PDA

View Full Version : Marco Belinelli is averaging 2 points a game on 28% shooting

Kobe'sAchilles
10-27-2019, 01:13 PM
He also hasn't recorded a single block or steal, so he's playing his solid defense as usual. Is there a metric that measures how many points you score vs how many points you give up? Because he's gotta be like -20 in that department.

I've heard people defend Pop for playing him over Lonnie, but serious question, does anybody think Lonnie could play any worse than Marco? Fluffers, get in here and defend your coach

EasyMoney
10-27-2019, 01:20 PM
He just needs more minutes tbh

GusT15
10-27-2019, 01:23 PM
Beli is waaaaaay past his good years.

I remember a decade ago he looked like a superstar in FIBA ball during the summers and like a valuable,yet inconsistent role player in the NBA.

Well,this summer he sucked at FIBA ball so it was only natural that he would suck in an even worse way in the NBA.
If Lonnie makes something with his chance when given to him and is focused on defense/efficient on offense,i can see him taking all of Belinelli's minutes by the allstar break.

Chris
10-27-2019, 01:40 PM
Just need him to make shots for the playoffs. His regular season production doesn't concern me unless it's costing us games.

KDKSpurs24
10-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Just need him to make shots for the playoffs. His regular season production doesn't concern me unless it's costing us games.
You’re not serious are you? Playoffs? Is this how spoiled we are? We need our players to play well enough to MAKE the playoffs first :lol

FkLA
10-27-2019, 01:52 PM
He creates a lot of chaos with all the running around he does and his off balance shots though, OP. That's invaluable. Plus he has big balls. :rolleyes

duncan2k5
10-27-2019, 01:55 PM
Lonnie needs to get over himself first... I'll give it another year or two.... Unless there's a shit ton of injuries and pop's forced to play him

stu scotts eye
10-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Lonnie probably can't get over himself, b/c he's just befuddled since he dominates Bellinelli in practice or on NBA Live..

Play Boban
10-27-2019, 08:20 PM
It’s been 2 games tbh...... :wakeup

We’ll see in a month tbh.

GAustex
10-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Lonnie needs to develop some defensive awareness. If he sucks as bad as Beli in D then pop is going to play Beli.
Last night Lonnie was bad on D.

BackHome
10-27-2019, 08:31 PM
It’s only been two games lol.

spursparker9
10-27-2019, 08:36 PM
His true purpose is to spread the floor. Given his deadly shooter reputation, defenders got to stay with him on 3 points line and hence, spreading the floor

Floyd Pacquiao
10-27-2019, 08:44 PM
He hasn't been an NBA player for a while now. He's never been playable in the playoffs and now he's bad even in the reg season. He's slow, has a shit bball iq, can't guard anyone, can't shoot now. He'll never put the spurs over the top and doesn't have potential to become a star player like Lonnie. He's just another scrub stunting the growth of our young players.

acoelho1
10-27-2019, 08:49 PM
I'm not one to argue with a 5 time champion hall of fame coach but playing Marco over Walker is so frustrating. I doubt this will happen all year and Pop is a believer that young players need to earn their minutes. I'm sure there is some psychological mind game that plays into it as well. We can only be patient. Just imagine how Lonnie feels right now.

sananspursfan21
10-27-2019, 08:55 PM
His only value is 3 point shooting and they’re not falling, he’s worthless to the team.

superbigtime
10-27-2019, 09:03 PM
He has gone the way of Roger Mason. He is plainly a poor choice.

duncan2k5
10-27-2019, 09:18 PM
Lonnie needs to develop some defensive awareness. If he sucks as bad as Beli in D then pop is going to play Beli.
Last night Lonnie was bad on D.

Bro... U have to get consistent playing time to be accustomed to players and situations... U can't shove a young player in a fourth quarter for 5 minutes and expect him to be Kawhi

tbdog
10-27-2019, 09:19 PM
His 3's will fall. He is moving well and has made some niffy passes. Walker needs to be clearly better defender than Beli. He has the tools to be a plus defender but his awareness is poor at this stage. So just having Beli out there to spread the floor is worth it. Plus we know Beli can just get red hot.

