PDA

View Full Version : This team doesn’t have a superstar.

RGMCSE
10-23-2019, 11:16 PM
I see a bunch of has beens and almost cans but not one bonafide superstar. I think Murray is a nice young talent but he ain’t no superstar. This team doesn’t have an identity and no real direction. It’s pretty sad but not unexpected. I think seeing it live the dose of reality is too strong and this team is mediocre but will overachieve to a playoff seed. I hate to say it but I still want a rebuild. Get what you can for lamarsha and defrozen and try to get a superstar back in SA.

KobesAchilles
10-23-2019, 11:18 PM
Well no shit we don’t have a superstar. There’s really only like 5 in the league. I agree about trading DeRozan but honestly just as pressing is getting rid of the dead weight of Marco and Patty. Even with a superstar we ain’t doing shit of those guys are playing 20 minutes a night.

SpurPadre
10-23-2019, 11:22 PM
I have confidence that Murray will eventually grow into being a Superstar if he can stay healthy. The question is when?

daslicer
10-23-2019, 11:22 PM
Not expecting this team to contend. I'm all about player development. Watching Murray and White this year will be fun.

Dennis the Menace
10-23-2019, 11:23 PM
I see a bunch of has beens and almost cans but not one bonafide superstar. I think Murray is a nice young talent but he ain’t no superstar. This team doesn’t have an identity and no real direction. It’s pretty sad but not unexpected. I think seeing it live the dose of reality is too strong and this team is mediocre but will overachieve to a playoff seed. I hate to say it but I still want a rebuild. Get what you can for lamarsha and defrozen and try to get a superstar back in SA.

Did you think Kawhi wasn’t a superstar in the making when he got finals MVP against the heat? He’s now the best player in the NBA. Spurs have a superstar in the making on the team right now. It’s Murray.

This is literally a Kawhi development clone. Defense first, then Chip getting his offense down. I don’t know what to tell you if you can’t see this

RGMCSE
10-23-2019, 11:25 PM
Well no shit we don’t have a superstar. There’s really only like 5 in the league. I agree about trading DeRozan but honestly just as pressing is getting rid of the dead weight of Marco and Patty. Even with a superstar we ain’t doing shit of those guys are playing 20 minutes a night.

true but having a superstar in this league changes everything. Players know what’s on the team. This team is so bland and boring. It’s time for more than one change. Delaying it doesn’t do anything. It’s not like it was pre 1999 where people would accept playoff runs. This city is past it now. We know what a real contender looks like and I don’t see the point in what the spurs are doing right now. It’s pointless.

SpurPadre
10-23-2019, 11:29 PM
true but having a superstar in this league changes everything. Players know what’s on the team. This team is so bland and boring. It’s time for more than one change. Delaying it doesn’t do anything. It’s not like it was pre 1999 where people would accept playoff runs. This city is past it now. We know what a real contender looks like and I don’t see the point in what the spurs are doing right now. It’s pointless.

120 points with your rising star only logging 24 points isn't boring.

DeRozan m8
10-23-2019, 11:29 PM
Oh okay, guess we had better just go get a superstar then

RGMCSE
10-23-2019, 11:30 PM
Did you think Kawhi wasn’t a superstar in the making when he got finals MVP against the heat? He’s now the best player in the NBA. Spurs have a superstar in the making on the team right now. It’s Murray.

This is literally a Kawhi development clone. Defense first, then Chip getting his offense down. I don’t know what to tell you if you can’t see this

Actually yes I did think Kawhi was different than most young players. He showed flashes so early as a two way player and that was without even having a shot yet. It was evident he was going to be good. I don’t feel the same way about Murray. He’s good but not great.

NASpurs
10-23-2019, 11:30 PM
You mean to tell me that Pop isn’t the superstar?

RGMCSE
10-23-2019, 11:40 PM
120 points with your rising star only logging 24 points isn't boring.

No your right but defrozen not scoring til the 4th was pretty bad. This a player that wants a max contract. Fuuuuck that. I like Murray but right now he’s not superstar level. He’s not even all star level. Time will tell with him though.

leo07251413
10-23-2019, 11:41 PM
What are you talking about? We have Patty and Marco.

Mr. Body
10-23-2019, 11:41 PM
The Spurs had a superstar in only like one year in the last decade and that dude quit on us.

MultiTroll
10-23-2019, 11:43 PM
:lol

daslicer

You sound like a Lakers fan. Superstars are hard to get. I have just accepted that if the Spurs do get another one it will be through player development. We'll see how these young guys like Murray,Walker,White,Luka, develop over the next few years. LMA and Demar will be gone probably after 2 years.

There is also no guarantee with tanking this team will get a special player. I will give you a pass for getting frustrated if the Spurs give Demar an extension.

