PDA

View Full Version : NBA Countdown: Which player wore No. 50 best in league history?

ducks
09-02-2019, 11:21 PM
NBA Countdown: Which player wore No. 50 best in league history?
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-countdown-which-player-wore-no-50-best-in-league-history-140659920.html

Arcadian
09-02-2019, 11:47 PM
Obviously Dave. Does anyone else even come close?

phxspurfan
09-03-2019, 12:19 AM
BSPN with more subtle digs at the Spurs

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-03-2019, 06:40 AM

yahoo

and they basically gave dave a sloppy kiss on the butt

sananspursfan21
09-03-2019, 08:02 AM
It’s between Dave, Zach Randolph, Greg Oden and Joel Anthony. I haven’t read the article but I’m sweating boys, who’s it gonna be??? I don’t know if I can take the suspense!

Seventyniner
09-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Bryant Reeves. Next question.

spurraider21
09-03-2019, 09:20 AM
from the article

David Robinson is the easiest of choices.

spurraider21
09-03-2019, 09:21 AM
they're doing this for every jersey number during their 55 day countdown. man you are some sensitive fucks :lol

Russo21
09-03-2019, 10:18 AM
As long as they put Timmeh number 1 for no.21 then all is good in Spurs world. Will be interesting where Manu and Tony end up for 20 & 9. Same with Gervin at 44, Kawhi has a shot at whatever number he wore for us. Who else we got? Does LaSharcus have many competitors? Kudos to The Admiral, an easy choice for 50.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-03-2019, 10:34 AM
As long as they put Timmeh number 1 for no.21 then all is good in Spurs world. Will be interesting where Manu and Tony end up for 20 & 9. Same with Gervin at 44, Kawhi has a shot at whatever number he wore for us. Who else we got? Does LaSharcus have many competitors? Kudos to The Admiral, an easy choice for 50.

Agreed. I'll be curious on a few of those. Some jersey numbers are rarely picked for whatever reason.

Spurtacular
09-03-2019, 11:53 PM
6 should be Bill Russell or Dr. J; but ESPN gonna suck off Lebron per usual. Lots of greats have wore 33; but that should be Bird. Drexler will be 22. Kobe will get the nod for 8 or 24 (cheater). Parish will get 00. Wade got a chance at 3 I would think. Yea, Kawhi got a shot at 2. I can't even think of who ever wore 1 tbh. Those are some off the top of my head.

Spurtacular
09-03-2019, 11:54 PM
Agreed. I'll be curious on a few of those. Some jersey numbers are rarely picked for whatever reason.

Because in HS and College, they have to end 1-5 and often start at 10 and end in the 40's; so selection is limited and players often want their numbers still when they get to the pros.

daslicer
09-03-2019, 11:58 PM
6 should be Bill Russell or Dr. J; but ESPN gonna suck off Lebron per usual. Lots of greats have wore 33; but that should be Bird. Drexler will be 22. Kobe will get the nod for 8 or 24 (cheater). Parish will get 00. Wade got a chance at 3 I would think. Yea, Kawhi got a shot at 2. I can't even think of who ever wore 1 tbh. Those are some off the top of my head.

Moses Malone also wore #2 and had a much better career than the Spurs former #2.

Spurtacular
09-04-2019, 12:00 AM
Moses Malone also wore #2 and had a much better career than the Spurs former #2.

Yea, Moses gonna win it. He won multiple MVPs IIRC.

Arcadian
09-04-2019, 12:03 AM

Penny Hardaway

Ice009
09-04-2019, 12:38 AM
Penny Hardaway

Ooh Penny, good call. I think he'll get number one. Just bringing up his name makes me want to buy some of the shoes he used to wear. He used to have a really good shoe game back when he was in the NBA during his prime.

How many MVPs did Moses Malone win? I knew he was good, but I didn't know he won multiple MVPs? I have heard of him winning one, did know he won more than one.

daslicer
09-04-2019, 06:40 AM
Ooh Penny, good call. I think he'll get number one. Just bringing up his name makes me want to buy some of the shoes he used to wear. He used to have a really good shoe game back when he was in the NBA during his prime.

How many MVPs did Moses Malone win? I knew he was good, but I didn't know he won multiple MVPs? I have heard of him winning one, did know he won more than one.

He won 3 league mvps.

ZeusWillJudge
09-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Moses Malone was a BMF. Not just a good player, a BMF. He played a few years longer than he should have at the tail end of his career, but even with those seasons, he still averaged over 20 PTS and 12 or 13 RB per game for his career. When he was in his prime? He was putting up +/- 25 points a game, leading the league in rebounds, and getting sent to the FT line 10+ times a game. And that last bit wasn't because he couldn't hit FT's - he was a damn good FT shooter for a big man. Honestly, if Timmy had been able to shoot FT's as good as Malone, he would have been even more of a terror than he was. (Tim made about 5,900 FT's in his career. Malone made 9,000.) When you can knock down FT's consistently, and they still send you to the line, it's because they can't stop you any other way.

Did I mention that he was a BMF?

Millennial_Messiah
09-04-2019, 03:14 PM
they're doing this for every jersey number during their 55 day countdown. man you are some sensitive fucks :lol
Jason Williams (the white trash, not the murderer) will be #55?

