PDA

View Full Version : Lonnie Walker IV announces Spurs extend his deal

ducks
10-02-2019, 11:43 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/lonnie-walker-iv-announces-spurs-extend-his-deal?fbclid=IwAR1QclToWYsgW0ifeMIYWVn6pBE33IEig-04axEUFSqjAwyJUFUmhvOyJd4

exstatic
10-03-2019, 05:41 AM
Not an extension, just a normal option picked up.

barakz21
10-03-2019, 06:01 AM
So I don’t really know much about rookies getting their options picked up, but usually, don’t teams pick up rookie options during the 3rd year then do extensions either before or during the last year of the contract?

Harry Callahan
10-03-2019, 06:49 AM
So I don’t really know much about rookies getting their options picked up, but usually, don’t teams pick up rookie options during the 3rd year then do extensions either before or during the last year of the contract?

As far as I know, the answer to that is yes. Not after a single season.

Harry Callahan
10-03-2019, 06:52 AM
The other thing, though. Did he sign a three year deal with an option, or a two year deal with an option. I guess that would explain it.

Chinook
10-03-2019, 07:22 AM

Rookie-scale deals have options for the third and fourth seasons. These are picked up before the end of October in the second and third seasons, respectively. The Spurs aren't doing anything weird here. They had to pick up Lonnie's third-year option now. They'll be doing the same thing with Samanic and Johnson next year, along with Walker's fourth-year option.

exstatic
10-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Not an extension, just a normal option picked up.

wildbill2u
10-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Just as long as we keep him to see if he is as good as we think he might be. It appears that he has a great relationship with the team so far, has great character, and excellent physical skills. We seem to be cornering the market on guards with those characteristics.

ZeusWillJudge
10-03-2019, 01:19 PM
We're talking about first round picks. Those rookie contracts are a good way to keep talent for cheap. Pretty good rule of thumb is that a player who doesn't get his rookie option picked is a marginal NBA player - at least at that point in his career.

Picking up Lonnie Walker's was never in doubt.

barakz21
10-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Rookie-scale deals have options for the third and fourth seasons. These are picked up before the end of October in the second and third seasons, respectively. The Spurs aren't doing anything weird here. They had to pick up Lonnie's third-year option now. They'll be doing the same thing with Samanic and Johnson next year, along with Walker's fourth-year option.

Gotcha. I’m probably just not paying attention? For some reason it feels like the spurs(and the rest of the NBA) pick up rookie options RIGHT before the start of the third season, but I don’t ever recall anyone picking up rookie options before even the start of the second season(again, I’m probably just not paying attention). But yeah, thanks for clearing that up.

barakz21
10-03-2019, 03:52 PM

Gotcha, thanks

Floyd Pacquiao
10-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Cant wait to watch Pop give mills and belinelli all his minutes

Pavlov
10-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Gotcha. I’m probably just not paying attention? For some reason it feels like the spurs(and the rest of the NBA) pick up rookie options RIGHT before the start of the third season, but I don’t ever recall anyone picking up rookie options before even the start of the second season(again, I’m probably just not paying attention). But yeah, thanks for clearing that up.It's a relatively new rule.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
10-03-2019, 05:50 PM
Just as long as we keep him to see if he is as good as we think he might be. It appears that he has a great relationship with the team so far, has great character, and excellent physical skills. We seem to be cornering the market on guards with those characteristics.If he's as good as I think he will be than he will be Gary Neal with out Neal's defense.

Spurtacular
10-03-2019, 05:59 PM
If he's as good as I think he will be than he will be Gary Neal with out Neal's defense.

High praise.

Keepin' it real
10-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Biggest off-season news in the entire NBA!

ZeusWillJudge
10-03-2019, 08:35 PM

Missed your point. You're just talking about them picking up his third year option after his first season? I can't remember when that started, but the Knicks exercised Kristaps' third year option after his rookie season, so it goes back to at least 2016.

Chinook
10-03-2019, 09:17 PM
Missed your point. You're just talking about them picking up his third year option after his first season? I can't remember when that started, but the Knicks exercised Kristaps' third year option after his rookie season, so it goes back to at least 2016.

Yeah, it's way older than that. Someone suggested it's a recent change. According to RealGM, it started in the 05-06 season. Literally Tim's was the last class that didn't have four-year deals, though between 99 and 2005, they had 3-plus-1 rather than 2-plus-2.

SpurPadre
10-03-2019, 09:43 PM
If he's as good as I think he will be than he will be Gary Neal with out Neal's defense.

Anybody else in the NBA can defend guys without shoes so the barometer has to be better than that, tbh.

ZeusWillJudge
10-03-2019, 10:10 PM
Yeah, it's way older than that. Someone suggested it's a recent change. According to RealGM, it started in the 05-06 season. Literally Tim's was the last class that didn't have four-year deals, though between 99 and 2005, they had 3-plus-1 rather than 2-plus-2.

Really... 05-06? I picked the Kristaps example because I figured it was far enough back not to be recent. But I wouldn't have gone back to 05-06. Those rookie deals around then were guaranteed 3 years with a team option for the 4th. I don't know why I remember the Lakers picking up Farmar's 4th year option after his second season, and that was right about that time.

Anyway, the Spurs exercising on LWIV was pretty much a lock, as long as they believe he's healthy. If that announcement says anything, it's that they don't have any big doubts about where he is physically.

barakz21
10-03-2019, 10:37 PM

Yup. I just don’t remember teams picking up team options BEFORE a rookie’s third season. Then again, probably I wasn’t just playing attention.. Because obviously, I wouldn’t have remembered what you said about Porzingis if I was lol

ducks
10-03-2019, 10:51 PM
Biggest off-season news in the entire NBA!

Biggest would be pop gone����

Roscoe P. Coltrane
10-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Anybody else in the NBA can defend guys without shoes so the barometer has to be better than that, tbh. Actually that's my point. That's how bad his defense is.

Ice009
10-05-2019, 01:46 AM
Actually that's my point. That's how bad his defense is.

You think Lonnie's defense is that bad? Is that based on the limited minutes you've/we've seen him play, or are you saying you don't think he'll ever be a good/great defender?

GAustex
10-05-2019, 01:11 PM
You think Lonnie's defense is that bad? Is that based on the limited minutes you've/we've seen him play, or are you saying you don't think he'll ever be a good/great defender?
When I watched him with the main squad he was often out of position and was easily rubbed off on off ball screens.
He needs to be more aware of the situation.

He has the tools to be a defender but has yet to show it.