PDA

View Full Version : Succession on HBO

DC23
08-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Anyone watching? Season 2 dropped last night.

InRareForm
08-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Great show. Season 1 started off a little slow but it picked up and the bold characters are what make the show.

Epsiode 1 of s2 was solid

paperboy77
08-18-2019, 05:48 PM
Letting it build up... like to binge those series. Succession though started great then go a little stale. Had enough good moments to want to keep watching.

SpursforSix
09-02-2019, 02:45 AM
Man...this is a great show

SpursforSix
09-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Any of y'all watching this? You're missing out.

InRareForm
03-30-2023, 10:45 AM
Season 4 started off great . So many good lines

SpursforSix
03-30-2023, 11:15 AM
Season 4 started off great . So many good lines

Best show on TV right now imo. The writing and actors are fantastic. I re-watched the first three seasons earlier this month. It might make my top 5 shows of all time. Sucks that this is the final season.

Blake
03-30-2023, 05:45 PM
Fun show for sure. I feel like Greg is one noogie away from going postal on them

DMX7
03-30-2023, 08:28 PM
Best show on TV right now imo. The writing and actors are fantastic. I re-watched the first three seasons earlier this month. It might make my top 5 shows of all time. Sucks that this is the final season.

It's actually gotten better with each season. I'd have to say it's the best show on TV right now too.

leemajors
04-03-2023, 09:33 AM

I couldn't get into it, didn't like any of the characters. I tried because I liked Peep Show so much.

SpursforSix
04-03-2023, 10:48 AM
I couldn't get into it, didn't like any of the characters. I tried because I liked Peep Show so much.

I'm surprised you didn't like it. I've heard the same thing from other friends that tried to watch it and they gave up pretty quick.
What's the connection with Peep Show? I've never heard of that.

leemajors
04-03-2023, 10:53 AM
I'm surprised you didn't like it. I've heard the same thing from other friends that tried to watch it and they gave up pretty quick.
What's the connection with Peep Show? I've never heard of that.

Jesse Armstrong (co-)created both shows

SpursforSix
04-03-2023, 10:55 AM
Jesse Armstrong (co-)created both shows
So are you recommending Peep Show?

leemajors
04-03-2023, 10:58 AM
So are you recommending Peep Show?

It's great! I think it was on Hulu when I watched it a few years ago

SpursforSix
04-04-2023, 09:35 AM
It's great! I think it was on Hulu when I watched it a few years ago

Just started this last night and watched four episodes. Yeah...I think I'm going to like this one. It took me a sec to get used to the camera angles but it's funny. Lots of cringe moments. The last episode I watched was the one whee Jez got f'd up with Super Hans and was trying to remember what went really bad that night.

Spurs Homer
04-05-2023, 10:50 AM
Finally started watching this…about TWO WEEKS AGO- watched first episode season 1

then i just have not made the time to continue- doesnt help that episode 1/season1 was lukewarm- and i can see it might be well written

But just hasnt compelled me to return…

also - did the exact same thing with - YOUR HONOR
watched all of season one and enjoyed it…

watched episode 1 /season 2 - and now i got 9 episodes recorded and every day i almost just delete it - then decide i may return to it

but …

SpursforSix
04-05-2023, 11:48 AM
Finally started watching this…about TWO WEEKS AGO- watched first episode season 1

then i just have not made the time to continue- doesnt help that episode 1/season1 was lukewarm- and i can see it might be well written

watched episode 1 /season 2 - and now i got 9 episodes recorded and every day i almost just delete it - then decide i may return to it

but …

Holy shit. I thought Season 1 of Your Honor was awful. But heard Season 2 was better.

SpursforSix
04-05-2023, 11:58 AM

but …

Double post.

