PDA

View Full Version : Does Derozan make the Spurs better or worse?

Dennis the Menace
10-16-2019, 10:41 PM
With the ascension of the future core of Murray (give him the contract already RC/Wright), White, Walker and the salary gymnastics of keeping all 3 for the long term - does having Derozan on the team make them a better?

I think its its a difficult debate because Derozan’s usage rate impedes the growth and development of the New Big 3. But we can’t for certain say that Walker and White are ready to replace Derozan’s usage rate right now.

My thoughts - you sign Derozan to a multi year contract that is appealing to tradeable teams. You have Derozan on the Spurs for just this one year to allow White & Walker to develop and gel. Then trade him this offseason as White & Walker should be ready to fill that usage rate. Then Spurs can get whatever holes they have remaining to fill with the trade to have a stacked team next season.

Thoughts on the best strategy? The Spurs can go a number of different ways here. I think it all depends on White & Walker’s readiness.

Big P
10-16-2019, 10:49 PM
Best strategy? Let him walk..do not sign him to an extension...use the money to get better players.

Millennial_Messiah
10-16-2019, 10:50 PM
does terrorism make the world better or worse? that is the question

SAGirl
10-16-2019, 10:53 PM
I’d trade him right now tbh. Get a placeholder forward who can shoot the 3 for a season. Then figure out something more permanent next summer

raybies
10-16-2019, 10:55 PM
I’d trade him right now tbh. Get a placeholder forward who can shoot the 3 for a season. Then figure out something more permanent next summer
agree 100%

ZeusWillJudge
10-16-2019, 10:59 PM
Bill Simmons coined the term "Ewing Factor". I think it would be hard to really be better without him. But whatever works. If they were actually better that would be, you know...better. You could afford to send him out for a pick and some cap relief. But experience still counts for a lot. I'd have to see it to believe it. But that doesn't mean I'd be happy about him getting a max extension.

KobesAchilles
10-16-2019, 10:59 PM
Where’s the poll so I can vote for “worse?”
The dude can’t shoot 3s and can’t defend. Everything else is irrelevant

R. DeMurre
10-16-2019, 11:02 PM
You really have to ignore advanced stats completely to justify DeRozan. His on court/off court numbers have been in the negative 9 out of his 10 regular seasons, and in the negative in all 6 of his playoff appearances. His negative playoff numbers in last year's playoff were atrocious, easily the worst on the team, and that was in a really close 7 game series that was tied with a minute to go in game 7. It's pretty clearly established that he's a career-long team net negative player. I've seen statistical glitches and anomalies before, but 16 negative results out of 17 situations over the course of a decade is clear evidence that he's nowhere near a max player, and probably shouldn't even be a starter.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/derozde01.html

ZeusWillJudge
10-16-2019, 11:11 PM
You really have to ignore advanced stats completely to justify DeRozan. His on court/off court numbers have been in the negative 9 out of his 10 regular seasons, and in the negative in all 6 of his playoff appearances. His negative playoff numbers in last year's playoff were atrocious, easily the worst on the team, and that was in a really close 7 game series that was tied with a minute to go in game 7. It's pretty clearly established that he's a career-long net negative player. I've seen statistical glitches and anomalies before, but 16 negative results out of 17 situations over the course of a decade is clear evidence that he's nowhere near a max player, and probably shouldn't even be a starter.

Can't disagree about him not being a max player. The question is whether this roster is better off without him. He's a positive VORP player - second highest on the team.

Look at it this way. What if he was playing on a min contract? Would you still be saying that the team is better off without him? (Nope, you wouldn't.) It's one thing to say he's got a bad contract - he does. But saying the team is better off without him is a pretty bold statement.

R. DeMurre
10-16-2019, 11:17 PM
Can't disagree about him not being a max player. The question is whether this roster is better off without him. He's a positive VORP player - second highest on the team.

