PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets Jamal Murray’s contract through 2025 is insane

DC23
08-27-2019, 04:14 PM
I just caught a look at the numbers for Jamal Murray’s contract, and they’re crazy.

• 2020-2021 season: $29,250,000
• 2021-2022 season: $31,590,000
• 2022-2023 season: $33,930,000
• 2023-2024 season: $36,270,000
• 2024-2025 season: $38,610,000

After that, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

I know he’s doing well, but seriously. This is a crazy amount of money given he’s just three seasons into his NBA career. And this means he’s going to be competing in terms of income with players like Jokic, Davis, George, Leonard, Irving, Antetokounmpo and others. Do you guys think it makes sense to pay him this kind of money?

Chris Fall
08-27-2019, 04:55 PM
Comparatively, looks fine. He’ll still only be 28 the last year of the contract. Lillard will be making $50M when he’s 33. Russ making $47M at 34. John Wall $47M at 32. Whether or not Murray is as good as those players the duration of his deal, it looks like a fair salary based on what the Nuggets believe Andy project he will be, all the while still being in his mid to late 20s.

Chris
08-27-2019, 05:32 PM
Patty '50mills' doesn't think it's a crazy amount of money.

KobesAchilles
08-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Basically a worse version of Mighty Mouse. Today’s NBA :lol

FkLA
08-27-2019, 07:08 PM
Empty calorie offensive chucker. Atrocious defense. Midget. Arrogant.

Why do some people like this scrub? I don't get it. Derrick White >>>.

Yogatti
08-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Derrick White >>>.

Would you give MVWhite this type of contract?

FkLA
08-27-2019, 07:46 PM
Would you give MVWhite this type of contract?

No. I'd Supermax him.

Yogatti
08-27-2019, 08:00 PM
No. I'd Supermax him.

:tu

Unfortunately R.C Drunkford has his eyes on Demar Derozen for that Supermax:pctoss

phxspurfan
08-27-2019, 08:55 PM
I just caught a look at the numbers for Jamal Murray’s contract, and they’re crazy.

• 2020-2021 season: $29,250,000
• 2021-2022 season: $31,590,000
• 2022-2023 season: $33,930,000
• 2023-2024 season: $36,270,000
• 2024-2025 season: $38,610,000

After that, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

I know he’s doing well, but seriously. This is a crazy amount of money given he’s just three seasons into his NBA career. And this means he’s going to be competing in terms of income with players like Jokic, Davis, George, Leonard, Irving, Antetokounmpo and others. Do you guys think it makes sense to pay him this kind of money?

This is the time for him to get his money, and the time when he maybe well worth it. In his mid-20s, with a great big man, just add some shooters/role players and you've got a perennial contender. Playoff and season ticket revenue should take care of the Nuggz if they don't get massively unlucky with injuries or a trade demand.

08-27-2019, 11:41 PM
it makes more sense than players getting that money at 30. it actually makes the most sense.

Brazil
08-28-2019, 07:38 AM
No. I'd Supermax him.

:lol

Millennial_Messiah
08-28-2019, 11:10 PM
lol when the recession and reality hits and the salary cap goes down and they still have to pay him that money :lol

Spurtacular
08-29-2019, 11:42 PM
He can thank the Spurs shitty pic n' roll defense for that, tbh.

Thread
09-01-2019, 12:33 AM
What's even scarier is I remember 1969 like it was yesterday.

koriwhat
09-02-2019, 03:44 PM
What's even scarier is I remember 1969 like it was yesterday.

what was it like being slap dab in the middle of the "cult" era and now in a new "cult" era? i'm really asking because i find the infiltration of the hippy movement by commies quite fascinating.

J_Paco
09-02-2019, 11:03 PM
Basically a worse version of Mighty Mouse. Today’s NBA :lol

What?

Murray is a legit 6'4" - 6'5" while Damon was 5'10."

Murray still can improve and the Nuggets will be good for the duration of his contract.

J_Paco
09-02-2019, 11:06 PM
No. I'd Supermax him.

Thank God you ain't the GM, homie.

White is no where near worth the Supermax and only a moron would offer him anything close (he's never even been an all-star let alone made an All-NBA team).

