PDA

View Full Version : How to convince Derrick White to become 6th man?

Gagnrath
09-25-2019, 07:46 AM
In many ways Derrick White has become an issue that most everyone would love to have. With the current roster it makes more sense to have Murray and Forbes start together (unless Murray developed a good reliable 3 pointer while injured)than White and Murray. Derrick can fill in for either of them and brings strong defense. He also has a good enough 3 that it can't be ignored but not enough accuracy that you really want to ask him to drastically increase the volume. Is there anyway to mold a young player looking for his first big nba contract to gracefully accept a role with big minutes but not start? Maybe we can have him become amazingly attached to Manu? Right now I hope all 4 of the young guards show strong for the year but upcoming contracts with 4 possibilities and 3 real spots start to mean in the near future tough choices will need made. (Walker is still a big ? In my mind as he didn't have enough time after serious injury to really get his feet under him and fully integrated.)

K...
09-25-2019, 07:51 AM
I beleive you really want to argue whether White should start over murray which is a stale topic until at least training camp. White didn't prove anything much in the world cup murray is still instagram champ.

As to how to get White to be six man i think it might go like this: Pop "here's the starters for tonight's game" with pop producing a list of said starters without Derrick white on the list

ZeusWillJudge
09-25-2019, 07:51 AM
How to convince Derrick White to become 6th man? (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281260&p=9931723)

Pop: Derrick - you're going to be coming off the bench.

Problem solved.

Gagnrath
09-25-2019, 07:55 AM
Meant more for long term happiness and not having contant turmoil and debate. Starting used to mean quite a bit in contract negotiations and endorsement opertunities.

SpursDynasty85
09-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Derrick is a team first guy and would probably accept a 6th man role if Pop asked him. Theoretically it does make sense but in the end which gaurds actually end up staying based on who the Spurs want and what they're market value isis still up in the air. Spurs have enough gaurds to go around where if White can build more chemistry and show he can stay aggressive in the starting lineup it makes sense to leave him there. Personally I want him playing more like a SG (becoming an outside threat) which would let him utilize his skills going to the basket. He will be more dominant because of it.

RD2191
09-25-2019, 08:11 AM
I see DJ as more of a 6th man, a Jamal Crawford type player.

SAGirl
09-25-2019, 08:23 AM
As to how to get White to be six man i think it might go like this: Pop "here's the starters for tonight's game" with pop producing a list of said starters without Derrick white on the list
You nailed it. Pop will simply assign whomever he thinks is best for the team and that will be that. After that, he makes adjustments during the season if the initial assignments aren't working out.

SAGirl
09-25-2019, 08:38 AM
Meant more for long term happiness and not having contant turmoil and debate. Starting used to mean quite a bit in contract negotiations and endorsement opertunities.
Not all 3 guards may stay in the team long term. It's just a reality.

This season hopefully someone will emerge as the definitive keeper and the other two may just look around when their time comes to be a RFA and be signed for more than they are worth elsewhere (according to spurstalk all recent Spurs who left for other teams got more than they should have gotten... IMO it's the price of doing business and there is a market for their services, but I hope you get the point.)

In the long run one or two of the young guards may be signed elsewhere. So, I find it better to just enjoy the team in current form and stop worrying about future years. I have learned this the hard way, I used to speculate a ton about who may stay and who might go and in the end, there has ended up being a fairly large turnover in young players drafted or signed undrafted and developed by the team who have later left for more $, or opportunities elsewhere. Some of them may be priced out of what the Spurs are willing to pay. If they were in roleplayer status they could easily be replaced too, so you don't want to overspend on roleplayers.

However, should the team find themselves with a couple of stars a la Tony and Manu, I believe they would do whatever they can to keep both guys. We still have to see if the team has a few young budding stars, or if they have some good players whose ceiling is roleplayer status, in which case a cost/benefit analysis applies. For the right price you keep them, they get too much elsewhere though and it's sayonara to them.

