PDA

View Full Version : Spurs reportedly have not ruled out maxing out DeRozan

cd021
08-11-2019, 08:32 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2849228-nba-rumors-spurs-have-not-ruled-out-demar-derozan-max-contract-extension

Bad news if true tbh, if they do max him out and also calls into question the future of the core of Murray, White, and Walker. Making such a commitment to DDR means that he'll be eating up a lot of minutes on the wing for years to come.

A max extension for DDR would be;

Year 1 (2020-2021)-$33.3 Million

Year 2 (2021-2022)-$35.9 Million

Year 3 (2022-2023)-$38.6 Million

Year 4 (2023-2024)-$41.3 Million

=$149 million

https://projectspurs.com/2019/05/26/the-extension-options-for-the-spurs-and-derozan/

tbdog
08-11-2019, 08:54 AM
I cannot imagine the Spurs maxing him out. But I do imagine offering him a similar deal that LMA got 70mil/3years

spurspl
08-11-2019, 09:15 AM
maxing him out is one of the worst deal ever. They sign it im not a spurs fan anymore

Degoat
08-11-2019, 09:17 AM
If it’s a deal like LA got that would be fine, hopefully it’s not some crazy number

Dverde
08-11-2019, 09:29 AM
maxing him out is one of the worst deal ever. They sign it im not a spurs fan anymore

I’d still say the Pau Gasol deal is worse. Some team out there would probably give him the max in FA.

timtonymanu
08-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Smfh. PATFO deserves every bad thing coming to them if they max out this fucker.

GusT15
08-11-2019, 09:34 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/2df792a9569f75b79e9d7f00b19ddaf8/tenor.gif

GusT15
08-11-2019, 09:38 AM
FWIW,the article says Max Contract Extension.

Not Max Contract.The Max part goes to the extension bit.(Pretty much like the latest Draymond Green Max Contract Extension).

Ocotillo
08-11-2019, 09:53 AM
I would wait and see what they are going to do. It would not be wise to rule it out or in at this stage.

Genovaswitness
08-11-2019, 10:10 AM
Fuck him and fuck PATFO

sasaint
08-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Terrible idea to retain Dumbmar at any cost.

Leetonidas
08-11-2019, 10:47 AM
:vomit:

KobesAchilles
08-11-2019, 10:48 AM
I think the writer confused “max him out” with “ship him out.”

cd021
08-11-2019, 11:41 AM
I’d still say the Pau Gasol deal is worse. Some team out there would probably give him the max in FA.

They were able to get out of the Gasol deal after 2 years though, granted they are still paying him $5 million this year but even then they got that amount reduced.

A max extension for DDR would be;

Year 1 (2020-2021)-$33.3 Million

Year 2 (2021-2022)-$35.9 Million

Year 3 (2022-2023)-$38.6 Million

Year 4 (2023-2024)-$41.3 Million

=$149 million

DeRozan's deal would be a mess tbh.

acoelho1
08-11-2019, 11:47 AM
I’m never in favor of maxing out players that you probably won’t be able to trade if things goes south.

CGD
08-11-2019, 11:53 AM
No need to bid against yourselves Spurs. Just wait until next summer. I think it’ll be a tepid market for him.

Harry Callahan
08-11-2019, 11:58 AM
DeMar is a quality player on a good team. That's all and he may be as good as he'll get. That does not warrant tying up $120-140MM of cap space. Not at all.

DPG21920
08-11-2019, 12:03 PM
This is not going to happen IMO and so nothing to worry about. Might be something as simple as Mike talking to someone and they literally mention it in passing since the ability to do so exists (but no real intention)

spurs1990
08-11-2019, 12:04 PM
Why in the world would you Max a player who didn't want to be here, and you didn't want him, other than settling on him as part of trading a disgruntled player.

Add to that he's only played one year with you and outside of shiny numbers still had several red flags, personality and play wise. This report can't possibly be legitimate otherwise the FO must be operating on punishing ownership in some way.

monty4329
08-11-2019, 12:07 PM
There isn't a single reason to extend DDR. Not a single one.

But there are multiple compelling reasons to get rid of him.

Dennis the Menace
08-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Yeah, Max him out for a trade partner. But Max him out for future with Spurs? Hahahaha I think the alcoholism in the front office would be far worse than what we previously imagined.

Dex
08-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Spurs wouldn't even max Kawhi, I'll be damned it they max DeRozan after one average season.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-11-2019, 12:53 PM
why would the spurs publicly rule out giving a max contract to their best (or 2nd best) player before the season starts?

SpursDynasty85
08-11-2019, 01:26 PM
why would the spurs publicly rule out giving a max contract to their best (or 2nd best) player before the season starts?

That's what I was thinking. This is the year of whether DeMar works with the Spurs and the young core or not. If they contend and DeMar is the core then you give him a hefty contract but you definitely dont rule it out if that is what DeRozan is seeking. It's a poker game at this point on contract negotiations.

cool cat
08-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Spurs wouldn't even max Kawhi, I'll be damned it they max DeRozan after one average season.

WTH Kawhi was on a max contract.

phxspurfan
08-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Some team out there would probably give him the max in FA.

Lakers

phxspurfan
08-11-2019, 01:42 PM
No need to bid against yourselves Spurs. Just wait until next summer. I think it’ll be a tepid market for him.

Next summer there will be a lack of quality FAs. Market for him will explode if he is a FA next summer

ismael-robert
08-11-2019, 01:50 PM
Probably holding out to see how he plays this year. Lets see how he improved over summer n meshes even more in his second year in system. We may all be apologizing.