Murray at this current juncture is better than White and lit him up (and anyone else who guarded him) in the playoffs (on the Spurs).

FkLA
09-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Thank God you ain't the GM, homie.

White is no where near worth the Supermax and only a moron would offer him anything close (he's never even been an all-star let alone made a All-NBA team).

Murray at this correct juncture is better than White and lit him up (and anyone else who guarded him) in the playoffs (on the Spurs).

So much idiocy in this sentence.

J_Paco
09-02-2019, 11:16 PM
So much idiocy in this sentence.

Murray is a borderline all-star, starter and helped lead his team to the 2nd best record in the conference.

White is the 3rd or 4th (depends on Murray's standing) best player on the Spurs, hasn't cracked 10 PPG, will likely be a 6th man (fits better w/ either Mills, Belinelli or Walker IV) and hasn't led the Spurs to anything (he was a catalyst for them making the playoffs).

He is a better defender and has better court vision/playmaking skills, but Murray is like Tony Parker in that he plays off of an elite (might be the best ever) passing big. He isn't asked to set people up but to be a lights out scorer and perimeter threat.

White is also gonna likely split time between PG/SG while Murray will be given the PG "duties"/position from day one.

FkLA
09-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Murray is a borderline all-star, starter and helped lead his team to the 2nd best record in the conference.

White is the 3rd or 4th (depends on Murray's standing) best player on the Spurs, hasn't cracked 10 PPG, will likely be a 6th man (fits better w/ either Mills, Belinelli or Walker IV) and hasn't led the Spurs to anything (he was a catalyst for them making the playoffs).

He is a better defender and has better court vision/playmaking skills, but Murray is like Tony Parker in that he plays off of an elite (might be the best ever) passing big. He isn't asked to set people up but to be a lights out scorer and perimeter threat.

White is also gonna likely split time between PG/SG while Murray will be given the PG "duties"/position from day one.

:lmao borderline allstar

The guy is a traffic cone on defense. His lateral movement is atrocious, maybe the worst in the league for a guy his size. White is an all-defense level defender. This is like choosing Kevin Martin over a young Nephew (before he became an offensive monster) because Kevin Martin scored more points. It's idiotic.

White would eat him alive 1 on 1. Murray couldn't stay in front of him and it wasn't until they switched Harris on him, coupled with DEN simply focusing on him more that White stopped having his way. Murray OTOH struggled all series to get his shot off on White without the help of screens or without playing off of Jokic. He routinely got blocked or had to pass while up in the air after realizing he wasn't going to get his shot off. White stole his cookie to seal Game 1.

I would take White over Murray 10 times out of 10. It's not even fucking close, bruh. Only blind idiots that focus on PPG don't see it.

KobesAchilles
09-03-2019, 07:46 AM
What?

Murray is a legit 6'4" - 6'5" while Damon was 5'10."

Murray still can improve and the Nuggets will be good for the duration of his contract.

His height doesn’t matter homie. He can’t get his shot off that consistently against good defenders and plays zero defense. His game is like a worse version of Mighty Mouse, chucking up long 2s and having an aight 3 point percentage.

DMC
09-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Can't remember who he plays for and wouldn't be able to identify him in a lineup :lol

J_Paco
09-03-2019, 09:52 AM
:lmao borderline allstar

The guy is a traffic cone on defense. His lateral movement is atrocious, maybe the worst in the league for a guy his size. White is an all-defense level defender. This is like choosing Kevin Martin over a young Nephew (before he became an offensive monster) because Kevin Martin scored more points. It's idiotic.

White would eat him alive 1 on 1. Murray couldn't stay in front of him and it wasn't until they switched Harris on him, coupled with DEN simply focusing on him more that White stopped having his way. Murray OTOH struggled all series to get his shot off on White without the help of screens or without playing off of Jokic. He routinely got blocked or had to pass while up in the air after realizing he wasn't going to get his shot off. White stole his cookie to seal Game 1.

I would take White over Murray 10 times out of 10. It's not even fucking close, bruh. Only blind idiots that focus on PPG don't see it.