I hope this year we see these guys flourishing and get a better sense of where this is going. But it doesn't matter if you have a guy start or come off the bench, the quality of their play will definitely show wherever and other teams are watching. So when FA comes around, that is when we find out who is a keeper and who is not.

ismael-robert
09-25-2019, 08:51 AM
Used to...if he wants to start long term he needs to be best pt guard on team so as others said no debate until after pre season n we see if one is better than other

Genovaswitness
09-25-2019, 08:52 AM
he’s a beta cuckold as evidenced by the denver series. he’ll do anything pop tells him, especially after being gifted an olympics spot, even after embarrassing the country in the FIBA World Cup :lmao

Play Boban
09-25-2019, 09:03 AM
He cost the USA a gold. Trash.

cd021
09-25-2019, 09:55 AM
Murray and DDR would be the primary ball handlers in the starting lineup and Carroll and Forbes would be the high volume 3pt shooters and Aldridge as the interior scorer/ pick and pop big.

Bringing White off the bench best for the team and give him a chance to be the primary ball handler off the bench while still playing a lot of minutes (~26-28 per game) He could be a 6th man of the year candidate.

The ideal lineup would be;
Murray, Forbes, DDR, Carrol, Aldridge
Mills, White, Beli/Walker, Gay, Poeltl

Lineup Pop will probably play;
Murray, White, DDR, Carrol, LMA
Mills, Forbes, Beli/Walker, Gay, Poeltl.

KobesAchilles
09-25-2019, 10:07 AM
I think the best line up possible is:

PG: Mills.
SG:Forbes
SF: DDR
PF: Marco
C: LMA

LMA and DDR are both iso mid range shooters so it makes sense to surround them with 3 point snipers. Mills is a pesky defender and a savvy vet player who can more than hold up his own against opposing starting point guards. Forbes has clearly hit the weight room and has gotten much stronger so he should be able to guard most opposing 2 guards. Marco will more than make up for whatever he lacks defensively with his offense. And since DDR is an above average rebounder we shouldn’t lose out too much on the boards with him and Aldridge...

And maybe just maybe after seeing an entire bleeping season of how shitty the pairing of Mills and Marco are together, Pop will never play them together in the playoffs and cost us another series. But I can only hope.

Play Boban
09-25-2019, 10:47 AM
Considering he was gifted a national team slot by poop and played like straight trash, he better be willing to do whatever poop tells him to do, even if that's wiping Kawhitter's ass tbh.

DAF86
09-25-2019, 11:15 AM
You don't. You start him and have the guy coming off a season long injury come off the bench to watch his minutes. Besides, you say that it makes sense for Murray to play alongside Forbes, because of Bryn's shooting, playing with the bench Murray will have even more shooting around him with Mills, Belinelli and Gay.

DAF86
09-25-2019, 11:16 AM

LMA and DDR are both iso mid range shooters so it makes sense to surround them with 3 point snipers. Mills is a pesky defender and a savvy vet player who can more than hold up his own against opposing starting point guards. Forbes has clearly hit the weight room and has gotten much stronger so he should be able to guard most opposing 2 guards. Marco will more than make up for whatever he lacks defensively with his offense. And since DDR is an above average rebounder we shouldn’t lose out too much on the boards with him and Aldridge...

And maybe just maybe after seeing an entire bleeping season of how shitty the pairing of Mills and Marco are together, Pop will never play them together in the playoffs and cost us another series. But I can only hope.

Marco, asi in Marco Bellinelli? At PF? Starting? :lol

cjw
09-25-2019, 12:01 PM

I stopped reading at Marco. The poster realizes a lineup that has DDR/Beli as your second/third biggest guys combined with a midget backcourt will put up a DRtg of like 140. Will be run off court in a few minutes.

RD2191
09-25-2019, 12:03 PM

Mills and Marco starting? I see you're going for the tank. :tu

Yogatti
09-25-2019, 12:04 PM

:rollin

KobesAchilles
09-25-2019, 12:10 PM
It’s a necessary evil brah. Maybe after the first quarter of the season of us giving up 160 points a game Pop will realize just how stupid it is to have them on the court at the same time. And yeah I’m still salty about the Denver series :lol

KobesAchilles
09-25-2019, 12:14 PM
I stopped reading at Marco. The poster realizes a lineup that has DDR/Beli as your second/third biggest guys combined with a midget backcourt will put up a DRtg of like 140. Will be run off court in a few minutes.
But think of that bench unit though. DJ, DW, LW4,Gay, Poetl. It’s unstoppable. https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/clientscript/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/images/smilies/lobt2.gif

Larry O
09-25-2019, 12:16 PM
DW4, I believe, has the same attitude as Manu... White strikes me as a player who will do anything for the team, even if it means for him to come off the bench to win. White is a work in progress, & I believe that he needs to work on his scoring, primarily, his outside shooting/3 point scoring which this team sorely needs for the starting lineup, which hopefully Forbes will fill, barring his defensive liabilities, UGG! But White will be just fine for the 2nd unit. I can see this season's starting line-up of Murray, Forbes, DeRozan, Carroll & LMA. BUT, barring injuries, matchup situations and Pop's "mad scientist tinkering," I can see some "interesting lineups" as always, for this up and coming season. There's that old NBA saying: "it's not who starts the game, BUT who finishes the game that matters." :) GSG!!!