GAustex
10-27-2019, 09:23 PM
Bro... U have to get consistent playing time to be accustomed to players and situations... U can't shove a young player in a fourth quarter for 5 minutes and expect him to be Kawhi
It ain’t me holding him out. Pop ain’t gonna play him when he gets lost, or picked off like he does ALL THE TIME. He will go with Beli if they both suck on D. If it were me Beli wouldn’t be on the team.

duncan2k5
10-27-2019, 09:29 PM
It ain’t me holding him out. Pop ain’t gonna play him when he gets lost, or picked off like he does ALL THE TIME. He will go with Beli if they both suck on D. If it were me Beli wouldn’t be on the team.

Beli wont ever move the needle for us...walker can...he needs to play to learn and grow

Genovaswitness
10-27-2019, 09:30 PM
shut the FUCK up. he's gotten over himself

GAustex
10-27-2019, 09:31 PM
Beli wont ever move the needle for us...walker can...he needs to play to learn and grow
I agree with you...there is just one problem
Pop

spursparker9
10-27-2019, 09:48 PM
He has gone the way of Roger Mason. He is plainly a poor choice.

Roger Mason Jr gave us a good christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtRuC0oRTJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4NbhRb862k

phxspurfan
10-27-2019, 10:33 PM
It was mentioned in the game grades but basically he isn’t getting many/any clean looks with the way White and Mills are playing PG.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-28-2019, 03:42 AM
Not defending him, he’s not been good, however, it’s worth noting that the dreaded Mills-Belli combo currently has a net rating of +18.2, which is one of the best on the team in a very tiny sample size.

Starting 5 also have a great net rating 25.2, while the bench 5 which includes Patty and Marco is +18.2. The problematic line-ups include Mills, DDR and Forbes playing together.

vander
10-28-2019, 04:22 AM
Spurs have too many average to below average guys soaking up minutes, and pop hasn't even put Carrol out there yet

need to package Belli, Carrol, picks and maybe even Lyles in a trade; then White, Murray, Forbes, and LW can all get more minutes

RC_Drunkford
10-28-2019, 04:38 AM
It's pretty clear that Walker is a better defender than Belinelli and he proved it in preseason when he played great defense on Harden. A lot of you seem to not have watched that game. Belinelli could never block Harden. I'm not sure he can block anybody in the NBA.

https://youtu.be/RBDAafWjO8U

on offense Lonnie can definitely hit the open 3 and he has to look to get into his pull-up jumper coming off screens. Right now he's to concerned about moving the ball. It's pretty clear that he needs consistent playing time. Belinelli is absolutely useless even when he's hot, he gives up way to many points on the other end

rjv
10-28-2019, 09:36 AM
my own guess was that pop was going to slowly work lonnie into the rotation but had hoped that belli could buy him some time in regards to that process. but with the way marco looks, pop may be forced to move that time line up. if that is what his intention was (is).

r0drig0lac
10-28-2019, 09:58 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/jGeuf0mcBdh3q/giphy.gif

SpursDynasty85
10-28-2019, 10:06 AM
my own guess was that pop was going to slowly work lonnie into the rotation but had hoped that belli could buy him some time in regards to that process. but with the way marco looks, pop may be forced to move that time line up. if that is what his intention was (is).

+1 also hoped Belli would play well enough to return at least a 2nd rounder.

Phenomanul
10-28-2019, 10:19 AM
Beli started horrible last year as well. Law of averages suggests that he can only improve.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
10-28-2019, 10:39 AM
It makes sense that everyone wants Walker to play instead of Marco, but if Marco loses minutes they could just as easily go to Carrol instead.