Spurs Homer
04-05-2023, 01:12 PM
Holy shit. I thought Season 1 of Your Honor was awful. But heard Season 2 was better.

maybe there is just too many other good things to watch/things to do

usually, when im done with everything…i think im going to finish these shows- then something better to watch comes up

like - WACO

lol

SpursforSix
04-05-2023, 03:09 PM
maybe there is just too many other good things to watch/things to do

usually, when im done with everything…i think im going to finish these shows- then something better to watch comes up

like - WACO

lol

If I can't get excited in the first season, I'm usually out until there's enough buzz to make me want to stick it out. I bet I watched the first few episodes of GOT before I finally watched the whole thing.
Also, if it's on an app I don't use much, I'll often never get back to it. I enjoyed the first season of Godfather of Harlem but I think it was on Showtime so I never got back around to wanting to re-up.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-10-2023, 07:51 AM
Best episode of anything on television in the last five years. Beyond stunned

SpursforSix
04-10-2023, 09:53 PM
10882551 (tel:10882551)[/URL]]Best episode of anything on television in the last five years. Beyond stunned

agree 100%. It was about as perfect as you can get. The writing is always spot on but the actors are so great.

I know you threw out “5 years”. But I can’t think much, if anything, that I hung on every single word.

InRareForm
04-11-2023, 01:04 PM
So many emotions and great acting in that last episode.

SpursforSix
04-11-2023, 03:25 PM

Brian Cox (no homo) is pretty well acknowledged. But this series is going to boost a lot of those other actors. Deservedly so assuming they take the right roles.

Blake
04-11-2023, 07:14 PM
Brian Cox (no homo) is pretty well acknowledged. But this series is going to boost a lot of those other actors. Deservedly so assuming they take the right roles.

Culkin already hosted Saturday night live last season. Dude is hilarious in this show.

SpursforSix
04-12-2023, 01:24 AM
Culkin already hosted Saturday night live last season. Dude is hilarious in this show.

Yeah…I’m not saying they’re hacks. Culkin has been good in some random stuff. He was great in Iggby Goes Down. And Macfayden is certainly accomplished. Just saying that this is probably the biggest thing any of them have done and should lead to some opportunities.

Blake
04-12-2023, 10:00 AM

It was great to be sure but damn it dragged on and on. I had to fast forward thru some of it

InRareForm
04-12-2023, 10:31 AM

Like a podcast I listen to it. It's a whole new show now. Actors e going to get tons of playing time now

DMX7
04-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Who would have thought Kieran would go on to become the more successful Culkin brother? Honestly, who??

SpursforSix
04-17-2023, 09:57 PM
Who would have thought Kieran would go on to become the more successful Culkin brother? Honestly, who??

i mean it was pretty easy to imagine. A toss up at worst.

leemajors
04-18-2023, 09:15 AM
i mean it was pretty easy to imagine. A toss up at worst.

One has 4 movies that collectively grossed almost a billion bucks, I guess it is how you determine success.

SpursforSix
04-18-2023, 10:31 AM
One has 4 movies that collectively grossed almost a billion bucks, I guess it is how you determine success.

True. I just read it as "better". But if he really meant success in terms of dollars, it's Macaulay. But I think that contradicts what he was saying.

Blake
04-18-2023, 11:34 AM
I think he means who would have thought younger Culkin would be more popular in the year 2023. I guess?

SpursforSix
04-18-2023, 12:24 PM
I think he means who would have thought younger Culkin would be more popular in the year 2023. I guess?

I heard an interview with the younger one (I never can remember how to spell there names) on NPR and he took big breaks from acting along the way.

The Gemini Method
04-18-2023, 04:50 PM
Good to see actors like Peter Friedman (Frank) and David Rasche (Karl) getting the shine from the show. J. Smith Cameron and Allan Ruck also getting great roles as well.

Blake
04-18-2023, 11:08 PM
Lol I see David Rasche and I remember this old TV show he started in called Sledge Hammer... Basically a rip of Naked Gun

The Gemini Method
04-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Lol I see David Rasche and I remember this old TV show he started in called Sledge Hammer... Basically a rip of Naked Gun

Never watched that, but I know when I first saw Ruck I was flashing back to Ferris. Like, oh, this is what happened to Cameron Frye...

SpursforSix
04-20-2023, 11:40 AM
Good to see actors like Peter Friedman (Frank) and David Rasche (Karl) getting the shine from the show. J. Smith Cameron and Allan Ruck also getting great roles as well.

He'll keep calling me, he'll keep calling me until I come over. He'll make me feel guilty. This is uh... This is ridiculous, ok I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go. What - I'LL GO. Shit.

The Gemini Method
04-20-2023, 11:54 AM
Proceeds to rev the Mercedes. Need to watch that movie again.

SpursforSix
04-20-2023, 02:04 PM
Proceeds to rev the Mercedes. Need to watch that movie again.