Chinook
08-11-2019, 01:53 PM
Hoping DeRozan signs for less. It wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs do want to keep him. He's a good player and will likely be one of the best players on the roster for the next couple of years. The absolute max I'd give him is $92M/3 though, because that would still allow the Spurs to trade him before the deadline. I'm hoping for something like $54-60M/2 though. If he wants to do something about $75M/3, that'd probably make it possible to add a max player without losing any core pieces outside LMA.

itzsoweezee
08-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Next summer there will be a lack of quality FAs. Market for him will explode if he is a FA next summer

Lol. No other team is going to give that scrub anything close to a max. And if one does? Good riddance! He's trash

Seventyniner
08-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Hoping DeRozan signs for less. It wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs do want to keep him. He's a good player and will likely be one of the best players on the roster for the next couple of years. The absolute max I'd give him is $92M/3 though, because that would still allow the Spurs to trade him before the deadline. I'm hoping for something like $54-60M/2 though. If he wants to do something about $75M/3, that'd probably make it possible to add a max player without losing any core pieces outside LMA.

Do you think he would take something like Aldridge did, with 2 years of decent guaranteed money and a third mostly non-guaranteed year?

Though depending on how the young guards develop, and given the Spurs' apparent priority on 2021 cap space, I'm not sure I'd even support what I just mentioned.

Leetonidas
08-11-2019, 02:35 PM
Not a DeRozan fan but some of y'all are seriously undervaluing him around the league. I guarantee he will be getting max offers as a FA next year

baseline bum
08-11-2019, 02:35 PM
Fuck the max extension, I don't want DeRozan back at anything even approaching his market value. He doesn't play defense, he shot 15.6% from the three point line, and it's only downhill from here with him on the wrong side of 30. No thanks. He might become borderline unplayable in the starting lineup if Murray's range hasn't greatly improved.

Harry Callahan
08-11-2019, 02:38 PM
He's not good enough to go out of your way to extend.

LMA is a higher tier player than DDR is and the Spurs don't want to overpay for him I don't think.

baseline bum
08-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Too bad Toronto can't trade their 2020 pick. Otherwise I'd be all for sending him back to Canada for that pick.

Keepin' it real
08-11-2019, 02:51 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ConsciousImportantBullfrog-size_restricted.gif

BatManu20
08-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Not happening imho.

LkrFan
08-11-2019, 02:56 PM
:lol

LkrFan
08-11-2019, 02:58 PM
Not a DeRozan fan but some of y'all are seriously undervaluing him around the league. I guarantee he will be getting max offers as a FA next year

From who, the Knicks? :lol

Big P
08-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Par for the course..we all know no one is gonna sign with us by choice....even though all these players at USAB talk about how great he is, not one has actually chosen to play for pop...patfo are gonna totally fuck this team

BatManu20
08-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Hate that form but if it starts going in this year, Spurs are an entirely different team.

elbamba1
08-11-2019, 03:15 PM
I suspect nothing is ruled out until he is either officially resigned, traded, or walks.

ace3g
08-11-2019, 03:16 PM
I don't know if I can look at dribble2much's IG when one of the photos is this....

B0_qKbVJcGT

R. DeMurre
08-11-2019, 03:22 PM
I don't buy it. The famously frugal Spurs are not going to max out a guy they know has obvious shortcomings along with obvious strengths...

slick'81
08-11-2019, 03:25 PM
I dont see them letting him walk for nothing.If hes not moved soon hell probably get that fat extension :flag:

Chinook
08-11-2019, 03:35 PM
Do you think he would take something like Aldridge did, with 2 years of decent guaranteed money and a third mostly non-guaranteed year?

Though depending on how the young guards develop, and given the Spurs' apparent priority on 2021 cap space, I'm not sure I'd even support what I just mentioned.

I don't think the market is really similar for the two of them. Just talking about cap percentage alone, DMDR would need to get something around $90M/3 for it to be the same level of financial commitment. I don't know if I'd support a partially guaranteed year, and I'm not sure that really appeals to DeMar, who shouldn't be close to retirement in three years (unlike LMA who could retire in a year or two without anyone really be shocked). I think both sides would prefer the two years over that for various reasons.

I don't see the downside to giving DeRozan a smart extension that reflects his true value. He's not likely to lose any more value for a while now, so if he had a trade market this summer as an expiring, he will continue to have one after he gets locked up. I'd go so far as to say most of the teams that asked after him would probably feel much better about their potential offers if DeRozan got a couple of extra years on his deal. Maxing him out would be hard to take, especially right not and as an extension. But I'm not nearly as convinced as some that he won't be better than Murray, White and Walker for years and years to come. Move him if that turns out to be wrong, but keep him as long as it's true.

TD 21
08-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Terrible idea to retain Dumbmar at any cost.

:tu

I don't think the market is really similar for the two of them. Just talking about cap percentage alone, DMDR would need to get something around $90M/3 for it to be the same level of financial commitment. I don't know if I'd support a partially guaranteed year, and I'm not sure that really appeals to DeMar, who shouldn't be close to retirement in three years (unlike LMA who could retire in a year or two without anyone really be shocked). I think both sides would prefer the two years over that for various reasons.

I don't see the downside to giving DeRozan a smart extension that reflects his true value. He's not likely to lose any more value for a while now, so if he had a trade market this summer as an expiring, he will continue to have one after he gets locked up. I'd go so far as to say most of the teams that asked after him would probably feel much better about their potential offers if DeRozan got a couple of extra years on his deal. Maxing him out would be hard to take, especially right not and as an extension. But I'm not nearly as convinced as some that he won't be better than Murray, White and Walker for years and years to come. Move him if that turns out to be wrong, but keep him as long as it's true.

