DAF86
08-09-2019, 11:43 PM
I just read someone said Murray is better than White in nearly every way. :lol

Dude got the names mixed up. :lol

FkLA
08-09-2019, 11:55 PM
I just read someone said Murray is better than White in nearly every way. :lol

Dude got the names mixed up. :lol

That genova guy is a contrarian troll. I don't even respond to him seriously, tbh.

tbdog
08-10-2019, 12:03 AM
People forget how good Murray was becoming. And how he is younger than White. Gonna be a great fun backcourt.

DAF86
08-10-2019, 12:05 AM
People forget how good Murray was becoming. And how he is younger than White. Gonna be a great fun backcourt.

Last thing we saw from Murray was him getting dog house treatment on the playoffs, despite being the "starting PG", tbh.

FkLA
08-10-2019, 12:09 AM

Reg Season: 8.1 PPG, 2.9 APG, 44.3 FG%, 26.5 3PT%
Playoffs: 7.8 PPG, 1.8 APG, 45.2 FG%, 4/6 on 3PTers

Yeah, he was really on the cusp of of stardom. :rolleyes

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-10-2019, 12:10 AM
We saw the same thing with White in game 7 tbh

Chinook
08-10-2019, 12:14 AM

I think Murray still has a chance to be the better player, but age really doesn't matter at this point. DeJounte having three years in the league would be more important than the age gap, but since DJM missed a season and might still be recovering, there's probably a reason to not believe Murray's performance this season will be definitive. But yeah, a guy like Wiggins still being really younger than White doesn't automatically give him a higher ceiling given the extra two years of NBA development Wiggins has had.

tbdog
08-10-2019, 12:18 AM
Reg Season: 8.1 PPG, 2.9 APG, 44.3 FG%, 26.5 3PT%
Playoffs: 7.8 PPG, 1.8 APG, 45.2 FG%, 4/6 on 3PTers

Yeah, he was really on the cusp of of stardom. :rolleyes

You forgot his stl and blks. And White avg 5 extra minutes despite having almost no competition for his position. Murray shoved Parker and Mills to the side when he was 20. There are a lot of NBA players that are in the 'if only they could shoot' pile. If Murray can shoot, he doesn't just become a good player. He becomes an Allstar.

FkLA
08-10-2019, 12:23 AM
You forgot his stl and blks. And White avg 5 extra minutes despite having almost no competition for his position. Murray shoved Parker and Mills to the side when he was 20. There are a lot of NBA players that are in the 'if only they could shoot' pile. If Murray can shoot, he doesn't just become a good player. He becomes an Allstar.

Reg Season: 1.2 SPG, 0.4 BPG
Playoffs: 1.0 SPG, 0.4

Yeah, you're right that steal and half a block really makes all the difference in the world. :rolleyes

You know being a good shooter doesn't just entail spotting up, right? IB is a long ways from all-star territory. He doesn't have stepbacks, pullups, , fadeaways, etc in his arsenal...mainly because he never had a shot to begin with. Let him show that he can at least spot up and play off of White before we even start considering anything else bruh. :lol

FkLA
08-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Anyways, this is about Derrick White getting promoted and yet not a single "good for him" or "congrats" from the IB fans.

Goes to show you who the real playerfans are, tbh.

KobesAchilles
08-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Dejounte is still really young and missed an entire year of player development. I have no idea why people are saying he’s going to have better stats than White. He doesn’t have real chemistry yet with anybody so he’s not going to come out and lead the team in assists. Derrick has great rapport with LMA and Poetl which by itself should lead to 4 assists a game. Murray hasn’t proven he has any type of jumper while White has proven to have a midrange game. Also White will play more minutes to start off the year than Murray since Pop is guaranteed to take it easy on Murray in the first half of the season minutes wise. Maybe in the 2020-21 season there will be real competition in who the best PG is but this year it is undoubtedly White.