I had to fact check that. From the internets, it was an Alfa. I just remember it was a fucking beater.

The Gemini Method
04-20-2023, 02:34 PM
I had to fact check that. From the internets, it was an Alfa. I just remember it was a fucking beater. I was going off memory, so my recall of what car it was would more than likely be off. I do remember him rocking a Red Wings jersey.

SpursforSix
04-20-2023, 04:34 PM
I was going off memory, so my recall of what car it was would more than likely be off. I do remember him rocking a Red Wings jersey.

And I respect that. Before you fact checked it and gave the exact model, make, and year.

SpursforSix
04-24-2023, 01:23 PM
What a solid season so far. Some of the best episodes of the whole series. Kind of sad that they're quitting at their peak.
But I guess it's better than dragging it out forever.

The Gemini Method
04-24-2023, 04:10 PM
What a solid season so far. Some of the best episodes of the whole series. Kind of sad that they're quitting at their peak.
But I guess it's better than dragging it out forever. Really liked how they tied in the Leo DiCaprio tidbit and the turn of Shiv.

monosylab1k
04-28-2023, 08:06 PM
Top 5 opening credits in TV history tbh

in no particular order:
Succession
The Sopranos
The Simpsons
Mad Men
Freaks And Geeks

SpursforSix
04-29-2023, 09:44 AM
Top 5 opening credits in TV history tbh

in no particular order:
Succession
The Sopranos
The Simpsons
Mad Men
Freaks And Geeks

This is a threadworthy topic. Succession is brilliant and they’re constantly playing variations of the theme throughout the show.

I’ll throw out the first season of True Detective.

Blake
04-29-2023, 10:36 AM
I liked the story the intro told and I get that the banging piano added that kinda dysfunction to these kids growing up, but I had to skip intro every time

SpursforSix
04-29-2023, 12:31 PM
I liked the story the intro told and I get that the banging piano added that kinda dysfunction to these kids growing up, but I had to skip intro every time

yeah...I don't ever watch the intro to anything anymore after I've seen it a couple of times. Unless I know it's very short.

leemajors
04-29-2023, 09:24 PM
The Venture Brothers intro is awesome, mainly a similar reason to why Mad Men is. They're just great pieces of music.

Adam Lambert
05-01-2023, 12:21 AM
I mean you kind of have to separate the category into pre-2000 and post-2000. Like obviously the Laverne & Shirley intro (for example) is a banger, but it's almost a separate thing altogether than the Succession intro and it's hard to debate the merits between them.

InRareForm
05-03-2023, 10:09 AM
Game of thrones , Westworld, succession best intros

SpursforSix
05-03-2023, 02:46 PM
Bosch intro. Fits the show so well.

Blake
05-03-2023, 04:55 PM
Bosch intro. Fits the show so well.

Concur. Music plus visuals= top notch intro

The Gemini Method
05-15-2023, 03:48 PM
Episode 8 American Decides - definitely my personal favorite episode of season 4. The return of Roman to the initial scummy Far Right troll was both a surprise and a great return to the initial ethos of the pilot season great comedic tone of a political satirical dip by Jesse Armstrong. His commentary on the podcase notwithstanding, it was an interesting look to how media has an ability to influence the direction of an election and how eerily similar to an extent it was to real life in 2016 and whatnot.

InRareForm
05-16-2023, 11:10 AM
Armstrong such a good actor

SpursforSix
05-16-2023, 01:11 PM
Episode 8 American Decides - definitely my personal favorite episode of season 4. The return of Roman to the initial scummy Far Right troll was both a surprise and a great return to the initial ethos of the pilot season great comedic tone of a political satirical dip by Jesse Armstrong. His commentary on the podcase notwithstanding, it was an interesting look to how media has an ability to influence the direction of an election and how eerily similar to an extent it was to real life in 2016 and whatnot.

Armstrong such a good actor

There's not a weak spot in the cast. I guess if you had to pick one, it'd be Braun. But they've developed his character so well that he can deliver exactly what's written for him.
All of the major players are going to have good shots after this.

But yeah, I was worried after the strong start of the season, they'd just run the clock out but that last one was brilliant.