Look at it this way. What if he was playing on a min contract? Would you still be saying that the team is better off without him? (Nope, you wouldn't.) It's one thing to say he's got a bad contract - he does. But saying the team is better off without him is a pretty bold statement.

He wouldn't be sent away for nothing. Any trade would involve other players that add up to about 28 mil. Two solid low key 10-15mil guys who play a little defense and shoot threes would represent a huge improvement.

SAGirl
10-16-2019, 11:37 PM

Without getting too deep in this, I think Demar’s lack of shooting clogs things up for everyone else, his ball dominance and poor defense are also ill suited to the development of the young players next to him. Never mind bringing up his depression and choking repeatedly in the playoffs. Strictly basketball, I think a forward who could shoot and help out this season without being ball dominant would be better. Iggy (though I don’t love him in his old age) would be better. He’s not a choker, shows up when it counts can punish you from 3 and may still have something defensively that DeMar never had. I don’t know how the Spurs could make a trade for him but I think him for a season while they figure out someone younger more permanent for that spot would be better. There could be better candidates out there too. I am not even up with info about players likely to be traded this season.

sasaint
10-16-2019, 11:37 PM
He wouldn't be sent away for nothing. Any trade would involve other players that add up to about 28 mil. Two solid low key 10-15mil guys who play a little defense and shoot threes would represent a huge improvement.

So true. Unfortunately I don’t think we will ever know. I expect Dumbmar to be a Spur as long as Pop is the coach.

ismael-robert
10-16-2019, 11:39 PM
Can they consistently get us 20pts on those 3s? CONSISTENTLY....not like marco n patty who disappear wvery other game. We have not seen him play his regular role yet just spot minutes. I don't think Pop is showing all his cards in preseason to avoid scouting and still seeing what he has. Lets see his usage next game or even wait till game 1 to make conclusions...we already see where all yalls cliff jumping lead...killed rockets without our 2nd best player plus rudy. His absence of a 3 is made up with his ability to get to line where he has taken 14 already in 40min. That weakens other team with foul trouble n penalty shots.

timtonymanu
10-16-2019, 11:40 PM
Worse, easily. His 20/6/6 numbers are empty calories. He can’t defend. He can’t shoot the 3 so he’s horrible at spacing the floor. He’s only good enough if you want to be a regular season team that gets knocked out of the 1st round. The team needs to move on from him, but unfortunately I just see them extending him because :cry culture :pop:

R. DeMurre
10-16-2019, 11:41 PM
I don't get the "how do we make up his scoring" angle. If a trade lands a guy who averages 12 ppg, that means White, Murray, Walker, Poeltl, etc combined have to add 9 ppg to cover DeRozan's 21 ppg output. That seems beyond reasonable to me.

ZeusWillJudge
10-16-2019, 11:41 PM
So true. Unfortunately I don’t think we will ever know. I expect Dumbmar to be a Spur as long as Pop is the coach.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if the team is "better without him" then you should be able to leave him on the bench and improve. Big difference between that and trading him for value.

I know the game the OP is playing. After three losses, tonight they left him on the bench and won. But, no, that doesn't mean the team is better off without him.

R. DeMurre
10-16-2019, 11:46 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but if the team is "better without him" then you should be able to leave him on the bench and improve. Big difference between that and trading him for value.

I know the game the OP is playing. After three losses, tonight they left him on the bench and won. But, no, that doesn't mean the team is better off without him.

So what's your explanation for his teams playing better with him off the floor in 9 out of 10 seasons and 6 out of 6 playoffs?

itzsoweezee
10-16-2019, 11:56 PM
The league has passed him by. He'd be worth having on the roster if he were willing to take a sixth man role, and take up salary cap space reflective of such a role.

A competent front office would trade him for a team looking for salary space or let him walk.

