PDA

View Full Version : Exposing The Lies That Are Told About Tim Duncan

daslicer
09-14-2019, 04:28 PM
Pvq-wFFuqPY

Great video that debunks all the myths the haters say about Tim Duncan. For all the Pop haters go to 10:00 minutes to see how the video illustrates Pop being overrated.

TimmyBuckets
09-15-2019, 05:11 AM
lmao

spursparker9
09-15-2019, 06:11 AM
Thanks for sharing

KobesAchilles
09-15-2019, 09:45 AM
Didn’t watch the video but is there a part about him having a gay lover and financing his wife’s new boyfriends gym?

widowmaker
09-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Didn’t watch the video but is there a part about him having a gay lover and financing his wife’s new boyfriends gym?

its a video about debunking myth so i don’t think so. But they do mention how kobe raped a girl in Denver paid her off to stay quiet and bought his wife a massive diamond ring to bury the hatchet.

Ibleedslvrnblk
09-15-2019, 12:53 PM
YouTube...were everyone has an opinion and a video will be made and posted. I think we have 100000 videos saying pop is great and people who actually played for him or in the league who say he is great. I think I'll go with those opinions then couch coaches...

daslicer
09-15-2019, 01:10 PM
YouTube...were everyone has an opinion and a video will be made and posted. I think we have 100000 videos saying pop is great and people who actually played for him or in the league who say he is great. I think I'll go with those opinions then couch coaches...

My problem with Pop is that people prop him up on purpose to diminish Duncan's legacy. It's always the bs narrative of "Duncan only won because of Pop. Duncan was a product of Pop's system." That to me is a bunch of horse shit.

ZeusWillJudge
09-15-2019, 01:38 PM

11 other current threads on the subject, and you had to start it up here too? You're worse than a fucking insurance salesman.

You sure you don't want to say something about Kawhi? Maybe Scola? We've gotten kind of lax about bringing them up in every thread.

SpursDynasty85
09-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Nice video. Fans ranking and using these excuses against TD do sound very uninformed. In truth, Pop, D-Rob, TP, Manu, Kawhi, etc... should most importantly thank TD. TD was the the Spurs mountain that these guys were privileged to climb.

Pavlov
09-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Uh, which Spurfan here is a Tim Duncan hater?

Or is this just another way to hate on other Spurs?

Tiresome tbh.

daslicer
09-15-2019, 02:48 PM
Uh, which Spurfan here is a Tim Duncan hater?

Or is this just another way to hate on other Spurs?

Tiresome tbh.

What's tiresome is fans of other teams and media constantly shitting on Duncan to prop up Pop's legacy.

Pavlov
09-15-2019, 02:53 PM
What's tiresome is fans of other teams and media constantly shitting on Duncan to prop up Pop's legacy.:lol yeah, who actually does that?

Who is constantly shitting on Duncan specifically?

Give explicit non YouTube examples.

TimmyBuckets
09-15-2019, 05:39 PM
11 other current threads on the subject, and you had to start it up here too? You're worse than a fucking insurance salesman.

You sure you don't want to say something about Kawhi? Maybe Scola? We've gotten kind of lax about bringing them up in every thread.

OP specifically mentions the minute (10:00) vid starts talking about Pop. Its a perfectly valid response. Like you state, there 11 other current threads on Pop (threads not posts lol), and you're mad at a response?

Duncan can be GOAT, while Pop is too.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
09-15-2019, 09:49 PM
Does it address his purported love for Dungeons and Dragons?

KobesAchilles
09-15-2019, 11:34 PM
its a video about debunking myth so i don’t think so. But they do mention how kobe raped a girl in Denver paid her off to stay quiet and bought his wife a massive diamond ring to bury the hatchet.

