PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Predicts Top 100 Players of 2019-20 Season

BatManu20
09-23-2019, 02:50 PM
They released 100-51 today.

Derrick White is ranked as the 100th best player (lol) and Dejounte as the 71st.

50-1 will be released later this week.

Yogatti
09-23-2019, 03:08 PM
It should be the other way around. Derrick White 71st.

Kawhi better be #1

K...
09-23-2019, 03:12 PM
The only possible spur i might want above 100 would be Rudy Gay, but I guess we all know he's tosb now.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-23-2019, 03:14 PM
We'll probably see LMA in the low 20s and DeMar in the upper 20s to low 30s. I wonder if Patty's FIBA dominance will earn him a top 50. :)

GusT15
09-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Posting SI's Top 100 Players of the 2020 Season that was published last week for comparisons

https://www.si.com/nba/top-100-nba-players-2020

Spurs

#94-DeJounte Murray
#91-Derrick White
#31-DeMar DeRozan
#16-LaMarcus Aldridge

SAGirl
09-23-2019, 04:57 PM
They must have some insider info into Dejounte being ahead of Derrick. I think he looked definitely ahead in preseason last year, but I couldn't put him ahead right now without seeing what level he's playing at after his injury.

HOpefully he clears up any doubts this season.

Edit: I didn't skim through the SI list, just saw some comments and they seem to be pretty even... that is more realistic perhaps.

FkLA
09-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Derrick White is ranked as the 100th best player (lol)

Criminally underrated, tbh.

BatManu20
09-23-2019, 05:41 PM
I’m curious as to where they’re gonna rank Zion tbh. My guess is in mid-the late 30’s.

Jsmythe
09-23-2019, 05:55 PM
They must have some insider info into Dejounte being ahead of Derrick. I think he looked definitely ahead in preseason last year, but I couldn't put him ahead right now without seeing what level he's playing at after his injury.

HOpefully he clears up any doubts this season.

Edit: I didn't skim through the SI list, just saw some comments and they seem to be pretty even... that is more realistic perhaps.

It says that they had Dejounte ranked last year at #64, so this year's #71 ranking is probably just keeping in line with the previous ranking considering that he has been out for a whole year and there isn't any new data to move him higher or lower. If anything Derrick White's ranking should be higher. Just skimming the list, but should people like Evan Fournier and Ja Morant be ranked higher than Derrick White?

Dennis the Menace
09-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Lol at Derrick being 100

If he plays with confidence he could average 16-24 every night with elite defense...right now.

SAGirl
09-23-2019, 06:22 PM
It says that they had Dejounte ranked last year at #64, so this year's #71 ranking is probably just keeping in line with the previous ranking considering that he has been out for a whole year and there isn't any new data to move him higher or lower. If anything Derrick White's ranking should be higher. Just skimming the list, but should people like Evan Fournier and Ja Morant be ranked higher than Derrick White?
Thanks for the reply. That explains things a bit. I didn't read it, just had a spontaneous reaction.

IMO, so much of this outside of perhaps the top 20-30 players is subjective depending on what they value the most, including some hype when it comes to young players.

I think Derrick tends to get knocked down due to him being already 25 and some of these "experts" not expecting him to improve that much more. At least that is how the ranking on SI explained it. I don't know for ESPN, didn't read theirs.

Degoat
09-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Wow ESPN has demar at 46 and Aldridge at 41 :pctoss

cd021
09-24-2019, 02:49 PM

As much as I'm meh on DDR, there aren't 45 players better than him in the NBA. Aldridge is top 25. That would put DDR around 30 at in my book.

RD2191
09-24-2019, 03:10 PM
Y'all think Kawhi takes the #1 spot?

ZeusWillJudge
09-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Y'all think Kawhi takes the #1 spot?

Who else could they give it to? The Lakers (LeBron) didn't make the playoffs. Steph wasn't dominant, and Durant is crippled.

The only three they could really consider are Giannis, Harden, and Kawhi. And Kawhi has the most recent FMVP.

apalisoc_9
09-24-2019, 05:01 PM

thats criminal

Aldridge has been an All-NBA caliber player the last two years.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-24-2019, 05:15 PM
thats criminal

Aldridge has been an All-NBA caliber player the last two years.

That's ESPN.

baseline bum
09-24-2019, 05:38 PM
As much as I'm meh on DDR, there aren't 45 players better than him in the NBA. Aldridge is top 25. That would put DDR around 30 at in my book.

