View Full Version : Spurs lookin' good, but it's a long way 'til June

Manu20
11-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Updated: Nov. 1, 2005, 12:58 PM ET
Spurs lookin' good, but it's a long way 'til June
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN Insider

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2210031

It's been two months since Magic Johnson declared, "It's over," and now, finally, it begins.

The San Antonio Spurs get their championship rings Tuesday night before starting their march toward a repeat, taking on the Denver Nuggets in one of four opening-night games.

Yes, folks, nothing but a repeat is in store, and Magic isn't the only one who says so. In a poll of 12 NBA experts here at ESPN -- yes, we have a dozen experts on the payroll (What? Too many?) -- every single one chose San Antonio to become the NBA's first repeat champion in four years. All that brainpower could never be wrong, right?

Well, it's a 30-team league, and 29 of those teams would probably be best served by taking exception. A few of them, to be sure, actually have a fighting chance.

"We believe, honestly, that there are five, six, seven other teams that have just as much of a chance to win the championship as much as we do. The fact that we're favored is pretty meaningless to us," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

What Pop neglected to mention was that a majority of those so-called contenders reside in the Eastern Conference.

So who exactly was Pop talking about? We'll make that Question 1 as we explore the top 10 questions of the upcoming season:

Q: Who but the Spurs might win it all?

A: At first glance, it seemed each of the teams thought to represent the top competition in the West had taken a serious hit.

With Phoenix losing three-fifths of its starting five (Amare Stoudemire is out four months after microfracture surgery on his knee, and Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson were traded), the team that led the NBA last season with 62 victories is a shell of its former self. So there's no chance Pop was talking about the Suns, was there?

But aside from the Suns ...

Did Dallas (Michael Finley, Shawn Bradley) and Houston (Bob Sura) really lose that much? The Mavericks will have depth (Jerry Stackhouse, Marquis Daniels, Keith Van Horn and Devin Harris coming off the bench) to match anyone in the conference except the Spurs. Meanwhile, the Rockets redid their backcourt, adding Rafer Alston and Derek Anderson, and will bring Stromile Swift, David Wesley, Jon Barry and Dikembe Mutombo off the bench.

The Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers and Miami Heat are everyone's top three in the East, but the New Jersey Nets have championship-caliber talent and a deeper bench than a year ago, while the Cleveland Cavaliers provided enough experienced, complementary pieces (Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall, Damon Jones) to LeBron James to at least be considered a legitimate contender to break into the East's top four.

Not sure if our list matches Popovich's, but it has to be close.

Q: Where will things go sour first?

A: It's too easy to say Oklahoma City, where the Hornets will struggle to win 10 games. That's like saying the Spurs will be good.

But check out central Florida, where things were going south fairly precipitously for the Orlando Magic at the end of last season, and it's hard to see any way Brian Hill can make a quick fix after the team made what amounted to zero significant moves in the offseason.

The Magic play eight of their first 12, and 18 of their first 27, at home, and it'll be a long, slow trip through the final four months of the season if Steve Francis, Dwight Howard and their supporting cast don't start strong.

Q: So Brian Hill is the favorite to be the first coach fired?

A: No. Not when they just brought him back.

The hot seat will belong to Rick Adelman of Sacramento if Mike Bibby and Peja Stojakovic's preseason shooting woes presage what's ahead for the Kings, who should be the class of a weak division. If they aren't in first place a month from now, look for the Maloofs to jettison the only coach the franchise has had for seven-plus seasons. They would have axed Adelman over the summer if Phil Jackson had been interested.

If Adelman isn't the first to go, it might just be Toronto's Sam Mitchell or the Hornets' Byron Scott. The Hornets have already fired just about everyone else.

Q: Which teams are being overlooked?

A: In the West, there's been so much speculative talk about the possible rise of the Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Clippers that everyone seems to be ignoring the Memphis Grizzlies, whose additions of Eddie Jones, Damon Stoudamire and Bobby Jackson bring a veteran maturity that was lacking the past two years as the Grizz were swept out of the first round. Shane Battier keeps getting better, and Pau Gasol was super sharp in the preseason.

