PDA

View Full Version : The Next Kwahi: Pop's last project

wildbill2u
08-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Interesting vid by Kyle Allen. I don't know his work, but he put together a very nice piece on the "next Kwahi" as Pop's last project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W6osJ_XyqI

OldMan88
08-19-2019, 06:21 PM
Blah, blah, Kawhi, blah, blah, Kawhi, blah, blah, Kawhi, blah blah LW4.

widowmaker
08-19-2019, 06:45 PM
Slurp slurp slurp kawhi slob slob slurp slurp...

John B
08-19-2019, 08:03 PM
I think Spurs have very good young talents in White, Murray, Walker and Poeltl. Forbes remains a good role player, but he overachieves and could still surprise his critics. It remains to be seen what Luka, Keldon and QPon can bring. Luka is very intriguing with his handles at his size. Still Lyles could make the turn and show his comparison with Diaw. Spurs haven’t had these many young talents in the past ever. I wouldn’t be surprised if Spurs find their next big 3 or 4. I expect it would be Murray, White, Walker and Luka.

BackHome
08-19-2019, 09:23 PM
Pop next project better be giving Timmy the head coach/gym keys

Spurs Homer
08-19-2019, 11:17 PM
after 5 minutes of kawhi kawhi kawhi -

i shut it off

Spurtacular
08-19-2019, 11:40 PM
L Walker IV has serious potential; and if you watch the video, it's not a direct Kawhi comparison all the same.

TimmyBuckets
08-20-2019, 03:06 AM
ST loves to bring up old af videos

Uriel
08-20-2019, 04:41 AM
If he wanted to mold someone in Kawhi’s image, he would’ve drafted Nassir Little.

Othyus Lalanne
08-20-2019, 06:06 AM
Pop next project better be giving Timmy the head coach/gym keys

I love him, but why?

spurspl
08-20-2019, 06:20 AM
u know how pops last project should look like?
trade kawhi to LA (doesnt matter LAL or LAC) for young players and picks. Then trying to trade LMA for young player/picks. Then stay one last year to mentor this young kids and give him all the knowledge pop has. Not making PO but get top draft pick for this season. Then give this young fucking potential roster to Timmy. 2-3 yrs after that spurs are a serious contender.

Reality:
kawhi for shitty ddr. LMA stay. Another 7-8seed. 1st round PO exit. DDR and LMA is gone for nothing. Timmy has a worse start than he could have. But guess what, Pop has another PO.

Collins21
08-20-2019, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=spurspl;9911374]u know how pops last project should look like?
trade kawhi to LA (doesnt matter LAL or LAC) for young players and picks. Then trying to trade LMA for young player/picks. Then stay one last year to mentor this young kids and give him all the knowledge pop has. Not making PO but get top draft pick for this season. Then give this young fucking potential roster to Timmy. 2-3 yrs after that spurs are a serious contender.

Reality:
kawhi for shitty ddr. LMA stay. Another 7-8seed. 1st round PO exit. DDR and LMA is gone for nothing. Timmy has a worse start than he could have. But guess what, Pop has another PO

Man you keeping saying this dumb shit. That clippers made would have been worse than the Raptors trade you can have all the picks in the world but there's no guarantee they're going to turn into anything. Look how may bust the 76ers and thesis have hell the Suns got Devin Booker and have still been the worse team in the league.

spurspl
08-20-2019, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=spurspl;9911374]u know how pops last project should look like?

Reality:
kawhi for shitty ddr. LMA stay. Another 7-8seed. 1st round PO exit. DDR and LMA is gone for nothing. Timmy has a worse start than he could have. But guess what, Pop has another PO

Man you keeping saying this dumb shit. That clippers made would have been worse than the Raptors trade you can have all the picks in the world but there's no guarantee they're going to turn into anything. Look how may bust the 76ers and thesis have hell the Suns got Devin Booker and have still been the worse team in the league.

Would be spurs better with booker/embiid/simmons? I think that we would be
much much better. Philly now is a contender, suns are in the process. Spurs still on the same level, hoping that murray or lonnie would become a superstar bc we have nothing else.

Collins21
08-20-2019, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=Collins21;9911383]

much much better. Philly now is a contender, suns are in the process. Spurs still on the same level, hoping that murray or lonnie would become a superstar bc we have nothing else.

