PDA

View Full Version : Playing young players

duncan2k5
10-26-2019, 08:51 PM
The only teams that have the luxury of benching promising young players are championship caliber teams that don't want to mess up their chemistry...

We aren't NEAR that... Why do we bench our young guys?

Like I said in the game thread, if Hachimura was on the Spurs, there's no way he would get consistent playing time...

Jokic would have probably been given the Lonnie treatment and wouldn't have grown into arguably the best center in the league... No WAY brogdon would have won rookie of the year... No WAY Luka (mavs version) would have started last year... Might not have even played... But we look at the young guys on other teams and marvel at their young stars...

U really think Pop would have played Siakam enough minutes to become who he is? If we had Siakam, he probably would have been like Metu.

Sometimes teams are developing one young player away from being a contender (see nuggets/ raptors / bucks/ etc)

Wtf do we have to lose? Currently at BEST we are first/ second round fodder...

itzsoweezee
10-26-2019, 08:54 PM
This is exactly why the Spurs need to get rid of DeMar. Lonnie and the others are not going to get playing time with this veteran scrub around

KobesAchilles
10-26-2019, 09:01 PM
Where’s the dummy who was arguing with me about Pop playing Marco over Lonnie? He said it was a good thing lol. Now we have Pop playing Mills over White. But but Mills brings so much vet experience to the game :cry Too bad he doesn’t bring defense and point guard play.

alpha_HaZE
10-26-2019, 09:22 PM
Pop has no prob playing young players; Manu, Tony, Kawhi and DJ (before he got injured) played on their rookie seasons. Trey is starting for us and he is young player, Jakob is also young, Bryn, Derrick and the list goes on.

MultiTroll
10-26-2019, 09:29 PM
^ Were there better more promising younger players sitting on the bench during those times?
No.

RC_Drunkford
10-26-2019, 09:59 PM
it's Pop. He's a senile idiot. We should be used to it by now. If the player is over 35 he'll play no matter how bad he is. If it's a rookie, he can watch from the bench. Talent doesn't matter, that's not the criteria that determines playing time in his "system"

Dhbsr555
10-26-2019, 10:07 PM
The problem is playing mills and beli it’s killing our defense we have giving up 110 + in each of the last two. Scoring isn’t the issue we have over 240 points scored. We need to lock down on d

duncan2k5
10-26-2019, 10:13 PM
Pop has no prob playing young players; Manu, Tony, Kawhi and DJ (before he got injured) played on their rookie seasons. Trey is starting for us and he is young player, Jakob is also young, Bryn, Derrick and the list goes on.

Don't bring up those guys... This pop is different from the pop that coached the big 3...thats very clear...

And I'm talking about actual playing time like most rookies get... Being part of the rotation every game... No spurs draft pick knows whether they're gonna play or not in the first couple years... The only reason he played white last year was because he literally had no choice with every point guard getting injured

Lyles has been in the league for four years... That's VERY different from giving a rookie or a second year player consistent playing time

r0drig0lac
10-26-2019, 10:14 PM

lol ok

duncan2k5
10-26-2019, 10:15 PM
The problem is playing mills and beli it’s killing our defense we have giving up 110 + in each of the last two. Scoring isn’t the issue we have over 240 points scored. We need to lock down on d

The guy had freaking patty mills guarding Bradley Beal for the final play of the game... Even I could guard Beal better than patty did on that play

Dhbsr555
10-26-2019, 10:20 PM
The guy had freaking patty mills guarding Bradley Beal for the final play of the game... Even I could guard Beal better than patty did on that play
Pop can’t put Murray on Beal for the last play of the game. I use to think highly of pop.. but it’s like he is on drugs. And not the good kind. His decision making is well I don’t have to elaborate.

tbdog
10-26-2019, 10:36 PM
Pop can’t put Murray on Beal for the last play of the game. I use to think highly of pop.. but it’s like he is on drugs. And not the good kind. His decision making is well I don’t have to elaborate.

This is the difference between people who watch the game and people who think they watch the game. You're the later. Murray was guarding Beal. Mills was guarding Isiah. If Mill's doesn't switch, Beal is wide open for the win. Great decision by Mills, and later Murray recovered to contest the drive.

https://i.imgur.com/v0OjgYa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rw951jk.jpg

R. DeMurre
10-26-2019, 10:38 PM
Also, when the Spurs needed to shed salary, why chose one of the the best three point & +/- guys, who actually performed well in a limited necessary role rather than one of the three or more unnecessary excess guards? There are nine guards. It makes no sense.

cd98
10-26-2019, 10:47 PM
Kawhi played right from the start. Pop will play these guys if he thinks they are ready.

tbdog
10-26-2019, 10:47 PM
Also, when the Spurs needed to shed salary, why chose one of the the best three point & +/- guys, who actually performed well in a limited necessary role rather than one of the three or more unnecessary excess guards? There are nine guards. It makes no sense.