TXstbobcat
09-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Moses Malone was a BMF. Not just a good player, a BMF. He played a few years longer than he should have at the tail end of his career, but even with those seasons, he still averaged over 20 PTS and 12 or 13 RB per game for his career. When he was in his prime? He was putting up +/- 25 points a game, leading the league in rebounds, and getting sent to the FT line 10+ times a game. And that last bit wasn't because he couldn't hit FT's - he was a damn good FT shooter for a big man. Honestly, if Timmy had been able to shoot FT's as good as Malone, he would have been even more of a terror than he was. (Tim made about 5,900 FT's in his career. Malone made 9,000.) When you can knock down FT's consistently, and they still send you to the line, it's because they can't stop you any other way.

I remember Moses playing for the spurs at the tail end of his career.

ZeusWillJudge
09-04-2019, 04:26 PM
I remember Moses playing for the spurs at the tail end of his career.

He played in SA a few games his last year. He was beyond done. I think Philly signed him after that just so he could retire a Sixer, but I don't know if he ever took the floor for them.

I had to go look this up: in '83, the Sixers swept the Kareem/Magic Lakers in the Finals. Malone was FMVP. He put up 26 points, 18 boards, and 2 assists per game and just dominated the series.

BatManu20
09-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Penny Hardaway

T-Mac was better than Penny tbh.

RC_Drunkford
09-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Did he know Big Meech?

Arcadian
09-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Ah shit, you're right. How could I forget? I was just arguing in another thread that McGrady > Harden :lol

Ice009
09-05-2019, 10:28 PM
Darn, I forgot about T-Mac too. I'd give him number 1, but Penny would have had a real chance if it wasn't for his injuries. He had a shorter prime than T-Mac.

Thanks for the info about Moses Malone. I didn't know he was such a beast. I'll have to look him up when I have some time.

gospursgojas
09-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Penny Hardaway

Ah shit, you're right. How could I forget? I was just arguing in another thread that McGrady > Harden :lol

What about DRose? He won an MVP.

ZeusWillJudge
09-06-2019, 03:35 PM
I was thinking about Grant Hill and Alonzo Mourning, who both lose a lot of recognition because of injuries/illness. And I remembered that both of them wore #33. Then it hit me how many other big name players wore 33. Kareem, Bird, Pippen, Ewing. Probably others I forgot. I can't think of any other number with that kind of competition.

Phenomanul
09-11-2019, 02:36 PM
I was thinking about Grant Hill and Alonzo Mourning, who both lose a lot of recognition because of injuries/illness. And I remembered that both of them wore #33. Then it hit me how many other big name players wore 33. Kareem, Bird, Pippen, Ewing. Probably others I forgot. I can't think of any other number with that kind of competition.

ZeusWillJudge
09-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Only if you count guys like Barkley, who only wore the number for one year. OR Dr. J, who is always going to be #6 even though he wore 32 a few seasons in the ABA. Shaq only wore it for 4 seasons - in Miami but not LA. There are some statues of Jordan wearing #32, but he never wore it himself. (One of the statues was on Jimmy Kimmel, and people kept trying to figure out why it had 32.)

A lot of guys have worn a number for a year or three, but it's not the number they're always remembered by. Jordan wore 45 when he came back from baseball, but he'll always be 23.

daslicer
09-11-2019, 09:00 PM
Barkley-Suns
Shaq-Lakers
Hakeem-Rockets
Paul Pierce-Celtics

ZeusWillJudge
09-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Barkley-Suns
Shaq-Lakers
Hakeem-Rockets
Paul Pierce-Celtics

Pretty damn good. :tu

That bunch definitely contends.

Phenomanul
09-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Only if you count guys like Barkley, who only wore the number for one year. OR Dr. J, who is always going to be #6 even though he wore 32 a few seasons in the ABA. Shaq only wore it for 4 seasons - in Miami but not LA. There are some statues of Jordan wearing #32, but he never wore it himself. (One of the statues was on Jimmy Kimmel, and people kept trying to figure out why it had 32.)

A lot of guys have worn a number for a year or three, but it's not the number they're always remembered by. Jordan wore 45 when he came back from baseball, but he'll always be 23.

Magic Johnson retired the number for the Lakers

Karl Malone retired the number for the Jazz

Kevin McHale retired the number for the Celtics

Shaquille O'Neal basically wore number 32 and 33 in franchises where those numbers weren't retired. He wore 32 in 3 franchise Orlando, Miami and Phoenix where said number was available and hadn't been retired.

I would say that all four of these players rank in the All-Time Top 35.

As an aside, Sean Elliott retired the number for the Spurs

Arcadian
09-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Would you consider Kobe for 8 or 24? I'd go with 8 because he won the majority of his titles wearing that number.

ZeusWillJudge
09-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Magic Johnson retired the number for the Lakers

Karl Malone retired the number for the Jazz

Kevin McHale retired the number for the Celtics

Shaquille O'Neal basically wore number 32 and 33 in franchises where those numbers weren't retired. He wore 32 in 3 franchise Orlando, Miami and Phoenix where said number was available and hadn't been retired.

I would say that all four of these players rank in the All-Time Top 35.

As an aside, Sean Elliott retired the number for the Spurs

Meh, it's not an exact science. Plus, I had missed McHale (I always hated that bastard). I'll concede. Especially when you throw Sean in. :D