RC_Drunkford
09-25-2019, 01:32 PM
out of the 10 rotation Players only Murray, DeRozan and Poeltl can't shoot 3s. So it makes way more sense to bring Murray off the bench to only have one non-3-point threat from the perimeter in each line up instead of starting 2 together. That would hurt the spacing

Down Under
09-25-2019, 06:00 PM
It wastes his defense IMO. What about convincing DD to come off the bench...

baseline bum
09-25-2019, 06:05 PM
out of the 10 rotation Players only Murray, DeRozan and Poeltl can't shoot 3s. So it makes way more sense to bring Murray off the bench to only have one non-3-point threat from the perimeter in each line up instead of starting 2 together. That would hurt the spacing

Makes more sense to dump Derozan on anyone who offers something of the slightest value.

AussieFanKurt
09-25-2019, 06:26 PM
To me, Forbes comes off the bench. Start White and Dejounte together.

SpurPadre
09-25-2019, 06:28 PM
Easy.

Pop: Derrick, I need you to come off the bench like Manu did.

He can either take it like a man and thrive or he can be a bitch like Stephen Jackson and quit on the team.

That said, Forbes should not start under any circumstance with a healthy team and so I'd rather he start as our SG along with Murray at the one even though it would be better to have an actual SG start instead. I'd love that guy to be Lonnie but I'm not sure he's ready yet.

tbdog
09-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Does White have the scoring mentality to play in the second unit as the primary ball handler? He isn't an assertive player and kinda just picks his spots.

But then I am not a great fan of having Mills/Forbes/Beli as my second unit. That a defensive nightmare there.

Degoat
09-25-2019, 08:06 PM
I think most likely it’ll be

dejounte/White
bryn/patty
demar/Lonnie
carrol/Rudy
LA/Jakob

with guys like Trey lyles, belly, the rookies, metu playing end of the bench roles

Yogatti
09-25-2019, 08:07 PM
Easy.

Pop: Derrick, I need you to come off the bench like Manu did.

He can either take it like a man and thrive or he can be a bitch like Stephen Jackson and quit on the team.

Watch Derrick White demand a trade and Spurs have no good perimeter defense anymore after he's gone. That's funny because something similar happened 2 years ago....

Pavlov
09-25-2019, 08:17 PM
Watch Derrick White demand a trade and Spurs have no good perimeter defense anymore after he's gone. That's funny because something similar happened 2 years ago....Bad troll account tbh.

ZeusWillJudge
09-25-2019, 08:22 PM

Long term happiness and not having constant turmoil? :lol

Pop: Well, Derrick... that's why there's a team in Canada.

r0drig0lac
09-25-2019, 09:54 PM
cmon son, Pop dgaf about White's opnion

SpurPadre
09-25-2019, 10:33 PM
cmon son, Pop dgaf about White's opnion

He had no qualms benching his ass in a Game 7.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-26-2019, 12:54 AM
djm and white can start together but mills and forbes should be on the floor together in very very small doses

szkorhetz
09-26-2019, 03:05 AM
To me, Forbes comes off the bench. Start White and Dejounte together.

4lifecowboy
09-26-2019, 03:21 AM
I can almost guarantee Murray and White are not starting together. One is going to have to lead the second unit, and if I learned anything the Spurs like to have a stronger second unit than the completion.
Murray/White
Forbes/Mills
Demarr/Walker
Gay/Carroll
Aldridge/Jakob

dbestpro
09-26-2019, 06:08 AM
To me, Forbes comes off the bench. Start White and Dejounte together. I agree. Both can score and it is better to start off the tone of the game with defense then watch Forbes get lit up and see the Spurs down by 20. There will be plenty of times where Forbes can be brought in based off of matchups.