Spurs4#5
10-28-2019, 10:56 AM
While Marco is terrible at D he at least knows where he’s supposed to be and the rotations. Lonnie looks lost out there so I’d say stick with Marco until Lonnie can figure it out

NASpurs
10-28-2019, 11:13 AM
While Marco is terrible at D he at least knows where he’s supposed to be and the rotations. Lonnie looks lost out there so I’d say stick with Marco until Lonnie can figure it out

Sounds like something you figure out by getting minutes.

RC_Drunkford
10-28-2019, 11:24 AM

Beli definitely doesn't know where to be on defense. Not that it matters if he's there or not

MultiTroll
10-28-2019, 11:38 AM
Beli definitely doesn't know where to be on defense. Not that it matters if he's there or not
If you don't play defense for Pop you get benched.

TDomination
10-28-2019, 11:55 AM

I think Beli does know where to go but unfortunately that does zero for him since he has zero ability to stay in front of anyone, or truly contend a shot. Beli can perfectly rotate on a defensive assignment but yet still get scored on easily. So it doesn't even matter whether he knows his assignments or not.

monty4329
10-28-2019, 12:01 PM
If Beli minutes go to Carroll, and the guy performs, then I am OK with Belinelli benched. But it doesn't make any sense to play Lonnie: he can't play NBA basket, it is so simple.
The guy can only jump and run around like a chicken with no head.

I get it that people playing NBA2K confuse professional organized basketball with a videogame, I am not trying to convince people who clearly do not understand basketball. I am just noting the obvious: LW is not an NBA player.

apalisoc_9
10-28-2019, 12:03 PM
Roger Mason Jr gave us a good christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtRuC0oRTJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4NbhRb862k

i remeber watching these game live in my college dorm. FUCK i feel old.

Mugen
10-28-2019, 12:05 PM
If Beli minutes go to Carroll, and the guy performs, then I am OK with Belinelli benched. But it doesn't make any sense to play Lonnie: he can't play NBA basket, it is so simple.

I get it that people playing NBA2K confuse professional organized basketball with a videogame, I am not trying to convince people who clearly do not understand basketball. I am just noting the obvious: LW is not an NBA player.

Just consistently one of the dumbest fucks on the board :lol

Fireball
10-28-2019, 12:11 PM
i remeber watching these game live in my college dorm. FUCK i feel old.

that was the day i realized League Pass existed ... i bought it around halftime and got one of the craziest endings with my first game

KobesAchilles
10-28-2019, 12:16 PM

Are you implying that Lonnie would do worse than average 2 points a game on 28% shooting and recording zero blocks and steals? Sorry I don’t understand basketball, so that’s why I’m asking.

itzsoweezee
10-28-2019, 12:24 PM
There is absolutely no basketball reason belinelli should be getting minutes over Walker. Blah blah blah he spaces the floor. Blah blah blah his passing. Who gives a shit?

You've got a young player with a lot of potential and you're choosing to play a vet who has no long term role with the team over him? That is beyond stupid. The only legitimate reason to play Marco over Lonnie is that the Spurs want to shop Marco. Anything else is just dumb.

GAustex
10-28-2019, 12:29 PM
It really comes down to POP not playing the young guy who has no defensive acumen.
I would play Walker over Beli but it ain’t me it’s POP.
Blame Pop.

apalisoc_9
10-28-2019, 12:31 PM
that was the day i realized League Pass existed ... i bought it around halftime and got one of the craziest endings with my first game

lol...I got league pass in 2011.

Do you remeber myp2p?

:lol

r0drig0lac
10-28-2019, 12:40 PM

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Mugen
10-28-2019, 12:42 PM
It really comes down to POP not playing the young guy who has no defensive acumen.
I would play Walker over Beli but it ain’t me it’s POP.
Blame Pop.

Nobody is blaming you :lol

monty4329
10-28-2019, 12:52 PM
Are you implying that Lonnie would do worse than average 2 points a game on 28% shooting and recording zero blocks and steals? Sorry I don’t understand basketball, so that’s why I’m asking.

You said it yourself, no use explaining if you don't understand. But hey, keep reading the box score: you save precious time instead of watching and observing games.

