PDA

View Full Version : A Closer Look at Trey Lyles

timvp
10-24-2019, 07:40 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/trey-lyles-san-antonio-spurs-starting-power-forward/

tl;dr: From lottery pick to scrap heap to Spurs starting power forward.

ceperez
10-24-2019, 07:43 PM
Just needs to facilitate the offense and help on defense. Simple job that he might have figured out already! Just do what Poetl does!!!

FkLA
10-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Not as good of a passer (still solid though) but he looks a lot like Bobo out there. Even the way he moves and his pace is very similar.

PATFO may have done it again. If only the in-game coaching was on par with the front office side of things.

NASpurs
10-24-2019, 07:51 PM
From what I got from the article: he’ll impress in his first season with a team and then fall flat in the second season. :lol Basically we’ll hate him next year.

BackHome
10-24-2019, 07:56 PM
Yeah that is what caught my eye when reading the article how can you duplicate that on two different teams is kinda crazy in a bad way.lol

I am definitely not giving him a decent contract until year 3 but in all honesty the dude needs to bulk up a little more. He also better have a come to Jesus meeting with himself and decide to work his ass to stay in the league or his career will be over real fast.

daslicer
10-24-2019, 08:07 PM
I like to see what he does in the next 10-20 games before I can believe he is a legit starter. I remember jumping the gun many years ago with Elson off of his first regular season game and thinking he was the Spurs center of the future. We all saw how that ended.

ceperez
10-24-2019, 08:07 PM
Yeah that is what caught my eye when reading the article how can you duplicate that on two different teams is kinda crazy in a bad way.lol

I am definitely not giving him a decent contract until year 3 but in all honesty the dude needs to bulk up a little more. He also better have a come to Jesus meeting with himself and decide to work his ass to stay in the league or his career will be over real fast.

At 23 he was almost out of the league if the Spurs didn't pick him up!! Now he's finding that he's in starting lineup and finishing games!!!

tbdog
10-24-2019, 08:11 PM
I didn't know what type of player Lyles was. I thought he just took jumpers and missed them. But that first game he was like a Diaw.

stu scotts eye
10-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Hope he can "spread"the floor and make 3s consistently. Otherwise he's just another person defenses can sag off to contest Demaridge's long 2s.

Mr. Body
10-24-2019, 08:44 PM
From what I got from the article: he’ll impress in his first season with a team and then fall flat in the second season. :lol Basically we’ll hate him next year.

Jesus fucking Christ slow the fuck down.

Russ
10-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Great writeup.

Sometimes dumb luck is better than the best laid plans. And isn't necessity the mother of invention?

Cliches aside, this guy always seems to have a good debut in his first year followed by a dropoff.

So we may have to wait a while to come to any conclusion on Lyles.

But Pop seems to like him and that's a good sign (unless Pop is just stubbornly trying to claim the whole Morris fiasco really worked out in the end).

mookie2001
10-24-2019, 09:16 PM
He’s from Saskatoon!

raybies
10-24-2019, 10:04 PM
Quality read. Really enjoyed this one :tu

K...
10-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Jesus fucking Christ slow the fuck down.

That's timvps article though, he's a bargain signing because of attitude issues. The only hope is that he matures or that pop gets through to him in a way two prior coaches have not

Ditty
10-24-2019, 10:44 PM
He sucks.

TimDunkem
10-24-2019, 10:53 PM
Julius Randle killed him.

timvp
10-24-2019, 11:11 PM
Great writeup.

Sometimes dumb luck is better than the best laid plans. And isn't necessity the mother of invention?

Cliches aside, this guy always seems to have a good debut in his first year followed by a dropoff.

So we may have to wait a while to come to any conclusion on Lyles.

But Pop seems to like him and that's a good sign (unless Pop is just stubbornly trying to claim the whole Morris fiasco really worked out in the end).

I hadn't thought of that but it's good the Spurs have a second-year option on him. Judging by his history, you shouldn't think of signing him to a long-term deal before you see two full seasons :lol

UZER
10-24-2019, 11:14 PM
Why?

joeyjfive
10-24-2019, 11:38 PM
I think everyone having extremely low expectations for this guy helps him. ��

SpurPadre
10-24-2019, 11:44 PM
The guy has a solid debut for us and people double-down on him being a scrub... smh.

ZeusWillJudge
10-24-2019, 11:49 PM
Excellent! I didn't know or forgot that Lyles was sick for those first two preseason games that Poeltl started. I also hadn't noticed that Lyles was that shot-happy last year. 15.9 FGA/36? Dayum.