Caroll, Gay, Morris would make it hard for Bertans to get minutes. Atm, Walker is the odd man out on the wing. Even if Beli was dump instead and Walker became in the rotation, who is behind Walker? So it kinda made sense to dump Bertans in this situation.

phxspurfan
10-26-2019, 11:18 PM
Weird to argue this on a night when we got lit up by a motivated Bert, a hero mode Beal and a typical outside performance from Ish Smith. We needed every last veteran play and that’s what we got to squeak out a win. If we played random young scrubs major minutes we lose this game by 10 and Bert drops 30.

J_Paco
10-26-2019, 11:23 PM
it's Pop. He's a senile idiot. We should be used to it by now. If the player is over 35 he'll play no matter how bad he is. If it's a rookie, he can watch from the bench. Talent doesn't matter, that's not the criteria that determines playing time in his "system"

Um, doesn't Lyles playing over Carroll complete invalidate your entire (stupid) argument?

Only bad teams just gift young players minutes which obviously isn't Pop's style for better or worse.

Also, I want to see Lonnie supplant Marco and/or Patty too, yet I realize there is 80 games left and plenty of time for him to show out and take their minutes away.

Nah, instead I can overreact and cry like a bitch like all the trolls and fake "fans" on ST.

Genovaswitness
10-26-2019, 11:28 PM
I’m glad we won but you’re right. we need to at least be attempting to integrate the young guns. it’s fucking ridiculous. I don’t care that we’re 2-0 knicks and wiz are fucking dogshit we should beat them

Dhbsr555
10-26-2019, 11:33 PM
It’s time to start white and Carroll we need better defense

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-27-2019, 12:25 AM
When I see a thread started by Duncan2k5 I know it’s going to suck ass. Thankfully this thread did not disappoint.

KobesAchilles
10-27-2019, 12:38 AM
This is the difference between people who watch the game and people who think they watch the game. You're the later. Murray was guarding Beal. Mills was guarding Isiah. If Mill's doesn't switch, Beal is wide open for the win. Great decision by Mills, and later Murray recovered to contest the drive.

Pop shouldn’t have played Mills in the first place in that situation. We needed a stop and he put in one of our 2 worst defenders. Bad coaching tbh and we are lucky it didn’t go to overtime.

tbdog
10-27-2019, 01:01 AM
Who do we put in instead? Walker? Beli? Forbes? Remember they are marking Isiah.

alpha_HaZE
10-27-2019, 01:04 AM
Don't bring up those guys... This pop is different from the pop that coached the big 3...thats very clear...

And I'm talking about actual playing time like most rookies get... Being part of the rotation every game... No spurs draft pick knows whether they're gonna play or not in the first couple years... The only reason he played white last year was because he literally had no choice with every point guard getting injured

Lyles has been in the league for four years... That's VERY different from giving a rookie or a second year player consistent playing time

Derrick White saw significant minutes in his second year, you are just a hater!

timvp
10-27-2019, 01:49 AM
Pop starting 23-year-old Trey Lyles while 40-year-old proven veteran DeMarre Carroll gets DNP-CDs.

:cry Why doesn't Pop play young players :cry

Pop is the best coach of all-time in terms of integrating young talent. Not even close, tbh. Sure, there's still plenty to complain about but his resume in this regard tops any other coach who has had prolonged success.

spurraider21
10-27-2019, 02:30 AM
Pop starting 23-year-old Trey Lyles while 40-year-old proven veteran DeMarre Carroll gets DNP-CDs.

Pop is the best coach of all-time in terms of integrating young talent. Not even close, tbh. Sure, there's still plenty to complain about but his resume in this regard tops any other coach who has had prolonged success.
couldn't find a single minute for scola tbh

Dancelot
10-27-2019, 03:15 AM
I bet when these kids hear their name called when the spurs pick them they’re just saying to themselves “well fuck”.

poopbox
10-27-2019, 03:30 AM

Had to play Timmy...DRob was breaking down and Timmy was the number 1 pick and looked like an all time great out the gate...

Had to play Tony...otherwise it was going to be Terry Porter...