TDomination
09-26-2019, 07:43 AM
I agree. Both can score and it is better to start off the tone of the game with defense then watch Forbes get lit up and see the Spurs down by 20. There will be plenty of times where Forbes can be brought in based off of matchups.
Agreed. Especially to start the year out. See how they do together first.

wildbill2u
09-26-2019, 05:48 PM
We don't know at this point who would actually be better coming off the bench as 6th man. I believe the best way to finesse this situation is to have Manu come in as a consultant who can meet with whoever it is and give him the perspective of a world class player who came off the bench for his whole career to help the team win championships. Young guys want to start, but we have a logjam at guard. I'd rather see Forbes coming off the bench, but that is just my belief that you put the two best defensive players with some offensive chops on the court at the same time.

Then you have Walker 4 who has to go somewhere. What a curious position to be in this year.

AussieFanKurt
09-26-2019, 06:55 PM
I agree. Both can score and it is better to start off the tone of the game with defense then watch Forbes get lit up and see the Spurs down by 20. There will be plenty of times where Forbes can be brought in based off of matchups.

Even if Dejounte isn't as capable a scorer as Whitey, I take the above average defense from the two as you say to start the game. Forbes can come on to eat up minutes and get a bucket immediately if necessary

4lifecowboy
09-26-2019, 07:08 PM
I also believe it would be easier for White to handle ego wise.

KDKSpurs24
09-26-2019, 11:34 PM
The crazy thing is that this is only a question because we can’t play Bryn and Patty on the floor at the same time. The solution is to get rid of one of them and then White can start and have his minutes staggered with DJ but that’s not gonna happen.

BD24
09-26-2019, 11:44 PM
Jesus OP, you trying to give FkLA a heart attack?

DMC
09-26-2019, 11:53 PM
Long term happiness? White will be on the trading block soon. There's no long term happiness in the NBA anymore, not with one team. It comes from contracts now.

ZeusWillJudge
09-27-2019, 12:37 PM
djm and white can start together but mills and forbes should be on the floor together in very very small doses

Both Mills and Forbes need to be on the floor with a point guard - not each other.

spurraider21
09-27-2019, 12:59 PM

you guys are trolled quite easily tbh

K...
09-27-2019, 01:01 PM
When can I start the "how to convince DeMar DeroZan to be the sixth man" yet? We're headed to that topic soon, but don't want to jump the gun.

DAF86
09-27-2019, 01:08 PM
you guys are trolled quite easily tbh

I've been away from a while. I need to shake the rust off.

R. DeMurre
09-27-2019, 01:40 PM
If Pop puts White & Murray together in the preseason and it works spectacularly, why wouldn't he go for that option?
They've spent very few actual minutes together in real game situations... seems like that would be the first experiment to look at before sending either to the bench.

sasaint
09-27-2019, 07:34 PM
After I had a short discussion with a Spurs staffer this afternoon, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Forbes in the starting lineup to start the season. I asked the staffer how Dijounte was, and he said great. I asked if he expected Murray to be 100% by the All-Star break, and he tilted his head and gave me a kind of quizzical look and just said Murray looks great now. I said that was great news; many fans are excited to see Murray and White together. With no hesitation he said, ”Don’t forget about Forbes. He looks really good!”

GusT15
09-27-2019, 07:54 PM
After I had a short discussion with a Spurs staffer this afternoon, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Forbes in the starting lineup to start the season. I asked the staffer how Dijounte was, and he said great. I asked if he expected Murray to be 100% by the All-Star break, and he tilted his head and gave me a kind of quizzical look and just said Murray looks great now. I said that was great news; many fans are excited to see Murray and White together. With no hesitation he said, ”Don’t forget about Forbes. He looks really good!”

Pop is going to use Murray/Forbes and off the bench White/Mills isn't he?

I mean,it's expected in a way as the "safe" option (undersized SG that can shoot the 3 for both line ups and a good defensive guard to cover for the SG in the perimeter)...

The problem is that,just like last year,that guard rotation,when you add DDR's defense,has a low ceiling in the playoffs.

Only one thing can up this team's ceiling and that's if somehow LW4 breaks out as a two-way dynamo and patches up the holes.
(Which i can't see happening this year.Maybe in 2021)

C-Dub
09-28-2019, 12:16 PM
White game benefit's the bench unit the best than sitting behind the 3pt line in the starting unit which he would because you have 2 iso players in DDR and LMA plus DJM, who needs the ball in his hand to be most effective. The bench unit has more cutters and players that aren't iso but more movement which will fit great with White's game because he's a better floor general than DJM. Both DJM and White are better all around players than Mill and Forbes by far but will benefit the team best by not starting the games together but you best believe they both will finish the games together. It's not always about who starts but it is always 100% about who finishes.