He also raped the Spurs in 2001 averaging 40 on them suckers. I kid I kid. I’m not even a Kobe fan, which is why my avatar is of him injured.

lefty
09-15-2019, 11:52 PM
Kobe > Tim

BackHome
09-16-2019, 12:14 AM

They Don’t Call Him “Back Door Kobe” for nothing. Lol

Brazil
09-19-2019, 12:22 PM
Kobe > Tim

:lmao

YGWHI
09-20-2019, 07:29 AM
:lol yeah, who actually does that?

It seems like you never hear Colin, Nick, Shannon and a bunch of shitty tv-guys saying Shaq was more explosive, more dominant...In part because they talk about Tim post-knee injury and forget his first years, in part because they see Tim as a Pop's product.

Something like "Tim was a Pop's guy. You know, always efficient but boring"

Years ago, even Tim vs Garnett was a thing when Tim was a million times better.

I never heard "MJ was a Phil's product" or "Kobe was a Phils's product"...You have to admit that Pop and his coaching ways overshadow his players.

MultiTroll
09-20-2019, 07:51 AM
True Tim better but Garnett was badass in 2003 and 2004.
Completely fucked out of a Champ appearance by LakerRef in '04.

J_Paco
09-20-2019, 07:58 AM
It seems like you never hear Colin, Nick, Shannon and a bunch of shitty tv-guys saying Shaq was more explosive, more dominant...In part because they talk about Tim post-knee injury and forget his first years, in part because they see Tim as a Pop's product.

I never heard "MJ was a Phil's product" or "Kobe was a Phils's product"...You have to admit that Pop and his coaching ways overshadow his players.

No, they don't. That only exists in the mind of insecure Spur fans that have a weird complex against the best coach in their team's history.

Pop gives all praise and due to Duncan (and to a lesser extent Ginobili/Parker), even stating that Duncan "made him look great" as a coach, but his team's fanbase (at least on ST) swears he takes all the praise. Their relationship is a lot like Auerbach and Russell, yet I never heard anyway (in the media or otherwise) trying to state who "deserved" more credit for the team's success from those Boston teams.

He is even rumored to not want to be inducted into the basketball HOF until Timmy is inducted/eligible.

Just like Jordan is (literally) cited for most, if not all, the success of the 1990's Bulls and little credit is shown to Jackson, Pippen, etc.

Anyone stupid enough to say Tim was a product of "Pop's system" should be completely ignored. He was the "system" (in some form or fashion) for about 19 years.

Pavlov
09-20-2019, 08:42 AM

I never heard "MJ was a Phil's product" or "Kobe was a Phils's product"...You have to admit that Pop and his coaching ways overshadow his players.:lol nobody see's Tim as Pop's "product." He was a #1 draft pick and was seen as a future hall of famer before that draft. You've bought your own narrative. This echo chamber isn't helping you.

rjv
09-20-2019, 09:27 AM
My problem with Pop is that people prop him up on purpose to diminish Duncan's legacy. It's always the bs narrative of "Duncan only won because of Pop. Duncan was a product of Pop's system." That to me is a bunch of horse shit.

that narrative isn't too common in these parts; i'd say it's the polar opposite that has more traction in ST.

rjv
09-20-2019, 09:28 AM
OP specifically mentions the minute (10:00) vid starts talking about Pop. Its a perfectly valid response. Like you state, there 11 other current threads on Pop (threads not posts lol), and you're mad at a response?

Duncan can be GOAT, while Pop is too.

:bobo

daslicer
09-20-2019, 10:08 AM
that narrative isn't too common in these parts; i'd say it's the polar opposite that has more traction in ST.

I was referring to this narrative being pushed outside of ST on other fan forums and with the media.

rjv
09-20-2019, 10:22 AM
I was referring to this narrative being pushed outside of ST on other fan forums and with the media.

well, for that matter, there are all kinds of narratives out there about the spurs: boring, over and done with, system instead of talent, never a dynasty, no longer a contender...

rogcl1
09-20-2019, 10:41 AM

Really? Show me some links. I don't recall any narrative of substance that is saying Duncan won because of Pop. Quite the contrary, Pop himself has always given Duncan credit for Pops own success.