I'd like to know what happened in Denver last year. In preseason he was pretty damn good, and he started the regular season pretty good. But somewhere around Christmas things changed. The truth is, if he had kept his 3P% up to around 35%, his offensive numbers would have still looked pretty good. But he shot .255 from the arc and took them more often than he ever had in his career. The funny thing is, he made almost 41% of his corner 3's, so he must have really stunk it up from straight away.

I'd also like to know what makes a guy like him decide to start chasing boards. In that interview with Jefferson, where he bitched about the 3 hour practices, RJ was giving him shit about not rebounding hard. That's pretty much his reputation. So did Pop sit him down, or did he just decide to do that on his own?

DAF86
10-24-2019, 11:58 PM
Hopefully he becomes more reliable with that 3pt shot.

JeffDuncan
10-24-2019, 11:58 PM
I'd also like to know what makes a guy like him decide to start chasing boards. In that interview with Jefferson, where he bitched about the 3 hour practices, RJ was giving him shit about not rebounding hard. That's pretty much his reputation. So did Pop sit him down, or did he just decide to do that on his own?

What crossed my mind, is that the Spurs have that new assistant coach - oh, what's his name - something like "Duncan" I think, and he's supposed to be pretty good at the big man stuff like rebounding. So they say.

In other words, I have to suspect that Tim is doing Lyles some good.

alpha_HaZE
10-25-2019, 12:03 AM
Looking at the contract he signed with San Antonio, it wasn’t even clear if the Spurs wanted him or just wanted a tradable asset, as his contract is front-loaded in a way to maximize its value in a future trade.

And who isn't to say, we are starting him to maximize his value is a future trade? I can easily see the Spurs package him with DeMar later this year. Especially if DJ, Bryn and Derrick keep giving us solid minutes.

BatManu20
10-25-2019, 12:06 AM
He’s going to be our weakest starter all season obviously, but if he can just play within himself and not try to do too much, I think he can be a decent player for us and tbh. I hope he continues to improve as he gets more comfortable in our system and more comfortable with our guys.

Also, if he can become a 38% shooter from 3 like he was his first two seasons in Utah, that would be huge. Or even around a 35% one. Would be massive for spacing.

BillMc
10-25-2019, 12:14 AM
Hopefully, he can become another major Spurs reclamation project like Bruce Bowen or Danny Green. Wishful thinking, I know.

timtonymanu
10-25-2019, 12:42 AM
Feel like he’s getting a little too much hype but I hope he proves me wrong. Definitely agree with others that hitting 3s should make him a luxury in the starting 5.

John B
10-25-2019, 12:49 AM
This is his last chance to be an NBA player. If he doesn’t capitalize on this opportunity, he would be one of those has been’s who was at one point seeded higher than other ultimately better player. I’m sure the coaching staff made that crystal clear. Trey has the body, the length and especially the high bball iq to be a very good NBA player. I hope it has sunk in, and he wisened up. Boris was the same, and occasionally needed the proper motivation. I’m hoping Timmy, the best PF ever, will make an impression on him. Another Spur who has a chip on his shoulder. I’m rooting for him. GSG!

SpurPadre
10-25-2019, 01:18 AM
NBA Draftnet compared him to Carlos Boozer coming out of college: https://www.nbadraft.net/players/trey-lyles

Odds are he won't meet that comparison, at least not a Boozer in his prime, but the guy has some skills and you can still see many of the traits listed in that article so far.

daslicer
10-25-2019, 01:19 AM
NBA Draftnet compared him to Carlos Boozer coming out of college: https://www.nbadraft.net/players/trey-lyles

Odds are he won't meet that comparison, at least not a Boozer in his prime, but the guy has some skills and you can still see many of the traits listed in that article so far.

Boozer was pretty strong. Trey would have to get on steroids to be as big as Boozer was. Boozer was a banger.

timvp
10-25-2019, 02:04 AM
What crossed my mind, is that the Spurs have that new assistant coach - oh, what's his name - something like "Duncan" I think, and he's supposed to be pretty good at the big man stuff like rebounding. So they say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blkX8gSqa0E

Emperor
10-25-2019, 03:28 AM
Julius Randle killed him.

Julius Randle kills most people.

pookenstein
10-25-2019, 04:55 AM
The obvious solution is giving him one year contracts, so he never has to play second seasons...
;-)

BillMc
10-25-2019, 05:01 AM
The obvious solution is giving him one year contracts, so he never has to play second seasons...
;-)
:lol

Coach X
10-25-2019, 05:07 AM
Nice find! Thank you

Liles seems the kind of personality and style of playing that fits into San Antonio culture but to me, two preseason games and one regular season vs the Knicks aren't enough to assess his value for this team.

Let's wait for his next 5 games at least and we can have a first impression opinion. Later on, we should wait until game 20 aprox to make an assessment not only of him but of everybody else in this season's roster.

monty4329
10-25-2019, 08:29 AM
We often forget that they are little older than kids. Some mature fast, most mature later, as individuals and as players. The talent is there, maybe he is eventually becoming an adult and working in the right way. The talent is there -he has way more than Poeltl, for instance. He can very well be a nice "surprise" in Spurs season.