If they just traded all their veterans and just had either Booker Simmons or Embiid they would not be better. Furthermore they would not have gotten any of the players with the draft picks offered in the Clippers deal. Oh and what makes you say the Suns are improving??

Em-City
08-20-2019, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=Collins21;9911383]

you're officially now the new worst ST poster

spurspl
08-20-2019, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=spurspl;9911384]

If they just traded all their veterans and just had either Booker Simmons or Embiid they would not be better. Furthermore they would not have gotten any of the players with the draft picks offered in the Clippers deal. Oh and what makes you say the Suns are improving??

all players in spurs roster combined have less value than embiid + simmons. U aint start building a team from veterans but superstars or young future stars and then u add some veterans. This is basics.
Give suns a time. They are young. I guess u also were laughing at sixers 3yrs ago and look where they are now. Everything is about the process and i really dont see this process in spurs now.

BTW theoretically what do u prefer?
1) u miss 4 PO in a row and have two young great players for years and add some veterans
or
2) be an average team with some decent young players and couple veterans but be in a PO hundred times in a row but not higher than 2nd round?

[QUOTE=spurspl;9911384]

you're officially now the new worst ST poster
thanks :) there is nothing better than substantive opinion, good job my friend

exstatic
08-20-2019, 10:26 AM
1) u miss 4 PO in a row and have two young great players for years and add some veterans
or
2) be an average team with some decent young players and couple veterans but be in a PO hundred times in a row but not higher than 2nd round?

It was five years in a row that Philly missed the playoffs, and with all of their hits AND misses at the top of the lottery, they have advanced exactly one round further in the playoffs than we have the last two years. That's not worth five years of misery and embarrassment, so I guess my answer is 2)

spurspl
08-20-2019, 10:41 AM
It was five years in a row that Philly missed the playoffs, and with all of their hits AND misses at the top of the lottery, they have advanced exactly one round further in the playoffs than we have the last two years. That's not worth five years of misery and embarrassment, so I guess my answer is 2)

yes but now they have great players for years and imo they will be in ecf this year. What spurs have? old lma, shitty ddr, murray from acl, lonnie and white. Nobody whose even close to embiid or simmons.

MultiTroll
08-20-2019, 10:48 AM
Philly and Bostons phuck ups imo were not going after Kawhi. Unless Popped was determined to get DDR. :rolleyes
Ainge should have definitely ditched that malcontent Kyrie Irving. Philly surely could have put together something better then DDR and the project Center.

Frenchfred
08-20-2019, 12:52 PM
u know how pops last project should look like?

Reality:
kawhi for shitty ddr. LMA stay. Another 7-8seed. 1st round PO exit. DDR and LMA is gone for nothing. Timmy has a worse start than he could have. But guess what, Pop has another PO.

Like 12th and 13th picks are automatic all-stars. The Clippers deal was not that great. The Lakers didn't want to trade anybody but Ingram. At some points, people have to be realistic. The vast majority of picks don't translate into an Embiid or Simons especially at 12 and 13th.

spurspl
08-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Like 12th and 13th picks are automatic all-stars. The Clippers deal was not that great. The Lakers didn't want to trade anybody but Ingram. At some points, people have to be realistic. [b]The vast majority of picks don't translate into an Embiid or Simons especially at 12 and 13th[\b].

ingram,ball,hart and a pick>>>>>ddr poetl pick. but PATFO wanted more picks.

i know and thats why u need to try to get higher picks. Plus remember that spurs have great scouting and coaching so they can draft best top available player and improve him much better than any other team.

John B
08-20-2019, 01:59 PM
yes but now they have great players for years and imo they will be in ecf this year. What spurs have? old lma, shitty ddr, murray from acl, lonnie and white. Nobody whose even close to embiid or simmons.
Simmons has no outside shots like DDR. And where was Embiid in the playoffs? They lost Butler. I doubt they reach ECF. I’d take Bucks and cancer-less Celtics in the ECF.

spurspl
08-20-2019, 02:37 PM
Simmons has no outside shots like DDR. And where was Embiid in the playoffs? They lost Butler. I doubt they reach ECF. I’d take Bucks and cancer-less Celtics in the ECF.