White is inconsistent breaking.down defenders and is primarily a pick - and - roll ballhandler, too. He also is passive on offense, is erratic from three - point range, maybe prone to minor injuries (plantar fasciitis is a concern especially when he's had it on both feet, I believe) and can't be the focal point on a NBA offense.

See, we can all play this stupid game.

Jamal Murray at this is point is better player than White and only a blind, idiot homer would argue otherwise.

Again, plenty of PG's have been "hidden" on defense since it is considered (by some) to be the least impactful defensive position. That doesn't change the fact that Murray has improved every year in the NBA, has been a starter/contributor way longer than White and is clearly better than White to this point.

J_Paco
09-03-2019, 10:04 AM
His height doesn’t matter homie. He can’t get his shot off that consistently against good defenders and plays zero defense. His game is like a worse version of Mighty Mouse, chucking up long 2s and having an aight 3 point percentage.

You forget the part that Murray/Harris score a ton off - ball and play off of the best passing big man ever. Yeah, let Murray go one - on - one breaking his man down (well or not) or play pick - and - roll, dribble hand - off and be a top 5 offense with Jokic as the focal point.

And his huge height advantage over "Mighty Mouse" means he can finish with authority, more efficiency in the paint and can get his shot off against most any PG.

Like these highlights, where he dunks on Gay and shoots a dagger in the face of "blocked his shot everytime" White.

https://youtu.be/VLnqTNYsOO0

I love White and think he can be a great or elite two - way combo guard, but Murray has proven more in the NBA, done it for longer and is a more consistent contributor to his team's offense and wins.

KobesAchilles
09-03-2019, 10:35 AM
You forget the part that Murray/Harris score a ton off - ball and play off of the best passing big man ever. Yeah, let Murray go one - on - one breaking his man down (well or not) or play pick - and - roll, dribble hand - off and be a top 5 offense with Jokic as the focal point.

And his huge height advantage over "Mighty Mouse" means he can finish with authority, more efficiency in the paint and can get his shot off against most any PG.

Like these highlights, where he dunks on Gay and shoots a dagger in the face of "blocked his shot everytime" White.

https://youtu.be/VLnqTNYsOO0

I love White and think he can be a great or elite two - way combo guard, but Murray has proven more in the NBA, done it for longer and is a more consistent contributor to his team's offense and wins.

Literally everything you said had nothing to do with my post. A shorter Mighty Mouse was a better player. Fact. Him being 6’4 doesn’t make him better than Mighty Mouse. They play a similar style of b-ball. Damon played off ball too. Or did you not know he played with Sabonis, who was also the best passing big man in the league.

You make this guy sound like an all star. He isn’t. He never will be. Dude also shot 2-6 against us. 8-23 and 7-18. So he didn’t dominate every game like you say he did. He shot 43% from the field in the regular season but yes you’re right, he can get his shot off against everybody :rolleyes

FkLA
09-03-2019, 03:29 PM
White is inconsistent breaking.down defenders and is primarily a pick - and - roll ballhandler, too. He also is passive on offense, is erratic from three - point range, maybe prone to minor injuries (plantar fasciitis is a concern especially when he's had it on both feet, I believe) and can't be the focal point on a NBA offense.

See, we can all play this stupid game.

Jamal Murray at this is point is better player than White and only a blind, idiot homer would argue otherwise.

Again, plenty of PG's have been "hidden" on defense since it is considered (by some) to be the least impactful defensive position. That doesn't change the fact that Murray has improved every year in the NBA, has been a starter/contributor way longer than White and is clearly better than White to this point.

But I'm not making the stupid ass claims that White is some unstoppable force on offense like you are about Murray, am I?

Murray is better at being a scorer than White (for now). That's it. Just like Kevin Martin was a better scorer than young Nephew. Just like Bargnani was a better scorer than Draymond. That's a completely different argument than who is a better basketball player though. It's White and it's not even close. Again, only a casual idiot that puts all the emphasis on scoring (no matter how inefficient or empty those points may be) would argue otherwise.

and shoots a dagger in the face of "blocked his shot everytime" White.

