PDA

View Full Version : Peeved Armstrong signs with Hornets

KoriEllis
07-26-2003, 04:27 AM
Peeved Armstrong headed to Hornets

By Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted July 26, 2003

www.orlandosentinel.com/s...-headlines (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sptmagic26072603jul26,0,4615248.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines)

Maybe signing with the New Orleans Hornets will help take the sting out of Darrell Armstrong's unceremonious exit from the Orlando Magic.

Armstrong officially moved on Friday, signing a two-year contract for about $6 million with the New Orleans Hornets.

He said that he'll talk with Magic Coach Doc Rivers and others in the franchise who decided the 35-year-old point guard and fan favorite no longer fit in their plans -- but it may take some time.

"I haven't talked to Doc [Rivers] yet," Armstrong said from his cell phone. "I got to get over it. I can't be mad at him because he wanted to make a move. I want to thank them for putting up with me. I'm an emotional player.

"I just didn't like the way it was done. I went to war with Doc for four years. They had a different plan in mind. . . . It happens. I felt I should have ended my career there alongside Doc Rivers. Things happen sometime for the best.

"I'll talk to him sometime. I'm still not ready to talk to anyone [with the Magic.]"

Armstrong's agent, Glenn Schwartzman, said, "People make business decisions. In hindsight, would we have liked to have known sooner that they [the Magic] were not going to do anything with Darrell? Probably. They thought they could keep their options open and not burn bridges.

"I felt the organization . . . it would have been good to reach out to let Darrell know what they're thinking. That was disappointing."

Magic General Manager John Gabriel said the club kept Schwartzman informed but couldn't rule out re-signing Armstrong completely pending the unpredictable movement of free agents.

The Magic this week signed free agent Tyronn Lue to start at point guard and mentor rookie Reece Gaines. They also hope second-round pick Keith Bogans -- whom they signed Friday in what Gabriel said would be the final addition -- can play some point. Terms were not disclosed.

Armstrong said he picked the Hornets because they are a perennial playoff team and because Louisiana is close to his homes in Atlanta and Orlando. Thirteen teams had interest in Armstrong, and Schwartzman said his client would have been playing for the Washington Wizards if a sign-and-trade deal this week had not unraveled when free agent Gilbert Arenas signed with the Wizards.

"At first, I didn't think about New Orleans, to be honest. I was trying to go somewhere else," said Armstrong, who also was flirting with the Miami Heat, the San Antonio Spurs and the Golden State Warriors, who are coached by former Magic assistant Eric Musselman. "When the Washington deal fell through because of Arenas, I had to reroute. I looked over things. I should hit myself upside the head for not picking the Hornets first. They have the things you need in a team.

"And New Orleans is not far away from my places. I got a pretty good deal, but it's not about money. I want to get closer to winning a championship. Every year in Orlando, we'd go to the playoffs but couldn't go past the first round. I hope now I can get past the first, second and third."

Armstrong, who will back up Hornets starter Baron Davis, has decided to change numbers. He said he will wear No. 3 in honor of "one of my idols," former NFL kicker Mark Moseley.

A football player? Armstrong was a place-kicker in high school and at tiny Fayetteville (N.C.) State, where he once booted a 48-yard field goal wearing pink cleats.

Armstrong wore No. 10 with the Magic for nine seasons. Lue, who effectively made Armstrong expendable, has worn No. 10 for five NBA seasons. But Lue said he would not ask to wear it "out of respect for Darrell and what he's done here."

The Magic have talked about retiring Armstrong's No. 10 one day.

"I had to change numbers," Armstrong said. "I couldn't wear No. 10 anymore. Ten brings back too many memories of Orlando, and I'm trying to move on and start over."