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-28-2019, 02:44 PM

dejounte/White
bryn/patty
demar/Lonnie
carrol/Rudy
LA/Jakob

with guys like Trey lyles, belly, the rookies, metu playing end of the bench roles

This will most likely be how the season starts off or Pop will roll with the starters for most of last playoffs/season and adjust accordingly.

cd021
09-28-2019, 03:00 PM

dejounte/White
bryn/patty
demar/Lonnie
carrol/Rudy
LA/Jakob

White would be the shooting guard in that rotation because there is more minutes available behind Forbes than Murray though White would still be the primary ball handler in the second unit. See Forbes starting and playing around 20-22 minutes a game while White would play around 26 to 28 minutes a game.

Walker probably starts the season off behind Belinelli with Pop finding ways of giving him minutes in starting him in games Forbes, DeRozan, or Murray misses to get him minutes without having to bench Belinelli until after the All-Star break- if at all.

Belinelli fits better with second unit but Walker has the upside potential. Walker could still end up playing a lot of minutes this season without actually ever becoming a part of the rotation.

Namundy
09-28-2019, 03:01 PM
If we re-sign DeMar, the question is going to flip to how we convince him to become a sixth man soon.

FkLA
09-28-2019, 04:54 PM
White gets disrespected all the fucking time so sure why not, let's add his coach to the list of people disrespecting him too. :rolleyes

TD 21
09-28-2019, 06:04 PM
I don't think it'll take much convincing because he'll still likely play a similar role to last season, only leading the 2nd unit, he'll have stretches where he get's to be more of a focal point.

White game benefit's the bench unit the best than sitting behind the 3pt line in the starting unit which he would because you have 2 iso players in DDR and LMA plus DJM, who needs the ball in his hand to be most effective. The bench unit has more cutters and players that aren't iso but more movement which will fit great with White's game because he's a better floor general than DJM. Both DJM and White are better all around players than Mill and Forbes by far but will benefit the team best by not starting the games together but you best believe they both will finish the games together. It's not always about who starts but it is always 100% about who finishes.

The same reason they probably can't start together is the same reason they probably can't close together. That's the problem with this roster, their projected 5 best players are probably untenable together, which means squeezing specialists into roles they have no business being in and constant mixing/matching to adjust to the opposition.

White gets disrespected all the fucking time so sure why not, let's add his coach to the list of people disrespecting him too. :rolleyes

You'd think a Spurs fan of all people would know not starting is not disrespectful. If and when he comes off the bench, it'll be because it's best for the team. He'll still probably average mid-high 20s minutes and generally close.

sasaint
09-28-2019, 08:14 PM
The same reason they probably can't start together is the same reason they probably can't close together. That's the problem with this roster, their projected 5 best players are probably untenable together, which means squeezing specialists into roles they have no business being in and constant mixing/matching to adjust to the opposition.

Yep. Plus we have too many young guys in the backcourt to hold on to in a year or two, especially if PATFO decides to re-sign Dumbmar. I expect the pecking order will get sorted out this season, and then PATFO will make a move for a real SF.

weeks
09-28-2019, 08:22 PM
You'd think a Spurs fan of all people would know not starting is not disrespectful. If and when he comes off the bench, it'll be because it's best for the team. He'll still probably average mid-high 20s minutes and generally close.

c'mon you know FkLa

he still hates Parker coz Manu didn't start.

Millennial_Messiah
09-28-2019, 08:24 PM
Teach him to start shooting three pointers, shooting with his left hand, and throwing passes between the other team's legs.

sasaint
09-28-2019, 08:36 PM
Pop is going to use Murray/Forbes and off the bench White/Mills isn't he?

I mean,it's expected in a way as the "safe" option (undersized SG that can shoot the 3 for both line ups and a good defensive guard to cover for the SG in the perimeter)...

The problem is that,just like last year,that guard rotation,when you add DDR's defense,has a low ceiling in the playoffs.

Only one thing can up this team's ceiling and that's if somehow LW4 breaks out as a two-way dynamo and patches up the holes.
(Which i can't see happening this year.Maybe in 2021)

I suspect that Forbes will start at SG. I think the question mark is PG. I personally prefer White because I think he is a truer PG. Plus, I think I like the White/Forbes and Dijon/Mills combos better than the Dijon/Forbes and White/Mills combos.

