PDA

View Full Version : Kerr: New Season New Rankings

Spurzilla
11-01-2005, 03:17 PM
New season, new rankings

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
November 1, 2005

After enduring countless email taunts, threats and insults from readers last season regarding my High Five, Low Five rankings, I've decided to lay it all on the line this season. I will rank all 30 teams every week, from top to bottom. I'm hoping this will appease many of you who constantly inquire as to where your favorite team stands in the league's hierarchy. Of course, I'm well aware that I am simply inviting each and every one of you to take shots at me on a weekly basis. But that's fine – I don't mind. So bring it on – call me an idiot, a fool or a moron. But just remember: The writer always has the last word. On to the new and improved rankings …

1. San Antonio Spurs – They're the champs, so they start at the top.

2. Miami Heat – Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade are healthy. Will the new additions adjust to complementary roles?

3. Indiana Pacers – They are talented enough, but are they mature enough?

4. Detroit Pistons – Everyone is back but Larry Brown. How long will it take to adjust to Flip Saunders?

5. Houston Rockets – Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady now have a year under their belts together. Look out.

6. Denver Nuggets – The Nuggets are deep and talented. Can Earl Watson fit into a crowded, small backcourt?

7. Cleveland Cavaliers – LeBron James has some shooters around him, and that should mean more room for him to operate.

8. Phoenix Suns – No Amare Stoudemire, little room for error. The Suns will run and gun but without an inside game to go with it.

9. New Jersey Nets – They have an exciting perimeter threesome and a couple of nice inside players. But do the Nets have a bench?

10. Dallas Mavericks – Doug Christie's arrival signals the beginning of a more defensive mindset for the Mavericks.

11. Sacramento Kings – Can it be possible that Mike Bibby has never made an All-Star team?

12. Chicago Bulls – The Bulls compete as hard as any team in the NBA.

13. Los Angeles Lakers – Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson need each other, and each seems to understand that fact.

14. Philadelphia 76ers – Can Chris Webber fit into a young, defensive-minded unit?

15. Utah Jazz – If the Jazz can stay healthy, they'll be tough to beat – especially at the Delta Center.

16. New York Knicks – Larry will make them better – he makes everyone better.

17. Golden State Warriors – The Warriors are suddenly a hot ticket in the Bay Area.

18. Memphis Grizzlies – Mike Fratello gets a full season with his squad.

19. Seattle SuperSonics – One of the best offensive rebounding teams in the league.

20. Minnesota Timberwolves – Does Kevin Garnett have enough help?

21. Milwaukee Bucks – T.J. Ford is back. He'll rev up the Bucks' offense.

22. Washington Wizards – Can Antonio Daniels and Caron Butler replace Larry Hughes?

23. Los Angeles Clippers – Shawn Livingston is hurt. How much does Sam Cassell have left in the tank?

24. Boston Celtics – The plan is for the future. When will it arrive?

25. Atlanta Hawks – The Hawks are accumulating some talent.

26. Portland Trail Blazers – How will Zach Randolph bounce back from knee surgery?

27. Toronto Raptors – The two rookies – Charlie Villanueva and Joey Graham – looked good in the preseason.

28. Orlando Magic – Grant Hill is out, leaving a leadership void.

29. New Orleans Hornets – How good will Chris Paul be?

30. Charlotte Bobcats – Youth movements require patience.