RGMCSE
The Spurs had a superstar in only like one year in the last decade and that dude quit on us.

The big three each took turns carrying this team as the superstar. It was pretty special. Don’t you remember that?

MultiTroll
Wow, what stocks should we buy?

RGMCSE
10-23-2019, 11:45 PM
You sound like a Lakers fan. Superstars are hard to get. I have just accepted that if the Spurs do get another one it will be through player development. We'll see how these young guys like Murray,Walker,White,Luka, develop over the next few years. LMA and Demar will be gone probably after 2 years.

There is also no guarantee with tanking this team will get a special player. I will give you a pass for getting frustrated if the Spurs give Demar an extension.

Uh the Spurs have always had a superstar since the 70s. What are you talking about with this laker bullshit. This sounds like loser acceptance talk.

Dennis the Menace
10-23-2019, 11:47 PM
Actually yes I did think Kawhi was different than most young players. He showed flashes so early as a two way player and that was without even having a shot yet. It was evident he was going to be good. I don’t feel the same way about Murray. He’s good but not great.

You sound like an idiot. Murray scored 20 points against Houston the other day shooting 72%. He scored 18 points tonight shooting 70%.

You have a guy that’s 23 years old, who’s the best defensive point guard in the league, he can guard the 1-3 spots, might be the best rebounding point guard in the league, and he can put up efficient 20 points on 70% shooting.

if that’s not great then I don’t know what is.

RGMCSE
10-23-2019, 11:47 PM
Wow, what stocks should we buy?

Invest in Kotex cause your flow is crazy. You should get a great ROI!

RGMCSE
10-23-2019, 11:50 PM
You sound like an idiot. Murray scored 20 points against Houston the other day shooting 72%. He scored 18 points tonight shooting 70%.

You have a guy that’s 23 years old, who’s the best defensive point guard in the league, he can guard the 1-3 spots, might be the best rebounding point guard in the league, and he can put up efficient 20 points on 70% shooting.

if that’s not great then I don’t know what is.

Thats great and all but you think he’s a superstar? Is he the franchise?

lefty20
10-23-2019, 11:53 PM
Neither did the 2014 version. Iirc, that worked out pretty well at the end.

Dennis the Menace
10-23-2019, 11:58 PM
You are contradicting yourself. Not even making sense.

You said that with Kawhi “it was evident that he was going to be good.” Well obviously yeah. He continued his development trend and became great.

You said that with Murray “he’s good but not great.” Hold up. You were okay with Kawhi looking good at this age, and admit Murray is also good at this age, but there’s a problem with Murray because he’s not great? At this same age, if Kawhi was good and Murray is good, shouldn’t that be okay?

It took Kawhi 2-3 years after that to be great. Murray is literally on the same development track. He’s going to be great in 2-3 years. He’s a superstar in the making

timtonymanu
10-23-2019, 11:58 PM
Neither did the 2014 version. Iirc, that worked out pretty well at the end.

The 2014 team was vastly superior to this year’s team.

dabom6
10-23-2019, 11:59 PM
We got Tim Duncan on the bench. :lol

Dhbsr555
10-24-2019, 12:01 AM
Anyone who says Murray won’t be great is definitely a troll

TDomination
10-24-2019, 12:04 AM
We have a superstar in the making.

Dennis the Menace
10-24-2019, 12:04 AM
Thats great and all but you think he’s a superstar? Is he the franchise?

Murray is the franchise. He’s the second coming of Kawhi. The best defender & rebounder at his position and efficient AF.

Give it 3 years and there will probably be a big rivalry between Kawhi vs Murray. Like Tim vs Shaq. The next San Antonio vs Los Angeles

daslicer
10-24-2019, 12:07 AM
Uh the Spurs have always had a superstar since the 70s. What are you talking about with this laker bullshit. This sounds like loser acceptance talk.

I'm in my 30's so I don't remember the 70s or 80s. Spurs lucked out in getting Gervin,Robinson,Duncan, and then #2 becoming one. To a large degree it was fluky but I do give the Spurs a lot of credit for #2's development . I also have perspective on how hard it is for a small market team to land a superstar since I grew up in NC and live in Charlotte. Look at the Hornets they haven't had a legit superstar in over 20 years despite trying to tank hard to get one. You were just spoiled for most of your life that you didn't have to go through the struggle that fans of small market teams go through when it comes to landing a superstar.

I prefer what the Spurs are doing right now with going to the playoffs while developing their young players. Its good to give these guys the experience of winning but at the same time I'm hoping one of them can break through. Look at how the bucks developed Giannis. He was super raw from day one but they still tried to win games and go to the playoffs. Up until last year the Bucks were bounced out of the first round 3 times while they have had Giannis. Tanking to me is boring I prefer to keep winning games. I have seen it live in person with the Hornets and its a soul crushing experience for fans. You want to do it badly but you will be going crazy when the Spurs are winning 20-30 games per year. If the Spurs do become a 20-30 win team I prefer it to be a natural progression than for it to be a Sixers like tank job set up.

lefty20
10-24-2019, 12:13 AM
The 2014 team was vastly superior to this year’s team.

