PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Magic - Oct. 5, 2019

timvp
10-06-2019, 12:54 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-orlando-magic-preseason/

tl;dr: Forbes and Murray showed some promise. Everyone else? Not so much.

apalisoc_9
10-06-2019, 01:07 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-orlando-magic-preseason/

tl;dr: Forbes and Murray showed some promise. Everyone else? Not so much.

I love your dedication. I fell asleep after the 3rd quarter.

spurs10
10-06-2019, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the grades! Good to hear Forbes is playing with confidence.

Coach X
10-06-2019, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the grades. I hope the web/blog project is working well for you. The time you have put in this forum needed to be rewarded somehow, hopefully the new site helps.

In absence of stream video, grades are specially helpful. May I ask you about which position played Samanic? Crossing fingers for a different answer than “he played as center”.

Just in in case you have time, another question: how did DJ played the pick&roll? I assume his defense went under the screen...

spurspl
10-06-2019, 05:58 AM
sPuRs ArE cOnTeNdEr

Dejounte
10-06-2019, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the grades. I hope the web/blog project is working well for you. The time you have put in this forum needed to be rewarded somehow, hopefully the new site helps.

In absence of stream video, grades are specially helpful. May I ask you about which position played Samanic? Crossing fingers for a different answer than “he played as center”.

Just in in case you have time, another question: how did DJ played the pick&roll? I assume his defense went under the screen...

When Samanic came in, there were no other guards with him in the lineup aside from Keldon if you count him as a guard. It was a wacky lineup at the end. If i were to choose, he looked like the PF out there. When he switched onto a guard on defense, he looked good.

acoelho1
10-06-2019, 07:07 AM
For Murray’s first game back, he should get an A+. He looked lightening quick with the ball and shot his jumper with a lot more confidence. This is going to be a big year for him.

JeffDuncan
10-06-2019, 07:40 AM
It's back, yay! Thanks, timvp, it's been a long, slow summer. Nice to see DJM moving well.

RC_Drunkford
10-06-2019, 08:01 AM
is there no full game replay available? Didn't catch the first half. Weatherspoon will be a nice bench player next season

EasyMoney
10-06-2019, 08:06 AM
is there no full game replay available? Didn't catch the first half. Weatherspoon will be a nice bench player next season

Only one I've found but it's not even full game. Just a 2 minute recap.

https://youtu.be/AEXQp5d4kjM

exstatic
10-06-2019, 08:15 AM

For a full game replay, there would have had to be a Broadcast, and neither team did so.

ZeusWillJudge
10-06-2019, 08:46 AM
For a full game replay, there would have had to be a Broadcast, and neither team did so.

For a full game replay there would have to have been a game. TBH, FWIW, AFAIC

Coach X
10-06-2019, 09:31 AM
When Samanic came in, there were no other guards with him in the lineup aside from Keldon if you count him as a guard. It was a wacky lineup at the end. If i were to choose, he looked like the PF out there. When he switched onto a guard on defense, he looked good.
Thank you

Samanic looks absolutely versatile in both offense and defense. I think he should be a forward, 3-4 position in current basketball. Like Davis Bertans. It was frustrating to me to watch Bertans playing PF (even some minutes as C in his first season) and I'm scared of PATFO making the same mistake again.
Could you say who was playing C when Samanic was on the court?

r0drig0lac
10-06-2019, 09:53 AM
Thank you

Samanic looks absolutely versatile in both offense and defense. I think he should be a forward, 3-4 position in current basketball. Like Davis Bertans. It was frustrating to me to watch Bertans playing PF (even some minutes as C in his first season) and I'm scared of PATFO making the same mistake again.

Eubanks

Dejounte
10-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Thank you

Eubanks. Samanic looks way more versatile than Bertans and has shown flashes that he can bang down low which Bertans never did.

Genovaswitness
10-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Eubanks. Samanic looks way more versatile than Bertans and has shown flashes that he can bang down low which Bertans never did.

B-but we need him instead of lyles :lmao

Coach X
10-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Samanic is really talented, it all depends on his adaptation to the US and the NBA world and being able of climbing the first steps of the ladder. I have high expectations of him.

Eubanks should steal some minutes at the C just thanks to his intensity. Johnson seems to be D-League material yet but he looks to be one season away from becoming a useful player.

In the World Cup, Metu looked much more polished skills wise but he still needs to improve a lot his decission making and learn the collective fundamentals of defense and ofense. He needs to learn fast or the competition at his position will pull him out of the team.

I don't believe Weatherspoon has a high ceiling but I didn't either Forbes had it and there he is starting in a playoff team. It's good for our real projects (Murray, White, Walker) that other young guards are working hard and playing well. Healthy competition pushes progression.

I like the end of our 15 players roster much more than what we had last season. They can put more pressure on the real rotation players wich is important as that pressure escalates until the top of the pyramide. Championship teams (2014 Spurs i.e.) usually have that perfect roster construction, position by position, from the towell wavers to the closing unit.

Spurs Homer
10-06-2019, 01:04 PM
They lost!

Cue the ...

TRADE threads!!!

for various garbage players on the refuse bin!

Collins21
10-06-2019, 01:26 PM
They lost!

Cue the ...

TRADE threads!!!

for various garbage players on the refuse bin!

Especially the gem of trading DeMar to Charlotte for Nicolas Fucking Batum!!

Roscoe P. Coltrane
10-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Gay is done. Carroll and Lyles are going to see a lot of minutes this year.

Jsmythe
10-06-2019, 10:37 PM

Here is a 9 minute highlight video:

https://youtu.be/oyPx61FkUMo

ZeusWillJudge
10-07-2019, 10:37 PM
Well I hope I'm not eating crow about Keldon Johnson for the rest of his time here. (Odin has a pair of them that sit on his shoulders, and they always looed stringy as hell.) There's no way he's taking minutes with that kind of performance. He's not a speed demon, but I thought he had better defensive instincts that would carry him. Maybe it was just jitters, but he was disappointing.

Not as disappointing as Derrick White. He should have come out brimming with confidence and ready to prove something. I know it was a preseason game, but it was preseason for both teams.