PDA

View Full Version : Official 2019-2020 "why is Pop's pet Wombat out there?" Thread

FkLA
10-26-2019, 11:09 PM
Just a thread to keep track of Pop favoring his pet. Not solely for undeserved minutes. Other inexplicable things (like drawing up plays for him) will be logged too. Feel free to contribute.

Game 2 vs WAS
End of 2nd Qtr - this was White's shift in preseason and in Game 1 vs NY. For some reason Pop decided it was his pet's shift today. Up 9 when he's inserted, journeyman Ish Smith catches fire with Wombat guarding him. Tied game at the half.

Last possession of the game - Up 2, Spurs need a stop to win the game. Pop not only thinks it's a good idea to put his pet in for defense but he puts him on Bradley fucking Beal. With both White and Murray out on the floor and at his disposal no less. After Brook's playcall fails to generate the open look for Bertans, Beal looks to penetrate and predictably blows right past the coach's pet. Luckily, both White and Murray do a great job of helping and deny Beal at the rim.

tbdog
10-26-2019, 11:20 PM
Refer to this that demonstrates that Mills was not guarding Beal, and without the timely switch and forcing Beal center, and Murray contesting the drive, Spurs probably lose. Thank Mills to secure this win.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281622&p=9955848&viewfull=1#post9955848

ducks
10-26-2019, 11:50 PM
Fire pop thread material

FkLA
10-26-2019, 11:51 PM
Refer to this that demonstrates that Mills was not guarding Beal, and without the timely switch and forcing Beal center, and Murray contesting the drive, Spurs probably lose. Thank Mills to secure this win.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281622&p=9955848&viewfull=1#post9955848

Went back and rewatched it. You're right he wasn't on Beal initially, but it also wasn't some high IQ switch. Looks like Pop's instructions were to switch everything. Even more reason for him not to be out there to begin with. He's a known traffic cone on defense. Forbes, Lonnie, even Carroll are all better options in that situation.

Robz4000
10-26-2019, 11:57 PM
Mills at least tries on defense and actually had some good moments. Beli has been a complete disaster on both ends.

tbdog
10-26-2019, 11:59 PM
Went back and rewatched it. You're right he wasn't on Beal initially, but it also wasn't some high IQ switch. Looks like Pop's instructions were to switch everything. Even more reason for him not to be out there to begin with. He's a known traffic cone on defense. Forbes, Lonnie, even Carroll are all better options in that situation.

We haven't seen Carroll. Walker was destroyed earlier in the quarter agaidnt a slow player. Forbes wouldn't guard Isiah effectively. Mills was the right call here and it worked out.

ducks
10-26-2019, 11:59 PM
Mills needs to play well to trade him for a 19 first round pick!

FkLA
10-27-2019, 12:04 AM
We haven't seen Carroll. Walker was destroyed earlier in the quarter agaidnt a slow player. Forbes wouldn't guard Isiah effectively. Mills was the right call here and it worked out.

Right. Because Mills never gets "destroyed" and doesn't struggle guarding everyone (smaller players included). :rolleyes

SpurPadre
10-27-2019, 12:08 AM

White fouled him and got away with it, tbh.

KobesAchilles
10-27-2019, 12:10 AM
Gonna be a busy thread tbh

tbdog
10-27-2019, 01:01 AM
White fouled him and got away with it, tbh.

Absolute foul. Typical refs don't call it at end of games.

tbdog
10-27-2019, 01:03 AM
Right. Because Mills never gets "destroyed" and doesn't struggle guarding everyone (smaller players included). :rolleyes

Didn't get abused this game. Walker let a slower player blow pass him then foukd him from behind. So you want Walker to guard Isiah in a must defend situation?

timvp
10-27-2019, 01:43 AM
I don't mind Mills playing at SG in his old role from back in the Manu days but when he's at PG and Murray and White are on the bench, I really have to wonder what Pop could possibly be thinking.

Game 2 vs WAS
End of 2nd Qtr - this was White's shift in preseason and in Game 1 vs NY. For some reason Pop decided it was his pet's shift today.

Tbh, Pop went with the Patty at PG lineup to end the first half against the Knicks. Thankfully it was only for like two minutes ... but still ... wtf.

You have two really good point guards. You refuse to play them together. Yet for some reason Patty must have a crack at running PG.

spurraider21
10-27-2019, 02:32 AM
I don't mind Mills playing at SG in his old role from back in the Manu days but when he's at PG and Murray and White are on the bench, I really have to wonder what Pop could possibly be thinking.

Tbh, Pop went with the Patty at PG lineup to end the first half against the Knicks. Thankfully it was only for like two minutes ... but still ... wtf.