In the past, players were entering the NBA at 22 after years of organized basketball, taught to them by competent coaches. It is for them much more difficult now, where they go the NBA at 19 and they are taught full-time only what it takes to land a contract and to hide flaws. Once they face an obstacle or an injury, many cannot recover. That might have been the case with Lyles, and now maybe he has settled enough to be able to use his talent in a positive way.

SpurSpike
10-25-2019, 08:33 AM
So i was browsing google for Spurs news and i noticed that this article was in the list of top stories when you search Spurs in google. First time iv seen a spurstalk article pop up on there, looks like your getting more recognition!

Dex
10-25-2019, 09:03 AM

Even if we just get one good season out of him, I'll call it a win lol

BillMc
10-25-2019, 09:06 AM
Basically we’ll hate him next year.

Some subset of ST will always hate a Spurs player no matter how good or bad eventually. Except for Timmy, of course, who is rightfully sainted.

ZeusWillJudge
10-25-2019, 09:10 AM

I never thought about that, but you could be right. I hope you're right.

We often forget that they are little older than kids. Some mature fast, most mature later, as individuals and as players. The talent is there, maybe he is eventually becoming an adult and working in the right way. The talent is there -he has way more than Poeltl, for instance. He can very well be a nice "surprise" in Spurs season.

Damn, lots of fair minds working today. Another good point.

ZeusWillJudge
10-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Hopefully he becomes more reliable with that 3pt shot.

I don't know if you read it, but last season when he shot 25% from 3P overall, he still shot 41% from the corner. I hope Pop tries to get him a few looks from the corner, to help him start feeling it. I know that's easier said than done, but he's tall enough to get a shot off if there's not somebody up in his jersey.

The one other thing that's worth mentioning about his 3P shooting - over the last three seasons he took well more than 40% of his shots from beyond the arc. That's awfully high for a big man. I would blame it on him, but Denver also had Hernangomez taking over 40% of his shots from 3P. So some of his shooting problems in Denver may have had to do with the way they were using him. If he buys into the Spurs' good-better-best philosophy, the quality of his shots should improve and that should help his 3P% as well.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-25-2019, 09:52 AM
If the Spurs turn him into a solid contributor to a winning team Pop should get a raise. I've talked to Denver fans who were surprised the Spurs even wanted to add him to the roster, much less make him a starter.

RD2191
10-25-2019, 10:13 AM
I don't trust him. He'll be bitching before the season is over. You heard it here first.

exstatic
10-25-2019, 10:24 AM
I don't trust him. He'll be bitching before the season is over. You heard it here first.

He can't afford to. I don't expect any cosmic change, but when you're on your last NBA chance, falling off of your rookie first round contract unwanted, you keep your mouth shut. I think he's probably immature, but he's not an idiot, and only an idiot wouldn't pick up on the situation that he finds himself it now.

ZeusWillJudge
10-25-2019, 10:25 AM

LOL. Well coming from one of the resident experts on bitching, that carries a lot of weight. :lol

Monty was right about most of these guys being kids when they come out. I don't know what you were like at 19, but I sure as hell wasn't all business - and that was thousands of years ago when there weren't as many distractions. Some of them outgrow it. And I don't think it's out of the question that Duncan could help with that.

But if he starts bitching, I've taken note that you said it first. :tu

toki9
10-25-2019, 10:35 AM
This is an interesting article from the Nuggets blog about Lyles last year. Basically, he could not play with Jokic at all (too duplicative?). I think he also dealt with some injuries as well.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/12/27/18156786/the-denver-nuggets-have-a-big-decision-looming-with-trey-lyles

RD2191
10-25-2019, 10:50 AM
He can't afford to. I don't expect any cosmic change, but when you're on your last NBA chance, falling off of your rookie first round contract unwanted, you keep your mouth shut. I think he's probably immature, but he's not an idiot, and only an idiot wouldn't pick up on the situation that he finds himself it now.

Sure hope you're right. His career is over if he fucks it up here. Hopefully his head is on right this time around.

BillMc
10-25-2019, 10:59 AM

What exactly was he bitching about in Utah and Denver? I read he didn't like Salt Lake City. Well, SA is a bit different.

Millennial_Messiah
10-25-2019, 11:16 AM
He's the starting power forward? Hopefully he can become as good as Tim Duncan and properly fill those shoes, tbh.

GusT15
10-25-2019, 11:16 AM
What exactly was he bitching about in Utah and Denver? I read he didn't like Salt Lake City. Well, SA is a bit different.

Practice,sir....