"I think we accomplished what we wanted to. The next step for this franchise is to get back [to the playoffs], but then to win," coach Mike Fratello said.

In the East, plenty of folks are already flip-flopping on their gloomy preseason predictions for the Milwaukee Bucks, who now have a big lineup playing for a coach who expected to play small ball.

Q: On the flip side, which teams are being overrated?

A: At a time of the year when optimism flows like jump shots from Ricky Davis' right hand, it's hard to say anyone is being out-and-out overrated.

But expectations might have raised perhaps a little too high in Golden State and Denver, while Washington won't have an easy time getting back to the second round. New York Knicks fans truly believe Larry Brown can get them the eighth seed, but it'll be a long climb out of a deep hole if New York's start is as bad as Brown expects.

Q: Which rookies will be difference-makers?

A: No. 1 pick Andrew Bogut won't shoulder the whole load now that Jamaal Magloire is aboard in Milwaukee, but that should only help Bogut as he learns the NBA ropes.

Joey Graham has made the starting lineup in Toronto, and Charlie Villanueva had a strong enough preseason to take some of the heat off Raptors GM Rob Babcock for selecting him.

Deron Williams should be the starting point guard in Utah before too long.

Chris Paul won't have to wait to take over playmaking duties for the Hornets, and Johan Petro of France has won the starting center spot in Seattle.

One experienced rookie to keep an eye on is Sarunas Jasikevicius. Indiana's coaching staff already considers him to be the team's best pure shooter. He was the MVP of the last two Euroleague Final Fours with Maccabi Tel Aviv, and Jasikevicius (pronounced yah-sa-KEV-uh-chiss) knocked down four 3-pointers against Stephon Marbury in the Olympics when Lithuania handed the United States one of its three defeats.

Q: What about trades? Any big names going to change teams?

A: Right now, all eyes are on Paul Pierce of the Celtics as Boston transitions to a youth movement, but Danny Ainge is having a hard time finding a decent offer as opposing GMs try to pull off the type of steal Rod Thorn made for New Jersey last year when he acquired Vince Carter.

If things start extra slowly in New York, don't be shocked if Larry Brown convinces Isiah Thomas to get rid of Marbury. There's deeper animosity between the two than either would have the public believe.

Things also aren't going so swimmingly in Portland between Zach Randolph and new coach Nate McMillan. The Trail Blazers also would be willing to move Ruben Patterson to free up time for Travis Outlaw, and Theo Ratliff is being paid too much ($11.7 over this season and the next two) to be a backup center. Someone in need of size will be willing to take a chance.

Denver would deal Nene Hilario if it got a big man and a shooting guard in return, but that'll be hard to pull off with Nene making only $3.04 million.

Q: What's going on in Week 1 that might ratchet up the interest of casual fans?

A: Well, Ron Artest plays in a game that matters for the first time since the Palace Brawl when Indiana opens at Orlando on Wednesday, and it'll be interesting to see how he responds if the league's referees keep Artest on a short leash.

Nuggets-Spurs on opening night could be a preview of the Western Conference finals.

Phil and Kobe at Denver is the late game of Wednesday night's doubleheader.

Larry Brown's home debut is Friday, as is the first Cavs-Spurs game.

The Bobcats open their new building Saturday, and Sam Cassell goes against his former Minnesota teammates on Monday.

Q: What about Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson? Can they coexist after what Phil said about Kobe in his book?

A: Both men claim they've put it behind them, though they haven't actually had a discussion about what Jackson wrote. And since one of the things Jackson wrote was that Bryant is a grudge-holder, this thing still has the potential to boil over.

Neither is accustomed to prolonged stretches of losing, and both are capable of sending harsh signals to the other through the media.

So the over/under on the date of their first feud is Dec. 22.

Q: Anything else worth mentioning?

A: Yeah, the Pistons are even deeper than they were the past two seasons, and maybe most of us -- including the majority of the experts at ESPN -- are overlooking or forgetting exactly how formidable they were the past two seasons.

Chris Sheridan, a national NBA reporter for the past decade, covers the league for ESPN Insider.