U know whats the difference between ddr and simmons in this aspect? simmons is much younger so he can easier repair his shots. DDR would probably never have outside shots. But they got horford.
Celtics will have problems in def, kanter isnt an improvement.

phxspurfan
08-20-2019, 03:00 PM
L Walker IV has serious potential

I've always said he could be a poor man's D-Wade. Same athleticism, less natural basketball ability. But with some coaching and experience, he can be athletic and decently skilled. As we have seen with the improvement on his jumper after his rookie year.

Spurtacular
08-20-2019, 03:09 PM
I've always said he could be a poor man's D-Wade. Same athleticism, less natural basketball ability. But with some coaching and experience, he can be athletic and decently skilled. As we have seen with the improvement on his jumper after his rookie year.

His athleticism at 6'9ish is off the chart. I wouldn't sell him too low just yet. Though, I acknowledge he could be a bust b/c he is raw.

YGWHI
08-20-2019, 08:34 PM
LW4 impressed me in last SL. He improved every area of his game. I guess he just needs to play decent minutes this season.

Big Empty
08-21-2019, 01:05 AM
Ha, sounds like a narration by David Blain but speaks very well. I like it.

John B
08-21-2019, 01:42 AM
I have very high hopes on our young core. To have so many young talent, and never missing the playoff was remarkable. White is so finesse. He reminds me of Kidd as a general, so much control. Murray is a freak at his size. He has very high ceiling, and so motivated to be great. Walker is very athletic. Watch out Demar. Poeltl is above average center imo because of his timing on protecting the rim. I see him as continually improving. Luka is the one that intrigues me, with his handles at his size, high bball IQ. He reminds me of Kukoc, but hopefully more athletic. Luka would be another defensive phenom, maybe a Batum. I think he’s our future 3 and D, who could lock-in on anybody. QPon is a very good backup guard, and with his poise, could challenge White in the starting position. Hopefully he’d be happy playing the sixth man. Forbes overachieves. I think we have several who could be Star, White, Murray, Walker and Luka.

John B
08-21-2019, 01:42 AM
I have very high hopes on our young core. To have so many young talent, and never missing the playoff was remarkable. White is so finesse. He reminds me of Kidd as a general, so much control. Murray is a freak at his size. He has very high ceiling, and so motivated to be great. Walker is very athletic. Watch out Demar. Poeltl is above average center imo because of his timing on protecting the rim. I see him as continually improving. Luka is the one that intrigues me, with his handles at his size, high bball IQ. He reminds me of Kukoc, but hopefully more athletic. Luka would be another defensive phenom, maybe a Batum. I think he’s our future 3 and D, who could lock-in on anybody. QPon is a very good backup guard, and with his poise, could challenge White in the starting position. Hopefully he’d be happy playing the sixth man. Forbes overachieves. I think we have several who could be Star, White, Murray, Walker and Luka.

monty4329
08-21-2019, 04:26 AM
[QUOTE=Collins21;9911399]

or

Philly had to reverse course and trade for veterans in order to win a series. And they will probably have to trade Simmons, unless he learns shooting, to advance deeper.

So yes, better be constantly in the PO and hope the league decides to stop being a videogame and goes back to organized basketball.

8FOR!3
08-21-2019, 10:05 AM
I think Spurs have very good young talents in White, Murray, Walker and Poeltl. Forbes remains a good role player, but he overachieves and could still surprise his critics. It remains to be seen what Luka, Keldon and QPon can bring. Luka is very intriguing with his handles at his size. Still Lyles could make the turn and show his comparison with Diaw. Spurs haven’t had these many young talents in the past ever. I wouldn’t be surprised if Spurs find their next big 3 or 4. I expect it would be Murray, White, Walker and Luka.

Easily the most young prospects we’ve had in my lifetime. Not everyone is gonna be an all star obviously, but with our staff I wouldn’t be surprised if 2 or 3 of White/Murray/Walker/Luka are. Poeltl/Forbes/Keldon/QW have role player ceilings imo. Maybe Keldon’s is higher but I don’t see him more than being a really good 3 and D guy. QW I see his ceiling as Eric Gordon in Houston.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Pop's got nothing left to prove. And to be honest, I don't want Pop to groom the next Kawhi. I'd rather have the next Manu or Tony Parker.