There are three on the Spurs I'd take over DePression in a second (LMA, White, and Murray). Aldridge is definitely top 25 but until DeRozan can hit a three I think 45 is a bit high.

FkLA
09-24-2019, 06:44 PM
They have Porzingis at #34 above LMA. He's never even been a fringe all-star and his career high is like 17 PPG. :lol

I also haven't seen DWhite's son Jamal Murray listed yet so apparently they seem to think he's a Top 30 guy :lmao

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-24-2019, 07:13 PM
wow, just sad

J_Paco
09-24-2019, 07:20 PM
It should be the other way around. Derrick White 71st.

Kawhi better be #1

LOLOLOLOL

SI already ranked Antetokounmpo #1, so I guess that list "doesn't count."

Giannis is gonna be number one on all major lists, but y'all will protest.

Genovaswitness
09-24-2019, 08:50 PM
kawhi better be number 1. an eternal black eye for the spurs

Degoat
09-24-2019, 09:14 PM

better a black eye then a eternal bummed up quad lol

Genovaswitness
09-24-2019, 09:58 PM
better a black eye then a eternal bummed up quad lol

better a eternal bummed up quad than a eternal pussy choker

Degoat
09-24-2019, 11:12 PM
better a eternal bummed up quad than a eternal pussy choker

Someones TRIGGERED! lol :lmao you must be talking about how Kawhi was being carried by Kyle Lowry and Siakam all year

cd021
09-25-2019, 01:07 AM
They have Porzingis at #34 above LMA. He's never even been a fringe all-star and his career high is like 17 PPG. :lol

I also haven't seen DWhite's son Jamal Murray listed yet so apparently they seem to think he's a Top 30 guy :lmao

That's fucking silly, 'Taps hasn't played in a year and a half and he's better than Aldridge? LMA was a 2X Allstar in that span.

cd021
09-25-2019, 01:12 AM
There are three on the Spurs I'd take over DePression in a second (LMA, White, and Murray). Aldridge is definitely top 25 but until DeRozan can hit a three I think 45 is a bit high.

His lack of a 3 pt shot, keeps him out of the top 20 but he is still an 21/6/6 player that's plenty productive to be a top 30 player.

Genovaswitness
09-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Someones TRIGGERED! lol :lmao you must be talking about how Kawhi was being carried by Kyle Lowry and Siakam all year

one of the best finals runs of all time :lmao

versus

sitting in a parking lot posting insta stories with nipsey hussle playing in the background. demar is a fucking joke

J_Paco
09-25-2019, 09:04 AM

He won't be just like he wasn't on the SI list. Giannis is the best player in the NBA, today, not Leonard with his need for "load management" and only playing (elite) defense in the playoffs.

J_Paco
09-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Criminally underrated, tbh.

Hey, idiot didn't I say that Murray would be higher ranked on these lists? Murray is a below - average defensive player but is durable, starts (regularly), durable and far more aggressive/consistent on offense.

Seems like the publications agree with me.

baseline bum
09-25-2019, 09:41 AM
His lack of a 3 pt shot, keeps him out of the top 20 but he is still an 21/6/6 player that's plenty productive to be a top 30 player.

Meh, empty stats when he plays no defense and can't spread the floor. Now that White has shown he's starting level I hope the Spurs can find a way to trade Derozan for someone useful.

timtonymanu
09-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Hey, idiot didn't I say that Murray would be higher ranked on these lists? Murray is a below - average defensive player but is durable, starts (regularly), durable and far more aggressive/consistent on offense.

Too bad the dislike button doesn't work anymore cause this post reeks of faggotry.

Genovaswitness
09-25-2019, 09:49 AM
He won't be just like he wasn't on the SI list. Giannis is the best player in the NBA, today, not Leonard with his need for "load management" and only playing (elite) defense in the playoffs.

you can see him kissing kawhi’s nuts here https://youtu.be/pYqJhoJaM4Q

Dex
09-25-2019, 11:47 AM

What the hell are you talking about?

Murray has made All Defense 2nd Team, just missed the entire last season, and still hasn't proven that he can shoot a basketball in actual games yet.

cjw
09-25-2019, 11:55 AM
ESPN doesn’t award titles. Who cares.

They also forgot about the Spurs’ other point guard (wannabe) who seems to have dropped like 50 pounds of fat and added 20 pounds of muscle. NBA doesn’t know what’s about to hit them. All in time for a contract extension next offseason.