Aldridge was and is the exact archetype that ages best. Unless DeRozan pulls a shocker and makes a quantum leap from 3 ala '10-11 Jefferson, he's a type that's likely to fall off a cliff in his early 30s. His free throw rate declining significantly last season was a likely precursor to this (though he remained an elite driver and finisher).

Normally with a (supposed) star, extending them would help their trade value, but it probably makes no difference in his case. In addition to what I just said, because he's so difficult to build around, there's naturally going to be a narrow market for him so whoever would have interest (Pistons and Magic are the only logical teams), would likely feel confident in getting him re-signed anyway.

Since he's useless off ball and none of the 3 young guards are exactly snipers, he'll naturally stunt their growth in terms of on ball reps and limit their minutes because they'll prioritize optimizing him.

sananspursfan21
08-11-2019, 04:09 PM

K bye!

lefty
08-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Spurms fans last season:

« I would rather have DeRozan than that traitor Kawhi!!!!!!!! »

Spurms fans today : « nooooooooooo »

Big Empty
08-11-2019, 04:12 PM
How does extending him out effect our ability to sign our young players shen their contracts are up?

itzsoweezee
08-11-2019, 04:13 PM

Maybe, because there are a lot of poorly run teams in the league. I had hoped the Spurs were smarter than that

gambit1990
08-11-2019, 04:34 PM
i hate BR so not putting stock into this. but :lmao if true.

lmao at the posters on here who said they’d rather have ddr than westbrook.

KDKSpurs24
08-11-2019, 04:35 PM
If he starts taking and making more 3s it honestly would make him a really good player (possibly elite) and I would definitely want to keep him but not for the max. I just know it’s a difficult road to be able to improve your 3 ball this late in the career especially if you’ve been someone who never liked taking them.

Joseph Kony
08-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Hate that form but if it starts going in this year, Spurs are an entirely different team.

Good to see but i'm sure this guy knows he sucks at the three and probably practices it every year he just isnt good at it. But, i will see the prior two years before coming to SA he was average from distance. if he could just be average he would be so much better for us. 15% is laughably bad

superbigtime
08-11-2019, 05:08 PM
holy crap how foolish. better not happen.

wildcardX
08-11-2019, 05:10 PM
I don't think the Spurs will offer max but they are keeping all options open for now. Besides, I don't think they will say that they don't intend on keeping him.

Strategic
08-11-2019, 05:27 PM
:pop: Don’t think for a minute that we won’t give you the ole KL treatment.

Kobe'sAchilles
08-11-2019, 05:40 PM

He shot 38 and 43 percent from corner 3s his last two seasons with Toronto. Idk wtf happened this year with the Spurs. It could be as simple as he was the only one who could consistently get in the lane and create opportunities for others so he was never really in the corner 3 position that much. Also it could be fatigue from carrying the load too early in the season and his form (what little he had) went even more to shit bc of it. I have no clue.

But you gotta think that both DJ and White are going to be able to get to the rim and set him up nicely for some corner 3s and vice versa. Tbh our season comes down to Demar getting back to Toronto form from 3, DJ being able to hit the Bruce Bowen 3 as well as open top key 3s, AND White being able to hit off the bounce 3s from like everywhere. Not impossible :lol

r0drig0lac
08-11-2019, 06:34 PM
lmao no

apalisoc_9
08-11-2019, 07:07 PM
they need to resign him. no choice

baseline bum
08-11-2019, 07:30 PM
If he starts taking and making more 3s it honestly would make him a really good player (possibly elite) and I would definitely want to keep him but not for the max. I just know it’s a difficult road to be able to improve your 3 ball this late in the career especially if you’ve been someone who never liked taking them.

If he could shoot the three at a reasonable clip he'd be an easy max player despite being awful defensively. But with the way he shoots from range I feel it would be like asking DeAndre Jordan to become a good distance shooter.

gambit1990
08-11-2019, 07:33 PM
spurs would be better off trading demar and patty for cp3 and andre roberson than giving ddr a max extension.

cp3 & gilgeous-alexander preferably, of course.

TimDunkem
08-11-2019, 10:36 PM
It would be the ultimate proof that winning isn't the goal. No team with DD as one of their most important players will ever win a ring.

monty4329
08-12-2019, 01:30 AM

So what? He is a big time net negative, at least in Spurs context. Because others will, it doesn't mean we should give him a spot on the roster. No matter the contract.

james evans
08-12-2019, 01:46 AM
Popovich is secretly trying to destroy this franchise on his way out.

tbdog
08-12-2019, 01:49 AM

You don't think the Spurs will get away with a 3 year 72mil offer like they did for LMA? Don't the Spurs see LMA is the star or at least equal with DD?

vander
08-12-2019, 02:07 AM
They're just saying that to keep his trade value high

TimmyBuckets
08-12-2019, 02:34 AM
No way they max him out now. This is probably so DePression keeps some ounce of motivation this season and doesn't kill himself.

venitian navigator
08-12-2019, 03:10 AM
I never liked DDR game. That said, I would only offer him a contract that makes him expendable in the trade market giving him a more than decent financial assurance. The LMA contract comparison is more than adequate imho, considering that LMA has been an all star last year (DDR didn't) and in patfo eyes is still considered the first option. The extension range, for giving DDR the said financial assurance, have to be for three to four years. For mantaining his market trade value, must be in the 20 to max 25 millions per year range.
Outside of that no way I would sign him...it comes to the fact that he still has one year left on his contract and not signing an extension he takes on his shoulders the risk to not have such a decent season like the last one...(and we could need his money for the DJM re-signing).

jermaine
08-12-2019, 04:00 AM
No way they max him out now. This is probably so DePression keeps some ounce of motivation this season and doesn't kill himself.