John B
08-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Pop's got nothing left to prove. And to be honest, I don't want Pop to groom the next Kawhi. I'd rather have the next Manu or Tony Parker.
Timmy and Manu are once in a lifetime. I’m not hating on Parker. I love the guy and his contributions, sacrifices, but I think we can find a Parker easier than the other two. We know Timmy. But Manu? Nobody would sacrifice like he did.

wildbill2u
08-21-2019, 01:20 PM
I know we haven't had such a group of young players with potential upside unless you want to look back to the building of the Big 3 and then back to earliest years of the team when Gervin and Silas were young unknowns.

So far we have seen glimpses of potential All=Star and lots of excellent prospects who have NBA rosters assured.Putting all of them on the floor for minutes with LMA and DDR is going to be a challenge for Pop, but he is a master at handling minutes. I think this team will be a playoff team by Spring.

exstatic
08-21-2019, 02:05 PM
I know we haven't had such a group of young players with potential upside unless you want to look back to the building of the Big 3 and then back to earliest years of the team when Gervin and Silas were young unknowns.

So far we have seen glimpses of potential All=Star and lots of excellent prospects who have NBA rosters assured.Putting all of them on the floor for minutes with LMA and DDR is going to be a challenge for Pop, but he is a master at handling minutes. I think this team will be a playoff team by Spring.

LMA and DD are a bridge until the youngsters blossom. I don't see them being here when that happens, at least not both of them. I think LMA would be welcome to stay a few more years, but it sounds like he's off to PDX when he's a FA.

John B
08-21-2019, 02:14 PM
LMA and DD are a bridge until the youngsters blossom. I don't see them being here when that happens, at least not both of them. I think LMA would be welcome to stay a few more years, but it sounds like he's off to PDX when he's a FA.
I like what PATFO has done. If designed or just plain luck coming from that Turd debacle. They have assembled a young core that could really be good, a lot of potential, even an All-Star or two even 4 if we’re lucky. White, Murray, Walker, Luka, plus could be solid role players. And we didn’t miss the FO. Other teams have gone dry trying to rebuild. Dang Spurs PATFO continues to amaze me.

spurspl
08-21-2019, 02:25 PM
I like what PATFO has done. If designed or just plain luck coming from that Turd debacle. They have assembled a young core that could really be good, a lot of potential, even an All-Star or two even 4 if we’re lucky. White, Murray, Walker, Luka, plus could be solid role players. And we didn’t miss the FO. Other teams have gone dry trying to rebuild. Dang Spurs PATFO continues to amaze me.

XD we’re lucky if one of them will become an all-star. U really overvalue them. Yes, they have above average
potential but there are lots of better young players in the league.

R. DeMurre
08-21-2019, 02:29 PM
I think it's hilarious how often Philly is used as an example of success... I can only image the level of virulence and bitterness that would erupt at Spurstalk if the Spurs missed the playoffs five years in a row!

John B
08-21-2019, 02:49 PM
XD we’re lucky if one of them will become an all-star. U really overvalue them. Yes, they have above average
potential but there are lots of better young players in the league.
Those young players in the playoffs?? I’m just saying. After what Spurs went through with nephew who tried to sabotage Spurs future, and still got so many young talents, with a solid transition plan, and not missing a beat? I’d give Dubs 2-3 years and it would be back to mediocrity. Lakers still couldn’t make the playoff, and one injury away from epic catastrophe

spurspl
08-21-2019, 02:49 PM
I think it's hilarious how often Philly is used as an example of success... I can only image the level of virulence and bitterness that would erupt at Spurstalk if the Spurs missed the playoffs five years in a row!

2-3 yrs off the PO would be enough to draft and develop an all star by spurs.
1yr off if we get lucky and get top3 pick.

spurspl
08-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Those young players in the playoffs?? I’m just saying. After what Spurs went through with nephew who tried to sabotage Spurs future, and still got so many young talents, with a solid transition plan, and not missing a beat? I’d give Dubs 2-3 years and it would be back to mediocrity. Lakers still couldn’t make the playoff, and one injury away from epic catastrophe

but they wont be afraid to sacrifice 2yrs, draft some good players from the top of the draft and be back again stronger.