FkLA
09-25-2019, 12:11 PM

Murray has made All Defense 2nd Team, just missed the entire last season, and still hasn't proven that he can shoot a basketball in actual games yet.

He's talking about Jamal Murray. The prototypical overpaid and overrated player...can't defend worth a shit, inefficient volume scorer.

I'd even take IB over that faggot and everyone knows I'm not IB's biggest fan.

Dex
09-25-2019, 12:19 PM
He's talking about Jamal Murray. The prototypical overpaid and overrated player...can't defend worth a shit, inefficient volume scorer.

I'd even take IB over that faggot and everyone knows I'm not IB's biggest fan.

Ah, that makes more sense...

I was sitting here like, "You just described the opposite of Dejounte" :lol

Jsmythe
09-25-2019, 01:30 PM
30 - Devin Booker
28 - Trae Young
27 - Jamal Murray
26 - D'Angelo Russell
25 - De'Aaron Fox
20 - Donovan Mitchell
16 - Luka Doncic
15 - Ben Simmons

It's like they went crazy and ranked on future potential rather than how good players will actually be for next season. The list is supposed to be "Which player will be better in 2019-2020"? If you are in the top 30 range, that means you should either be on the all-star team or the one who just missed the cut. Top 15 means all-nba level. A lot of these guys are not going to be anywhere near that level next year. This is just ESPN hyping the next generation of talent. Meanwhile, ACTUAL all stars like Jrue Holiday (31), Victor Oladipo (33), Al Horford (37), Draymond Green (38), Kyle Lowry (39), LaMarcus Aldridge (41) are moved down to make room for the younger guys.

Gibbz
09-25-2019, 01:55 PM
CJ McCollum 13 :rollin

J_Paco
09-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Too bad the dislike button doesn't work anymore cause this post reeks of faggotry.

He literally argued with me for an entire weekend that White (after only one quality season) was better than Jamal Murray. Seems like he, and other homer fans, only hold that stupid opinion.

Also, my opinion doesn't mean I dislike White, far from the case, just that I want to see him improve on the court and the hype not to get too far.

J_Paco
09-25-2019, 04:00 PM

Jamal Murray, not DeJounte Murray, is who we are arguing about, homie. Sorry for the obvious confusion since this was an argument from downstairs.

Overall, ESPN's list is pretty terrible but that shouldn't surprise anyone. Trae Young is the exact kind of player that Jamal Murray is being accused of being, with less size and athleticism, yet somehow is the 28th best player in the NBA. Sure, ESPN......

BatManu20
09-25-2019, 04:16 PM

Dex
09-25-2019, 04:23 PM

Typical ESPN nonsense.

Dude hasn't even stepped foot on an NBA court yet, and they want to say he is basically going to be in the top 90th percentile?

Don't get me wrong, he could be a great talent...or he could just be a more athletic Dejuan Blair. The hype machine is working overtime on this kid.

FkLA
09-25-2019, 07:00 PM
He literally argued with me for an entire weekend that White (after only one quality season) was better than Jamal Murray. Seems like he, and other homer fans, only hold that stupid opinion.

Also, my opinion doesn't mean I dislike White, far from the case, just that I want to see him improve on the court and the hype not to get too far.

JMurray being a Top 30 guy is fucking laughable. Like I knew he was going to be overrated, because players that are pretty good at (inefficient) scoring and suck at everything else have been fooling idiots like you into overrating them for years...but holy shit #27?!? :lmao :lmao

DWhite, DMurray, Brogdon, Gary Harris, Eric Gordon, Beverly, Holliday -- all PG/combo guards ranked below him that I would take over that faggot in a heartbeat

dbestpro
09-25-2019, 07:35 PM
The last time ESPN was on its game Magic and Bird were playing.

J_Paco
09-26-2019, 01:01 AM
JMurray being a Top 30 guy is fucking laughable. Like I knew he was going to be overrated, because players that are pretty good at (inefficient) scoring and suck at everything else have been fooling idiots like you into overrating them for years...but holy shit #27?!? :lmao :lmao

DWhite, DMurray, Brogdon, Gary Harris, Eric Gordon, Beverly, Holliday -- all PG/combo guards ranked below him that I would take over that faggot in a heartbeat

Yeah, an aging Patrick Beverley and Eric Gordon over Jamal Murray. That is a reasonable, smart take.....

