PDA

View Full Version : Number 31 ... oh, man.

PaulTiberius
11-01-2005, 10:11 PM
I didn't realize Van Exel was going to take Malik's number. That's kind of shabby.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I haven't been online here since the playoffs.

Say what you will about Malik's value at the end, the trade was obviously a good thing when all was said and done and Nazr put on a good show in the playoffs. But I really didn't want to see his number taken by somebody new right away.

atlfan25
11-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Hahahha

That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles

TheSuckUp
11-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Malik will always be a Spur.

T Park
11-01-2005, 10:15 PM
oh my fucking god.

Grow up.

Malik Rose doesnt need the number retired, or "reserved" for a while.

This number bullshit is out of hand.

Keep kickin ass Van Exel.

Keep 31.

Sense
11-01-2005, 10:23 PM
oh my fucking god.

Grow up.

Malik Rose doesnt need the number retired, or "reserved" for a while.

This number bullshit is out of hand.

Keep kickin ass Van Exel.

Keep 31.

I agree for once.

JoeChalupa
11-01-2005, 10:26 PM
I concur.

genghisrex
11-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Now you know how I felt when Malik Rose took former Spur Sven Nater's #31.

:depressed

Wait, that's not true.

http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/images/smilies/none.gif

PaulTiberius
11-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Now you know how I felt when Malik Rose took former Spur Sven Nater's #31.

:depressed
http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/images/smilies/none.gif

Ha! Huh? Who?

Remember Nagele Knight? Didn't he wear #31?

exstatic
11-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Worst thread ever. You realize that Malik isn't even wearing 31 in NY, don't you? He's gone to 13. Are you going to complain when NY dumps his salary and someone else takes NY's 13?

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Props to a man who was a big help in winning two NBA championships, regardless of whatever happens to his number.

How soon Spurs fans forget.

angel_luv
11-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Malik couldn't be 31 in New York. Someone already had it. I think that is why he inverted and got 13.

I thought I would be really upset about Nick having Malik's old number. But it is kind of nice to have the number still active on the roster. It reminds me of Malik. =)

Sense
11-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Props to a man who was a big help in winning two NBA championships, regardless of whatever happens to his number.

How soon Spurs fans forget.

I don't forget, but I also remember how bad he screwed us up so many times...

those seem to overshadow it, there are reasons why he got traded....... do you realize that?

Tobias
11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I remember the Malik #31 retirement talk...

..oh wait. That NEVER HAPPEND.

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't forget, but I also remember how bad he screwed us up so many times...

those seem to overshadow it, there are reasons why he got traded....... do you realize that?

Yeah it was horrible when he threw that errant pass in a February game at the Clippers or whatever. The man showed up when it was winning time. He may or may not deserve a jersey retirement, but he definitely deserves some respect for what he did when it was winning time.

exstatic
11-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I respect Malik for what he did. I don't respect people who are crying over his number being worn by someone else, and a pretty good player in his own right. Move on, people. Nothing left to see here.

Sense
11-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Yeah it was horrible when he threw that errant pass in a February game at the Clippers or whatever. The man showed up when it was winning time. He may or may not deserve a jersey retirement, but he definitely deserves some respect for what he did when it was winning time.

During winning time, everyone shines...

I clearly remember what happened during the Laker series in 2004....

the guy practically screwed tons of chances for us during those games.

SequSpur
11-01-2005, 11:15 PM
:lol

DisplacedSpursFan
11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Malik is a great SA guy, but I was VERY happy about that trade. He made some great contributions over the years but it was more than time for a trade.

As of now, when I see 31, I think Van Exel.

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2005, 11:21 PM
During winning time, everyone shines...

I clearly remember what happened during the Laker series in 2004....

the guy practically screwed tons of chances for us during those games.

That's revisionist history at its finest.

ro_50
11-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Malik is Knick, please move on.

Geez, its not like he was a hall of famer.

He was a tremendous role player who played w/ heart.

Geez.

hussker
11-01-2005, 11:51 PM
I didn't realize Van Exel was going to take Malik's number. That's kind of shabby.

LATE!!!!

samikeyp
11-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Negele Knight wore #32 he was here when Sean was in Detroit.

ZStomp
11-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Malik couldn't be 31 in New York. Someone already had it. I think that is why he inverted and got 13.

I thought I would be really upset about Nick having Malik's old number. But it is kind of nice to have the number still active on the roster. It reminds me of Malik. =)

How did you get home so quickly?

Friscospur
11-02-2005, 12:17 AM
van "X" will finally do that number some justice...

T Park
11-02-2005, 12:57 AM
I respect Malik for what he did. I don't respect people who are crying over his number being worn by someone else, and a pretty good player in his own right. Move on, people. Nothing left to see here.

Amen.