You have two really good point guards. You refuse to play them together. Yet for some reason Patty must have a crack at running PG.
you're not considering all the hardships patty had to overcome with his aborigine background, his perseverance, leadership, etc

Splits
10-27-2019, 03:41 AM
Ban OP. Or pink at a minimum. He’s an agenda poster with horrific takes.

RC_Drunkford
10-27-2019, 03:56 AM
Mills is always out there in crunch time when the team needs a stop. No surprises here. Pop will never learn to play 5 defenders in that situation

Fireball
10-27-2019, 04:01 AM
playing them over white is just criminal

vavvi
10-27-2019, 07:38 AM
wholeheartedly agree on take 1, disagree on take 2 -- with that WAS lineup Murray-White-Mills was an okay choice for defensive squad

cjw
10-27-2019, 09:13 AM
wholeheartedly agree on take 1, disagree on take 2 -- with that WAS lineup Murray-White-Mills was an okay choice for defensive squad

As much as I pile on Mills like the next guy, he’s a better choice on a last possession especially with IT out there than Lonnie or Carroll (whom we haven’t even seen).

There’s a difference between defense in the flow of a game + defensive potential (Lonnie has that) vs. situational defense on a set play with <6 seconds left. Experience matters then.

Mugen
10-27-2019, 09:55 AM

Corporate knowledge, wouldn't be fair to the team, etc.

It's the same reason Lonnie is relegated to Belinelli gatorade holder when literally every non-Sucker out there knows he's a better player in every facet of the game.

It's just the old man holding everybody in the organization to a certain standard of "getting over himself," everybody in the org except himself of course :lol

timtonymanu
10-27-2019, 09:57 AM
Remember when T Park said Mills would be relegated to Kevin Willis duties this season? Almost got my hopes up.

Mugen
10-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Remember when T Park said Mills would be relegated to Kevin Willis duties this season? Almost got my hopes up.

:lol

Mugen
10-27-2019, 10:00 AM
Good news is that Pop is going to trot Fatty out there again next game to close the 1st half.

Except this time , the Spurs wont be playing some shitty Eastern conference bottom dweller and Lillard and Mccollum are gonna light that little koala up...

I mean shit, Ish Smith was lighting Mills up :lol

dbestpro
10-27-2019, 10:07 AM
The weakest point in Pop's ability to coach has always been his rotations. I am afraid this year, it will become a real problem when it comes to wins and loses.

FkLA
10-27-2019, 10:31 AM
Didn't get abused this game. Walker let a slower player blow pass him then foukd him from behind. So you want Walker to guard Isiah in a must defend situation?

For someone that criticizes others for not "really watching the games" you sure have a skewed of perception of Wombat's defense. He always gets abused. Always.

Go back and watch the end of the 1st half when he (instead of White) checks in for Murray. Ish Smith catches fire and a 10 point lead disappears. Then to start the second half, the coaches have the audacity to say "we're worried about Ish Smith, we have to stay in front him". Its like nah bruh, it's not a team problem. Stop covering for the pet just bc he's a good human being. Don't put Wombat on Smith and Smith goes back to being the journeyman he always has been. Wombat was also on IT in the 2nd half when his washed up ass caught fire IIRC.

RD2191
10-27-2019, 10:37 AM

:lol Mills is fucking trash.

UZER
10-27-2019, 11:46 AM
Dammit too many Pop fluffers. Lonnie had one bad play where he turned his head for a split second and got beat.

Mills has been consistently abused his entire career on defense, yet Pop has always turned a blind eye for “reasons”.

:lol

K...
10-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Why aren't people so accepting that low information spurs fans love them some patty, season tickets are bought by casuals, our two best player s have bad attitudes and don't sell tickets. If you hate mills root for Murray to become a legit Insta whore because he's your only hope to match the charisma of the aussie.

FkLA
11-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Has anybody else noticed how awful Wombat's percentage is on plays drawn up for him?

Every once in a while he's able to set his feet after coming off screens but most of his shots are terrible, low percentage off-balance fadeaways. I have no idea why Pop continues to draw these plays up for him. By my count he's 1/3 on them the past two games (made one against POR). Going to start tracking it cause I swear his percentage has to be in the 10-20% range.

RC_Drunkford
11-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Has anybody else noticed how awful Wombat's percentage is on plays drawn up for him?

Every once in a while he's able to set his feet after coming off screens but most of his shots are terrible, low percentage off-balance fadeaways. I have no idea why Pop continues to draw these plays up for him. By my count he's 1/3 on them the past two games (made one against POR). Going to start tracking it cause I swear his percentage has to be in the 10-20% range.