Are you fucking 12yrs old? People suffering from mental illness isnt a fucking joke. That was rude an a dick thing to say. I feel sorry for some of you dudes.

cjw
08-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Are you fucking 12yrs old? People suffering from mental illness isnt a fucking joke. That was rude an a dick thing to say. I feel sorry for some of you dudes.

:tu

DesignatedT
08-12-2019, 08:50 AM
1. Bleacher Report is a joke.
2. It's better for the team and DDR if he believes that this is the case even if it may not be true.

Mugen
08-12-2019, 08:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33izVlIOgnQ

SpursDynasty85
08-12-2019, 09:12 AM
Good to see but i'm sure this guy knows he sucks at the three and probably practices it every year he just isnt good at it. But, i will see the prior two years before coming to SA he was average from distance. if he could just be average he would be so much better for us. 15% is laughably bad

He was a lot better at 3's before he came to the Spurs. Last year with Murray out and Popovich having to integrate so many moving parts, Demar's improvement at the 3 was last priority once the season started imo. His range should give him average to above average efficiency if he is "open" at the corner 3's.

look_at_g_shred
08-12-2019, 09:37 AM
If it's not coming from MoSpur, I don't want to hear it tbqh fwiw imho

SpursforSix
08-12-2019, 09:53 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/2df792a9569f75b79e9d7f00b19ddaf8/tenor.gif

:vomit:

https://media.tenor.com/images/4666cb8891cec8cb3498396e4a4112c1/tenor.gif

Truth4sale$
08-12-2019, 11:07 AM
I imagine the Spurs are trying to keep peace with Demarr's camp. He knows what he has to do to be an elite player, he is not on the level of Klay Thompson or James Harden. To get the MONEY in today's game, he has to be a 3pt shooter or forget it.

gambit1990
08-12-2019, 12:50 PM
demar will never be “elite”.

Kurgan
08-12-2019, 01:19 PM
Defrozen's actual value is closer to that of a Lou Williams than a true star like Kawhi or Harden. In fact, Lou's probably more valuable because of his ability to shoot the three ball. Any talk of maxing out Demar should be thrown out the window. He hasn't done anything in his career to justify anything more than Lou Williams type money. Accounting for the fact that Lou's currently underpaid, I think $15 million per year is more than fair for a career loser like Demar. If he doesn't like it, he can walk. Spurs are better off without Kmart Kobe in any case. No need to bend over backwards for a moron that refuses to update his game to the modern era.

Collins21
08-12-2019, 01:29 PM
Defrozen's actual value is closer to that of a Lou Williams than a true star like Kawhi or Harden. In fact, Lou's probably more valuable because of his ability to shoot the three ball. Any talk of maxing out Demar should be thrown out the window. He hasn't done anything in his career to justify anything more than Lou Williams type money. Accounting for the fact that Lou's currently underpaid, I think $15 million per year is more than fair for a career loser like Demar. If he doesn't like it, he can walk. Spurs are better off without Kmart Kobe in any case. No need to bend over backwards for a moron that refuses to update his game to the modern era.

You're an idiot who knows jack shit about basketball. A career loser would be Anthony Davis who has never won jack shit but I doubt you would say he doesn't deserve the max.

Genovaswitness
08-12-2019, 01:39 PM
You're an idiot who knows jack shit about basketball. A career loser would be Anthony Davis who has never won jack shit but I doubt you would say he doesn't deserve the max.

anthony Davis is like 5 years younger and is a PF. I think he’s 3pt% is actually higher than defrozan’s :lmao

Collins21
08-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Ok but is he or is he not a career loser?

Chomag
08-12-2019, 03:59 PM
DDR is a pretty decent sidekick to have with a couple of stars but in sorry he ain't worth near max player worth. Lmao if FO is really considering this.

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-12-2019, 04:10 PM
I don’t think they are going to give him the Max. Well I hope they aren’t anyway.

Manu&Duncan fan
08-12-2019, 04:13 PM

Totally agree with you! Some span fans are so mean. It's a disgrace for the decency of Span's tradition.

RC_Drunkford
08-13-2019, 07:35 AM
should be 3 years or less (or 3 + team option) and under 30 million yearly if he can hit 3s. Hell no to a 4 year max

FkLA
08-13-2019, 12:08 PM
You don't think the Spurs will get away with a 3 year 72mil offer like they did for LMA? Don't the Spurs see LMA is the star or at least equal with DD?

The cap goes up every year, so no 3/72 doesn't have the same value today as it did when LMA got it. Remember when Conley got his deal just a few years ago and everyone couldn't believe he was getting $30+ mill/yr? Now you have guys making close to $50 mill/yr.

Start looking at it as a percentage of a team's cap space, not the raw annual amount.

Floyd Pacquiao
08-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Giving derozan a contract would be such a post big 3 spurs move

TimmyBuckets
08-13-2019, 03:59 PM

I'm sorry. It won't happen again. That was unacceptable.