John B
08-21-2019, 03:08 PM
but they wont be afraid to sacrifice 2yrs, draft some good players from the top of the draft and be back again stronger.
I’d rather have 21 years straight playoffs with 5 rings, and still has good young cores who didn’t have to be drafted high.

spurspl
08-21-2019, 03:32 PM
I’d rather have 21 years straight playoffs with 5 rings, and still has good young cores who didn’t have to be drafted high.

Those 5rings are only bc spurs drafted high and made a great trade

weeks
08-21-2019, 03:54 PM
we've finally become 'young core' posters
the cycle is now complete

J_Paco
08-21-2019, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=spurspl;9911428]

Philly had to reverse course and trade for veterans in order to win a series. And they will probably have to trade Simmons, unless he learns shooting, to advance deeper.

So yes, better be constantly in the PO and hope the league decides to stop being a videogame and goes back to organized basketball.

Pretty much this. Nothing is guaranteed in the NBA, not even for the various "flavor of the month/future dominant" teams like Philadelphia and Boston. Both more or less changed course on their "process" because of either not "taking the next step" quick enough or veterans bailing on them.

The Spurs are attempting the impossible, building for the future (w/o lottery picks) and maintaining a competitive on the court product. If one or two of the young players can break out (which isn't a sure thing) then the team would be right back in the mix.

J_Paco
08-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Timmy and Manu are once in a lifetime. I’m not hating on Parker. I love the guy and his contributions, sacrifices, but I think we can find a Parker easier than the other two. We know Timmy. But Manu? Nobody would sacrifice like he did.

Sure, because guards with all - world speed, almost unshakable determination, relentlessness and an elite ability to finish in the paint just fall from the sky every draft....

Don't sell any of the big three short, man. They are all going to the HOF for their own reasons.

John B
08-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Sure, because guards with all - world speed, almost unshakable determination, relentlessness and an elite ability to finish in the paint just fall from the sky every draft....

Don't sell any of the big three short, man. They are all going to the HOF for their own reasons.
Again no disrespect. That could’ve been a Jason Kidd and would be the same boat. But what imo what put the selfless Spurs culture were Timmy and Manu. Again no disrespect to Tony. He was spectacular and made sacrifices. But come on, Manu coming from the bench? Would Tony’s ego allow that?

Seventyniner
08-21-2019, 04:33 PM

Not just missing the playoffs, they were a laughingstock. Plenty of fans think there's a huge difference between 44-38 and missing the playoffs by a few games, and 17-65 where a lot of games are over by the 2nd or 3rd quarter.

Their fans cheered their asses off for Boban when the Sixers were down 40.

exstatic
08-21-2019, 04:48 PM
2-3 yrs off the PO would be enough to draft and develop an all star by spurs.
1yr off if we get lucky and get top3 pick.

Philly took 5 years off. The draft is a crap shoot, even at the top. Philly drafted TWO All Stars...and still hasn't made an ECF. They are now eight years into their rebuild.

Fultz #1
Okafor #3
MCW #11
Saric - draft and trade from ORL #12
Noel - draft and trade from NO #6

That's a whole team of lottery 'suck' there. The Saric and Noel trades were done with assets acquired from trading Jrue Holiday, an All Star in Philly, to NO. They both sucked, left or were traded, and Philly now has NOTHING to show for Holiday, who is still just 28, a quality PG, and has made two All-D teams in NO.

spurspl
08-21-2019, 06:11 PM
Philly took 5 years off. The draft is a crap shoot, even at the top. Philly drafted TWO All Stars...and still hasn't made an ECF. They are now eight years into their rebuild.