The Gemini Method
05-23-2023, 01:09 PM
Church and State - (Spoiler Alert)

Probably the penultimate episode of Succession. This was a brilliant portrayal of broken children dealing with the death of the patriarch that stained them from Roman's child-like collapse betraying the "pre-grieving" sentiment he had for the majority of the season to Shiv's traditional eulogy painting the fearsome initial instinct to the portrait of how the light shone when you were allowed in to his inner sanctum. Ewan's revelation of Rose and his acknowledgement in Brutus tone to Kendall's Marc Anthony response that followed were well done. You can feel the Logan coming through in Kendall. Whether or not he'll ascend to total Logan(ism) is probably going to be a focal point for episode 10. Kinda bummed there's only one episode left.

elege
05-23-2023, 01:40 PM
Woof woof

SpursforSix
05-23-2023, 02:26 PM
Church and State - (Spoiler Alert)

Probably the penultimate episode of Succession. This was a brilliant portrayal of broken children dealing with the death of the patriarch that stained them from Roman's child-like collapse betraying the "pre-grieving" sentiment he had for the majority of the season to Shiv's traditional eulogy painting the fearsome initial instinct to the portrait of how the light shone when you were allowed in to his inner sanctum. Ewan's revelation of Rose and his acknowledgement in Brutus tone to Kendall's Marc Anthony response that followed were well done. You can feel the Logan coming through in Kendall. Whether or not he'll ascend to total Logan(ism) is probably going to be a focal point for episode 10. Kinda bummed there's only one episode left.

Normally, I hate funeral and wedding episodes. To their credit, they pretty much got through the wedding episodes pretty quickly. But they made this one work. As it's been stated before, the acting and writing in this has been brilliant. Gonna hate to see this show be over.

Trill Clinton
05-23-2023, 04:01 PM
HBO needs to give us a spinoff.

Seeing Ken assemble his dad's old dream team at the end was dope. Out of all his siblings he's the most like Logan. They both have blood on their hands, both hate their children, but he needs that killer instinct and he's slowly getting it. Anyone but Shiv's unloyal ass. Can we address that she's been doing coke and drinking heavy while pregnant??

The Gemini Method
05-23-2023, 04:40 PM

Seeing Ken assemble his dad's old dream team at the end was dope. Out of all his siblings he's the most like Logan. They both have blood on their hands, both hate their children, but he needs that killer instinct and he's slowly getting it. Anyone but Shiv's unloyal ass. Can we address that she's been doing coke and drinking heavy while pregnant??

With how Ken belittles Roman like Logan consistently did, really hit home the turn into Logan arc for me. You're right about how the children part for the mare mirrored as you can draw the parallel to when they went to the Roy tomb and that Logan had secured spaces for his children as if even in death they wouldn't escape the clutch and influence of their domineering father.

I venture to guess when you're from Billionaire stock, you can partake in the finest coke and spirits while pregnant and not run into nay Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or any other potential negative affects of children born, but then again, in families of lore, there were defects aplenty. Armstrong has me believing that no one wins, that they'll all fall flat and even Mencken fails. But I would be happy to be wrong and see what the last 90 mins will hold.

InRareForm
05-23-2023, 07:24 PM
Whats all your favorite 3 episodes from the whole series ? I might need to do a rewatch.

Blake
05-23-2023, 09:52 PM
I want to watch the one again where they thought they were all on some business retreat and the old man made them fight each other

Monostradamus
05-23-2023, 11:43 PM

? She definitely faked like she was drinking with Mattson but didn’t actually drink, and had like 2 sips of wine to goad Tom. Also I don’t remember Shiv doing coke, that was Tom.

Kendall was definitely “not a killer” as Logan said in Season 2, but the last few episodes became this perfect storm to completely destroy any humanity Kendall had left, which ironically makes him perfect for the job now.

I think Kendall “wins” in the finale, but clearly the person who takes the throne is in no way actually a winner at life. Also I think Greg was in the car with Mattson at the end, and he’s the one Mattson will try to use as a puppet American CEO.

And “woof woof” has to be one of the funniest lines in TV history.

Monostradamus
05-23-2023, 11:43 PM
I want to watch the one again where they thought they were all on some business retreat and the old man made them fight each other
BOAR ON THE FLOOR!

Trill Clinton
05-24-2023, 08:04 AM
? She definitely faked like she was drinking with Mattson but didn’t actually drink, and had like 2 sips of wine to goad Tom. Also I don’t remember Shiv doing coke, that was Tom.