YGWHI
09-21-2019, 10:50 AM
No, they don't. That only exists in the mind of insecure Spur fans that have a weird complex against the best coach in their team's history.

You've bought your own narrative.

My narrative? I guess that's why even Stephen Kobe's lover Smith calls Shaq "the most dominat force in NBA history"

Just me? In 2009 many fans here were disappointed that ESPN chose Lebron and Shaq over Duncan as all-time picks.
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126748

Like it or not, media created a narrative around Pop and his strong influence on his players, making them "his products", boring products, that overshadow their legacies.

R. DeMurre
09-21-2019, 11:13 AM

The only place where you might see those opinions expressed is on websites where amateur contrarians, trolls, and team rivals post. The opinion I hear most is that Duncan would've won anywhere and I've never heard a single coach, scout, or serious analyst say otherwise.

J_Paco
09-21-2019, 02:25 PM
My narrative? I guess that's why even Stephen Kobe's lover Smith calls Shaq "the most dominat force in NBA history"

Just me? In 2009 many fans here were disappointed that ESPN chose Lebron and Shaq over Duncan as all-time picks.

Like it or not, media created a narrative around Pop and his strong influence on his players, making them "his products", boring products, that overshadow their legacies.

Again, that is just the opinion of Smith and other ESPN writers. That doesn't speak to where other "analysts," writers and fans see Duncan as an all - time great.

And, physically speaking Shaq (with Chamberlain) was one of the most imposing players ever.

Duncan was dominant but in an entirely different way. I think most rational people realize that difference and also where Pop's coaching contributed.

Pavlov
09-21-2019, 02:28 PM

Like it or not, media created a narrative around Pop and his strong influence on his players, making them "his products", boring products, that overshadow their legacies.:lol see, there's your narrative again.

Anytime a ten year old poll or stupid talking head opinion doesn't go your way, you have to attribute it to Pop.

It doesn't work that way.

Frenchfred
09-21-2019, 04:27 PM
Too many Pop haters try to create a narrative that never existed. Nobody outside of ST said that Duncan won because of Pop

TD 21
09-22-2019, 04:35 PM
:lol
yeah, who actually does that?

Pop gives all praise and due to Duncan (and to a lesser extent Ginobili/Parker), even stating that Duncan "made him look great" as a coach, but his team's fanbase (at least on ST) swears he takes all the praise. Their relationship is a lot like Auerbach and Russell, yet I never heard anyway (in the media or otherwise) trying to state who "deserved" more credit for the team's success from those Boston teams.

He is even rumored to not want to be inducted into the basketball HOF until Timmy is inducted/eligible.

Just like Jordan is (literally) cited for most, if not all, the success of the 1990's Bulls and little credit is shown to Jackson, Pippen, etc.

Anyone stupid enough to say Tim was a product of "Pop's system" should be completely ignored. He was the "system" (in some form or fashion) for about 19 years.

I realize you're two of the biggest apologists on the forum, but you can't be serious? It's everywhere, all the time. Consume virtually any national Spurs related content and you'll see an abundance of it.

The most recent example is the 30 teams in the 30 days article, where Powell has the audacity to call him "the most important figure in club history". As a fan, I find it disgusting, embarrassing and offensive. I can only imagine being on the short list of greatest players of all time and having to deal with it.

Pavlov
09-22-2019, 05:39 PM
I realize you're two of the biggest apologists on the forum, but you can't be serious? It's everywhere, all the time. Consume virtually any national Spurs related content and you'll see an abundance of it.

The most recent example is the 30 teams in the 30 days article, where Powell has the audacity to call him "the most important figure in club history". As a fan, I find it disgusting, embarrassing and offensive. I can only imagine being on the short list of greatest players of all time and having to deal with it.:lol triggered by opinions and polls.

THE AUDACITY!

TD 21
09-22-2019, 05:42 PM
:lol triggered by opinions and polls.

THE AUDACITY!

You asked for an example, I give you one, then you resort to ad homenim to try to distract from the fact that it's true.