Dverde
08-13-2019, 04:17 PM
He is still a max player. I consider him top 50. The question is do you want him to be a max player on your team. We have so much young depth at guard, I don’t think it makes much sense right now. Kinda a sucky situation.

cd021
08-13-2019, 05:29 PM
He is still a max player. I consider him top 50. The question is do you want him to be a max player on your team. We have so much young depth at guard, I don’t think it makes much sense right now. Kind a a sucky situation.

A veteran max player should be an elite player, if he's in the 30's or 40's then that means he isn't a max player. He's on the wrong side of 30 without a 3pt shot and poor defense, that means he's more likely to continue to drop on that list each season. I would hope that at PATFO lets him play the year out and let him walk unless he takes a team favorable short term deal.

Dverde
08-13-2019, 06:19 PM
A veteran max player should be an elite player, if he's in the 30's or 40's then that means he isn't a max player. He's on the wrong side of 30 without a 3pt shot and poor defense, that means he's more likely to continue to drop on that list each season. I would hope that at PATFO lets him play the year out and let him walk unless he takes a team favorable short term deal.

#40 payroll player in the NBA signed a max salary deal under today’s salary cap.

Well I was wrong #40 is Aaron Gordon. He signed just under the max.

gambit1990
08-13-2019, 06:43 PM
move him to okc and be done with it.

cp3 & gilgeous-alexander, come on down :stirpot:

ace3g
08-13-2019, 06:49 PM
https://twitter.com/YahooCASports/status/1161320385981440000

Chinook
08-13-2019, 11:16 PM
If they want to trade for him, I'm good with it, provided they come correct with their offer. Something like Ibaka, OG and a first for DeRozan and Metu. The Kawhi trade would essentially be two firsts, two prospects and an expiring. I doubt any side would actually want to do this, though.

Murray, Mills
Forbes, White, Belinelli
Anunoby, Gay, Walker, Johnson
Ibaka, Carroll, Samanic
Aldridge, Poeltl, Lyles

If you can slide Walker in and Mills out, that's a pretty fast and versatile rotation. There's still a legit chance of missing the playoffs if the guards don't play well, but there's a chance of keeping a lot of that team together if it works out.

gambit1990
08-14-2019, 12:25 AM
If they want to trade for him, I'm good with it, provided they come correct with their offer. Something like Ibaka, OG and a first for DeRozan and Metu.
:lmao

you'll have to try harder than that.

ibaka, OG, and a first for demar and metu... wtf :lol

masai wouldn't trade ibaka and OG for demar, metu, and two first round picks.

ZeusWillJudge
08-14-2019, 12:26 AM
If they want to trade for him, I'm good with it, provided they come correct with their offer. Something like Ibaka, OG and a first for DeRozan and Metu. The Kawhi trade would essentially be two firsts, two prospects and an expiring. I doubt any side would actually want to do this, though.

Murray, Mills
Forbes, White, Belinelli
Anunoby, Gay, Walker, Johnson
Ibaka, Carroll, Samanic
Aldridge, Poeltl, Lyles

If you can slide Walker in and Mills out, that's a pretty fast and versatile rotation. There's still a legit chance of missing the playoffs if the guards don't play well, but there's a chance of keeping a lot of that team together if it works out.

So you're seeing White as a backup 2 guard, behind Forbes? And the most likely replacement for Mills at backup PG is LWIV?

I guess Derrick White has no business at the point in ChinookWorld.

gambit1990
08-14-2019, 12:26 AM
masai knows how much a loser demar is.

gambit1990
08-14-2019, 12:43 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Sh6z4SD.png

+ two spurs first round draft picks & one second round draft pick.

cp3 / white
murray / walker
alexander / carroll

alpha_HaZE
08-14-2019, 12:45 AM
I would be surprised if the Spurs offered him the absolute max, in my own humble opinion, a DG kind of extension 4 year/100mi I would be fine with it. Especially if he improves his 3p%. Something that he has been working this summer.

alpha_HaZE
08-14-2019, 01:31 AM

cp3 / white
murray / walker
alexander / carroll

Yes, why not, let's play mini ball with DJ, White, CP3, SGA, and Walker.

Ignazzz
08-14-2019, 01:33 AM
Alexander is pipe dream. Forget about him

venitian navigator
08-14-2019, 02:31 AM
if Toronto is interested in him, the trade proposed by Chinook makes sense more for Toronto than for us...despite comments by some Toronto fan. They have no back court star considering Lowry is getting older and older, RHJ and S. Johnson are just good defensive players with no outside shot or offensive game, and Powell is gonna be the only one shooting guard. I agree Ibaka had a decent season but the only young guy with some chance to ofer something new is Boucher, that plays his role, and Anunoby comes from a no stats season (and the players they took on market, aka SJ and RHJ, both play his role...back to Ibaka and Anunoby, they have the same contract status of DDR (one year) neither of them is an all star, is gonna be an all star next years or can give Toronto a chance to be in the play offs this year; DDR, if back in the east, can.
Once lost n° 2 and Green I frankly see Toronto as a team in great peril to not even make the play offs...and Siakam is gonna be hard tested considering on paper is gonna be their first option...they desperately need an offensive wing and DDR already knows the system and players...I see no better option for them that having him back...the point imho is not if Toronto wants to make that trade, but if the Spurs are interested...

gambit1990
08-14-2019, 03:50 AM
Yes, why not, let's play mini ball with DJ, White, CP3, SGA, and Walker.
dj, white, cp3, SGA, walker > dj, white, patty, demar, walker

and SGA is an inch shorter than demar :lol

SGA will be a better defender than ddr too.

gambit1990
08-14-2019, 04:07 AM
Alexander is pipe dream. Forget about him
if PG and WB can be had then so can alexander... it’s just about making the deal sweet enough. taking on cp3’s contract does a lot...

spurspl
08-14-2019, 06:26 AM

cp3 / white
murray / walker
alexander / carroll

thats a great deal for okc but not so great for us. cp3 is a trash and has a huuuuge contract. Spurs would be stuck with pgs and lost so many draft picks. Not worth it for SGA. U can find a better trades for ddr.