MannyIsGod
08-10-2019, 12:38 AM
Anyways, this is about Derrick White getting promoted and yet not a single "good for him" or "congrats" from the IB fans.

If you wanted it to be about Derrick White then perhaps you shouldn't have been such a fucking insecure bitch with the title, TBH. Not sure why y'all have to turn this into Manu and TP again. Just root for both to be successful. Not sure why you'd want anyting else.

BillMc
08-10-2019, 04:38 AM
I'm lagging behind a bit here, but does White's making the senior team mean he's now likely to make the final team? Or is he still a long shot?

picnroll
08-10-2019, 04:52 AM
:worthy:

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/1160044903843282945

Keep thinking those instagram highlight reels make IB better though. :lol

Nice to see you’ve fully rehabbed your jerk off hand in the off season Bernie.

apalisoc_9
08-10-2019, 05:39 AM
mills is the best PG

buujness
08-10-2019, 05:51 AM
Why can't you enjoy the fact that the Spurs have both of these guys? It's not like they're never going to play together, so the minutes isn't even a real concern.

I predict that Murray and White are both going to be awesome next year, and they'll complement each other, too.

DAF86
08-10-2019, 06:00 AM
mills is the best PG

Is this the new shtick son? :lol

Genovaswitness
08-10-2019, 06:47 AM
save this thread for when bighead gets traded

C-Dub
08-10-2019, 07:03 AM
You have 3 different type of opinions here when it comes to DJM and White and everyone is titled to there opinions. My opinion is I believe DJM should start not because he is better than White but because it makes the most sense the way the team is currently constructed. DDR will have the ball in his hand a lot in that 1st unit and that would take away from White's strength if he was in the starting lineup with DDR. No way you play both DJM and White to start the game because that means you would have both Forbes and Patty in that 2nd unit and as we all know that's not Ideal. White is currently the best IQ make other players better PG that we have but fits better setting up Poeltl for easy around the basket buckets and Patty/Beli for wide open 3's which he wouldn't have the ball enough to be able to do that with the 1st unit. DJM works best with the 1st unit also because of his great rebounding to help LMA on the boards because Gay and Carroll aren't known to be great rebounders. The people who say DJM should start over White may not mean he's better just a better fit with the 1st unit, I fall in that group. The people who are straight out saying that DJM is better than White or vice versa are entitled to there opinions but it really doesn't matter until we see them play this upcoming season. I believe they both are going to be pretty good players for the Spurs. Once LW4 is really ready and Quindary is ready to lead the 2nd unit at the PG position you will eventually see (in about 2 years) a starting lineup that could possibly look something like this:

DJM, White, LW4, Luka, Poeltl

Assuming DDR and LMA is gone. It will all play out in due time.

spurspl
08-10-2019, 07:32 AM
You have 3 different type of opinions here when it comes to DJM and White and everyone is titled to there opinions. My opinion is I believe DJM should start not because he is better than White but because it makes the most sense the way the team is currently constructed. DDR will have the ball in his hand a lot in that 1st unit and that would take away from White's strength if he was in the starting lineup with DDR. No way you play both DJM and White to start the game because that means you would have both Forbes and Patty in that 2nd unit and as we all know that's not Ideal. White is currently the best IQ make other players better PG that we have but fits better setting up Poeltl for easy around the basket buckets and Patty/Beli for wide open 3's which he wouldn't have the ball enough to be able to do that with the 1st unit. DJM works best with the 1st unit also because of his great rebounding to help LMA on the boards because Gay and Carroll aren't known to be great rebounders. The people who say DJM should start over White may not mean he's better just a better fit with the 1st unit, I fall in that group. The people who are straight out saying that DJM is better than White or vice versa are entitled to there opinions but it really doesn't matter until we see them play this upcoming season. I believe they both are going to be pretty good players for the Spurs. Once LW4 is really ready and Quindary is ready to lead the 2nd unit at the PG position you will eventually see (in about 2 years) a starting lineup that could possibly look something like this:

agree that now with ddr in a roster murray is a better fit than white. But dont u think in this future line up murray is useless? Imo instead of him should be young 3&d player and white as a pg. Its more complete and versatile.

