals, Brewers, and Indians) actually had a handful of quality playoff seasons where they were legit title contenders.

However, the NBA only has 15 out of 32 franchises making it to the NBA Finals during that time frame (The Western Conference has only produced five rofl). Even that is probably misleading since basketball is so much easier to predict an outcome than baseball due to:

a) not as much variation as in baseball due to the high level of difficulty. For example, a star player may strike out 8 times in the world series and go 1/19 at the plate but you won't see a star player with a shooting percentage that poor in the Finals

and

b) Star players having a much greater impact on the game in basketball than baseball as mid pointed out.

So even though 15 out of 32 teams reached the NBA Finals during that time frame, it's more likely that only 13 or so were actual contenders. i.e. it's probably disingenuous to call the 01 Sixers, 02-03 New Jersey Nets true contenders due to how shitty the East was at the time.

DMC
08-06-2019, 11:21 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/78dcb98c4a6a55bfd082e7e837bc690c/tenor.gif

DMC
08-06-2019, 11:23 PM

meanwhile the Lakers and Celts have 3x the championships that the Bulls have.

Will Hunting
08-07-2019, 07:05 AM
In the past 20 years of baseball, 22 out of 30 franchises have made it to the World Series. And of those eight teams that didn't make it, the Padres are the only team to not have any real shot of winning it all during that time frame, and even they made it to the WS in 1998. The other seven (Mariners, Athletics, Pirates, Blue Jays, Nationals, Brewers, and Indians) actually had a handful of quality playoff seasons where they were legit title contenders.

However, the NBA only has 15 out of 32 franchises making it to the NBA Finals during that time frame (The Western Conference has only produced five rofl). Even that is probably misleading since basketball is so much easier to predict an outcome than baseball due to:

a) not as much variation as in baseball due to the high level of difficulty. For example, a star player may strike out 8 times in the world series and go 1/19 at the plate but you won't see a star player with a shooting percentage that poor in the Finals

and

b) Star players having a much greater impact on the game in basketball than baseball as mid pointed out.

So even though 15 out of 32 teams reached the NBA Finals during that time frame, it's more likely that only 13 or so were actual contenders. i.e. it's probably disingenuous to call the 01 Sixers, 02-03 New Jersey Nets true contenders due to how shitty the East was at the time.
Iirc the Indians made the WS in 2016.