Had to play Manu...Steve Smith was old...Devin Brown was erratic...and Stephen jackson couldn't play 48 minutes a game...bonus points for trying to neuter manu game...lucky for us manu had the balls to keep playing basketball the way pop didn't want him to...

Had to play Kawhi...Danny was the only other perimeter defender we had on the team...

Had to play Dejounte...Parker was at the end of his career AND suffered a devastating injury...

Had to play Derrick White last year...Dejounte got hurt and Derozan was new to the team...

Had to play Forbes last year...Dejounte, Derrick, and Lonnie got hurt...Forbes was all that was left...

Had to play Lonnie...oh wait he actually hasn't played Lonnie...because pop only ever plays young players when he doesn't have a choice...and he has the option of playing mills and marco in front of him...so that is what he is doing...

Pop's overrall body of work? No doubt an all time great...over the last 3 years? Been pretty severely outcoached by just about everybody...

Who do you think is the worst coach in the nba? Then ask yourself if that coach was up 10 would he put a lineup of 3 of his 4 worst defenders on the floor? Cause that is exactly what Pop did and that is exactly why this was a 2 point game instead of a blowout...

Beckywiththegoodplays can't grab the wheel soon enough...

Splits
10-27-2019, 03:38 AM
Had to play Timmy...DRob was breaking down and Timmy was the number 1 pick and looked like an all time great out the gate...

Had to play Manu...Steve Smith was old...Devin Brown was erratic...and Stephen jackson couldn't play 48 minutes a game...bonus points for trying to neuter manu game...lucky for us manu had the balls to keep playing basketball the way pop didn't want him to...

Had to play Kawhi...Danny was the only other perimeter defender we had on the team...

Had to play Dejounte...Parker was at the end of his career AND suffered a devastating injury...

Had to play Derrick White last year...Dejounte got hurt and Derozan was new to the team...

Had to play Forbes last year...Dejounte, Derrick, and Lonnie got hurt...Forbes was all that was left...

Had to play Lonnie...oh wait he actually hasn't played Lonnie...because pop only ever plays young players when he doesn't have a choice...and he has the option of playing mills and marco in front of him...so that is what he is doing...

Pop's overrall body of work? No doubt an all time great...over the last 3 years? Been pretty severely outcoached by just about everybody...

Who do you think is the worst coach in the nba? Then ask yourself if that coach was up 10 would he put a lineup of 3 of his 4 worst defenders on the floor? Cause that is exactly what Pop did and that is exactly why this was a 2 point game instead of a blowout...

Your takes belong in your handle

RC_Drunkford
10-27-2019, 05:19 AM
Um, doesn't Lyles playing over Carroll complete invalidate your entire (stupid) argument?

Only bad teams just gift young players minutes which obviously isn't Pop's style for better or worse.

Also, I want to see Lonnie supplant Marco and/or Patty too, yet I realize there is 80 games left and plenty of time for him to show out and take their minutes away.

Nah, instead I can overreact and cry like a bitch like all the trolls and fake "fans" on ST.

I'm obviously exaggerating but we all know that Pop has a history of leaving the superior young player on the bench while playing the worse veteran

duncan2k5
10-27-2019, 06:09 AM

MILLS SHOULD NOT BE IN ANY FINAL DEFENSIVE STAND... it doesn't matter who he guards, he will get cooked... They will either switch to get Mills on their best player (which they did and it worked... Beal passed him like no one was there) or whoever mills is guarding initially will cook him themselves (like Isiah was doing)

duncan2k5
10-27-2019, 06:13 AM
Kawhi played right from the start. Pop will play these guys if he thinks they are ready.

Kawhi played because there wasn't anyone that could take his minutes that year... Additionally that was 2012...pop wasn't fully senile yet... This pop wouldn't have thought Luka Doncic was ready, sadly... U really thought pop would have given Luka the green light that the mavs did last year? Nevertheless play him? The first wild stepback Luka did, he would have been sitting on the bench for weeks

duncan2k5
10-27-2019, 06:18 AM
Weird to argue this on a night when we got lit up by a motivated Bert, a hero mode Beal and a typical outside performance from Ish Smith. We needed every last veteran play and that’s what we got to squeak out a win. If we played random young scrubs major minutes we lose this game by 10 and Bert drops 30.

On a night then their rookie torched us....is they had that mentality u have, they would have benched him and they would have been blown out by 20...what exactly do we have to lose? We aren't NEAR being a contending team... Let our young kids develop so by time we get the trash gone, we have a good framework of talent Saminic was drafted in the same range as many breakout stars like Kawhi and Giannis... Yet he won't get consistent minutes this year... He may not even play... What exactly are we afraid of missing out on?

duncan2k5
10-27-2019, 06:19 AM
Derrick White saw significant minutes in his second year, you are just a hater!

