PDA

View Full Version : US tax rates- "The Rich Really Do Pay Lower Taxes Than You"

diego
10-08-2019, 05:45 PM
sorry to pull a link dump but i have to go out but didnt want to forget to share this article I just read

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/06/opinion/income-tax-rate-wealthy.html

ill come back to comment tomorrow!

CosmicCowboy
10-08-2019, 06:02 PM
I'm pushing as much income into this year and next year as I possibly can. I'm anticipating big tax increases after 2020.

Winehole23
10-08-2019, 06:34 PM
You're not the rich people under discussion here, CC.

Winehole23
10-08-2019, 06:36 PM
Gilded age good again.

There is such a thing as a free lunch for the 0.1%.

CosmicCowboy
10-08-2019, 06:41 PM

Everybody that already pays taxes their taxes are going up to pay for all the free shit.

Winehole23
10-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Everybody that already pays taxes their taxes are going up to pay for all the free shit.It's not free. Bernie is crystal clear about that.

Are you not familiar with how social welfare works? Taxes are laid to pay for it.

CosmicCowboy
10-08-2019, 06:46 PM
It's not free. Bernie is crystal clear about that.

Are you not familiar with how social welfare works? Taxes are laid to pay for it.

Yep. That's why I'm pushing income into 19 and 20.

CosmicCowboy
10-08-2019, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure the loonies will be running things in washington after 2020.

Winehole23
10-08-2019, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the loonies will be running things in washington after 2020.lol like it's not a loony bin now

CosmicCowboy
10-08-2019, 08:24 PM
lol like it's not a loony bin now

Trump sucks donkey dicks but swapping him for Warren with the house and maybe senate goes from bad to worse.

ElNono
10-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Why does OP hate 'murica tho?

DMC
10-08-2019, 10:07 PM
Yeah must suck to be rich they are such bad people.

RandomGuy
10-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Trump sucks donkey dicks but swapping him for Warren with the house and maybe senate goes from bad to worse.

So the rich paying their fair share is "worse".

We should all keep the gimmies for the rich so they can horde more money than a human being could ever use or need.

The hyperwealthy steal value and money from those under them, and you are happy to go along. smh

CosmicCowboy
10-11-2019, 01:25 PM
So the rich paying their fair share is "worse".

We should all keep the gimmies for the rich so they can horde more money than a human being could ever use or need.

The hyperwealthy steal value and money from those under them, and you are happy to go along. smh

You must be "rich" too. I guarantee if Warren gets even half of what she wants the taxes will have to go up on everyone that pays taxes.

RandomGuy
10-11-2019, 04:36 PM
You must be "rich" too. I guarantee if Warren gets even half of what she wants the taxes will have to go up on everyone that pays taxes.

I would be happy to pay more in taxes, if I can get single payor, and ditch my current insurer. Paying 40% of every premium dollar for overhead and profit is expensive.

Making the large corporations pay their share, as well as the hyperwealthy will go a LONG way towards getting the country on the right track.

CosmicCowboy
10-11-2019, 06:19 PM
I would be happy to pay more in taxes, if I can get single payor, and ditch my current insurer. Paying 40% of every premium dollar for overhead and profit is expensive.

Making the large corporations pay their share, as well as the hyperwealthy will go a LONG way towards getting the country on the right track.

I deal with the US government on a daily basis. Either directly with military employees or contractors they hire to "run things" for them. I have ZERO faith the US government can run health care more efficiently than humana or blue cross etc.

CosmicCowboy
10-11-2019, 06:23 PM

So you think you are voting your self interest by voting for single payer just to save money? Pot, meet Kettle.

RandomGuy
10-29-2019, 01:20 PM
So you think you are voting your self interest by voting for single payer just to save money? Pot, meet Kettle.

That isn't quite a coherent thought

Yes, single payor is in everyone's best interest. Even the hyperwealthy would end up benefiting.