Larry O
10-17-2019, 12:37 AM
While part of me would like to see DDR go and not get resigned, the other part of me understands that DeRozan can also get you at least 20 points a night, perhaps something that LW4 can't give this team quite yet. Perhaps as he continues to start and play with more consistently, he will gain his confidence, scoring wise, and his scoring numbers would go up eventually, if DDR were moved this season. But unfortunately, PATFO wouldn't do it, but if they did, they would probably want someone close to DeRozan's talent, like an Iggy(?), but would it be worth the the one year rental knowing that he's too old... oh, wait! ...He would be good off the bench and at game closing time, but I'd be surprised if DDR were traded, but I guess we will see how this will play out.

spurspl
10-17-2019, 12:48 AM
he aint even fit to our, theres no place for him, need to be traded

Down Under
10-17-2019, 12:53 AM
I said it before, he could be an extremely effective 6th man if he were willing to sacrifice money & minutes (entirely possible given the relationships he has with the young guys as well as Gay). He would have to accept that the young guys are the future & be willing to take a backseat after this season as well as a paycut (or take a shorter deal). He seems to prioritise happiness & has earned a shitload of money, so I think it's entirely possible.

cool cat
10-17-2019, 02:12 AM
I said it before, he could be an extremely effective 6th man if he were willing to sacrifice money & minutes (entirely possible given the relationships he has with the young guys as well as Gay). He would have to accept that the young guys are the future & be willing to take a backseat after this season as well as a paycut (or take a shorter deal). He seems to prioritise happiness & has earned a shitload of money, so I think it's entirely possible.

I don’t think he would. But a 6th man role like Lou Williams would be interesting to test out. He could handle the ball, take all the shots he wants with the 2nd unit. They could play patty at SG with the 2nd unit which seems to be the better fit for him. If he is hot you could role with him in the 4th.

RC_Drunkford
10-17-2019, 04:17 AM
This should've been a poll with a 100% voting worse. Let him walk and sign Jaylen Brown. The Raptors have plenty of cap space next offseason and will offer DeRozan the max

Down Under
10-17-2019, 04:37 AM
I don’t think he would. But a 6th man role like Lou Williams would be interesting to test out. He could handle the ball, take all the shots he wants with the 2nd unit. They could play patty at SG with the 2nd unit which seems to be the better fit for him. If he is hot you could role with him in the 4th.
So hard to know what goes through some of these players heads as they have enormous egos being the best on the planet at what they do. DD is at that point in the road where, from the outside looking in, he can't be a 1st or possibly even 2nd option on a contender given how many times he's made the playoffs. Convincing him of that, but at the same time explaining that he could still be extremely valuable in the right role, would be an interesting conversation.

r0drig0lac
10-17-2019, 06:38 AM

Genovaswitness
10-17-2019, 06:43 AM
absolutely worse. I cringed when I saw all those people at his bitch ass clothing line release

Dejounte
10-17-2019, 06:55 AM
Its one preseason game. Any time you can "add" a 20 6 and 6 player to that win last night and figure out how it fits, it makes you better. The ceiling for this team is simply higher if you can make the fit work. Leave it to the GOAT coach.

ismael-robert
10-17-2019, 07:04 AM
Exactly. He spaces the floor with his drive n kick abilities

baseline bum
10-17-2019, 07:18 AM
This should've been a poll with a 100% voting worse. Let him walk and sign Jaylen Brown. The Raptors have plenty of cap space next offseason and will offer DeRozan the max

What's not to like about a No 3 and No D wing in 2019?

Prime BEEF
10-17-2019, 08:16 AM
He has the talent of a 2nd or 3rd option but his style of play requires that he be the first option. Much like Carmelo he has to have the ball in his and hands and go iso in order to score. That just won’t cut it. Since he isn’t willing to change his style and become a role player, he actually makes the team worse and places a hard cap on how well this team can do.

trade him now for a great player that fills a team need. Don’t keep him and let his contract expire. To me, aside from giving him an extension...that is the worst thing the front office could do. A big time free agent won’t sign with the spurs....the only way to get them is through a trade. We’ll just end up overpaying for whatever role players are left after all the big fish are gone.