Nobody said every time idiot. But the fact remains that White blocked him or forced him to bail on shots midair (bc he was going to get stuffed) several times throughout the series. Not to mention the steals/forced TOs, some of them in crucial moments. A far cry from getting "lit up" throughout the 7 game series.

Murray will still get his point totals at times, because the fact of the matter is that great offense can beat great defense and he's a volume shooter. His 4th Qtr explosion in Game 2 is a great example. He was shooting like 20% through the first 7 quarters of the series but kept chucking and eventually caught fire. Some of those shots were just tough ass, well defended shots that happened to go in. None of that changes the fact, that in general, he struggles to get his shot off against White though.

J_Paco
09-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Literally everything you said had nothing to do with my post. A shorter Mighty Mouse was a better player. Fact. Him being 6’4 doesn’t make him better than Mighty Mouse. They play a similar style of b-ball. Damon played off ball too. Or did you not know he played with Sabonis, who was also the best passing big man in the league.

You make this guy sound like an all star. He isn’t. He never will be. Dude also shot 2-6 against us. 8-23 and 7-18. So he didn’t dominate every game like you say he did. He shot 43% from the field in the regular season but yes you’re right, he can get his shot off against everybody :rolleyes

Never said the kid was a star, but he's better than White at this point. Also, Stoudamire started out in Toronto as the #1 option on a bad squad.

Anyway, my main point was that they don't play similarly at all not that Murray is or isn't better. He's bigger, stronger, has more range and can score in the post or off - ball. Damon was an iso - heavy scorer that used his advanced handles and speed to score.

J_Paco
09-04-2019, 02:00 PM
But I'm not making the stupid ass claims that White is some unstoppable force on offense like you are about Murray, am I?

Murray is better at being a scorer than White (for now). That's it. Just like Kevin Martin was a better scorer than young Nephew. Just like Bargnani was a better scorer than Draymond. That's a completely different argument than who is a better basketball player though. It's White and it's not even close. Again, only a casual idiot that puts all the emphasis on scoring (no matter how inefficient or empty those points may be) would argue otherwise.

Nobody said every time idiot. But the fact remains that White blocked him or forced him to bail on shots midair (bc he was going to get stuffed) several times throughout the series. Not to mention the steals/forced TOs, some of them in crucial moments. A far cry from getting "lit up" throughout the 7 game series.

Murray will still get his point totals at times, because the fact of the matter is that great offense can beat great defense and he's a volume shooter. His 4th Qtr explosion in Game 2 is a great example. He was shooting like 20% through the first 7 quarters of the series but kept chucking and eventually caught fire. Some of those shots were just tough ass, well defended shots that happened to go in. None of that changes the fact, that in general, he struggles to get his shot off against White though.

Dude, White is a great defender and a solid playmaker but his defense isn't (so far) good enough to supercede Murray's offense. Both are still developing, but Murray is the second best player on a title contender. White is a role player (3rd or 4th best) that needs to prove himself on the offensive end.

Why do you continue to bring up some made up comparison of Kevin Martin and Kawhi Leonard? No one has or is comparing the two & neither of the guys were speaking are at that level, yet.

Why don't you just let White continue to improve and stop arguing that he's better than he actually is. Next you'll say he's better than Kemba Walker and should be starting on team USA, lolol.

FkLA
09-04-2019, 02:34 PM
Dude, White is a great defender and a solid playmaker but his defense isn't (so far) good enough to supercede Murray's offense. Both are still developing, but Murray is the second best player on a title contender. White is a role player (3rd or 4th best) that needs to prove himself on the offensive end.

His defense isn't good enough to supercede Murray's offense? Says who? If you look at let's say RPM, White's is higher because his advantage in DRPM is bigger than Murray's advantage in ORPM. It's more like whatever advantage Murray has in scoring isn't enough to overcome the advantage White has in pretty much every other aspect of basketball. Once White averages 15+ PPG during the season, which he already did during the playoffs btw, this comparison will be laughable.

Also stop calling him the second best player on DEN like it's supposed to bolster your argument or something. If he is the second best player on a title contender (both of which are arguable), then he's a Jason Terry to Dirk type of second best player. Not a Curry, or a Manu, or a Kobe type of second best player.