Obviously. The response was too address the thread title and make a point. The point being that we don't necessarily need a superstar have a successful season. And a successful season for THIS team would be getting the 4 seed and making the second round.

ZeusWillJudge
10-24-2019, 12:17 AM
They have the great Timothy Theordore Duncan on the bench. His mojo alone has to be worth at least a few wins over the season.

BillMc
10-24-2019, 02:14 AM

ElNono
10-24-2019, 02:27 AM
Should never have traded Paul George... smh

exstatic
10-24-2019, 06:51 AM
DJ 27p/12r/9a per 36

I’m pretty sure he’s on a minutes restriction, since, other than the 4th, he played almost exactly 6 minutes to start each quarter. Pop gave him an extra minute or two in the 4th, so it seems that it might be in the 25-26 minute area.

Yeah, he’s going to be a superstar.

8FOR!3
10-24-2019, 07:26 AM
LMA has consistently gone head to head with just about every big you could call a superstar and at the very least holds his own. He isn’t flashy but that doesn’t work against him bc when his jumper is falling you can’t guard him and he has the ability to take games over, also just by being a grinder. Call him soft all you want and I agree some nights he can be a bit lethargic but he gets put back points and plays good D most nights.

RGMCSE
10-24-2019, 09:32 AM
You are contradicting yourself. Not even making sense.

You said that with Kawhi “it was evident that he was going to be good.” Well obviously yeah. He continued his development trend and became great.

You said that with Murray “he’s good but not great.” Hold up. You were okay with Kawhi looking good at this age, and admit Murray is also good at this age, but there’s a problem with Murray because he’s not great? At this same age, if Kawhi was good and Murray is good, shouldn’t that be okay?

It took Kawhi 2-3 years after that to be great. Murray is literally on the same development track. He’s going to be great in 2-3 years. He’s a superstar in the making

you make good points and I’m not above being corrected. I agree with you. Murray maybe this teams future star. But in my defense I’m bitching more about this years team. Right now this team is lacking a go to star that punishes the defense. This team is a mesh of ok players that when they start to gel will make a nice season of it. But nothing more. It’s just a sobering thought to watch them as a complete unit and be slapped with reality.

RGMCSE
10-24-2019, 09:38 AM
I'm in my 30's so I don't remember the 70s or 80s. Spurs lucked out in getting Gervin,Robinson,Duncan, and then #2 becoming one. To a large degree it was fluky but I do give the Spurs a lot of credit for #2's development . I also have perspective on how hard it is for a small market team to land a superstar since I grew up in NC and live in Charlotte. Look at the Hornets they haven't had a legit superstar in over 20 years despite trying to tank hard to get one. You were just spoiled for most of your life that you didn't have to go through the struggle that fans of small market teams go through when it comes to landing a superstar.

I prefer what the Spurs are doing right now with going to the playoffs while developing their young players. Its good to give these guys the experience of winning but at the same time I'm hoping one of them can break through. Look at how the bucks developed Giannis. He was super raw from day one but they still tried to win games and go to the playoffs. Up until last year the Bucks were bounced out of the first round 3 times while they have had Giannis. Tanking to me is boring I prefer to keep winning games. I have seen it live in person with the Hornets and its a soul crushing experience for fans. You want to do it badly but you will be going crazy when the Spurs are winning 20-30 games per year. If the Spurs do become a 20-30 win team I prefer it to be a natural progression than for it to be a Sixers like tank job set up.

Great post man and yes I’m spoiled af not even gonna lie. While the spurs are great at developing their own time and time again that is kind of what I’m urging for. I don’t like watching Lamarcus and defrozen. Their not spurs type players. It’s hard to watch them and feel like they fit in and I would rather the spurs cut their losses with them and try to either manufacture the next star or pull an underachieving hyper talented young player from another team and further develop him into a star.

ZeusWillJudge
10-24-2019, 09:43 AM
Should never have traded Paul George... smh

After he faked that injury playing for Team USA, they didn't really have much choice, TBH.

look_at_g_shred
10-24-2019, 09:46 AM
you make good points and I’m not above being corrected. I agree with you. Murray maybe this teams future star. But in my defense I’m bitching more about this years team. Right now this team is lacking a go to star that punishes the defense. This team is a mesh of ok players that when they start to gel will make a nice season of it. But nothing more. It’s just a sobering thought to watch them as a complete unit and be slapped with reality.
True but how was this not the expectation coming into this season? I never thought we were going to have a superstar this year. It was always about Murray's return and seeing him take the next step ( which I can confirm right now is true ) Plus the development of our young guys coupled with a winning (not a championship ) environment.