Dverde
08-14-2019, 07:14 AM
The OKC trade that makes sense is Steven Adams to the Spurs (younger big), Aldridge and Marco to Portland (makes them title contenders this year), Whiteside and picks to OKC (Expiring contract). I wouldn’t do it, but there is some sense to it. Chris Paul makes no sense with our roster.

John B
08-14-2019, 08:02 AM
I don’t think they would max DDR because of jeopardizing paying White, Murray, Lonnie, Poeltl. I would expect a similar number that LMA got 3 years, with 3rd year player option.

cd021
08-14-2019, 08:53 AM
I don’t think they would max DDR because of jeopardizing paying White, Murray, Lonnie, Poeltl. I would expect a similar number that LMA got 3 years, with 3rd year player option.

I still find it hard to imagine even a 3 year extension for DDR, that's 4 years of DeRozan, even if it's for around what he's making now that's a lot to invest.

Also brings into question Walker and K.J's role long term.
DeRozan would be eating up a lot of wing minutes.

Not so much worried about re-signing White, Murray, and Poeltl. Aldridge comes off the books when White is up for his deal, Poeltl will hopefully fall into the $5-7 million a season and Murray probably figured around 4 years $70 million if he has a solid season

BSfromTX
08-14-2019, 09:15 AM
Extending DD is cap suicide

Genovaswitness
08-14-2019, 09:39 AM
has this fucking moron repped the spurs AT ALL this offseason? first USC, now raptors, but no not the team he’s FLEECING for 30m/yr :lmao

BillMc
08-14-2019, 12:47 PM

cp3 / white
murray / walker
alexander / carroll

Do we really want Chris Paul at this stage of his career with that contract?

gambit1990
08-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Do we really want Chris Paul at this stage of his career with that contract?
if SGA comes with and it means not maxing DDR, then yes.

Fusternino
08-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Give up both LMA and Marco for Adams?

LOL.

TD 21
08-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Don't conflate the Raptors trading DeRozan as them doing so for a chance at a championship. They didn't want him; getting the latter in the bargain was basically the icing on the cake. They'd been trying to trade him for a couple of years (supposedly offered for Wiggins in the '17 off season), just couldn't find a trade that made sense . . . until the Spurs decided to not only bail them out, but gift wrap them a championship too.

If they wouldn't give up Anunoby for said chance at a championship, they're damn sure not doing it for him.

Gilgeous-Alexander is virtually off limits. The Thunder aren't in a rush to trade Paul. They've basically got their house in order financially now, so they'll wait out the Heat and whoever else (Lakers and Bucks make sense, but it's difficult to make the math work) and eventually move him while either having to attach a minor asset or none at all.

Chinook
08-14-2019, 07:37 PM

cp3 / white
murray / walker
alexander / carroll

It's amazing that people didn't see you were trolling with this.

Payote75
08-15-2019, 12:26 AM
No to CP43 he is done and his contract is horrific we might as well sign derozan for 10 years and give him part ownership....no to Paul but I'm open to keeping our youngsters and trading DD for a young forward I'd even consider Haywood.....but still even though u guys hate it I'm still for Wiggins youth all around he surrounded with better young players and in a system where not to many fail with the best coach on the planet and Timmy there too now.

ace3g
08-16-2019, 05:55 PM
https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1162485291216592896

KobesAchilles
08-16-2019, 06:01 PM
I say trade him for Hayward and give the youngsters a chance at playing time.

cd021
10-04-2019, 08:43 AM
Spurs and DeRozan talking extension per Shams, "nothing imminent"...

gambit1990
12-30-2019, 04:39 PM
first spurs-okc proposal of mine from august. people thought this would be bad for the spurs :lol

i was willing to give up three draft picks for SGA... would've been worth it.

cp3 / white
murray / walker
alexander / carroll

Prime BEEF
12-30-2019, 05:21 PM
first spurs-okc proposal of mine from august. people thought this would be bad for the spurs :lol

Would throw in Murray and keep those draft picks

slick'81
12-30-2019, 05:29 PM
Dear god please dont resign dumbar

GAustex
12-30-2019, 06:01 PM
Dear god please dont resign dumbar
Please do not extend ddr.
Trade him if you can to a 6’7” 3D shooter and a muscle bound defender/rebounder/shooter would be nice decent PF who total ddr salary.

slick'81
12-30-2019, 06:52 PM
Please do not extend ddr.
Trade him if you can to a 6’7” 3D shooter and a muscle bound defender/rebounder/shooter would be nice decent PF who total ddr salary.

I just hope the offers arent as bad as we fear for #10

RC_Drunkford
12-30-2019, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to say this. If the Spurs run their offense consistently like they did against the Pistons the DeRozan/Aldridge combo might work. DeRozan is not clutch and not a good defender, but if you use him as a playmaker he can be pretty efficient. Let him score in the paint and dish out when he sucks in the defense

ZeusWillJudge
12-30-2019, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to say this. If the Spurs run their offense consistently like they did against the Pistons the DeRozan/Aldridge combo might work. DeRozan is not clutch and not a good defender, but if you use him as a playmaker he can be pretty efficient. Let him score in the paint and dish out when he sucks in the defense

DeRozan would be a lot more tolerable if he wasn't on the floor with midget non-defending 2 guards.