SpursDynasty85
10-17-2019, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately for the Spurs Demar is at his best when he is a point forward similar to Lebron. Too bad Spurs have tons of pgs and not enough dead eye 3 pt shooters Demar needs. Demar does have other abilities that can make this team better but it will involve a lot of hustling and sacrificed stats for Demar. Hopefully he is willing to do it.

baseline bum
10-17-2019, 09:07 AM
He has the talent of a 2nd or 3rd option but his style of play requires that he be the first option. Much like Carmelo he has to have the ball in his and hands and go iso in order to score. That just won’t cut it. Since he isn’t willing to change his style and become a role player, he actually makes the team worse and places a hard cap on how well this team can do.

trade him now for a great player that fills a team need. Don’t keep him and let his contract expire. To me, aside from giving him an extension...that is the worst thing the front office could do. A big time free agent won’t sign with the spurs....the only way to get them is through a trade. We’ll just end up overpaying for whatever role players are left after all the big fish are gone.

Not going to get a great player who fills a need in a trade for DeRozan. I'd be happy with a role player who could shoot and not be awful defensively in exchange without being on a horrendous long contract (so no Kevin Love), but that's probably asking a lot.

GusT15
10-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Not going to get a great player who fills a need in a trade for DeRozan. I'd be happy with a role player who could shoot and not be awful defensively in exchange without being on a horrendous long contract (so no Kevin Love), but that's probably asking a lot.

https://i.ibb.co/zf7ZTB9/Untitled2367.jpg

exstatic
10-17-2019, 09:26 AM

Jaylen Brown is a pipe dream. Boston is struggling to contend, in spite of pulling off one of the greatest NBA heists in history by fleecing the Nets. They signed a player who immediately got seriously injured, and already lost one player that they dumped multiple first rounders to obtain, for NOTHING. Jaylen will be restricted, and they will NOT let another piece of that trade walk for nothing.

8FOR!3
10-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Maybe give him a chance after one full year with the team to see what he brings to the table. This isn't 2K age-wise he is still in his prime. Just turned 30.

SupremeGuy
10-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Can he make a 3 efficiently? If not, no reason to extend him.

Poop with his stupid mouth and attitude already cost us the 3rd best player in the history of the Spurs.

Tank really is the decision.

MultiTroll
10-17-2019, 09:42 AM
I'm just glad he worked on his 3 point shot this off season.

Him and LMA set prime examples, including effort. Below leader Patty of course.

BatManu20
10-17-2019, 09:49 AM
If only Detroit were dumb enough to trade us Blake straight up for DeMar tbh.

sasaint
10-17-2019, 10:17 AM
If only Detroit were dumb enough to trade us Blake straight up for DeMar tbh.

PATFO would have to be willing.

BackHome
10-17-2019, 12:12 PM
I noticed last year White came out of his shell when Derozz was hurt and started to ball. I am with the above Poster let see how one full year under his belt has helped him be the player we want him to be. If he is still playing like last year I am good at moving him for a targeted player or draft picks.

acoelho1
10-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Waiting for the 21st deadline to pass. I believe another year of seeing DeRozan and the growth of Murray, White and Walker will change PAFTO’s mind on resigning him to a big extension.

TD 21
10-17-2019, 05:27 PM
They should be targeting players like Hayward and Gallinari, who can assist with this delicate balance between trying to win while re-building and trying to put the three young guards in position to succeed while making sure they're still insulated.

Coach X
10-17-2019, 05:50 PM
Unpopular opinion here.

I have to disagree with most of you. I think DeRozan still makes the Spurs better.