GAustex
10-28-2019, 01:05 PM
Nobody is blaming you :lol
Everyone is yelling at each other.
Yell at Pop

KobesAchilles
10-28-2019, 01:31 PM
You said it yourself, no use explaining if you don't understand. But hey, keep reading the box score: you save precious time instead of watching and observing games.

:lol triggered.
I can’t explain to you how missing 75% of your shots and not playing defense is actually a good thing but take my word for it, it is a very good thing :cry

vavvi
10-28-2019, 01:31 PM
Beli sucks so far this season but he’s not our big weakness which is playing no-Murray-no-White lineups. Mills-Forbes-DDR is a defensive catastrophe; benching Beli doesn’t automatically solve this problem

monty4329
10-28-2019, 01:38 PM
:lol triggered.
I can’t explain to you how missing 75% of your shots and not playing defense is actually a good thing but take my word for it, it is a very good thing :cry

No you can't, but you can try and explain how LW can -today- effectively play meaningful minutes of organized NBA basketball.

monty4329
10-28-2019, 01:45 PM
Beli sucks so far this season but he’s not our big weakness which is playing no-Murray-no-White lineups. Mills-Forbes-DDR is a defensive catastrophe; benching Beli doesn’t automatically solve this problem

Yes. But the real issue is we have no 3pt volume shooters. Not that I like it, but that is today's NBA. You can win games with a few minutes of bad defense, you can't win many of them shooting just the occasional 3, especially when the offense is static.

itzsoweezee
10-28-2019, 02:04 PM
Yes. But the real issue is we have no 3pt volume shooters. Not that I like it, but that is today's NBA. You can win games with a few minutes of bad defense, you can't win many of them shooting just the occasional 3, especially when the offense is static.

Well that is exactly the route popovich has chosen. It is not a coincidence that the bench was essentially responsible for Spurs wins last year. This year, they have even less shooting.

Let Lonnie play and see what we have in him. This is not a contending team regardless, especially if you think giving Bellineli minutes over Lonnie is going to be the difference between wins and losses.

exstatic
10-28-2019, 02:08 PM
Beli has played exactly 30 minutes so far, or, 17 minutes less than the guy on a minutes restriction. I think Pop thought he could turn him into a spot minutes player, but some guys can't make that transition. Hopefully, Lonnie's 4th Q minutes are a sign of things to come.

monty4329
10-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Well that is exactly the route popovich has chosen. It is not a coincidence that the bench was essentially responsible for Spurs wins last year. This year, they have even less shooting.

Let Lonnie play and see what we have in him. This is not a contending team regardless, especially if you think giving Bellineli minutes over Lonnie is going to be the difference between wins and losses.

Right now, Lonnie on the floor is not conductive to a win. We have enough guards who don't shoot 3s.
But I don't see why the alternative is Beli, though.

We signed Carroll for a lot of money, we'll see his production when he plays. Belinelli will either start making pull up 3s on the sparse occasions he gets the ball (note how few touches he has this year, and never out of a cut or a screen), or will not play.

itzsoweezee
10-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Right now, Lonnie on the floor is not conductive to a win. We have enough guards who don't shoot 3s.
But I don't see why the alternative is Beli, though.

We signed Carroll for a lot of money, we'll see his production when he plays. Belinelli will either start making pull up 3s on the sparse occasions he gets the ball (note how few touches he has this year, and never out of a cut or a screen), or will not play.

The same comments apply to carrol. Play the young guy with lots of potential over the washed up vet who will not be on the team in a year or two. Pretty simple

Dr. John R. Brinkley
10-28-2019, 02:42 PM
Beli has played exactly 30 minutes so far, or, 17 minutes less than the guy on a minutes restriction. I think Pop thought he could turn him into a spot minutes player, but some guys can't make that transition. Hopefully, Lonnie's 4th Q minutes are a sign of things to come.

That’s interesting, a reasonable response. A real rarity around here regarding this issue.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
10-28-2019, 02:50 PM
As a fan, I want walker to play more. But what’s not being considered is that if pop goes slow with him it might actually make him a hungrier, better player.