Pavlov
09-22-2019, 06:02 PM
You asked for an example, I give you one, then you resort to ad homenim to try to distract from the fact that it's true.:lol that's your example?

A little blurb about the season?

I mean shit, people will say Red Auerbach is the most important figure in Boston's history. Does that automatically mean Bill Russell is shit and downgraded as a player? No, it does not.

Do you understand?

TD 21
09-22-2019, 06:21 PM
:lol that's your example?

A little blurb about the season?

I mean shit, people will say Red Auerbach is the most important figure in Boston's history. Does that automatically mean Bill Russell is shit and downgraded as a player? No, it does not.

Do you understand?

Ah, so now it's the size of them that matters. What'll it be next?

This is a sport where the majority of the credit goes to the best player, except in this case. I'm convinced it played a significant part in Scumbag's wanting out, because he knew his profile would never be commensurate with his caliber of play here.

Do you understand?

Pavlov
09-22-2019, 06:55 PM
Ah, so now it's the size of them that matters. What'll it be next?Not my fault your example was weak.

This is a sport where the majority of the credit goes to the best player, except in this case.:lol I just gave you an example of another "exception."

I'm convinced it played a significant part in Scumbag's wanting out, because he knew his profile would never be commensurate with his caliber of play here.

Do you understand?Yes, I understand you're delusional. Players move from small markets to larger markets all the time. There are plenty of examples of this. He just went about it in a particularly douchey manner.

TD 21
09-22-2019, 08:34 PM
Not my fault your example was weak.

:lol I just gave you an example of another "exception."

Yes, I understand you're delusional. Players move from small markets to larger markets all the time. There are plenty of examples of this. He just went about it in a particularly douchey manner.

It wouldn't matter what the example was or how many examples were given, you'd still play this game in an attempt to defend your god.

No, you didn't. You just spouted it without a source and attempted to pass it off as fact.

Says the guy who acts like others take this too seriously, while spending probably more time on a message board of it than anyone. Ah, but save for Durant, they don't leave teams top few teams in the league, do they?

Pavlov
09-22-2019, 09:35 PM
It wouldn't matter what the example was or how many examples were given, you'd still play this game in an attempt to defend your god.:lol He's not my God. I think the current ownership is probably more important to the history of the franchise tbh. Just because you hate the guy doesn't prove Kawhi left because of Kawhi's perception of the media's opinion of Pop -- see how stupid that is?

No, you didn't. You just spouted it without a source and attempted to pass it off as fact.:lmao So no one in history could ever consider Red to be the most important figure in Celtics history?

OK.

If you want me to find a guy saying Red was a most important figure to basketball, above even any given team, I'll happily do that.

Do you want me to do that?

Says the guy who acts like others take this too seriously, while spending probably more time on a message board of it than anyone. Ah, but save for Durant, they don't leave teams top few teams in the league, do they?:lmao you just contradicted yourself right off the bat. By your criteria, Shaq is there too.

Bynumite
09-22-2019, 09:45 PM
Duncan is an heterosexual male. Biggest lie ever told about him.

TD 21
09-22-2019, 09:57 PM
:lol He's not my God. I think the current ownership is probably more important to the history of the franchise tbh. Just because you hate the guy doesn't prove Kawhi left because of Kawhi's perception of the media's opinion of Pop -- see how stupid that is?

:lmao So no one in history could ever consider Red to be the most important figure in Celtics history?

OK.

If you want me to find a guy saying Red was a most important figure to basketball, above even any given team, I'll happily do that.

Do you want me to do that?

:lmao you just contradicted yourself right off the bat. By your criteria, Shaq is there too.

Who said I hate him and when did I say I have proof or that it was the sole reason Scumbag left?

I don't care, but you come off as a hypocrite when you accuse others of not providing a source to back up their claim, then proceed to do the same.

I meant in this era. Obviously there are others throughout history, like Abdul-Jabbar. But it's a rarity nowadays considering the insecurity these divas have about rings and their "legacy".