Mills was never more than a catch-and-shoot player. Somehow he got the green light to shoot off balance off the dribble pull-ups. I guess Pop thinks whatever he does for the Australian national team, he could do in the NBA as well. That clearly isn't the case.

With that being said I looked at Mills' stats on catch-and-shoots, shots off the dribble, etc. and the % is actually the same. Kinda weird, because I see the same thing, he's bricking those off the dribble shots, but hits the majority of his catch-and-shoots.

UZER
11-01-2019, 07:39 PM
Mills was never more than a catch-and-shoot player. Somehow he got the green light to shoot off balance off the dribble pull-ups. I guess Pop thinks whatever he does for the Australian national team, he could do in the NBA as well. That clearly isn't the case

At one time he was really good at that. Pop ruined Mills when he forced him into a backup point guard. He has never fully recovered. Now he’s neither a consistently good shooting guard or solid back up pg. He’s just a random player on the court that’s horrible on defense.

sasaint
11-01-2019, 07:59 PM
At one time he was really good at that. Pop ruined Mills when he forced him into a backup point guard. He has never fully recovered. Now he’s neither a consistently good shooting guard or solid back up pg. He’s just a random player on the court that’s horrible on defense.

That seems right, but I have not seem any hard data to support that hypothesis. When did Patty’s catch-and-shoot percentage peak? When did it head south?

FkLA
11-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Mills was never more than a catch-and-shoot player. Somehow he got the green light to shoot off balance off the dribble pull-ups. I guess Pop thinks whatever he does for the Australian national team, he could do in the NBA as well. That clearly isn't the case.

With that being said I looked at Mills' stats on catch-and-shoots, shots off the dribble, etc. and the % is actually the same. Kinda weird, because I see the same thing, he's bricking those off the dribble shots, but hits the majority of his catch-and-shoots.

Nah, I'm not talking about him pulling up on pnr's. I'm talking about actual plays ran for him. Where he runs around a bunch of screens like he's Steph Curry/Klay Thompson for a quick catch and shoot. Sometimes Pop even has the audacity to run these for him out of timeouts. He is complete ass on them. Been saying it since last year but never kept track of just how awful the percentages are.

i.e.
https://media.giphy.com/media/RKGeW58i7EVcSsgX99/giphy.gif

FkLA
11-01-2019, 08:25 PM
Although he takes some awful shots and is pretty bad on those pull ups too.

ElNono
11-02-2019, 12:08 AM
Repent sinners

timvp
11-02-2019, 01:23 AM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1190506759531585536

:lobt2:

dabom6
11-02-2019, 03:07 AM

Is Pop dabom?

r0drig0lac
11-02-2019, 07:01 AM

48/3

EasyMoney
11-02-2019, 08:00 AM
But when Patty completely shits the bed his mouth is shut

UZER
11-02-2019, 08:03 AM
But when Patty completely shits the bed his mouth is shut

When Patty sucks, he blames Lonnie Walker’s 4 minutes.

Dverde
11-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Remember when the Warriors schemed to stop Patty Mills in the playoffs. Klay was told to shut him down. That has to be his career apex. I think the rest of the league sees he is a bench chucker now. He’ll have several great games, but he has no business being a starter in the league.

weebo
11-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Whatever y'all think of Patty, he's still an NBA baller and y'all just a bunch of whiny bitches :lol

Mugen
11-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Nothing like that November game against a bunch of G Leaguers to prove dem haters wrong :lol

Floyd Pacquiao
11-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Thats patty you know. He'll show up against G leaguers in November and shoot 11% from 3 against Denver.
I literally can't think of anything like this in NBA history where a player got 50 million just for being a good teammate. Thats fucking insane to me.

TimDunkem
11-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Cool. Now on to the rest of the 70+ games of pure shit.

UZER
11-03-2019, 09:25 PM
But 31 against the G league Warriors. :lol

FkLA
11-03-2019, 09:28 PM
:lol 3 different guys scored on him in consecutive possessions after the Spurs had all the momentum and had cut a 19 point deficit into a 6 point game. Missed a three and dribbled the ball of his foot for a turnover on the other end during that same time frame.

timtonymanu
11-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Cool. Now on to the rest of the 70+ games of pure shit.

My dude always ahead of the curve

timtonymanu
11-03-2019, 09:50 PM
But 31 against the G league Warriors. :lol

He made shots over Jordan Poole. Apologize, haters. :cry

Mugen
11-03-2019, 09:51 PM
:rollin

RC_Drunkford
11-03-2019, 09:52 PM
I love it when Mills runs pick and rolls. He trips and loses the ball at least once per game. That pass to Poeltl that went straight to the Lakers was another point guard Patty sighting. Just classic Mills. Then commited 3 quick fouls in the 4th so the Lakers get in the bonus early

ZeusWillJudge
11-03-2019, 09:56 PM
:lol Mills is fucking trash.