He's undeniably the best offense generator in the team and the last season our offense depended absolutely on him. Aldridge could have that role but he's unable of generating advantages for team on a regular basis, game to game, as he relies too much on his jumper and not enough on attacking the rim.
White makes good plays for the team mainly running the p&r but he still can't do it against starting units. Murray looks better running the offense but still is unproven during a representative stretch of time. I'm eager to watch them progress as Spurs, I really like them both. Lonnie Walker looks great as well. All them 3 will be starting caliber players in the worst case scenario, who knows what level of stardom they'll reach in the best case scenario. They are playing their 2nd-3rd season, it's not their moment yet,d and they can benefit from playing next to DeRozan.

I would wait until the AllStar break to make a decission about DeRozan's next contract offer. Spurs are in a good position, with several high potential guards developing in comfortable positions into the roster, in a perfect balance between responsibility, opportunities and pressure.

DeRozan takes the leadership weight over his shoulders in a team with around 45W and playoff expectations in 18-19' Western Conference. He takes the blame when things aren't goind well, he doesn't look for excuses and plays for the team. He is under the spotlight and protects our young guys until they're ready to lead the team next season or the season after. In the meantime, they progress in a winning environment next to, yeah, second tier team leaders (historically speaking) like DeRozan, Aldridge or Gay but good pros and leaders enough to act as useful mentors.

DeRozan won't lead the team to the ring but he has a key role in our team progression and transition to the next group with real championship chances. This season, somebody has to take the shots in the clutch time and take the shots from the press and the forums when the games are lost. Imagine a DeRozanless Spurs, half of the forum would be hating Murray/ White and the other half asking for Aldridge, Gay and Mills to be traded :lol .There is a reason for the Spurs to keep being the Spurs and keep winning despite the ups & downs.

DeRozan has been playing next to Aldridge+Poetl with the solely help of Forbes as a shooter. That has been probably the real reason for the spacing problem in the starting unit. Pop decided to play two bigs in order to at least guarantee one of them would protect the rim and secure the rebound. DeMarr had to find spaces for dribbling and scoring/assisting surrounded by Jakob and Aldridge. Maybe Murray's contribution in defense and rebound allows Pop to introduce Gay/Liles into the starting five, balancing the second unit with Poetl and, by the way, providing White a p&r partner. Last season, DeRozan + screener + shooters (Bertans, Mills, Forbes, Belinelli) units produced great offense, they lacked defense though. Hopefully Popovich can put toghether two balanced units, distributing equally defensive and offensive players.

I want to wacth this new roster play at least 20 games and see how things go before throwing away DeMar DeRozan. He's a solid professional, an elite offensive generator and he's starting his second season in San Antonio. He still has enough credit to me.

Joseph Kony
10-17-2019, 06:32 PM
I think he has value, and in the right role for the right price he could be an excellent player in the Spurs system. the problem is, for 30+ million and a role as the primary or #2 scorer, he definitely makes us worse. he just isnt that guy imo. thats why i think Spurs and LA should seriously discuss a trade as i think it could benefit both teams

SAGirl
10-17-2019, 10:04 PM
Unpopular opinion here.

I have to disagree with most of you. I think DeRozan still makes the Spurs better.

He's undeniably the best offense generator in the team and the last season our offense depended absolutely on him. Aldridge could have that role but he's unable of generating advantages for team on a regular basis, game to game, as he relies too much on his jumper and not enough on attacking the rim.
White makes good plays for the team mainly running the p&r but he still can't do it against starting units. Murray looks better running the offense but still is unproven during a representative stretch of time. I'm eager to watch them progress as Spurs, I really like them both. Lonnie Walker looks great as well. All them 3 will be starting caliber players in the worst case scenario, who knows what level of stardom they'll reach in the best case scenario. They are playing their 2nd-3rd season, it's not their moment yet,d and they can benefit from playing next to DeRozan.

I would wait until the AllStar break to make a decission about DeRozan's next contract offer. Spurs are in a good position, with several high potential guards developing in comfortable positions into the roster, in a perfect balance between responsibility, opportunities and pressure.