If Pop starts Dijon/Forbes, I expect White to sub in for Forbes at SG to play alongside Dijon and get some looks without the ball and hopefully get his 3-ball off to a good start. Then, after a few minutes, Mills would sub in for Murray, and White would move over to PG.

exstatic
09-29-2019, 08:14 AM
I can almost guarantee Murray and White are not starting together. One is going to have to lead the second unit, and if I learned anything the Spurs like to have a stronger second unit than the completion.
Murray/White
Forbes/Mills
Demarr/Walker
Gay/Carroll
Aldridge/Jakob

Call it the Pistons plan. They started 2 PGs, Isaiah and Dumars, and one of them would go to the bench when Vinnie J entered the game for scoring. Dumars could score or distribute, so you always had a PG on the floor, in spite of the fact that you started two of them.

Amuseddaysleeper
09-30-2019, 12:15 AM
I can’t believe we sign trash like Carrol

tbdog
09-30-2019, 05:10 AM
Carrol will be good for us. He is a rotational, playoff worthy player. And plays a position we desperately needed.

monty4329
09-30-2019, 07:15 AM
We haven't yet seen Murray. We don't even know how many minutes he can play.

Ideally, on the floor I'd like to see White/Patty and Murray/Forbes

Larry O
09-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Yeah, with the combinations of Murray/Forbs (starting) & White/Mills (2nd unit) will give the team both defense and scoring in the back court, which I'm sure is what this team will do anyways in this case.

SAGirl
09-30-2019, 11:51 AM

Definitely sounds like Forbes is cementing his role. I haven't been a fan of his bc Pop over-relied on him a ton, but he is probably the team's best shooter and has come a long way in gaining confidence. The team's stars need spacing and I prefer him to Marco and Mills. Plus, I suspect Trey Lyles is not as good of a shooter anyways and will struggle with inconsistent play.

Without reading too much into the Dejounte comment, I'd guess DJ looks healthy and in terrific shape (no leaps of faith required, he has looked great in his videos). I imagine he is probably playing as well as he was prior to the injury, which is great news, but it doesn't tell us anything about any leaps with his shooting for example, and if there are any, they are likely to be moderate, not in the level required for someone to space the floor for Derozan and LMA.

Thanks for the info.

I suspect some fans here are going to balk when Bryn gets paid next summer. So much noise has been made about Dejounte and White and everyone forgets Bryn is also due to get paid. I do think not all these guys will stay in the team beyond the next season or two, but I have said that b4.

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Definitely sounds like Forbes is cementing his role. I haven't been a fan of his bc Pop over-relied on him a ton, but he is probably the team's best shooter and has come a long way in gaining confidence. The team's stars need spacing and I prefer him to Marco and Mills. Plus, I suspect Trey Lyles is not as good of a shooter anyways and will struggle with inconsistent play.

Without reading too much into the Dejounte comment, I'd guess DJ looks healthy and in terrific shape (no leaps of faith required, he has looked great in his videos). I imagine he is probably playing as well as he was prior to the injury, which is great news, but it doesn't tell us anything about any leaps with his shooting for example, and if there are any, they are likely to be moderate, not in the level required for someone to space the floor for Derozan and LMA.

Thanks for the info.

I suspect some fans here are going to balk when Bryn gets paid next summer. So much noise has been made about Dejounte and White and everyone forgets Bryn is also due to get paid. I do think not all these guys will stay in the team beyond the next season or two, but I have said that b4.

I agree on Forbes also getting a nice pay day next season and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s with the Spurs. I know it’s gonna piss a lot of people off on here but I can see it in the making unless he totally shits the bed this season.

Hopefully Walker proves his summer league play was only a precursor of what’s to come this season and earns a decent amount of playing time

sasaint
09-30-2019, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the info.

Whenever I have those encounters with Spurs staffers, I try not to pump them for info; I just accept the nugget or two they volunteer. And I am hesitant to post much here. But I thought his volunteering the info about Bryn without any prior mention of his name was pretty significant.

I am really torn. I sort of expect Bryn to take Patty’s spot on the roster, but it is hard for me to imagine Pop’s moving Patty. I do not expect one or (possibly) two of our young guys to be here long-term. But how Pop clears out the log-jam in the backcourt is a conundrum. I have no idea how Pop will resolve it. I would like to believe Dumbmar, Patty and Marco will be moved after this season. I think that would allow us to keep all of the young guys together for at least another season before hard decisions would need to be made. (I do believe Pop will pay Bryn if he continues to play as well as he did at the end of last season.) That scenario only bothers me because I would like for us to move those three and acquire a legit SF sooner than the end of next season.