Prime BEEF
12-30-2019, 07:15 PM
DeRozan would be a lot more tolerable if he wasn't on the floor with midget non-defending 2 guards.
If you have PG and SF that are excellent defenders and 3pt shooters they could mask some of DDR’s deficiencies but you shouldn’t have to do that for your highest paid player

RC_Drunkford
12-30-2019, 07:19 PM
I'm not saying max him out, but if this offense works and the team starts to get over 0.500 they should try to upgrade at SG and PF to improve the defense and see how this season pans out

GAustex
12-30-2019, 07:27 PM
Just saying if you go with this philosophy then DDR at SG and a 3D SF who guards and is bigger would be even better.
See ya Forbes.

RC_Drunkford
12-30-2019, 07:29 PM
Just saying if you go with this philosophy then DDR at SG and a 3D SF who guards and is bigger would be even better.
See ya Forbes.

True, but even a taller SG like Bogdanovic would already improve the defense considering Forbes' height

slick'81
12-30-2019, 07:31 PM
I still say derozan opts in and plays out his curent deal.Spurs will run this back next season when lma and ddr will finally expire

cd021
12-30-2019, 07:34 PM
I still say derozan opts in and plays out his curent deal.Spurs will run this back next season when lma and ddr will finally expire

Thats the most likely outcome tbh. It would be better than re-signing him.

TDMVPDPOY
12-30-2019, 08:49 PM
hopefully they dont max him and trade his ass

chucking to get his stats to ruin the offense is not good...

i think walker is already better then this scrub

Leetonidas
12-30-2019, 09:01 PM

Why would OKC give up their future star for that platter of trash :lol at least propose something that actually makes sense

DPG21920
12-30-2019, 09:09 PM
Orlando is losing to ATL in ORL without Trae - let’s see if that holds with 3:30 left. But might be something that spurs them on to make a move...

Joseph Kony
12-30-2019, 09:17 PM
Orlando is losing to ATL in ORL without Trae - let’s see if that holds with 3:30 left. But might be something that spurs them on to make a move...

they've been in free fall lately and were one of the teams actually with interest in him. they may be our best trading partner, too bad most of their roster is pretty underwhelming

DPG21920
12-30-2019, 09:19 PM
they've been in free fall lately and were one of the teams actually with interest in him. they may be our best trading partner, too bad most of their roster is pretty underwhelming

True but you can see a scenario where SA walks away happy (Gordon, Mo Bamba, picks, 3-team deal). Nothing that will make you say “wow” but some packages that give you a shot at something decent/younger.

slick'81
12-30-2019, 09:28 PM
True but you can see a scenario where SA walks away happy (Gordon, Mo Bamba, picks, 3-team deal). Nothing that will make you say “wow” but some packages that give you a shot at something decent/younger.

Wish spurs could of pryed away fournier with gordon before he blew up

tholdren
12-30-2019, 10:02 PM
Pay him more than lma. Lma is a bum

KobesAchilles
12-30-2019, 10:56 PM
Isn’t he already making more than LMA?

ZeusWillJudge
12-30-2019, 10:57 PM
If you have PG and SF that are excellent defenders and 3pt shooters they could mask some of DDR’s deficiencies but you shouldn’t have to do that for your highest paid player

"Shouldn't have to" is sort of beside the point. I agree with you, but here we are.

It would be nice to have a 1 and a 2 that were both also excellent defenders. But I think you could hide DeRozan well enough with some mid-range defenders. By well enough, I mean that his offensive firepower could more than compensate for his defensive shortcomings. When he's out there with Bryn, it's just a fire drill for opposing offenses.

gambit1990
12-30-2019, 11:33 PM
Why would OKC give up their future star for that platter of trash :lol at least propose something that actually makes sense
that was before his stock was high as it is now. i've known the spurs can't acquire SGA for a while now.

offset formation
12-31-2019, 12:45 AM

Bum = future HOF, LMAO.

RC_Drunkford
12-31-2019, 06:24 AM
"Shouldn't have to" is sort of beside the point. I agree with you, but here we are.

It would be nice to have a 1 and a 2 that were both also excellent defenders. But I think you could hide DeRozan well enough with some mid-range defenders. By well enough, I mean that his offensive firepower could more than compensate for his defensive shortcomings. When he's out there with Bryn, it's just a fire drill for opposing offenses.

that's not even the main issue though. Spurs would not only need a good defensive wing, but he would also have to be a dead-eye high-volume 3-point shooter. That's why Forbes is starting. Somebody like Bogdanovic would already improve things, although he's a mediocre defender, but he's taller than Bryn. I'd love to get Joe Harris in free agency, but the Spurs won't have the money for him unless DeRozan opts out. Don't know if there is anybody else on the market who fits that profile

XDT76
12-31-2019, 06:28 AM
that's not even the main issue though. Spurs would not only need a good defensive wing, but he would also have to be a dead-eye high-volume 3-point shooter. That's why Forbes is starting. Somebody like Bogdanovic would already improve things, although he's a mediocre defender, but he's taller than Bryn. I'd love to get Joe Harris in free agency, but the Spurs won't have the money for him unless DeRozan opts out. Don't know if there is anybody else on the market who fits that profile

Maybe wolves would trade Covington for Beli and Forbes so that they can retool next summer, once they decided that they cannot make the PO.