acoelho1
08-10-2019, 07:46 AM
This conversation is almost identical to when many on this forum questioned if Leonard would be a star, let alone a superstar. Murray will star in this league and you will look foolish once again with your baseless takes. As far as White is concerned in order to be a star, you need to have a strong mental toughness and supreme confidence in your ability, which White hasn’t shown yet and Murray exudes it in spades.

XDT76
08-10-2019, 08:08 AM

Why not start with DDR, Forbes, Carroll/Gay, Gay/Lyles and LMA. DDR and LMA will be the main offense and the rest provides 3 pts shooting. White and Murray can dominate the second team on both sides of the court and builds up chemistry for the future.

SpursDynasty85
08-10-2019, 08:10 AM

Seems kind of htpocrtical when you spend a lot of your time including the title of this post to goad these guys. Like you said let's just appreciate this achievement and be excited that we also have a young emerging pg in DJ!

Play Boban
08-10-2019, 10:20 AM

K...
08-10-2019, 10:39 AM
I'm lagging behind a bit here, but does White's making the senior team mean he's now likely to make the final team? Or is he still a long shot?

From today's ESPN:
. The team now has 17 players on the roster, with injured guards Kyle Lowry (thumb) and Marcus Smart (calf) to be reexamined early next week. There probably will be another cut before next weekend, when the Americans depart for Australia for three exhibition games, but the team might not cut to the final 12 until 48 hours before its first World Cup game in China on Sept. 1, Colangelo said..

FkLA
08-10-2019, 12:11 PM
He'd be a shoe-in if Lowry and Smart drop out bc of injuries. I feel like they already would've if there was a chance they wouldn't be ready for the WC though.

The fact that Young and Adebayo got cut while Bagley got promoted is good news for White though. It means that even though Fox got promoted first, if White outplays him he can take his spot.

FkLA
08-10-2019, 12:12 PM
If you wanted it to be about Derrick White then perhaps you shouldn't have been such a fucking insecure bitch with the title, TBH. Not sure why y'all have to turn this into Manu and TP again. Just root for both to be successful. Not sure why you'd want anyting else.

Thread title is just a factual statement though, tbf.

MannyIsGod
08-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Thread title is just a factual statement though, tbf.

Your first thought wasn't to praise white, it was to shit on those who like Murray. Thats why you worded it like that and why you couldn't make the post without mentioning Murray. Shits dumb.

spurspl
08-10-2019, 12:34 PM
white is the worst pg in usa team now and the last option from the bench.
1.kemba
2.fox
3.lowry
4.smart
5.white

spurs10
08-10-2019, 01:07 PM
Good for White. I hope he can make the final team. Coming this far is a big deal nonetheless.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-10-2019, 01:22 PM
:tu

Dennis the Menace
08-10-2019, 01:27 PM
More practice against good competition. Nothing but positives

SpurPadre
08-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Last thing we saw from Murray was him getting dog house treatment on the playoffs, despite being the "starting PG", tbh.

Dog treatment? You mean, like getting benched in a Game 7? Oh, wait a minute...

Enough of this Murray vs. White shit, though. Let's just root for both of them. I think Murray is the better player but I want both of them to succeed and be Spurs players for a long time.

DAF86
08-10-2019, 02:27 PM

Enough of this Murray vs. White shit, though. Let's just root for both of them. I think Murray is the better player but I want both of them to succeed and be Spurs players for a long time.

No, I mean like getting your token start each half and then never re-entering the game during the whole series, tbh.

R. DeMurre
08-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Your first thought wasn't to praise white, it was to shit on those who like Murray. Thats why you worded it like that and why you couldn't make the post without mentioning Murray. Shits dumb.