He was planted on the bench until everyone was injured... Nice try

objective
10-27-2019, 06:37 AM
Jokic would not have been buried on the bench.

He'd still be Europe like Milutinov.

Coach X
10-27-2019, 06:43 AM
At this stage of recent NBA history, are we going to question how Popovich and the Spurs develope young talent?

https://gph.is/2mJRUNChttps://media.giphy.com/media/pPhyAv5t9V8djyRFJH/giphy.gif

tbdog
10-27-2019, 08:38 AM
MILLS SHOULD NOT BE IN ANY FINAL DEFENSIVE STAND... it doesn't matter who he guards, he will get cooked... They will either switch to get Mills on their best player (which they did and it worked... Beal passed him like no one was there) or whoever mills is guarding initially will cook him themselves (like Isiah was doing)

There was no one else to put in to check Isiah. Not Forbes and not Walker. Mills made the correct switch, took away the 3 and force Beal go inside. Who would you prefer in this situation?

Dhbsr555
10-27-2019, 09:25 AM
There was no one else to put in to check Isiah. Not Forbes and not Walker. Mills made the correct switch, took away the 3 and force Beal go inside. Who would you prefer in this situation?
I think we all know beli is the next kawhi

Pavlov
10-27-2019, 09:33 AM
At this stage of recent NBA history, are we going to question how Popovich and the Spurs develope young talent?

https://gph.is/2mJRUNChttps://media.giphy.com/media/pPhyAv5t9V8djyRFJH/giphy.gifkvetchers gotta kvetch

cjw
10-27-2019, 09:40 AM

https://gph.is/2mJRUNChttps://media.giphy.com/media/pPhyAv5t9V8djyRFJH/giphy.gif

The guys who do sit in front of their parents’ basement TV playing 2K all day and think young players magically become good, and you can play nothing but young players.

Pop’s success with Murray and White ... yes understand they’re each playing limited minutes right now but remember competition and it’s a long season ... should be enough of a sign he can develop late picks.

jjktkk
10-27-2019, 09:54 AM

How many posters on here have to call you out for this shitty thread you created? You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Move on and start another stupid, fucking thread.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-27-2019, 10:20 AM
yes PATFO is well known for their inability to develop players

Russ
10-27-2019, 10:21 AM
The only teams that have the luxury of benching promising young players are championship caliber teams that don't want to mess up their chemistry...

We aren't NEAR that... Why do we bench our young guys?

Because they want to win now enough to stay viable in small, spoiled market.

Look at the empty prime-level seats every night. It's like a morgue.

Wtf do we have to lose?

See the above.

duncan2k5
10-27-2019, 02:02 PM
The guys who do sit in front of their parents’ basement TV playing 2K all day and think young players magically become good, and you can play nothing but young players.

Pop’s success with Murray and White ... yes understand they’re each playing limited minutes right now but remember competition and it’s a long season ... should be enough of a sign he can develop late picks.

If spurs drafted Jokic and Pop took three years to give him real minutes, yall would say that's a sign that he is great at developing players... When the reality is that he was holding them back from reaching their peak sooner... Murray this year... A lot of these guys would have had wasted years here if they were drafted by the Spurs... U really think pop would have had the wizards' rookie in a regular rotation?

duncan2k5
10-27-2019, 02:03 PM
How many posters on here have to call you out for this shitty thread you created? You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Move on and start another stupid, fucking thread.

I pointed out a fact... U had nothing to reply with... White was benched until everyone was injured... That's a fact

J_Paco
10-27-2019, 03:36 PM

Aren't you just giving context to their decisions? Not actually debunking them at all.

Circumstances dictate when/or how someone is integrated into the rotation. Especially, with a team with such prolonged success.

No, we'll go with your thinking have guys perpetually flounder here like in Phoenix, Atlanta, New Orleans, New York, etc.

alpha_HaZE
10-27-2019, 04:16 PM

He averaged over 27minutes in the playoffs, more than Gay, Mills and Beli, you are just a clown or a fake account.

spurspl
10-27-2019, 04:35 PM
bc spurs must be in playoffs to keep pops streak, i said this before its a big problem of this organization. We dont draft top picks, dont give minutes to young players, dont trade for young guys (best assets we have ever had- kawhi was traded for old shitty ddr but not for f.e ingram ball and hart). Spurs are still in the same place, not moving forward. Hope we miss PO this year and pop retire.