Pistons < Spurs
11-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Updated: Nov. 1, 2005, 12:58 PM ET

A: Yeah, the Pistons are even deeper than they were the past two seasons, and maybe most of us -- including the majority of the experts at ESPN -- are overlooking or forgetting exactly how formidable they were the past two seasons.

Chris Sheridan, a national NBA reporter for the past decade, covers the league for ESPN Insider.

YESSSIR!

CubanMustGo
11-01-2005, 02:45 PM

One place the Pistons aren't deeper: at coach.

strangeweather
11-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Did he really use Damon Stoudamire and "veteran maturity" in the same sentence?

easjer
11-01-2005, 02:48 PM
The Pistons remain a question mark until it is evident how they play under Flip. I'm not counting them out yet, but I'm giving the Pacers the edge in the EC. IF Flip pull sthem together, they could edge Indiana out, but . . . I've got the distinct feeling the time for the Pistons may have passed.

Hope not - love to see a rematch.

Pistons < Spurs
11-01-2005, 03:01 PM
You all will see. The atmosphere has never been better in the lockerroom w/ these guys. Flip is opening up the offense which all the players are happy to death about. The defense is going to continue to be very strong. Perhaps even better in years past w/ the addition of some zone D. Our team is now twice as deep as we were under LB due to the fact that LB wouldn't let Arroyo,Delfino,Darko or Dupree (now replaced w/ Evans) ever get on the court. Sheed is 20 pounds lighter and playing w/ a hunger that wasn't there in the past. IMO we are actually a MUCH better team thatn we were the last 2 years.

The addition of Flip/ Loss of LB is going to be a very good thing for this team. I hope you all get a chance to see some of our games this year, as I expect great things.

Pistons will meet SA in the Finals again this year............but this team we win.

T Park
11-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Who did the Pistons add this summer other than Dale Davis, to say that their depth is better?

T Park
11-01-2005, 03:10 PM
The addition of Flip/ Loss of LB is going to be a very good thing for this team

See, I stopped taking you seriously after you said this.

Larry Brown is one of the top 5 best coaches EVER.

Flip Saunders is an offensive coordinator who thinks Defense is a nuisance.

nkdlunch
11-01-2005, 03:12 PM
maybe he meant deeper by graduating the Human Cigar to actual Human Player

spursfaninla
11-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Wow, they recently started selling rose-colored glasses in Detroit, huh?

The reason Larry didn't play most of your bench was because they were not as reliable as the starters, even tired starters. Now, with a(n) (admittedly) better bench your starters numbers might just go down, but they could be more efficient.

I doubt Flip does anything positive for your team. Playing ball control was better for your team; they are built to play transition ball off of turnovers, but other than that they are not fast enough to really run. Plus you can't really play "open" offense and expect your d to stay the same; it just doesn't work that way. I expect your d to deteriorate over the year.

Pistons < Spurs
11-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Who did the Pistons add this summer other than Dale Davis, to say that their depth is better?

Maurice Evans. Who will probably be the primary back-up for Tay
Jason Maxiell. Our first round pick..may not get tons of minutes though.

And it's not so much who they added, but who the coaching staff allows to play.

Last year we had Arroyo, Delfino, Dupree, Darko, Elden all wasting away on the bench. The only guys who ever played from the second unit were Dice and Hunter....and occasionally though rarely, Arroyo. We effectively have doubled the amount of players who will get meaningful playing time simply by getting rid of LB.

We ran 7 deep all year when we should have been 9-10 strong. Not to mention how this distribution of minutes would have helped players like Tay who was obviously not himself late in the playoffs.

We will now have a legit second team: That will contribute.

Arroyo
Delfino
Evans
Darko
Dice

Pistons < Spurs
11-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Larry Brown is one of the top 5 best coaches EVER.

And for all of his good attributes, he has just as many negatives.

T Park
11-01-2005, 03:30 PM
lol.

Yeah, bringing that championship to Detroit, what a horrible thing.