DJR210
08-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Why does it have to be a competition between them.. the best PG will assume the role.. their skill sets are different enough to work well together IMO

weebo
08-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Who cares? They're both on the Spurs.

BillMc
08-10-2019, 02:41 PM
From today's ESPN:

Cheers man. Thanks.

Hope White makes the cut

Seventyniner
08-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Pop didn't put White in the doghouse that game, White walked in there himself and laid down. All Pop did was shut the door.

pookenstein
08-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Welcome to Spurstalk. You must be new here, tbh...

spurraider21
08-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Chinook how bout bucher's cred?

Chinook
08-10-2019, 04:43 PM
Chinook how bout bucher's cred?

Already addressed in the first thread, Homes.

BD24
08-10-2019, 10:08 PM
This tbh :lol

this is the same faggot who said Doncic was a scrub :lol

ZeusWillJudge
08-10-2019, 10:42 PM
Best PG on the team promoted to Senior USA Team (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280820)

I like White, and congrats to him for getting officially moved up to the Senior USA Team. But being the best PG on this Spurs roster is sort of a dubious honor, don't you think? Sort of like being the best FT shooter on some of those old Spurs teams. The bar really isn't that high. :lol

paperboy77
08-10-2019, 11:48 PM

Robz4000
08-11-2019, 02:13 AM
Who cares? They're both on the Spurs.

Das Texan
08-11-2019, 10:35 AM
A Murray/White backcourt could be fun to watch.

Especially if White can add consistency to his outside jumper (which I think he can)

Coach X
08-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Dejounte and Derrick have to reduce drastically their turnovers. I'm eager to watch them play in October as I'm sure both of them have improved their game. I expect Murray shooting mechanics and ball handling to be better but he'll need some time to readapt to NBA rythm. White should show more consistency taking decissions, not risking the ball (hard to do for a creative player). They need to be more solid in offense and defense: they can make plays in both ends but they still have concentracion gaps.

I keep thinking Murray is Pop and Spurs' new on court General due to his character and communication skills. Popovich wants a PG that leads the offense executing the plays, controling the tempo and feeding players in their spots. White is not that kind of player, he's more intuitive and creative. I see him more in a Ginobili role: coming off the bench, leading the second unit with freedom of action.

Sure they can play together, hopefully closing games. This would mean they're reliable attacking and defending in the clutch time. The 2019-20 season should take them to another level, stablishing both as good NBA starters. Walker IV is one year behind them following the same path. To me, the interesting stuff will come from the 2020-21 season.

Pavlov
08-11-2019, 11:56 AM
No, I mean like getting your token start each half and then never re-entering the game during the whole series, tbh.I'm going to go ahead and say this is a lie.

wildbill2u
08-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Hope we get to see this team on the floor for some minutes. DJM, White, LW4, Luka, Poeltl lets see their potential.

ZeusWillJudge
08-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Hope we get to see this team on the floor for some minutes. DJM, White, LW4, Luka, Poeltl lets see their potential.

That's potentially a lottery pick next year if we see very much of it. They would have to have the best DRTG of any team in NBA history.

ZeusWillJudge
08-11-2019, 11:17 PM
Dejounte and Derrick have to reduce drastically their turnovers.

I don't understand. White's TO rate was pretty damn good. I just did a quick search of guards who played starter minutes (>1,600) and had at least 250 AST (White had 263). White's TO/100 possessions put him about 11th on the list. If you look at just PG's, he was probably about 5th in the league last season. TO's aren't his problem - he's pretty sure-handed. It was one of the things that really made him stand out last season.

If you look at guys who handled the ball a lot, and dished out as many AST's as him, most of his stats range from solid to exceptional, compared to the other guys on the list. The biggest hole in his game was 3P shooting. If his 3P% had been up around .400, his numbers would have had him pushing the list of top tier players. I'll admit, he got his ass kicked a bit in the playoffs, particularly in the TO department. But that's to be expected from a young PG whose never experienced playoff pressure. But for the entire regular season, his TO/100 possessions was exceptional, and his RB, STL, and BLK numbers were near elite among starting PG's. But it was his low TO rate that was really surprising, considering his background and having played his first year in the G-League.