Why do you continue to bring up some made up comparison of Kevin Martin and Kawhi Leonard? No one has or is comparing the two & neither of the guys were speaking are at that level, yet.

Because it's the same principle. I also brought up Bargnani and Draymond. Being a better scorer doesn't automatically make someone a better player.

Why don't you just let White continue to improve and stop arguing that he's better than he actually is. Next you'll say he's better than Kemba Walker and should be starting on team USA, lolol.

I'm not making any claims about White that aren't true. You're the one making stupid ass comments, actually.

-Murray lit the Spurs up for 7 games
-Murray is a borderline all-star
-Murray is way better than White
-Murray can get his shot off against almost anyone

J_Paco
09-04-2019, 10:59 PM
His defense isn't good enough to supercede Murray's offense? Says who? If you look at let's say RPM, White's is higher because his advantage in DRPM is bigger than Murray's advantage in ORPM. It's more like whatever advantage Murray has in scoring isn't enough to overcome the advantage White has in pretty much every other aspect of basketball. Once White averages 15+ PPG during the season, which he already did during the playoffs btw, this comparison will be laughable.

Also stop calling him the second best player on DEN like it's supposed to bolster your argument or something. If he is the second best player on a title contender (both of which are arguable), then he's a Jason Terry to Dirk type of second best player. Not a Curry, or a Manu, or a Kobe type of second best player.

Because it's the same principle. I also brought up Bargnani and Draymond. Being a better scorer doesn't automatically make someone a better player.

I'm not making any claims about White that aren't true. You're the one making stupid ass comments, actually.

-Murray lit the Spurs up for 7 games
-Murray is a borderline all-star
-Murray is way better than White
-Murray can get his shot off against almost anyone

You really in your feelings about White, huh?

Back to the main point you made, White isn't a Super Max (or Max) contract player and only an idiot like you would suggest that.

Although, he's the superior defender his tentative play on offense holds him back (a 7 game playoff sample size doesn't mean shit) from being better than Murray (to this point).

If he can be a better Malcolm Brogdon that would be huge for the Spurs.

And I love White and his game, but I won't start pumping him too soon. Especially, over an everyday starter (not based on circumstance/injury) that has improved every year of his career.

And again, none of those silly comparisons have anything to do with this current discussion. Except you attempting to change the subject to other players for some reason.

FkLA
09-05-2019, 01:27 PM
You really in your feelings about White, huh?

Back to the main point you made, White isn't a Super Max (or Max) contract player and only an idiot like you would suggest that.

Although, he's the superior defender his tentative play on offense holds him back (a 7 game playoff sample size doesn't mean shit) from being better than Murray (to this point).

You said "White's advantage on defense doesn't supercede Murray's advantage on offense". I bring up RPM (you can also look at BPM) which proves otherwise, and your response is that I'm in my feelings about White? True sign of someone that has no counter argument. :lol

The supermax post was a joke. Do you know how it works? He's not even eligible for it. Not my fault you're an idiot that took it seriously.

If he can be a better Malcolm Brogdon that would be huge for the Spurs.

He will be a better Brogdon. And for the record, I'd take Brogdon over Murray too. Then when you consider their contracts (4/$85 vs 5/$170) it's a no brainer. Gary Harris > Murray too, imo.

And I love White and his game, but I won't start pumping him too soon. Especially, over an everyday starter (not based on circumstance/injury) that has improved every year of his career.

"everyday starter"
"2nd best player on a title contender"

I like how you keep trying to use dumb descriptors, that are completely dependent on circumstances, to make him seem better than he is. :lol

You know if Murray had another promising PG on his team, that DEN was really high on, and had been drafted a year before him he wouldn't be the clear cut starter either. Mudiay has become a journeyman so he doesn't fit the bill. If he had DeRozan and LMA on his team he wouldn't be the 2nd best player. If he was on last year's Spurs squad in place of White the Spurs wouldn't have even been a playoff team much less a "title contender".

And again, none of those silly comparisons have anything to do with this current discussion. Except you attempting to change the subject to other players for some reason.

Actually, I've already explained to you like 3 times why those comparisons are being brought up. You're just choosing to ignore it just like you did my RPM and BPM comment.