Now, as far as how to best utilize walker – – as a heat check score or defensive stopper – – that remains to be seen. I don’t know if Pop has an idea yet where he’s going with this in that regard. But giving the veteran player time to establish his role before it is removed (it’s been 2 games!) should be expected.

MannyIsGod
10-28-2019, 04:59 PM

There's no reason Beli should play over LW. Zero.

KobesAchilles
10-28-2019, 09:37 PM
Marco coming up BIG against a second round team like Portland. Never doubted him to begin with

Floyd Pacquiao
10-28-2019, 09:48 PM
Still a terrible player that plays losing basketball

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-28-2019, 10:09 PM
He’s trying to get more minutes... it worked for Patty Mills in the playoffs last year

phxspurfan
10-28-2019, 10:23 PM
Ferrari wasn’t bad today. Replacement level shooter, but not bad. Better shooter than Lonnie tbh, which was needed

ducks
10-28-2019, 10:28 PM
Trade him and fire pop
Becky much hotter and better coach

Play Boban
10-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Marco coming up BIG against a second round team like Portland. Never doubted him to begin with
BIG BALLZ FERRARI

Mugen
10-28-2019, 10:35 PM
Good news is that Lonnie is finally gonna get some burn this Thursday when Nephew & Co. are absolutely roasting the Spurs :lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-29-2019, 02:51 AM
The Patty-Marco tandem improves to +19.2 net rating on 34 total minutes played together.

RC_Drunkford
10-29-2019, 03:48 AM
The Patty-Marco tandem improves to +19.2 net rating on 34 total minutes played together.

One more reason to increase their playing time :pop:

koriwhat
10-29-2019, 05:02 PM
There's no reason Beli should play over LW. Zero.

From what I saw lastnight, I totally agree.

wildbill2u
10-29-2019, 07:11 PM
He also hasn't recorded a single block or steal, so he's playing his solid defense as usual. Is there a metric that measures how many points you score vs how many points you give up? Because he's gotta be like -20 in that department.

I've heard people defend Pop for playing him over Lonnie, but serious question, does anybody think Lonnie could play any worse than Marco? Fluffers, get in here and defend your coach

Well, look on the bright side. 2 pts only equals 28% means he isn't shooting much and is relying on his defense to keep in the rotation. Go SPurs

Roscoe P. Coltrane
10-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Trade him and fire pop
Becky much hotter and better coach You call other people cucks but you want sour puss face as coach?

Roscoe P. Coltrane
10-29-2019, 09:58 PM
Good news is that Lonnie is finally gonna get some burn this Thursday when Nephew & Co. are absolutely roasting the Spurs :lol That means you'll get to see first hand how bad he sucks.

drpill
10-29-2019, 10:07 PM
I don’t know why everyone assumes Marco’s minutes, if reduced, would go to Walker. Pop could also be looking for minutes for Carroll if he likes what he could bring to the table. I can only assume we will start to get a better look at both of these guys in games where core rotation players are resting.

Edit: I see this has been brought up already, my bad :lol

JeffDuncan
11-01-2019, 01:25 AM
Belinelli's consistency is amazing. In 17 minutes against the Clippers, 2 points.

Fireball
11-01-2019, 05:42 AM
Good news is that Lonnie is finally gonna get some burn this Thursday when Nephew & Co. are absolutely roasting the Spurs :lol

damn that did not turn out well :fight

KobesAchilles
11-08-2019, 08:19 AM
Another great game from Marco. 1 for 10 shooting. But that vet savy tho :cry

ZeusWillJudge
11-08-2019, 08:28 AM
What Marco gives up with poor defense, he makes up for with poor 3P shooting.

monty4329
11-08-2019, 10:06 AM
His minutes are there to be taken. Still, right now we have nobody who can make threes, pass and cut proficiently. Maybe Carroll will start kicking it in practice and gain minutes, or we'll have to just hope he gets out of the shooting slump.