Spur|n|Austin
10-27-2019, 04:37 PM
:pop: "they'll play when they're over themselves"

K...
10-27-2019, 06:11 PM
bc spurs must be in playoffs to keep pops streak, i said this before its a big problem of this organization. We dont draft top picks, dont give minutes to young players, dont trade for young guys (best assets we have ever had- kawhi was traded for old shitty ddr but not for f.e ingram ball and hart). Spurs are still in the same place, not moving forward. Hope we miss PO this year and pop retire.

How do you propose to accomplish this without tanking? It's fine if you want to tank but you didn't say that. It's funny that ball is trash, Ingram has a heart problem, and we got poertle and Keldon with ddr.

Rummpd
10-27-2019, 06:49 PM
Pop is wrong coach to be developing the talented trio.

spurspl
10-28-2019, 04:45 PM
How do you propose to accomplish this without tanking? It's fine if you want to tank but you didn't say that. It's funny that ball is trash, Ingram has a heart problem, and we got poertle and Keldon with ddr.

its obvious that there two ways to accomplish this : by tanking or via trade.
Look how they played last two games. All of them was better in a game than any other our player. U compare poeltle and keldon to ball and ingram??please...

spurraider21
10-28-2019, 04:54 PM
eh, i do think pop tends to sit on younger players and not give them enough minutes early, and then by the time they are somewhat in the rotation near the end of the season, he then sits them out in the playoffs because "they're not ready"... when maybe you could have spent the 82 game regular season as the time to get them ready. even if it costs you a few games in december/january, the team could be better off as you near april/may. many think the 82 game season is excessive, and it is. but one of the perks is that you have a lot of time to get guys experience. its not like football where every single game is pivotal. teams that want to fight for the playoffs cant waste a random week 9 game giving their rookie qb a start over the established vet. but over 82 games, why not tbh?

imo the most glaring example of that was splitter not getting any run in the first round against the grizzlies despite the fact that their bigs were manhandling mcdyess/blair/bonner... and tbh even duncan

in a season where the spurs were the #1 seed by a 4 game margin, yeah, i'm sure glad we got bonner those corporate knowledge minutes in january/february instead of getting splitter more acclimated

felt the same way about derrick white in his rookie year, not that we would have competed against the dubs anyway. lonnie could have gotten some spots over marco last year. etc etc

spurraider21
10-28-2019, 04:57 PM
:lmao most of your post was an abortion but this was a fucking gem

poopbox
10-28-2019, 05:12 PM
Aren't you just giving context to their decisions? Not actually debunking them at all.

Circumstances dictate when/or how someone is integrated into the rotation. Especially, with a team with such prolonged success.

No, we'll go with your thinking have guys perpetually flounder here like in Phoenix, Atlanta, New Orleans, New York, etc.

Giving context to what? timvp said pop does play young players and I pointed out that he only plays young players when he has no choice aka when their is literally no one else on the roster to play the position.

Right now we got a 1st round draft pick sitting on the bench because of a veteran player in front of him. That veteran player is 33 years old, a bad defender, averaging around 4 points a game, and shooting 30 %...

Now...tell me the other nba team who has a 1st round pick sitting on the bench because he can't get playing time over a player in his 30's, playing bad defense, barely scoring, and shooting an atrocious percentage? And when you can't find another team doing it...because no other team is doing it...then answer the question...well why is pop doing it?

The mills and marco tandem got let up all of last year...so why is Pop going back to it? It's not like there is something to discover there? We know exactly what is going to happen when both of those guys are in the game at the same time...quick shots...bad shots...lots of misses...and terrible defense...and now you have a guard in Lonnie who at worst can keep you from playing your worst defensive lineup...but Pop sticks with it? Why? How does a mills and marco lineup help the spurs win?

Why is mills even on this team? Forbes does everything he does bigger stronger faster better cheaper more consistently.

I don't understand how Patty can be so much of a leader when he routinely blows defensive assignments...routinely takes quick shots...never gets to the frreethrow line...gets let up by everybody he guards...like...what exactly is he teaching young players? Who are the players on this team who if Patty got traded would be like "i'm devastated I can't believe this is happening"...

I would think it would be hard to be a leader when your on court production is at worst atroucious and at best inconsistent...but somehow patty pulls it off...

poopbox
10-28-2019, 05:13 PM
:lmao most of your post was an abortion but this was a fucking gem

So you going to point to the parts of my post that wasn't true?