DeRozan takes the leadership weight over his shoulders in a team with around 45W and playoff expectations in 18-19' Western Conference. He takes the blame when things aren't goind well, he doesn't look for excuses and plays for the team. He is under the spotlight and protects our young guys until they're ready to lead the team next season or the season after. In the meantime, they progress in a winning environment next to, yeah, second tier team leaders (historically speaking) like DeRozan, Aldridge or Gay but good pros and leaders enough to act as useful mentors.

DeRozan won't lead the team to the ring but he has a key role in our team progression and transition to the next group with real championship chances. This season, somebody has to take the shots in the clutch time and take the shots from the press and the forums when the games are lost. Imagine a DeRozanless Spurs, half of the forum would be hating Murray/ White and the other half asking for Aldridge, Gay and Mills to be traded :lol .There is a reason for the Spurs to keep being the Spurs and keep winning despite the ups & downs.

DeRozan has been playing next to Aldridge+Poetl with the solely help of Forbes as a shooter. That has been probably the real reason for the spacing problem in the starting unit. Pop decided to play two bigs in order to at least guarantee one of them would protect the rim and secure the rebound. DeMarr had to find spaces for dribbling and scoring/assisting surrounded by Jakob and Aldridge. Maybe Murray's contribution in defense and rebound allows Pop to introduce Gay/Liles into the starting five, balancing the second unit with Poetl and, by the way, providing White a p&r partner. Last season, DeRozan + screener + shooters (Bertans, Mills, Forbes, Belinelli) units produced great offense, they lacked defense though. Hopefully Popovich can put toghether two balanced units, distributing equally defensive and offensive players.

I want to wacth this new roster play at least 20 games and see how things go before throwing away DeMar DeRozan. He's a solid professional, an elite offensive generator and he's starting his second season in San Antonio. He still has enough credit to me.
This was a great post and while I disagree I thank you for your reasoning and explanation. You may very well be right and the likely reason he and Spurs stand pat.

Play Boban
10-17-2019, 10:13 PM
does terrorism make the world better or worse? that is the question
One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter tbh. Is DDR our terrorist or freedom fighter, though? I think he’s the former tbh.

Play Boban
10-17-2019, 10:15 PM
If cancer were a person, he would be it tbh.

GAustex
10-17-2019, 10:21 PM
If cancer were a person, he would be it tbh.
You are right. DDR I think is not a bad person. He just does not play winning ball. Has to have the ball to be effective. Does NOTHING when he does not have the ball except maybe hold his hand in the air. Makes bad decisions at crunch time. Folds under pressure and plays no defense.
But he looks good shaking and baking his way to the hole only to get his shit stuffed.

UZER
10-17-2019, 10:38 PM
He doesn’t make them better or worse, which is the worst case scenario because that means he’s hard to get rid of.

bayareaspursfan
10-17-2019, 11:39 PM
Trade DeRozan for buddy hield!

R. DeMurre
10-17-2019, 11:44 PM
You really have to ignore advanced stats completely to justify DeRozan. His on court/off court numbers have been in the negative 9 out of his 10 regular seasons, and in the negative in all 6 of his playoff appearances. His negative playoff numbers in last year's playoff were atrocious, easily the worst on the team, and that was in a really close 7 game series that was tied with a minute to go in game 7. It's pretty clearly established that he's a career-long team net negative player. I've seen statistical glitches and anomalies before, but 16 negative results out of 17 situations over the course of a decade is clear evidence that he's nowhere near a max player, and probably shouldn't even be a starter.