He didn't like long practices...

Jefferson: “I liked playing in Utah. I really did.”
Lyles: “Who was your coach then?”
Jefferson: “I had Tyrone Corbin.”
Lyles, grumbling: “So y’all didn’t practice? Y’all didn’t do nothing, yeah. See, we had practice every day (under Quin Snyder). I thought I was in Kentucky again.”
Jefferson, sarcastically: “You had practice every day? Oh, sorry for making you work hard. Sorry. What’s wrong with working hard, Trey?”
Lyles: “I didn’t say nothing about working hard. Three-hour practices? C’mon now.”

https://www.deseret.com/2018/4/3/20627163/former-utah-jazz-player-trey-lyles-rips-on-utah-quin-snyder-s-practices

SpurSpike
10-25-2019, 11:20 AM

Really cool find. Good to see he holds Duncan in such high esteem (who doesn't lol) but still he seems to have a real genuine respect for our GOAT. Hopefully playing under him really brings out his potential. Trey is seeming more and more like a diamond in the rough, may just need to be cut and polished to bring out the shine!

BillMc
10-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Practice,sir....

He didn't like long practices...

https://www.deseret.com/2018/4/3/20627163/former-utah-jazz-player-trey-lyles-rips-on-utah-quin-snyder-s-practices

I mean we're talkin' about practice. Not a game. Practice, man. Practice.

phxspurfan
10-25-2019, 11:37 AM
Everybody there on Saturday better cheer on Bertans!

They should make a tribute video

phxspurfan
10-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Really cool find. Good to see he holds Duncan in such high esteem (who doesn't lol) but still he seems to have a real genuine respect for our GOAT. Hopefully playing under him really brings out his potential. Trey is seeming more and more like a diamond in the rough, may just need to be cut and polished to bring out the shine!

He does have that Young Timmy vibe, let’s see him work under the coach and find out his true potential

ceperez
10-25-2019, 12:36 PM
Well, he's got Tim Duncan as his coach so he better learn how to play like him!!

Tim in his last season plays 24 mins per game. Looks like Lyles is getting similar playing time!

sasaint
10-25-2019, 01:16 PM

AI, practice with a legend who you really respect might be a little different from practice with some schlub assistant coach.

BatManu20
10-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Everybody there on Saturday better cheer on Bertans!

They should make a tribute video

Davis gonna drop 20+ on us tomorrow tbh.

phxspurfan
10-25-2019, 07:58 PM

Hope he drops 50. We deserve it.

dbestpro
10-25-2019, 08:12 PM
Poetl is being sandbagged to keep his salary low for next year. This is the Spurs way.

ZeusWillJudge
10-25-2019, 08:15 PM

He's gonna try, for sure.

Hope he drops 50. We deserve it.

The Spurs didn't do anything wrong. Ask if I'd trade Bertans for Morris, on the basis of talent alone, and I'd still say yes. I understand Bertans wanting to prove a point, but if Morris hadn't been a scumbag, it was the right move.

DPG21920
10-25-2019, 10:38 PM
If he can’t shoot it’s all for not and that’s why he’s mainly sucked. I hated the signing but even with bottom level expectations I’m happy that he’s not JR Smithing like he used to which coupled with bad defense tanked his units. Now? He’s at least trying on the defensive end and boarding and trying to bring value without the ball.

He’s not ever going to be someone who demands touches so if he can embrace that and just shoot when open? He has his niche.

BackHome
10-25-2019, 11:20 PM
He is way better then JR or Camelo but still need to see more of him before believe the hype.

ceperez
10-26-2019, 04:26 AM
If he can’t shoot it’s all for not and that’s why he’s mainly sucked. I hated the signing but even with bottom level expectations I’m happy that he’s not JR Smithing like he used to which coupled with bad defense tanked his units. Now? He’s at least trying on the defensive end and boarding and trying to bring value without the ball.

He’s not ever going to be someone who demands touches so if he can embrace that and just shoot when open? He has his niche.

Unlike Kyle Anderson, he's not afraid to shoot if he has to.

jermaine
10-26-2019, 05:59 AM
Its 24hrs in a day an he complained about 3hrs to make you better so you could get more millions!?! While school teachers deal with these disrespectful ass kids 8hrs(not counting after hr programs or grading papers) an making bullshit pay. Americans priorities are fucked up.

SpursFan0728
10-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Good read. Thanks for the analysis as always.

cd021
10-26-2019, 08:58 AM
It really comes down his shooting. If he hits closer to 38% and does other things besides bombings 3s then he has a shot at staying a starter.

If not, wouldn't be shocked to see Carroll in that role. He was better than Lyle's last season as as stretch 4.

rascal
10-26-2019, 10:15 AM

It shows a lack of passion for the game.