Fultz #1
Okafor #3
MCW #11

That's a whole team of lottery 'suck' there. The Saric and Noel trades were done with assets acquired from trading Jrue Holiday, an All Star in Philly, to NO. They both sucked, left or were traded, and Philly now has NOTHING to show for Holiday, who is still just 28, a quality PG, and has made two All-D teams in NO.

no, its not a crap until u know who is the right choice. Spurs are better in drafting than philly and all of these guys would become a much better player under spurss coaches and culture (except fultz bc his issue is hard to fix).
BTW how do u see spurs getting an all star player for years? by FAs? no way unless we become an almost contender, via trade? have no asset, by drafting players with late picks and develop them? yeah maybe but the later pick, the lower chances of getting better prospect.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-22-2019, 10:09 AM

Fultz #1
Okafor #3
MCW #11

Exactly. Philly gets praised for "The Process" but so far it's yielded absolutely nothing in terms of post season success. The Spurs could have rolled over and died when they lost Kawhi, but they didn't. Most franchises would have been forced to hit the reset button, but the Spurs kept on winning. Add to that, they lost all of the Big 3 in that same general timeframe, and the fact that the team is still relevant and isn't battling Phoenix for the 15th seed in the West is pretty remarkable. Not only are they continuing to succeed, but they're on the cusp of being great again...amazing if you ask me.

But, people is here will continue to bash Pop and the FO.

J_Paco
08-22-2019, 10:49 AM
Exactly. Philly gets praised for "The Process" but so far it's yielded absolutely nothing in terms of post season success. The Spurs could have rolled over and died when they lost Kawhi, but they didn't. Most franchises would have been forced to hit the reset button, but the Spurs kept on winning. Add to that, they lost all of the Big 3 in that same general timeframe, and the fact that the team is still relevant and isn't battling Phoenix for the 15th seed in the West is pretty remarkable. Not only are they continuing to succeed, but they're on the cusp of being great again...amazing if you ask me.

Pop and R.C. have made mistakes, but the armchair GM's and coaches on this forum (mostly trolls and Kawhi knob slobbers) act they never did anything right. Shit, even their "misses" mostly end up with solid NBA careers (minus Livio Jean - Charles & Nikola Milutinov).

exstatic
08-22-2019, 11:00 AM
Pop and R.C. have made mistakes, but the armchair GM's and coaches on this forum (mostly trolls and Kawhi knob slobbers) act they never did anything right. Shit, even their "misses" mostly end up with solid NBA careers (minus Livio Jean - Charles & Nikola Milutinov).

LJC was an injury bust, but Nikola was just a victim of the changing game. I think he could have been a nice NBA center if the league hadn't gone all switchy/3pointy.

wildbill2u
08-23-2019, 12:13 PM
Best possible case: LMA and DDr return to All-Star status and Murray to All NBA/ Gay has year equal to or better than last year. White, Poertle Forbes improve over last year/

Walker plays so well he is considered for NBA awards. Lyle and Carroll surprise with contributions. Final bench (whoever they are) plays well. Pop brings back the beautiful game.

Am I asking too much"? Can our stars align in the heavens? I can hardly wait for the season to begin

Seventyniner
08-23-2019, 12:22 PM

This.

I bet some people are upset that big media outlets are hyping Philly like the next big thing, but as you correctly point out, they haven't won anything yet. I would think Spurs fans, of all people, would rather have the steak than the sizzle.

Mitch Cumsteen
08-23-2019, 02:05 PM

They once had David Robinson and Sean Elliott as rookies and Rod Strickland, Vernon Maxwell and Willie Anderson as second year players. THAT is young talent. They took the eventual WC champions to 7 games and honestly should have won that series. I like the young guys they have now, but let's get a reality check.

wildbill2u
08-23-2019, 10:27 PM
Might have been great if we could have kept tben together. I taake your point however. Good memoy

cutewizard
08-29-2019, 07:03 AM
Luka ROY

KobesAchilles
08-29-2019, 08:01 AM
They once had David Robinson and Sean Elliott as rookies and Rod Strickland, Vernon Maxwell and Willie Anderson as second year players. THAT is young talent. They took the eventual WC champions to 7 games and honestly should have won that series. I like the young guys they have now, but let's get a reality check.

Man that is like the perfect example of how bad management ruins a team. 6 coaches in 5 years. McCombs to cheap to pay Rod or Barkley. Willie turning into a cokehead didn’t help either :lol

But the sky was the limit for that team. I often wish we would’ve gotten Chuck Daly as our coach. I feel like we would’ve won a chip with him and he wouldn’t have had to have his coaching career killed by the Nets.

John B
08-29-2019, 03:39 PM
Not to mention Wingate, Paspaj and Grampa Jones :lol:lol:lol