This explanation only helps reinforce what DeRozan's shortcomings are. He can't be grouped with certain line ups because his non-shooting hurts the spacing, but he also can't be grouped with other better spaced line ups because his defense is poor. A max contract guy shouldn't have so many shortcomings that grouping him with four other players on the court is this difficult.

tbdog
10-18-2019, 12:04 AM
I agree that a max player should be easier to build around, but the issue is the spurs spending a bit too much of role players that are not 3&D. A young players Murray/White/Walker are not shooters or good shooters (yet*). So I get the point to trade DD for a plus defender who can shoot at the 3, then let Murray/White/Walker create. Unfortunately I think this would be a sideways move.

Prose
10-18-2019, 01:38 AM
Best strategy? Let him walk..do not sign him to an extension...use the money to get better players.

RC_Drunkford
10-18-2019, 08:09 AM
Jaylen Brown is a pipe dream. Boston is struggling to contend, in spite of pulling off one of the greatest NBA heists in history by fleecing the Nets. They signed a player who immediately got seriously injured, and already lost one player that they dumped multiple first rounders to obtain, for NOTHING. Jaylen will be restricted, and they will NOT let another piece of that trade walk for nothing.

The reaction to the Yahoo report that Boston Celtics swingman Jaylen Brown had turned down a four-year, $80 million offer from the franchise was a lot of laughs and you must be crazy tweets.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/celtics-jaylen-brown-extension-2020 (https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/celtics-jaylen-brown-extension-2020)

Brown appeared to be a frustrated figure during parts of last NBA season as the Celtics kept changing rotations and line-ups to find a way to get the best from their talents.

Playing for Gregg Popovich, I’ll do that any day of the week."
For the most part, players hold Popovich in high regard.
Considering he commands respect in the basketball world, a lock for the Basketball Hall of Fame and puts players first in his system, it is no wonder Brown would want to play for Popovich.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/celtics-jaylen-brown-would-play-for-popovich-any-time (https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/celtics-jaylen-brown-would-play-for-popovich-any-time)

·
Team USA head coach Gregg Popovich is a big fan of Boston Celtics (https://clutchpoints.com/sports/nba/boston-celtics) small forward Jaylen Brown (https://clutchpoints.com/sports/nba/players/Jaylen-Brown/b56809d9).
After finishing with 11 points, four rebounds and four assists in Team USA’s win over Brazil on Monday, Brown drew high praise from the legendary San Antonio Spurs (https://clutchpoints.com/sports/nba/san-antonio-spurs) coach.
"He’s a strong player," Popovich said of Brown, via Joe Vardon of The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/1197315/2019/09/09/26-thoughts-team-usa-win-over-brazil-fiba-world-cup/). "For his size and strength, he moves well and he will penetrate. He can catch and pull it. Get to the rim. And he’s unselfish and finding other people. He’s just kind of an all-around player. He has stepped in and given us good minutes at both ends of the floor for sure."

https://clutchpoints.com/team-usa-news-gregg-popovich-calls-jaylen-brown-strong-player/ (https://clutchpoints.com/team-usa-news-gregg-popovich-calls-jaylen-brown-strong-player/)

"So I grew up playing all positions and getting back to that with Coach Pop is just like coming back into myself."
Brown added Popovich has already helped him improve.
"Being physical on the rebounds. Pop is being honest with me," Brown said.
"I'm trying to let all my flaws come out now as we have some of the best coaches to ever coach in this gym so I can get the right direction I need."
Popovich’s nightly team dinners have further helped the Celtics grow closer.
"Even guys I've been playing with for two, three years I'm learning more about them," Brown said.
"When you are outside your comfort zone, halfway across the world, you see things come out of people that you never expect over a glass of wine."
If the Celtics beat the Spurs during the NBA season and Brown is showing the fruits of his work with Team USA, he knows Popovich won't regret helping him this campaign.
"I don't think he's going to regret it," Brown said.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/jaylen-brown-says-time-with-popovich-is-bringing-celtics-stars-closer-20190820-p52j1y.html (https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/jaylen-brown-says-time-with-popovich-is-bringing-celtics-stars-closer-20190820-p52j1y.html)

:wakeup