Pavlov
09-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Who said I hate him and when did I say I have proof or that it was the sole reason Scumbag left?You love him and think it was only a small factor.

I don't care, but you come off as a hypocrite when you accuse others of not providing a source to back up their claim, then proceed to do the same.Do you want a source or not?

Sounds like you would rather just not talk about it anymore.

I meant in this era. Obviously there are others throughout history, like Abdul-Jabbar. But it's a rarity nowadays considering the insecurity these divas have about rings and their "legacy".:lol backtrack duly noted.

NOBODY DOES THIS EXCEPT FOR ALL THESE GUYS WHO DID IT

J_Paco
09-23-2019, 04:31 AM

The most recent example is the 30 teams in the 30 days article, where Powell has the audacity to call him "the most important figure in club history". As a fan, I find it disgusting, embarrassing and offensive. I can only imagine being on the short list of greatest players of all time and having to deal with it.

Again, great coaches can't win without great talent. And great talent can't win without good/great coaching.

Anyone with half a brain (including Pop) knows that Duncan was the focal point, catalyst and whatever else term you'd like to use for the Spurs' success.

He's the one on the all - time top 10 least (which is drawing straws when you get to the talent level), he's the one with the Finals MVP's, MVP's, All - NBA, All - Defense honors and countless records in the league's/Spurs' books.

Yes, Pop and R.C. are also great in a lot ways (criminally underrated on here) but everything began and (in a sense) ended with Duncan.

But, since you are always whining and finding a reason to bitch knowing that within yourself isn't enough. You need some pointless validation that Duncan himself never cared for.

Anyway, it'll be nice if they do go in the HOF together since it means a lot to Pop. And he/R.C. knows where their bread was buttered for nearly 20 years.

These last two seasons and World Cup are examples of why coaches, even an all-time great like Pop, need great talent to succeed. The margin for error dramatically decreased without an all-time great like Duncan as the linchpin.

Shit, but roster construction (that word y'all bitched about ad naseum last season) and coaching also play a factor.

diego
09-23-2019, 07:05 AM
Don't understand what's so complicated about this.. the guy on the video pretty much nailed it right off the bat-

-Pop is the goat coach
-neither pop nor Tony nor Manu (nor Timmy for that matter but he came closest of the 4) were consistently at their best throughout the spurs ridiculously long run
- certain players/ teams don't get the same criticisms, and that is almost entirely due to media perception, market size, popularity, ie non basketball related bullshit

TDfan2007
09-23-2019, 02:16 PM
Don't understand what's so complicated about this.. the guy on the video pretty much nailed it right off the bat-

-Pop is the goat coach
-neither pop nor Tony nor Manu (nor Timmy for that matter but he came closest of the 4) were consistently at their best throughout the spurs ridiculously long run
- certain players/ teams don't get the same criticisms, and that is almost entirely due to media perception, market size, popularity, ie non basketball related bullshit

Great summary of the video.

His point about Pop was that Pop's system often gets overhyped, since it never really reached fruition until around 2011, when Tim's wheels started falling off. Prior to that, Tim was essentially the system, especially from 1999-2004. The offense from 1998-2004 was slow, plodding, and predictable, only working because of Tim's greatness.

diego
09-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Great summary of the video.

His point about Pop was that Pop's system often gets overhyped, since it never really reached fruition until around 2011, when Tim's wheels started falling off. Prior to that, Tim was essentially the system, especially from 1999-2004. The offense from 1998-2004 was slow, plodding, and predictable, only working because of Tim's greatness.

Yeah offensively that is absolutely true, but coaching is more than just offense, and before 2011 pop had other successes, beyond just feeding Duncan- the corner 3/ spacing, emphasis on defensive rebounding, baseline /middle defensive principles, ego/ locker room mangement, trusting internationals.. didn't always work and not the ONLY coach to do that stuff but at least in the period I most watched - 2003-2015- he was hands down the best coach in the league, even with small ball in 06 :bang

TD 21
09-23-2019, 04:07 PM
You love him and think it was only a small factor.