BD24
10-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Wow. Thanks for the revelation OP. Great thread. Will recommend to family and friends.

Of course we don’t have a superstar you fucking idiot. We haven’t had a superstar since KL left. This isn’t something new :lol

jjktkk
10-24-2019, 10:13 AM
The big three each took turns carrying this team as the superstar. It was pretty special. Don’t you remember that?

Do you realize how hard it is to duplicate the big 3? You need to being patient on Murray. He's not even reached his potential yet.

spurspl
10-24-2019, 11:04 AM
duuude we have a superstar 3pt non shooter in demar, superstar in $ earning from the bench in mills and superstars in PATFO who did a great job in trading and signing new players.

RC_Drunkford
10-24-2019, 01:16 PM
about 20 out of 30 teams in the NBA don't have a superstar. You act like that type of player will just fall out the sky. The Spurs are taking the right approach. They have an Aldridge/DeRozan/Gay core that can keep them somewhat competitive while they are simultaneously developing young talent. Murray and Walker both have the potential to become superstars and Derrick White will be at least a solid 3rd option or 6th man with All-NBA defense. They are gambling on talent overlap, which means the 3 older stars can keep producing while the young talent keeps improving and eventually breaks out. If all 3 of them have a break out year you have a chance to compete. That's a lot better than trying to tank

BillMc
10-24-2019, 01:35 PM
I read some guy named Luka scored 34 and wow'ed a Texas audience. Didn't have time to read the details but I assume that was our guy.

RGMCSE
10-24-2019, 04:05 PM
Do you realize how hard it is to duplicate the big 3? You need to being patient on Murray. He's not even reached his potential yet.

I know that. I was replying to someone that said we didn’t have a superstar for the last 10+ years which isn’t true at all.

RGMCSE
10-24-2019, 04:08 PM
about 20 out of 30 teams in the NBA don't have a superstar. You act like that type of player will just fall out the sky. The Spurs are taking the right approach. They have an Aldridge/DeRozan/Gay core that can keep them somewhat competitive while they are simultaneously developing young talent. Murray and Walker both have the potential to become superstars and Derrick White will be at least a solid 3rd option or 6th man with All-NBA defense. They are gambling on talent overlap, which means the 3 older stars can keep producing while the young talent keeps improving and eventually breaks out. If all 3 of them have a break out year you have a chance to compete. That's a lot better than trying to tank

Your explanation is a good way to keep things in perspective. I know that the spurs develop players and that’s why I’m taking a wait and see approach with players like walker, Murray, white, Forbes and Luca. But I’m more done with Rudy, lamarcus and defrozen because I don’t believe in them as a core. I’m ready to turn them into future assets in hopes that we find that next spur type superstar. Murray May be the guy but I want more options.

Dex
10-24-2019, 04:28 PM
We won in 2014 without a superstar (at least, not one in his prime)

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-25-2019, 02:48 AM

Exactly! Definitely better than tanking. If they can re-sign White, Forbes and Poeltl at good value deals and continue developing them they’ll be in a great position in 2021 with a young team and some $50 mil in cap space (depending on other moves obviously). Not that a superstar is likely to sign for the Spurs but it’s still a great position to be in.

Get Giannis and coach Bud back in 2021 :lol

cjw
10-25-2019, 08:05 AM
The Warriors have a superstar and look how that’s going to turn out for them

Roscoe P. Coltrane
10-25-2019, 06:56 PM

I prefer what the Spurs are doing right now with going to the playoffs while developing their young players. Its good to give these guys the experience of winning but at the same time I'm hoping one of them can break through. Look at how the bucks developed Giannis. He was super raw from day one but they still tried to win games and go to the playoffs. Up until last year the Bucks were bounced out of the first round 3 times while they have had Giannis. Tanking to me is boring I prefer to keep winning games. I have seen it live in person with the Hornets and its a soul crushing experience for fans. You want to do it badly but you will be going crazy when the Spurs are winning 20-30 games per year. If the Spurs do become a 20-30 win team I prefer it to be a natural progression than for it to be a Sixers like tank job set up. Exactly, How long has it taken Philly to be good again? Spurs will suck for a minimal of 5 years.

UZER
10-25-2019, 06:58 PM
I have confidence that Murray will eventually grow into being a Superstar if he can stay healthy. The question is when?

When I say he can.

:pop:

Spurtacular
10-25-2019, 11:17 PM

I'd be surprised, tbh. But he can be a legit all star.

Thomas82
10-26-2019, 12:46 PM

I agree 100%!! This has been my mindset ever since we traded #2.