I would though, be not in the interest of large health insurors.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-29-2019, 01:28 PM
I deal with the US government on a daily basis. Either directly with military employees or contractors they hire to "run things" for them. I have ZERO faith the US government can run health care more efficiently than humana or blue cross etc.

medicare and medicaid are already more efficient.

SnakeBoy
10-29-2019, 01:35 PM

That's not true

spurraider21
10-29-2019, 02:48 PM
man, thats probably the worst thing you can say to him :lol

boutons_deux
10-29-2019, 02:53 PM
That's not true

why?

Nbadan
10-29-2019, 03:08 PM

true....but a single payer system is the goal. Democrats will lose voters by forcing people to give up their private insurance, so they will have to compromise on a medicare for those who need it plan favored by Buttegiege and Biden

boutons_deux
10-29-2019, 03:15 PM
Medicare for all is paid for by deductions from all INCOME, not only from earned income.

spurraider21
11-08-2019, 01:32 AM
:lmao

https://elizabethwarren.com/calculator/ultra-millionaire-tax?source=soc-WB-ew-tw

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2019, 10:39 AM

How are they more efficient?

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2019, 10:43 AM
I know most of my doctors only accept medicare if it is an existing patient that has aged into it. They wont accept new medicare patients.

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2019, 10:48 AM
I would support a nationwide network of free clinics to take care of all routine medical needs. Trade doctors and PAs free education and stipend to work the clinics at living wage for ten years. Similar to military scholarships.

pgardn
11-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Yeah must suck to be rich they are such bad people.

Yeah the ones who can pay for fancy accounting and have offshore money are so much better than poor people who scam welfare.

pgardn
11-09-2019, 11:08 AM
One huge problem with health insurance is that it should have been made for catastrophic costs, long or short term.

Well that is very difficult now because a fairly simple procedure is now a catastrophic cost for more people with the ongoing wealth disparities continuing to worsen.
Clinics are good places for a quick fix, but visiting a clinic for a recurring aching wrist with a fracture difficult to identify, good luck at the clinic. There are many more examples of little things that are actually big things that just get worse. The clinic wants to see you again when They should be sending you to a place that can actually detect the real problem. That MRI and X-ray will cost. And if you have to get put under, good luck with paying the anesthesiologist back.

Stiches needed, antibiotic for a cold turned secondary, not a big deal, clinics are great.

Winehole23
11-09-2019, 12:00 PM
How are they more efficient?Lower administrative costs, by a lot.

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Lower administrative costs, by a lot.

Would be willing to accept that if you could back up your claim. What is office, payroll, pension cost etc. For administering medicare?

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2019, 12:44 PM
The NYT has a good article explaining why medicare costs in medicare for all would be a higher percentage than medicare claims now. Might still be slightly lower than existing insurance but with a tradeoff of highest quality care.

Winehole23
11-09-2019, 01:14 PM
Subject to controversy and overstatement, of course, but Kaiser isn't known as an partisan outlet.

https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/the-facts-on-medicare-spending-and-financing/

DMC
11-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Yeah the ones who can pay for fancy accounting and have offshore money are so much better than poor people who scam welfare.

Which would you rather be?

Exactly.

pgardn
11-09-2019, 08:16 PM
Which would you rather be?

Exactly.

Im sure my answer will enhance the discussion at hand.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-09-2019, 09:35 PM
That's not true

So how is it that all of the rest of the developed world pays half as much or less per capita on health care? Are Americans just doomed to costing more for the same services?

FuzzyLumpkins
11-09-2019, 09:41 PM
How are they more efficient?

Than free market?

Lower administrative costs, lack of a profit motive to keep costs as high as possible, and the ability to negotiate with providers on behalf of consumers as a single entity.

Then of course there is the rest of the civilized world and their per capita health care spending as opposed to ours. Health care has a vertical demand slope. They can charge whatever they want and you see consumers bankrupting themselves systemically to maintain their life and health.