RC_Drunkford
10-01-2019, 05:59 AM
Call it the Pistons plan. They started 2 PGs, Isaiah and Dumars, and one of them would go to the bench when Vinnie J entered the game for scoring. Dumars could score or distribute, so you always had a PG on the floor, in spite of the fact that you started two of them.

did they also have an overrated midget on the bench who could neither score nor defend but got paid 50 Million?

tbdog
10-01-2019, 06:21 AM
That midget tore Team USA up.

sananspursfan21
10-01-2019, 06:30 AM
How do we know it would take any ‘convincing’? Why do we always assume these guys’ egos? You guys did the same for Tony Parker and he really didn’t have a problem playing second fiddle when the time came. Has anyone talked to Derrick White about this? Did anyone get his thoughts?

FkLA
10-01-2019, 08:26 AM

And shot 20% from the field, 10% from 3 against Denver.

RC_Drunkford
10-01-2019, 10:34 AM

so did Evan Fournier. Does that make him a good NBA Player?

tbdog
10-01-2019, 03:55 PM
so did Evan Fournier. Does that make him a good NBA Player?

Fournier in our system, hell yeah.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-01-2019, 07:43 PM
nbastreama reddit launched a discord server before the reddit shutdown. we’ll see if it has good stream links when season starts

azarel
10-01-2019, 09:11 PM
nbastreama reddit launched a discord server before the reddit shutdown. we’ll see if it has good stream links when season starts

mind sharing the discord link? thanks!!!

AussieFanKurt
10-03-2019, 11:36 PM
While it's not confirmed that Murray and White will occupy the starting backcourt together, signs are pointing in that direction. White had a better-than-expected 2018-19 campaign following Murray's torn ACL, and Murray was looking like a potential breakout player before the injury. If both players end up starting, Bryn Forbes would likely be pushed to the bench.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/spurs-dejounte-murray-running-with-starters-in-practice/

Pavlov
10-04-2019, 01:03 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/spurs-dejounte-murray-running-with-starters-in-practice/

That's a disaster unless one of them can shoot like Bryn all the sudden.

AussieFanKurt
10-04-2019, 03:09 AM
That's a disaster unless one of them can shoot like Bryn all the sudden.

Disaster is a little over the top, don't you think?

cd021
10-04-2019, 04:34 AM
Disaster is a little over the top, don't you think?
I don't think Murray-White-DeRozan is a great starting unit because of the shooting concerns. Both Nate Duncan and Zach Lowe mentioned that they don't believe that Murray will shoot a lot of 3s this season (like Parker in 2006-2007).

White will probably a low to mid volume 3 pt shooter and hasn't shot the ball that well from 3 in the NBA thus far. DDR probably won't shoot them. Add in Carroll and Aldridge and Carroll is probably the best shooter of that possible starting lineup.

Starting Forbes gives the SL a great shooter= him and Carroll are both high volume shooters who'll space the floor around DDR and Murray, as the primary ball handlers, and Aldridge as the pick and pop or post threat.

KDKSpurs24
10-04-2019, 12:29 PM
[/FONT][/COLOR]https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/spurs-dejounte-murray-running-with-starters-in-practice/
I do NOT want to see Bryn and Patty on the court at the same time. That’s the only reason I want Derrick to be 6th man. If we only had 1 of those 2 then I would want Derrick starting for sure.

TD 21
10-04-2019, 04:35 PM
[/FONT][/COLOR]https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/spurs-dejounte-murray-running-with-starters-in-practice/

I'm surprised. I guess they just feel like, might as well try it early and if/when it fails, adjust then. I've also heard rumblings of Poeltl starting (matchup dependant) too, which makes no sense at all.

If that's the case, they'll be lucky to break double digits with any regularity by the time they get to the under 6 timeout in the 1st/3rd quarters and start rotating. Sure, they'll be stout defensively, but this is an offensive league now.

This lineup would also require serious rotational gymnastics to play sensible lineups throughout and get everyone in their projected range of minutes.

spurraider21
10-04-2019, 06:23 PM
I can’t believe we sign trash like Carrol
he's not a big difference maker, but we needed a wing defender.