Do you want a source or not?

Sounds like you would rather just not talk about it anymore.

:lol backtrack duly noted.

NOBODY DOES THIS EXCEPT FOR ALL THESE GUYS WHO DID IT

I just call it like I see it. But thank you for telling me what my opinion of something is.

Source, no source, I made my point.

I made the mistake of thinking you had common sense. Scumbag is actually in a class all his own, because Durant did it under the misguided notion that his career would be validated by winning a championship(s) at any cost.

Again, great coaches can't win without great talent. And great talent can't win without good/great coaching.

Anyone with half a brain (including Pop) knows that Duncan was the focal point, catalyst and whatever else term you'd like to use for the Spurs' success.

He's the one on the all - time top 10 least (which is drawing straws when you get to the talent level), he's the one with the Finals MVP's, MVP's, All - NBA, All - Defense honors and countless records in the league's/Spurs' books.

Yes, Pop and R.C. are also great in a lot ways (criminally underrated on here) but everything began and (in a sense) ended with Duncan.

But, since you are always whining and finding a reason to bitch knowing that within yourself isn't enough. You need some pointless validation that Duncan himself never cared for.

Anyway, it'll be nice if they do go in the HOF together since it means a lot to Pop. And he/R.C. knows where their bread was buttered for nearly 20 years.

These last two seasons and World Cup are examples of why coaches, even an all-time great like Pop, need great talent to succeed. The margin for error dramatically decreased without an all-time great like Duncan as the linchpin.

Shit, but roster construction (that word y'all bitched about ad naseum last season) and coaching also play a factor.

That's the point. It's not that he sucks or I hate him, it's that he's reliant on the one thing all other coaches are, only he's often not treated as such and it's insulting not only to the superstars and stars he's been fortunate to coach previously, but even the current ones. Don't be a fool, great talent can absolutely win without great coaching.

Sure, he's on all the top 10 all time lists, but he still receives plenty of backhanded compliments and faint praise for his actual ability. I don't need validation and as I said, it's not limited to just Duncan; it's every superstar and star of his tenure. Look at how Scumbag's profile rocketed the minute he got out. I also wouldn't assume it doesn't bother these players because none have said so publicly, when that's clearly not in any of their nature.

Pavlov
09-23-2019, 05:09 PM
I just call it like I see it. But thank you for telling me what my opinion of something is.

Source, no source, I made my point.So you want to drop it.

I made my point and you accept it, source or no source because you know there is a source.

I made the mistake of thinking you had common sense. Scumbag is actually in a class all his own, because Durant did it under the misguided notion that his career would be validated by winning a championship(s) at any cost.You made the mistake of undermining your own example immediately and leaving it open to more.

weeks
09-23-2019, 05:32 PM
"that's the system, he doing work coz of the system"
that's a fair sample of how people tend to underrate players because of Pop and the spurs culture in general.

also their stats suffer playing in San Antonio somewhat, at least the stars

Pavlov
09-23-2019, 06:11 PM
"that's the system, he doing work coz of the system"
that's a fair sample of how people tend to underrate players because of Pop and the spurs culture in general.

also their stats suffer playing in San Antonio somewhat, at least the starsSo they're successful because of the system but not as successful because of the system.

Makes sense!:tu

weeks
09-23-2019, 06:28 PM
So they're successful because of the system but not as successful because of the system.

Makes sense!:tu

Pop himself said he felt guilty coz of how his players wouldn't receive their full dues and their stats suffered because of how he managed their minutes and the emphasis on ball-movement. can't remember the exact quote but it's not some controversial statement

you're being contrary just to argue

Pavlov
09-23-2019, 08:56 PM
Pop himself said he felt guilty coz of how his players wouldn't receive their full dues and their stats suffered because of how he managed their minutes and the emphasis on ball-movement. can't remember the exact quote but it's not some controversial statement

you're being contrary just to argueBut your claim is the media says the system helps them. Direct contradiction.