Don't take my word for it - run a search for yourself. Filter out guys who played short minutes - both for sample size, and because they were playing against subs. Limit it to guards. Make sure they dished at least 250 AST - that means they were handling the ball themselves, and getting that ball pressure. White's TO rate was among the lowest.

Coach X
08-12-2019, 06:43 PM
I trust your statistical analysis. Probably my opinion about White's TOs is biased due to the relevance of some of them in key moments. He's had very good games taking care of the ball, I remember some of them even in the playoffs. He also made several costly mistakes in stretches.

I'm ok with him not completing a tough pass here and there when in exchange he creates point blank shots to teammates. Our team needs that kind of playmaking from somebody else than DeRozan, whom does it by finding the free man when he's doubled. White doesn't necessarily need to receive attention from several defenders to find a cutter, a roller in a ball screen or an open man when he penetrates. He's quite good passing.

In the other hand, both White and DeRozan are vulnerable under high defensive pressure when they dribble the ball from the defensive half court. They lack awareness in transition and broken plays as well (and thanks to their good defense they generate a lot of these situations). This is what I'm talking about when I'm thinking on reducing TOs. Murray isn't such a good passer, he has to learn the system and when and how can he pass to each teammate. DeJounte needs repetition and disciplne whilst Derrick needs confidence, but both need experience, to play more and more NBA games. I think it's about time they get better.

emanueldavidginobili
08-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Kyle Lowry withdraws from USA World Cup team

BackHome
08-12-2019, 10:30 PM
White had the same problem Poodle had in the when Gaysoft was out hurt he played great when he came back he regressed. It seemed to me when DEROZZ was hurt was when White was really balling when he came back he went back to beta mode.

TD 21
08-14-2019, 05:35 PM
For some reason, I can't post it, but there's a video on ballislife's YouTube channel of White shooting with Tatum and Middleton for about 10 minutes and let's just say it didn't go well.

Obviously don't want to read too much into it, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence that they could get away with a Murray-White-DeRozan lineup in even spot minutes.

FkLA
08-14-2019, 11:30 PM
For some reason, I can't post it, but there's a video on ballislife's YouTube channel of White shooting with Tatum and Middleton for about 10 minutes and let's just say it didn't go well.

Obviously don't want to read too much into it, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence that they could get away with a Murray-White-DeRozan lineup in even spot minutes.

Just watched some of it and tbf it's been all on the move/running around screens type 3s. I don't think he'll ever be that kind of shooter but also don't think he needs to be. As long he can spot up or shoot off the dribble when the defense goes under screens he'll be fine, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJOPErEGSEg

SpursDynasty85
08-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Just watched some of it and tbf it's been all on the move/running around screens type 3s. I don't think he'll ever be that kind of shooter but also don't think he needs to be. As long he can spot up or shoot off the dribble when the defense goes under screens he'll be fine, imo.

It does seem White has bulked up a bit. Hopefully he can improve his shooting and his frame.

TD 21
08-15-2019, 03:38 PM

There's another one today (some spot up) with him, Walker and Turner and it's even worse. Turner shoots way better off movement than him.

He keeps dropping his head after each successive miss. Confidence lacking, clearly overthinking it.

Seventyniner
08-15-2019, 04:00 PM
There's another one today (some spot up) with him, Walker and Turner and it's even worse. Turner shoots way better off movement than him.

He keeps dropping his head after each successive miss. Confidence lacking, clearly overthinking it.

Growing pains imo. Better to get over them during the summer. I think FkLA is right, I wouldn't worry too much about him not being good at sprinting to a spot, catching, and shooting like Danny used to do.