Jrue Holiday is the only player that you mentioned worth taking over Jamal Murray. I don't even love the guy's game fully, but he is further along than any of our guards and Brogdon (jack of all trade, master of none type). Especially, when (like Tony Parker w/ the Spurs) he's the perfect guard to play off of Jokic and has better defenders in Harris, Craig, Beasley & Millsap to hide his defensive deficiencies.

Scoring, even at a higher volume and lower efficiency, is going to be valued more that other aspects especially with point guards (considered the least defensive impact position). Otherwise, Kyrie Irving, D'Angelo Russell & (yes) Jamal Murray wouldn't be starters or valued highly in "today's" NBA. That is just how it goes, buddy.

Defensive - minded, low offensive impact PG's (Murray, Beverley, Ball, Payton and to lesser degree White) are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Hopefully, Murray and White (who is more like Brogdon/Holiday) can become good to great on that end giving them a better case against a Murray, Russell, etc.

Also, you keep bashing Murray but a lot of his advanced metrics are on - par with White. Obviously, one guy is a better/more aggressive scorer while the other is a superior defender.

Nothing wrong with liking our guy more, but it is foolish to think he's ahead development/skill level wise with only one season (against 3) of NBA play.

FkLA
09-26-2019, 11:06 PM
Yeah, an aging Patrick Beverley and Eric Gordon over Jamal Murray. That is a reasonable, smart take.....

Jrue Holiday is the only player that you mentioned worth taking over Jamal Murray. I don't even love the guy's game fully, but he is further along than any of our guards and Brogdon (jack of all trade, master of none type). Especially, when (like Tony Parker w/ the Spurs) he's the perfect guard to play off of Jokic and has better defenders in Harris, Craig, Beasley & Millsap to hide his defensive deficiencies.

For this upcoming year, hell yeah I'd take them over that faggot. This is a ranking for the 19-20 season only. Age is irrelevant.

Scoring, even at a higher volume and lower efficiency, is going to be valued more that other aspects especially with point guards (considered the least defensive impact position). Otherwise, Kyrie Irving, D'Angelo Russell & (yes) Jamal Murray wouldn't be starters or valued highly in "today's" NBA. That is just how it goes, buddy.

There are tiers to scoring point guards. Kyrie is tier one, someone like Kemba is tier two, D'Angelo tier three, Murray is probably like tier five. Don't lump him in with better scorers to try to prop him up. They're better playmakers too.

Defensive - minded, low offensive impact PG's (Murray, Beverley, Ball, Payton and to lesser degree White) are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Hopefully, Murray and White (who is more like Brogdon/Holiday) can become good to great on that end giving them a better case against a Murray, Russell, etc.

White isn't going to be a low impact offensive player though. You're an idiot if you think he'll be a Payton or even a Beverly.

Also, you keep bashing Murray but a lot of his advanced metrics are on - par with White. Obviously, one guy is a better/more aggressive scorer while the other is a superior defender.

Nothing wrong with liking our guy more, but it is foolish to think he's ahead development/skill level wise with only one season (against 3) of NBA play.

On par with what was essentially a rookie White. Yet somehow some idiot gave him a $160 million contract and other idiots have him ranked 70+ spots ahead of White. You can claim victory because some idiot ranked him Top 30, I'll just wait until the season starts and White is in the midst of his breakout year.

J_Paco
09-27-2019, 12:25 AM
For this upcoming year, hell yeah I'd take them over that faggot. This is a ranking for the 19-20 season only. Age is irrelevant.

There are tiers to scoring point guards. Kyrie is tier one, someone like Kemba is tier two, D'Angelo tier three, Murray is probably like tier five. Don't lump him in with better scorers to try to prop him up. They're better playmakers too.

White isn't going to be a low impact offensive player though. You're an idiot if you think he'll be a Payton or even a Beverly.

On par with what was essentially a rookie White. Yet somehow some idiot gave him a $160 million contract and other idiots have him ranked 70+ spots ahead of White. You can claim victory because some idiot ranked him Top 30, I'll just wait until the season starts and White is in the midst of his breakout year.

Sure, man. Look you can keep repeating your opinion ad naseum but the "experts" agree with my assessment (just like you were riding Van Gundy's nuts a few months ago). Its okay, buddy. There is enough room for our guys to improve (and become as good as you think they are) and the Nuggets to do their thing.

You can keep screaming in an empty room, though.