J_Paco
09-05-2019, 01:50 PM
You said "White's advantage on defense doesn't supercede Murray's advantage on offense". I bring up RPM (you can also look at BPM) which proves otherwise, and your response is that I'm in my feelings about White? True sign of someone that has no counter argument. :lol

The supermax post was a joke. Do you know how it works? He's not even eligible for it. Not my fault you're an idiot that took it seriously.

He will be a better Brogdon. And for the record, I'd take Brogdon over Murray too. Then when you consider their contracts (4/$85 vs 5/$170) it's a no brainer. Gary Harris > Murray too, imo.

"everyday starter"
"2nd best player on a title contender"

I like how you keep trying to use dumb descriptors, that are completely dependent on circumstances, to make him seem better than he is. :lol

You know if Murray had another promising PG on his team, that DEN was really high on, and had been drafted a year before him he wouldn't be the clear cut starter either. Mudiay has become a journeyman so he doesn't fit the bill. If he had DeRozan and LMA on his team he wouldn't be the 2nd best player. If he was on last year's Spurs squad in place of White the Spurs wouldn't have even been a playoff team much less a "title contender".

Actually, I've already explained to you like 3 times why those comparisons are being brought up. You're just choosing to ignore it just like you did my RPM and BPM comment.

Man, I'm over this stupid argument. White and Murray are close in most advanced metric except swapping offense for defense being their respective strengths.

I'll take the guy who is less efficient, but more confident and a better scorer for now.

I love White's game and hope he can become a great combo guard of the bench (6th man) or starting.

You are gonna continue with your pointless comparisons, parroting advanced metrics (which are close other RPM & BPM) and acting as is White is the best or 2nd best player on the Spurs.

FkLA
09-05-2019, 02:05 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, bro. Noone said otherwise. But I'm also entitled to tell you how stupid that opinion is.

White >>> Murray

FkLA
09-05-2019, 02:07 PM
There were days when he looked like the "best player on the floor for either team" according to JVG. He's probably just a homer too though. :rolleyes

https://twitter.com/johndelizondo/status/1159240500651540481

JohnnyMax
09-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Jamal Murray vs Derrick White (text below are links)

Head to Head (http://bkref.com/tiny/yPAAG)

Player Comparison (http://bkref.com/tiny/5yNtW)

Down Under
09-05-2019, 06:26 PM
I'm taking White. He's a superior decision maker, his footwork is better, Murray is the better shooter at this point, but White hasn't had an opportunity to get any offensive rhythm with DD & LMA being such high usage guys.

FkLA
09-05-2019, 07:14 PM
I'm taking White. He's a superior decision maker, his footwork is better, Murray is the better shooter at this point, but White hasn't had an opportunity to get any offensive rhythm with DD & LMA being such high usage guys.

You're a smart Aussie. :tu

J_Paco
09-06-2019, 01:02 AM
You're entitled to your opinion, bro. Noone said otherwise. But I'm also entitled to tell you how stupid that opinion is.

White >>> Murray

Dude, your thoughts are just opinion too.

I'll update this thread during the preseason top 100 lists and see where they both land (since Jeff Van Gundy's opinion is so valid).

J_Paco
09-06-2019, 01:10 AM
Jamal Murray vs Derrick White (text below are links)

Head to Head (http://bkref.com/tiny/yPAAG)

Player Comparison (http://bkref.com/tiny/5yNtW)

Murray bested him in the regular season, playoffs, played more minutes and scored more. Their advanced metrics are close (except inverted for defense and offense), yet White is superior?

Just proves what damn fools some fans can be, man.

Side - note: I hope that one or two of White, Murray or Walker IV surpasses the Nuggets' foursome of Murray, Harris, Beasley & Morris. If they can that means the Spurs have better chance over taking them in the conference standings, but guys ain't there yet. That isn't meant as a slight to White or any of the three just giving the Nuggets backcourt respect (that they earned by whipping our ass last season).

FkLA
09-06-2019, 12:24 PM
Why don't you update it throughout the season, fool? Maybe then you'll be smart enough to realize White is in the midst of a breakout year.

:lol preseason lists