We ran 7 deep all year when we should have been 9-10 strong

If you guys ran out Darvin Ham consistently you wouldve been the 6th seed.

You guys WAAAYYYYY overrate your talent.

easjer
11-01-2005, 03:51 PM
The addition of Flip/ Loss of LB is going to be a very good thing for this team. I hope you all get a chance to see some of our games this year, as I expect great things.

I'm very, very excited about the Christmas Day matchup (on ABC, so I can watch wherever we end up spending the holidays). I'll pull a schedule and see what else will be on cable and catch a few games. Pistons were one of my favorite teams a couple years ago.

Pistons will meet SA in the Finals again this year............but this team we win.

Well, no, but the rematch should be good. :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-01-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm with Sheridan, I think the Pistons are going to look very good this year. True Flip's not going to tattoo the word "DEFENSE" across everyone's foreheads like LB, but I think that most of the holdovers from last year's teams aren't going to forget how to play good defense. However I think that their bench will continue to be a weakness. Part of that will be because of the lack of minutes that Larry ever let them play. If Flip opens up the rotation that they get reliable minutes they're going to have to learn on the fly. Darko should improve considerably, but he's not going to explode into a sixth man overnight. And Arroyo looked just as poor as Beno, if not worse in the Finals last year. The brunt of the burden is going to fall squarely on the starting lineup.

I think their will be a rematch, but the Spurs handle things in six this time.

Pistons < Spurs
11-01-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm with Sheridan, I think the Pistons are going to look very good this year. True Flip's not going to tattoo the word "DEFENSE" across everyone's foreheads like LB, but I think that most of the holdovers from last year's teams aren't going to forget how to play good defense.

Yep, our guys are a defense first approach team. That will not change. And something that is not mentioned all that often, is that we were a defensive powerhouse before LB came to town.

However I think that their bench will continue to be a weakness. Part of that will be because of the lack of minutes that Larry ever let them play. If Flip opens up the rotation that they get reliable minutes they're going to have to learn on the fly.

Only time will tell, but I expect very good things from the bench.

Darko should improve considerably, but he's not going to explode into a sixth man overnight.

Correct. Too many Piston fans act like this year will be like the second coming of christ. He will improve as he gets playing time. But, at least this year, we can use Darko on Duncan instead of putting Tay on him like we did in game 7.

And Arroyo looked just as poor as Beno, if not worse in the Finals last year. The brunt of the burden is going to fall squarely on the starting lineup.

Agree, but a large part of that was the rigidity of LB. He completely screwed w/ the confidence of all the young guys. (Darko,Delfino,Arroyo)

HB22inSA
11-01-2005, 05:22 PM
(yawn)

Wake me up in June...

samikeyp
11-01-2005, 05:31 PM
You all will see. The atmosphere has never been better in the lockerroom w/ these guys

So you have been in the locker room and you know this as fact.

Pistons < Spurs
11-01-2005, 06:05 PM
So you have been in the locker room and you know this as fact.

Obviously not, this is an obversation based upon interviews and written quotes from the players. :rolleyes

T Park
11-01-2005, 06:06 PM
and players wont lie to put on a good face right?

THose players (the ones that acted right) adored Brown.

Ru kidding me.

samikeyp
11-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Obviously not, this is an obversation based upon interviews and written quotes from the players.

So then you are of the opinion that the locker room is better.

if it were a problem...the players would come out and say it, right? :rolleyes

samikeyp
11-01-2005, 06:48 PM
The author is right though...the NBA season is a marathon, not a sprint. Its all about getting consistency and staying healthy over the long haul. The Spurs ,IMO, are in great shape for the consistency part...hopefully the health part will be good too.

TDMVPDPOY
11-01-2005, 11:11 PM
who gives a bog, we are on target for 82-0

ro_50
11-01-2005, 11:30 PM
I dont get why people have been underestimating the Pistons.

They are deeper this year w/ Mo Evans, Delfino healthy and Darko finally going to get some minutes.

I think their D will still be there and their offense will look better under Flip, who's a better Offensive coach than Larry Brown.

hussker
11-01-2005, 11:46 PM
June = One Day Closer