Kendall was definitely “not a killer” as Logan said in Season 2, but the last few episodes became this perfect storm to completely destroy any humanity Kendall had left, which ironically makes him perfect for the job now.

I think Kendall “wins” in the finale, but clearly the person who takes the throne is in no way actually a winner at life. Also I think Greg was in the car with Mattson at the end, and he’s the one Mattson will try to use as a puppet American CEO.

And “woof woof” has to be one of the funniest lines in TV history.

You're right. When Mattson asked if she wanted some of his coke she didn't actually take it.

I've seen a lot of people say Greg will get the CEO role. As much as I want Kendall to win, I'd be surprised if that was the case. Every time he's up he comes crashing right back down.

The Gemini Method
05-24-2023, 11:31 AM
Whats all your favorite 3 episodes from the whole series ? I might need to do a rewatch.

This one is subjective, but for me:

1. Church and State: As mentioned by another poster, funerals/weddings are often misused and Succession does both extremely well. This was just the crescendo of the titular namesake and delivered stalwart acting from the siblings and surrounding cast in the wake of the procession.

2. Prague - The underground party where all the debauchery and the buffoonery that led Roman to lead the bachelor party to somewhere not entirely Prague was a hilarious jaunt.

3. Connor's Wedding - I liked the contrast between joyous/sadness and how this was all shot in like one continuous take and to see how seedlings of a tyrant deal with the pending death of said tyrant and the awkwardness of being casted into a life of fake love and bought camaraderie ties this episode together. I may change when I re-watch the series as a whole, but I am rocking with these three as of now.

Monostradamus
05-24-2023, 02:34 PM
1. Vaulter - “Because my dad told me to” that whole scene where he disembowels Lawrence is incredible. The ending with Kendall stealing the batteries and immediately trashing them is perfect.

2. This Is Not For Tears - Tom eating Logan’s chicken is the funniest moment on the show

3. Kill List - Definitely the show’s best written episode

Monostradamus
05-25-2023, 07:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NSnlJhe25w

scottspurs
05-28-2023, 11:38 PM
Tom won lol glad the spoiled children lost though

Trill Clinton
05-28-2023, 11:39 PM
Shiv joins Skyler White as a top 3 most hated female tv character of all time.

scottspurs
05-28-2023, 11:43 PM
Hahaha yeah classic sister move to be honest

scottspurs
05-28-2023, 11:45 PM
Brothers fight it out and life moves on. Sisters always hold a grudge and will eat your heart when you are most vulnerable. So ending seemed very realistic. Was rooting for Kendall until he acted like a child when he lost haha

scottspurs
05-28-2023, 11:46 PM
Also lol Greg

Monostradamus
05-29-2023, 12:49 AM
Now that it’s happened, it makes perfect sense and couldn’t have ended any other way. As soon as his siblings crowned him, I knew the show would end with one last Sad Boy Kendall walk.

Monostradamus
05-29-2023, 12:49 AM
Now that it’s happened, it makes perfect sense and couldn’t have ended any other way. As soon as his siblings crowned him, I knew the show would end with one last Sad Boy Kendall walk.

InRareForm
05-29-2023, 09:05 AM
Solid finale. Nothing spectacular but they didn't do fk it up either

The Gemini Method
05-30-2023, 11:46 AM
With Open Eyes - 9/10

Not the most groundbreaking series finale. It however, was true to Succession form. 3 siblings with obvious fatal flaws this was the ending befitting for the show. Not as great an ending like The Sopranos or Mad Men, but still a great show overall. Tom is an empty suit and a proxy "pain sponge" for Mattsson. Not sure there were any winners, but Armstrong seems to paint a commentary on the ugliness of Ultra Capitalism. The overlying theme of how children of "innovating" titans of a certain industry often fall short of succeeding due to not having the chops. Will I revisit this series? Maybe, but at least I don't have to renew Max until The Last of Us returns.

Adam Lambert
05-30-2023, 12:48 PM
Man that was a great finale. I wish it wasn't the end of the series, I'd love to see a full season of Matsson running the company.

Blake
05-30-2023, 06:06 PM
I'd love to see a full season of Matsson running the company.

https://i.gifer.com/1Yzl.gif