RC_Drunkford
12-31-2019, 06:31 AM
Maybe wolves would trade Covington for Beli and Forbes so that they can retool next summer, once they decided that they cannot make the PO.

They can certainly get a better package than that. 2020 free agency class is weak, so I doubt they would look for cap space. They probably want a pick back, Covington is on a very team friendly deal. I think for the Spurs to get a starting caliber player back, they will have to attach their first round pick

XDT76
12-31-2019, 08:56 AM
They can certainly get a better package than that. 2020 free agency class is weak, so I doubt they would look for cap space. They probably want a pick back, Covington is on a very team friendly deal. I think for the Spurs to get a starting caliber player back, they will have to attach their first round pick

Which probably is OK as the upcoming draft is seen as weak and Spurs had too many young players competing for places.

RC_Drunkford
12-31-2019, 09:21 AM
Which probably is OK as the upcoming draft is seen as weak and Spurs had too many young players competing for places.

yeah I'm thinking if they would be willing to trade that pick. I don't know much about the upcoming draft class, but since this is a rebuild on the fly I assume they would rather keep the pick. They certainly need to upgrade one of the spots in the starting line up either at SG or at one of the forward spots

JuneJive
12-31-2019, 10:14 AM
Jesus. Extending him is a real possibility.

jermaine
12-31-2019, 10:50 AM
I know its 2k, but if you ran a lineup with
White
Derozen
Carroll
Gay
LaMarcus
With Demar as the primary ball handler, its so fucking fun. I'd love to see what that lineup could do in real life.

ZeusWillJudge
12-31-2019, 11:09 AM

It depends on what you mean by "on the market", and what you mean by "high volume". There are guys who could be acquired, but the ones who are proven to fit that profile are going to be expensive, and the Spurs have been hell-bent on keeping themselves in cap hell. I've been screaming about that for three seasons, and this is the reason why. One of the only ways the Spurs are going to get the guy you described is to find one who isn't currently getting the minutes, and so isn't getting as many 3PA/game. E'Twaun Moore with the Pelicans is one of those.

Still, the Spurs could have added a guy or two that would have been a lot better than this. A few years ago, I screamed for the Spurs to pick up an undrafted guy named Fred VanVleet - you may have heard of him. Max Strus was undrafted this year, same deal. (Strus got badly injured recently, so we may never know.) I also wanted them to snatch Darius Miller out of free agency this offseason, for the same reason - he got hurt too, so maybe I just have a knack for picking injury potential.

The Spurs could improve this team today if they would spin Forbes for whatever they could get, and put Walt Lemon on the roster in his place. If they got Lemon the shots Bryn is getting, I guarantee you he would have the 3P% to earn the minutes. He's taller than Bryn, he's a better defender than Bryn, and he knocks down the 3 ball. And unlike Bryn, he could actually make defender pay for running at him too hard, because he could actually get past them to the paint. Just let him play the 2 like Bryn, and the team improves. Forbes may put up some points, but his horrible defense makes people around him worse. And DDR is the one that really suffers from it the most.

ZeusWillJudge
12-31-2019, 11:31 AM

I would be all for getting Covington, but I can't stretch my imagination to getting him in exchange for Beli and Forbes. Christmas is over, and the fat man didn't carry either of them away.

It makes a big difference whether the Spurs are going to be holding the 17th pick, or something like the 8th. You want to throw in a Top 10 protected pick to land Covington and then tank, I'm all for it. The draft will be weak, but it won't be empty. The 2016 draft was really poor, but there were guys in there that I'd like to have on this team. With a Top 10 pick, the Spurs would have a shot at a draft sleeper, if they're capable of recognizing him.

But getting rid of Beli and Forbes, gaining Covington, and losing the 17 pick in this draft? Yeah.

XDT76
12-31-2019, 01:19 PM
I would be all for getting Covington, but I can't stretch my imagination to getting him in exchange for Beli and Forbes. Christmas is over, and the fat man didn't carry either of them away.

It makes a big difference whether the Spurs are going to be holding the 17th pick, or something like the 8th. You want to throw in a Top 10 protected pick to land Covington and then tank, I'm all for it. The draft will be weak, but it won't be empty. The 2016 draft was really poor, but there were guys in there that I'd like to have on this team. With a Top 10 pick, the Spurs would have a shot at a draft sleeper, if they're capable of recognizing him.

But getting rid of Beli and Forbes, gaining Covington, and losing the 17 pick in this draft? Yeah.

I was hoping that the currently situation at the wolves would cause them to target DDR in the offseason and thus exchanging Covington for a pair of expiring contracts would be attractive enough for them. As they are quite well stocked at SF. If the Spurs gonna keep this roster then I hope they re-role white to be a 3 and D. They simply had too many players that needs the ball in their hands including Lonnie and Keldon.

ZeusWillJudge
12-31-2019, 02:26 PM
I was hoping that the currently situation at the wolves would cause them to target DDR in the offseason and thus exchanging Covington for a pair of expiring contracts would be attractive enough for them. As they are quite well stocked at SF. If the Spurs gonna keep this roster then I hope they re-role white to be a 3 and D. They simply had too many players that needs the ball in their hands including Lonnie and Keldon.

Hey, I wasn't bashing the idea of trading for Covington at all. I agree with RC that they can get a better deal, but if the Spurs could pull it off it would be a good trade. You're not talking trading DeRozan for Curry or something like a lot of people suggest.

As for trading DDR in the offseason, we don't even know if he'll opt in for next season. This FA class is so thin, he's arguably the top unrestricted player on the list. People here can complain all they want, but there will be teams throwing serious cash at him.