Nah, man, she's okay. She's just married to a loser.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/04/43/05/17969503/6/920x920.jpg

Floyd Pacquiao
11-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Hate watching him check in, makes me sick. I could tolerate his face if he was waving his towel at the end of the bench

FkLA
11-03-2019, 10:02 PM
Sucks that he's so durable too. Motherfucker is due for an injury but I'm sure he'll play all 82 again.

Mugen
11-03-2019, 10:05 PM
Sucks that he's so durable too. Motherfucker is due for an injury but I'm sure he'll play all 82 again.

Same could be said for DePression. The Spurs probably get a top 3 seed if that mfer was out for a month or two.

KobesAchilles
11-03-2019, 10:24 PM
My prediction is looking spot on thanks to Patty 50 Mills and Marco Belli and more importantly Pop :lol

ElNono
11-03-2019, 11:41 PM

ugh that nose... and the pointy elbows

Slippy
11-03-2019, 11:45 PM

Patty onto a winner here and she got game too

ZeusWillJudge
11-04-2019, 12:09 AM

That's no reason to call her trash.

FkLA
11-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Didn't see it myself, was about an hour behind live action, and couldn't stomach finishing the game after I checked the boxscore and noticed Wombat finished with 26 minutes, Murray 20, and White 19.

I'm told Wombat closed and predictably got lit up by Trae Young though. Can't wait to hear the excuses for this one.

timtonymanu
11-05-2019, 10:41 PM
Should add Beli to this thread title too. He doesn’t close games like wombat but any time he’s in there is demoralizing to the team. I wasn’t convinced by his 5 points late in the game cause he went back into brick mode soon after

Mugen
11-05-2019, 10:49 PM
Didn't see it myself, was about an hour behind live action, and couldn't stomach finishing the game after I checked the boxscore and noticed Wombat finished with 26 minutes, Murray 20, and White 19.

I'm told Wombat closed and predictably got lit up by Trae Young though. Can't wait to hear the excuses for this one.

I mean it's pretty much the standard Sniffer excuse. DJ and DWhite weren't having good games and tentative on offense so Pop decided to put Patty at point for a spark and more spacing . And just like the 1000 times before and to the surprise of absolutely nobdy, the fat loser ended up getting lit up on defense by one of the best PGs in the league and the offense was still garbage :lol

RC_Drunkford
11-06-2019, 05:59 AM
4th highest paid player on the team. Gotta justify handing out that contract

AussieFanKurt
11-06-2019, 06:00 AM
There should be a thread asking why Belli plays

Kurgan
11-06-2019, 06:01 AM
He's a made man. Seeing him congratulate Murray on his new contract in the Spurs offices confirmed that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-06-2019, 11:15 AM

My thoughts exactly...disgusting. I think I see a mole about 3 inches from her elbow...gross. Trash bin stuff right there. Patty was clearly slumming.

J_Paco
11-06-2019, 11:24 AM

No excuses. Like TiMVP said in the game grades main page, Pop playing Mills on Trae Young is beyond idiotic and asking to lose the game.

I saw Patty played 26 minutes and just shook my head (didn't watch live either). Sadly, amongst the fans and as far a minutes allocation/role Patty is the "new" Matt Bonner.

SMDH

MultiTroll
02-25-2021, 10:13 AM
Bump

Anyone know where the pic of the cuddly wombat is?

MultiTroll
05-03-2021, 10:54 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bb/dd/7b/bbdd7bd909789f86a17057ba536f97f9.jpg
Google produced "Aboriginal image."

MultiTroll
05-03-2021, 10:57 AM
Anyone know if Becky and any of the other yes men / yes women Spurs Wannbe Coaches interning under Pop are being sent here as part of their internship?

Your chance to be 'Chief Wombat Cuddler' (cnn.com) (https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/04/07/chief-wombat-cuddler-daily-hit-newday.cnn/video/playlists/video-zoo/)

MultiTroll
05-03-2021, 07:03 PM
Thats fucking racist man.
Patty is part Aboriginal so you should not be racist towards him.

Also you can make yourself useful by finding the chop with Popped holding Patty Wombat.

TheGreatYacht
05-03-2021, 10:44 PM
Shit’s been happening for the past 5 years :lmao

Tony haters used to call this little scrub The Closer

MultiTroll
05-09-2021, 02:48 PM
https://i1.wp.com/differentville.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Meeting-wombats-at-Sleepy-Burrows-sanctuary.jpg?w=734
Gregg got a haircut.