We don't forget, but we have moved on.

Time for you too to move on Marcus.

Mario Elie had great clutch plays for us, but I dont remember anyone bitching about Brent Barry having his number.

STeve Kerr was number 4, why should Finley have it?

Sidney Green was solid, why should Duncan have it??

Its a number people, MOVE ON.

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Uh it's not about retiring his # as far as I'm concerned. It's about this little group that likes to go off on the man as if he didn't contribute anything during his time in SA. People tend to forget that for five seasons the big rotation was TD/DRob/Malik with Malik filling in often and quite well for DRob, even closing out games. Malik was huge during both the '99 and '03 title runs. Spurs fans wet themselves when Brent Barry hits a couple of regular season jumpers but then they dump on Rose as if he was dogshit. I think an appreciation for Malik's game serves as the best litmus test for whether a fan understands the game or they think what matters most is that a big be 6'10" tall.

SequSpur
11-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Malik sucks.

STFU and get over it.

mattyc
11-02-2005, 02:18 AM
MB is right on this topic as usual. We as Spur Fans pride ourselves as being the best fans in the league.

I'm not fussed with the number business, but Malik was arguably one of the most influential and important players to our franchise. Regardless of some poor games, he's featured in 2.5 of our only title runs. Malik always showed respect to the franchise and it's sad that many fans don't return it.

Willinsa
11-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Malik sucks.

STFU and get over it.

I agree 100% and Avery sucks also.

T Park
11-02-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm not fussed with the number business, but Malik was arguably one of the most influential and important players to our franchise. Regardless of some poor games, he's featured in 2.5 of our only title runs. Malik always showed respect to the franchise and it's sad that many fans don't return it.

So we shouldn't have given Van Exel the number 31, because we have to "remember" Malik?

Uhhhh ok.

No one is discounting what Rose brought to the table, but were just saying, someone else has the number, MOVE ON.

T Park
11-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I agree 100% and Avery sucks also.

Oh please.

Rose and Avery Johnson did not suck.

Without them there is no 99 and 03.

Dont ruin the point some of us are making children.

wildbill2u
11-02-2005, 04:16 PM

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I haven't been online here since the playoffs.

Say what you will about Malik's value at the end, the trade was obviously a good thing when all was said and done and Nazr put on a good show in the playoffs. But I really didn't want to see his number taken by somebody new right away.

You were thinking of retiring the jersey in the rafters, maybe? There's no crying in basketball.

Extra Stout
11-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Malik was a valuable reserve for many years. Godspeed to him.

But chafing over somebody else wearing #31 is absurd.

Did anybody get bent out of shape when Antoine Carr got Larry Kenon's #35?

50 cent
11-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Malik had a lot of heart and I respect him tremendously. He contributed a lot to the Spurs success.

But why in the hell are people sentimental about his freakin' number?

Ishta
11-02-2005, 05:07 PM
I loved Malik...I am ok with someone like Nick the Quick taking his number I'm ok with that.What I am not ok with is people(generalizing here so I don't get beat up :lol ) acting like Malik was totally horrible all of the time. Which is not true. He had some pretty fucked up moments, but all in all represented the silver and black well.

spur219
11-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Now you know how I felt when Tim Duncan took Dominique Wilkins number

Mr. Peabody
11-02-2005, 05:27 PM

Where's Don Harris when you need him? He would take up this cause and devote an entire week to it on his radio show.
________
Ecigarettes (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

T Park
11-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Ill tell you what.

I was pretty damn pissed when Jason Hart took Rod Strickland's number 1.

A Serbian Beast
11-02-2005, 06:03 PM
http://nbainfo.dk/fusion_images/darko_jer.jpg

mattyc
11-02-2005, 08:09 PM
So we shouldn't have given Van Exel the number 31, because we have to "remember" Malik?

Uhhhh ok.

No one is discounting what Rose brought to the table, but were just saying, someone else has the number, MOVE ON.
Read what I wrote again T Park.

"I'm not fussed with the number business". In other words, I don't give a stuff that NVE has 31. I just don't see why people need to jump all over Malik like a dog whenever the topic comes up.

leemajors
11-02-2005, 09:20 PM
you sound like they handed van exel malik's rings along with the number.

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Frankly I wouldn't retire Rose's number (but I would retire AJ's and Bowen's).

mattyc is on point. This is about all of the dumping on Rose as if he wasn't a major part of those title teams and did not contribute like he did during his time in SA. You can pretty much tell who knows the game and who doesn't by their comments on Rose.

leemajors
11-02-2005, 10:00 PM
no, you can tell someone's personal preferences on players by their comments on rose. rose's play his last year and a half landed him on the bench. san antonio did very well to trade him, it led to a championship. rose contributed to those title teams, but his contributions did not help last year.